Post-Traumatic Comfort Foods

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2001, 9:45:11 AM9/12/01
When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
eat in order to try to feel better?

We didn't eat yesterday, but I suppose we'll have to, eventually. I'm
thinking of trying a composite of the split pea soup recipes that were
shared with me the other day.

Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?

Damsel

Archon

Sep 12, 2001, 10:15:28 AM9/12/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
> eat in order to try to feel better?

Chocolate!

Michael Nielsen Stud. Polyt. in Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg
University

E-Mail: arc...@kom.auc.dk
http://mp3.com/archon2
http://www.archonia.dk

Trinker

Sep 12, 2001, 11:17:55 AM9/12/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I ended up making a few different things.

Lunch--
Fractured Cabbage Roll Soup with Glass Noodles
(They were supposed to be meatballs with chopped up Chinese cabbage,
but I didn't add any egg or starch, so the ground meat fell apart.
Yummy, though!)(And yes, I ground my own beef for this.)(Saifun
noodles rehydrated in boiling water for 10 minutes, and then
soaked in the broth for another 10 before serving.)

Dinner--
Chicken Soup with potatoes, carrots, onions, and peas
(Home made stock from the bones left over from chicken breasts
that I'd bought bone-in, and thrown into the freezer.)

Steak Salad with Tomatoes over Romaine (dressing made from pan
drippings deglazed with red wine and balsamic vinegar and garlic,
hand shredded romaine tossed into the hot pan.)

st...@temple.edu

Sep 12, 2001, 11:29:23 AM9/12/01
Trinker <trinke...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I ended up making a few different things.

Yesterday, I spent most of the day as a passenger in a rental car riding
from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. I ate a small bag of popcorn at the first
of our two rest stop breaks and a grilled chicken sandwhich with a bit of
salad on the second break when we had to stop anyway to quench our rental
car's thirst for more gas. Last night, as I sat watching CNN and reading
postings on this newsgroup, I ate a bowl of tomato soup. For lunch today,
I plan to go out to the gym to work out for an hour. I have no idea what I
will do for dinner, but I am certainly glad I am alive to ponder the
possibilities.

Trinker

Sep 12, 2001, 11:40:30 AM9/12/01

Indeed. Eating comforting food was an amazing affirmation of
life, and as I was eating (and cooking), I stopped to think about
the people for whom food is the least of their concerns right now.
If I were on the other coast, I'd be considering pitching in to
feed rescue workers or something.

Mikkel de Winther

Sep 12, 2001, 12:30:28 PM9/12/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> skrev i

I was too depressed to cook yesterday, so I bought a can of Chinese
vegetable soup and a large chocolate cake and ate it in bed while watching
CNN. Don't know what I'm making today, probably lasagna, which is my idea of
the perfect comfort food.

m.

maxine in ri

Sep 12, 2001, 12:34:29 PM9/12/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

A bowl of cereal and milk liberally sprinkled with sugar and slice strawberries.

soup. any kind, as long as it's hot and filling and the oyster
crackers float on top til they split open.

chocolate.

maxine in ri

K3

Sep 12, 2001, 2:03:18 PM9/12/01
"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]

Comfort food... Hmmm... I'd have to say a big bowl of some-sort-of heavy,
hearty soup. Minestrone, Pasta Fagioli (sp?), or a big bowl of Chinese or
Thai Hot & Sour Soup with lots of veggies would be at the top of my list of
comfort foods.

Easy Homemade Pasta Fagioli --> http://home.maine.rr.com/k3/pastafagioli.htm

Please note that all measurements are estimates... I hardly ever measure
anything.

P.S. I'm still trying to find the best Hot & Sour Soup recipe. Got one?
Please share it with me.

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
k...@maine.rr.com

Elisabeth Bouynot

Sep 12, 2001, 2:19:05 PM9/12/01
In article <9no7v5$8ia8m$1...@ID-89669.news.dfncis.de>, k...@maine.rr.com
says...

> > We didn't eat yesterday, but I suppose we'll have to, eventually. I'm
> > thinking of trying a composite of the split pea soup recipes that were
> > shared with me the other day.
> >
> > Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?
>
> Comfort food... Hmmm... I'd have to say a big bowl of some-sort-of heavy,
> hearty soup. Minestrone, Pasta Fagioli (sp?), or a big bowl of Chinese or
> Thai Hot & Sour Soup with lots of veggies would be at the top of my list of
> comfort foods.

I made French onion soup. Since I was crying already...

Elisabeth

Archon

Sep 12, 2001, 2:59:39 PM9/12/01

> Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?

There's also the comfort of buying a new cookbook. I got another in the
series "The Huge X-book" (I have X= dessert) and this one was X = Asian.
Now I have Japanese recipies for my Sake :)

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 12, 2001, 3:10:56 PM9/12/01
Elisabeth Bouynot <elis...@gabuzomeu.net> wrote:

>I made French onion soup. Since I was crying already...

It's startling. Almost everyone who's responded so far has eaten soup.
This reaffirms my plans to try split pea today. I'll post the recipe if
it turns out well.

Carol

MareCat

Sep 12, 2001, 3:20:35 PM9/12/01
"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

This was posted on rec.food.recipes back in March by Christa Foster. Haven't
tried it yet, but she says it's a fantastic H&S soup.

Hot & Sour Soup

2 tsp Oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans chicken broth
1 cup plus 3 Tbsp water, divided
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin 1 inch strips
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 egg, well beaten
1 (6 oz) package frozen snow peas
1 (8 oz) can bamboo shoots, cut into thin strips
chow mein noodles

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add
mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Stir in chicken broth, 1 cup water,
vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low. Add chicken; stir to separate strips. Simmer 2
minutes. Combine cornstarch and remaining 3 Tbsp water; mix well. Stir
into
soup; bring to a boil. Stir in egg with fork to separate into strands. Add
pea pods and bamboo shoots; heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with noodles just before serving.

Makes 9 servings.

(Personal Note: I increase the vinegar and the white pepper when I make
this. Also, I sometimes omit the snow peas and add thinly sliced tofu. It
is up to you.)

K3

Sep 12, 2001, 3:31:53 PM9/12/01

"MareCat" <mgo...@intertex.net> wrote in message

<recipe snipped>

Thanks "MareCat"... I'm gonna try it (adding a few other ingredients), but I
think I'm gonna substitute tofu for the chicken. I'm not a vegetarian, but
I'm not one who likes chicken that much (unless it's BBQ'd).

Thanks for the recipe!

st...@temple.edu

Sep 12, 2001, 3:29:13 PM9/12/01

Weird. The only thing I ate last night was some tomato soup to which
I added a handfull of cooked orzo.

J. Helman

Sep 12, 2001, 3:48:05 PM9/12/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Don't feel like cooking or shopping for food. Yesterday we ate takeout
seafood subs for lunch and nuked leftover pizza for dinner. Today we
ate nuked leftover mu shu vegetables on rice for lunch. We're out of
leftovers now, so I'm not sure what we'll do for dinner.

Ronda L. Carnicelli

Sep 12, 2001, 3:52:31 PM9/12/01
> Comfort food... Hmmm... I'd have to say a big bowl of some-sort-of heavy,
> hearty soup. Minestrone, Pasta Fagioli (sp?), or a big bowl of Chinese
or
> Thai Hot & Sour Soup with lots of veggies would be at the top of my list
of
> comfort foods.

We opted for soup too. Big bowls of New England Clam Chowder served with
grilled cheese sandwiches. Good soup ... too bad we are too upset to enjoy
it. We're still awaiting word from several loved ones that work in lower
Manhatten. Sometimes it's very hard to be patient...

Ronda

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Sep 12, 2001, 3:55:30 PM9/12/01
On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:31:53 -0400, K3 <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks "MareCat"... I'm gonna try it (adding a few other ingredients), but I
>think I'm gonna substitute tofu for the chicken. I'm not a vegetarian, but
>I'm not one who likes chicken that much (unless it's BBQ'd).
>
>Thanks for the recipe!

I like using pork, and most Chinese restaurants here use it in
H&S soup as well. I did try one vegetarian version, but preferred the
ones wth meat...

Ariane

Hot and Sour Soup

--adapted from Mollie Katzen's recipe in the New Moosewood Restaurant
cookbook and Barbara Tropp's recipe in _Classic Chinese Cooking_.

8-10 dried chinese black mushrooms, reconstituted 20-30 minutes in
cool water and sliced
1/2 cup dried tree ear mushrooms, also reconstituted*
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb. boneless pork loin or pork chops, thinly sliced (can marinate
it in a bit of sherry/rice wine, soy sauce and pepper for extra flavor)

1 cake tofu, thinly sliced into sticks*
1 cup sliced white mushrooms*
1/3 cup julienned bamboo shoots*
1/4 cup lily buds*

3 Tbsp. sherry or rice wine
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce, or more to taste
1 3/4 Tbsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne, or to taste

2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cool water*
black or white pepper
sesame oil*
chopped scallions

* indicates optional ingredients, although personally, I like it
better with the tree ears, sesame oil and mushrooms.

In a big pot, bring chicken stock to a boil and add reconstituted
mushrooms. Add sliced pork and stir gently. Simmer until pork is
cooked through. Add sherry/rice wine, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and
cayenne and stir. Simmer 15 minutes.

Whisk beaten egg and pour into soup while stirring briskly. If you
want a thicker consistency, add the cornstarch and water mix. You can
always add more if you like it more viscous. Season with plenty of
pepper, a 1/4 tsp or more or sesame oil and sprinkle with chopped
scallions. Serves 6-8.

Notes: It's very flexible. I don't always add tofu if I don't have
it, and you could certainly substitute or add other vegetables, like
julienned carrots or some napa cabbage. This also keeps well several
days in the fridge, although it seems to congeal a bit.

K3

Sep 12, 2001, 4:12:07 PM9/12/01
"Ronda L. Carnicelli" <ronda...@seasoned.com> wrote in message

We're all here waiting with you Rhonda. I was very happy to hear from my
younger sister late last night (who lives in NYC) who's one of the most
important people in my life. I'll say an extra prayer for you and your
family tonight.

Email me if you need to talk to someone.

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 12, 2001, 4:39:19 PM9/12/01
In article <32Pn7.60240$xb.30...@news1.mntp1.il.home.com>,

Ronda,
I hope you hear good news from your loved ones.

--
Sheryl
~~Live like there's no tomorrow

minnie

Sep 12, 2001, 4:39:54 PM9/12/01

> P.S. I'm still trying to find the best Hot & Sour Soup recipe. Got
one?
> Please share it with me.
>
> --
> Kendall F. Stratton III
> k...@maine.rr.com
> http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup

Recipe By :rec.food.recipes
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soup

6 cups chicken stock
1/4 pound lean pork -- julienned
2 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 eggs -- beaten
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup bamboo shoots -- julienned
1/2 cup waterchestnuts -- sliced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms -- sliced, stems remove
1 cup straw mushrooms
1 cake tofu -- 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup dried black fungus -- soaked for 1 hour
finely chopped scallions -- garnish

Bring stock to a simmer. Add soy sauce, pork, mushrooms and chile paste.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add pepper, vinegar, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, fungus and tofu. Simmer
5 minutes.
Mix cornstarch with 5 tablespoons water and add. Bring back to simmer and
pour the eggs in a very thin stream over the surface. Let stand for 10
seconds before stirring in the sesame oil.
Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.

NOTES : The pepper, chile paste and vinegar can be varied for taste.
I also omit the pork and use less egg.

MareCat

Sep 12, 2001, 4:54:06 PM9/12/01
<ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:31:53 -0400, K3 <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >Thanks "MareCat"... I'm gonna try it (adding a few other ingredients),
but I
> >think I'm gonna substitute tofu for the chicken. I'm not a vegetarian,
but
> >I'm not one who likes chicken that much (unless it's BBQ'd).
> >
> >Thanks for the recipe!
>
> I like using pork, and most Chinese restaurants here use it in
> H&S soup as well. I did try one vegetarian version, but preferred the
> ones wth meat...
>
> Ariane

<snipped yummy-sounding recipe>

All of our Chinese restaurants here (at least the ones I've tried) use pork
(and tofu) as well. I prefer that to chicken.

Mary

Ronda L. Carnicelli

Sep 12, 2001, 4:53:02 PM9/12/01

> "Ronda L. Carnicelli" <ronda...@seasoned.com> wrote in message
> > We opted for soup too. Big bowls of New England Clam Chowder served with
> > grilled cheese sandwiches. Good soup ... too bad we are too upset to
enjoy
> > it. We're still awaiting word from several loved ones that work in lower
> > Manhatten. Sometimes it's very hard to be patient...
> >
> > Ronda
> >

> We're all here waiting with you Rhonda. I was very happy to hear from my
> younger sister late last night (who lives in NYC) who's one of the most
> important people in my life. I'll say an extra prayer for you and your
> family tonight.
>
> Email me if you need to talk to someone.
>
> --
> Kendall F. Stratton III
> k...@maine.rr.com
> http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

I'm glad that you got in touch with your sister. It's so impossible to go
about your life in any kind of normal way while there's that knot slowly
twisting tighter in your stomach. It's just so upsetting.

On the bright side, I've heard from a handful of the folks that are near and
dear to me from that area. Biggest sigh of relief so far happened after I
heard from a close friend who worked in the north tower and was running
exceptionally late for work yesterday and never made it there -- thank
goodness! She was crying on the phone when she chuckled through the tears
and said how ironic that she'd been cussing about her cat -- who was the
source of her lateness -- and since the news she's given her the title of
Honorary Saint. All I can say is All Hail, Saint Peanut!

-Ronda

Siobhan Perricone

Sep 12, 2001, 5:46:32 PM9/12/01

It's chocolate milkshake day according to my husband's funky holidays list.
We're gonna make some.

I don't know what else we'll have for dinner, though. I haven't thought
that far ahead, though I need to, it's dinner time.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm

Christian Wilms

Sep 12, 2001, 6:29:27 PM9/12/01
Archon <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote:

> Chocolate!

Nice and hot chocolate.

Heat milk with a little black pepper, a cinnamon stick, a touch of
nutmeg and a cardammon. Melt a block of dark backing chocolate, stir in
some of the milk and cocoa powder to make a smooth, thick sauce and stir
in the rest of the milk (oh yeah, don't forget to fish out the cinnamon
and cardammon) and stir in sugar to taste.

Doesn't work miracles, but is as close to that as it gets.

As an american citizen (New Yorker) living abroad, I too am in shock.

Chris
--
Chr. Wilms (mel...@gmx.net)

Robin

Sep 12, 2001, 7:24:49 PM9/12/01
I made macaroni and cheese. I would have added bacon crumbles like my
mom made it when I was a kid, but we didn't have bacon in the house...

S.Dunlap

Sep 12, 2001, 8:08:02 PM9/12/01

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

No recipe...just chocolate..in any form...cookies, candy, ice cream.
Probably why I am sick today. Stuffing junk in while trying to locate my
brother in law who is a city cop that normally works the WTC area. Finally
got an email from my sister that he was on his way to requalify on the
pistol range when this happened and was no where near the WTC.

Sandi

MH

Sep 12, 2001, 8:37:16 PM9/12/01
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
> > eat in order to try to feel better?
> >
> > We didn't eat yesterday, but I suppose we'll have to, eventually. I'm
> > thinking of trying a composite of the split pea soup recipes that were
> > shared with me the other day.
> >
> > Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?

I ate a lot of starchy things yesterday. I had some french bread and I
swathed it with butter, garlic and cheese and baked it for a few minutes.

I also had some pasta with tomato sauce and frozen yogurt.

Aquari

Sep 12, 2001, 8:58:07 PM9/12/01
Tortilla soup tonight:

Beef broth
Comino
Chili Powder
Garlic
Some beef meatballs
Santa Fe seasoning

Let simmer for some time. I put these things in a crockpot for the afternoon.

Then add a quarter cup of polenta for each 3 or 4 cups of liquid and let simmer
for an hour.

Serve with:

Tortilla (corn) strips (skinny ones) fried in peanut oil til crisp and lightly
salted
Shredded cheese (I used cheddar and jack)
Avocado cubes
Jalapenos

Libby

Michelle

Sep 12, 2001, 9:27:04 PM9/12/01
yesterday, here about 20 minutes north of the city, it was no food at all.
I was running late, fed my son, got him on the bus for school and didn't eat
anything myself. And then, I just forgot.

today, being home, I made the biggest batch of lasagna I have ever made. I
was actually unaware of making it - i was just doing it. And I made (out of
a can) my childhood favorite.. campbells bean and bacon soup with ritz
crackers.

sticks (pud)

Sep 12, 2001, 10:08:11 PM9/12/01
this is a nice thread damsel, thank you!

--
Mary f. <No Kitty! it's MY POT PIE!>
_ _
|,4) -,_. , ( `'-'
'-~~' (_/~~' `-'\_)
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (When I wake up, I'm gonna
get
a CAT scan, "the santa clause")
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

http://www.zyworld.com/annfan/Home.htm (for Redskin fans!)

Robbyn

Sep 12, 2001, 10:19:00 PM9/12/01
> Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?
>
> Damsel

Last night I had toast and warm milk w/honey for supper - it was all I
could manage. SO had soup.

Tonight we had re-heated meatloaf and fixin's - which was pretty good,
actually. But I had picked up the "comfort" chocolate cake on the way
home and neither of us touched it.

I extend my profoundest condolences to those who have lost loved ones
and my heart's best hope for those still waiting to hear.

At least I didn't cry so much today.

Robbyn
To reach me by email, send to robbyn1 at mindspring dot com.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam was getting
to be to much!

Amy Hendrix

Sep 12, 2001, 10:17:20 PM9/12/01
"K3" <k...@maine.rr.com> wrote in

>> Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?
>>
>> Damsel
>
> Comfort food... Hmmm... I'd have to say a big bowl of
> some-sort-of heavy, hearty soup. Minestrone, Pasta Fagioli
> (sp?), or a big bowl of Chinese or Thai Hot & Sour Soup with
> lots of veggies would be at the top of my list of comfort
> foods.

Another vote for hearty stewy stuff -- chile verde, here.

Yesterday I didn't eat a thing. Today I didn't eat breakfast, then
had a big piece of chocolate cake instead of lunch. Nice cake, but
by the time I came home today, I was exhausted and totally fried and
I needed *real* comfort food.

Thanks, Damsel, for the thread. And for reminding me to cook
something.

--
Amy Hendrix - Durham, NC
DO NOTHING, UNSUCCESSFULLY

jammer

Sep 12, 2001, 10:21:24 PM9/12/01

Tomato Cheeseburger Pie out of a Pilsbury Cook-off book from '59, i
think.

German Cake bread, warm with softened butter.

Anything i would list would be favs from when i was a child...

I like to bake and sometimes, it's like you said, i dont even realize
i'm doing it. I totally lose myself in it and when i'm done with my
thinking, i have fresh hot cookies! [or pie, etc]

I also dig cookies and milk or a rootbeer float when i'm feeling
low....

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:08:11 GMT, "sticks (pud)" <ma...@earthlink.net>

Heather

Sep 12, 2001, 11:00:26 PM9/12/01
Nuked pizza? BLEH! It gets so rubbery. A 400 degree oven for a few
minutes is the best way to reheat IMO.

--

x-no-archive: yes

"I dont wanna behave myself! I don't CARE about behaving myself!!"~~Katie
Morosky
"J. Helman" <jhe...@blazenet.net> wrote in message

Kaari Jae

Sep 13, 2001, 2:07:44 AM9/13/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

A soup is good. It doesn't mind of extra drops of salty water.
Kaari

Please remove Seattle before replying. Thank you!!!

"What my mother believed about cooking is that if you worked hard
and prospered, someone else would do it for you."
Nora Ephron

Regina Holt

Sep 13, 2001, 1:56:29 AM9/13/01

Post-Traumatic Comfort Foods

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2001, 1:45pm (EDT+4) From:
dam...@postmark.net.invalid (Damsel in dis Dress)
When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
eat in order to try to feel better?
We didn't eat yesterday, but I suppose we'll have to, eventually. I'm
thinking of trying a composite of the split pea soup recipes that were
shared with me the other day.
Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?
Damsel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm still too ptsd-ed to think much less cook, so tonight I ate rice
chex and soy nuts. My brother has given me a recipe for lentil soup I
will cook tomorrow. I have yellow lentils so it will be made with that.
Two ingredients are citrus zest and fresh ginger coins, which are two
flavors I enjoy quite a bit. If it goes as well as is hoped, I'll post
the recipe in hopes it would be of interest to those who enjoy lentil
and split pea soups. Today I slept
a lot, waking to take calls. Three of my congregants are presumed dead
due to meetings they were scheduled to attend in WTC. One friend of
almost 20 years is known to be dead. The neighbor two apts above me
died in the Pentagon crash. And I cannot get the sight and the noise of
that plane kamikaze-ing into the side of the Pentagon out of my mind.
For the life of me I cannot imagine what the United States did that was
so awful that people decided to kill innocent citizens in order to
further their cause. Gina

Archon

Sep 13, 2001, 2:52:02 AM9/13/01

> I ate a lot of starchy things yesterday. I had some french bread and I
> swathed it with butter, garlic and cheese and baked it for a few minutes.
>
> I also had some pasta with tomato sauce and frozen yogurt.

Frozen yoghurt on pasta??? Sure beats your potato for breakfast! :)

Michael Nielsen Stud. Polyt. in Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg
University

E-Mail: arc...@kom.auc.dk
http://mp3.com/archon2
http://www.archonia.dk

Thierry Gerbault

Sep 13, 2001, 5:09:05 AM9/13/01
On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:45:11 GMT in article
<jgpuptssppd6s0ta8...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis Dress
graciously offered...

> When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
> eat in order to try to feel better?
>
> We didn't eat yesterday, but I suppose we'll have to, eventually. I'm
> thinking of trying a composite of the split pea soup recipes that were
> shared with me the other day.
>
> Wanna post your recipes for feel-better foods?
>
> Damsel

No real recipe... A roasted chicken and root vegetables, along with a
small salad and Parker House rolls.

--
Thierry Gerbault

(remove NOSPAM from address to reply)

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Victor Sack

Sep 13, 2001, 6:39:21 AM9/13/01
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
> eat in order to try to feel better?

Something soothing... chicken soup. Something that helps cure us from
considering moral, or even just civilisational relativism - in its
practical application - as anything but a disease.

Victor

JANIC412

Sep 13, 2001, 9:30:38 AM9/13/01
Split Pea Soup

I made a big pot of Split Pea soup. I had 2 very meaty ham bones and about 3
cups of ham cubes in the freezer. I put the bones and ham cubes in a pot,
covered it with water, added an onion and 3 garlic cloves then boiled for about
an hour-took the bones and meat out, strained the broth then put it back into
the soup pot along with the meat from the bones and the cubes of ham. Rinsed
the peas well, dumped them in and brought it to a boil. Lower the heat to a
simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. About the last 25 minutes, add diced carrots,
celery, small onion and potatoes (as much of the vegetables as you like). Cook
until the vegetables are tender. Serve.

It is funny that everyone turned to soup or the basic foods for the comfort
level. Jan

Trinker

Sep 13, 2001, 9:39:58 AM9/13/01

I suspect most of us don't have the mental energy to make or
eat elaborate food, or unfamiliar food. Soup is very forgiving
of lapses in timing, etc. and easy to eat.

Judy Wagner

Sep 13, 2001, 6:07:38 AM9/13/01
In article <3BA0B72E...@yahoo.com> Trinker <trinke...@yahoo.com> writes:
>From: Trinker <trinke...@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Post-Traumatic Comfort Foods
>Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:39:58 -0700

We had pot roast....

JOW

Young

Sep 13, 2001, 10:21:42 AM9/13/01
Judy Wagner wrote:

> We had pot roast....

Ditto. It didn't turn out very well, though. I think I forgot to
add salt or something. A little distracted over here.

nancy

motorgirl

Sep 13, 2001, 11:28:25 AM9/13/01
We had Oreos and milk.

And mac n cheese the next day.

GaryO

Sep 13, 2001, 2:04:29 PM9/13/01
Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message news:<3BA0C0...@mail.monmouth.com>...

Distracted, uhm, yes. I can't cook right now. You would think that a
relaxing, enjoyable event like cooking would be just the thing. But I
cannot. You don't want to know about the garbled mental energy that
runs rampant every time I think of hoisting a knife.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

Matt Hucke

Sep 13, 2001, 3:00:08 PM9/13/01
In article <jgpuptssppd6s0ta8...@4ax.com>,

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>When your whole world has been turned upside-down, what do you cook and
>eat in order to try to feel better?

I drank Mexican chocolate (Ibarra) during the first hours of the
attack; my friends who I was with drank coffee.

When we went out to try to give blood (which we couldn't do because of
the crowds), we ate at Mangiano's Italian restaurant (Chicago suburbs).
I had linguini with white clam sauce. None of us were really hungry,
and we didn't finish.

The restaurant was nearly deserted.

Wednesday night, I made tortilla soup (from a Rick Bayless cookbook I
had just bought) and chicken with spinach in chipotle and cream sauce,
which I had seen Bayless demonstrate on TV last weekend. Both were
excellent.

--
---
Matt Hucke (hu...@cynico.com)

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2001, 3:26:28 PM9/13/01
Here's another good soup recipe. I've only purchased this soup,
pre-made, but it's great. Someday, I'll get around to making a batch
myself. In the meantime, I'm sharing it with my friends. (Byerly's is
a chain of high-end grocery stores, located here in the Twin Cities.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

Recipe By :Byerly's
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : rice soups/chowders

6 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice -- (1/2 cup raw)
1/2 cup carrots -- finely grated
1/3 cup minced ham
3 tablespoons slivered almonds -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons dry sherry -- optional

In large saucepan, melt margarine; saute onion until tender. Blend in
flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture
comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, carrots, ham,
almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. Blend in half-and-half and
sherry; heat to serving temperature.

Garnish with snipped parsley or chives.

Cuisine:
"American - Midwest"
Yield:
"6 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2001, 3:29:58 PM9/13/01
Here's a recipe I found on the Quaker Oats site. I might make some of
this as a back-up, in case I don't care for the split pea soup, which
keeps getting delayed. We're having it for dinner tonight, come hell or
high water!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quaker's Oatmeal Soup

Recipe By :Quaker Oats
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : fall/winter grains
soups/chowders

3 tablespoons butter -- divided
3/4 cup onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup oats, rolled (raw)
6 cups ready-to-serve chicken broth
1 cup oats, rolled (cooked)
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 tablespoon dried parsley

In large skillet or saucepan, cook onion and carrots in 2 tablespoons
butter over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is
tender. Add 1/2 cup uncooked oats and remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until oats are golden brown.

Stir in broth; bring to a low boil. Stir in cooked oatmeal, stirring
until well mixed. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Season to taste with
salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

Source:
"www.quakeroatmeal.com"

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 14, 2001, 3:21:04 PM9/14/01
Here's another recipe that has the potential to make a person feel good. I
think I'll make a batch for tonight's dinner.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mashed Potatoes with Prosciutto and Parmesan Cheese

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : potatoes side dishes

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces prosciutto -- thinly sliced, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup skim milk -- or more if needed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1. Cook potatoes and garlic in large pot of boiling water until potatoes
are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; return potatoes and garlic to
same pot.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Add
chopped prosciutto and thyme and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add prosciutto mixture and 3/4 cup milk to potatoes and garlic. Mash
well, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls if potatoes are dry. Mix in 1/2
cup cheese. Season with pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and
chill. Stir over low heat to rewarm, adding more milk by tablespoonfuls, if
desired.) Transfer potatoes to bowl. Sprinkle lightly with 2 tablespoons
cheese; serve.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source: