Lime Chicken, Anyone?

Gargoylle

Jan 14, 2001, 12:43:29 AM1/14/01
On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 04:12:28 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<head_t...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I had a hard drive
>crash and lost everything a few months ago, so please be kind.
>
>I'm interested in making lime chicken, using boneless, skinless chicken
>breasts, and no tequila. No money for tequila right now, and I'll be using
>a bottle of ReaLime.
>
>I've had lime chicken in restaurants, but I don't know where to start in
>making my own. <pathetically> "Help!"
>
>Carol
>>--
>Damsel's Edible Complex:
>http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
>Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Heirloom Recipes

I did some a long time ago and can't remember where I got the recipe.
I found the one below and it looks similar. I think I used cilantro
also.

This one is for grilling, so you'll have to use the oven until you get
a new grill. A toaster oven would work if you have one. If you like
it, I'm sure you'll be able to figure something out.

Gar

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1-inch
strips

Directions

1
In a large bowl combine the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice. Measure in
the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt
and pepper. Whisk until the oil and vinegar are emulsified.
2
Add chicken cubes to the bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator for a
few hours.
3
Thread chicken on to skewers. Grill the chicken over medium high heat
for about 10 minutes or until the juices run clear.

hahabogus (Alan)

Jan 14, 2001, 7:29:51 AM1/14/01

"Damsel in dis Dress" <head_t...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I had a hard drive
> crash and lost everything a few months ago, so please be kind.
>
> I'm interested in making lime chicken, using boneless, skinless chicken
> breasts, and no tequila. No money for tequila right now, and I'll be
using
> a bottle of ReaLime.
>
> I've had lime chicken in restaurants, but I don't know where to start in
> making my own. <pathetically> "Help!"
>
> Carol
> >--
> Damsel's Edible Complex:
> http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
> Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Heirloom Recipes

Here's a couple the last one is just a gravy to pour over cooked chicken
pieces, so get qwerty to make it for you :).

Garlic Lime Chicken
By: Unknown
poultry, spices, vegetables

4 chicken breast; skinned, boned and halved
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 garlic clove; minced
1/2 teaspoon mustard, dry
1/2 teaspoon pepper, black

Mix together soy sauce, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and
mustard. Place chicken in a bowl and pour sauce over all. Cover and
marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade.
Sprinkle with black pepper. Spray non-stick fry pan with butter
flavored cooking spray. Heat over medium temperature. Add chicken and
cook about 6 minutes on each side or until fork can be inserted in
chicken with ease. Note: Chicken may be grilled. It is also delicious
served cold. Submitted By SAM WARING
<SAM.W...@382-91-12.IMA.INFOMAIL.COM> On MON, 20 NOV 1995 145826 GMT

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 00:00

Yoghurt Lime Chicken
By: Unknown
main dish, poultry

1 cup yoghurt
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch

Mix all of the above ingredients in a saucepan. Cook gently over low heat
until thickened. Cook chicken according to the instruction on bag. Pour
sauce over chicken and serve. A recipe from the bag of chicken I by, thighs
Brought to you and yours via Nancy O'Brion and her Meal-Master.

Yield: 1 serving
Prep Time: 00:00

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 14, 2001, 3:20:31 PM1/14/01
<head_t...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I had a hard drive
>crash and lost everything a few months ago, so please be kind.
>
>I'm interested in making lime chicken, using boneless, skinless chicken
>breasts, and no tequila. No money for tequila right now, and I'll be using
>a bottle of ReaLime.
>
>I've had lime chicken in restaurants, but I don't know where to start in
>making my own. <pathetically> "Help!"

Mmm, don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I
collected a couple recipes off Epicurious.com that has boneless,
skinless chicken breast and lime juice. I've tried both, and both are
quite good, IMO. On the plus side, they're pretty simple.

Ariane

Garlic-Lime Chicken
from Epicurious.com

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (since we are garlic fiends, I often add more!)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken with marinade, and marinate
at least 2 hours and up to 1 day, covered in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove chicken from marinade and discard
leftover marinade. Arrange chicken in shallow baking pan and season
with salt and pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes or until just cooked.

Notes: Nice, tangy flavor. I've never tried this on a grill, but I
suppose it would work there, too. I often put the marinade,
etc. together the night before, so if I know the next day will be
busy, it doesn't take a whole lot of work to pop it in the oven.

Tarragon-Lime Chicken
from Epicurious.com

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. dried tarragon
1/2 tsp. dried oregano

Arrange chicken in single layer in glass casserole dish or pie plate.
Season with salt and pepper. Whisk oil, lime juice, and herbs in a
small bowl to blend. Pour marinade over chicken and turn to coat.
Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.

Preheat broiler or prepare barbecue. Transfer chicken to broiler pan
or barbecue and season with salt and pepper. Broil until just cooked
through, about 3 minutes per side.

Notes: Easily halved, with a good flavor, although I think you MUST
like tarragon. I used the Foreman grill for this and marinated for
slightly longer, but in the fridge.

Dimitri

Jan 14, 2001, 6:27:19 PM1/14/01

"Damsel in dis Dress" <head_t...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I had a hard drive
> crash and lost everything a few months ago, so please be kind.
>
> I'm interested in making lime chicken, using boneless, skinless chicken
> breasts, and no tequila. No money for tequila right now, and I'll be
using
> a bottle of ReaLime.
>
> I've had lime chicken in restaurants, but I don't know where to start in
> making my own. <pathetically> "Help!"
>
> Carol

Lime juice is just wonderful with Chicken.

Many other things are very compatible with lime juice. Garlic, onion,
cilantro, any kind of parsley, salt, pepper, diced fresh chiles or bell
peppers and I especially like cumin for a *southwestern* flavor. The only
caveat is don't marinate the chicken too long 1/2 half hour to 1 hour should
be plenty. If you marinate the chicken too long then the lime juice will
overpower the chicken flavor.

Just have fun and experiment a little. You'll do just fine.

Regards,

Dimitri

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 14, 2001, 9:21:32 PM1/14/01
>"Damsel in dis Dress" <head_t...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I had a hard drive
>> crash and lost everything a few months ago, so please be kind.
>>
>> I'm interested in making lime chicken, using boneless, skinless chicken
>> breasts, and no tequila. No money for tequila right now, and I'll be
>using
>> a bottle of ReaLime.
>>
>> I've had lime chicken in restaurants, but I don't know where to start in
>> making my own. <pathetically> "Help!"
>>
>> Carol
>> >--
>> Damsel's Edible Complex:
>> http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/

I was thinking you could take my lemon-basil chicken recipe and substitute lime
juice for lemon and cilantro for basil. And maybe chipotle chili powder for
some of the black pepper.

Sheryl
(Remove the crap to email)
Live like there's no tomorrow...
Love like you've never been hurt,
and Dance like there's nobody watching.

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 14, 2001, 10:46:04 PM1/14/01

>catma...@aol.comcrap (Sheryl Rosen) wrote:
>
>>I was thinking you could take my lemon-basil chicken recipe and substitute
>>lime juice for lemon and cilantro for basil. And maybe chipotle chili
>>powder for some of the black pepper.
>>
>>Sheryl
>
>I've been out of touch for awhile. Would it be a lot of trouble to re-post
>your basic recipe? I did a Deja search, but all I found was a reference to
>the dish when you were going to make a Penzey's run for the ingredients.
>
>Thanks,

>Carol
>>--
>Damsel's Edible Complex:
>http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/
>Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Heirloom Recipes

Only for you, sweetie, only for you!!! ;-)

LEMON BASIL CHICKEN

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Combine olive oil with next 7 ingredients. (Use blender for creamy
consistency). Arrange chicken in a shallow glass dish. Pour marinade over
chicken, turning once to coat. Let marinate for at least one hour, the longer
the better. Grill, about 5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of
chicken.

This is FANTASTIC on the grill outside. It's good under the broiler in the
winter, too. I've made it in a grill pan, but..it's better over the open flame.

I think this would convert nicely to lime/cilantro instead of lemon basil. And
maybe use only the fresh garlic, and sub cumin or chipoltle powder for the
black pepper and/or the garlic powder. And why couldn't one use tequila rather
than the vinegar? Hmmmmm....sounds like a new thing to try when the weather
gets warm.

Thanks, Carol!