Fresh Tomato Pie

hahabogus

Mar 28, 2004, 9:23:20 AM3/28/04
The trick is to drain the tomatoes well, or you get some weepage.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fresh Tomato Pie

none

1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid
2 large ripe tomatoes
salt, pepper; to taste
fresh basil; to taste
2 c grated sharp cheese
1/2 c mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice

Cook the bottom crust for 5 minutes at 450F, after sprinkling with fresh
ground black pepper.

Slice the tomatoes seed and drain well then put in pie shell;
sprinkle the tomatoes layer with salt, pepper and fresh (or dried basil).

Fresh basil one leaf per tomato slice seems to work the best.

More than 1 layer of tomatoes is allowable.

Mix the cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice together and spread over top
layer of tomatoes. Put on the top crust, crimp and make several vent holes

Bake pie for 30-35 minutes at 400F.

This is the totally yummiest and easiest recipe I've found in awhile! You
could substitute ANY vegetable and ANY herbs for a personalized
combination. It has a very fresh flavor. I added vidalia onion with my
tomatoes, and that was great. Might try garlic too! You've really got to
try this!!!

Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

nck

Mar 28, 2004, 10:14:35 AM3/28/04
What we call tomato pie is a little different. Same crust, but we use
either fresh diced or canned diced and season the tomatoes, then add a
mixture of cream cheese, mayonnaisse, sour cream and cheddar on top and bake
till brown and bubbly. It's very creamy and mouth-filling.

I use the low-fat biscuit mix for my crust - rolled very thin, and the
reduced-fat versions of the above ingredients. I usually get asked for the
recipe and friends have told me they like it better than the trad versions.
I guess even down here we are getting a taste for less fat. I was able to
cut the calorie load from nearly 500 cals per serving to 150.
This is making me want one for dinner!
BTW, it's not bad cold, either.
I am going to try your version, too, it sounds yummy. And we are having
lovely, fresh tomatoes in the farmers' markets now.

in article Xns94BA55A3F844...@127.0.0.1, hahabogus at

notbob

Mar 28, 2004, 10:25:03 AM3/28/04
On 2004-03-28, hahabogus <n...@valid.invalid> wrote:

> Fresh Tomato Pie
>
> none
>
> 1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid
> 2 large ripe tomatoes
> salt, pepper; to taste
> fresh basil; to taste
> 2 c grated sharp cheese

Initially, I was intrigued. But, when I got to the cheese, I realized it
was just a very fresh lasagne without the pasta.

nb

hahabogus

Mar 28, 2004, 12:04:19 PM3/28/04
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote in

Just like Pasta is flour with a bit of water and egg.

limey

Mar 28, 2004, 1:01:57 PM3/28/04

"hahabogus" wrote in message

> The trick is to drain the tomatoes well, or you get some weepage.
>
> Fresh Tomato Pie

> 1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid
> 2 large ripe tomatoes
> salt, pepper; to taste
> fresh basil; to taste
> 2 c grated sharp cheese
> 1/2 c mayonnaise
> 1 tbsp lemon juice
>
> Cook the bottom crust for 5 minutes at 450F, after sprinkling with fresh
> ground black pepper.
>
> Slice the tomatoes seed and drain well then put in pie shell;
> sprinkle the tomatoes layer with salt, pepper and fresh (or dried basil).
>
> Fresh basil one leaf per tomato slice seems to work the best.
>
> More than 1 layer of tomatoes is allowable.
>
> Mix the cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice together and spread over top
> layer of tomatoes. Put on the top crust, crimp and make several vent
holes

> Bake pie for 30-35 minutes at 400F.
>
> This is the totally yummiest and easiest recipe I've found in awhile! You
> could substitute ANY vegetable and ANY herbs for a personalized
> combination. It has a very fresh flavor. I added vidalia onion with my
> tomatoes, and that was great. Might try garlic too! You've really got to
> try this!!!

This is absolutely a keeper, awaiting summer's bounty. Thanks!

Dora

Daniel R. Levy

Mar 28, 2004, 3:11:34 PM3/28/04

"hahabogus" <n...@valid.invalid> wrote in message

> The trick is to drain the tomatoes well, or you get some weepage.

Would a salad spinner help

Daniel R. Levy

Mar 28, 2004, 3:14:24 PM3/28/04

"hahabogus" <n...@valid.invalid> wrote in message

> 1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid

What should the cook do with the lid of the pie pan? The recipe does not
say to use it during baking.

Nancy Young

Mar 28, 2004, 3:42:26 PM3/28/04

He means the top crust, not a lid to a pie pan.

nancy

Katra

Mar 28, 2004, 3:50:38 PM3/28/04
In article <WjG9c.41105$PY.2...@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com>,

What an awesome idea! :-)
And you can drink the juice.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

hahabogus

Mar 28, 2004, 5:32:53 PM3/28/04
Katra <KatraM...@centurytel.net> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
A16730.145...@corp.supernews.com:

> Would a salad spinner help

I never considered a salad spinner, I just use a paper towel and some time.

Dan Levy

Mar 29, 2004, 2:44:26 AM3/29/04

> Katra <KatraM...@centurytel.net> wrote in news:KatraMungBean-
> A16730.145...@corp.supernews.com:

> I never considered a salad spinner, I just use a paper towel and some
time.

Wouldn't that get bits of paper on the tomato?

Katra

Mar 29, 2004, 3:10:52 AM3/29/04
In article <c48k4r$4...@netnews.proxy.lucent.com>,
"Dan Levy" <nob...@lucent.com> wrote:

That would depend on the brand you use...
I use paper towels for draining liquids and oils off of food all the
time, and never have that problem. :-)

Rick & Cyndi

Mar 29, 2004, 10:55:16 AM3/29/04
"nck" <moved to middle position to keep thread in 'posting'
order>

:
: > The trick is to drain the tomatoes well, or you get some

weepage.
: >
: > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
: >
: > Fresh Tomato Pie
: >
: > none
: >
: > 1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid
: > 2 large ripe tomatoes
: > salt, pepper; to taste
: > fresh basil; to taste
: > 2 c grated sharp cheese
: > 1/2 c mayonnaise
: > 1 tbsp lemon juice
: >

: > Cook ... <snipping directions>

: > ================

carlo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

[...]

: ==================

Yeah... ours is a little bit different too.
-
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Tomato Pie

Cornmeal Pie Shell*
6-8 med. tomatoes
1/4 c mayonnaise (Miracle Whip Light!!)
1/4 c sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 clove minced garlic
Salt & Pepper
2 TBSP butter
1/2 c chopped green onions (top & bottoms)
1/2 c soft (fresh) bread crumbs
1/4 c chopped parsley
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese

Prepare and partially bake pie shell.

Slice tomatoes 1/2" thick and layer in pie shell.
Combine mayo, sour cream & garlic. Spread over tomatoes.
Sprinkle with salt & pepper.

Melt butter and saute green onions for a few minutes. Stir in
bread crumbs, parsley, & cheese. Sprinkle over tomatoes.

Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let rest at least 10 minutes
before cutting and serving.

*****
CORNMEAL PIE SHELL

Combine 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP flour and 2 TBSP yellow cornmeal.

Remove and discard 2 heaping TBSP of the flour/cornmeal mix.

Add 2 TBSP cold water to mix (more if necessary) and cut-in 6
TBSP butter.

Mix all together and roll into a 10" circle. Fit into 9" pie
pan. Trim/shape pie shell edges.

Bake at 450 F. for 5 minutes.

Edited version from a My Great Recipes recipe.

Appkiller

Mar 29, 2004, 1:51:26 PM3/29/04
Julia Child did a killer variation on this with a homemade crust
including sour cream and corn meal - crunchy and slightly sour, the
pie was rustic tart style and oh-so-good.

Anyone desiring a copy of this recipe should post a request in this
thread and I will dig it up. I haven't had the opportunity to make it
since my wife was diagnosed with a whole passel of food allergies.
God, I miss this tart!

App

limey

Mar 29, 2004, 3:21:40 PM3/29/04

"Appkiller" <pete...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, please post!

Dora

limey

Mar 29, 2004, 3:39:19 PM3/29/04

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message > "nck" <moved to middle position to keep

thread in 'posting'
> order>
>
> : > The trick is to drain the tomatoes well, or you get some
> weepage.
> : >
> : > @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
> : >
> : > Fresh Tomato Pie
> : >
> : > none
> : >
> : > 1 deep dish pie crust plus enough for a lid
> : > 2 large ripe tomatoes
> : > salt, pepper; to taste
> : > fresh basil; to taste
> : > 2 c grated sharp cheese
> : > 1/2 c mayonnaise
> : > 1 tbsp lemon juice
> : >
> : > Cook ... <snipping directions>
>
> : > ================
>
> wrote in message
> Tomato Pie
> <recipe saved>

I'm a little confused. Hahabogus' recipe has a top crust and emphasizes
draining the tomatoes well.
Your and nck's recipes don't call for a top crust and say nothing about
draining the tomatoes. Does that mean your versions weep - or not, since
there's no top crust? I'm dying to try this pie, regardless of version.

Dora

hahabogus

Mar 29, 2004, 6:24:27 PM3/29/04
"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in news:5Q%9c.18$ZD3....@news.abs.net:

With my version...a day later the tomato pie will weep (like a lemon pie)
if you don't drain the tomato slices well. So either eat it the same day or
drain the tomato slices well before use.

hahabogus

Mar 29, 2004, 6:51:30 PM3/29/04
"limey" <li...@giveitup.com> wrote in news:5Q%9c.18$ZD3....@news.abs.net:

> I'm a little confused. Hahabogus' recipe has a top crust and emphasizes
> draining the tomatoes well.
> Your and nck's recipes don't call for a top crust and say nothing about
> draining the tomatoes. Does that mean your versions weep - or not, since
> there's no top crust? I'm dying to try this pie, regardless of version.
>
> Dora

A little note on my recipe...I like to replace the fresh pepper used on the
lower crust prior to baking with a smear of grainy mustard...Both are nice
though I like the mustard better.

Rick & Cyndi

Mar 29, 2004, 10:41:01 PM3/29/04
"limey" <l& Cyndi"

<snipping 'theirs'>
: >
: >
: > Yeah... ours is a little bit different too.

: > -
: > Cyndi
: >
: > Tomato Pie
: > <recipe saved>
:
: I'm a little confused. Hahabogus' recipe has a top crust and
emphasizes
: draining the tomatoes well.
: Your and nck's recipes don't call for a top crust and say
nothing about
: draining the tomatoes. Does that mean your versions weep - or
not, since
: there's no top crust? I'm dying to try this pie, regardless of
version.
:
: Dora

: ============

A lot less weeping. If will get a little 'wet' if you don't
finish it the first day but it's really not a big deal. The
flavor is awesome enough to cover up such a little sin. <giggle>

nck

Mar 30, 2004, 11:40:43 AM3/30/04
On 3/29/04 5:24 PM, in article Xns94BBB163F31E...@127.0.0.1,
"hahabogus" <n...@valid.invalid> wrote:

Weepage has never been a problem. The crust and the cheese tend to suck it
all up.

Ranee Mueller

Mar 31, 2004, 12:41:38 PM3/31/04
In article <ac4af1d8.04032...@posting.google.com>,
pete...@yahoo.com (Appkiller) wrote:

> Anyone desiring a copy of this recipe should post a request in this
> thread and I will dig it up. I haven't had the opportunity to make it
> since my wife was diagnosed with a whole passel of food allergies.
> God, I miss this tart!

I would love this recipe. I was planning on making a tomato pie and
savory egg custards for lunch with our family this Friday.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Appkiller

Apr 1, 2004, 10:32:11 PM4/1/04
Rustic Tomato Tart

Best with plum tomatoes fresh from the garden but when you live in the
north, you do what you can.

Crust
1 c flour
1/4 c corn meal
3 T sour cream
1 t salt
7 T butter, cold unsalted cut into 1 T pats
~ 5 T cold water

Crust is created as any other pie crust mix the dry, cut the butter
and sour cream in and then just enough water to make a malleable ball.
Refrigerate til needed.

Filling
2 oz. each shredded monterey jack and mozzarella (buffalo if ya got
it)
fresh torn basil to taste
good quality olive oil
4-5 plum tomatoes sliced

Preheat oven to 425.

Roll out the crust into a round - it may be a little temperamental but
well worth the trouble. Place on a cookie sheet or silpat or whatever
and layer the middle third of the crust with tomato, cheese, olive
oil, basil and salt/pepper to taste.

Bring up the sides as with a rustic tart, crimping and removing excess
dough (some like it thick so this is a taste thing). Brush with olive
oil or egg wash
and bake at 425 for 15 min and 325 for 20 min. I would allow it to
cool a bit before cutting into it with a very sharp knife.

Variations we've tried: add caramelized onions, no cheese. quite
good.

Enjoy!

App