Cranberries recipes wanted.

Gabby

Feb 15, 2001, 7:15:20 PM2/15/01
Recently I was able to buy a case of cranberries for $5 (can). We normally
pay $3 per bag so of course I jumped at the chance. Now they're in the
freezer and I would appreciate all the recipes I can get. Does anyone have
one for cranberry sorbet? I lost mine.

Gabby

Vox Humana

Feb 15, 2001, 10:08:29 PM2/15/01
I don't have a sorbet recipe, but you might want to check out the Ocean
Spray site.
http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes.htm

"Gabby" <msme...@nospam.hvgb.net> wrote in message

Victor Sack

Feb 16, 2001, 2:19:11 AM2/16/01
Gabby <msme...@nospam.hvgb.net> wrote:

There is a cranberry sorbet recipe at
<http://www.bostonherald.com/lifestyle/food_dining/here05072000.htm>.

Here are recipes for a cranberry drink and a cranberry _kisel_.

Cranberry drink

1 l (1.1 quarts) water
500 g (1.1 pounds) berries
400 g (0.9 pounds) sugar (or to taste)
juice of 1/2 lemon

Make a syrup by boiling water with sugar. Squeeze out the berries
through a cheesecloth and reserve the juice. Put the squeezed-out
berries in a saucepan, pour in a cup of the syrup and boil for 5
minutes. Let cool and squeeze out again through a cheesecloth. Mix the
resulting liquid with the berry and lemon juices and the rest of the
syrup and refrigerate. Serve chilled.

Cranberry kisel

A kisel is a starchy jelly- or fool-like concoction. Here's
how cranberry kisel is made. The amounts are up to you. A kisel can be
as thick or thin as one likes, so modify the amount of starch to your
liking. Ditto with the sugar. Really thick kisels have an aspic-like
consistency and are served cold. Those that are like a thick syrup are
generally served warm or at room temperature. Thin ones are generally
used as a kind of sauce. One can also use milk instead of water. The
proportions are 1 cup dissolved starch to 1 litre (1.1 US quart) of
water with sugar and juice.

cranberries
sugar
potato starch (or cornstarch)
water

Rinse the berries, crush them and juice them by rubbing them through a
sieve or squeezing them through cheesecloth into a non-reacting dish.
Reserve the juice. Pour 2 cups of water over the squeezed out cranberry
skins, bring to the boil and cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Strain,
discarding the skins. Add sugar to the strained liquid, bring to the
boil and cook until it thickens a bit, creating a kind of thin syrup.
Dissolve the starch in a cup of cold water and stir until it reaches a
milk-like consistency. Now add the starch to the vigorously boiling
liquid, all at once, stirring fast for 15-25 seconds, while bringing it
to the boil again. Take from heat and continue to stir vigorously until
the liquid thickens. As soon as this has happened, add the cranberry
juice and stir vigorously again. Let cool and serve as is or with
whipped cream.

Victor

Denise~*

Feb 16, 2001, 3:16:24 AM2/16/01
On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:15:20 -0400, "Gabby" <msme...@nospam.hvgb.net>
wrote:

Oh yeah! my own recipe!

I don't "can" this one because it is not mean't to be cooked. It
freezes *very* well though, and I always make a hudge batch & then
pull out a container each Chrismas & Thanksgiving and serve some with
and without coolwhip mixed in.

Cranberry Relish

2, 12 oz packages cranberries (Frozen)
2 large Apples, peeled & Cored (can be any "crisp" apple)
2 oranges plus the Zest from the 2 oranges
1/2 cup canned pineapple, reserve juice
3 cups sugar

Grind all items in a meat grinder type machine (Medium chopper)
Mix all ingredients together (ground fruit, Zest & Sugar)
add Pineapple juice sparingly if needed (if mixture is too thick)
Let sit overnight in Fridge for flavors to intermingle, stirring
occasionally.

Freeze leftovers in small containers for future use.

It can be used straight, or mix in some cool whip!

Denise & Brian (and Spaz & Bobbi, the feathered ones)

I am my Birdies Mom

Denise~*

Feb 16, 2001, 3:11:38 AM2/16/01
wrote:

>Recently I was able to buy a case of cranberries for $5 (can). We normally

There was a Cranberry-Jalapeno thread a while back & I made the relish
& Jelly recipe's & they were yummy! I canned them & gave some as
gifts.

This one posted by Mary f.

Here is the recipe Kay Hartman gave me a few years ago. I love it.

Cranberry Jalapeno Relish

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 or 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries

Bring the water and vinegar to a boil. Let boil 5 minutes.
Add the sugar and jalapeno peppers. Let boil 5 more minutes.
Stir in the cranberries. Let boil 5 more minutes.
Chill in refrigerator.

Kay Hartman

and then this one posted by TJ

I typed cranberry jalapeno jelly into metacrawler as a phrase and came
up with three recipes. Here is one:

3 cups cranberry juice
1 cup chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
7 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
2 pouches (3 oz. ea.) liquid fruit pectin
10 drops red food coloring - optional, but sure is pretty.

Place cranberry juice and peppers in a blender;
cover and process until peppers are fully chopped. Strain through a
double thickness of cheese cloth. Pour the strained juice into a large
kettle; add sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Stir in vinegar and pectin; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for
1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim foam. Add
food coloring, if desired.
Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4 headspace. Adjust caps and process
for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath. This makes 8 1/2 pint jars.
This is sooooo good with cream cheese on crackers. Last year I put a
jar of this (with ribbon, of course), a block of cream cheese, a box
of crackers, and some Christmas candy in the small gift bags, and
presented it to the several families at our Christmas get together.
It was a hit with all, and so inexpensive!!!
Also, if you would rather have "green", use apple juice and green food
coloring.

Jean B.

Feb 17, 2001, 11:53:23 AM2/17/01

Gabby,

Here are two very tasty recipes for you. I believe the first was
originally in Gourmet magazine at least 15 years ago....

Jean B.

Cranberry Grunt (ca 4)

An excellent recipe...

2 to 2 1/4 cranberries, picked over
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c chopped pecans
3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
confectioner's sugar (opt.)

Spread cranberries in a buttered or sprayed 8-inch round pan. Combine
1/4 c sugar, pecans, and 2 Tbsp butter, and sprinkle over cranberries.
Whip 1/2 c sugar and egg with fork til mixed. Combine flours,
cinnamon, and nutmeg and stir into egg mixture. Add the remaining 4
Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp at a time, stirring well after each addition.
Spoon over cranberries and pecans and smooth out. Bake at 350F for 45
minutes or til golden-brown. If desired, sift some confectioner's
sugar over the top. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream. Jean B.
via RFC

Dorothy Belding's Cranberry-Walnut Pie (8)

Brilliant flavor. This and Cranberry Grunt are the best cranberry
desserts I've ever come across, and it's hard to imagine anything
better. JB

3 1/2 c fresh cranberries
1/2 c seedless raisins
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
3/4 c chopped walnuts
1/4 c light corn syrup
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp soft butter
grated zest of 1 orange
1/4 tsp salt
9-inch unbaked pie shell
orange slices and whole cranberries for garnish

Grind cranberries and raisins. Combine well with sugar, walnuts, corn
syrup, flour, butter, orange zest, and salt. Turn into pie crust.
Bake in lower half of oven at 375F for 40-45 minutes or til pastry is
browned and cooked. Cool and decorate before cutting. Serve plain or
topped with whipped cream or ice cream. Jean B. via RFC

satanic dog-polisher

Feb 17, 2001, 1:42:23 PM2/17/01
wrote:

>Recently I was able to buy a case of cranberries for $5 (can). We normally

don't have sorbet, but here's a nice desert thing.

Cranberry Crisp

3 cups fresh cranberries
½ cup sugar
2 ½ Tbl quick-cooking tapioca
Grated rind of 1 small lemon
¾ cup flour
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnimon
1/3 cup sweet butter
½ cup heavy cream

Pre heat oven to 375°F. In bowl, gently toss cranberries, sugar,
tapioca and lemon rind until combined; spoon into 1 qt baking dish. To
prepare topping: in a bowl mix flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnimon
with fork or pastry blender. Cut in butter until mixture resembles
course meal. Spoon topping over cranberry mixture; bake 20 to 30
minutes or until berries are soft & topping crisp. Cool and serve with
whipped cream.

Gabby

Feb 17, 2001, 3:40:44 PM2/17/01

satanic dog-polisher <just-a...@invalid.addy> wrote in message

Thanks to all who replied. Now I get to gain weight. ;o)
You can keep those recipes coming, as I'm always happy to find new ways to
use these little jewels.

Gabby

Marcia DeCaro

Feb 22, 2001, 11:35:53 AM2/22/01
This is my favorite cranberry recipe. I found it in Bon Apetit a couple of
years ago and I've adjusted a little.

Cranberry Walnut Pie

1 single pie crust

3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 TBSP. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped

Position rack in the bottom third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Butter
9-inch diameter glass pie dish. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to
13 inch round. Transfer crust to prepared dish. Trim crust edge to ½ inch
overhang if necessary. Fold overhang under. Forming dough edge. Crimp edge
decoratively. Freeze 15 minutes.

Beat sugar and eggs in large bowl to blend. Whisk in maple syrup, butter,
vanilla and salt. Stir in walnuts and cranberries. Pour filling into
prepared crust.

Bake pie 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake until
filling is set, about 35 minutes longer. Transfer pie to rack; cool
completely. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Serve with whipped cream.

Marcia