REQ: That Maryland Crab Cake

Arthur Simon

Aug 3, 2001, 3:12:35 PM8/3/01
OK, guys....

Yesterday Llanite and I were out pricing goods to complete our
insurance claim for
home contents, and decided to lunch (v. intran.). Hit a local
seafood chain, and
saw "Maryland-style" crab cakes as an appetizer. Two , bout the
size of smooshed
tennis balls, finished in what appeared to be bread crumbs,
topped with what
looked like paper thin linguini, pico de gallo {!!!} and a light
sauce that seemed to
contain white wine, cheese, and a bit of cayenne.

Never having eaten the "real" thing, I have no basis for
comparison. Word is that
Maryland Crab Cakes are the best going. Our crab thingies down
here have a flavor
redolent of Cajun, Creole and Galveston flavorings. What makes a
*real* Maryland
Crab cake real?

Any ideas on what the sauce might be? Or is this a chef's w*t
dream? I must admit,
it *was* tasty. The pico de gallo is obviously a local
idiosyncracy.

Just got back from the HongKong Supermarket, and brought back a
pound of frozen
lump crab.... my mission? If I consent to accept it, "To attempt
crab cakes".

Any guidance from you who live and dine in Balmer and environs,
I'd appreciate
your sage advice.

Listening, Maryf?

Art & Vicki

hwc

Aug 3, 2001, 4:55:06 PM8/3/01

"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Never having eaten the "real" thing, I have no basis for
> comparison. Word is that
> Maryland Crab Cakes are the best going. Our crab thingies down
> here have a flavor
> redolent of Cajun, Creole and Galveston flavorings. What makes a
> *real* Maryland
> Crab cake real?

Maryland Crab Cakes are fairly simple: just a mixture of crab, egg, onion,
sometimes bell pepper, mayo, mustard, Worcester sauce, Old Bay Seasoning,
and a small amount of bread crumbs. They are often dusted in flour before
sauteeing.

Here's a classic recipe from the Maryland edition of Food Nation on Food TV:

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,12486,FF.html

I don't think there is really a standard sauce for Maryland crab cakes.
Often served just with squeezed lemon or tartar sauce. They are awfully good
with any number of sauces, however. Roasted red pepper sauce is really good.

Or here's my favorite crab cake recipe "BLUE CORN TORTILLA CRUSTED CRAB CAKE
IN SPICY CARROT-MANGO BROTH AND MANGO-GREEN ONION RELISH" that is just a
knockout both visually and tastewise:

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,13137,FF.html

BTW, I think crab cakes are one of the hardest dishes to cook properly.
There isn't much binding a good crab cake together and it's a challenge to
sautee them without them falling apart. Putting them in the fridge/freezer
after forming the patties helps. A good slotted fish spatula to delicately
flip them helps also. You have to let the first side develop a nice crust to
hold everything together before you turn them or even touch them in the
skillet.

Arthur Simon

Aug 3, 2001, 6:53:23 PM8/3/01
Thanks a bunch.....

I will approach this one with caution, I think.
When I was young, I could not stand the sweetness
of crabs, but as I age, I find them delightful.

Art - ready to cross the next horizon....

Jill McQuown

Aug 4, 2001, 12:33:29 AM8/4/01
"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> OK, guys....
>
> Yesterday Llanite and I were out pricing goods to complete our
> insurance claim for
> home contents, and decided to lunch (v. intran.). Hit a local
> seafood chain, and
> saw "Maryland-style" crab cakes as an appetizer. Two , bout the
> size of smooshed
> tennis balls, finished in what appeared to be bread crumbs,
> topped with what
> looked like paper thin linguini, pico de gallo {!!!}
(snipped)
> Art & Vicki

Okay ya'll. I've never lived in Maryland, but in South Carolina they do
appreciate the alleged "Maryland Crab Cake". First of all, you are correct
in that the Pico de Gallo is a fantasy of the chef; so is the linguini.
From all I've read, Maryland (and South Carolina) crab cakes are a simple
concoction.

Crab meat mixed with diced green onion, egg, mayonnaise, minced parsley,
Worcestershire sauce, crumbled bay leaf, dry mustard and a dash of salt and
cayenne pepper mixed into dry fresh bread crumbs. Form pattie cakes from
the mixture. Dust lightly with flour and brown the cakes in oil until brown
on both sides and serve with lemon and tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.

If you really wanted to, you could serve with linguini and pico de gallo on
top. But why?

Jill

Alan Zelt

Aug 4, 2001, 1:02:50 AM8/4/01
Jill McQuown wrote:

> Okay ya'll. I've never lived in Maryland, but in South Carolina they do
> appreciate the alleged "Maryland Crab Cake". First of all, you are correct
> in that the Pico de Gallo is a fantasy of the chef; so is the linguini.
> From all I've read, Maryland (and South Carolina) crab cakes are a simple
> concoction.
>
> Crab meat mixed with diced green onion, egg, mayonnaise, minced parsley,
> Worcestershire sauce, crumbled bay leaf, dry mustard and a dash of salt and
> cayenne pepper mixed into dry fresh bread crumbs. Form pattie cakes from
> the mixture. Dust lightly with flour and brown the cakes in oil until brown
> on both sides and serve with lemon and tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.
>
> If you really wanted to, you could serve with linguini and pico de gallo on
> top. But why?
>
> Jill

this one's a keeper.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes

Recipe By : Tom Kee, Food and Wine
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Dinner
Seafood Shellfish

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup minced onion
2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound lump crabmeat -- picked over
1 cup finely crushed soda crackers
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Lemon wedges -- for serving

MAKE AHEAD:
The crab cakes can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated
overnight.

1. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, eggs, Worcestershire
sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne. Fold in the crabmeat and 1/4 cup
of the cracker crumbs. Shape the mixture into 16 cakes about 1 inch
thick. Coat the crab cakes with the remaining cracker crumbs and
transfer to a baking sheet lined with wax paper.

2. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in 2 tablespoons
of the oil. When the foam subsides, add half of the crab cakes and cook
over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Drain the crab cakes on paper towels, then keep warm in a low oven.
Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of
oil and cook the remaining crab cakes. Serve with lemon wedges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Robert Duvall's love of crab cakes stems from his childhood in
Annapolis, Maryland, where crab is required eating. When he bought
The Rail Stop in The Plains, Virginia, he passed on his mother's
recipe and gave chef Tom Kee permission to update it. But Kee thought
the crab cakes were perfect just as they are.
WINE RECOMMENDATION:
All these cakes need is an oaky California Chardonnay, such as the 1997
Villa Mt. Eden Bien Nacido Signature Series or the 1997 San Saba
Monterey.

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"The pleasure of the table reigns among other pleasures, and it is
the last to console when others are lost."
--Brillat-Savarin

Regina Holt

Aug 4, 2001, 2:45:44 AM8/4/01
On the subject of Maryland crab cakes: folks in these here parts differ
on a lot of things, but we agree on the basics of genuine Maryland
crabcakes. Crabmeat (packed on Smith Island, MD is the best) , finely
chopped onion, finely chopped celery, salt, pepper, crushed saltines,
egg to bind. Old Bay seasoning, and if you want some heat a drop or
two of Tabasco. Gently shape into patties, dust with a bit of flour,
and let rest in the fridge for a spell.
The differences in recipes seems to be the proportions ofthese
ingredients. God as my judge, in my entire life I have never eaten a
genuine MD/Tidewater VA crabcake that has all the other ingredients
listed in recipes from folks from outside the DC/MD/Tidewater region.
Not meaning to be sarky with that remark, it is simply my experience .
Gina

Arthur Simon

Aug 4, 2001, 5:36:07 AM8/4/01
Jill, you give me the courage to try this thing.

And yes,why linguini, or pico de gallo?

I'll do it.

Art - girding his loins...preparing to make
crab cakes...

Arthur Simon

Aug 4, 2001, 5:41:42 AM8/4/01
Thank you dear.

This gives me the courage to go on.

I *will* make these. They are, after all, delicious.

Onward, through the crab cakes....

Art

sue...@erols.com

Aug 4, 2001, 8:07:27 AM8/4/01
On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 19:12:35 GMT, rec.food.cooking Arthur Simon
<aasi...@earthlink.net>wrote:

>OK, guys....

>Any ideas on what the sauce might be? Or is this a chef's w*t
>dream? I must admit,
>it *was* tasty. The pico de gallo is obviously a local
>idiosyncracy.
>
>Just got back from the HongKong Supermarket, and brought back a
>pound of frozen
>lump crab.... my mission? If I consent to accept it, "To attempt
>crab cakes".
>
>Any guidance from you who live and dine in Balmer and environs,
>I'd appreciate
>your sage advice.
>
>Listening, Maryf?
>
>Art & Vicki

Do you have Old Bay seasoning? If so, the one on the can is very good.
Most of my friends use that one.

We get so much crab meat in the summer, I make them all different ways.

Sue from Balmer.

Jill McQuown

Aug 4, 2001, 10:59:13 AM8/4/01
"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Well the chef had to do *something* to present the crab cakes ;-)

Jill

limey

Aug 4, 2001, 11:09:45 AM8/4/01

"Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message

> Jill McQuown wrote:
>

> this one's a keeper.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes

> 1/4 cup mayonnaise
> 1/4 cup minced onion
> 2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
> 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
> 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
> 1 pound lump crabmeat -- picked over
> 1 cup finely crushed soda crackers
> 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil
> Lemon wedges -- for serving
>

> NOTES : Robert Duvall's love of crab cakes stems from his childhood
in
> Annapolis, Maryland, where crab is required eating. > --
> alan

So right, Alan - crabs are required eating here. However - no
self-respecting Marylander or Annapolitan would use cayenne in place
of Old Bay seasoning! <G>. Also, day-old white bread (pulled into
small pieces) is often used in place of saltine crackers. If not made
well ahead of time, then the cakes should rest in the refrigerator for
about 30 minutes before frying or they will have a tendency to fall
apart; also, they need to be turned very carefully in the pan. I
usually dust them lightly with dry seasoned breadcrumbs also, to help
hold them together - some purists don't. Some prefer them broiled - I
like them good old Eastern Shore fried in butter.

- limey

Jill McQuown

Aug 4, 2001, 11:28:12 AM8/4/01
"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message

> "Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message
> > Jill McQuown wrote:
> >

> > this one's a keeper.
> >
> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes
(snip)

> So right, Alan - crabs are required eating here. However - no
> self-respecting Marylander or Annapolitan would use cayenne in place
> of Old Bay seasoning! <G>.
(snip)

like them good old Eastern Shore fried in butter.

> - limey

But you must allow for those places that don't have access to Old Bay
seasoning! I'm in a make-do area... and btw, "Old Bay" isn't much older
than I am so what did Marylanders do before that, hmmm? <G> I found this
substitute on the Web:

1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. celery seeds
1 Tbs. black peppercorns
6 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. whole cardamom seeds
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
4 whole cloves
1 tsp. sweet Hungarian paprika
1/4 tsp. ground mace

Grind all ingredients and store in a glass jar.

Jill

Rich & Rusty

Aug 4, 2001, 11:33:58 AM8/4/01
"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Never having eaten the "real" thing, I have no basis for
> comparison. Word is that
> Maryland Crab Cakes are the best going. Our crab thingies down
> here have a flavor
> redolent of Cajun, Creole and Galveston flavorings. What makes a
> *real* Maryland
> Crab cake real?

Old Bay Seasoning makes a Maryland Crab Cake real!!

Crab Cakes - Maryland

1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat
1 sweet red pepper -- finely diced
1 sweet yellow pepper -- finely diced
6 slices white bread -- crusts removed
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Old Bay brand seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Clean the crabmeat of all shell fragments without breaking or crumbling the
delicate lumps. Place the bread in a food processor and process until
finely crumbled. Measure and reserve 2 tbsps bread crumbs to use in the
filling. The remaining bread crumbs will be used to coat the crab cakes.
Mix the crabmeat with the sweet peppers, garlic and mayonnaise. Add Old
Bay, 2 tbsps bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well, refrigerate for 20
minutes. Cover a work surface with waxed paper sprinkled with the reserved
bread crumbs. Form 8 portions of crabmeat. With the palm of your hand pat
each portion into a cake approximately 3/4" thick. It is important for the
crab cakes to be the same thickness so that they will cook uniformly. Press
each cake into the bread crumbs, turning them so they coat evenly on all
sides. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to prevent them from crumbling
during cooking. No more than 1/2 hour before you plan to serve the crab
cakes, add enough oil to cover the bottom of an saute pan. Heat until just
before it begins to smoke. Add the crab cakes gently, being careful not to
crowd the pan. (Cook in two batches if necessary.) When the crab cakes are
well browned on both sides, place in a 375F oven for 6 minutes to ensure
that they are fully cooked and hot at the center. Serve with mesclun salad
and garnish with finely chopped tomato. Serves 8 as an appetizer; 4 as an
entree.

Arthur Simon

Aug 4, 2001, 12:06:04 PM8/4/01
Llanite now thinks the linguini was/were really tortilla shreds....

Huh? Well, with pico de gallo, who knows.... <sigh>

The cheese sauce was good, though.

Oh, Llanite reminds me.... there were mudbug tails in
the sauce....

It had not occurred to me that Maryland Crab Cakes
were a *religion*..... <G>

A-

limey

Aug 4, 2001, 1:05:42 PM8/4/01

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alan Zelt" <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote in message
> > > Jill McQuown wrote:
> > >

> > > this one's a keeper.
> > >
> > > * Exported from MasterCook *
> > >
> > > Mrs. Duvall's Crab Cakes
> (snip)
> > So right, Alan - crabs are required eating here. However - no
> > self-respecting Marylander or Annapolitan would use cayenne in
place
> > of Old Bay seasoning! <G>.
> (snip)
> like them good old Eastern Shore fried in butter.
> >
> > - limey
> >
> But you must allow for those places that don't have access to Old
Bay
> seasoning! I'm in a make-do area...

There's life outside Maryland? (laughing)

and btw, "Old Bay" isn't much older
> than I am so what did Marylanders do before that, hmmm? <G>

> Jill

But it saw its 37th birthday long, long ago! Before that, Marylanders
didn't know what they were missing. (I have to brag - it's a small
state and you know how that goes.)

- limey

limey

Aug 4, 2001, 1:08:22 PM8/4/01

"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

All to themselves.

- limey

limey

Aug 4, 2001, 1:11:26 PM8/4/01

"Rich & Rusty" <rlav...@erols.com> wrote in message

> "Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Never having eaten the "real" thing, I have no basis for
> > comparison. Word is that
> > Maryland Crab Cakes are the best going. Our crab thingies down
> > here have a flavor
> > redolent of Cajun, Creole and Galveston flavorings. What makes a
> > *real* Maryland
> > Crab cake real?
>
> Old Bay Seasoning makes a Maryland Crab Cake real!!
>
> Crab Cakes - Maryland

(recipe snipped)

You tell 'em, Rich & Rusty! Great recipe (but a lot of Old Bay?).

- limey

blake murphy

Aug 4, 2001, 9:16:21 PM8/4/01

no capers?

your pal,
blake

Rich & Rusty

Aug 4, 2001, 9:49:33 PM8/4/01

There is never too much Old Bay Seasoning!!! Never capers.

Rusty

hwc

Aug 5, 2001, 12:10:52 AM8/5/01

"Arthur Simon" <aasi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

You can do it.

Here are three critical steps:

a) form the crab cakes, put them on a cookie sheet, and shove them in the
freezer for half an hour before you fry them. If they are very cold and
firm, you'll have a better shot at keeping them intact.

b) When you put them in the hot sautee pan, DO NOT TOUCH THEM for several
minutes until they have formed a nice brown crust. That crust is what holds
the crab cake together when you try to flip them.

c) The best odds of flipping them is to use the corner of a spatula to just
lift one edge of the crab cake, turning it up on end, and then letting it
flip against a fork and lay it down on the other side. Picking the crab cake
up out of the skillet and flopping it down (like you would flip a hamburger)
is pretty much guaranteed to break it apart.

More bread or bread crumbs in the mixture will help bind it all together.
But, using less bread will make better crab cakes.

Arthur Simon

Aug 5, 2001, 1:18:02 AM8/5/01
Thanks, dear.

Dug out my can, and
ByGaw, there it was...

Seeking for that which was
under my eyes al the time...

I am abashed....

A - who *will* make these crab cakes..

Tonight? Pho Bo, laced with HB egg and
bacon and scallions.

And so to bed.

A -

Steve Fenwick

Aug 5, 2001, 1:56:30 AM8/5/01
In article <gH3b7.22589$bm5.8...@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
"hwc" <wcol...@media1.net> wrote:

> a) form the crab cakes, put them on a cookie sheet, and shove them in the
> freezer for half an hour before you fry them. If they are very cold and
> firm, you'll have a better shot at keeping them intact.
>
> b) When you put them in the hot sautee pan, DO NOT TOUCH THEM for several
> minutes until they have formed a nice brown crust. That crust is what holds
> the crab cake together when you try to flip them.
>
> c) The best odds of flipping them is to use the corner of a spatula to just
> lift one edge of the crab cake, turning it up on end, and then letting it
> flip against a fork and lay it down on the other side. Picking the crab cake
> up out of the skillet and flopping it down (like you would flip a hamburger)
> is pretty much guaranteed to break it apart.
>
> More bread or bread crumbs in the mixture will help bind it all together.
> But, using less bread will make better crab cakes.

Bread? In crab cakes? *Maryland* crab cakes?

No.

Also no Old Bay.

Steve

P.S. Okay, I'll allow that some folks, even some in Maryland, even some
on (*gasp*) the Eastern Shore, have been known to use bread and other
"fillers" to stretch out one's crab supply. But the pure crab cake is
*so* much better, just do that instead.

--
Steve Fenwick ab...@w0x0f.com

hwc

Aug 5, 2001, 12:32:20 PM8/5/01

"Steve Fenwick" <ab...@w0x0f.com> wrote in message

> P.S. Okay, I'll allow that some folks, even some in Maryland, even some
> on (*gasp*) the Eastern Shore, have been known to use bread and other
> "fillers" to stretch out one's crab supply. But the pure crab cake is
> *so* much better, just do that instead.

I don't generally use bread in my crab cakes.

However, the thread was in response to someone looking to make crab cakes
for the first time. The reality is that crab cakes with no filler are
extremely difficult to handle. I would recommend adding a small amount of
fresh-made breadcrumbs (day old Italian or French bread in the food
processor) as a binder when making crab cakes for the first time. Just a
little bit - a half a cup or so -- will help tremendously in getting a crab
mixture that will hang together.

It's really frustrating (not to mention expensive) to be sailing along with
your first efforts at crab cakes and have them disintegrate into greasy crab
mush in the sautee pan. Make 'em a time or two with a little binder to get
comfortable with handling them and then make them without filler if you
like.

Young

Aug 5, 2001, 2:16:41 PM8/5/01
hwc wrote:

> However, the thread was in response to someone looking to make crab cakes
> for the first time. The reality is that crab cakes with no filler are
> extremely difficult to handle. I would recommend adding a small amount of
> fresh-made breadcrumbs (day old Italian or French bread in the food
> processor) as a binder when making crab cakes for the first time.

I'm asking once again, and I know no one has the answer.

Years ago I was fed a crab cake by someone whom I can no longer call.
Crab cakes that were crunchy. Not like burgers, if I can explain it
better, I'll try. Like shrimp toast. I'm not complaining about other
crab cakes, just I'd like that again. Recipe was from some famous place
in Baltimore (whouda thunk).

nancy

Steve Fenwick

Aug 5, 2001, 10:51:46 PM8/5/01
In article <3B6D8D...@mail.monmouth.com>,
Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

Ah, the "how do I get <X> like they had in <Y>" question.

In this case, I can't help you directly. However, you might try asking
on md.annapolis, md.eastern-shore, md.general, balt.general, or
balt.misc.

Best of luck, and please follow up here if you get an answer!

Steve

--
Steve Fenwick ab...@w0x0f.com

Steve Fenwick

Aug 5, 2001, 10:59:43 PM8/5/01
In article <abuse-6EFAEB....@nntp.concentric.net>,
Steve Fenwick <ab...@w0x0f.com> wrote:

Okay, skip the balt.* groups. Flame-rate there seems disproportionately
high...

Pat Fish1

Aug 6, 2001, 12:54:04 AM8/6/01
>Some prefer them broiled - I
>like them good old Eastern Shore fried in butter.
>
>- limey

They're okay broiled, change of pace. But ALWAYS Old Bay Seasoning. Any
recipe saying otherwise is not a genuine Merryland crab cake recipe.

Simple as that.

Pat Fish/Merryland

limey

Aug 6, 2001, 1:50:27 PM8/6/01

"Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

> hwc wrote:
>
> Years ago I was fed a crab cake by someone whom I can no longer
call.
> Crab cakes that were crunchy. Not like burgers, if I can explain it
> better, I'll try. Like shrimp toast. I'm not complaining about
other
> crab cakes, just I'd like that again. Recipe was from some famous
place
> in Baltimore (whouda thunk).
>
> nancy

Crab balls and crab fluffs are dipped in batter and deep fried. Maybe
some do their crabcakes the same way. That might explain it? Lots of
Maryland "seafood platters" have all deep fried assorted seafood.
C'mawn down, hon! (using her best Baltimore accent.)

- limey

Arthur Simon

Aug 7, 2001, 12:00:34 AM8/7/01
Young wrote:

> hwc wrote:
>
> > However, the thread was in response to someone looking to make crab cakes
> > for the first time. The reality is that crab cakes with no filler are

Yup, that's me.

Made them.

Burned myself.

Cakes fell apart.

Tasted great.

Used Old Bay.

Will try this again....

A - needing another mar2ni. Where's the damned aloe?

Sig: If you try and fail, give it up. No use making an ass of yourself.

hwc

Aug 9, 2001, 1:39:10 AM8/9/01

> Yup, that's me.
>
> Made them.
>
> Burned myself.
>
> Cakes fell apart.
>
> Tasted great.
>
> Used Old Bay.
>
> Will try this again....

Yep. Just keep trying. The first time I made crab cakes it ended up the
consistency of mush. The next six tries weren't much better. I almost gave
up -- my wife kept asking why in the world I wanted to try that again.

I finally got the hang of it. It's worth it.

sticks (pud)

Aug 16, 2001, 10:30:53 PM8/16/01
Darling brother of mine!!! Why didn't you just ask (me who
lives scant 25 minutes
from Balt-more HON).

MARYLAND CRAB CAKES
Serves 4

1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for cartiledge
1 egg
2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Little flour
3 tablespoon peanut oil or clarified butter (I
like butter)

1. In a large bowl, gently mix together all of the
ingredients except the oil. The mixture will be wet. Form
about 1/4 of the crab mixture for each cake. put flour on
hands and lightly pat cake all over (you want a little
dusting)

2. Heat peanut oil or clarified butter in a large
nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gently slide the cakes
off a spatula into the oil. Sauté until the crab cakes are
light golden brown and cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes
on each side (ymmv depending on heat of stove). Remove from
skillet, and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with butter
and lemon sauce.

another alternative, until you get knack of turning
them...put on cookie sheet, brushed with clarifed butter,
drizzle with butter, and bake at 400 for about 6 minutes or
so, but watch them... Thing is your crab is already cooked,
so you jut want to heat thru and cook the egg.

Then your final alternative, see if you can find Phillip's
premade crab cakes in the frozen food section of your store,
they are very good. And Phillips is one of the great crab
houses here on the eastern shore. Not sure if they go that
far west, but we certainly get them.

http://www.phillipsfoods.com/

--
Mary f. <No Kitty! it's MY POT PIE!>
_ _
It's a widdle,widdle, widdle pud (When I wake up, I'm gonna
get
a CAT scan, "the santa clause")
http://home.earthlink.net/~maryf

http://www.zyworld.com/annfan/Home.htm (for Redskin fans!)