Rosh Hoshana

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 10:30:53 AM9/17/01
Thanks, Martha, from me, anyway.

Hey, who's making what????

TOnight is my "classic" brisket recipe.
Noodle Pudding
Green Beans with Walnuts (I've posted this before)
Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
wontons)
And...Homemade Challah

For dessert: rugelah and jam-filled pastries, from the market

Tomorrow: Roasted Chicken with Herbs and vegetables
Egg Barley with mushrooms
Carrot-Sweet Potato Tsimmes
Soup from Monday
Green Beans from Monday
Challah from Monday
Dessert: leftover pastries

If anyone wants recipes, let me know.

--
Sheryl
~~Live like there's no tomorrow

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 17, 2001, 10:46:56 AM9/17/01
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Hey, who's making what????
>

>Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
>wontons)
>

>If anyone wants recipes, let me know.

I would love to check out your recipe for Kreplach. When I was still in
grade school, I read a very odd book, in which the main character had a
morbid fear of kreplach. I've been curious about it for nearly four
decades. (Damn, I'm getting old!) 37, keep repeating, I'm 37...

TIA,
Carol

Hag & Stenni / Mike & Carol Bradley

Sep 17, 2001, 11:02:25 AM9/17/01

Please my dear...I would love the Recipies...Tonights Menu sounds
Wonderful...We wish you peace and joy in your celebrations...Hag k

Rosie Miller

Sep 17, 2001, 11:29:37 AM9/17/01
In article <3ba60ff3...@news.ktis.net>, bra...@nospam.ktis.net (Hag &

Stenni / Mike & Carol Bradley) writes:

>>If anyone wants recipes, let me know.

Sheryl, your dinners always sound soo good, I don't want the recipes, I want to
be INVITED !!!!
Rosie
Wild Heart / Careful Mind...

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 12:07:06 PM9/17/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> I would love to check out your recipe for Kreplach. When I was still in
> grade school, I read a very odd book, in which the main character had a
> morbid fear of kreplach. I've been curious about it for nearly four
> decades. (Damn, I'm getting old!) 37, keep repeating, I'm 37...

To try to picture what kreplach are, think of a wonton filled with ground
beef that looks like its gone on a growth spurt brought on by a nuclear
mutation! Kreplach is a huge dumpling made with matzoh meal. The dumpling
part is very thick, which is why its much larger than a wonton.

arlene

Sep 17, 2001, 5:21:43 AM9/17/01
Not what I picture at all.

They have a dough wrap, with ground beef inside. You take a square piece of
dough, put a tsp of the ground beef inside, fold the dough into a triangle,
seal and then pinch two ends together.

This is a fast way to describe it.

Arlene

Boron Elgar

Sep 17, 2001, 12:48:27 PM9/17/01

What you describe is no where near what my mama used to make...or what
I make, either! I am used to small & delicate, flour based kreplach.

I have used this recipe as it tastes similar to my mom's, but has
actual measurements, rather than ones such as, "a bissle" or "a small
handful." This filling may be dolled up with any additional things
you wish...sometimes I put in a bit of dill or more garlic.

Boron

Kreplach

From Jewish Cooking in America, by Joan Nathan: (Knopf, 1994).

Meat Filling

2 pounds boneless chuck or brisket of beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic
1 carrot
1 piece of celery
3 medium onions
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Kreplach dough

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup lukewarm water
4 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)

1) Season the meat with salt and pepper and rub with the garlic.
Place in a heavy pot and surround with the carrot, celery, and 1
onion. Cook until lightly browned, then add water to cover and simmer
for an hour and a half.

2) While the meat is cooking, slice the remaining 2 onions and sauté
slowly in the oil until brown.

3) Remove the meat from the heat and let cool. Drain and coarsely
grind with all the onions, adding a little broth from the meat if
needed to make it moist enough to handle.

4) To make the dough, mix the oil, salt, and water in a bowl.
Gradually stir in the flour until a medium-soft dough is formed.
Place on a floured board. Knead until the dough is smooth and soft.
A food processor works well for this.

5) cut the dough into 3 portions. Roll out each piece of dough into a
rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 2- inch squares. Fill each
square with about a teaspoon of the meat mixture. Dipping your
fingers in flour, fold over into a triangle, and then crimp closed.
Join the 2 ends together like a little ring, as you would a tortellini
or a wonton. Repeat with the rest of the kreplach. If you like, you
an freeze the kreplach at this point. To do so, place them on a
cookie sheet in the freezer and, when froze, transfer them to plastic
freezer bags. Otherwise, refrigerate until ready to use.

6. To cook the kreplach, bring about 10 cups of water to a boil in a
big pot. Add the salt and about 20 kreplach at a time. When the
kreplach have risen to the top, cook for another 5minutes or until
they are al dente. Remove with a strainer to a bowl filled with
chicken soup, serving about 3 kreplach per person.

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 12:55:26 PM9/17/01
In article <hr9cqtosi24aacv7f...@4ax.com>,

Thanks, that's my recipe!
Only I cheat and use commercial wonton wrappers.
Delicious!

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 12:58:32 PM9/17/01
Boron Elgar <boron_elgar@"warm"mail.com> wrote:

> What you describe is no where near what my mama used to make...or what
> I make, either! I am used to small & delicate, flour based kreplach.

What I described is what my dear departed grandmother used to make. Its
also what is typically served when I order Kreplach in a Jewish deli, but
like most things, there are no doubt various ways to prepare it. Its
probably much like matzoh balls where some people make them the size of
golf balls and others the size of baseballs.

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 17, 2001, 1:01:25 PM9/17/01
Here's the recipe in MC format, for anyone who would like it that way.
Thanks, Boron and Sheryl!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kreplach

Recipe By :Jan Nathan
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef dumplings

---Meat Filling---
2 pounds beef brisket -- or boneless chuck
salt and pepper

1 clove garlic
1 carrot

1 stalk celery

[...]

Cuisine:
"Jewish"
Source:
"Jewish Cooking in America"
Copyright:
"Knopf, 1994"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : "I cheat and use commercial wonton wrappers."
~Sheryl Rosen~

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 17, 2001, 1:02:31 PM9/17/01
Oh, and I keep forgetting, until immediately after hitting send:

Happy Rosh Hoshana!

Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish friends
well on this special day

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 1:09:42 PM9/17/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> Happy Rosh Hoshana!

Thanks! Don't feel bad. Many Jews (non-observant), including me, sometimes
forget what our holidays are. Rosh Hashana is the Jewish New Year, if I
am not mistaken.

Michael Edelman

Sep 17, 2001, 1:44:28 PM9/17/01
Boron Elgar wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2001 16:07:06 GMT, st...@temple.edu wrote:
>
> >Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
> >To try to picture what kreplach are, think of a wonton filled with ground
> >beef that looks like its gone on a growth spurt brought on by a nuclear
> >mutation! Kreplach is a huge dumpling made with matzoh meal. The dumpling
> >part is very thick, which is why its much larger than a wonton.
>
> What you describe is no where near what my mama used to make...or what
> I make, either! I am used to small & delicate, flour based kreplach.

Ditto. My mom made small kreplach- not the huge, doughy ones you sometimes see.
I don't think anyone used matzoh meal- that's for knadelach.

Me, I use wonton wrappers.

--
-----------------------------------
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 2:28:27 PM9/17/01
In article <h3bcqtcfloqchotbs...@4ax.com>,

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

It's the New Year.
And may the new one be more peaceful than the old one was....

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 17, 2001, 2:33:32 PM9/17/01
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>It's the New Year.
>And may the new one be more peaceful than the old one was....

Amen.

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 2:32:17 PM9/17/01
In article <3BA6367C...@spamcop.net>,
Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:

Me too, Michael.
The kreplach are drying out on the counter, now.

Mandy tested the filling (on my finger, when I was finished making them)
and even she approves.

I cook mine right in the broth.
Yumm Yummm
It's just a shame that they take SO much effort to make and we slurp
them up in minutes!

Michael Edelman

Sep 17, 2001, 2:53:59 PM9/17/01
st...@temple.edu wrote:

> Thanks! Don't feel bad. Many Jews (non-observant), including me, sometimes
> forget what our holidays are. Rosh Hashana is the Jewish New Year, if I
> am not mistaken.

Yes, it's the beginning of the New Year.

Rosh - head
Ha - definite article
sha-na - Two thirds of a 1950s style rock group.

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 17, 2001, 3:08:13 PM9/17/01
Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>Rosh - head
>Ha - definite article
>sha-na - Two thirds of a 1950s style rock group.

Heehee! Thanks for a much-needed chuckle!

Damsel

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 3:02:40 PM9/17/01
Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Ditto. My mom made small kreplach- not the huge, doughy ones you sometimes see.
> I don't think anyone used matzoh meal- that's for knadelach.

Oops! I just realized I confused knadelach with kreplach.

Sorry for that.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 3:19:11 PM9/17/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
> Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:

Yes. Thanks Michael!

J. Helman

Sep 17, 2001, 4:36:51 PM9/17/01

I agree, please post the recipes. Thanks in advance.

PENMART01

Sep 17, 2001, 4:46:26 PM9/17/01
In article <3BA5C0A7...@taranto.com>, arlene <arl...@taranto.com> writes:

>Not what I picture at all.
>
>They have a dough wrap, with ground beef inside. You take a square piece of
>dough, put a tsp of the ground beef inside, fold the dough into a triangle,
>seal and then pinch two ends together.
>
>This is a fast way to describe it.

That's Won Ton. Kreplach is filled with cooked forcemeat.

Sheldon
````````````

Ranee Mueller

Sep 17, 2001, 4:36:16 PM9/17/01
In article <h3bcqtcfloqchotbs...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish
> friends well on this special day

It is the Jewish New Year. If my etymology is on, then it literally
means Head of the Year. In Arabic, it's Ras al-Sana, and means the same
thing.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Destashing now, e-mail for details.
See my family and some of my finished objects (E-mail me for password to

Hag & Stenni / Mike & Carol Bradley

Sep 17, 2001, 5:20:49 PM9/17/01

Amen to that...Hag k

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 17, 2001, 5:18:58 PM9/17/01
In article <catmandy-4B6C73...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Thanks, Martha, from me, anyway.
>
> Hey, who's making what????

(snip)

> Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
> wontons)

Yessss! Jewish pirohy!! "-)

(more snip)
--
-Herself
"I can, ergo, I am."

Curly Sue

Sep 17, 2001, 5:25:01 PM9/17/01

Kidzleativy too.

Wouldn't you?

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dotnet

Barry Grau

Sep 17, 2001, 5:49:25 PM9/17/01
st...@temple.edu wrote in message news:<9o5a3o$ovj$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>...

Stan,

Are you sure your grandmother used matzo meal in her kreplach? I've
never heard of that and I can't imagine how one would get a
noodle-like dough using it.

-bwg
Gute yahr

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 6:28:44 PM9/17/01
Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

> Kidzleativy too.
>
> Wouldn't you?

That depends on what Kidzleativy means, I guess?

Margaret Suran

Sep 17, 2001, 7:38:16 PM9/17/01

Put "Little" in front of it and you will know what it means. Perhaps
you are too young.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 8:22:07 PM9/17/01
Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com> wrote:

> Put "Little" in front of it and you will know what it means. Perhaps
> you are too young.

Perhaps I am too young because the meaning still eludes me.

zxcvbob

Sep 17, 2001, 8:36:49 PM9/17/01

Wouldn't ewe?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge,
Bob

***
Oatmeal Cake and Frosting

1 C oatmeal 1 1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C margerine 1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar 2 eggs
1 1/3 C flour 1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix oatmeal, margarine, and boiling water together. Let stand 5
minutes. Mix together remaining cake ingredients and add to oatmeal
mixture. Bake in greased and floured 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 35
minutes. Cool before frosting.

Frosting: Mix 1/3 C margarine, 3/4 C brown sugar, 3 Tbsp milk and a
pinch of salt. Boil for 1 minute, and 3/4 tsp vanilla and 1 1/2 C
nuts. Pour over cake.

Ranee Mueller

Sep 17, 2001, 8:37:01 PM9/17/01
In article <3BA69721...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:
> >
> > st...@temple.edu wrote:

> > > That depends on what Kidzleativy means, I guess?
> >
> > Put "Little" in front of it and you will know what it means. Perhaps
> > you are too young.
>

> Wouldn't ewe?
>
> Wink, wink, nudge, nudge,
> Bob

I'm only 25 and I know the song. It did take the hint from Margaret
first, though.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 17, 2001, 9:09:09 PM9/17/01
Ranee Mueller <ran...@harbornet.com> wrote:

> I'm only 25 and I know the song. It did take the hint from Margaret
> first, though.

I needed a little more than that hint before I got the meaning.
I guess my brain isn't working at optimum capcity right now!

Curly Sue

Sep 17, 2001, 9:10:10 PM9/17/01

Margaret provided all of the words:

Mairzie doats,
An doazie doats,
An liddle amzie divy.
A kiddly divy two,
Wooden tyu?

It was a stretch, but your statement "I confused knadelach with
kreplach" reminded me of "kiddly divy two" :>

Warren H. Prince

Sep 17, 2001, 10:10:29 PM9/17/01
Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Thanks, Martha, from me, anyway.
>
> Hey, who's making what????
>

> TOnight is my "classic" brisket recipe.
> Noodle Pudding
> Green Beans with Walnuts (I've posted this before)

> Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
> wontons)

> And...Homemade Challah
>
> For dessert: rugelah and jam-filled pastries, from the market
>
> Tomorrow: Roasted Chicken with Herbs and vegetables
> Egg Barley with mushrooms
> Carrot-Sweet Potato Tsimmes
> Soup from Monday
> Green Beans from Monday
> Challah from Monday
> Dessert: leftover pastries
>
> If anyone wants recipes, let me know.

We're doing:
Homemade Challah (with raisins this year)
Chicken soup with Kreplach
Chopped chicken liver
Rib Roast
Applesauce cake with carmel nut icing...

As to the kreplach, I prefer short rib meat (flankin ?) cooked off in soup.
I reserve the broth for later use. I add some mushrooms, chopped very
fine, and then sauted with some extra garlic. I mix the chopped mushrooms
in with the meat mixture.... Oh yeah, and I carmalize my onions, but not
real brown...

Rob & Rhonda Anderson

Sep 18, 2001, 7:46:26 AM9/18/01

<st...@temple.edu> wrote in message news:9o5tes$pig$2...@cronkite.temple.edu...

Mares eat oats
And does eat oats
And little lambs eat ivy
A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you.

Sung with all the words run together

--
Rhonda Anderson
Mt Pleasant, NSW, Australia

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 18, 2001, 8:51:50 AM9/18/01

Check here. It's a cute page with a semblance of the tune that I
remember:

http://www.ticon.net/~turbo/9-15-2000-THOUGHT-Mairzy.htm

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 10:13:38 PM9/17/01
In article <9o5aom$sgd$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>, st...@temple.edu wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
> > Oh, and I keep forgetting, until immediately after hitting send:
>
> > Happy Rosh Hoshana!
>
> > Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish friends
> > well on this special day
>

> Thanks! Don't feel bad. Many Jews (non-observant), including me, sometimes
> forget what our holidays are. Rosh Hashana is the Jewish New Year, if I
> am not mistaken.

I can't seem to find my post with all the recipes I posted, but just
wanted to follow up and say everything was delicious. The soup,
especially!!!! We each had 2 (small) bowls of soup, and didn't hve room
for the brisket!!!!!!

Oh, and I was a bit apprehensive about the Challah. I had never made it
before. The last time I tried this recipe, two yrs ago, it didn't rise.
This time, it came out Really Great! It needed to come out of the oven,
maybe 5 minutes sooner, but it was the perfect texture, inside. Rich,
sweet, but not sweet like cake--just nicely sweet and fluffy and small
holes. I was impressed.

Only thing is, the challah at the bakery (with raisins) comes out very
smooth...mine had "stretch marks"--it wasn't smooth, although it was
shiny, thanks to the egg wash.

Any suggestions? I've got a loaf of challah in the fridge, ready to rise
again and be baked tomorrow. ;-) The leftovers from tonight, will be
breakfast!!!!

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 10:27:20 PM9/17/01
In article <3BA68968...@rcn.com>, Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com>
wrote:

> st...@temple.edu wrote:
> >
> > Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kidzleativy too.
> > >
> > > Wouldn't you?
> >
> > That depends on what Kidzleativy means, I guess?
>

> Put "Little" in front of it and you will know what it means. Perhaps
> you are too young.

"Mares eat oats and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy.
A kid'll eat ivy too.
Wouldn't you?"

It's a popular song from the 1940's, I think.
Our parents' generation, Stan.

The words were written differently, but pronounced, that's how it sounded.
"Marezy-dotes and dozey-dotes
and little lamzy divey
Akidlytivey too
Wouldn't you?"

Harumph! And they said OUR music didn't make any sense!!!!

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 17, 2001, 5:22:27 PM9/17/01
In article <3BA65EE3...@blazenet.net>,
"J. Helman" <jhe...@blazenet.net> wrote:

Ok. I'll do today's menu now, and tomorrow's tomorrow!

@@@@@

Brisket

3 lbs first cut brisket
1 very large onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups (approx) red wine (I used beaujolais, it's what I had)
Paprika--1 tablespoon
Old World Seasoning (or Lawry's seasoned salt)
English Prime Rib Rub (or Adobo with black pepper)
1 can Rokeach Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms (avail. in Kosher foods aisle)
Bay leaf
Thyme

Season meat with Old world and Prime Rib rub, on both sides.
Brown in a large skillet on top of the stove. Use a bit of oil if the
meat is well trimmed. Otherwise, put the meat in fat side down.

When meat is browned, remove to a corningware (or similar) baking dish.

Add the onions, and cook until translucent. Add the wine and deglaze
the skillet. Add the paprika. Mix it all together. Add the tomato sauce
and heat until all are combined. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Stir.

Pour the onion/sauce mixture over the meat. Cover tightly with foil or
lid.

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours. The meat will be falling apart
tender.
Let rest before slicing, or....make it a day ahead, and chill. Slice
when cold. Then reheat in the cooking sauce.

Arrange on a platter with some of the onions from the pan and the gravy
on the side.
--------
@@@@@

New Year's Apple-Noodle Kugel

1 12 ounce bag medium noodles
3 eggs
1 cup chunky applesauce
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup walnuts

Boil noodles until soft, but not cooked thru. (about 3-5 minutes)
Drain. Do NOT rinse.

Meanwhile, beat eggs. Add cinnamon and sugar. Mix in applesauce,
raisins and nuts. Fold in the noodles, and mix gently until well coated
with egg mixture.

Pour into a greased baking pan, about 9 inches square. Smooth the top.

Bake at 350 for about 50 min to an hour, until golden brown and knife
inserted in the center is clean.

-----
The kreplach recipe was already posted.
I use cross-cut short ribs (flanken) to make the meat filling. You can
use chuck or other pot roast. I made my soup with the flanken (short
ribs), (along with lots of other bones) and then fished out the meat
from the broth. The broth was just a bunch of marrow bones, the short
ribs, (about 2 lbs of them) a couple carrots, a couple onions, a couple
pieces of celery. Some peppercorns....whatever else you wanna put in
there. The theory behind kreplach is to use meat you wouldn't eat
otherwise....like the meat you made the soup with. or leftover pot
roast, that wasn't enough for a meal, that sort of thing. Frugal
(DELICIOUS) eating! Kinda like ravioli, wontons, tortellini, etc.

Challah:
From "The Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking"
I have the book, but the recipe is here:

http://www.betterbaking.com/doub/doubleday2swee.html

----
Green Beans

I found this recipe in the Nov. 1994 issue of Bon Appetit, and it's been
a family favorite ever since.

@@@@@

GREEN BEANS WITH WALNUTS AND WALNUT OIL
(8 Servings)

2 pounds green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick butter)
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 cup chopped walnuts (about 3 3/4 oz.), toasted
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 shallot, finely minced

Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about
5 minutes. Drain. Rinse beans with cold water and drain well. (Can be
prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. saute
shallots. Add beans and toss until heated through, about 4 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Add walnuts and parsley and toss.
Transfer to bowl and serve.

Note: I have used sunny paris instead of the shallots and parsley, it's
over the top--really good. Either way, this is a fantastic, different
way to enjoy green beans. We have it at Thanksgiving instead of that
heavy mushroom soup and fried onion green bean casserole. Much more
elegant.

Will post again tomorrow with the chicken, egg barley and tsimmes
recipes.

mrpotter

Sep 18, 2001, 11:18:20 AM9/18/01
In article <catmandy-E817E5...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sheryl
Rosen says...

>In article <h3bcqtcfloqchotbs...@4ax.com>,

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and I keep forgetting, until immediately after hitting send:
>>
>> Happy Rosh Hoshana!
>>
>> Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish friends
>> well on this special day
>
>It's the New Year.
>And may the new one be more peaceful than the old one was....

Maybe we should have a "loyalty test" for all you Yids -- I'll dig up something
from the Joe McCarthy archives.

After all, wasn't this what you were calling for last week?

--
Best
Greg

mrpotter

Sep 18, 2001, 11:22:01 AM9/18/01
In article <catmandy-99A913...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sheryl
Rosen says...

>In article <3BA6367C...@spamcop.net>,
> Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar wrote:

>> > What you describe is no where near what my mama used to make...or what
>> > I make, either! I am used to small & delicate, flour based kreplach.
>> >

>> Ditto. My mom made small kreplach- not the huge, doughy ones you sometimes
>> see.
>> I don't think anyone used matzoh meal- that's for knadelach.
>>
>> Me, I use wonton wrappers.

>> --
>> -----------------------------------
>> Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net
>> http://www.foldingkayaks.org
>> http://www.findascope.com
>>

>Me too, Michael.
>The kreplach are drying out on the counter, now.
>
>Mandy tested the filling (on my finger, when I was finished making them)
>and even she approves.

Heh -- that's a LOVELY image -- the fat, unloved, and unemployed yenta has her
cat licking her stubby fingers....

>I cook mine right in the broth.
>Yumm Yummm
>It's just a shame that they take SO much effort to make and we slurp
>them up in minutes!

Aren't you fat enough already?

--
Best
Greg

GaryO

Sep 18, 2001, 2:46:59 PM9/18/01
I don't know the proper way to say this, but Happy Rosh Hoshana to
those for whom it is special. And to Israel, Happy Rosh Hoshana.
Thank you, Israel, for your part in the cease fire that you and the
PLO have come up with at such a crucial time for our
coalition-building in our new war against terrorism. I'm not sure
where and how to say thank you to the PLO for their part, but I
certainly do feel gratitude.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

C.J. Fuller

Sep 17, 2001, 8:27:32 PM9/17/01
In article <catmandy-E817E5...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

> In article <h3bcqtcfloqchotbs...@4ax.com>,

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>

> > Oh, and I keep forgetting, until immediately after hitting send:
> >
> > Happy Rosh Hoshana!
> >
> > Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish friends
> > well on this special day
>
> It's the New Year.
> And may the new one be more peaceful than the old one was....

Sheryl, Stan, and others-L'shanah tovah, y'all! I made the mistake of
giving my first exam in the intro nutrition course this evening. Only 2
out of 87 needed to take a makeup. This is what happens when your SO's
Bar Mitzvah didn't take-you forget to check for the dates of the High
Holy Days.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfu...@mindspring.com>

Amy Hendrix

Sep 17, 2001, 9:40:26 PM9/17/01
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> In article
> <catmandy-4B6C73...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>> Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar
>> to wontons)
>
> Yessss! Jewish pirohy!! "-)

And who says pirohy aren't just goyische kreplach? ;-p

--
Amy Hendrix - Durham, NC
DO NOTHING, UNSUCCESSFULLY

st...@temple.edu

Sep 18, 2001, 3:04:58 PM9/18/01

Let's all hope that this cease fire really is the last one that
is ever needed between the Israelis and Palistinians. If so, then
this be a very good year on the Hebrew calendar indeed.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 18, 2001, 3:02:33 PM9/18/01
C.J. Fuller <cjfu...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Sheryl, Stan, and others-L'shanah tovah, y'all! I made the mistake of
> giving my first exam in the intro nutrition course this evening. Only 2
> out of 87 needed to take a makeup. This is what happens when your SO's
> Bar Mitzvah didn't take-you forget to check for the dates of the High
> Holy Days.

Thanks for the good wishes Cindy. Did you get any complaints about
the timing of your test?

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 18, 2001, 5:12:24 PM9/18/01
In article <Xns911FDC900527Da...@198.99.146.10>,
am...@mindspring.com (Amy Hendrix) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > In article
> > <catmandy-4B6C73...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> > Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >> Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar
> >> to wontons)
> >
> > Yessss! Jewish pirohy!! "-)
>
> And who says pirohy aren't just goyische kreplach? ;-p

Me. "-) "My rolling pin's bigger than your rolling pin."

PENMART01

Sep 18, 2001, 5:20:17 PM9/18/01
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Me. "-) "My rolling pin's bigger than your rolling pin."

Mine's got ball bearings! ;)

Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

Sep 18, 2001, 5:22:16 PM9/18/01

Now I think I've seen everything. Pin's envy.

Snickeringly,
Bob

--
"You're dealing with organs that people just don't want to know
about!"

Trinker

Sep 18, 2001, 6:19:11 PM9/18/01

Amy Hendrix wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > In article
> > <catmandy-4B6C73...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> > Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >> Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar
> >> to wontons)
> >
> > Yessss! Jewish pirohy!! "-)
>
> And who says pirohy aren't just goyische kreplach? ;-p

Bah...both of those are just pale imitation wonton. ;)

C.J. Fuller

Sep 18, 2001, 6:36:07 PM9/18/01

Only from the two students who'll be taking the makeup-remember that
Greensboro is smack in the middle of the Bible Belt. Although I was
roundly chastised by a Jewish friend of mine. I told her that, as a
Unitarian, I was an equal-opportunity offender. Last semester I had the
temerity to request a makeup class on Maundy Thursday (the day before
Good Friday) for one we'd missed due to an ice storm. That idea was
roundly rejected by the Catholic and Southern Baptists in the class.

zxcvbob

Sep 18, 2001, 6:51:41 PM9/18/01

Maundy Thursday? I've never heard of it before. I'm a very
conservative Baptist but not Southern Baptist. I think my church does
have a communion service during the Holy Week, but I don't remember it
ever being on Thursday. Catholics and Lutherans maybe?

Live and learn, I guess. Thanks!

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. I've also never heard "temerity" and "Unitarian" used together
before. ;-)

J. Helman

Sep 18, 2001, 7:51:21 PM9/18/01

Presbyterians also. It commemorates the Last Supper.

Rob & Rhonda Anderson

Sep 19, 2001, 8:28:10 AM9/19/01

"zxcvbob" <b...@a51web.net> wrote in message

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Me. "-) "My rolling pin's bigger than your rolling pin."
> > --
> > -Herself
> > "I can, ergo, I am."
> > <www.JamLady.eboard.com>
> > ---->> More Fair pix added 8/28/01
>

> Now I think I've seen everything. Pin's envy.
>
> Snickeringly,
> Bob

I'm glad I'd just finished swallowing that last mouthful of drink! Good one,
Bob.

MH

Sep 19, 2001, 9:41:31 AM9/19/01
> > Me. "-) "My rolling pin's bigger than your rolling pin."
> > --
> Now I think I've seen everything. Pin's envy.
>
> Snickeringly,
> Bob

According to those on that Cook's Illustrated tv show (the show where they
always know the *best* way of doing things) a thin rolling pin is better
than a big thick one. So, now we know what their problem is. : )

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 19, 2001, 9:53:05 AM9/19/01
In article <20010918172017...@nso-fo.aol.com>,
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

Sheldon, I couldn't have said it better myself -- and I wish I had!!

OB Food: My recollection of this recipe is that the crust is a bitch to
roll out -- it's stickier than heck.
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Apple Pie Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Base:
8 oz. light caramels (about 28)
1/2 cup evaporated milk or light cream
Crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 egg
1/4 cup cold water
Filling:
6 cups peeled sliced apples
(about 6 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice (2 to 4)
Cream Cheese Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Melt caramels with evaporated milk over boiling water, stirring
occasionally. Keep over hot water.

Sift flour, sugar and salt into mixing bowl. Cut in butter until
particles are fine. Blend cooking oil with egg and cold water until
smooth and creamy; add to dry ingredients. Stir until mixture holds
together. Form into a square. Roll out on ungreased 18x14˛ sheet of
heavy aluminum foil to 17x12˛ rectangle. Fold edge to form a standing
rim; flute. Fold foil up around pastry to make a pan. Place on cookie
sheet. (A 15x10˛ jelly roll pan may be substituted for foil but itąll
be a monster to roll the dough in the pan -- itąs a sticky dough.)

Combine filling ingredients and spread on pastry. Drizzle melted
caramel sauce in strips over apples.

Cream together the cream cheese, egg and sugar until fluffy and smooth;
spoon between caramel sauce. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm or
cold.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Pillsburyąs 14th Grand National Bake-Off Cookbook,
from 1963. Recipe was called Apple Pie Ś63, the $25,000 grand prize
winner. 11/9/93, the first baking project in my new kitchen! Havenąt
made this in 20 years! Crust tastes kind of blah. Itąs pretty putzy to
make.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 3714 Calories; 258g Fat (61%
calories from fat); 41g Protein; 332g Carbohydrate; 919mg Cholesterol;
4925mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 20 1/2 Fruit; 48 Fat;
21 Other Carbohydrates
_____

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 19, 2001, 9:57:15 AM9/19/01
In article <3BA7CFFD...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
wrote:

> "C.J. Fuller" wrote:
> >
> > In article <9o85o9$eqq$1...@cronkite.temple.edu>, st...@temple.edu wrote:
> >
> > > C.J. Fuller <cjfu...@mindspring.com> wrote:

(snip) Last semester I had

> > the
> > temerity to request a makeup class on Maundy Thursday (the day before
> > Good Friday) for one we'd missed due to an ice storm. That idea was
> > roundly rejected by the Catholic and Southern Baptists in the class.
> > Cindy
>
> Maundy Thursday? I've never heard of it before. I'm a very
> conservative Baptist but not Southern Baptist. I think my church does
> have a communion service during the Holy Week, but I don't remember it
> ever being on Thursday. Catholics and Lutherans maybe?

Eastern Orthodox, Luterans, dunno about the Catholics.

> Live and learn, I guess.

Even 50ish and balding, wearing a wrinkled business suit, you're never
too old to learn, Roberto.

Thanks!

> Best regards,
> Bob

OB Food
This is pretty good! I think I'll remember it when we go to The
GirlChild's for Thanksgiving Dinner.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Pumpkin Ice Cream Squares

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 9

Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method

1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 can pumpkin (16 oz.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 quart vanilla ice cream softened
Whipped cream
Pecans

Mix crumbs with sugar and butter. Press into bottom of 9" square pan.
Combine pumpkin with sugar, salt and spices. Fold in ice cream (mixture
is quite soupy). Pour into pan. Cover and freeze until firm. Cut into
squares about 20 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream and
pecans, if desired.

----------
Notes: Source: Jean Lawrence, 1970s?

Per serving: 293 Calories; 13g Fat (39% calories from fat); 3g Protein;
43g Carbohydrate; 39mg Cholesterol; 307mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 2 Other

zxcvbob

Sep 19, 2001, 11:26:49 AM9/19/01
> > Live and learn, I guess.
>
> Even 50ish and balding, wearing a wrinkled business suit, you're never
> too old to learn, Roberto.

Ack!!!! NO! That's not me! Really! (You've been reading my usenet
messages again ;)

Best regards,
Bob

BTW, you should see the looks on ppl's faces at church when I *do*
wear a suit. They are less surprised when I wear a Hawaiian shirt.

J. Helman

Sep 19, 2001, 11:50:19 AM9/19/01
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <3BA7CFFD...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
> wrote:

> (snip) Last semester I had
> > > the
> > > temerity to request a makeup class on Maundy Thursday (the day before
> > > Good Friday) for one we'd missed due to an ice storm. That idea was
> > > roundly rejected by the Catholic and Southern Baptists in the class.
> > > Cindy
> >
> > Maundy Thursday? I've never heard of it before. I'm a very
> > conservative Baptist but not Southern Baptist. I think my church does
> > have a communion service during the Holy Week, but I don't remember it
> > ever being on Thursday. Catholics and Lutherans maybe?
>
> Eastern Orthodox, Luterans, dunno about the Catholics.

Catholics call it Holy Thursday, but it's the same thing.

Viol...@yahoo.com

Sep 20, 2001, 2:42:12 AM9/20/01
to st...@temple.edu
Rosh Ha-Shanah=Head (of) The Year. It's the Jewish New Year, the "Birthday of
the World." The holiday is both festive and solemn. Rosh Hashanah and Yom
Kippur (the 25 hour fast that takes place next week) are also known as the High
Holidays.

I live a few blocks from the huge hall in which my synagogue hold services for
the congregation and the larger community, so I invite 40 or 50 people to lunch
after services and before Tashlich, an afternoon service that must be held at a
body of water. (We use a lake in the huge park across the street.)

I served them:

Salmon, brined and baked w/ two green sauces (an Italian one and an Indian one,
both from Celia Roden's marvelous book of Jewish cooking). Fish is traditional
for the New Year

Pickled herring w/ sour cream. (My grandfather would have kvelled to see me
pickling the herring myself.)

Green salad w/ pommegranate seeds and pistachios. (Pommegranates are traditional
for the new year, on which one is supposed to eat a fruit that one has not had in
some time; pommegranates are also valued because folk tradition has it that they
contain 613 seeds, the same as the number of commandments.)

Tabouli, with lots of parsley (because fresh greens are also traditional in some
Jewish communities.) .

Noodle kugel, with apples and raisins. (On Rosh Hashanah, we eat things that are
round and things that are sweet.)

Caponata. (Not particularly Jewish, but always a hit.)

Chick pea salad. (Chick peas are traditional among some Sephardic Jews; round
beans are a traditional new year's food in many cultures.)

New pickles (home made)

Pita bread (purchased)

Challah. (also purchased, the round, raisin-studded version available only at
this time of year).

Deserts: Many, so that it may be a sweet year. .
Apples dipped in honey (the most traditional of all Rosh Hashanah foods)
Honey cake.
Ginger ginger cake (from Maida Heater's stupendous recipe)
Plum cake (another tradition; I think the plums must have been newly in
season in the parts of
eastern Europe from which my family came)
Fresh and dried fruits
Halvah and wonderful Russian chocolates filled with honey.

Iced mint tea, coffee, juices and wines.

Too much of everything, of course.

Wishing everyone (whether you celebrate it or not), a happy, sweet, and peaceful
new year.

V.

st...@temple.edu wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
> > Oh, and I keep forgetting, until immediately after hitting send:
>
> > Happy Rosh Hoshana!
>
> > Damsel, who has no clue what Rosh Hoshana is, but wishes her Jewish friends
> > well on this special day

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 20, 2001, 10:01:26 AM9/20/01

Your celebrations sounds wonderful!
Thanks for posting this.

hotspots

Sep 21, 2001, 5:55:21 AM9/21/01
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:30:53 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

>Thanks, Martha, from me, anyway.
>
>Hey, who's making what????
>
>TOnight is my "classic" brisket recipe.
>Noodle Pudding
>Green Beans with Walnuts (I've posted this before)

>Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
>wontons)

>And...Homemade Challah

Tell me something about brisket please. Where I live brisket is a cut
of beef that one only buys when one cant afford anything else. We
used to see corned brisket but never these days. Corned silverside is
about it for corned meat. I always understood from my mother that
brisket was very very tough meat.

>For dessert: rugelah and jam-filled pastries, from the market
>
>Tomorrow: Roasted Chicken with Herbs and vegetables
>Egg Barley with mushrooms
>Carrot-Sweet Potato Tsimmes
>Soup from Monday
>Green Beans from Monday
>Challah from Monday
>Dessert: leftover pastries
>
>If anyone wants recipes, let me know.
>

>--
>Sheryl
>~~Live like there's no tomorrow
>~~Love like you've never been hurt
>~~And Dance like there's nobody watching

hotspots

lee

Sep 21, 2001, 7:47:19 PM9/21/01
Could you post the noodle pudding recipe? Thanks!
debra-

hotspots <hots...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in article
<3bab0e23...@news.akl.ihug.co.nz>...

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 21, 2001, 9:30:22 PM9/21/01
hots...@ihug.co.nz (hotspots) wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:30:53 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Martha, from me, anyway.
> >
> >Hey, who's making what????
> >
> >TOnight is my "classic" brisket recipe.
> >Noodle Pudding
> >Green Beans with Walnuts (I've posted this before)
> >Beef broth with beef-filled Kreplach (a soup dumpling, similar to
> >wontons)
> >And...Homemade Challah
>
> Tell me something about brisket please. Where I live brisket is a cut
> of beef that one only buys when one cant afford anything else. We
> used to see corned brisket but never these days. Corned silverside is
> about it for corned meat. I always understood from my mother that
> brisket was very very tough meat.
> >

> hotspots

Brisket used to be very inexpensive to buy, and in many places, it still
is. Not here in Connecticut, however. It's basically the chest muscle of
the cow.

It can be tough as shoe leather, if it's not done right.

But when it's cooked correctly (lots of onions, low, moist heat for
several hours) it transforms into one of the most succulent, delicious
things that can come out your kitchen!

In Texas and elsewhere, people are fond of smoking brisket for a long
period of time. Same effect, low, slow, moist heat---with outstanding
results. In fact, in Texas, "barbecue" usually is synonymous with
Brisket.

It is often cured and sold as "corned beef". Not sure where the origin
of the term "corned beef" is (Sheldon, got a definition for us?), but
the best corned beefs are brisket.

It was my understanding, from reading posts from other people in
Australia and New Zealand, that "silverside" was the same as brisket.

The three main ways of using brisket of beef is (In no particular order)
1. Corned Beef
2. Pot Roast
3. Barbecued (slow smoked)

hotspots

Sep 22, 2001, 12:48:40 AM9/22/01
On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:30:22 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

I've actually seen both as corned meat - but for a long time there has
only been silverside. It may be what you call brisket because I
noticed when I was in the USA some of the beef cuts were not only
different but went by different names. We don't have a round roast,
for instance, and our eye fillet is what you call the fillet mignon.

I use gravy beef (do you have that?) which is a very inexpensive
stewing steak for cooking goulash, for which I have a Czech recipe
that is very good - and it is a long slow moist cook as well. I
tried using a better cut of stewing steak once and the meat broke up -
so I learned my lesson.

>The three main ways of using brisket of beef is (In no particular order)
>1. Corned Beef
>2. Pot Roast
>3. Barbecued (slow smoked)
>
>--
>Sheryl
>~~Live like there's no tomorrow
>~~Love like you've never been hurt
>~~And Dance like there's nobody watching

hotspots

Victor Sack

Sep 22, 2001, 2:51:22 AM9/22/01
Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> wrote:

> It was my understanding, from reading posts from other people in
> Australia and New Zealand, that "silverside" was the same as brisket.

Nope. Theirs are English cuts and brisket happens to be identical to
the American brisket. Silverside is a part of what is called 'round' in
America.

Victor

PENMART01

Sep 22, 2001, 9:16:16 AM9/22/01
In article <catmandy-723502...@news2.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sheryl
Rosen <catm...@optonline.net> writes:

>It is often cured and sold as "corned beef". Not sure where the origin
>of the term "corned beef" is (Sheldon, got a definition for us?), but
>the best corned beefs are brisket.

corned beef
Beef (usually BRISKET, but also ROUND) CURED in a seasoned BRINE. Sometimes the
brine is pumped through the arterial system.

The term "corned" beef comes from the English use of the word "corn," meaning
any small particle (such as a grain of salt).

Two types of corned beef are available, depending on the butcher and the
region. Old-fashioned corned beef is grayish-pink in color and very salty; the
newer style has less salt and is a bright rosy red. Much corned beef is now
being made without nitrites, which are reputed to be carcinogenic.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

T&L Mazzaccaro

Sep 22, 2001, 3:13:17 PM9/22/01

Beef is not the only food corned. I was driving through eastern North
Carolina a few years back and stopped for lunch at a barbecue joint. On
their list of daily specials was corned herring. I had never this before
and ordered a plate. It was salt cured herring that was headed and
butterfly filleted like some rainbow trout. It was lightly breaded and
deep fried. It was very good but a bit salty. I asked the waitress about
the dish, and she told me this is a local product that is made to
preserve herring which are only caught in early spring. I wonder if you
can also call baccala corned cod?

Tony

lee

Sep 25, 2001, 12:18:24 PM9/25/01

Could you post the noodle pudding recipe? Thanks!

Debra-

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 25, 2001, 12:30:13 PM9/25/01
In article <01c145dd$ac932d20$92dfd9d1@default>, "lee" <b...@slic.com>
wrote:

Already did, but I went back to Google and found it for you:

@@@@@

New Year's Apple-Noodle Kugel

1 12 ounce bag medium noodles
3 eggs
1 cup chunky applesauce
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup walnuts

Boil noodles until soft, but not cooked thru. (about 3-5 minutes)
Drain. Do NOT rinse.

Meanwhile, beat eggs. Add cinnamon and sugar. Mix in applesauce,
raisins and nuts. Fold in the noodles, and mix gently until well coated
with egg mixture.

Pour into a greased baking pan, about 9 inches square. Smooth the top.

Bake at 350 for about 50 min to an hour, until golden brown and knife
inserted in the center is clean.

zxcvbob

Sep 25, 2001, 12:39:25 PM9/25/01
What kind of noodles? Wide egg noodles? I'm not sure what "medium"
means. Could you make something like this with good tasting but mealy
(overripe) apples instead of applesauce? Thanks!
Bob

lee

Sep 25, 2001, 12:42:38 PM9/25/01
Thankyou very much!
Debra-

Sheryl Rosen <catm...@optonline.net>

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 25, 2001, 1:43:42 PM9/25/01
In article <3BB0B33D...@a51web.net>, zxcvbob <b...@a51web.net>
wrote:

> What kind of noodles? Wide egg noodles? I'm not sure what "medium"
> means. Could you make something like this with good tasting but mealy
> (overripe) apples instead of applesauce? Thanks!
> Bob

I meant noodles of a medium width. You could use wide ones.
Either one is fine.

And yes, by all means, use mealy apples.

The thing about kugel is, its frugal cooking. It developed as a way to
stretch a few odds and ends that were leftover. A bit of apple, a bit
of nuts, a bit raisins, some diced plums, mixed together with eggs and
noodles, and you've got something better than the sum of its parts.

lee

Sep 27, 2001, 6:46:09 AM9/27/01
Thankyou!
Debra-