Cookbook staff visited by beet police?

1 view

notbob

Dec 26, 2002, 8:14:48 PM12/26/02
Dang. I coulda' swore I submitted a beet-potato salad recipe. Maybe
not. It's been a long time. But, looking through the rfc cookbook, I
notice beet recipes are conspicuously absent. Co-inkydink? I think
not. :)

Oh well. Other than the glaring beet omission, I have to say the
cookbook is just beautiful. The layout is simple, yet tastefully
elegant. It has a great selection of recipes and the spiral binding
makes it a natural in the kitchen. Kudos to the cookbook staff for an
oustanding job.

I gave one to my daughter for Christmas.

nb

Jean B.

Dec 26, 2002, 8:41:47 PM12/26/02

Well, the next book will have to have a major section on beets. BTW,
I DO have a nice beet salad recipe that my mom liked to serve on
Christmas....

Jean B.

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 26, 2002, 10:41:21 PM12/26/02
On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 01:14:48 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

>Dang. I coulda' swore I submitted a beet-potato salad recipe. Maybe
>not. It's been a long time. But, looking through the rfc cookbook, I
>notice beet recipes are conspicuously absent. Co-inkydink? I think
>not. :)

You submitted four recipes, and we only used three recipes per person..
Number four was the beet-potato salad. Here it is, for those who want to
pencil it into their cookbook:

(I'm glad you're enjoying the cookbook. Can't wait to see mine!)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dutch Sweet & Sour Beet Salad (Huizarijn Sla)

Recipe By :notbob
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups, Salads & Vegetables

2 large russet potatoes -- unpeeled
16 ounce jar pickled beets -- with juice
1/4 pound cold roast beef
1/2 red onion -- chopped
salt and pepper -- to taste
ground nutmeg -- to taste
1/3 7.5 ounce jar cocktail onions -- with 1/3 of juice
14 1/2 ounces canned cut green beans -- drained

Boil unpeeled potatoes till well done thru. Let cool and then peel and
chop potatoes, discarding peel. Remove beets from pickling juice, dice,
and return to juice. Chop, shred, or julienne roast beef to bite sized
pieces. Leave cocktail onions whole and set aside with 1/3 of the juice
from jar. Drain cut green beans, discarding juice.

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Initially, mixture will be
overly wet, but the potatoes will eventually absorb all the juices. Chill
in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Mix again and serve.

Frannie Diemont

Source:
"California, USA"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I attended a great backyard picnic of one of my neighbors.
Everything was killer, but the big surprise was the salad. The hostess,
Frannie, is Dutch-Indonesian and is always introducing me to great ethnic
dishes. Well, this was the best one yet. It's called Huizarijn Sla
(who-CZAR-in slaw) or Dutch Sweet & Sour Beet Salad, and it's basically a
beet/potato salad. BONUS!! ...almost completely fat free.

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:

Alan Zelt

Dec 26, 2002, 11:52:02 PM12/26/02

While I am most appreciative if they are absent, I find their exclusion
would be impossible with Victor's presence.
--
Alan

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/

Victor Sack

Dec 27, 2002, 1:18:38 AM12/27/02
Alan Zelt <alz...@worldnet.att.netFINNFAN> wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > Dang. I coulda' swore I submitted a beet-potato salad recipe. Maybe
> > not. It's been a long time. But, looking through the rfc cookbook, I
> > notice beet recipes are conspicuously absent. Co-inkydink? I think
> > not. :)
>

> While I am most appreciative if they are absent, I find their exclusion
> would be impossible with Victor's presence.

I confess there are indeed no beetroot recipes, for which omission I'm
going to be damned for eternity, no doubt. :-(

Victor