Tried to go to Brunch

1 view

Jill McQuown

Jul 26, 2003, 5:34:08 PM7/26/03
Ray is in Little Rock (oh joy) so I'm left to celebrate my birthday on my
own. I tried to go out to brunch late this morning but apparently many
people are still without electricity. All the restaurants were packed, with
one to one and a half hour waits. No thank you! By noon I finally decided
to swing by a local fish & chips shop. Got some stuffed crab (yum!), fried
butterflied shrimp, chips and hush puppies. Could only eat half of it, so
leftovers for dinner tonight. Now that I have electricity again I can pop
it in the oven and heat it up no problem :)

Jill

lea

Jul 26, 2003, 10:05:07 PM7/26/03
Jill McQuown wrote:
> Ray is in Little Rock (oh joy) so I'm left to celebrate my birthday
> on my own. I tried to go out to brunch late this morning but
> apparently many people are still without electricity. All the
> restaurants were packed, with one to one and a half hour waits. No
> thank you! By noon I finally decided to swing by a local fish &
> chips shop. Got some stuffed crab (yum!), fried butterflied shrimp,
> chips and hush puppies.

In Australia, Hush Puppies are slipper-type shoes with rubber soles.
Popular with old folk.
Surely you weren't eating deepfried shoes ? :)

( what's a hush puppy, please ? )

jammer

Jul 26, 2003, 10:26:13 PM7/26/03

Here is a sight with a photograph. Mine dont usually look like this,
though.

jammer

Jul 26, 2003, 10:30:13 PM7/26/03
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:26:13 -0500, jammer <j...@mm.er> wrote:

>Here is a sight with a photograph. Mine dont usually look like this,
>though.

http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Hushpuppies.htm

lea

Jul 26, 2003, 11:36:57 PM7/26/03
jammer wrote:

>> Here is a sight with a photograph. Mine dont usually look like this,
>> though.
> http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Hushpuppies.htm

thanks.
Guess it's the bubbles of nothing that make it something - right ? :)

Jill McQuown

Jul 27, 2003, 2:25:21 AM7/27/03

There's a story down here in the Southern U.S. about Hush Puppies. Back in
the old South, men would go fishing along the banks of the Mississippi
River. And of course they never went fishing or hunting without their dogs.
As they were frying up the days' catch along the beach in a simple cornmeal
and water batter, the dogs would be whining, trying to get at the fish. So
they'd fry up some cornmeal batter and toss it to the dogs, calling "hush,
puppy!"

Hush Puppies

1 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 c. minced onion
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. minced Jalapeno pepper (optional)
or 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 beaten egg
1/4 - 1/2 c. buttermilk
oil for frying

Blend together dry ingredients. Stir in onion and (optionally jalapenos).
Add beaten egg, and gradually add buttermilk until a thick batter is formed
(hush puppy batter will be thick and a little lumpy). Drop teaspoonfuls
into hot deep fat; fry until golden brown. Hush puppies are done when they
float on top.

lea

Jul 27, 2003, 2:47:19 AM7/27/03

that recipe sure does sound nicer than the one on the link.
But unless someone else makes one for me, I guess i'll never know

Lea B
( She don't deepfry ;)

Bob Pastorio

Jul 27, 2003, 3:11:54 AM7/27/03
Jill McQuown wrote:

> Hush Puppies
>
> 1 c. yellow cornmeal
> 1/4 c. minced onion
> 3/4 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 2 tsp. baking powder
> 1 Tbs. minced Jalapeno pepper (optional)
> or 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
> 1 beaten egg
> 1/4 - 1/2 c. buttermilk
> oil for frying
>
> Blend together dry ingredients. Stir in onion and (optionally jalapenos).
> Add beaten egg, and gradually add buttermilk until a thick batter is formed
> (hush puppy batter will be thick and a little lumpy). Drop teaspoonfuls
> into hot deep fat; fry until golden brown. Hush puppies are done when they
> float on top.

Now imagine a yankee like me let loose in a kitchen in Virginia. I took
thick 6-inch skewers and molded a ball of cream cheese about an inch in
diameter up near one end (skewer stuck all the way through the cheese
ball so the batter would be able to grab the stick above and below the
ball). Froze it. Dipped the cheese ball into hush puppy batter (pretty
much like this one but with more egg. Also a bit more liquid, but
without the peppers) and fried it. A lot of the cream cheese melted into
the crust. Wonderful. Did the same with other cheeses and even did
frozen fruit; whole strawberries, frozen marmalade balls (messy but
tasty), chunks of cantaloupe and honeydew (no onion in the batter but
added a bit of sugar, cinnamon, ginger, clove). The watermelon was a
disaster - too wet and no flavor.

We made our plain hush puppies by squeezing the batter through a pastry
bag directly over the hot fat. I liked them that way because they were
uniformly thick so they cooked very evenly. Different tips gave
different results so we constantly surprised our customers with our
"Pups du Jour."

Pastorio

Jill McQuown

Jul 27, 2003, 3:21:19 AM7/27/03
Bob Pastorio wrote:
> Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Hush Puppies
(snip)

> Now imagine a yankee like me let loose in a kitchen in Virginia. I
> took thick 6-inch skewers and molded a ball of cream cheese about an
> inch in diameter up near one end (skewer stuck all the way through
> the cheese
> ball so the batter would be able to grab the stick above and below the
> ball). Froze it. Dipped the cheese ball into hush puppy batter (pretty
> much like this one but with more egg. Also a bit more liquid, but
> without the peppers) and fried it. A lot of the cream cheese melted
> into
> the crust. Wonderful.

Nuthin' wrong with fried cheese; we've been doing that down here for years,
too :)

> We made our plain hush puppies by squeezing the batter through a
> pastry
> bag directly over the hot fat. I liked them that way because they were
> uniformly thick so they cooked very evenly. Different tips gave
> different results so we constantly surprised our customers with our
> "Pups du Jour."
>
> Pastorio

Creative! I like that :) But I think I'll stick with a tablespoon.

Jill

lea

Jul 27, 2003, 4:00:52 AM7/27/03
augette wrote:
> le...@yeayea.com :
> Fillet of Sole ? :)

heh ;)

Rick & Cyndi

Jul 27, 2003, 4:07:00 AM7/27/03

"lea" <le...@yeayea.com> wrote in message
:
: ============

<giggle>

I was going to mention that it's really funny at 3:00 a.m.... but I
see that I'm not the only one to think that!

Rick & Cyndi

Jul 27, 2003, 4:08:18 AM7/27/03

"augette" <ma...@netlimit.com> wrote in message
: le...@yeayea.com :
:
:
:
: Like a deep fried dumpling, I think.
:
: --
: If you’re not pissed off with the world,
: then you’re just not paying attention...
==============

Are you familiar with cornbread? It's basically lumps of cornbread
batter that have been deep fried.

Cyndi

Jill McQuown

Jul 27, 2003, 6:19:41 AM7/27/03

(laughing) Here's a great recipe for Sole. It's a very delicate fish.

Sole Piccata

1-1/2 lb. sole fillets
1/4 c. dried breadcrumbs
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbs. white wine
juice of one small lemon
1 Tbs. capers (optional)

Sprinkle breadcrumbs on a sheet of waxed paper. Turn fillets on waxed paper
to coat lightly with crumbs. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over
medium-high heat until hot. Add sole and cook to a light golden brown on
each side. Use a large spatula to turn the fish; it is very delicate and
will fall apart.

Remove sole to a platter and keep warm. Add wine to pan to deglaze,
stirring to blend well. Squeeze in the juice of one small lemon and stir
until blended. Add a roux of cold water and cornstarch if necessary to
slightly thicken the sauce. Add the capers if desired. Spoon the sauce
over the sole and serve.

Jill

mrs j peters

Jul 27, 2003, 10:16:53 AM7/27/03
happy birthday jill!!! :)

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Jill McQuown

Jul 27, 2003, 1:47:52 PM7/27/03
mrs j peters wrote:
> happy birthday jill!!! :)

Thanks... I'm 37 (again!!) :D

Jack Schidt®

Jul 27, 2003, 2:43:08 PM7/27/03

> mrs j peters wrote:
> > happy birthday jill!!! :)
> >

> Thanks... I'm 37 (again!!) :D

Belated happy birthday, Jill.

Jack Fiesta

mrs j peters

Jul 27, 2003, 10:15:55 PM7/27/03
hey, that's just like my husband! he turned 32 this week... again. i
teased him.... ok, just like your waist size right?? (he had a hard time
when his waist "suddenly" went from a 32 to a 34... ;)~

Mark Thorson

Jul 27, 2003, 11:28:11 PM7/27/03
Bob Pastorio wrote:

> We made our plain hush puppies by squeezing the batter through a pastry
> bag directly over the hot fat. I liked them that way because they were
> uniformly thick so they cooked very evenly. Different tips gave
> different results so we constantly surprised our customers with our
> "Pups du Jour."

Ain't no hush puppies made that way. Them is funnel cakes.

Nexis

Jul 28, 2003, 1:03:18 AM7/28/03

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

First, Happy Birthday!
Second, where are you and why was the power out?

kimberly

Bob Pastorio

Jul 28, 2003, 1:40:19 AM7/28/03

It's one of the Shenandoah Valley ways. Corn meal, a little white flour,
onions, baking powder, good buttermilk and salt. Some people put melted
butter in there, too. Let it sit to plump the cornmeal and when it's
good and thick, shovel it into a bag and squeeze hard because it doesn't
want to go through the tip. When you get a 3-inch long bit of the corm
meal, cut it off and let it drop into the fat. Fry until golden.

Funnel cakes are a wheat-flour thing that only come around here when the
carnivals and lawn parties are operating. Fun to play with but not real
food. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and pretend they're something besides
a delivery system for powdered sugar.

Pastorio

Gregory Morrow

Jul 28, 2003, 4:21:34 AM7/28/03

Jill McQuown wrote:

Happy belated b-day, Jill. :-))

These MONSTER storms are something else, aren't they? Here in Northern
Illinois during the last few weeks these storms result in a "30, 000 homes
without power" drama....it happens again and again and *again* (thankfully
not here in downtown Chicawgo proper...but in Rockford and the northwest
suburbs....)...

I grew up in the middle of a cornfield downstate, and I thought we had good
storms down there, but YE G-DZ the magnificent storms we in Chicago have
BOOMING out towards Lake Michigan........

--
Best
Greg

Jack Schidt®

Jul 28, 2003, 9:26:19 AM7/28/03

"Bob Pastorio" <past...@rica.net> wrote in message

Or you could serve them with tomato sauce. Hey! It's an entree, no, it's
a dessert!

Jack FriedDough

Tracy Riggs

Jul 28, 2003, 11:16:29 AM7/28/03

We had a huge storm blow through Memphis last Tuesday AM and wipe most
of the electric grid off the map; they said it was about 75% of the
city, but I suspect that was an underestimate. I'm still without power
almost a week later. ;-( <Mutters something under her breath about how
they really ought to fire the quarter wit who came up with this
so-called disaster recovery plan ~ it's been slow because (among other
things) the local utility company has actually refused help from other
states even though they clearly cannot do the job efficiently
themselves ~ 800 power workers with equipment sitting just across the
state line willing and waiting but aren't allowed to do anything
because MLGW is afraid of lawsuits if someone gets hurt. Meanwhile,
people here are dropping of heat stoke in the 90 degree plus/80% plus
humidity, not to mention additional damages/expenses caused by the
lack of power....> Fortunately, the guy across the street is up and
running, and was nice enough to let us string a heavy duty
indoor/outdoor extension cord to our house, so we have one fan and the
computer up and running. Hopefully, it won't be much longer.

Regards,
Tracy R.

Alan Renaldo

Jul 30, 2003, 6:35:06 PM7/30/03
hush puppies.

Hush puppies are nothing but fried dough

Dimitri

Aug 1, 2003, 11:18:57 AM8/1/03

"Alan Renaldo" <alejan...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message

> hush puppies.
>
> Hush puppies are nothing but fried dough

Nope try again...

Dimitri

Martin Golding

Aug 1, 2003, 4:52:40 PM8/1/03

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:18:57 +0000, Dimitri wrote:
> Nope try again...

That _could_ be true, if not particularly informative. Certainly,
'fried dough' limits it inadequately, New Orleans' beignet are
"nothing but fried dough". But likewise, funnel cakes are "nothing
but" fried batter, and doughnuts are either. Food words, more than
anything but insults, vary wildly among dialects. Is the stuff you
pour into the baking tin (pan, sheet) to make cornbread 'batter' or
'dough'? Anybody who'd make cornbread from dough would make a hushpuppy
likewise.

The reputed origin of the term is from fish frying, which would argue
for 'fried batter', but its's an equally strong an argument for 'fried
breading', and food terminology is no respecter of history.

I prefer a barely leavened white corn meal hushpuppy with neither eggs
nor wheat flour, lightly seasoned and moistened only with a good grade
of canned creamed corn. In at least some dialects, it's too thick to meet
the connotations of "batter", and would not be unreasonably referred to
as "dough". (I add eggs when I'm making hundreds for our annual fish
fry, as my serving cowardice outvotes my culinary chutzpah.)

For mass production purposes I used to squeeze them out of a pastry bag,
but the bags would melt when splashed with the grease. Then I tried
squeezing rows out onto a wooden cutting board, cut to length and roll
them into the fat, but that produced too much splashback. Now, my wife
and I spend a weekend or two before the fry scooping and freezing them
in batches.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | martin_...@adp.com Portland, OR

Alan Renaldo

Aug 2, 2003, 4:06:35 PM8/2/03
"Martin Golding" <fog...@attbi.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.08.01....@attbi.com>...

> > "Alan Renaldo" <alejan...@volcanomail.com>:
> >> Hush puppies are nothing but fried dough
>
> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:18:57 +0000, Dimitri wrote:
> > Nope try again...
>
> That _could_ be true, if not particularly informative. Certainly,
> 'fried dough' limits it inadequately, New Orleans' beignet are

> I prefer a barely leavened white corn meal hushpuppy with neither eggs
> nor wheat flour, lightly seasoned and moistened only with a good grade
> of canned creamed corn. In at least some dialects, it's too thick to meet
> the connotations of "batter", and would not be unreasonably referred to
> as "dough". (I add eggs when I'm making hundreds for our annual fish
> fry, as my serving cowardice outvotes my culinary chutzpah.)
>

> For mass production purposes I used to squeeze them out of a pastry bag,
> but the bags would melt when splashed with the grease. Then I tried
> squeezing rows out onto a wooden cutting board, cut to length and roll
> them into the fat, but that produced too much splashback. Now, my wife
> and I spend a weekend or two before the fry scooping and freezing them
> in batches.

Okay, hushpuppies are starchy