Your Favorite Tomato Recipes

clancy

Sep 19, 2001, 9:53:30 PM9/19/01
Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
just too delicious to waste.

Sharon (N.B.)

Martin Golding

Sep 19, 2001, 11:48:56 PM9/19/01
clancy <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> their favorite uses for these tasty critters?

BLT. (Yeah, boring. Bite me. Better, bite one of the big red ripe juicy
tomatoes sitting in the box in the garage).

Fry up really _good_ bacon, the thick stuff that's hard to get crisp and
tastes like _meat_ and salt and crispy. Take a loaf of good bread, that
won't squash down to a neat thumbsized lump for storage, and toast a lot
of it. Smear a slice of toast with vast quantities of good mayonnaise,
top with bacon, tomatoes sliced AT LEAST a half inch thick, a leaf of
lettuce (not that you need to, but that _is_ what it's called. Though if
you happen to forget that part, we'll overlook it) and another slice of
toast _also_ coated with vast quantities of mayonnaise.

If you don't have to wash your elbows, you didn't use enough mayonnaise.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | I cook, therefore I am. You eat.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | What's THAT supposed to prove?

decobabe

Sep 20, 2001, 3:51:28 AM9/20/01

"Martin Golding" <mar...@buddy.fryar.penguinpowered.com> wrote in message
Martin, you are absolutely correct. This is the tomato's pinnacle.
For a change, however, make a fresh tomato sauce as follows:
Cut tomatoes and squeeze out some of the watery juice, if that's the kind
you have. Put them in the food processor and pulse to a rough chop.
In a big frying pan, sautee garlic and chopped onion until transparent.
Season with salt and one or two dried herbs (I like oregano and thyme.)
Start pasta water and cook something like rotelli or shells, that will
gather up this kind of sauce, elbows are fine, too. When the pasta is
cooking, heat the pan full of onions and dump in the tomatoes. Cook just
until the tomatoes start to release juices, they are still somewhat raw, but
are thinking about being cooked.
If you've made more than you need for the pasta, keep in the fridge and use
for bruschetta, pizza, or sauce for quick grilled meats. This is not like
ragu, done done done, but a sparkly fresh tomato flavor impossible to
experience in any other season. It is meant to taste primarily of tomato,
not anything else.

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 20, 2001, 8:50:15 AM9/20/01
In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "clancy"
<cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

Martin is on the right path -- no sense to make a BLT with inferior
cardboard-flavor tomatoes. Gather ye tomatoes while ye may. Or
something. Don't forget about a plain ol' tomato and mayo sammich,
either. White bread, a nice schmear of mayo, tomato slices, a little
s&p, topped with another mayo-schmeared piece of white bread. I'd
forgotten how tasty that is.
--
-Herself
"I can, ergo, I am."

Young

Sep 20, 2001, 8:51:51 AM9/20/01
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "clancy"
> <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> > their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
> > garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
> > just too delicious to waste.
> >
> > Sharon (N.B.)
>
> Martin is on the right path -- no sense to make a BLT with inferior
> cardboard-flavor tomatoes. Gather ye tomatoes while ye may. Or
> something. Don't forget about a plain ol' tomato and mayo sammich,
> either. White bread, a nice schmear of mayo, tomato slices, a little
> s&p, topped with another mayo-schmeared piece of white bread. I'd
> forgotten how tasty that is.

Herself! It's pita bread!

Some people.

nancy

K3

Sep 20, 2001, 9:02:05 AM9/20/01
"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "clancy"
> <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone
posting
> > their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
> > garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
> > just too delicious to waste.
> >
> > Sharon (N.B.)

a large plate of tomatoes (cut into wedges) topped with extra-virgin olive
oil, red-wine vinegar, fresh-picked basil and course-ground black pepper.
One of my favorite mid-day snacks (this time of year). Sometimes I'll even
add 1/2 of a can of tuna and/or a big scoop of low-fat cottage cheese & a
few peperoncinis (sp?).

Mmmmm!!!

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

Rob & Rhonda Anderson

Sep 20, 2001, 9:55:19 AM9/20/01

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Martin is on the right path -- no sense to make a BLT with inferior
> cardboard-flavor tomatoes. Gather ye tomatoes while ye may. Or
> something. Don't forget about a plain ol' tomato and mayo sammich,
> either. White bread, a nice schmear of mayo, tomato slices, a little
> s&p, topped with another mayo-schmeared piece of white bread. I'd
> forgotten how tasty that is.

Good grief, all these people ruining good tomatoes with mayonnaise <g>! For
me a good tomato sandwich is just white bread, butter (marg, actually),
tomato and salt. There's that cultural difference (butter vs mayo) thing
again <g>. Actually, I quite often have them without the butter/marg. If
eating straightaway the bread doesn't have time to get soggy. Another nice
thing to do with tomatoes - take a nice thick slice of sourdough bread,
toast lightly, top with good thick slices of ripe tomato, a few shavings of
parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar. I ate this for lunch
almost every Saturday and Sunday last summer and am looking forward to it
again this summer.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Mt Pleasant, NSW, Australia

Young

Sep 20, 2001, 9:55:40 AM9/20/01
Rob & Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> Good grief, all these people ruining good tomatoes with mayonnaise <g>! For
> me a good tomato sandwich is just white bread, butter (marg, actually),

MARGERINE???? Rhonda, I'm disappointed.

nancy

ConnieG999

Sep 20, 2001, 10:23:30 AM9/20/01
"clancy" <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> writes:

>Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
>their favorite uses for these tasty critters?

1. Slice them to your liking, lay out on a plate alternating with a good
mozzarella cheese, sprinkle sparingly with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano,
drizzle with olive oil (or oil/vinegar dressing or Italian dressing if you
must) and serve VERY cold.

2. Tomato gravy, also known as creamed tomatoes - for the ones that may not be
quite so pretty. Dip, peel, chop to preferred size, reserving all juice. Simmer
until tomatoes are softened. Add tomatoes and juice to a medium-thick white
sauce. Salt and pepper only - no extra herbs. If yo like a less acidic taste,
add a teaspoon of sugar. Serve over hot buttered home-made biscuits.

Rob & Rhonda Anderson

Sep 20, 2001, 10:38:55 AM9/20/01

"Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

Sorry <g>. I was brought up on it, we never, ever had butter in the house,
and I'm just used to it. Plus, butter is just way too hard to spread <g>. I
use butter in baking, and in other cooking if the flavour is really
important. A lot of the time I have no butter/marg on sandwiches, anyway.
The margarine I use tastes ok, and I'm more used to the taste of that on,
say toast, than the taste of butter. If I have butter on toast, for example
if eating breakfast at a hotel or such, it never tastes quite right.

Becca

Sep 20, 2001, 12:00:34 PM9/20/01
Fry the green ones. Slice the tomatoes, sprinkle with salt & pepper,
dip them in corn meal, fry.

Becca

Michael Edelman

Sep 20, 2001, 1:28:31 PM9/20/01
A couple of thick slices of home-grown tomato with salt and fresh pepper on
homemade bread with a thin smear of real mayonnaise.
--
-----------------------------------
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net

GaryO

Sep 20, 2001, 3:22:38 PM9/20/01
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote in message news:<20010920102330...@nso-ml.aol.com>...

There are innumerable variations on this basic theme.

Salsa Fresca

5 very ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 large Jalapenos, seeded, deveined, and chopped
1-1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or chopped fresh marjoram (optional)
salt
freshly ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 2 hours to
allow flavors to mingle. Serve with corn tortilla chips for dipping.
If optional fresh herbs are not available, substitute by 1/4 amount of
dried herb, if using.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

Richard Kaszeta

Sep 20, 2001, 3:24:52 PM9/20/01
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) writes:

> "clancy" <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> >Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> >their favorite uses for these tasty critters?
>
> 1. Slice them to your liking, lay out on a plate alternating with a good
> mozzarella cheese, sprinkle sparingly with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano,
> drizzle with olive oil (or oil/vinegar dressing or Italian dressing if you
> must) and serve VERY cold.

And basil. Must have basil. :)

--
Richard W Kaszeta
ri...@kaszeta.org

GaryO

Sep 20, 2001, 8:50:42 PM9/20/01
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote in message news:<20010920102330...@nso-ml.aol.com>...

Salsa Fresca

That was only 1 medium onion (when the original post eventually gets
posted). And you can go from using tsp all the way to the posted tbsp
for the optional herbs.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

Dog 3

Sep 21, 2001, 12:45:53 AM9/21/01

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Lots of things to do with decent tomatoes. I love them sliced with just
plain old salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over
sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper. If you have a
juicer fresh tomato juice is incredible. Stuff tomatoes with tuna salad.

Michael

Dog 3

Sep 21, 2001, 12:56:25 AM9/21/01

"Michael Edelman" <m...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> A couple of thick slices of home-grown tomato with salt and fresh pepper
on
> homemade bread with a thin smear of real mayonnaise.
> --
> -----------------------------------
> Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net

Mmmm.. and don't forget to throw on a couple of capers.

Michael

Dog 3

Sep 21, 2001, 1:54:57 AM9/21/01

"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

> 2. Tomato gravy, also known as creamed tomatoes - for the ones that may
not be
> quite so pretty. Dip, peel, chop to preferred size, reserving all juice.
Simmer
> until tomatoes are softened. Add tomatoes and juice to a medium-thick
white
> sauce. Salt and pepper only - no extra herbs. If yo like a less acidic
taste,
> add a teaspoon of sugar. Serve over hot buttered home-made biscuits.

Ohhhhh.... this sounds promising. I've never had this before. Thanks.

Michael

ConnieG999

Sep 21, 2001, 12:56:49 AM9/21/01
"Dog 3" <do...@mindspring.com> writes:

>Ohhhhh.... this sounds promising. I've never had this before. Thanks.

Michael, this is a standard "poor man's dinner" from my Appalachian childhood.
But lordy, is it good!! Great winter dinner, or comfort food anytime.

Dog 3

Sep 21, 2001, 2:59:43 AM9/21/01

"Richard Kaszeta" <ri...@kaszeta.org> wrote in message

I forgot to put that in my post. Yep, basil is a must ;-)

Here's a recipe that looks tempting and easy:

Michael

Today's Recipe: Asparagus and Tomato Salad with Yogurt Dressing
Submitted by: Elvee O.

This salad takes me no more than 10 minutes to prepare. It's
very simple, but that's the beauty of it. You don't need to
add much to fresh asparagus and tomato to make them taste
fantastic.

Ingredients:

10 ounces asparagus tips and tender stems
1 tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp. green onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. non-fat plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated (fresh is best)
1 tsp. dijon mustard
10 lettuce leaves

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine the asparagus, tomatoes, onions.
Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cheese and mustard.
Add to the vegetable mixture and toss until well coated.

To serve, line salad plates with romaine lettuce leaves and
spoon salad on top.

Victor Sack

Sep 21, 2001, 2:54:34 AM9/21/01
clancy <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> their favorite uses for these tasty critters?

- Gaspacho

- Coulis de Tomates ą la moutarde. Here is a recipe from 'An Omelette
and a Glass of Wine' by Elizabeth David.

Victor

Coulis de Tomates ą la moutarde

This is really an alternative to the aļoli, in case you have anti-garlic
guests. But it is an excellent sauce in its own right, hot with a
boiled chicken, beef, lamb and fish, or cold as in the present case.
Ingredients are 2 lb. of tomatoes, a small onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1
carrot, a little piece of celery top, half a dozen parsley stalks, a
teaspoon of dried basil, a dessertspoon of salt, two tablespoons of
olive oil, 4 teaspoons of yellow Dijon mustard.
Heat the oil in a wide shallow pan, put in the sliced onion, carrot,
chopped celery and parsley stalks. After two or three minutes add the
sliced tomatoes, garlic, basil and salt. Cook gently, uncovered,
stirring from time to time, for about half an hour, until most of the
moisture has evaporated and the tomatoes are in a pulp. Sieve the
mixture in a food mill. Taste for seasoning - it may need sugar - then
stir in, a little at a time, the mustard.

ConnieG999

Sep 21, 2001, 2:28:45 PM9/21/01
Something interesting I was thinking about today. I wonder if our recipe
suggestions reflect our basic personalities? For example, in the request for
fresh tomato recipes, my suggestions were:
1. Cold sliced tomatoes with mozzarella, olive oil, and herbs and
2. Creamed tomatoes over buttered biscuits

Other suggestions included fancier fare,such as "Coulis de Tomates à la
moutarde."

I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook. My suggestions
reflected that image. I'm wondering, do the recipes suggested by others reflect
their style or personality?

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 21, 2001, 3:05:45 PM9/21/01
conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote:

>I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook. My suggestions
>reflected that image. I'm wondering, do the recipes suggested by others
>reflect their style or personality?

I think so. I'm a Midwestern gal, born and bred. My contributions are
good, solid, basic foods. Rarely anything fancy. If it screams,
"California!" or "France!" you're not likely to see it among my recipes (of
course, there are exceptions). My choices are usually limited to a dozen
or fewer ingredients, too.

These aren't hard and fast rules, just basic tendencies.

Damsel
--
Looking for a way to help?
http://www.libertyunites.org/

pfoley6

Sep 21, 2001, 3:36:03 PM9/21/01
Make a salad of sliced tomatoes alternately placed on a platter with sliced
mozzerella cheese. Sprinkle with parsley flakes and then drizzle Italian
dressing over all.

"clancy" <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Sep 21, 2001, 3:45:37 PM9/21/01

Yeah, I'd say that's fairly accurate in my case. I'm Chinese,
raised in Ohio nearly all my life. My diet growing up wasn't necessarily
typical of the average Ohioian in that it included a lot of rice.
We didn't eat much beef, and our meat was usually chicken, pork, and
occasionally, fish. My mother wasn't a gourmet cook and tended to
make things that were quick to throw together, since she could always
do prep work for stir-fry throughout the day. She also didn't do many
"western" dishes, so stuff like pot roast, stew, chicken and
dumplings, tuna casserole, etc. is exotic to me!

Now that I'm on my own, my cooking style is very different from my
mother's, but we still make some of the same dishes. It's usually
plain fare, nothing too complicated because I only learned to cook a
couple years ago. And as much as I like it, I still prefer to keep
things relatively simple. Oh yeah, and I still eat more rice than
most Ohioans do. ;) Sometimes DH and I will collaborate on more
complicated recipes on the weekends.

But then, that's the neat thing about being able to share ideas
in a forum like this--you get a lot of people from a wide range of
backgrounds and cooking styles.

Ariane

blacksalt

Sep 21, 2001, 4:06:29 PM9/21/01

> I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook. My suggestions
> reflected that image. I'm wondering, do the recipes suggested by others reflect
> their style or personality?

I am a "down-home" type, midwestern raised, with a tendency to go to the store in
overalls with grubby knees. However, I am crazy for elaborate Asian cooking with
rare ingredients and techniques that don't come easy. I consider my kitchen a foray
*away* from my personality, and thank heaven for it.
blacksalt

Elisabeth Bouynot

Sep 21, 2001, 5:12:22 PM9/21/01
In article <20010921142845...@nso-ct.aol.com>, connieg999
@aol.com says...

> Something interesting I was thinking about today. I wonder if our recipe
> suggestions reflect our basic personalities? For example, in the request for
> fresh tomato recipes, my suggestions were:
> 1. Cold sliced tomatoes with mozzarella, olive oil, and herbs and
> 2. Creamed tomatoes over buttered biscuits
>
> Other suggestions included fancier fare,such as "Coulis de Tomates à la
> moutarde."

Just because it's in French, it's fancy?

> I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook. My suggestions
> reflected that image. I'm wondering, do the recipes suggested by others reflect
> their style or personality?

I think they reflect just as much where they've been and what they've
done. Fixing the biscuits can take just as long as making tomato sauce
(I mean, coulis de tomate).

Elisabeth
Down-home, country-raised, mid-western (France), Dutch oven and simmer
type cook.

Martin Golding

Sep 21, 2001, 5:47:23 PM9/21/01
ConnieG999 <conni...@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook. My suggestions
> reflected that image. I'm wondering, do the recipes suggested by others reflect
> their style or personality?

Lessee, heap it high, dive in, and come up dripping. OK, yeah.

But I _am_ going to try that Coulis.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | Studies indicate that undernutrition increases lifespan.
DoD #236 | Eat good, die young. Leave a big corpse.

J. Helman

Sep 21, 2001, 6:56:28 PM9/21/01

I'm from a family that didn't stay put in one place very long. I'm in
Pennsylvania now; I spent most of my life in Maryland, where my brother
was born; my sisters and I were born in Rhode Island; my parents and
maternal grandparents were from Massachusetts; my paternal grandparents
were from New Brunswick and Bermuda; my maternal great grandparents were
from Ireland, France, and Germany.

So I grew up with Scotch broth, fried clams, and Boston baked beans with
brown bread; learned to appreciate crabs, oysters, fried chicken, and
other specialties from Maryland and points south; and am now discovering
Philly cheesesteaks and Pennsylvania Dutch fare. And I would say that
my cooking style reflects this. I'm not much into gourmet cooking, but
I love to try new things from all over the country and all over the
world.

ConnieG999

Sep 21, 2001, 9:56:36 PM9/21/01
Martin Golding <mar...@buddy.fryar.penguinpowered.com> writes:

>Lessee, heap it high, dive in, and come up dripping. OK, yeah.
>But I _am_ going to try that Coulis.

Okay, I give up. If it's a joke or analogy, I don't get it. Can you explain
please?

ConnieG999

Sep 21, 2001, 9:56:36 PM9/21/01
blacksalt <kala...@qwest.net> writes:

>However, I am crazy for elaborate Asian cooking with
>rare ingredients and techniques that don't come easy. I consider my kitchen a
>foray *away* from my personality, and thank heaven for it.

Well, I don't cook much outside my comfort zone (G) but I sure do enjoy eating
it. So I have to agree with enjoying different foods even if I don't prepare
them myself.

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Sep 21, 2001, 11:01:24 PM9/21/01
In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
clancy <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
>their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
>garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
>just too delicious to waste.
>
>Sharon (N.B.)

Bread salad:

<http://www.rahul.net/clb/breadsalad.txt>

Basil is nice with this too if you have it.

Otherwise, bacon-and-tomato sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, or just
lusciously sliced in salads.

Also like them sliced, "marinated" in a little oil and garlic or salad
dressing, with small pieces of plain goat cheese, as a pasta dish (the hot
pasta will "melt" the cheese). Basil and capers with this.

CLB
Charlotte L. Blackmer <http://www.rahul.net/clb>
"Approach love and cooking with great abandon" -
from the Dalai Lama's Rules for Life
Junk (esp. commercial) email review rates: $250 US ea

Dog 3

Sep 22, 2001, 1:17:59 AM9/22/01

"ConnieG999" <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

I think it's a good possibility but I'm not sure. I'll try any recipe once.
I think it depends on the ingredients you have on hand.

When it comes to stock, sauces, etc. I use my own when possible. I make a
lot of stock, being the soup addict in my household.

I'm a comfort food person myself but I really enjoy being adventurous in the
kitchen. I've also begun to grill a great deal. Still, I like trying
different foods and I've become a cheese fanatic.

I really don't have the expertise or training to dive into some of the more
complicated, ethnic dishes others here prepare but I can hold my own.

I just can't bake worth a shit.

Michael

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 21, 2001, 11:24:39 PM9/21/01
"Dog 3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I just can't bake worth a shit.

Check this out, dude. I doubt that you can screw it up, and it's a great
cake!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes chocolate
frostings/fillings

1 1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup quick oatmeal
1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup cocoa
----Coconut Glaze----
2 tablespoons butter
2 cup milk
2 cups coconut flakes
1 cup powdered sugar

CAKE:
1. Pour water over oatmeal and let stand.
2. Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Combine with oatmeal.
3. Add flour, salt, soda, and cocoa. Blend well.
4. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes in a greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Cool.
5. Frost with Coconut Glaze.

COCONUT GLAZE:
1`. Mix ingredients in saucepan.
2. Boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour on cooled cake.

Source:
"Sharon Marthaler"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dog 3

Sep 22, 2001, 1:47:13 AM9/22/01

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

Looks good and not too difficult. I'll give it a shot. I'm sick of boxed
cakes and cakes from the bakery. Just don't ask me to try a rhubarb pie. I
love rhubarb and I'm not screwing it up ;-)

Michael

Martin Golding

Sep 21, 2001, 11:53:14 PM9/21/01

You asked if our recipes reflected our style or personality, I was
admitting to the possibility. Once one has arranged to meet one's
basic needs, one can live life with unfettered gusto.

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 22, 2001, 12:07:55 AM9/22/01
"Dog 3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Just don't ask me to try a rhubarb pie. I
>love rhubarb and I'm not screwing it up ;-)

That's why Pillsbury makes those folded, refrigerated pie crusts. So
people like you and me can have home-baked pie!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Rhubarb Pie

Recipe By :Damsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies

1 9 inch pie shell
rhubarb - to fill shell -- 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pint strawberries -- unsweetened

1. Fill 9-inch pie crust with rhubarb (and strawberries if desired).
2. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over fruit.
3. Bake 40-50 minutes; top with Meringue, and bake for additional 10
minutes.

Note: This will make a 10-inch pie, if the rhubarb is cut fine.

Source:
"Pat Zastera"

Jamie Utter

Sep 21, 2001, 11:56:03 PM9/21/01

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "clancy"
> <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> > their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
> > garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
> > just too delicious to waste.
> >
> > Sharon (N.B.)
>

> Martin is on the right path -- no sense to make a BLT with inferior
> cardboard-flavor tomatoes. Gather ye tomatoes while ye may. Or
> something. Don't forget about a plain ol' tomato and mayo sammich,
> either. White bread, a nice schmear of mayo, tomato slices, a little
> s&p, topped with another mayo-schmeared piece of white bread. I'd
> forgotten how tasty that is.
> --
> -Herself

> "I can, ergo, I am."
> <www.JamLady.eboard.com>
> ---->> More Fair pix added 8/28/01

Make that with wheat bread, give it a slice of jack cheese and
a nice chop full of freshly picked basil, or mint from the garden,
and I am there. Life doesn't get much better than this.

Wait a minute. A nice glass of a crispy white wine with that...

Jamie

Jamie Utter

Sep 22, 2001, 12:00:49 AM9/22/01

GaryO wrote:

> conni...@aol.com (ConnieG999) wrote in message news:<20010920102330...@nso-ml.aol.com>...
> > "clancy" <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> writes:
> >

> > >Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> > >their favorite uses for these tasty critters?
> >

> > 1. Slice them to your liking, lay out on a plate alternating with a good
> > mozzarella cheese, sprinkle sparingly with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano,
> > drizzle with olive oil (or oil/vinegar dressing or Italian dressing if you
> > must) and serve VERY cold.
> >

> > 2. Tomato gravy, also known as creamed tomatoes - for the ones that may not be

> > quite so pretty. Dip, peel, chop to preferred size, reserving all juice. Simmer
> > until tomatoes are softened. Add tomatoes and juice to a medium-thick white
> > sauce. Salt and pepper only - no extra herbs. If yo like a less acidic taste,
> > add a teaspoon of sugar. Serve over hot buttered home-made biscuits.
>

> There are innumerable variations on this basic theme.
>
> Salsa Fresca
>
> 5 very ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
> 2 medium onions, chopped
> 2 large Jalapenos, seeded, deveined, and chopped
> 1-1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice
> 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or chopped fresh marjoram (optional)
> salt
> freshly ground pepper
>
> Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let stand at least 2 hours to
> allow flavors to mingle. Serve with corn tortilla chips for dipping.
> If optional fresh herbs are not available, substitute by 1/4 amount of
> dried herb, if using.
>
> GaryO
> trac...@pacbell.net

I say, lose the parsley and make it with fresh cilantro. Muy Bueno.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Jamie

Alan Zelt

Sep 22, 2001, 1:06:53 AM9/22/01
> In article <u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "clancy"
> <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone
posting
> > their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much
of my
> > garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and
they are
> > just too delicious to waste.
> >
> > Sharon (N.B.)

We really like this one:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomato Tarte Tatin

Recipe By : BBC Good Homes, 9/01
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast/Brunch Dinner
Main Dish Pie/Tart Crust
Side Dish Tart
Vegetables

4 oz All-purpose flour
2 oz butter -- small dice
2 oz sharp cheddar cheese
2 green onions -- chopped
1/2 tsp granulated garlic*
1/2 tsp salt*
2 Tbsp Water
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp granulated sugar
8 roma tomatoes -- halve widthwise
1/2 tsp salt*
1/2 tsp granulated garlic*

Pastry
Add flour, butter, salt, garlic and cheese to food processor. Process
until coarse crumbs occur.Add the green onions and process briefly. Add
the water and process until ball starts to form.
Form into disc and wrap in plastic, refrigerating for 1/2 hour.

In a 9 inch cast iron skillet, heat the oil and butter at medium high.
Add the sugar and heat until carmelized. Pack the tomatoes into the pan,
some cut side up. Sprinkle on the salt and garlic. Cook over high heat
for a few minutes until the tomatoes begin to color (about 10 minutes).
Remove from the heat and cool.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured
surface until it is slightly bigger than the skillet. Put the pastry
over the tomatoes, tucking in the edges down the sides. Bake for 15-20
minutes, unitl golden. Cool for 5 minutes until the juices have
settled. Invert on to a plate and serve with a green salad or as a
side.

*Zelt additions. The tarte is very good but was in dreadful need of
additional seasonings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"The pleasure of the table reigns among other pleasures, and it is
the last to console when others are lost."
--Brillat-Savarin

Alan Zelt

Sep 22, 2001, 1:10:23 AM9/22/01

The funny thing is that the deeper I get into French cooking, the more I
understand that many French recipes are fancy (foreign) names for Stew!!
On the other hand, I am a sucker for recipes that obviously have the
soul of their creator in them....... which may be why my favorite
cuisine is French.

Cyndi

Sep 22, 2001, 1:21:45 AM9/22/01
Tomato Pie

Cornmeal Pie Shell*
6-8 med. tomatoes
1/4 c mayonnaise (Miracle Whip Light!!)
1/4 c sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 clove minced garlic
Salt & Pepper
2 TBSP butter
1/2 c chopped green onions (top & bottoms)
1/2 c soft (fresh) bread crumbs
1/4 c chopped parsley
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese

Prepare and partially bake pie shell.

Slice tomatoes 1/2" thick and layer in pie shell.
Combine mayo, sour cream & garlic. Spread over tomatoes. Sprinkle with
salt & pepper.

Melt butter and saute green onions for a few minutes. Stir in bread crumbs,
parsley, & cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting
and serving.

*****
CORNMEAL PIE SHELL

Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow cornmeal.

Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

Add 2 TBSP cold water to mix (more if necessary) and cut-in 6 TBSP butter.

Mix all together and roll into a 10" circle. Fit into 9" pie pan.
Trim/shape pie shell edges.

Bake at 450 F. for 5 minutes.

Edited version from a My Great Recipes recipe.

--
Cyndi
"Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message

MH

Sep 22, 2001, 3:09:59 AM9/22/01
Dog 3 <do...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I just can't bake worth a shit.
>
> Michael

Mom was a superb baker, but an alright cook. I love to cook, but my heart is
in baking. When I was growing up it was canned vegetables (yucky!!) and well
done meat (double yucky!!). I do tend to cook *California Style*, in that I
like my vegies to still be crunchy and I like my beef to moo when I cut into
it. I am very experimental and when Ic ook I don't follow a recipe much of
the time..just lots of vegies, good protein and lots of flavors.

But I do love to bake. Bread is one of my specialties.

DINNER TONIGHT: pork stew with nice, flavorful pork (from the Mexican
butcher shop in da Mission), Merlot, white onion, garlic, oregano, chicken
stock, fresh parsley, sage, salt and pepper.

Victor Sack

Sep 22, 2001, 2:51:21 AM9/22/01
ConnieG999 <conni...@aol.com> wrote:

> Other suggestions included fancier fare,such as "Coulis de Tomates à la
> moutarde."

What's fancy about it apart from the 'oh, so fancy' French name? Would
it be different if it were called 'tomato pulp (or purée) with mustard'?

> I'm a down-home, country-raised, quick & easy type cook.

You'll like the very 'down-home' and easy coulis de tomates very much,
then. It is a Provençal peasant dish. And it doesn't contain any fancy
pomodori con mozzarella. :-)

Victor

MH

Sep 22, 2001, 11:02:52 AM9/22/01

ConnieG999 <conni...@aol.com> wrote in message

> "clancy" <cla...@nb.sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> >Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting
> >their favorite uses for these tasty critters?

Make an easy marinara. Chop up and cook with a bit of olive oil, garlic,
fresh basil leaves, a bit of red wine and salt. Cook for about 15 minutes.
This freezes well.

Trinker

Sep 23, 2001, 5:14:48 AM9/23/01

clancy wrote:

> Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting

> their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
> garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
> just too delicious to waste.

When you're sick of raw tomatoes, I find that this recipe, while
cooked, preserves the taste of tomatoes like few others --

Sopa de Fideo

This is a Mexican peasant soup, and thus very adaptable. It can
easily be adjusted for taste or budgetary considerations, so I
haven't included quantities.

Ingredients:

Fideo (Mexican coiled pasta nests
-- can be substituted with broken angel hair.)
Tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
(may be peeled if you wish, I'm lazy and leave the peel on.)
Onions, sliced very thin, longitudinally (into thin strips)

Water

Salt & Pepper to taste

Method:

Heat a frying pan or broad bottomed saucepan over medium heat,
add olive oil and saute fideo, broken into small pieces (about
1/2" when dry) until browned. Not all the fideo will be brown.
This is fine. Do not overbrown!

Add sufficient water to make broth, then add tomatoes and onions,
cook over high heat until fideo is done. Add salt and fresh
ground pepper to taste. Soup will not be very intense, but
should taste quite strongly of tomato. Onions should still have
slight crunch.

Notes:

I like slightly more tomato than onion. Most often, I make it
with 1 part fideo, 4 parts tomato to 1 or 2 parts onion. Use
more water than you think you will need, because the fideo will
absorb the water. It should be more of a broth than a hearty soup
like minestrone. During good times, I've made it with about
3/4 cup tomato per person; during lean times, with 1 tomato for
four portions.

GaryO

Sep 24, 2001, 6:56:25 PM9/24/01
Jamie Utter <but...@csusm.edu> wrote in message news:<3BAC0CF1...@csusm.edu>...

Yes, cilantro is commonly used. As are one or two chopped cloves of
garlic. Oregano or marjoram are not nearly used as often.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

Nancy

Sep 26, 2001, 7:41:52 PM9/26/01
This is from a friend (with permission to post here). I tried it, and
it was fantabulous! I had a "Mexican" night with some friends over.
I made this salsa, some guacamole and quesedillas, with sour cream.
(Also some margaritas) Mmmmmmmmm!

SALSA!!!

1 large can whole, peeled roma tomatoes/or fresh
1 bunch of Cilantro (wash, remove stems, about a fistful per can of
tomato)
3-7 slices of jalepeno-depends on how hot you like it!
1/2 cup chopped onion
2-3 green onions, sliced thin
1 clove garlic
Black pepper (1/2 teas and up)
Salt (1/2 teas and up)

ok- I never measure anything- so it can come out different every
time. Each time you make it, you will get a feel for what you need to
add more or less of. (Sometimes I make a double batch, split it, and
make one Extra hot!) Also, I usually make it in my food processor, but
sometimes I will chop everything by hand for chunky salsa.
Drain tomatoes. In food processor chop white onion, cilantro,
jalepeno, garlic and a few tomatoes to a slightly chunky consistency.
Test for heat! Pour into desired container. Chop remainder of
tomatoes to desired consistency. Stir salsa, pepper (lots!) and salt
(lots) to taste. Stir in Green onion- Enjoy!

Nancy :-)
Remove NOSPAM to email!

Mickey Zalusky

Oct 5, 2001, 8:13:45 PM10/5/01
Here's one of the best ways to eat fresh ripe tomatoes:

FRESH TOMATO SALAD

3-6 fresh tomatoes sliced about 1/4-inch thick (use as many or as few
tomatoes as needed)
Kosher Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Garlic Powder, to taste
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar, optional
Chopped Basil, optional

Prepare the following 1/2 or so before serving:
In a large flat platter, place slightly overlapping tomato slices. Sprinkle
the tomatoes with salt, pepper and garlic powder. (Add balsamic vinegar and
basic if desired.) Then drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes. The salt
will start drawing juices from the tomato slices. Baste the tomato slices
with the juices to help distribute the seasonings over all the tomato
slices.

These tomatoes are a great side dish for anytime. We usually serve them
open-faced on crusty sliced french or italian bread. If you have some fresh
ricotta to go along with the bread and tomatoes, you have a terrific meal!

I don't have space to grow my own tomatoes but have been enjoying flea
market heirloom tomatoes served this way all Summer.

Enjoy.
Mickey

in article u_bq7.407$X85....@news-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca, clancy at
cla...@nb.sympatico.ca wrote on 9/19/01 6:53 PM:

> Now that the tomatoes are ripening like crazy, how about everyone posting

> their favorite uses for these tasty critters? I've given so much of my
> garden away, but I've got lots more tomatoes still coming - and they are
> just too delicious to waste.
>

> Sharon (N.B.)

st...@temple.edu

Oct 6, 2001, 1:53:34 PM10/6/01
I tend to enjoy simple recipes. Sometimes, its the simple things in life
that are the best. Tomatoes lend themselves to some excellent simple
recipes. An excellent and very easy way to eat tomatoes is to take some
Roma (Italian plum) tomatoes. Chop them up into chunks. Throw them in a
bowl with a few slivers of chopped onion and a few slices of cucumber.
Splash on a little extra virgin olive oil, your favorite vinegar, some
fresh ground pepper, toss, then cover and chill for a couple of hours.
Delicious. This works well with halved cherry tomatoes too.