Bowl of Red

The Reids

Jul 23, 2001, 11:13:39 AM7/23/01
Have I been conned by you lot over the Atlantic?
I spoke to a Texan lady yesterday, on the phone, for real!
To make polite conversation I mentioned the "bowl of red" which I
understood to be the Texan national dish, she had never head of it!
Whats going on?
--
Mike Reid
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" Dalai lama

Michael Odom

Jul 23, 2001, 2:50:25 PM7/23/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:25:36 GMT, Curtis <Cur...@none.fake> wrote:

>In article <46tnltorgjhqe4ef0...@4ax.com>, The Reids

><gilla...@mcmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have I been conned by you lot over the Atlantic?
>> I spoke to a Texan lady yesterday, on the phone, for real!
>> To make polite conversation I mentioned the "bowl of red" which I
>> understood to be the Texan national dish, she had never head of it!
>> Whats going on?
>

>Perhaps you meant chili. Perhaps not.

This is my fault, I fear. We had a discussion about chili some time
back, and I introduced him to the expression. However, the contextual
uses and limitations of the term "a bowl of red" were harder for me to
communicate. Note for example his use of the definite article and my
indefinite article.

M.Odom is at modom at koyote dot com

"It serve you right to suffer."
-- John Lee Hooker

Dimitri

Jul 23, 2001, 3:27:22 PM7/23/01

"The Reids" <gilla...@mcmail.com> wrote in message

> Have I been conned by you lot over the Atlantic?
> I spoke to a Texan lady yesterday, on the phone, for real!
> To make polite conversation I mentioned the "bowl of red" which I
> understood to be the Texan national dish, she had never head of it!
> Whats going on?
> --
> Mike Reid

There are several possibilities:

1. No you have not been conned. go here:
http://www.virtualtexan.com/food/chili/redchi.htm
2. although the "lady" lives in Texas she may not be a native.
3. She may be a "lady" from the upper crust in which case she may not
have been exposed to that side of the Texas lifestyle.
4. She may have been "having you on a bit"
5. Your reference may have been so out of place she may have been trying
to put the "bowl of red" into a UK context.
6. She could just be a (I'm gonna get killed for this I know) Texas
Blond.

Dimitri

Dimitri

Jul 23, 2001, 4:07:22 PM7/23/01

"Curtis" <Cur...@none.fake> wrote in message
> In article <uU_67.7203$sS.130...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,

> Dimitri <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > 1. No you have not been conned. go here:
> > http://www.virtualtexan.com/food/chili/redchi.htm
>
> Hmmm. I have lived in Fort Worth for 50 years. I have never heard of
> chili referred to as a "bowl of red". For one thing, it's ambiguous.
> Red beans are a favorite around here and that's what comes to mind as
> much as anything else. For another, chili prepared properly is not red.
> Tomatoes are not used in chili. Chili is brown.
>
> I read Bud Kennedy's column weekly. It's in the Friday Startle-Gram
> newspaper. He apparently was getting paid by the word and was just
> trying to get a little flowery. I have no other explanation.
>
> --
> Curtis

See Below:

Dimitri

chili con carne

Definition: [CHIHL-ee kon KAHR-nay; CHIHL-ee kon KAHR-nee] Spanish for
"chili with meat," this dish is a melange of diced or ground beef and chiles
or chili powder (or both). It originated in the Lone Star State and Texans,
who commonly refer to it as "a bowl of red," consider it a crime to add
beans to the mixture. In many parts of the country, however, beans are
requisite and the dish is called "chili con carne with beans."

--Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food
Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Dimitri

Jul 23, 2001, 5:34:21 PM7/23/01

> In article <_t%67.7240$jV2.131...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,

> Dimitri <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm. I have lived in Fort Worth for 50 years. I have never heard of
> > > chili referred to as a "bowl of red". For one thing, it's ambiguous.
> > > Red beans are a favorite around here and that's what comes to mind as
> > > much as anything else. For another, chili prepared properly is not
red.
> > > Tomatoes are not used in chili. Chili is brown.
> > >
> > > I read Bud Kennedy's column weekly. It's in the Friday Startle-Gram
> > > newspaper. He apparently was getting paid by the word and was just
> > > trying to get a little flowery. I have no other explanation.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Curtis
> >

> > See Below:
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > chili con carne
> >
> > Definition: [CHIHL-ee kon KAHR-nay; CHIHL-ee kon KAHR-nee] Spanish for
> > "chili with meat," this dish is a melange of diced or ground beef and
chiles
> > or chili powder (or both). It originated in the Lone Star State and
Texans,
> > who commonly refer to it as "a bowl of red," consider it a crime to add
> > beans to the mixture. In many parts of the country, however, beans are
> > requisite and the dish is called "chili con carne with beans."
> >

> Interesting. Untrue but interesting. Thanks.
>
> --
> Curtis

You may just be too young - times they do change. That's why history is
recorded.

Dimitri

Paul McQuown

Jul 23, 2001, 5:46:08 PM7/23/01
In Texas, it was called a "Bowl of Red" lots of the time.
We weren't sure if it reffered to the tomatoes sometimes added to the chili,
or the red peppers usually added. I vote for the peppers. In the old days
there was NO refridgeration at all and the meat may have been jerked, salted
or just plain fresh. Meat that was not too well preserved might have spoiled
a tad, and needed the power of the chili to make it edible. <grin> Boiling
the mixture tended to sterilize the stuff...
"Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Randy Franek

Jul 23, 2001, 5:52:44 PM7/23/01
In article <CQ077.4531$UB6.3...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>, "Paul McQuown" <pmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>In Texas, it was called a "Bowl of Red" lots of the time.

[snipped]

A Bowl of Red
by Frank X. Tolbert, Hallie Stillwell (Paperback - September
1994)

Puester

Jul 23, 2001, 6:04:11 PM7/23/01
The Reids wrote:

> Have I been conned by you lot over the Atlantic?
> I spoke to a Texan lady yesterday, on the phone, for real!
> To make polite conversation I mentioned the "bowl of red" which I
> understood to be the Texan national dish, she had never head of it!
> Whats going on?
> --
> Mike Reid

I suspect she doesn't get out much. (If you'd called it
"chili" instead, she might have caught on.... not all
of "us" use the same slang terms for everything.)

gloria p

Dimitri

Jul 23, 2001, 6:36:28 PM7/23/01

> In article <9ji6b6$k0h$1...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, Randy Franek

> <fra...@ponymail.com> wrote:
>

> > A Bowl of Red
> > by Frank X. Tolbert, Hallie Stillwell (Paperback -
September

> "War And Peace" by Leo Tolstoy

Just in case you're as stupid as you post = the book is about Chili and its'
history.

Dimitri

Michael Odom

Jul 23, 2001, 8:38:47 PM7/23/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:52:44 GMT, fra...@ponymail.com (Randy Franek)
wrote:

This was my source, too. It's an amusing book, though his pedigree as
a Dallas newsman might make reading him in fort Worth something of a
crime.

Michael Odom

Jul 23, 2001, 8:49:55 PM7/23/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:14:50 GMT, Curtis <Cur...@none.fake> wrote:

>In article <9ji6b6$k0h$1...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, Randy Franek
><fra...@ponymail.com> wrote:
>

>> A Bowl of Red
>> by Frank X. Tolbert, Hallie Stillwell (Paperback - September
>

>"War And Peace" by Leo Tolstoy

A Confereracy of Dunces
by John Kenedy Toole

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802130208/qid=995928489/sr=2-1/104-8936316-2379105

Dimitri

Jul 23, 2001, 7:09:33 PM7/23/01

"Michael Odom" <mo...@CowHill.nueces> wrote in message

OK this one's a surprise :-)

Dimitri

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786864133/qid=995929660/sr=2-1/102-8
792527-0489706

Michael Odom

Jul 23, 2001, 9:30:56 PM7/23/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:09:33 GMT, "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>OK this one's a surprise :-)
>
>Dimitri
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786864133/qid=995929660/sr=2-1/102-8
>792527-0489706

Very funny! Thanks.

OBFood: Eggplant with lemon, tasso, and basil for dinner tonight.
Donna's stuffing little baby aubergines with thin slices of the above,
drizzling with olive oil, and roasting them.

M.Odom is at modom at koyote dot com

"It serve you right to suffer."
-- John Lee Hooker

Michael Odom

Jul 23, 2001, 9:32:10 PM7/23/01
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:20:44 GMT, Curtis <Cur...@none.fake> wrote:

>"Wisdom of the Idiots"
>
>by Idries Shah

That's the spirit!

OBFood: I'm going to slice a passel of mangoes right now.

M. Smith

Jul 23, 2001, 7:48:05 PM7/23/01

"Curtis" <Cur...@none.fake> wrote in message
> In article <uU_67.7203$sS.130...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
> Dimitri <Dimi...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
> > 1. No you have not been conned. go here:
> > http://www.virtualtexan.com/food/chili/redchi.htm
>
> Hmmm. I have lived in Fort Worth for 50 years. I have never heard of
> chili referred to as a "bowl of red". For one thing, it's ambiguous.
> Red beans are a favorite around here and that's what comes to mind as
> much as anything else. For another, chili prepared properly is not red.
> Tomatoes are not used in chili. Chili is brown.
<snip>

Hey, as a Texas-born person who no longer lives there (but has been a
frequent visitor back to DFW, Houston and El Paso) - Texas is a big place!

I've heard the term "bowl of red" used many times on trips there. Like most
areas, food terminology can change quickly and dramatically by just changing
the social class involved or driving a few miles.

In St. Louis they have an open-faced ham & turkey sandwich with cheese sauce
called a "Prosperity Sandwich." Drive about 100 miles to the northeast and
it becomes a "Horseshoe." Drive toward the southeast and it becomes a "Hot
Brown."

Probably the same type of situation for "red."

GaryO

Jul 23, 2001, 8:32:03 PM7/23/01
Puester <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3B5CA062...@worldnet.att.net>...

It's entirely possible that the response is the same as many give an
outsider who inqures about local slang. Have a non-surfer approach a
surfer and immediately "hang ten", etc. A non-Black approaching a
Black person and going into a "jive talkin'" routine...

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

The Reids

Jul 24, 2001, 3:18:22 AM7/24/01
Following up to Curtis <Cur...@none.fake>

>Truly, people separated by a common language. Trying to communicate
>chili nuances with a Yankee would be bad enough. A Brit would need an
>interpreter and a seeing eye dog.

Well, not really Curtis, its not rocket science. Explaing would
probably help!

so "chili con carne" would be used here in Europe and elsewhere where
chili would just mean chilli and the dish has evolved (as always) in a
different direction and is served with rice and there would be as much
objection to leaving out beans that some Texans might object to
putting them in.

"chili" would be sufficient in Texas, where the missing "i" would be
noticed.

"Cinncinatti" denotes pasta

so far so good!

So is there percieved to be any diiference between "a bowl of red" and
"a chile" (in Texas)?

The Reids

Jul 24, 2001, 3:18:23 AM7/24/01
Following up to Michael Odom <mo...@CowHill.nueces>

>This is my fault, I fear. We had a discussion about chili some time
>back, and I introduced him to the expression. However, the contextual
>uses and limitations of the term "a bowl of red"

You have a good memory, sir!

(BTW I used "a" in the conversation, the "the" crept in due to
deference to a national dish ) I should have said the "a bowl of red"
perhaps :-)

PS

The Reids

Jul 24, 2001, 3:18:23 AM7/24/01
Following up to "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>

>There are several possibilities:
>
>1. No you have not been conned. go here:
>http://www.virtualtexan.com/food/chili/redchi.htm

I have found references in a couple of UK books.

>2. although the "lady" lives in Texas she may not be a native.

think she was

>3. She may be a "lady" from the upper crust in which case she may not
>have been exposed to that side of the Texas lifestyle.

would I be speaking to anybody else? :-)

>4. She may have been "having you on a bit"

dont think so

>5. Your reference may have been so out of place she may have been trying
>to put the "bowl of red" into a UK context.

yes

>6. She could just be a (I'm gonna get killed for this I know) Texas
>Blond.

She is blonde IIRC, but do I detect "Texas" adds something perjerative
to a simple description? Here the equivalent may be "Essex girl".

I'll go with unexpected usage being the expanation, shes probably
sitting there now, thinking "oh, THAT bowl o' red, he wasnt talking
about paint".
Accent probably didnt help, and alcohol, you people keep such funny
hours :-)
--
Mike Reid
"Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are".Brillat-Savarin

The Reids

Jul 24, 2001, 9:55:49 AM7/24/01
Following up to j.p.patches <oddj...@lycos.com>

>Any true Texan can tell you right away where he gets his favorite "bowl
>of red"... trust me on this! You make the recipe below of Texas Red for
>your UK friends and you'll be ridin high in the saddle..trust me again!

I'll do it for my friend who has just returned from Texas! Would you
be upset if I added more cumin?

Dare you to serve English Chili Con Carne to your Texas friends

Onion, garlic
Ground beef
chilli
cumin
oregano
red kidney beans
more cumin

Now, please get off your horse and sit down somewhere safe.....
.
.
.
.
..
serve with rice <runs for cover>.

Arri London

Jul 24, 2001, 10:51:24 AM7/24/01
The Reids wrote:

> Following up to "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
>
> >There are several possibilities:
> >
> >1. No you have not been conned. go here:
> >http://www.virtualtexan.com/food/chili/redchi.htm
>
> I have found references in a couple of UK books.
>
> >2. although the "lady" lives in Texas she may not be a native.
>
> think she was
>
> >3. She may be a "lady" from the upper crust in which case she may not
> >have been exposed to that side of the Texas lifestyle.
>
> would I be speaking to anybody else? :-)
>
> >4. She may have been "having you on a bit"
>
> dont think so
>
> >5. Your reference may have been so out of place she may have been trying
> >to put the "bowl of red" into a UK context.
>
> yes
>
> >6. She could just be a (I'm gonna get killed for this I know) Texas
> >Blond.
>
> She is blonde IIRC, but do I detect "Texas" adds something perjerative
> to a simple description? Here the equivalent may be "Essex girl".

LOL but that depends on where one lives. Here in NM, 'Texan'
is frequently used as a perjorative. However, often it is
the 'blonde' that is the pejorative term. And there is no
true equivalent to the 'Essex girl' or 'Essex man.'

The Joneses

Jul 24, 2001, 5:40:02 PM7/24/01
YeeeeHawww, the real stuff. And no beans. All it needs is to cook over an
open fire and some the ashes to fall in and for us not to catch any fish, the
weather turn a little chilly and for us to be real real hongry.
Alternatively, turn the Air Conditioning to a low temperature, and burn that
there mesquite incense (yes, I have some).
Love y'all,
Edrena in El Paso

"j.p.patches" wrote:

> [...]

> your UK friends and you'll be ridin high in the saddle..trust me again!

> :)
>
> Bowl of Texas Red
>
> 1 boneless chuck roast, about 2 pounds, cut into 1-inch cubes
> 1 cup Masa Harina (cornflour)
> 4 tablespoon ground Anaheim chile (or substitute chili powder)
> 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1 pound ground pork (about 15% fat)
> 1 chopped green bell pepper
> 1 chopped onion
> 1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
> 1 can (14.5 oz.) beef broth
> 1 can (4 oz.) Ortega Diced Green Chiles
> 2 tablespoons Ortega Diced Jalapeno (optional, or to taste)
> 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin (I like to grind whole cumin seeds myself for
> this recipe)
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
>
> In a large bowl combine the Masa Harina with 1 tablespoon of the ground
> chile. Dredge the cubed
> beef in this mixture. Heat the oil in a large skillet and brown the meat
> in it. If there is any oil left
> around the meat sprinkle some of the Masa mixture on it to absorb the
> oil. Place the meat in a
> Dutch oven. In the skillet start to brown the ground pork, add the bell
> pepper and onion. Cook
> until the pork turns grey, add to the Dutch oven. Add all of the
> remaining ingredients (including
> the remaining 3 tablespoons of ground chile) to the Dutch oven. Cover and
> bake in a 275 degree
> oven for 5-7 hours. Check occasionally and add a little water if it needs
> it. If it isn't thick enough
> when it is done combine 2 tablespoons of the Masa mixture with a 1/4 cup
> of water. Place the
> Dutch oven on the stove and stir in the mixture, cook uncovered over
> medium heat until thick, this
> should just take a few minutes. And don't forget to make a batch of
> jalapeno cornbread to sop up the fix'in's! ya buddy :=)
>
> 3 oz Sharp cheddar cheese
> 2 md Jalapeno peppers
> 8 1/2 oz Cream-style corn (1 can)
> 1 c Yellow cornmeal
> 3 Eggs
> 1 ts Salt
> 1/2 ts Baking soda
> 3/4 c Buttermilk
> 1/2 c Corn oil
> 2 tb Butter
>
> PREPARATION: Adjust oven rack to center position;
> heat oven to 400F. Grate cheese (1 cup) and mince
> jalapeno peppers (1/4 cup). In a mixing bowl, combine
> corn, cornmeal, egggs, salt, baking soda, buttermilk,
> oil, 1/2 cup cheese and peppers.
>
> COOKING: Put butter in a 1 1/2 quart casserole or
> 9-inch oven-proof frying pan; heat in oven until
> butter is hot. Pour cornbread mixture into the pan
> and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until

Paul McQuown

Jul 24, 2001, 5:56:58 PM7/24/01

"Puester" <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Not all of 'us'? Bullshit, a universal Texan word...only a native born Texan
with a decent education would be able to conjure up the term 'a bowl of the
red'. Where were you born? Then where did you move to, to be able to forget
such a great heritage?
Paul
Yankee by birth, TEXAN by naturalization!

Brian B. Rodenborn

Jul 24, 2001, 5:54:26 PM7/24/01
In article <3B5DEB32...@swbell.net>,
The Joneses <famj...@swbell.net> wrote:

[ recipe snipped ]

Ok, we're swapping chili recipes now! Here's mine (repost from earlier
this year, after the chili cookoff at the office):

Smoky Red

Ingredients:

3lb. chuck roast
6 dried ancho chiles
6 dried chipotle chiles
1 15oz can diced tomatoes[1]
1 can beef broth
1lb package small red beans[2]
1 bulb garlic
ground black pepper
ground red pepper
ground cumin
ground coriander
Vegetable oil

Directions (actual steps I followed):

1. Coat the chuck roast with black pepper and salt on both sides. Slow smoke
for about 4 hours (I used offset cooking in the weber with oak chips).
Keep an eye on it out the window while watching the SLU/Mizzou game (sports
event optional) refreshing wood chips as needed.

2. Bring in the chuck roast, and immediately eat several pieces, because
it tastes really good. Wrap the rest and put it in the refrigerator to cool.

3. Next day, take the roast out of the fridge. Eat a few more chunks, because
it's good cold too. Trim the bigger pieces of fat, and chop those small.
Cut the rest into 3/4 inch pieces.

4. Heat a heavy dutch oven, and puddle in some oil. Throw in the minced fat,
and render that down. Add in the rest of the meat, and brown it up a bit.
Unwrap all those damn garlic cloves, chop them in the minichopper, then add
to meat and cook for a bit.

5. Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil. Throw in some salt, black pepper,
cumin, red pepper. Simmer for a few hours. Let cool, then put in the reefer.

6. Next day, reconsitute the dried chiles with boiling water. Let sit while
watching Raymond and Becker (TV shows optional).

7. Stem and seed the chiles. Using some of the water, puree the chiles.
Add the puree to the meat mixture, bring back to a simmer. Cook uncovered
until the chili thickens up nicely.

8. Soak beans according to package directions. Drain, and cook ATPD, but
use the remaining chile water as part of the cooking liquid.

9. Add beans to chili. Freshen up all the spices, including ground coriander
this time (I didn't have much left, so it only went in the last go round).
Eat a bunch while "testing". When satisfied, cook at very low heat while
watching Letterman (Koppel is ok, if you're inclined to watch Leno skip
this recipe and just make canned chili).

10. Back into the refrigerator for another 10 hours of curing.

11. Take to work. Marvel at the wimps who can't handle it.

[1] Yes, I know some of the purists don't like tomatoes in chili.
[2] Yeah, yeah, I've heard from you no-bean fanatics. This is the midwest,
we put beans in chili. Deal with it.

--
A program should follow the `Law of Least Astonishment'. What is this law? It
is simply that the program should always respond to the user in the way that

T&L Mazzaccaro

Jul 24, 2001, 7:21:13 PM7/24/01

Lone Star social etiquette demands one *never* asks a new acquaintance
if they're Texan. First if they *are* you will be told in the first two
minutes of the conversation, and second, if they're *not* it's
considered rude to embarrass someone you have just met.

Tony

The Reids

Jul 25, 2001, 2:32:08 AM7/25/01
Following up to The Reids <gilla...@mcmail.com>

>Have I been conned by you lot over the Atlantic?

mystery solved!

The lady in question rang my friend back to say she spoke to a man who
runs a barbecue in Austin who was amazed she hadn't heard the
expression.
"So what?" I hear you say. But she also said <whisper> that she's...
er...a... er.....semi-vegetarian. I thought "Texan" and "veggie" would
be mutually exclusive :-)
So at the time I was pretty much the only person in London who knew
what it was and she was the only person in Texas who didnt!

blake murphy

Jul 25, 2001, 3:34:36 AM7/25/01
wrote:

>In article <CQ077.4531$UB6.3...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>, "Paul McQuown" <pmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

i believe h. allen smith, another chile/chilihead, refers also to 'a
bowl of red.' perhaps the o.p. is young and therefore foolish.

your pal,
blake

The Reids

Jul 25, 2001, 4:26:45 AM7/25/01
Following up to Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

>And there is no true equivalent to the 'Essex girl' or 'Essex man.'

this is true!

<PC poor taste and bad/old joke warnings>

what does an Essex girl use for sexual protection?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
a bus shelter

<sorry anybody from Essex, only joking, I know the people are nice>

The Reids

Jul 25, 2001, 4:26:45 AM7/25/01
Following up to T&L Mazzaccaro <hyr...@shore.intercom.net>

> First if they *are* you will be told in the first two
>minutes of the conversation,

You mean you cant tell a Texan just by looking at them?

Arri London

Jul 25, 2001, 3:34:23 PM7/25/01

LOL! Actually there is a chap around here who looks very
much the 'Essex Man'. He walks past the house every morning
in a tri-coloured shell suit and trainers, and sometimes a
cap. Can't see if he has the gold chain though...

MH

Jul 25, 2001, 11:24:50 PM7/25/01
Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message

> The Reids wrote:
> >
> > a bus shelter
> >
> > <sorry anybody from Essex, only joking, I know the people are nice>
> > --
> > Mike Reid
> > "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" Dalai lama
> > My favourite cookery books at "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/ebooks2.htm"

I take it being from Essex is a bit like being from "The Valley" here. : )

MH

Jul 25, 2001, 11:35:32 PM7/25/01
> The Reids wrote:
> >
> > a bus shelter
> >
> > <sorry anybody from Essex, only joking, I know the people are nice>
> > --
> > Mike Reid
> > "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon" Dalai lama
> > My favourite cookery books at "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/ebooks2.htm"

I take it being from Essex is a bit like being from "The Valley" here. : )

The Reids

Jul 26, 2001, 4:18:37 AM7/26/01
Following up to "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>

>I take it being from Essex is a bit like being from "The Valley" here. : )

It is only a stereotype of course, when I walked the Essex Way I found
the people very friendly.

The stereotype goes a bit like this:-

Right wing politics, works in City of London, parents were market
traders, he is futures trader. Drives white Mercedes with flashy body
kit.
Wears suit with bright tie and red braces, shell suit when relaxing.

She wears denim with red or white stilettos, drives pink or white Ford
convertible, overdressed, over coiffured.

Loads of money but not too much taste. :-)

Getting OT here, oh, they are fairly traditional in eating habits.

Arri London

Jul 26, 2001, 10:07:44 AM7/26/01

Not quite. One could never mistake a 'Valley Girl' for an
'Essex Girl'.

mr_potter

Jul 26, 2001, 11:43:29 AM7/26/01
In article <9mjvltsc27f1l7m80...@4ax.com>, The Reids says...

>Following up to "MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net>
>
>>I take it being from Essex is a bit like being from "The Valley" here. : )
>
>It is only a stereotype of course, when I walked the Essex Way I found
>the people very friendly.
>
>The stereotype goes a bit like this:-
>
>Right wing politics, works in City of London, parents were market
>traders, he is futures trader. Drives white Mercedes with flashy body
>kit.
>Wears suit with bright tie and red braces, shell suit when relaxing.
>
>She wears denim with red or white stilettos, drives pink or white Ford
>convertible, overdressed, over coiffured.
>
>Loads of money but not too much taste. :-)

Hmmm...they'd be right at home in Texas....

--
Best
Greg

gregorymorrowatmsndotcom

Arthur Simon

Jul 26, 2001, 4:55:11 PM7/26/01
Arri London wrote:

> MH wrote:

[snip]

> > I take it being from Essex is a bit like being from "The Valley" here. : )
> >

> [more snips]

> Not quite. One could never mistake a 'Valley Girl' for an
> 'Essex Girl'.

Erm: I think someone switched bases of reference? In Texas, where
a bowl of red is revered, 'the Valley" does not refer to other than
the "Rio Grande Valley", which is the border between Texas and
Mexico. It's known for its citrus crops, including the mighty
"Ruby Red" grapefruit, replete with sweetness and an intensely pink
meat.

The term "Valley girl"? Strictly California, of which the author respondeth
not further for lack of offending. <G>

FYI: "the Valley" actually is no Valley. It's flat as a pool table out there.
Also, sometimes there's no river, either, depending on the weather.
Often, sneaking into Texas from Mexico means a short wade. Just
roll up your pant legs and carry your shoes.

Art

Michael Odom

Jul 26, 2001, 7:37:28 PM7/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:43:29 GMT, mr_potter <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

Yep, sounds like a whole lot of North Dallas, just substitute an SUV
for the convertible.

Guinness Mann

Jul 30, 2001, 3:48:14 PM7/30/01
In article <86drltg6m2baa78rt...@4ax.com>,
gilla...@mcmail.com says...

> So at the time I was pretty much the only person in London who knew
> what it was and she was the only person in Texas who didnt!

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the "bowl of red" is
called that to distinguish it from a "bowl of green," which is not
nearly so popular among the Texans.

In New Mexico, however, when you talk chili, you're talking *green*
chili, and that is good eats.

Note that the base terms are "chili rojo" and "chili verde."

-- Guinness

Arri London

Aug 1, 2001, 9:54:39 AM8/1/01

The most asked question in New Mexico is: Red or green?

MH

Aug 20, 2001, 9:44:46 AM8/20/01
> The term "Valley girl"? Strictly California, of which the author
respondeth
> not further for lack of offending. <G>
>
> FYI: "the Valley" actually is no Valley. It's flat as a pool table out
there.
> Also, sometimes there's no river, either, depending on the weather.
> Often, sneaking into Texas from Mexico means a short wade. Just
> roll up your pant legs and carry your shoes.
>
> Art

No, the author did not respond, for I was out of the country and only
returned yesterday. : )

I know nothing about Texas, I was referring to the term "Valley Girl" which
was a popular term in the 80s referring to ditzy girls from the valley area
of Los Angeles. I was wondering if it was the same as the term "Essax Girl",
which someone from the UK replied it was not.