Not OT: Idiot Insurance Adjuster

crzy...@aol.com

Dec 26, 2005, 8:54:24 AM12/26/05
Just got back the first copy of the inventory with what insurance is
willing to pay for losses due to fire.

I'd listed about 8 yds of Xst linen at $55/yd. He went to Joannes.com
and saw that "fabric" is $5.99 a yard and that is all he wants to pay!

Yeah, right!!!!

I'm emailing him a link to nordic needle so he can see what the fabric
I lost actually costs. I'm so irritated, I lost at least 6 WIPs, three
completed projects (including MLI's Fairy Grandmother, which was not
cheap materials wise) and then I see my stash devalued like this?

Caryn

Karen E

Dec 26, 2005, 9:08:07 AM12/26/05

Good luck, Caryn. I have a friend who had a house fire a couple of years
ago and lost a fair bit of her needlepoint stash to smoke damage. She
never got anywhere near the replacement value on any of it. She was told
that she could get her bolt of canvas cleaned, the threads cleaned, etc.
That smell was never coming out of her stash and she knew it but the
adjustor wouldn't hear otherwise. Again, good luck with this. I hope you
come out of it better than my friend did.

Karen E.

crzy...@aol.com

Dec 26, 2005, 9:16:37 AM12/26/05

Luckily everything in the master suite of the house was considered a
total loss, so the adjuster isn't expecting us to rescue any of it. I
just need him to see that $6/yd isn't the right cost.

Caryn

Pat P

Dec 26, 2005, 9:56:13 AM12/26/05

<crzy...@aol.com> wrote in message

Stupid and impractical as it sounds, I suppose that the only answer is to
keep receipts for everything you buy! Oh yeah?!!! Stick in there, Caryn -
don`t let them get away with it.

Pat P

Susan Hartman

Dec 26, 2005, 10:39:17 AM12/26/05

A thought, Caryn -

Even if you didn't buy all the fabric at Nordic Needle (I don't know if
you did, or are just using the website as a reference tool), if you're
on their mailing list or a semi-regular customer you might ask how far
back they keep customer records. If you can show the insurance adjustor
that you're a regular customer there, he/she might realize that you're
not just trying to pull a fast one and overvaluing your stash. (Not that
you have to show records of every transaction, but you might be able to
establish that you are known to Nordic Needle.)

NN might also have an in-house listing of materials lists/costs for some
of the large projects (for example, MLI's Fairy Grandmother) if they
regularly pack up the project for customers. Or MLI might have that info
already to hand. That might save you some time and effort.

Think of it as an education process for the adjustor!

Sue

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com

Karen C - California

Dec 26, 2005, 4:18:52 PM12/26/05
Susan Hartman wrote:

> Or MLI might have that info
> already to hand. That might save you some time and effort.
>
> Think of it as an education process for the adjustor!
>
> Sue

MLI has signed affidavits for other stitchers as to what the value of
completed stitching is worth. Basically, "I paid my model stitcher
$1100 to do that pattern, plus $75 of materials."

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Dr. Brat

Dec 26, 2005, 4:35:55 PM12/26/05
Karen C - California wrote:

> MLI has signed affidavits for other stitchers as to what the value of
> completed stitching is worth. Basically, "I paid my model stitcher
> $1100 to do that pattern, plus $75 of materials."

If she does that it in this case, I'll count her among the most
forgiving people I ever encountered.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

major moxie

Dec 27, 2005, 12:26:10 PM12/27/05
Wow. If decent linen was $6 a yard, imagine how much stash I'd have!

Hope this guy sees the light.

crzy...@aol.com

Dec 27, 2005, 6:28:54 PM12/27/05

Dr. Brat wrote:
> Karen C - California wrote:
>

> > MLI has signed affidavits for other stitchers as to what the value of
> > completed stitching is worth. Basically, "I paid my model stitcher
> > $1100 to do that pattern, plus $75 of materials."
>
> If she does that it in this case, I'll count her among the most
> forgiving people I ever encountered.
>
> Elizabeth
> --

I'd have to forgive her for stringing me along and lying to me about
model stitching before I'd even ask. I was alledgely at the top of
the waiting list, about to be called into duty any time for a long long
time.

That, more than anything, soured me on the woman and is why I have
become outspoken about my opinion of her. I was among the first to
inform her of the Walmart copyright infringement, and this after all
that. Did I get a thank you? Not really, I got a note saying she was
aware. The tone of the note was not full of kindness and light as her
"flowers" would like to believe of their hero. My views on her became
more vocal after that as well.

I have always said that her early designs were wonderful, the shame is
that her work for the last 5-10 yrs has not been up to the same
quality.

If she has to "forgive" me for honest criticism and anger over her
lying and rudeness to me on a personal and business level, than I
really don't need her "help" at all, imho.

Caryn

Gill Murray

Dec 27, 2005, 7:38:51 PM12/27/05

> I'd have to forgive her for stringing me along and lying to me about
> model stitching before I'd even ask. I was alledgely at the top of
> the waiting list, about to be called into duty any time for a long long
> time.
>
> That, more than anything, soured me on the woman and is why I have
> become outspoken about my opinion of her. I was among the first to
> inform her of the Walmart copyright infringement, and this after all
> that. Did I get a thank you? Not really, I got a note saying she was
> aware. The tone of the note was not full of kindness and light as her
> "flowers" would like to believe of their hero. My views on her became
> more vocal after that as well.
>
> I have always said that her early designs were wonderful, the shame is
> that her work for the last 5-10 yrs has not been up to the same
> quality.
>
> If she has to "forgive" me for honest criticism and anger over her
> lying and rudeness to me on a personal and business level, than I
> really don't need her "help" at all, imho.
>
> Caryn

Caryn,

Can you just let this die?? Is it necessary to bring it up whenever MLI
is mentioned? What is the expression.. "put on your big-girl panties".

You were not the only one,( first, who knows) to tell her of the
violation with Walmart, and dozens of other violations of her rules.

However this is all going back 4-5 years, and should be assigned to
"over the dam", "under the bridge", and "let the dead lie in peace".
Now, do I have enough "isms" for you??

I hope you get your home back eventually. It must be absolutely horrific
to lose the surroundings, where one feels so safe.

A Happy New Year to you, Dude, and the girls.

gillian

Jangchub

Dec 27, 2005, 8:29:36 PM12/27/05
On 27 Dec 2005 15:28:54 -0800, "crzy...@aol.com" <crzy...@aol.com>
wrote:

>I'd have to forgive her for stringing me along and lying to me about
>model stitching before I'd even ask. I was alledgely at the top of
>the waiting list, about to be called into duty any time for a long long
>time.

You too!

>That, more than anything, soured me on the woman and is why I have
>become outspoken about my opinion of her. I was among the first to
>inform her of the Walmart copyright infringement, and this after all
>that. Did I get a thank you? Not really, I got a note saying she was
>aware. The tone of the note was not full of kindness and light as her
>"flowers" would like to believe of their hero. My views on her became
>more vocal after that as well.

...and I actually went out to the Walmart and took the photos which
won her that lovely huge sum of money she said she donated to charity.
She didn't reply to the email with the photos till I emailed her again
asking if she got them. Then she said, yes, she got them. She never
once said thank you.

>I have always said that her early designs were wonderful, the shame is
>that her work for the last 5-10 yrs has not been up to the same
>quality.
>
>If she has to "forgive" me for honest criticism and anger over her
>lying and rudeness to me on a personal and business level, than I
>really don't need her "help" at all, imho.
>
>Caryn

I think I may still have the model stitching acceptance letter with
the amount I'd have been paid to stitch Winter Sampler. Spiritdancer
was, if I recall correctly, 1500 dollars.

crzy...@aol.com

Dec 28, 2005, 9:16:41 AM12/28/05

As I was the one who brought her up in this thread to begin with, and
only in connection with a design of hers that I had stitched that got
trashed in the fire, I think you should be taking Brat to task for
bringing up my history with the designer in the first place. I replied
to her little bit of bitchiness afterall.

It's not like I was about to ask the woman for anything in connection
with the ruined piece, just tossing that in as yet another thing the
insurance adjuster wasn't taking into consideration with his estimate
of what my stuff actually costs.

Heck, I'm sure I could have mailed her the soot covered, partially
burned chart from it and gotten a free replacement. The chart being
the least expensive part of the "kit" it's hardly worth it.

Caryn

Pat P

Dec 28, 2005, 1:58:08 PM12/28/05

<crzy...@aol.com> wrote in message

I`m with you, Caryn - Someone else on here had the same experiences with
her. We`ve covered what we all think of her more recent work from every
angle on previous occasions, so no need to elaborate. I noticed Brat`s
bitchy remark somehow - must have been in someone else`s reply. I thought it
quite unneccessary.

Of course, MLI`s sycophants might report your loss to her, and it would be
an excellent opportunity for her to help you out here if only for the sake
creating a bit of goodwill. I shouldn`t hold your breath, though.

Pat P