Hydogen Sulphide. A Happy Ending

Charlie

Mar 30, 2004, 8:09:17 AM3/30/04
A few weeks ago I posted a request for info on how to rid some wine of
H2S - the dreaded rotten egg smell. We had bottled last September and I
was expecting the worst.

Various opinions were given and I eventually went with the idea of
adding Copper Sulphate.

It worked. Thanks to all who helped - Ed Montforts, Charles H, Lum, Ed
Marks and others who e-mailed me as well. I have raised a toast to all
of you (and will continue to do so for 80+ bottles of now totally
drinkable Australian Shiraz)

For the benefit of anyone in the future that googles the group in search
of a similar problem, I will give a quick rundown of the process I
undertook.

I neeeded to do the operation in 2 batches as the only appropriate
container I had was a 30 litre plastic brew kit.

I emptied the bottles into the kit and added 2 - 3 teaspoons of 1% CuSO4
solution - made by adding 1/2 a teaspoon of the copper sulphate
pentahydrate crystals to 500 ml of water. The smell cleared instantly,
the effect was amazing. I sealed the container and left it overnight,
then the next day I re-filled the bottles (one less bottle was re-filled
as I left behind some dregs).

I added a bit of Sulphur Dioxide as the wine was exposed to a fair bit
of air. I don't envision the wine will be a long laster now, but that
will not be a problem as I intend to offer many more toasts to the group
in the near future.

Thanks again for the help offered. I can now go back to my role as
faithful lurker

Cheers

Charlie