Pears

Andrew Connell

Sep 8, 2001, 5:00:43 AM9/8/01
I have just harvested my pear tree and other eating them in the conventional
way I am stuck for ideas. Can anyone please come up with any
recipe/suggestions.

Thanks.

SPOONS

Sep 8, 2001, 11:00:12 AM9/8/01
Cranberry Pear Upside Down Cake

½ cup packed light brown sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp margarine

½ tsp salt

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/3 cup sugar

1 can pear halves in juice -- (1lb)

3 tbsp honey

1 cup cranberries

3 tbsp oil

1 ½ cups flour

2 large egg whites

½ cup rye or regular flour

2 tsp grated lemon rind

1 tsp baking powder

1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9" round. In pan, stir brown sugar, margarine
and lemon juice. Spread evenly over bottom. Drain pears, reserving ¾ cup
juice. Cut in half lengthwise. Place on top of brown sugar with rounded
sides down, arranging like spokes of a wheel. Scatter cranberries in single
layer around pears. In medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking
soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk sugar, honey, oil, egg whites, lemon
rind, lemon juice and pear juice together until well blended. Add half flour
mixture to liquid. Stir just to blend. Add remaining flour and blend, being
careful not to overmix. Scrape into pan, spreading evenly over fruit. Bake
30-35 minutes. Place pan upright to cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto serving
plate. Serve warm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Andrew Connell" <andrew.d...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

minnie

Sep 8, 2001, 11:29:31 AM9/8/01

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bartlett Graham Cracker Bars

Recipe By :Oregon, Washington, California Pear Bureau
Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bars Cookies

2 fresh Bartlett pears
whole graham crackers
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 ounces butterscotch chips

Core and dice pears to measure 1-1/2 cups.
Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with whole graham crackers.
Combine diced pears, brown sugar, butter, milk, coconut and graham cracker
crumbs in saucepan. Boil until thick.
Spread over crackers. Top with another layer of whole crackers.
Melt butterscotch chips. Spread over crackers. Cut bars in shape of
crackers.
Store in refrigerator.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pear Crescent Cookies

Recipe By :Taste of Home
Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cookies Formed

1 cup butter -- softened
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup diced peeled pears
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Gradually add flour and
salt.
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
Divide dough into fourths.
On a floured surface, roll out each portion into a 12" circle. Cut into 12
wedges.
Place about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar at the wide end of each wedge. Top
with about 1/2 teaspoon each pears and walnuts.
Roll up, beginning at wide end. Place pointed side down 2" apart on
ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescent.
Bake at 375ē for 16-19 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove
to wire racks.
Combine confectioners' sugar and milk. Drizzle over cooled cookies.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pear Sherbet

Recipe By :the Complete Book of Homemade Ice Cream
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Ice Cream

3 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
6 fresh, ripe pears, peeled, cored -- sliced
1 cinnamon stick -- 2"
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

In saucepan, combine water and sugar. Boil for 5 min.
Add peeled, cored, sliced pears and cinnamon to the hot sugar syrup. Cook,
stirring occasionally, on low heat until pears are tender. Strain mixture
through a sieve. Cool.
Add lemon juice to the cooled mixture.
Churn-freeze.

ryannosaurus

Sep 8, 2001, 2:09:01 PM9/8/01
On or about Sat, 8 Sep 2001 10:00:43 +0100 in the vicinity of
rec.food.cooking , article <L8lm7.14093$235.1495138@news6-
win.server.ntlworld.com>, andrew.d...@ntlworld.com incrminated
themself with the following confession...

> I have just harvested my pear tree and other eating them in the conventional
> way I am stuck for ideas. Can anyone please come up with any
> recipe/suggestions.

here's a really easy one that everyone here loves, I usually up
everything a bit to make it in an 8x11x2 baking dish. great with vanilla
ice cream, too.

Pear Crisp (The Oregonian)

5 medium fresh pears, sliced (or 4 large)
2 Tbl Lemon juice 1 ½ cups gingersnaps, crushed
½ cup brown sugar, packed 6 Tbl Butter or margarine
1 tsp ground cinnimon ½ tsp salt (optional)
whipped cream (optional)

Heat oven to 350°. Sprinkle sliced pears with lemon juice and place in 9"
pie pan / dish. Work gingersnaps, butter, brown sugar & cinnimon together
with pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Spread over pears. Bake at
350° 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with cream, whipped cream or ice cream if
desired. 6 servings.

--
radio k-ry now broadcasting from mp3.com
http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/222/kry.html

Stacey Nutting

Sep 8, 2001, 5:21:17 PM9/8/01

"Andrew Connell" <andrew.d...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Poach them in port, sprinkle with good blue cheese or stilton and chopped
walnuts.
Yum!

Stace

Christopher Green

Sep 8, 2001, 9:08:03 PM9/8/01

Can 'em. Pears are among the best fruits for home canning. I favor
brandied pears, but that may depend on the availability of cheap
brandy for canning in your area.

--
Chris Green

Alan Zelt

Sep 9, 2001, 2:15:14 AM9/9/01

I've made this one twice and really like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CARAMELIZED PEAR CAKE

Recipe By : Bi-Rite Market, San Francisco, CA,Bon Appétit,9/00
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Fruit
Cake

6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (3/4 stick)
3/4 cup golden brown sugar -- (packed)
2 1/4 pounds Bosc pears -- peeled, quartered,
cored
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 cup grated peeled Bosc pears (about 2 medium)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt butter in heavy 10-inch-diameter ovenproof
skillet over low heat.Remove from heat. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Arrange quartered pears in flower design atop sugar, cutting some
pieces to fit center if necessary.

Whisk flour, 2/3 cup sugar, crystallized ginger, cinnamon, baking soda,
ground ginger and salt in medium bowl to blend. Whisk eggs, oil,
vanilla and orange peel in large bowl to blend. Mix in grated pears.
Mix dry ingredients into egg mixture.

Carefully pour batter over pears in skillet. Bake cake until tester
inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cake in
skillet on rack 20 minutes. Run knife around skillet sides to loosen.

Place plate on skillet over cake. Invert cake onto plate. Serve warm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream is perfect with this
upside-down
cake from the Bi-Rite Market in San Francisco.

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"The pleasure of the table reigns among other pleasures, and it is
the last to console when others are lost."
--Brillat-Savarin

Nancree

Sep 9, 2001, 7:10:17 PM9/9/01
>>I have just harvested my pear tree and other eating them in the conventional
>>way I am stuck for ideas.
---------------------
This is easy, and VERY good:

PEAR CRISP
Slice pears (peeled) into a shallow oven-safe casserole. In your blender,
grind up about 18 or 19 Nabisco ginger snaps.
Put in bowl and season with about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. each of cinnamon, ginger and
ground cloves. Melt butter, enough to get all of the ground ginger snaps "wet".
Put over sliced pears and bake at 400 degrees until top is crusty and juice is
bubbling.
Good either warm or room temp.
Nancree