Good ideas for finger-food?

Anne Ehrenholm

Sep 13, 2001, 10:46:54 AM9/13/01
My friend is having a party to celebrate her masters degree in a few weeks,
and she has asked me for help with preparing good and fun finger-foods to
serve with the welcome drink. I know this group is a great resource for
awesome recipes (I lurk, but I don't post a lot) so I thought I'd ask! The
only requirements: it has to be cold, easy to eat, and small. Nothing messy,
nothing that requires more than a napkin. :)

/Anne in Sweden

GaryO

Sep 13, 2001, 1:48:47 PM9/13/01
anne...@student.liu.se (Anne Ehrenholm) wrote in message news:<9nqgrm$h74$2...@cubacola.tninet.se>...

The easiest is a variety of cheeses and crackers. Fontina, Edam,
Gouda come to mind.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

Dog 3

Sep 13, 2001, 4:10:49 PM9/13/01

"GaryO" <gary...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, and deviled eggs too.

Michael

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 13, 2001, 2:24:06 PM9/13/01
* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond-Stuffed Green Olives

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

20 ounces large pitted green olives -- rinsed and drained
1/2 cup whole almonds - blanched -- toasted and cooled
4 large garlic cloves -- sliced thin
1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 3/4 cups olive oil

Stuff olives with almonds and in a glass bowl combine with remaining
ingredients. Marinate olives, covered and chilled, at least 3 days and
up to 1 week. Let olives stand at room temperature 15 minutes before
serving.

"Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less but requires additional
unattended time."
Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"January 1996"
Yield:
"4 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cinnamon Pecans

Recipe By :Young Pecan Company
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers nuts

1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups pecan halves

Combine all ingredients. Dissolve sugar over medium heat. Add pecans
and continue to cook, stirring frequently. Cook until pecans are
completely sugared with no syrup left in pot. Spread on wax paper and
let cool.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lemon Tarragon Stuffed Eggs

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers eggs

6 large hard-boiled eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 large shallot -- minced
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest -- freshly grated
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh tarragon -- minced
fresh tarragon sprigs -- for garnish

Cut a paper-thin slice off both ends of eggs and halve eggs crosswise.
Force yolks through a sieve into a bowl (or mash with a fork) and stir
in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer filling
to a pastry bag fitted with a large decorative tip and pipe into whites,
mounding it. The stuffed eggs may be made 6 hours ahead and chilled.
Covered.

Just before serving, garnish eggs.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"April 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Stuffed Pepperoncini

Recipe By :Nancy Young
Serving Size : 28 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

3 slices bacon -- finely chopped
1/4 cup shallots -- minced
1/3 cup red pepper -- minced
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
2 teaspoons milk
20 ounces pepperoncini peppers -- drained

1. In nonstick 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat,
stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned. With slotted spoon,
transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon
bacon drippings.
2. In drippings in skillet, cook shallots and red pepper over medium
heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat.
3. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese and milk
until smooth. Add bacon and shallot mixture and beat until just
combined. Spoon cream cheese mixture into heavy-weight plastic bag with
corner cut to make a 1/4-inch opening.
4. With small knife, cut a slit lengthwise in each pepper, being careful
not to cut all the way through the peppers. Sqeeze cream cheese mixture
into peppers; cover and refrigerate up to one day.
5. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving to bring them up
to room temperature.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Source:
"Good Housekeeping"
Copyright:
"December 1997"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tortilla Roll-Ups

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : appetizers

6 ounces sour cream
4 ounces mild green chilies
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/4 cup olives (black or green) -- chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese -- shredded
garlic powder -- to taste
tabasco sauce -- to taste

Combine all ingredients.
Spread mixture on 2/3 of flour tortilla (8-inch).
Roll up , working toward the plain 1/3 of the tortilla.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Slice into approximately 3/4" slices.

Cuisine:
"Mexican"
Start to Finish Time:
"10:00"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : Serve with salsa.

st...@temple.edu

Sep 13, 2001, 2:30:48 PM9/13/01
Dog 3 <do...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Yes, and deviled eggs too.

Some salads might be nice too. Fruit salad, Caesar, etc.

Patrick Gorman

Sep 13, 2001, 2:53:48 PM9/13/01
"Dog 3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Tortilla pinwheels and marinated mushrooms are always a hit.

Mary

jammer

Sep 13, 2001, 3:36:16 PM9/13/01

Arlene Glaser
Parma, OH
39th Bake-Off® Contest, 2000
A suggestion that could be made as is or altered for size and taste.

Flaky Deli Slices

Ingredients:
1 (15-oz.) pkg. Pillsbury® Refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as
directed on package
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 lb. very thinly sliced cooked ham
1/4 lb. thinly sliced pepperoni
4 oz. (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation Directions:
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Remove crusts from pouches; unfold crusts.
Press out fold lines. Sprinkle each crust with Parmesan cheese.
2. Top each crust with ham, pepperoni and Cheddar cheese to within 1
inch of edges. Loosely roll up each crust. Place rolls seam side down
on ungreased cookie sheet. Fold ends under.
3. Bake at 450°F. for 12 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5
minutes. Cut each roll into 16 slices. Serve warm.

32 servings

NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
SERVING SIZE: 1/32 of Recipe
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 60

% DAILY VALUE
Total Fat 7 g 11 %
Saturated 3 g 15 %
Cholesterol 15 mg 5 %
Sodium 310 mg 13 %
Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 4 g

Vitamin A 0 % Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 4 % Iron 0 %

DIETARY EXCHANGES: 1/2 Starch, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 1/2 Fat
OR 1/2 Carbohydrate, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 1/2 Fat

Copyright ©2001 The Pillsbury Company

Other Pillsbury Sites--------------------Pillsbury.comMealtime
IdeasThe Doughboy Shopdoughboy.comGreen GiantHäagen-DazsProgresso
SoupClassic CookbooksCome & Eat!

Diana

Sep 13, 2001, 4:13:25 PM9/13/01
Since I can never trust my memory, I keep a list of ideas for different
occasions. Here's my finger food list:

Diana

Deviled eggs
Chicken skewers or coconut chicken with dip
Rumaki
Shrimp with cocktail sauce
Stuffed tomatoes
Baked brie
Cheese puffs
Cheese straws
Cheese coins with jalapeno jelly
Spinach dip
Crackers
Chocolate-dipped strawberries, cherries, kiwi
Cookies
Strawberries filled with cream cheese
Mini Buttered Croissant Sandwiches filled with Turkey Breast & Ham
Virginia Ham biscuits
Relish tray: Black and Green Olives, Dill and Sweet Pickles, Pickled Corn and
other
Veggie tray
Fruit & Cheese tray

Charles Demas

Sep 13, 2001, 10:24:46 PM9/13/01
In article <9nqgrm$h74$2...@cubacola.tninet.se>,

Melon and strawberry skewers. (bamboo skewers)

Oysters on half shells.

Stuffed eggs.

Shrimp and cocktail sauce.

Salami spread with cream cheese and rolled into tubes.

Salsa and chips.

Finger sandwiches.

Mini chocolate eclairs.

Baklava *(see my web page).

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Dog 3

Sep 14, 2001, 1:26:16 AM9/14/01

"Diana" <di...@texoma.net> wrote in message

> Since I can never trust my memory, I keep a list of ideas for different
> occasions. Here's my finger food list:
>
> Diana
>
> Deviled eggs
> Chicken skewers or coconut chicken with dip
> Rumaki
> Shrimp with cocktail sauce
> Stuffed tomatoes
> Baked brie
> Cheese puffs
> Cheese straws
> Cheese coins with jalapeno jelly
> Spinach dip
> Crackers
> Chocolate-dipped strawberries, cherries, kiwi
> Cookies
> Strawberries filled with cream cheese
> Mini Buttered Croissant Sandwiches filled with Turkey Breast & Ham
> Virginia Ham biscuits
> Relish tray: Black and Green Olives, Dill and Sweet Pickles, Pickled Corn
and
> other
> Veggie tray
> Fruit & Cheese tray

ROFL... now I call *this* organization. Should I... nah.... dammit Jill,
stop twisting my arm... ok, ok... I'll do it. Uh hmmm... Diana, would
you be so kind as to post ALL of those recipes =80)

Michael <- kidding of course

Anne Ehrenholm

Sep 14, 2001, 3:20:11 AM9/14/01
Thank you all very much - lots of good ideas, and I'll run them by my friend
who has the final say :)

take care
Anne in Sweden

Hanni

Sep 14, 2001, 3:48:36 AM9/14/01
In article <9nqgrm$h74$2...@cubacola.tninet.se>, Anne Ehrenholm says...

And boy are these ever good. Made them tonite and they are even good cold.

Ranch Sausage Stars

2 cups (1 lb.) cooked, crumbled sausage

1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar

1 1/2 grated Monterey Jack

1 cup ranch dressing

1 (2.25 ounce) sliced ripe olives

1/2 cup chopped bell pepper

1/2 red onion chopped

dime size ginger, chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 pkg frozen or fresh wontons

Preheat oven to 350ē. Saute vegtables and sausage till done. Brush each wonton wrapper with oil and place in greased or teflon muffin tin for 5 minutes at 350ē.

Fill baked cups with mixture and bake for 5 minutes more.

oh boy..guarenteed..pretty darn tasty..

pretty darn easy too..and did I say. pretty darn good cold too. (or did I just have too many drinks?)

Hanni

Regina Holt

Sep 14, 2001, 5:59:50 AM9/14/01
( snip a lot of good ideas) At
my church we usually wrap salad-type fillings in lettuce leaves when
salad is served at our monthly suppers. Easy, and carries some
nutrition. Leaf lettuce works the best we found,; it is simple to put a
portion of salad on the leaf wrap it , and skewer it with a short
bamboo skewer. As far something sweet
goes, tea cookies and petit fours are easier to manage than iindividual
portions of cake.
Congratulations to your friend, Anne. I hope this reception goes
perfetly for her. Gina