OT cats and namesakes

1 view

Ginny Ellsworth

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
No Sarah, I named by son Corwyn after my cat. I had named the cat after
the character in a book "Nine Princes in Amber". The cat was amber
colored. Turns out so is the kid.

We did have a dog named "Boy" once though.

Ginny who?

Lois Frankel

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
My mother almost named me Pricilla. Instead, much later, she had a dog
who became Pricilla. When I was a child I had a cat named "Darling." He
was allowed outside (against my protests), and when I called him in, the
neighbors had a lot of fun!

--
Lois Frankel http://pluto.njcc.com/~lfrankel
lfra...@pluto.njcc.com (pix of cats, quilts, and antique sewing machines)

Any ideas you might think you find in this message are mine; any resemblance
to ideas of anyone else--real, imaginary, living, dead, employer, coworker,
friend, enemy, neighbor, spouse, pet, family member, insect, microorganism,
government, organization, extraterrestrial, or potted plant--is your fault!

BZQLTR

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
We had a cat named 'Dog' once. Dad said we couldn't have any more cats! Worse
yet, my sister took him back to play with his littermates and he came home a
she. Dad was not happy when 'Dog' had kittens!
Sherry- at the zoo

Krysia Thompson

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Nothing to do with cats, but...
Some time ago our DS - Michal (Polish for Michael) asked me why
he was named Michal - was it a family name? Someone famous,
handsome or brave. I avoided answering for a long time...
Eventually he cornered me, I took a deep breath and said: "How
shall I put it... you see that old teddy sitting in my little
sewing room?"....
The rest was as could be expected...
He seriously doubts his parents sanity...

Krysia
P.S. I came up with a credible answer after some serious thinking
- DH's grandfather was Michael. DS doesn't believe THAT story...
K.T. - starannie opakowana

Delete "remove" in Reply to address

Chris Ingle

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
In article <19990210121912...@ng127.aol.com>
bzq...@aol.com (BZQLTR) writes:

I had a friend in college who had a cat named "Adi", short for "Adios":
When she and her brother brought the cat home, her dad said, "You
better name her Adios, 'cause she's not staying long!" So they did,
and after 10 years, Katie's dad is Adi's favorite person! (It's
mutual, though dad won't admit it)

Cheers!

Chris

"It's one of the universal truths: All Texans eventually go home!" --
Julie Grubb

**See Abby and Cloey on my not-so-new homepage
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cxi3

rob...@fullnet.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
My DH and I also had a cat named Dog. He doesn't like cats. So, when
this one, who belonged to the neighbors, adopted us he named her dog.
She would usually come running when we whistled and she liked to
follow along when we walked somewhere in the neighborhood. We got her
the first summer we were married and she was about 6 months old. She
died 20 years later and we were devastated. She was our family - we
have no children.
About a year later we were adopted again - this time by an abused and
dumped 5-year-old cat who wandered up to the house one day and never
left. She took quite a while to trust us and still shies away
sometimes when approached directly. I named her Myrt - the name my
grandaddy called my grandmother Myrtle. The cat came along not very
long after my grandmother died.
Robin, so. IN

and she died on answered, usually, when we On 10 Feb 1999 23:32:31

DJRuthie

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

Our cat was named Maddog - named by my daugher when she was ten. Have no idea
how she came up with it but it certainly sparked a lot of conversation.
Dianne

remove nospam when replying

Merry Stahel

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Did she read Madeline L'Engle?

The Wrinkle In Time series has a character named Madog, in later
books.

Merry

Queen

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
My cat wasn't named dog. He was Ricky. I got him when he was 2 1/2
weeks old and fed him baby formula from an eye dropper and then baby
meat and vegetables. He was extremely spoiled as he was my whole life
when I got him at age 14.

Ricky grew up with my cocker spaniel and must have thought he was a
dog. He barked and growled at birds through the window. AND he was
very good at doing tricks - sitting up and begging and shaking hands.
He did put him foot down at "lie down and roll over" kind of tricks.
He lived 20 years and his photo is on my living room wall.

Take care!

Adelle
qu...@nospam.monmouth.com
(remove nospam to reply)

Queen

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
I almost forgot - Ricky was originally named Delilah (after the Tom
Jones song) but when I took HER to the vet for a checkup, he told me I
would have to change the cat's name. Being extremely sheltered and
naive at age 14, I thought there was some kind of rule against naming
a cat Delilah. It turned out SHE was a HE.

We now have a female cat named Ricky but she's a real pain in the
neck. We also have another female cat named Lassie. My daughter has
threatened to name her firstborn daughter after her. That's okay. Her
name is Bambi so why not name her daughter Lassie?

LizAnn

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
My cat has a name that never fails to raise eyebrows. When I moved
interstate as a teenager my aunt sent me a book of free-verse poetry
called 'Archy and Mehitabel' by Don Marquis. It is a book written by
Archy (a cockroach) about Mehitabel (a cat who was Cleopatra in a former
life) and her life. It is gorgeous and my cat is Mehitabel (Bel for
short). People always think I'm nuts and when I tell them about the
book it only gets worse.

Liz

Ms. Piglet

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
You just have to discuss it among the *right sort of people*<G>......what
bothers me about some names is that I end up showing my age....

Downright depressing how many people I have to *explain* the name "Skritch
Henderson" to, folks who are not old enough to know of Skitch
Henderson.....<eyeroll>

--
piglet (megan zurawicz)
Note: was pig...@ix.netcom.com, now mspi...@prodigy.net
LizAnn wrote in message <36C2F3BE...@wantree.com.au>...
<snipz>my cat is Mehitabel (Bel for

Queen

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:32:04 -0600, "Ms. Piglet"
<MSPI...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Skitch
>Henderson

I remember the name but I don't know why I remember it. I guess that
means I'm REALLY old enough, huh?

Nbhilyard

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing column in the
Chicago Tribune.
Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
going to be an exotic dancer). You take
the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
and the name of the street where you lived
when you had the dog.

I would be "Becky Whitfield." If the second
dog/street, I'd be "Butch Lincoln." Hmmmm.....
anyone else want to give this a try?

Nann
....DH would be "Nerry Fernwood".....

Kathy Camburn

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Mandy Greenlawn aka Mandy Townhill aka Muffin Hill.. What a hoot!!!!

Kathy in Grand Blanc, Michigan

Debra Roby

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
> > |Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
> > |contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
> > |going to be an exotic dancer). You take
> > |the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
> > |and the name of the street where you lived
> > |when you had the dog.

This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
make it as a name!

Neither would my current dog/street name when I got him:Woody Sherman.
Though that might work if I were trying to name a character for a novel
or something...

BTW, Woody is named after my favorite fictional character: Lazarus Long.

DH would be Tinker 46.

PiranhaBB

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
I would be Reno Nevada. Really. My mom's boyfriend named the dog (who
occasionally stayed at our house) before he knew us. I grew up on Nevada
Avenue.

We never had dogs, so if I used first cat, I would be Gordo Nevada. (BTW,
Gordo means Fatty.)

Best regards,

Lisa
(who is very happy with her current, non-stripper name)

nbennett

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Ok, just call me Frisky Hawkridge!

Nancy

Mudkat

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
I would be Cookie Clayton, Peanut Brightwood, Merfie Ridgemont,
and Sunny Byron.
Now, if I could name myself after my hermit crabs, I would be
Pepper, Kiwi, Hidey, Shelly, or Pearl.
This is fun, but I think I need to get out more...
Mudkat

Nbhilyard wrote in message
<19990211184852...@ng-fs1.aol.com>...
>All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing
column in the
>Chicago Tribune.

>Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
>contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
>going to be an exotic dancer). You take
>the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
>and the name of the street where you lived
>when you had the dog.

Deb

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
If I used my first dog's name, I'd be Butch Bootjack. With a name like
that, I'd have to be strippin' off leather! (Studded leather!!!) My very
first pet was a cat and would make me Tiger Hoffman.
--
Deb
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/4237/

Nbhilyard wrote ...

Susan Ford

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
I can't remember the streets of where my first several cats lived. The
earliest I can go back would get me Morris 46th Street. Doesn't sound right,
does it...:)

If I try now, I'd get either Rosie, Maggie, or Charlotte Franklin...

Susan

--
***
Susan Ford

"Today is not my day for the awesome responsibility of the brain."

Elizabeth Wilson

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
How about "Lassie North". Now that does hint of stripper, I think.
--
Liz Wilson

Never waste good agony!

Nbhilyard <nbhi...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990211184852...@ng-fs1.aol.com>...

DaFinn

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Ms. Piglet -- I know who Skitch Henderson is! I love the name Skritch!

Does anyone know who my cat "Sparkle Farkle" was named for??

Brita

Chris Ingle

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
In article <19990211184852...@ng-fs1.aol.com>
nbhi...@aol.com (Nbhilyard) writes:

> All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing column in the
> Chicago Tribune.
> Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
> contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
> going to be an exotic dancer). You take
> the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
> and the name of the street where you lived
> when you had the dog.
>
> I would be "Becky Whitfield." If the second
> dog/street, I'd be "Butch Lincoln." Hmmmm.....
> anyone else want to give this a try?
>
> Nann
> ....DH would be "Nerry Fernwood".....

I'd be Fritz Ashbury, DH would be either Crystal Stell or Whitey Stell!

This is fun!!!

Nancy Carroll

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
How about Bootsie Washington? :-D

Ms. Piglet

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Tonight show bandleader before Severinsen.<G>

Eighty years old and conducting still, somebody's pops orchestra (not
Boston), I have a videotape of his eightieth birthday concert...

Dunno where he went after the Tonite show and all the years in between, but
at one point he was the conductor for the Tulsa Symphony (early 70's?)

Ms. Piglet

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Heavens, that makes me almost on topic!

Buttons Exchange.

lol

LuEllen

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
OOh.OOh///<doing my Horshak !!! Sparkle Farkle was the daughter of the
family on Laugh-in. Right?
Dan Rowan and Dick Martin...a whole long story about the Faekle
family...Let's see...Frank Farkle....can't remember them all.
AND I remember Skitch Henderson....even Jack Parr before Johnny. Showing
my age, fer shure!
--
LuEllen in coastal NC

DaFinn <daf...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990211194615...@ng-ft1.aol.com>...

LuEllen

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
How about Willie Blue? Sounds like a porno star!!! LOL

--
LuEllen in coastal NC

Ms. Piglet <MSPI...@prodigy.net> wrote in article
<7a0rhu$20sa$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

Judy

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Omigawd! that would make me Lulu Lillipilly!!!
Judy (Qld, Aust)

TMMRR

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

I picture a tall Nordic looking woman in white furs, for some reason!

I'd be Tillie Lydia. Sounds like someone's spinster aunt!

-Tina R.

In article <01be5626$364b40c0$e7d500cf@wilson>, "Elizabeth Wilson"

TMMRR

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

I have the same problem at work - whenever I'm trying to encourage the "kids"
to keep up with what I'm saying, I say, "Come on, gang, let's sing along with
Mitch, here..." and get a roomful of blank looks.

-Tina R.
Duluth, GA

In article <79viih$3c3k$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Ms. Piglet"

PiranhaBB

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
You lived on Lillipilly Street? Where on earth was this? Oh,
Australia. They sure have some strange names down there.... <EG>

Lisa

Ellen in New England

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
<LOL> Mine isn't too interesting either. I would be Mr. Maple. <G> (Or Tammy
Maple)

Ellen

Ellen in New England

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Would work better if you had your street name, then pet name. <G>

Judy Schadt

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
I would be Susie Kinsman, Button Gypsy, or Hero Edgewood (Hero Edgewood?)

beglyfam

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

Ellen in New England <LNSOBS...@prodigy.net> wrote in article
<7a1cel$3f62$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

> <LOL> Mine isn't too interesting either. I would be Mr. Maple. <G> (Or
Tammy
> Maple)
>
> Ellen

Maybe we're related. I'd be Star Walnut. Or Chauncey Steubenville Pike.
Naw........think I'd better keep my day job <grin>

Singer

mdblo...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

nbhi...@aol.com (Nbhilyard) wrote:
> All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing column in the
> Chicago Tribune.
> Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
> contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
> going to be an exotic dancer). You take
> the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
> and the name of the street where you lived
> when you had the dog.

Fluffy Point-of-Rocks? Uh ... I don't think so ....

Paula in Colorado

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Just call me:
Pywackett North Fork Big Thompson
(I lived on the north fork of the Big Thompson river in the
Rocky Mountains and was a big fan of the movie Bell, Book
& Candle)

Paula in Colorado
http://www.oneimage.com/~dennee

Nbhilyard wrote in message <19990211184852...@ng-fs1.aol.com>...

>All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing column in the
>Chicago Tribune.
>Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
>contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
>going to be an exotic dancer). You take
>the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
>and the name of the street where you lived
>when you had the dog.

Kathy Morris

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Okay, lets see, I would either be DeeDee Bartlett, (first dog) or
Clarissa Bartlett, (first cat). I had them both at the first time.
Either one works well for a stripper name, don't ya think?

+Kathy Morris
kmo...@mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~mckenna_morris

JudyAversa

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Debra Roby wrote:

> This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
> make it as a name!

Think that's bad...I'd be Blackie Bishop...Sounds like a character from The Godfather!
Judy...I've seen this before...on another newsgroup?
--

.-., ,.-.
'-. /:::\\ //:::\ .-'

--

.-., ,.-.
'-. /:::\\ //:::\ .-'

Monique Reed

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
I would be Schnitzel 43-E3. (We lived on an Air Force base in Germany, and I
don't think there was a street name, just a building and apartment number.)

Guess I'd make a lousy stripper.

Monique

Kathy and Kim Treat

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
I'd be Tracy Hollins. I think that's rather classy, don't you? We were
living in HL Mencken's house in Baltimore- it was owned by the University
where I was going. They don't rent it out to students any more, though.

Kathy Treat, Kensington MD

Susan Ford

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Sounds like a male stripper's name to me... :) Or is that Big Johnson...?

GARZA

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Hey, I guess that would make me Bippy Eastbrook. Even I am laughing at that
one!

Karen on the Hill

Debra Roby wrote:

> [...]

Florence Davis

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Judy,
Turn it around --Bishop Blackie --and isn't it a character out of
Andrew Greeley's novels?

JudyAversa wrote:

> > This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
> > make it as a name!

DaFinn

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
>Laugh-in. Right?
>Dan Rowan and Dick Martin...a whole long story about the Faekle
>family...Let's see...Frank Farkle....can't remember them all.

Yup, the Farkle Family -- there was Simon and Gar Farkle, but I don't
rememberanyone else besides Sparkle Farkle. That goes back aways... Goldie
Hawn was just a child. Sigh, so was I...

Brita

Christine Thresh

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
My name would be:

Foxie La Bolsita

I think that is perfect for an exotic dancer.
--
Christine Thresh
http://www.winnowing.com/

JudyAversa <mont...@world.std.com> wrote in article
<36C47CD9...@world.std.com>...

> > This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
> > make it as a name!
>
> Think that's bad...I'd be Blackie Bishop...Sounds like a character from
The Godfather!
> Judy...I've seen this before...on another newsgroup?
> --
>
> .-., ,.-.

> '-. /:::\\ //:::\ .-'
> '-.\|':':' `"` ':':'|/.-'
> `-./`. .-=-. .-=-. .`\.-`
> /=- / | \ -=\
> ; | | | ;
> |=-.|______|______|.-=|
> |== \ 0 /_\ 0 / ==|
> |= /'---( )---'\ =|
> \ \: .'. :/ /
> `\= '--` `--' =/'
> jgs `-=._ _.=-'
> `"""`

> > This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
> > make it as a name!
> >

> > Neither would my current dog/street name when I got him:Woody Sherman.
> > Though that might work if I were trying to name a character for a novel
> > or something...
> >
> > BTW, Woody is named after my favorite fictional character: Lazarus
Long.

> > DH would be Tinker 46.

beglyfam

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Actually, Bishop Blackie is a character in many of Andrew Greeley's novels.

Singer

JudyAversa <mont...@world.std.com> wrote in article
<36C47CD9...@world.std.com>...

JBQUILTOK

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
>Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
>contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
>going to be an exotic dancer). You take
>the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
>and the name of the street where you lived
>when you had the dog.

That would make me Rebel Clinton. First, my DH would disown me. Then I'd get
fired from my Federal job for impersonating the boss.

Janet

mgm...@ecn.ab.ca

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Mike Okalta Lease #? Sounds like a code name for a new drilling site. <g>

I'm an "oil patch brat" and lived on oil leases until I was 8 yo. *Not* a
good background for this game, I'm afraid. A few years later, it could
have been "Old Nick Devon", a rather sleazy-sounding charactor, to be
sure. <giggle>

Cheers,

--
MagsRags
mgm...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Judy

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Lillypilly is one of our beautiful creamy -white flowing native
trees...gets edible red berries, too! We purposely make up strange names to
attract American tourists, who come to see if we are as strange as we sound
! (VBEG) :-))
Judy (Caboolture, Qld, Aust)

Queen

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:52:57 +1000, "Judy" <ju...@one.net.au> wrote:

>Lillypilly is one of our beautiful creamy -white flowing native
>trees...gets edible red berries, too! We purposely make up strange names to
>attract American tourists, who come to see if we are as strange as we sound

I heard you have some type of creature in Australia which hides in the
trees and attacks only American tourists. I can't remember the name
but they were talking about it several years ago on the Australian
culture ng.

Take care!

Adelle
qu...@nospam.monmouth.com
(remove nospam to reply)

Queen

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
I would be Bobby Richard but if I used my last dog, I would be
Gigi Appleby. I can just hear the sound of "Hey Big Spender" now.

Queen

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
My daughter heard the saying, "My parents weren't exactly Ozzie and
Harriet," on tv once and she hadn't a clue what they were talking
about. They said it again on my soap yesterday. I can't believe they
had a 20-something character say that. I just don't think it's
realistic.

Judy

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
VBEG! You've heard about our drop bears!!
Judy the Aussie in Caboolture

Queen wrote in message >I heard you have some type of creature in Australia

which hides in the
>trees and attacks only American tourists. I can't remember the name
>but they were talking about it several years ago on the Australian
>culture ng.

Cher Ann Holt-fortin

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
I'd be Beethoven Maple.

Cher
Through the mere revelation of the word "Fashioner," issuing forth
from His lips and proclaiming His attribute to mankind, such power is
released as can generate, through successive ages, all the manifold arts,
which the hands of man can produce.
Baha'u'llah

Cher Ann Holt-fortin

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
I think Lulu Lillipilly wins.

drm...@mindspring.com

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
OK, since I'm a vet, I get to hear all kinds of pet names. Over the
years, there have been lots of strange ones (including lots of
boy-turned-girl and vice versa, when the owners find out they guessed
wrong!) Here are some of my personal favorites:

Ratboy (cat)
Diddybite (Vizla)
Wuss (my own cat)
Dogbreath (mixed breed dog)
Red Baron (red poodle0
Bowtie (Persian)
Ashes and Cinder (kittens born in a fireplace)
Mungo Jerry (cat)
Banshee (Border Collie)
Deogee (OK, say it aloud slowly, get it now? actually, I"ve seen at
least 4 of this name)
Suitcase (lab puppy carried by owner to work each day in a suitcase)

I also have to include one of my other cats: Phoenix, who was burned
as a kitten, and "rose out of the ashes" but a friend actually helped
me name her, and anyway, we now call her Squirrel mostly. Loved the
name Phoenix, but she looks just like a grey squirrel, cause she has
no ears!

I love to ask clients why they named their pet something, and love
especially hearing about literary references, or foreign language
names. Then, there's my brother, who named the kittens I gave him,
...BW (black and white) and Blackie. so original!

Karen, who named her son after a soap opera character!

Susan Ford

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Mom made fun of my cat names when I was a kid, so I've named them people
names ever since them, but I try to pick not so common people names. Some
I've had:

Morris, Ivan, Igor, Gomez, Ingrid, Jake, Boris, Seamus, Charlotte, Emily
(bronte sisters), Felix, and the list goes on...

Some of those kid names were:

blackie, whitey, kitty, tippy, and Sherman. Well, I named Sherman after a
nieghbor bully (the cat was mean) and told his mother WHY I named the cat
after her kid... mom was so embarrased.. :)

Susan

drm...@mindspring.com wrote:

sarah curry

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Nbhilyard wrote:

> All this business about naming cats reminds me of an amusing column in the
> Chicago Tribune.
> Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you
> contrive your stripper name (that is, if you were
> going to be an exotic dancer). You take
> the name of your first dog (but a cat would do)
> and the name of the street where you lived
> when you had the dog.
>
> I would be "Becky Whitfield." If the second
> dog/street, I'd be "Butch Lincoln." Hmmmm.....
> anyone else want to give this a try?
>
> Nann
> ....DH would be "Nerry Fernwood".....

And, of course, I LOVE this stuff (but don't end up with a very good
name):
Dog/street = Sally Thorp
Cat/street = Lily Thorp (getting better)
Dog2/street2 = Murphy Permian
Cat2/street2 = Misty Permian

My STREETS are clearly my problem
Grins,
Sairey

sarah curry

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

And then, there's my goofy friend Jess, who named his new puppy (I got
this on the phone -- the vet didn't, when Jess filled out the form), as
it's prohounced, "shu-THEED" ... but it's spelled, let's see ...
S-H-I-T-H-E-A-D ...
Grins,
Sairey (who's volunteered to take ShuTHEED to "charm school", since
she's probably gonna weigh somewhere between 70-90#, and doesn't plan to
have this really NICE puppy knock her down :-) )

Queen

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:30:11 +1000, "Judy" <ju...@one.net.au> wrote:

>VBEG! You've heard about our drop bears!!

Yes, that's them! We need to import some to attack the tourists who
invade the New Jersey Shore in the summer. Can you email some over
here, please?

Judy

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Sorry Adelle,
They have become a protected species and I cannot get an export licence!
The biggest colony of these critters is now up north, terrifying Japanese
tourists visiting the Daintree and Kakadu National Parks. I believe they
had their fill of Americans during the R&R periods of the Vietnam war, and
wanted Asian food in their diets for a change! (VBG)

Judy (Queensland, Aust)

Ellison

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Howdy!
Well, Doc, I name the animals for the way they look.
My blue pt. Siamese used to bob her head up & down before
pouncing, so she got named Bobbin' .
Hairy was the guinea pig, and he was. Our dog Freckles
had them all over her nose.
Dusty, the Siamese mix, is that color and about as
controllable as the dust, too. <g>
I want to be able to remember the animal's name when I see them!
When I was in high school, constant companion dog,
a lovely black Cockapoo, was named Scratch. <g>
--
Ragmop
http://home.att.net/~Ellison-Texas
drm...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<36c4dd9d...@news.mindspring.com>...

Chris Ingle

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Hi y'all!

Just got back a little while ago from a S.E.X. trip with Marissa . . .
we went to JoAnn's to pick out fabric for my Judyquilt.

And fabric I did buy -- lots of it!! I don't usually buy fabric for
specific projects; I like a scrappy look myself. And the patterns I
bought tonight aren't what I would choose for myself, but they just
screamed Judy's name at me, which is great since the quilt is for her!
I also bought a "Shape Cut" on the recommendation of several people
here (it was on sale), and a big bag of Warm & Natural, which was half
price. So I'm checked out for my newest (and sure to be my fastest)
project. I stayed focused, too, and bought only what I needed . . .
very rare!

I'm gonna make a Rail Fence, approx. 60x70, by the pattern in "The It's
Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" (yep, Ragmop, I finally got it! Had
to special order), which uses 2 darks, 2 meds, and one light fabric. I
already washed and dried it, and am going to cut strips tomorrow.
Hopefully I will also start sewing tomorrow, too! I decided to tie it,
for speediness' sake.

Speaking of "The It's Okay . . ." -- what a fabulous book!

Cheers!

Chris

"It's one of the universal truths: All Texans eventually go home!" --
Julie Grubb

**See Abby and Cloey on my not-so-new homepage
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cxi3

Ellison

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Howdy!
Hooray, for the S.E.X. trip, and for getting The Book!
I love "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by
Mary Ellen Hopkins. She just makes it all so easy,
a matter of squares and triangles. (Did I mention I love
geometry? <g>)
Good for you, Chris, and for Marissa, too...did she
get anything?
--
Ragmop -- I picked up a couple of yards of fabric on
visit to in-laws today, south of Ft.Worth; one is
http://home.att.net/~Ellison-Texas

aqu...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:55:55 -0700, sarah curry <scu...@zianet.com>
wrote:

>And, of course, I LOVE this stuff (but don't end up with a very good
>name):
> Dog/street = Sally Thorp
> Cat/street = Lily Thorp (getting better)
> Dog2/street2 = Murphy Permian
> Cat2/street2 = Misty Permian
>
>My STREETS are clearly my problem
> Grins,
> Sairey
Streets seem to be my problem too,

Sylvester Cemetary Road (cat)
Lizzy Cemetary Road (dog)
Anna Belle
Palm Bay FL

JudyAversa

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
So I'll have to use my present kitty's name: Dusty Montrose! Sounds like a
soap character to me!
Judy

JudyAversa

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Fluffy Point isn't so bad!!
Judy

mdblo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Fluffy Point-of-Rocks? Uh ... I don't think so ....

JudyAversa

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Andrew Greeley-is he the priest? I forget, it's not the type novel I read.
Funny, though. How's Zipper Ferry sound?! (my second kind of inherited dog- he
came with the apartment! My FIL's watch dog...I didn't name him!!)
Judy

Lane

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
I'd be Tootsie Glenn<G>
Toni in Baks

Ellen in New England

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
My in-laws live at the Jersey Shore... WHERE ARE YOU? Maybe if you're close
enough, I can look you up.

Sarah...where on the map is she? <G>

Ellen

Queen

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:16:38 +1000, "Judy" <ju...@one.net.au> wrote:

>I believe they
>had their fill of Americans during the R&R periods of the Vietnam war, and
>wanted Asian food in their diets for a change! (VBG)

I can understand that well as I have lately become addicted to
feasting at the Chinese buffet restaurants that have sprung up in
every town around me. I'd better stop, though, or I won't be able to
fit in the booths soon.

Jane McCLure

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
I agree with you for naming an animal by the way they look.
I have a seal point Himilayan, when she looks at you, she looks like she
has an "Attitude" so we named her Miss Attitude, aka Attie.
Jane

Marissa Vignali

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Ellison wrote:

> Howdy!
> Hooray, for the S.E.X. trip, and for getting The Book!
> I love "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by
> Mary Ellen Hopkins. She just makes it all so easy,
> a matter of squares and triangles. (Did I mention I love
> geometry? <g>)
> Good for you, Chris, and for Marissa, too...did she
> get anything?
> --
What do you think Ragmop? My idea was to get three yards of the 2000 fabric I
want for the backing of my MQ. They had never seen it. So I started
wondering.. I found a wonderfull splotchy yellow orange and a golden brown
leafy thing that will be incorporated into my mom's fall quilt. Got half a
yard of each, but one was the end of the bolt so I got that too at half price.
I also bought a baggie with three ladybugs... I am going to glue one to my MQ
and it will be the Y2K bug. I got a red Pigmapen to make more colourful
signature blocks and labels, a crib sized all cotton batting that was just 3
bucks, and a beautiful eggplant solid (two yards) to substitute for the black
that the fall leaves quilt calls for. See, yellow and black are the colours of
my dad's enemy soccer team... he wouldn't let my mom display this quilt in the
house if at any point the yellow touched the black! I think that was all... 24
bucks, not bad... and I am getting some of the fabric Chris bought for the
backing of the quilt...
Marissa Vignali mg...@psu.edu

Ellison

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Howdy!
That's my girl!! <g>
I like the sound of the eggplant color used around the
autumn leaves; very dramatic, and much more interesting
than black.
Sounds like a great s.e.x.pedition!
--
Ragmop --feeling like a big sister to Marissa <g>
http://home.att.net/~Ellison-Texas

Jane Greaves

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
> I agree with you for naming an animal by the way they look.
> I have a seal point Himilayan, when she looks at you, she looks like she
> has an "Attitude" so we named her Miss Attitude, aka Attie.

this is completely off-track, but.... I just bought one of those little
bean-bag dogs that Hush Puppies sell in shoe stores - very cute, big eyes
and floppy ears!

anyway, I was waving it at my other half going 'wroof! wroof!'... and at
the same time the tv was on with the Clinton trial in the Senate where one
of the lawyers was called Mr Ruff....

So now this poor little thing is called 'Articles of Impeachment'.

Am I losing it or what???
:)
Jane

Lenore Lawrence

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
What great names!! Our latest rescue job is Tyson. My 11 yo DS found him
wandering around school and brought him home in his backpack, while riding
his bike. The kitten got so unnerved, he managed to get half-way out of
the thing and bit DS on the ear. He immediately earned the moniker after
the boxer. DS looks at me funny when I call him Evander.

But, this new cat only sleeps on NEW fabric! He likes new quilts in
bedrooms too. Doesn't like me too much since I put him in that carrier and
took him for his little operation and shots. He's definitely attached to
the kids.

Happy quilting,

Lenore

Ginny Ellsworth <gell...@mailer.fsu.edu> wrote in article
<7a7jm2$mr1$1...@news.fsu.edu>...
> Well my kids are Samuel Tycho Johnson and Corwyn Alexander Johnson.
> Samuel -- my dad
> Tycho -- Danish astonomer
> Johnson -- my DH's last name
>
> Corwyn -- my cat Cory
> Alexander -- doctor who saved Sam's life
> Johnson --again for DH
>
> But the cats are Kepler after Johannes Kepler, astonomer, Toby who was
> prenamed when we got him, and Sinclair the large. Sinnie's name is a long
> story. To make it short: Sinnie looks like Kyle's wife Allison. Kyle is a
> friend of my husband. They came to our wedding. My mom (who is nuts)
> thought Allison's name was Sinclair. So, we named the cat after Allison.
> But, because we thought that she might be insulted, we used the name
> Sinclair.
>
> Other cats have included Lovable Truly, Elliot (after T.S.), Oliver
> (Disney film), Carlos (after a friend of my dad's who ate a ton of food),
> Rosemary, Keighley, Corwy, Butterfly, Blackie, Patches, Diamond, Domino,
> Cinders, Scratches, Licorice, Kit and Kaboodle (KK), etc. etc. etc.
>
> Ginny
>
> PS. A friend had a cat named E O, after the police song "Every Little
> Thing". The chorus was EO, EO, EO. too weird for me.

SkiingRN1

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
My parakeets names are Big Blue and Apple. Yes, they are blue and apple
colored but that's not why we named them that. We named them that because they
fight like IBM and Apple. :o)

My dog's name is Bandit because he used to steal our socks, etc. to get our
attention when he was a puppy.

Brenda in rural Ca whose daughter wanted to name her lamb Lambchop but changed
her mind after discovering that lots of sheep have that name.

TMMRR

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

And ya know, folks, oddly enough, that fits her!

(It would be a very classy strip tease - she'd be reading aloud from the
classics all the while!)

-Tina R.
Duluth, GA

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.990213...@panther.Gsu.EDU>, Cher Ann
Holt-fortin <eng...@panther.Gsu.EDU> writes:

>I'd be Beethoven Maple.
>
>Cher

Cher Ann Holt-fortin

TMMRR

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

LOL! Yeah, I guess I'd have trouble at my age keeping up with the end of the
9th!

-Tina R

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.99021...@panther.Gsu.EDU>, Cher Ann

Jacie

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99

I'd be Baskerville Landmark (dog) or Milo Landmark (cat)
Jacie

ja...@aol.com

sarah curry

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
TMMRR wrote:

Snorted all over my keyboard, of course (you KNEW I would, Tina :-) ).
I can see it all, now (with NO apologies to Cher, of course :-) )

[begins behind rostrum]
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow ...
[slinks from behind rostrum, removes elbow-length lace mitt, BUMP]
Creeps in this petty pace
[removes other elbow-length lace mitt, GRIND]
From day to day
[removes REAL pearls, drops them gracefully into Will's lap]
To the last syllable ...
[swirl of golden tassels, BUMP]
Of recorded time
[removes Elizabethan ruff, tassels swinging in opposite directions,
synchronized, SLITHER]
.
.
.
... Full of sound and fury
[removes high-heeled slipper after noisy tapdance]
Signifying nothing.
[ now wearing pretty much nothing ... crowd at the Globe -- uh- "lears"
...]

Duckin' and runnin', now, Cher!
Sairey

drm...@mindspring.com

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
OK, mine would be Dutchess Diamond Head.

BTW, I saw this on the TV show Will and Grace a few months ago.
Karen

MissyMelo

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Now who would want to go see a stripper named Shaggy Kamehameha? ! I'd be
penniless!

Dhavalya Kandiah

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Kauai?

Vachi

Merry Stahel

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
You also are supposed to take the first pet's name and your mother's
MAIDEN name to get your stripper name.

Ergo - I would be Whiplash West. Pretty good name for a stripper.....

Merry

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:04:10 -0800, Debra Roby <deb...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>This isn't fair!!! My "name" would be Prince E.254th. Just doesn't
>make it as a name!
>

>Neither would my current dog/street name when I got him:Woody Sherman.
>Though that might work if I were trying to name a character for a novel
>or something...
>
>BTW, Woody is named after my favorite fictional character: Lazarus Long.
>
>DH would be Tinker 46.

Merry Stahel, Editor, CALICO TRAILS
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania - wish it were the West!!
sta...@ezonline.com
http://www.ezonline.com/stahel/index.html
http://members.aol.com/hfur/calindex.html

Teresa Creech

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Merry Stahel wrote:

> You also are supposed to take the first pet's name and your mother's
> MAIDEN name to get your stripper name.

Puppy Gilbert :-)

Teresa in Colorado

Cher Ann Holt-fortin

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Sarah, I don't think I can do that to Bethoven's 9th.
But suggest some other music and I could have a new career.

JudyAversa

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
sarah curry wrote:
Best name I ever heard was a large black Great Dane...named Eric Shawn...(Say
it several times fast!)
Judy

> And then, there's my goofy friend Jess, who named his new puppy (I got
> this on the phone -- the vet didn't, when Jess filled out the form), as
> it's prohounced, "shu-THEED" ... but it's spelled, let's see ...
> S-H-I-T-H-E-A-D ...
> Grins,
> Sairey (who's volunteered to take ShuTHEED to "charm school", since
> she's probably gonna weigh somewhere between 70-90#, and doesn't plan to
> have this really NICE puppy knock her down :-) )

Elainejr

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
>..named Eric Shawn...(Say
>it several times fast!)

Why Miss Sarah, I'm shocked!!! NOT!!

Elaine

Tiggrrr

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Gee, I'd be Athena Johnson...the first name could work, but the last name
would be a bit mundane. Or if you really want the first dog's name, I'd be
Baron BenCliff Drive...don't think so. After that we had Rookie making me
Rookie Rt. 1, again, don't think that would work.

Tiggrrr

Merry Stahel wrote in message <36d19898...@news.ezonline.com>...

>You also are supposed to take the first pet's name and your mother's
>MAIDEN name to get your stripper name.

bogus address

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

> Mary Smich wrote about a game in which you contrive your stripper
> name (that is, if you were going to be an exotic dancer). You
> take the name of your first dog (but a cat would do) and the name
> of the street where you lived when you had the dog.

Thomas Sugworth? Doesn't look to me like the right image for a Full
Monty billing.

---> email to "jc" at this site: email to "jack" or "bogus" will bounce <---
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data and recipes,
freeware logic fonts for the Macintosh, and Scots traditional music resources

sarah curry

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Merry Stahel wrote:

> You also are supposed to take the first pet's name and your mother's
> MAIDEN name to get your stripper name.
>
> Ergo - I would be Whiplash West. Pretty good name for a stripper.....
>
> Merry

Sigh. I STILL better keep my day-job ...

Sally Wildman?

Grins,

Sarah (who just realized that her very FIRST pet was a kitten, named
because his ear was just the same size as my big toe ... so it would be
TOE Wildman? ... Yeah, THAT'll bring 'em in, in droves ...)

sarah curry

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Cher Ann Holt-fortin wrote:

> Sarah, I don't think I can do that to Bethoven's 9th.
> But suggest some other music and I could have a new career.
>
> Cher

Silly Gurrrlll!
You could start with DeBussy in the beginning (something slow, like
"prelude to the afternoon of a faun" (BUMP), then something light and
fiesty (Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy", from
"Nutckracker" ) (GRIND -- a great juxtasposition, doncha think?). Crank
it up a notch with Ravel's "Bolero" (TWIRL them tassels!). Go WILD with
Dukas' "Sorcerer's Apprentice" (tassels have, ah, disappeared). For the
NOTHING ... back to Tchaikovsky -- the DARKEST part of "Pathetique"
Grinnin',
Sairey (who removed The Kingston Trio from the CD for this, and before
that, there was a bit of Buffett, and George Strait (AAAAADelida!), and
the Canadian Brass and a Nat "King" Cole album, and Mozart's 4 Horn
Concertos (I do like the brass) ... and has also been known, on RARE
occasions, to try to show off a little bit :-) )

sarah curry

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

*I* didn't say it -- I just reported it! (and it wasn't Eric Shawn,
either :-) )
Grins,
Sairey

Chris Ingle

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
In article <7a5ii3$q...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>
"Ellison" <Elliso...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Howdy!
> Hooray, for the S.E.X. trip, and for getting The Book!
> I love "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" by
> Mary Ellen Hopkins. She just makes it all so easy,
> a matter of squares and triangles. (Did I mention I love
> geometry? <g>)
> Good for you, Chris, and for Marissa, too...did she
> get anything?
> --

Of *course* she did, silly! And some really great stuff, too; nice and
colorful.

It turns out that I waaaaaay overbought for the Judyquilt . . . I cut
the strips on Sunday (BTW, I adore that shape cut thing! First time
ever that my strips have turned out straight and not wavy), and I had
tons left over. Yep, this is a hint, my moppy friend! Hope you like
flowers . . .

Chris

Cheers!

Chris

"It's one of the universal truths: All Texans eventually go home!" --
Julie Grubb

**See Abby and Cloey on my not-so-new homepage
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cxi3

Ellison

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Howdy!
And I hope you still have my address. <g>
Over-bought? Don't you love when that happens?
<BG>
Thanks!
--
Ragmop