Good Morning Charlie

1 view

hahabogus

Mar 22, 2002, 7:18:07 AM3/22/02
Here's 2 nice beer recipes for ya. (Don't tell Harry)!

BLACK AMBER ALE SOUP

I collected this recipe from Klaus Wockinger, the chef in charge of the
casual restaurant at Big Rock Brewery. It appears in my new book High
Plains: The Joy of Alberta Cuisine
(Fifth House) along with other recipes using beer like Beef and Big Rock
and Beef Shortribs with Port and Ale Sauce.

1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/3 cup butter 75 ml
1/2 cup flour 125 ml
4 cups chicken stock 1 L
1 cup whipping cream 250 ml
1 cup Black Amber ale (or substitute your favorite dark beer)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. In a food processor, combine the onion, carrot and celery and
process until finely chopped.
2. Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add
the minced vegetables and saute for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the flour
and cook for another minute or two.
3. Slowly whisk in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring
constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
4. Add the cream and beer and heat through. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Serves 4-6.

BEEF AND BIG ROCK

In my opinion, Big Rock (Calgary's famous microbrewery) is synonymous with
beer and in this recipe I would use their dark, Traditional Ale. You can
use
your own favourite dark ale. This stew is even better the next day, when
the
flavours have had a chance to meld and soften.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil 25 ml
2 pounds round steak, in cubes 1 kg
3 large white onions, thinly sliced 3
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
2-3 tablespoons flour 25 –45 ml
1/2 teaspoon salt 2 ml
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 ml
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme 5 ml
1 bay leaf, crumbled 1
1 bottle beer 1
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar 45 ml
2 tablespoons tomato paste 25 ml
1 pound baby potatoes, halved if large and steamed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 50 ml

1. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat and sear the
beef in batches until nicely browned. Remove beef and set aside. Add
the onion and garlic and cook 10-15 minutes longer, until onions are
nicely browned. Return the beef to the pot.
2. Stir the flour into the pan juices, season with salt, pepper,
thyme and bay leaf. Add the beer, sugar and tomato paste and stir
well.
3. Bring stew to a simmer on top of the stove, then cover and bake
in a 325*F oven 2 hours. Remove from oven and simmer a little longer
with the lid off if necessary to thicken the sauce. Stir in the
steamed potatoes (or serve around the stew) and sprinkle with fresh
parsley. Serves 6.

SPICY CHICKEN AND BEER STEW

This is a wonderful, spicy chicken stew that's a family favourite. From The
Wild West Cookbook by Cinda Chavich (Robert Rose).

1 tablespoon salt 15 ml
1 tablespoon garlic powder 15 ml
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper 15 ml
4-5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs 2-2.2 kg
2/3 cup all-purpose flour 150 ml
1/4 cup canola oil 50 ml
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cups canned tomatoes, pureed until smooth in the food processor
500 ml 1 bottle (12 oz./341 ml) dark beer
1/2 cup chicken stock 125 ml
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 15 ml
2 teaspoons dried marjoram 10 ml
2 bay leaves
pepper to taste
cooked rice as an accompaniment

1. In a small bowl, stir together salt, garlic powder and cayenne
pepper. Rub chicken all over with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture
and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. In a zippered plastic bag, combine flour with 1 tablespoon of
the spice mixture and shake the chicken pieces in the spiced flour
to coat. Reserve any excess spiced flour.
In a large Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium high heat. In
batches, cook chicken for 5 minutes or until browned. Set chicken
aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add reserved spiced flour to accumulated
fat and oil in the pan. Add and extra 1 tablespoon of canola oil if
necessary to create a smooth, creamy roux. Cook mixture, stirring
constantly, for 10 minutes until dark brown, the colour of peanut
butter. Stir in onion, celery, garlic, peppers and jalapenos; cook
for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining spice mixture, tomatoes, beer,
Worcestershire, marjoram and bay leaves.
4. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low,
cover and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked
through, adding stock if the stew seems too thick. Season to taste
with pepper. Serve over rice. Serves 8-10.

The Hackett Family

Mar 22, 2002, 12:14:14 PM3/22/02
Wow! These sound wonderful.

I kept looking for the cheese for the first one, though... it looks so much
like a good beer-cheese soup recipe..

Thanks for posting.

--
Cyndi
"hahabogus" <n...@applicable.com.invalid> wrote in message

Alan Zelt

Mar 22, 2002, 7:54:39 PM3/22/02
hahabogus wrote:

> Here's 2 nice beer recipes for ya. (Don't tell Harry)!
>
> BLACK AMBER ALE SOUP
>
> I collected this recipe from Klaus Wockinger, the chef in charge of the
> casual restaurant at Big Rock Brewery. It appears in my new book High
> Plains: The Joy of Alberta Cuisine
> (Fifth House) along with other recipes using beer like Beef and Big Rock
> and Beef Shortribs with Port and Ale Sauce.

Hey Alan, don't they have a Flat Plain: The Pain of Manitoba Cuisine?
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Harry Demidavicius

Mar 23, 2002, 8:11:13 PM3/23/02
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:18:07 GMT, hahabogus
<n...@applicable.com.invalid> wrote:

>Here's 2 nice beer recipes for ya. (Don't tell Harry)!

Yo! Bogus! - don't forget I can pop down to the brewery for lunch, eh?
BTW, I have Klaus' book on preparing game. [He's a hunter]. It
translates well into domestic stuff. He was the 2nd chef to work at
La Chaumiere, a classical French restaurant in Calgary. He left to
start a place with the incredible name of "Gobblers" on a commercial
main drag in South Calgary. [All "healthy" type foods and the main -
only - staple meat was turkey]. Mercifully it folded before we ran
out of excuses to go there. He dropped from sight but reappeared as
the "visiting chef" at the Big Rock brewery. He's a nice person, an
excellent chef, and a crappy business man.
Harry

hahabogus

Mar 23, 2002, 10:08:09 PM3/23/02
Harry Demidavicius <har...@shaw.ca> wrote in

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:18:07 GMT, hahabogus
><n...@applicable.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Here's 2 nice beer recipes for ya. (Don't tell Harry)!
>
> Yo! Bogus! - don't forget I can pop down to the brewery for lunch, eh?
> BTW, I have Klaus' book on preparing game. [He's a hunter]. It
> translates well into domestic stuff. He was the 2nd chef to work at
> La Chaumiere, a classical French restaurant in Calgary. He left to
> start a place with the incredible name of "Gobblers" on a commercial
> main drag in South Calgary. [All "healthy" type foods and the main -
> only - staple meat was turkey]. Mercifully it folded before we ran
> out of excuses to go there. He dropped from sight but reappeared as
> the "visiting chef" at the Big Rock brewery. He's a nice person, an
> excellent chef, and a crappy business man.
> Harry

OK! Who Told!....Charlie was it you?

C. L. Gifford

Mar 24, 2002, 4:29:35 AM3/24/02

"hahabogus" <n...@applicable.com.invalid> wrote in message

Not this Charlie! Harry has an extensive net of agents. Well
known in the culinary underground.

Charlie

C. L. Gifford

Mar 24, 2002, 4:36:04 AM3/24/02

"hahabogus" <n...@applicable.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Here's 2 nice beer recipes for ya. (Don't tell Harry)!

Nice group of recipies! I love to drink my beer and eat it
too.

> BLACK AMBER ALE SOUP

This will be on the menu in the next couple of weeks! Thanks!

Charlie

Harry Demidavicius

Mar 25, 2002, 1:09:00 AM3/25/02
On 24 Mar 2002 09:36:04 GMT, "C. L. Gifford" <sa...@concentric.net>
wrote:

Please send me $50.00 for the licence to use this recipe. I'm the
bagman - erm - "treasurer". It's all on the up-and-up. We are
audited and advised by Arthur Anderson.
Harry

C. L. Gifford

Mar 26, 2002, 5:00:05 AM3/26/02

"Harry Demidavicius" <har...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Please send me $50.00 for the licence to use this recipe.
I'm the
> bagman - erm - "treasurer". It's all on the up-and-up. We
are
> audited and advised by Arthur Anderson.
> Harry

Are Canadian dollars ok?

Charlie

Alan Zelt

Mar 26, 2002, 8:24:09 PM3/26/02

Whoa there Charlie!!!!! You may be stirring up in murky waters now!!! :)

Harry Demidavicius

Mar 27, 2002, 12:31:50 AM3/27/02
On 26 Mar 2002 10:00:05 GMT, "C. L. Gifford" <sa...@concentric.net>
wrote: