Give me your best please

Pat

Jun 7, 2001, 3:27:39 AM6/7/01
Having friends overnight and dinner on Sunday. One just had extensive
dental work and it still limited to fish and pasta.

They are gourment cooks so I hate being limited like this but
understand..Any suggestions?

Pat

Valerie

Jun 7, 2001, 8:06:09 AM6/7/01

"Pat" <g...@bestweb.net> wrote in message

The Buttery Potato Crusted Fish is very good, but I'm not sure if it would
be too "crusty" for someone who has had extensive dental work.
Valerie

Buttery Potato Crusted Fish

1-2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
4 cloves garlic, almost pureed
¼ tsp. Black pepper, ¼ tsp. Salt, 1 tsp. Creole Seasoning
¾ cup cultured buttermilk
6 fish filets(of choice) , about 6 oz. Ea.
1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
2 Tbs. Butter or margarine
Add seasonings, garlic and mustard to buttermilk. Dip filets in
the seasoned buttermilk. Roll in potato flakes until thoroughly coated.
Sauté them in butter until flaky, crunchy and crispy, serve with pasta.
Note: These do create a little smoke sometimes, be sure to have your vent
on high, if necessary.

Hickory Glazed Salmon
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
4 salmon fillets
1 cup shallots, 1/8 inch dice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup apple juice concentrate (canned)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
5 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Preparation:
TO MAKE GLAZE:
1) Sauté shallots in vegetable oil until medium brown.
2) Add apple juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar, liquid smoke, and onion
powder. Stir to combine ingredients.
3) Simmer 7 minutes.
4) Combine water and cornstarch, mix well and whisk into simmering liquid.
5) Simmer 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
6) Place in appropriate container and allow to cool.

TO MAKE HICKORY GLAZED SALMON:
1) Preheat oven to 450°F.
2) Oil bottom of roasting pan.
3) Place 6-8 ounce salmon fillets on pan.
4) Liberally brush each piece of salmon with the Hickory Glaze.
5) Roast salmon for 15-20 minutes, depending upon thickness (approximately
10 minutes per inch of thickness.)

Spaghettini with Green Sauce
8 –10 oz. Spaghettini (or capellini, fideline, or vermicelli)
2 Tbs. Whole basil
2 Tbs. Parsley flakes
¼ cup soft butter or margarine
1 8 oz. Pkg. Cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup olive oil or salad oil
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. Pepper
2/3 cup boiling water
Cook spaghettini in a large amount boiling salted water until just tender
(don’t overcook); drain and keep warm.
For sauce, add basil and parsley to butter. Blend in cream cheese, Parmesan
cheese, olive oil, garlic, and pepper. Stir in boiling water; blend well.
Arrange hot spaghettini on warm platter and serve immediately with the
sauce.

decobabe

Jun 7, 2001, 9:44:50 AM6/7/01
How about Moules Mariniere with crusty bread and non-crusty bread? And a
salad of cooked veg need not be firmer than pasta.

Curly Sue

Jun 7, 2001, 10:16:22 AM6/7/01
How about Fish Florentine?
http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/fishflor.html

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dotnet

Dimitri

Jun 7, 2001, 10:32:41 AM6/7/01

"Pat" <g...@bestweb.net> wrote in message

In a word "CIOPPINO" - serve it with a nice bread (crusty is OK) for
dipping.

If you want to get fancy then serve a *small* portion of fettuccini Alfredo
as a appetizer, and a sorbet for dessert.

Dimitri

Wayne Adair

Jun 7, 2001, 10:15:14 AM6/7/01
Pat wrote:

How about this one. It is one of my favorites.

Shrimp Curry

1/3 c butter
½ c chopped onion
½ c chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c sour cream
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Curry powder
¾ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Ginger
Dash pepper
Dash chili powder
3 c cleaned, cooked shrimp

Melt butter, add onion and green pepper and garlic. Cook until tender but
not browned. Stir in sour cream, lemon juice and seasonings, add shrimp.
Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until heated through. Serve
over hot rice.

Wayne
--
To reply remove "nospam" from my e-mail address.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will
be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow
our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler 1935

Some of our politicians today sound just like this mad man.

Gargoylle

Jun 7, 2001, 3:59:23 PM6/7/01
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 07:32:41 -0700, "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>In a word "CIOPPINO" - serve it with a nice bread (crusty is OK) for
>dipping.

Do you have a recipe you would mind posting? I've made it once, and
loved it. I seem to have lost the recipe I used, and nothing I've seen
since looks as good as the one I used.

>If you want to get fancy then serve a *small* portion of fettuccini Alfredo
>as a appetizer, and a sorbet for dessert.
>
>Dimitri

TIA

Gar_Newbie

Gargoylle

Jun 7, 2001, 3:59:57 PM6/7/01
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:27:39 GMT, "Pat" <g...@bestweb.net> wrote:

Damsel and I made this last weekend at the mini "Twin Cities Cook-in."
It's easy on the gums, and pleasant on the pallet. We made a batch of
Harry's world famous sauce. We served it with salad and bread. The
picture is good, but it tasted even better than it looked. Maybe Dams
will help me with the salad. We made a few, and I don't remember which
one we made that night <g>

Gar_Newbie

From here:

http://www.kocoaskitchen.com/recipes/Meats/Seafoods/Shrimp%20Stuffed%20Pasta%20Shells.html

Shrimp Stuffed Pasta Shells
serves 4

INGREDIENTS

16-20 jumbo pasta shells
3/4 pound shrimp, cooked
1 cup ricotta cheese
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup pecan pieces
2/3 cup parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-24 ounce jar of favorite pasta sauce

DIRECTIONS

Bring large stock pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons
salt to season pasta shells. Cook for 10
minutes, drain in a colander and let cool down for at least
10 minutes.

While pasta shells are cooling preheat the oven to 350ºF and
make the stuffing. With a fork, whip
the ricotta, cream and gorgonzola cheeses until smooth.
Blend in the pecans, parsley, orange zest
and shrimp. Stuff the jumbo shells and lay in a casserole
dish. Do not stack shells on top of each
other. Spoon pasta sauce over top of shells and sprinkle
with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20
minutes and serve immediately.

MS

Jun 7, 2001, 5:11:49 PM6/7/01
In article <L1GT6.746$7d.1...@newshog.newsread.com>, g...@bestweb.net
says...

FISH & SHRIMP PIE

6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 eggs
2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano
1 lemon, juiced
1 heaped teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 lb tilapia, haddock or fresh cod fillet sliced into strips
12 medium size shrimp, deveined
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Nutmeg (optional)

- Place the eggs in cold water in a small sauce pan over high heat. Bring
to a rapid boil then cover the pan and remove from the heat. The eggs
will be done in 15 minutes. Cool under cold water then peel. Slice, chop
or grate the eggs and set aside.

- Start boiling the potatoes.

- Steam/microwave the spinach, let cool then squeeze any excess moisture
away.

- Fry the onion and carrot in olive oil until tender. Add the heavy cream
and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add cheese, lemon
juice, mustard and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

- Turn the oven on and preheat to 450 F.

- Drain and mash the potatoes with a little olive oil, season with salt,
pepper and nutmeg. You want a fluffy mash so don't use butter or milk.

- Place fish strips and shrimp in an oven dish (9" x 14" or so will do),
cover with the steamed spinach and the sliced/chopped/grated eggs. Pour
over the creamy carrot sauce. Spread the mashed potatoes on top and place
in the oven (middle rack) for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are
golden.

Suggested accompaniment: mixed greens salad with mustard vinaigrette.

(If you wish, use ramekins to make individual pies. This recipe yields
six portions).

HTH,

Drempt

To send private mail, get the net out.

Pat

Jun 7, 2001, 7:51:34 PM6/7/01
Thank you all for so many great suggestions - now I am confused as to which
to do but have many ideas. I think when you feel "forced" to serve
something your mind goes blank. Thanks for sharing.
Pat

M. Smith

Jun 7, 2001, 9:02:10 PM6/7/01

"Pat" <g...@bestweb.net> wrote in message

A savory souffle would be a good choice that is very gourmet but not often
seen these days. Just had a cheddar and asparagus souffle last week that
served as the main entree (our college aged son is thinking about becoming
vegetarian.)

Fish quenelles in a mushroom cream sauce would be another choice. Again not
often seen, but very delicate and it gets you out of the pasta/potato
doldrums. However, quenelles are not a dish to experiment with if you
haven't made them before.

There are a zillion poached fish recipes available in the many Julia Child
books on French cooking. There are wine reduced sauces, cream sauces, tomato
sauces and so on. Can be served with any number of potato, rice, couscous or
pasta dishes.

Bryan Forrest

Jun 7, 2001, 9:55:40 PM6/7/01
We had this the other night. While it makes a better appetizer than an
entree, it was very good!

Tuna Carapaccio

1/2 pound sushi grade tuna
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 t lemon juice
1 T spring onions
1 t soy sauce
1 T cilantro, finely chopped
pinch of salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
chopped parsley for garnish

Purchase an evenly thick piece of sushi grade tuna. Quickly sear it in a
very hot pan or a very hot grill, one minute per side. Wrap the tuna in
plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes. Take the frozen tuna,
unwrap it and slice with a sharp knife as thinly as possible. Cut the tuna
into a slice that will fit on a crostini or slice of bagette. Combine oil,
lemon juice, spring onion, soy sauce, cilantro, salt and pepper. Add the
tuna, tossing it in the marinade so that it is well covered. Marinate in the
refrigerator for 30 minutes or more. Place one piece on a crostini or
bagette slice. Garnish with a little chopped parsley and serve. Yield 24
crostinis.

Bryan

Arri London

Jun 7, 2001, 10:28:42 PM6/7/01

Bouilliabaise or the American version Cioppino. Serve with
lots of French or Italian bread...the patient can remove the
crust.

Dimitri

Jun 7, 2001, 10:53:39 PM6/7/01

"Gargoylle" <garg...@postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 07:32:41 -0700, "Dimitri" <Dimi...@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>

> >In a word "CIOPPINO" - serve it with a nice bread (crusty is OK) for
> >dipping.
>
> Do you have a recipe you would mind posting? I've made it once, and
> loved it. I seem to have lost the recipe I used, and nothing I've seen
> since looks as good as the one I used.

Sorry I have not used a recipe in years. I think the only "trick" to the
dish is when you are adding the shell fish (last) and for a short period of
time. Else you overcook the scallops and shrimp.

This looks a good as any it is from Epicurious: Although I like it as more
of a stew as opposed to a soup. Finally I do prefer to use red wine not
white.

Dimitri

CIOPPINO

(San Francisco-Style Seafood Soup)

Cioppino is San Francisco's answer to bouillabaisse and, like that famous
Provencal seafood soup, is made with a variety of the freshest fish
possible. In San Francisco the mixture included Dungeness crab, which adds a
unique flavor, but any regional crab will do. If crab is not available,
substitute another shellfish. No clams? Try mussels. The point is to treat
the following recipe as a guide and use whatever looks best in the market
the day you make the soup.

4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 bay leaf
a 28-to 32-ounce can whole tomatoes including juice, puréed coarse
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 pounds live hard-shelled crabs
12 small hard-shelled clams, scrubbed well
1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled, leaving tails and first joint intact
1/2 pound sea scallops
1 pound scrod or other white fish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

In a heavy kettle (at least 5 quarts) cook garlic in oil over moderate heat,
stirring, until pale golden. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
Add pepper flakes and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened. Add
vinegar and boil until evaporated. Add wine, oregano, and bay leaf and
simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tomato purée and tomato paste and bring to a boil.

Add crabs and clams and simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, checking often
and transferring clams as they open with tongs to a bowl (discard unopened
ones).

Transfer crabs with tongs to a cutting board and remove top shells, adding
any crab liquid to soup. Halve or quarter crabs (depending on size) and
reserve, with any additional liquid, in a bowl.

Add shrimp, scallops, and fish to soup and simmer, covered, 5 minutes, or
until seafood is just cooked through. Stir in gently crabs, their liquid,
and clams and sprinkle with parsley.

Serves 6.

Gourmet
March 1994

Damsel in dis Dress

Jun 7, 2001, 11:12:11 PM6/7/01
Gargoylle <garg...@postmaster.co.uk> wrote:

>Damsel and I made this last weekend at the mini "Twin Cities Cook-in."
>It's easy on the gums, and pleasant on the pallet. We made a batch of
>Harry's world famous sauce. We served it with salad and bread. The
>picture is good, but it tasted even better than it looked. Maybe Dams
>will help me with the salad. We made a few, and I don't remember which
>one we made that night <g>
>
>Gar_Newbie

Just a quick note ... this was a delicious dish. But, I would either cut way
back on the orange zest or leave it out entirely. My poor tastebuds kept
getting confused. They kept thinking it was dessert time.

Damsel_Oldie

--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Gargoylle

Jun 8, 2001, 8:52:23 AM6/8/01
On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:53:39 -0700, "Dimitri" <DIMI...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>Sorry I have not used a recipe in years. I think the only "trick" to the
>dish is when you are adding the shell fish (last) and for a short period of
>time. Else you overcook the scallops and shrimp.
>
>This looks a good as any it is from Epicurious: Although I like it as more
>of a stew as opposed to a soup. Finally I do prefer to use red wine not
>white.
>
>Dimitri

Thanks Dimitri.

The recipe looks similar. The one ingredient missing in all the
recipes I've seen is fennel seed. I'll just wing it as you do and see
what happens.

<Snip Recipe>

Gar

Harry A. Demidavicius

Jun 8, 2001, 8:17:02 PM6/8/01
On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:59:57 -0500, Gargoylle
<garg...@postmaster.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:27:39 GMT, "Pat" <g...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
>>Having friends overnight and dinner on Sunday. One just had extensive
>>dental work and it still limited to fish and pasta.
>>
>>They are gourment cooks so I hate being limited like this but
>>understand..Any suggestions?
>>
>>Pat
>>

>Damsel and I made this last weekend at the mini "Twin Cities Cook-in."
>It's easy on the gums, and pleasant on the pallet. We made a batch of
>Harry's world famous sauce. We served it with salad and bread. The
>picture is good, but it tasted even better than it looked. Maybe Dams
>will help me with the salad. We made a few, and I don't remember which
>one we made that night <g>
>
>Gar_Newbie

Well I was glad to be present in Spirit, or at least in the Sauce
Harry

Michelle

Jun 8, 2001, 9:49:53 PM6/8/01
MS <dre...@hotmailnet.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1589b8222...@news.bellatlantic.net>...

How about seafood fettucine alfredo?

Either buy prepared alfredo or make your own:
Alfredo:

> 2 cups half & half
> 1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
> 1/3 cup white wine
> about 1/4 cup of rioux ( equal parts flour and butter) t tighten
> about 1 cup of peeled and deveined shrimp (I prefer 16/20 size),
imitation crabmeat broken up and bay scallops
> fettucine cooked al dente (slightly firm)

simmer half & half white wine and grated cheese until cheese is
dissolved. Tighten to creamy consistency with riox. Season
with salt and pepper if necessary. In large saute' pan, saute together
all seafood in a little oil; preferably extra virgin. Toss with fettucine
and alfredo and if you desire about 2 tspn of crushed garlic.

Due to your friends dental condition I would suggest tiramisu as dessert
choice to compliment the meal.

contact me if you need a recipe...

Victor Sack

Jun 9, 2001, 7:53:44 AM6/9/01
Michelle <popsb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Either buy prepared alfredo or make your own:
> Alfredo:

Alfredo has been dead for many years. I don't think he was embalmed. I
suggest you substitute Lenin or Mao.

Victor

Harry A. Demidavicius

Jun 9, 2001, 8:58:21 PM6/9/01
On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:53:44 +0200, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de
(Victor Sack) wrote:

>Michelle <popsb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Either buy prepared alfredo or make your own:
>> Alfredo:

snip

>suggest you substitute Lenin or Mao.
>
>Victor

You have to watch your spelling, Victor - shouldn't that be
*Mayo*?

YH&OGS
[running and ducking]

Victor Sack