Oh, no - It's deer season again

AlleyGator

Nov 22, 2005, 5:35:31 PM11/22/05
Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
that. Something creative? Anyone?

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Sandy

Nov 22, 2005, 10:10:23 PM11/22/05
The other night I made a Rigatoni w/3 cheeses in the oven, and substituted
Venison for the ground beef,,,,,and everyone went back for 2nds.
Didn't tell the kids,,,,they asked me to make it again!

"AlleyGator" <Alley...@otheryellermeat.org> wrote in message

Sheldon

Nov 22, 2005, 8:18:38 PM11/22/05

AlleyGator wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
> and throw the rest away.
>
> I'm just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the ordinary.
> Something creative? Anyone?

How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to
come along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.

Sheldon

itsjoannotjoann

Nov 22, 2005, 9:00:31 PM11/22/05

AlleyGator wrote:
> but I'm
> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
> that. Something creative? Anyone?
>
> --

Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?

sarah bennett

Nov 22, 2005, 9:08:46 PM11/22/05

With relish (mustard, too!).

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

~patches~

Nov 22, 2005, 9:19:06 PM11/22/05
AlleyGator wrote:

I made a hunter's pie using venison topped with a fancy potato topping
that originally is supposed to be a baked potato dish. It came out very
nice.

~patches~

Nov 22, 2005, 9:20:41 PM11/22/05
sarah bennett wrote:

> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> AlleyGator wrote:
>>
>>> but I'm
>>> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
>>> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
>>> that. Something creative? Anyone?
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?
>>

> With relish (mustard, too!).

And a couple of slices of bacon :)

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 22, 2005, 10:04:23 PM11/22/05
In article <43839c0...@news.individual.net>,
Alley...@otheryellermeat.org (AlleyGator) wrote:

I would just jerk it all. ;-)
I know what you mean, it's possible to have TOO much deer meat in the
freezer! Smoked deer sausage is also a good standby. A lot of folks
around here just have the butcher make sausage out of most of it.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 22, 2005, 10:06:03 PM11/22/05
In article <11o7k98...@corp.supernews.com>,
~patches~ <noone...@thisaddress.com> wrote:

And lettuce and tomato, on a toasted bun...
with sauteed' sliced mushrooms.

sarah bennett

Nov 22, 2005, 10:19:56 PM11/22/05
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <11o7k98...@corp.supernews.com>,
> ~patches~ <noone...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
>

>>sarah bennett wrote:

>>>With relish (mustard, too!).
>>>

>>And a couple of slices of bacon :)
>

> And lettuce and tomato, on a toasted bun...
> with sauteed' sliced mushrooms.

and some onion.

Kiwanda in Minnesota

Nov 22, 2005, 10:32:42 PM11/22/05

AlleyGator wrote:
I'm
> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
> that. Something creative? Anyone?

Can it. We've been canning vennison since the 1960s, and it's really
quite good. I like nothing more than taking a quart of canned vennison,
adding about 1/2 pound of frozen peas, and serving the whole mess over
mashed potatoes. Or use it to make a stew. Tendy, juicy, and
delicious.

If you've got steaks pan fry them and add about 1/4 cup of currant
jelly just before they are done. Remove the steaks and deglaze the pan
with red wine; serve the wine/jelly sauce over the steak.

If you have lots of venison just make sausage...it's easy to do and fun
for the whole family. We make brats each year and enjoy experimenting
with mixtures like venison and wild rice.

-Kiwanda

Roberta

Nov 22, 2005, 11:16:42 PM11/22/05

You see, and I am sooo jealous! (well depending on what area of the
country you are in...and the deer is from) I grew up in Michigan (my
birthday being opening day) and have always LOVED venison. I have only
had it once since I moved away and it wasn't the same. :( For some
reason I really never thought about the fact that deer in different
areas of the country would taste differnt due to different diets...

Anyway - I would give anything to have GOOD venison stocked in my
freezer in all it's forms :)

Roberta (in VA)

shirl...@-nospam-.com

Nov 23, 2005, 1:03:33 AM11/23/05
I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
fed to the dogs only. What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they
have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer. I end up
spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all
really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
waiting for them to come back. When the sun goes down, they all come
tearing into the house, drunk on their asses and full of dirt and
often blood (if they got a deer). Then they all want food, which is
cold by then, so I got to warm everything for them, and listen to them
complain that its taking too long. Half the time they are so drunk
they dont even recall what they ate the next day, and it seems they
always get into a big arguement about someone scaring away a deer or
something stupid like that. So we got to listen to that crap while
they are eating. I am completely fed up with this. At least the
state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give the
guys another day to make it up.

This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
back till midnight.

Happy Fucking Thanksgiving

Shirley
-----------

Bob Terwilliger

Nov 23, 2005, 1:51:02 AM11/23/05
Shirley wrote:

> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only.

Cold-pack it and send it to me. I love the stuff.

> What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they have deer hunting during
> the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I prepare a nice Thanksgiving
> dinner, all our friends come over and all the men leave to go hunting
> (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all I see of my husband on this
> holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out the door armed with a handful
> of guns and lots of beer. I end up spending the holiday with all the
> wives and that one guy who are all really fed up with the guys leaving
> each year. We spend the whole day waiting for them to come back.

Can't you think of any party games? Seems like this would be a perfect time
for Naked Mazola Twister. And what's stopping you from boozing it up while
they're gone? Only thing better than Naked Mazola Twister is DRUNKEN Naked
Mazola Twister.

> When the sun goes down, they all come tearing into the house, drunk on
> their asses and full of dirt and often blood (if they got a deer). Then
> they all want food, which is cold by then, so I got to warm everything for
> them, and listen to them complain that its taking too long.

Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not going
to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that is ready
hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out shoes (and GOD
am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8 PM. That ought to
be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and have some nibbles with
cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives like you, I'm sure they NEED
those cocktails.

> Half the time they are so drunk they dont even recall what they ate the
> next day, and it seems they always get into a big arguement about someone
> scaring away a deer or something stupid like that. So we got to listen to
> that crap while they are eating. I am completely fed up with this. At
> least the state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give
> the guys another day to make it up.

C'mon, li'l lady, don't be that way...you just don't understand huntin'.
There *are* reasons for the dates applied to the various hunting seasons,
but you wouldn't know about that kind of ecology or forestry; all YOU care
about is your precious Thanksgiving dinner, which you DELIBERATELY turn into
a martyr-fest.

> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
> getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
> of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
> going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
> back till midnight.

Oh, THAT will solve the problem! Sounds like you have a terrific marriage
going there.

> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving

*perk* Fucking? Are we back to the Twister game?

Bob

Message has been deleted

hob

Nov 23, 2005, 2:09:04 AM11/23/05

"itsjoannotjoann" <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message

It would be a gourmet meal - a unique flavor -

If you look carefully at Bambi's alleged parents, he was a freak of nature -

his mother was a deer, and his father was no buck deer - dad looks a lot
like a wapiti

shirl...@-nospam-.com

Nov 23, 2005, 3:44:03 PM11/23/05
On 23 Nov 2005 00:51:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

>Shirley wrote:
>
>> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
>> fed to the dogs only.
>
>Cold-pack it and send it to me. I love the stuff.

Yuck !!!!

>> What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they have deer hunting during
>> the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I prepare a nice Thanksgiving
>> dinner, all our friends come over and all the men leave to go hunting
>> (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all I see of my husband on this
>> holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out the door armed with a handful
>> of guns and lots of beer. I end up spending the holiday with all the
>> wives and that one guy who are all really fed up with the guys leaving
>> each year. We spend the whole day waiting for them to come back.
>
>Can't you think of any party games? Seems like this would be a perfect time
>for Naked Mazola Twister. And what's stopping you from boozing it up while
>they're gone? Only thing better than Naked Mazola Twister is DRUNKEN Naked
>Mazola Twister.

If I could find one, all us women would go to a strip club. That
would show the guys.

>> When the sun goes down, they all come tearing into the house, drunk on
>> their asses and full of dirt and often blood (if they got a deer). Then
>> they all want food, which is cold by then, so I got to warm everything for
>> them, and listen to them complain that its taking too long.
>
>Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not going
>to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that is ready
>hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out shoes (and GOD
>am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8 PM. That ought to
>be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and have some nibbles with
>cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives like you, I'm sure they NEED
>those cocktails.

We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.

>> Half the time they are so drunk they dont even recall what they ate the
>> next day, and it seems they always get into a big arguement about someone
>> scaring away a deer or something stupid like that. So we got to listen to
>> that crap while they are eating. I am completely fed up with this. At
>> least the state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give
>> the guys another day to make it up.
>
>C'mon, li'l lady, don't be that way...you just don't understand huntin'.
>There *are* reasons for the dates applied to the various hunting seasons,
>but you wouldn't know about that kind of ecology or forestry; all YOU care
>about is your precious Thanksgiving dinner, which you DELIBERATELY turn into
>a martyr-fest.

Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
nonsense. I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.

>> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
>> getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
>> of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
>> going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
>> back till midnight.
>
>Oh, THAT will solve the problem! Sounds like you have a terrific marriage
>going there.

I married my husband to be WITH me. Not to be alone on a holiday. I
thought holidays were a time to be with family. f he'd rather be with
men, he should have married one of them. I guess thats legal now
anyhow.

>> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
>
>*perk* Fucking? Are we back to the Twister game?

Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.

>Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 23, 2005, 4:45:20 PM11/23/05
In article <puv7o11vkmnkvklcj...@4ax.com>,
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only. What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they
> have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
> the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
> I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer. I end up
> spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all
> really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
> waiting for them to come back. When the sun goes down, they all come
> tearing into the house, drunk on their asses and full of dirt and
> often blood (if they got a deer). Then they all want food, which is
> cold by then, so I got to warm everything for them, and listen to them
> complain that its taking too long. Half the time they are so drunk
> they dont even recall what they ate the next day, and it seems they
> always get into a big arguement about someone scaring away a deer or
> something stupid like that. So we got to listen to that crap while
> they are eating. I am completely fed up with this. At least the
> state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give the
> guys another day to make it up.

I'd give anything to have a gang of guys to serve dinner to, no matter
what the circumstances. ;-) It's just me and my housemate and I LOVE to
cook! If it were me and a bunch of girls, I'd make hot rum toddies and
organinize a good card game.

Feel lucky. You COULD be one of the many thousands that spends the
holiday ALONE!!!

> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
> getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
> of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
> going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
> back till midnight.

Sounds good! Pizza after a drunken day deer hunting sounds rather good.
:-)

> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving

Prude.

> Shirley

I pity you......
and envy you at the same time.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 23, 2005, 4:47:52 PM11/23/05
In article <43841112$0$6815$bb4e...@newscene.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Shirley wrote:
>
> > I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> > fed to the dogs only.
>
> Cold-pack it and send it to me. I love the stuff.

You have to share...

> > What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they have deer hunting during
> > the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I prepare a nice Thanksgiving
> > dinner, all our friends come over and all the men leave to go hunting
> > (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all I see of my husband on this
> > holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out the door armed with a handful
> > of guns and lots of beer. I end up spending the holiday with all the
> > wives and that one guy who are all really fed up with the guys leaving
> > each year. We spend the whole day waiting for them to come back.
>
> Can't you think of any party games? Seems like this would be a perfect time
> for Naked Mazola Twister. And what's stopping you from boozing it up while
> they're gone? Only thing better than Naked Mazola Twister is DRUNKEN Naked
> Mazola Twister.

Ooh ooh ooh, can I play? Please??? ;-)
Preferably on a greased waterbed....

> > When the sun goes down, they all come tearing into the house, drunk on
> > their asses and full of dirt and often blood (if they got a deer). Then
> > they all want food, which is cold by then, so I got to warm everything for
> > them, and listen to them complain that its taking too long.
>
> Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not going
> to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that is ready
> hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out shoes (and GOD
> am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8 PM. That ought to
> be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and have some nibbles with
> cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives like you, I'm sure they NEED
> those cocktails.

ROFL!!!
I'd have hot rum toddies waiting in a large pot on the stove.

QED.

> > Half the time they are so drunk they dont even recall what they ate the
> > next day, and it seems they always get into a big arguement about someone
> > scaring away a deer or something stupid like that. So we got to listen to
> > that crap while they are eating. I am completely fed up with this. At
> > least the state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give
> > the guys another day to make it up.
>
> C'mon, li'l lady, don't be that way...you just don't understand huntin'.
> There *are* reasons for the dates applied to the various hunting seasons,
> but you wouldn't know about that kind of ecology or forestry; all YOU care
> about is your precious Thanksgiving dinner, which you DELIBERATELY turn into
> a martyr-fest.

Sad ain't it?
A woman that has NO understanding of machismo is to be pitied.

I'd revel in it.

> > This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
> > getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
> > of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
> > going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
> > back till midnight.
>
> Oh, THAT will solve the problem! Sounds like you have a terrific marriage
> going there.

Not.

> > Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
>
> *perk* Fucking? Are we back to the Twister game?

One can only hope... ;-)

> Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 23, 2005, 4:49:01 PM11/23/05
In article <06k9o1p7slmnd696m...@4ax.com>,
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2005 00:51:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>
> >Shirley wrote:
> >
> >> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> >> fed to the dogs only.
> >
> >Cold-pack it and send it to me. I love the stuff.
>
> Yuck !!!!
> >

> >> What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they have deer hunting during
> >> the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I prepare a nice Thanksgiving
> >> dinner, all our friends come over and all the men leave to go hunting
> >> (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all I see of my husband on this
> >> holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out the door armed with a handful
> >> of guns and lots of beer. I end up spending the holiday with all the
> >> wives and that one guy who are all really fed up with the guys leaving
> >> each year. We spend the whole day waiting for them to come back.
> >
> >Can't you think of any party games? Seems like this would be a perfect time
> >for Naked Mazola Twister. And what's stopping you from boozing it up while
> >they're gone? Only thing better than Naked Mazola Twister is DRUNKEN Naked
> >Mazola Twister.
>
> If I could find one, all us women would go to a strip club. That
> would show the guys.

Create your own.
Hire a few...

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 23, 2005, 4:49:59 PM11/23/05
In article <06k9o1p7slmnd696m...@4ax.com>,
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> >> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
> >
> >*perk* Fucking? Are we back to the Twister game?
> >

> Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
> drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
> the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
> with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
> that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
> to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
> That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.

Pack him up. :-)

I'll take him!!!

Sandy

Nov 23, 2005, 8:07:12 PM11/23/05
I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long, and
he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends, re-decorating,
painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
We both need a break from each other.

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <Ome...@brokenegz.com> wrote in message

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 23, 2005, 5:23:17 PM11/23/05
In article <11o9pqq...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Sandy" <san...@personainternet.com> wrote:

> I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long, and
> he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
> That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends, re-decorating,
> painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
> We both need a break from each other.

I see it the same way.
She needs a serious wake up call!

<sigh>

She has no idea how good she has it.

Bob Terwilliger

Nov 23, 2005, 7:54:09 PM11/23/05
Shirley replied:

>> Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not
>> going to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that
>> is ready hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out
>> shoes (and GOD am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8
>> PM. That ought to be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and
>> have some nibbles with cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives
>> like you, I'm sure they NEED those cocktails.
>
> We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
> grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
> up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
> drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.

Oh, so you value a tradition that comes from your PARENTS (not HIS family, I
note) more than you value your marriage. Nice.

There are *not* 364 other days in deer-hunting season, nor are there 364
days when all his friends have time off from work. I'd chuck your
tradition; I see no value in it. When you marry, you're supposed to form a
NEW family with your husband. I see that you haven't, nor do you intend to.

Deal with the situation as it *is*, not as how you *wish* it were.

>> C'mon, li'l lady, don't be that way...you just don't understand huntin'.
>> There *are* reasons for the dates applied to the various hunting seasons,
>> but you wouldn't know about that kind of ecology or forestry; all YOU
>> care about is your precious Thanksgiving dinner, which you DELIBERATELY
>> turn into a martyr-fest.
>
> Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
> nonsense.

Like I said, BULLSHIT! (Okay, I paraphrased a bit...) You just want to feel
sorry for yourself, but you don't have a leg to stand on.

> I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
> Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
> guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.

There's another problem with your attitude. I cook elaborate meals on
holidays because I *enjoy* doing it. It's almost like I'm performing on
stage. Rather than embracing the opportunity to showcase your skills,
you've turned it into drudgery. You've turned what SHOULD be an occasion of
social and familial warmth into a bitch session. Shame on you!

>> Sounds like you have a terrific marriage going there.
>
> I married my husband to be WITH me. Not to be alone on a holiday. I
> thought holidays were a time to be with family.

He comes home for dinner, doesn't he? There's your family time, right there!

I doubt that any of this will sink in, but in truth, you haven't come up
with a single thing that I consider a valid complaint.

Bob

notbob

Nov 23, 2005, 8:10:31 PM11/23/05
On 2005-11-23, shirleyw40@-nospam-.com <shirleyw40@-nospam-.com> wrote:

> I hate venison and will not eat it.

> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all

> the men leave to go hunting

> spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all

> really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
> waiting for them to come back.

> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking.

> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving

Geez, whatta bitch! No wonder the guys all go hunting. Anything to
get away from you.

nb

Mark D

Nov 23, 2005, 9:35:30 PM11/23/05
How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to come
along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.
Sheldon
======================================

Why's that Sheldon?
I gather from this you not only hate Venison, but hate people who hunt?

If so, maybe you have gotten a wrong imprssion at some point in your
life, perhaps a bad childhhod memory that soured you against the sport,
and those that partake in it? Honestly, I don't know?

I've hunted in my younger years, pretty much small game, and Fowl, but
never Deer Hunting, and enjoy Target, and Trap/Skeet.

While I'll eat Venison if it's prepared properly, I personally dislike
the thought also of killing Deer.... but I have no qualms about those
that wish to, provided they do so in a legal, and responsible manner.
Yes, there's always the clowns who give the "sport" a bad rep.

I parenthesize the word sport, as I myself actually don't see the sport
in shooting a Deer with a High power rifle, or shotgun with slugs.
It would truly be a sport if the Deer was maybe shooting back?

Truth is, in many states without hunting, the overpopulation of Deer
would be unbelieveable.
Way more deer would actually die from disease, than from hunting. Even
states that you wouldn't suspect hold vast numbers of Deer population,
let's say like West Virginia.
I read one year 48,000 animals were killed, and the state was still
overrun.

I respect your opinon Sheldon, and you're entitled to it. As I mentioned
earlier, for those who do so legally, and responsibly, I have no
problems with. If you eat any other meat, it's essentially the same
thing, except the slaughterhouses, and butcher is making it painless for
you. Mark

notbob

Nov 23, 2005, 9:58:47 PM11/23/05
On 2005-11-24, Mark D <mm...@webtv.net> wrote:

> I respect your opinon Sheldon......

Well, that pretty much shoots your credibility all to Hell.

nb

Dave Smith

Nov 23, 2005, 10:02:25 PM11/23/05
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
> grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
> up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
> drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.
>

> ....snip...

> Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
> nonsense. I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
> Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
> guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.

Wow. We have some control issues happening here. Deer hunting season is short.
There are not 364 other days to do it. It's a real bonus for a deer hunter to
have holiday time so that he can go hunting. Deer hunting is usually a morning
thing, or late afternoon, so he could do his hunting and be back right after
dark, which is a good time for a nice hearty meal.

But nooooooo...... you family had supper at lunch time so you have to rain on his
parade.

However, I draw the line at drinking and shooting. The deer hunters I know retire
to the cabin for beverages. Only fools drink while they are hunting. If he is
one of those guys who drinks while he hunts I wouldn't let him back in the
trailers. Make him sleep under the porch with the hounds.

> Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
> drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
> the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
> with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
> that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
> to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
> That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.

I am starting to see why he prefers the company of his friends.

Good luck

~patches~

Nov 24, 2005, 9:24:04 AM11/24/05
notbob wrote:

Sounds like she needs a major attitude adjustment or for his sake a
divorce. I can't imagine what their home environment is like with her
attitude!

Shaun aRe

Nov 24, 2005, 9:23:36 AM11/24/05

"AlleyGator" <Alley...@otheryellermeat.org> wrote in message

> Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
> and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
> another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
> and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
> gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
> so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
> pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've

> seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm

> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
> that. Something creative? Anyone?

1) Take whole dressed cuts and roasts of venison, plus the trimmed choicest
offal, and wrap each piece individually in sterile muslin cloths, and leave
refrigerated until excess surface moisture is no longer present - the meat
should feel dry to the touch.

2) Unwrap each piece, then wrap once more but in /fresh/ pieces of muslin.

3) Place into a spotlessly clean, sturdy cardboard box or clean plywood case
into which has been placed about a pound of *dried* salt, split 8 ways into
small muslin wraps evenly distributed around the box/case, making certain
there is no room for the meats to jostle.

4) Immediately Fed-Ex Overnite or similar the cased meats to me here in
England.

5) Sit back with a large glass of something gorgeous and feel the immense
and soul filling satisfaction that comes with gifting generously to someone
appreciative.

HTH ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

~patches~

Nov 24, 2005, 9:28:43 AM11/24/05
Dave Smith wrote:

> shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:
>

>>We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
>>grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
>>up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
>>drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.
>>
>>....snip...
>>
>>Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
>>nonsense. I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
>>Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
>>guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.
>>

> Wow. We have some control issues happening here. Deer hunting season is short.
> There are not 364 other days to do it. It's a real bonus for a deer hunter to
> have holiday time so that he can go hunting. Deer hunting is usually a morning
> thing, or late afternoon, so he could do his hunting and be back right after
> dark, which is a good time for a nice hearty meal.

I'd say major control issues!

> But nooooooo...... you family had supper at lunch time so you have to rain on his
> parade.

She's certainly trying. I suppose if they get a dear she won't be
interested in the meat either.

> However, I draw the line at drinking and shooting. The deer hunters I know retire
> to the cabin for beverages. Only fools drink while they are hunting. If he is
> one of those guys who drinks while he hunts I wouldn't let him back in the
> trailers. Make him sleep under the porch with the hounds.

Too right!

>>Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
>>drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
>>the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
>>with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
>>that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
>>to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
>>That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.
>>

> I am starting to see why he prefers the company of his friends.

Sounds like a little jealousy mixed in with the control issues. I
wonder how they ever got together in the first place. Do you suppose it
was because of her good cooking?

> Good luck

Shaun aRe

Nov 24, 2005, 9:25:29 AM11/24/05

"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message

Damn it if you didn't just beat me to that line.

Shaun aRe

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2005, 9:34:27 AM11/24/05

"Shaun aRe" <shau...@zenlunatics.co.uk> wrote in message

LOL

Shaun aRe

Nov 24, 2005, 9:45:23 AM11/24/05

<shirleyw40@-nospam-.com> wrote in message

> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only.

Now THAT of course would be decidedly a matter of opinion/taste.

. What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they
> have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
> the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
> I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer. I end up
> spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all
> really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
> waiting for them to come back. When the sun goes down, they all come
> tearing into the house, drunk on their asses and full of dirt and
> often blood (if they got a deer). Then they all want food, which is
> cold by then, so I got to warm everything for them, and listen to them
> complain that its taking too long. Half the time they are so drunk
> they dont even recall what they ate the next day, and it seems they
> always get into a big arguement about someone scaring away a deer or
> something stupid like that. So we got to listen to that crap while
> they are eating. I am completely fed up with this.

Stop being a walk-over and kick those selfish and thoughtless bastards RIGHT
the FUCK into touch, then. You _do not_ have to put up with it nor should
you.

> At least the
> state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give the
> guys another day to make it up.

Since when is it a state's responsibility to sort out self centred men?
That's between you all and your husbands. What about those folk who enjoy
hunting this day, who are either single, or who's SO's allow them to do so
and happily under whatever arrangement(s) the couple/family has worked out?
Should they suffer because you won't tell these men to get the fuck in line
and stop being arseholes?!?

> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking. I'm
> getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
> of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
> going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
> back till midnight.
>
> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
>
> Shirley

Now THIS is more like it - way to freaking go Shirley and friends! Just a
damned pity you let this shit go on for so long before calling time on it.

Here's to hoping they get the damned message and learn from it too, and that
you women all learn better to not be made skivvies of in the future. Let
someone walk over you once, it gets harder for you to stop them the next
time, and easier for them to do it again, and the cycle keeps on building. I
hope dearly that you all enjoy yourselves, truly.

If I come across a little harsh here, it's because I seriously dislike
anyone being walked all over, but don't have much time for those that allow
it to happen to them continually while doing no more than bitching to
outsiders about it. I really do not mean any offence, and wish for you that
the situation improves.

Be well, take good care, and happy TG (hopefully!)

',;~}~

Shaun aRe, England, who's wife would shred him and make him into (admittedly
bound to be very tasty) burgers if I ever showed her that kind of
disrespect, and who wouldn't know where to start, to behave so toward her.

Shaun aRe

Nov 24, 2005, 9:52:26 AM11/24/05

> In article <11o9pqq...@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Sandy" <san...@personainternet.com> wrote:
>
> > I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long,
and
> > he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
> > That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends,
re-decorating,
> > painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
> > We both need a break from each other.
>
> I see it the same way.
> She needs a serious wake up call!
>
> <sigh>
>
> She has no idea how good she has it.

Sounds to me like her and friends and him and friends all bloody need that -
if the guys going out and doing these things, and the women are getting so
damned pissed off at them, that neither party has talked any of it over with
the other - IOW, zero communication, just disrespect and bitter bitching.

Shaun aRe

AlleyGator

Nov 24, 2005, 9:58:10 AM11/24/05
"Sheldon" <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

>How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
>your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to
>come along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.
>
>Sheldon

Hi Sheldon. I almost bought the farm a while back, but now I'm in
serious remission, working part time and hope to go back full-time in
about a week for which I am very grateful - just in time for
"Thanksgiving". All of which means my mental attitude is back where
it belongs, finally. So I hope you won't be disappointed, but I won't
be taking bait any longer. I am, however, flattered that you still
find me to be a worthy target <G>. Hope you have a great holiday.

Nancy Young

Nov 24, 2005, 10:10:34 AM11/24/05

"AlleyGator" <Alley...@otheryellermeat.org> wrote

> Hi Sheldon. I almost bought the farm a while back, but now I'm in
> serious remission, working part time and hope to go back full-time in
> about a week for which I am very grateful - just in time for
> "Thanksgiving".

All great news! That's terrific. nancy

AlleyGator

Nov 24, 2005, 10:19:48 AM11/24/05
mm...@webtv.net (Mark D) wrote:

>Why's that Sheldon?
>I gather from this you not only hate Venison, but hate people who hunt?
>
>If so, maybe you have gotten a wrong imprssion at some point in your
>life, perhaps a bad childhhod memory that soured you against the sport,
>and those that partake in it? Honestly, I don't know?
>
>I've hunted in my younger years, pretty much small game, and Fowl, but
>never Deer Hunting, and enjoy Target, and Trap/Skeet.
>
>While I'll eat Venison if it's prepared properly, I personally dislike
>the thought also of killing Deer.... but I have no qualms about those
>that wish to, provided they do so in a legal, and responsible manner.
>Yes, there's always the clowns who give the "sport" a bad rep.

I hunt, but I don't hunt deer anymore. My son is the fanatic there.
Call me a wuss, but I know I just can't shoot a deer again. I don't
know why - guess I've become soft. However, if you lived here where
the deer are thicker than flies, you'd be hopinig SOMEONE kills a few
thousand of them. The car/deer accident numbers are off the charts
here. In the last 5 years, we have personally had 4 insurance claims
for the same. One of them, the deer came through the windshield and
put my son in the hospital. Turn out of my driveway and head down the
country road just after dawn or before dusk - both sides of the road
look like a deer farm. I usually stop mowing the field next to the
house just before fall arrives. It provides cover for them, and most
any evening, I can step out the front door, walk 20 feet left, shine a
light and see dozens of pairs of eyes looking at me - all of them
bedded down for the night, right out in the field - and we're infested
with coyotes, but AFAIK they have never attacked any of them in the
field. Also, while people hunt deer just off the way and behind the
treeline, they can't shoot deer in the field next to my house. First
of all, the distance rule is involved and secondly, everyone around
here knows I don't allow it and it's posted. A few friends come here
and that's it. My son doesn't even hunt here, he goes to a different
county, because a friend has a few thousand acres, and it's a much
nicer place to go to and spend some time relaxing. A garden is
impossible here. Two times, I have had does leap the fence into the
immediate yard where the dogs stay, panic, and totally destroy my
fence trying to get out. I think they're beautiful, but they're also
just short of vermin sometimes.

AlleyGator

Nov 24, 2005, 10:37:53 AM11/24/05
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>All great news! That's terrific. nancy

Thank you Nancy. You're like a breath of fresh air most of the time.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Dave Smith

Nov 24, 2005, 10:52:21 AM11/24/05
AlleyGator wrote:

> I hunt, but I don't hunt deer anymore. My son is the fanatic there.
> Call me a wuss, but I know I just can't shoot a deer again. I don't
> know why - guess I've become soft. However, if you lived here where
> the deer are thicker than flies, you'd be hopinig SOMEONE kills a few
> thousand of them. The car/deer accident numbers are off the charts
> here. In the last 5 years, we have personally had 4 insurance claims
> for the same. One of them, the deer came through the windshield and
> put my son in the hospital.

For such timid creatures, they sure are dangerous. We have had two cars
seriously damaged within 100 yards of our house after colliding with deer.
Didn't do any good for the poor creatures either. There was one killed about
500 yards down the road the other day. I know two guys who have totalled
their cars while driving from her to Winnipeg through Michigan, one guy who
totalled two cars hitting deer in Florida, and a few years ago a friend was
seriously hurt in Virginia while he was driving his mother down to Florida.
The deer came right through the windshield and broke 6 of his teeth. I
spent a year and a half working on a highway crew and we used to pick up
dead deer almost every day.

I have come close to hitting a few deer myself. When travelling on country
roads at night I always use my high beams because you have a better chance
of spotting the glow in their eyes at a distance. Never relax when deer gets
off the road. They almost always travel in groups, so when one gets off the
road another is likely to follow it.

Moose are even more of a hazard than deer. They are about four times larger,
and when struck by a car they tend to fall ont he hood and then through the
windshield. One of the scariest driving experiences I ever had was driving
down an big hill and around a corner on a rainy road and spotted a bull
moose at the side of the road.

A friend of mine had a beautiful house on the side of a mountain on
Vancouver Island. He had a nice garden but the local deer population kept
eating all the flowers.

Mark D

Nov 24, 2005, 11:51:06 AM11/24/05
Well, as I said, Sheldon, or anyone else is entitled to their views,
whatever they may be.

I've personally seen unethical practices partaken by hunters, like
tresspassing with no regards for other's property, and once even seen a
family of 8 march through the woods 100' apart, walking through like
they were police on the search for a fugitive killer.

This family I speak of though were extremely poor at the time, so I do
understand their desperation in that they needed the food for
substinance, and not for bragging rights, or a Trophy Mount hanging on
their wall.
Mark

Bob Terwilliger

Nov 24, 2005, 5:49:01 PM11/24/05
Mark wrote:

> Well, as I said, Sheldon, or anyone else is entitled to their views,
> whatever they may be.

Sheldon's reply to AlleyGator had exactly NOTHING to do with the ethics of
hunting. Sheldon simply mounts a personal attack on AlleyGator every chance
he gets, because Sheldon is a piece of shit.

Bob

jmcquown

Nov 26, 2005, 3:17:57 PM11/26/05
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:
> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only.

So you don't like your dogs much, eh?

What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they
> have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
> the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
> I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer. I end up
> spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all
> really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
> waiting for them to come back. When the sun goes down, they all come
> tearing into the house, drunk on their asses and full of dirt and
> often blood (if they got a deer).

Sounds like you picked some real winners there... drunk off their asses and
no deer to show for it. Oh wait, you don't like venison. WAAAAH!

Then they all want food, which is
> cold by then, so I got to warm everything for them, and listen to them
> complain that its taking too long. Half the time they are so drunk
> they dont even recall what they ate the next day, and it seems they
> always get into a big arguement about someone scaring away a deer or
> something stupid like that. So we got to listen to that crap while
> they are eating. I am completely fed up with this.

PSSST, there's this thing called DIVORCE. Relatively new concept. It's
where you leave.

Better yet, how about marry someone who shares common interests with you?
Obviously this man didn't just start hunting out of the blue (or maybe he
did to get away from your whining). You knew he hunted when you married
him. So why exactly *did* you marry him?

At least the
> state could eliminate the hunting on Thanksgiving day and give the
> guys another day to make it up.

Another day? Like the deer are sitting around a table saying, "Whew, it's
Thanksgiving... let's just play cards, we're safe today. I'll see your two
and raise you five."

> This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking.

Probably wouldn't matter much to them, Shirley. I doubt anything you could
cook would be worthwhile. I'm also wondering why, just because your mother
and grandmother always served dinner at NOON you feel like you have to.
Ever hear of dinner at 8? Or heck, even 4PM?

I'm
> getting a bunch of frozen pizzas and thats what they get, plus the use
> of the oven, because they can bake them themselves. Us women are
> going to go to a restaurant for our turkey dinners, and may not come
> back till midnight.

I'd find a cabin in the woods and hide out there all night if I were him.
Might even sleep up in the blind.

> Happy Fucking Thanksgiving

You too!

Jill <---who cooks what she wants, when she wants and isn't married to
someone she obviously doesn't like very much

jmcquown

Nov 26, 2005, 3:19:12 PM11/26/05

I hope they don't have children!

Jill

jmcquown

Nov 26, 2005, 3:20:20 PM11/26/05

Hear hear! Except it doesn't need to be shipped to England... the southern
US will do nicely. Just don't smoke the meat, I don't care for it that way
:)

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Nov 26, 2005, 3:54:06 PM11/26/05
Jill wrote about venison:

> Just don't smoke the meat, I don't care for it that way :)

Me neither, it takes me *hours* to get the bong cleaned out.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Nov 26, 2005, 5:41:50 PM11/26/05
In article <4388cb08$0$9106$bb4e...@newscene.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

<cough> Remind me not to be drinking when I read your posts. ;-)
Damned near choked to death!

tsr3

Nov 26, 2005, 6:38:22 PM11/26/05
Go to www.allrecipes.com or www.epicurious.com --both websites have
venison recipes.

Also, NRA website has a wild game cookbook.

AlleyGator wrote:
> Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
> and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
> another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
> and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
> gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
> so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
> pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
> seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
> that. Something creative? Anyone?

Rhonda Anderson

Nov 27, 2005, 12:39:30 AM11/27/05
~patches~ <noone...@thisaddress.com> wrote in news:11obj1neeekqa35
@corp.supernews.com:

> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2005-11-23, shirleyw40@-nospam-.com <shirleyw40@-nospam-.com>

>>>spending the holiday with all the wives and that one guy who are all
>>>really fed up with the guys leaving each year. We spend the whole day
>>>waiting for them to come back.
>>

>>>This year the guys are in for a surprise. I am not cooking.
>>

>>>Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
>>

>> Geez, whatta bitch! No wonder the guys all go hunting. Anything to
>> get away from you.
>>
>> nb
>
> Sounds like she needs a major attitude adjustment or for his sake a
> divorce. I can't imagine what their home environment is like with her
> attitude!

I dunno. If, on what is supposed to be a family holiday (from everything
I'm told), my husband and male _guests_ took off somewhere else, came
home drunk, expected the food heated up for them, and complained that it
took too long, _every_ year, I don't think I'd be any too happy either.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

-L.

Nov 27, 2005, 3:33:01 AM11/27/05

shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:
> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only. What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they

> have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
> the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
> I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer.

Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
mention the other hunters.
-L.

Dan Abel

Nov 27, 2005, 4:36:31 AM11/27/05
"-L." <gent...@peacemail.com> wrote:

> shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> > I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> > the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer.
>
> Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
> combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
> mention the other hunters.

There's nothing wrong with drinking and hunting. Just don't do them at
the same time.

:-(

--
Dan Abel
da...@sonic.net

AlleyGator

Nov 27, 2005, 6:27:59 AM11/27/05
"-L." <gent...@peacemail.com> wrote:
>Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
>combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
>mention the other hunters.
>-L.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Guns and alcohol are a deadly
combination. Many years ago, when I was in college, a local "town"
friend used to take me hunting (oftentimes just "shooting" at targets
and such) on his dad's land which was a little over 600 acres. It was
fun and relaxing. Then I began to notice his behavior changeing, and
finally caught him pulling out a bottle of Jack Daniels and taking a
swig. That was it - I had no where else to go shoot, but I'll be
danged if I was going to hang around a drunk guy with a gun. Never
talked to him again. Actually, I did talk to him once and he tried to
apologize, but I value my life too much. I had no reason to believe
he would stop drinking. He showed up at the house I lived in drunk
and holding a bottle while my parents were visiting, for cryin out
loud. I think he was a confirmed alcoholic at age 20. Sad.

Nancy G.

Nov 27, 2005, 11:36:33 AM11/27/05
I marinated the round steaks in Italion salad dressing overnight, then
bread the steaks, and brown in oil. Finish baking them with marinara
sauce with mozzarela cheese.

Pan Ohco

Nov 27, 2005, 1:33:22 PM11/27/05
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:39:30 GMT, Rhonda Anderson wrote:

>I dunno. If, on what is supposed to be a family holiday (from everything
>I'm told), my husband and male _guests_ took off somewhere else, came
>home drunk, expected the food heated up for them, and complained that it
>took too long, _every_ year, I don't think I'd be any too happy either.
>
>Rhonda Anderson
>Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

If every year, the men go hunting,why does she prepare dinner at noon.
It would seem to me that after all these years, and discussions about
his hunting, she would learn to have dinner at 8 P.M.

And seeing as he is part of the "Family Holiday" he (and the other
hunters) should have a say in the timing of the day.

I think that this woman has a control problem. My EX wife had a
similar problem.

kalanamak

Nov 27, 2005, 3:13:10 PM11/27/05
Pan Ohco wrote:

> I think that this woman has a control problem. My EX wife had a
> similar problem.

The German's have a saying: "Whose bread you eat, his song you sing". In
our family, my long-labouring mother called the shots on when we ate. If
we had a school play, she'd adjust, but we ate dinner, weekend, 1 pm
sharp, and weekdays 6 pm sharp. Anyone who grinds through 6 kids on a
low income, a wringer washer, and everything from scratch, working from
before 7 am to after 8 pm day after day, year after year, deserves
special consideration. Now, nearly 90 and cleaning up after and cooking
for my even older father, she pokes her chin out and nods everytime he
brags about how much she's saving him (in would-be nursing home bills).
blacksalt
who made her pecan pie for thanksgiving, made gravy the way she taught
me, and "set" the cranberry relish in the antique bowl she used to use.

Shaun aRe

Nov 28, 2005, 11:58:13 AM11/28/05

"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

But of course it does! Would be ruined if you changed that part of the REC.
heheheh...

Shaun aRe

Kate Connally

Nov 28, 2005, 2:40:12 PM11/28/05
AlleyGator wrote:

> Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
> and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
> another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
> and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
> gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
> so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
> pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
> seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
> that. Something creative? Anyone?
>
> --
> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
> At least now I have an excuse.

You can make sauerbraten with it.
Kate

Kate Connally

Nov 28, 2005, 2:41:02 PM11/28/05

Oh, and venison chili is good.
Kate

Kate Connally

Nov 28, 2005, 2:42:03 PM11/28/05

Oh, and here's my address:
Kate Connally
121 Semmens St.
Turtle Creek, PA 15145

;-)

Pan Ohco

Nov 28, 2005, 3:31:49 PM11/28/05

So if your father had asked her to adjust till 8 P.M. thanksgiving
day, for his play (hunting), she wouldn't have done it?

He who pays the piper picks the tune.

Rhonda Anderson

Nov 29, 2005, 5:40:25 AM11/29/05
Pan Ohco <oh...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Perhaps she could adjust the dinner time, and the other wives and "the
guy who doesn't hunt" <g> could wait at home until dinner time. Is it
also a control problem to object to the men all returning home for
dinner drunk? I certainly wouldn't fuss much with the food, if they can't
remember much of what they ate the next day!

Mind you, as others have mentioned, hunting and alcohol are not a good
combination - there may well come a Thanksgiving when they don't all
return from the expedition.

Pan Ohco

Nov 29, 2005, 1:40:57 PM11/29/05
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:40:25 GMT, Rhonda Anderson wrote:

>Perhaps she could adjust the dinner time, and the other wives and "the
>guy who doesn't hunt" <g> could wait at home until dinner time.

> Is it
>also a control problem to object to the men all returning home for
>dinner drunk?

Did they in fact come home drunk. Or is it the person who is unhappy
about the hunting using the standard slap against hunters.

I belong to a hunt club, and we (the members) will have a drink after
the days hunt, not get drunk. One of the members will get drunk,after
the hunting is done for the day, and will be transported home. But
then he gets drunk when is not hunting. And a rule of the club is that
all guns are put up before the bottle is opened.

>Mind you, as others have mentioned, hunting and alcohol are not a good
>combination - there may well come a Thanksgiving when they don't all
>return from the expedition.

That is again the slap against the hunters. If you noticed that every
one that spoke here was against drinking while hunting or handling
arms at any time.

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 1:32:28 PM11/29/05
In article <43839c0...@news.individual.net>,
Alley...@otheryellermeat.org (AlleyGator) wrote:

> Something creative? Anyone?

I don't remember if I've replied or not, so this may be a repeat. We
use the ground meat in pasta sauces and chilis.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 1:34:57 PM11/29/05
In article <43841112$0$6815$bb4e...@newscene.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not going
> to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that is ready
> hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out shoes (and GOD
> am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8 PM. That ought to
> be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and have some nibbles with
> cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives like you, I'm sure they NEED
> those cocktails.

That's what I was thinking. It is a marital problem, not a hunting
problem.

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 1:35:45 PM11/29/05
In article <11o9pqq...@corp.supernews.com>,
"Sandy" <san...@personainternet.com> wrote:

> I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long, and
> he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
> That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends, re-decorating,
> painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
> We both need a break from each other.

And if it works out right, you get a freezer full of meat. It's not
a bad exchange, if you ask me.

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 1:38:10 PM11/29/05
In article <06k9o1p7slmnd696m...@4ax.com>,
shirleyw40@-nospam-.com wrote:

> We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
> grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
> up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
> drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.

So you are one of those people who enjoys turkey for breakfast. This
year, we had nobody going home the same day, so we had a late brunch at
around 11:00 and _DINNER_ at 6:00. Get over yourself. Holiday
traditions are about both parties to a marriage. If the holiday hunt
bothers you, perhaps you can encourage him to do so the day after, but
becoming bitter and nasty will never change him and will only ruin your
life. He may never change, but at least you can take the high road and
enjoy your life.

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 1:43:48 PM11/29/05
In article <E3rif.128$T95....@news.uswest.net>,
kalanamak <kala...@qwest.net> wrote:

> The German's have a saying: "Whose bread you eat, his song you sing". In
> our family, my long-labouring mother called the shots on when we ate. If
> we had a school play, she'd adjust, but we ate dinner, weekend, 1 pm
> sharp, and weekdays 6 pm sharp. Anyone who grinds through 6 kids on a
> low income, a wringer washer, and everything from scratch, working from
> before 7 am to after 8 pm day after day, year after year, deserves
> special consideration. Now, nearly 90 and cleaning up after and cooking
> for my even older father, she pokes her chin out and nods everytime he
> brags about how much she's saving him (in would-be nursing home bills).
> blacksalt
> who made her pecan pie for thanksgiving, made gravy the way she taught
> me, and "set" the cranberry relish in the antique bowl she used to use.

In general, this is how things are done here. I cook, so I pick the
meals, I arrange meal times, etc. However, and this is a big however, I
also don't make food I know my husband hates, plan dinner for when he is
at work, etc. I am not the only person in our marriage, and he deserves
to have some say, in the things that affect him. I couldn't care less
about a salad at Thanksgiving, because of the relish tray and all the
vegetable side dishes, but Rich likes it, so I make sure there is one,
even if it is asking a family member to bring one. When Rich had to
work on holidays, we made sure our meal was done when he could be at
home. I understand that hunting isn't a job in the example here, but it
is his day of rest as well, and the time can be adjusted to when he is
present, rather than stewing all day while the food gets cold.

Rhonda Anderson

Nov 29, 2005, 4:41:03 PM11/29/05

> Did they in fact come home drunk. Or is it the person who is unhappy
> about the hunting using the standard slap against hunters.

That's a possibility. I was just working from the supposition that she
was telling the truth. However, as I don't know the woman, and she's
obviously not happy, perhaps it's not true. I suppose I also had the
background of having associated with property owners whose stock were
killed when city boys came out running around in utes with beer and guns.
While there are certainly many responsible hunters etc (as with you and
your club) there are also idiots in this country, and I would have to
assume in yours as well, who will mix alcohol and shooting.

>>Mind you, as others have mentioned, hunting and alcohol are not a good
>>combination - there may well come a Thanksgiving when they don't all
>>return from the expedition.

> That is again the slap against the hunters. If you noticed that every
> one that spoke here was against drinking while hunting or handling
> arms at any time.

Sorry - what's a slap against the hunters? I mentioned hunting as that
was what was being discussed in this situation. Mixing alcohol with the
use of any dangerous equipment is not a good idea.

The woman certainly seems to be unhappy. There are probably other issues
besides Thanksgiving dinner. However, I don't know the whole situation,
and can't say that she is entirely at fault any more than I could say
that her husband is. I simply mentioned that I'd be a little unhappy if
people came home drunk to dinner. Maybe she can change the situation, or
maybe that's difficult - I'm not in a situation to know.As Ranee
mentioned, she could take the high road, but that's not always easy to
do! <g>

Ranee Mueller

Nov 29, 2005, 6:50:56 PM11/29/05
In article <Xns971E585433F71sc...@61.9.191.5>,
Rhonda Anderson <schuma...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> That's a possibility. I was just working from the supposition that she
> was telling the truth. However, as I don't know the woman, and she's
> obviously not happy, perhaps it's not true. I suppose I also had the
> background of having associated with property owners whose stock were
> killed when city boys came out running around in utes with beer and guns.
> While there are certainly many responsible hunters etc (as with you and
> your club) there are also idiots in this country, and I would have to
> assume in yours as well, who will mix alcohol and shooting.

IME, the vast majority of hunters follow the law and are courteous.
If for no other reason than that the law is strictly enforced and they
don't want to have penalties levied against them and lose their hunting
license. There are bad seeds, but they are few and far between and are
sneered at by the majority of hunters. They are a nasty group, though,
and leave a far greater impression.