political messages

ninthst

Aug 10, 2006, 11:52:19 AM8/10/06
I log on to this group to find messages relating to metalworking that
might interest me instead I find war , politics , religon , etc.
I don't know if anyone monitors this group . if they do they must be
asleep.
All these off topics have many other web sites catering to their views.
How about getting the hell off of our metalworking site.
Moderator [ if any ] how about doing your job ?

T.Alan Kraus

Aug 10, 2006, 12:47:47 PM8/10/06
hear, hear

T.Alan

rigger

Aug 10, 2006, 12:53:43 PM8/10/06

I tend to think of this not as my personal answer/amusement site but
rather more like a shop lunch room where many items of diverse nature
are discussed. If you feel this is not correct perhaps you'd like to
begin your own group and monitor it yourself?

dennis
in nca

Unknown

Aug 10, 2006, 12:56:10 PM8/10/06

Or they could rename it alt.dennis.bullshitzone

a better idea is for you to go where trolling fits in better or start
crossposting to alt.machines.cnc like most of the morons.

Daveb

Bob Headrick

Aug 10, 2006, 4:19:30 PM8/10/06

"ninthst" <clem...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Rec.crafts.metalworking is not a moderated group. You might get some
relief by filtering any messages marked as "OT",blocking cross-posted
messages as well as adding the primary offenders to your blocked list.

- Bob Headrick

*

Aug 10, 2006, 5:55:10 PM8/10/06

Most people who post an Off-Topic message such as yours COMPLAINING about
Off-Topic postings, have the courtesy to mark their posts "OT" - something
which you failed to do, making you just another Off-Topic poster.

ninthst <clem...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in article
<1155225139.1...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>...

Glenn Ashmore

Aug 10, 2006, 7:10:28 PM8/10/06
"rigger" <dg...@aol.com> wrote

> I tend to think of this not as my personal answer/amusement site but
> rather more like a shop lunch room where many items of diverse nature
> are discussed. If you feel this is not correct perhaps you'd like to
> begin your own group and monitor it yourself?

Agreed. This is sort of a virtual water cooler/smoking area/lunchroom at a
big machine shop where everybody bitches and shoots bull about the issues of
the day and occasionally helps each other out with a problem they are having
at their workstation.

A mix of red neck bigots, long haired revolutionaries and thankfully a bunch
guys just trying to do their jobs, raise a family and hope their kids get
left with a better world.

Just remember the old saying "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has
one." Unfortunately assholes usually have more opinions than most people.
:-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Andrew VK3BFA

Aug 10, 2006, 7:41:56 PM8/10/06

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
> "rigger" <dg...@aol.com> wrote
> >
> > I tend to think of this not as my personal answer/amusement site but
> > rather more like a shop lunch room where many items of diverse nature
> > are discussed. If you feel this is not correct perhaps you'd like to
> > begin your own group and monitor it yourself?
>
> Agreed. This is sort of a virtual water cooler/smoking area/lunchroom at a
> big machine shop where everybody bitches and shoots bull about the issues of
> the day and occasionally helps each other out with a problem they are having
> at their workstation.
>
> A mix of red neck bigots, long haired revolutionaries and thankfully a bunch
> guys just trying to do their jobs, raise a family and hope their kids get
> left with a better world.
>
> Just remember the old saying "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has
> one." Unfortunately assholes usually have more opinions than most people.
> :-)
>
> --
> Glenn Ashmore

Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
doesnt detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human
beings who would be welcome in your home....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Glenn Ashmore

Aug 10, 2006, 8:25:02 PM8/10/06
Andrew VK3BFA" <abl...@alphalink.com.au> wrote >

> Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
> doesn't detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human

> beings who would be welcome in your home....

Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

Andrew VK3BFA

Aug 10, 2006, 9:29:32 PM8/10/06

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
> Andrew VK3BFA" <abl...@alphalink.com.au> wrote >
> > Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
> > doesn't detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human
> > beings who would be welcome in your home....
> >

> Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
> Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)
>
> --
> Glenn Ashmore

True, not both at the same time. But I would like to be standing off,
say, 5 miles, with a pair of binoculars if such a meeting did
happen.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Lew Hartswick

Aug 10, 2006, 9:51:08 PM8/10/06
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

> Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
> Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

Thats a big 10 on the laugh meter Glenn. :-)
...lew...

Weldman

Aug 10, 2006, 11:40:23 PM8/10/06
I think some of you guys are missing the original poster's point.
Sure, there may be some off-topic chatter in a thread, but the posters
who start a new threat with the OT.....my neighbor won't mow his lawn
on Sundays..... threads are clogging up the forum. Even with the OT
subject line, it still has to be waded through.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about else is going on in the
world when I come here to read about metal working. We're choking on
all the other crap going on in the world 24/7 these days. Isn't there
somewhere where we can go to not be assaulted with off-topic posts?

Let's keep it on subject for Christ's sake!

jim rozen

Aug 10, 2006, 11:35:32 PM8/10/06
In article <1155259772....@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, Andrew VK3BFA
says...

>True, not both at the same time. But I would like to be standing off,
>say, 5 miles, with a pair of binoculars if such a meeting did
>happen.......

Nope, could not happen. Anyone ever see those two in the same place
at the same time? Nope, it's like superman and clark kent.

Yep, gunner and the cliffster are really the same person. Red pill,
blue pill. One takes you back to your regularly scheduled world,
the other one is the land of cast iron and cats. :^)

If we didn't have gunner, we would have to invent him. Bertrand
Russell again....

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

Aug 10, 2006, 11:37:33 PM8/10/06
In article <1155225139.1...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, ninthst
says...

>I log on to this group to find messages relating to metalworking that
>might interest me

OK, you need to get a grip and understand a bit about usenet. It's
an UNmoderated group.

If you want a moderated group that talks about metalworking, you need
to go someplace else, like here:

<http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi>

Great bunch of folks. Not that nearly, almost, just about, everyone
here isn't. Of course.

Eregon

Aug 11, 2006, 12:29:56 AM8/11/06
"Weldman" <wrenw...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I think some of you guys are missing the original poster's point.
> Sure, there may be some off-topic chatter in a thread, but the posters
> who start a new threat with the OT.....my neighbor won't mow his lawn
> on Sundays..... threads are clogging up the forum. Even with the OT
> subject line, it still has to be waded through.
>
> Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about else is going on in the
> world when I come here to read about metal working. We're choking on
> all the other crap going on in the world 24/7 these days. Isn't there
> somewhere where we can go to not be assaulted with off-topic posts?
>
> Let's keep it on subject for Christ's sake!

If the OP had prefaced his "Subject" correctly, those with sufficient "Common
Sense" would have never seen it at all: their filters would have rejected it.
<grin>

Message has been deleted

Gunner

Aug 11, 2006, 12:39:37 AM8/11/06
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:25:02 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" <gash...@cox.net>
wrote:

>Andrew VK3BFA" <abl...@alphalink.com.au> wrote >
>> Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
>> doesn't detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human
>> beings who would be welcome in your home....
>>

>Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
>Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

Do you have a large chipper/shredder? I can make your compost heap
everso much more productive if you do..if he shows

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001

DoN. Nichols

Aug 11, 2006, 12:30:34 AM8/11/06
According to ninthst <clem...@sbcglobal.net>:

> I log on to this group to find messages relating to metalworking that

[ ... ]

> Moderator [ if any ] how about doing your job ?

Any moderated newsgroup should have "moderated" as part of its
name. This one is not, and has never been moderated. And the amount of
work which would be needed to convert it to moderated is perhaps not
quite worth the trouble. Then you have to find moderators -- (and
regularly replace them as they burn out, as this is a rather
high-traffic newsgroup.)

While I would *love* for the political stuff to go away, I'm
resigned to keeping an active killfile as the next best solution.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

rigger

Aug 11, 2006, 11:29:57 AM8/11/06

And you only post on group subjects, doofus? Don't lie now,
considering what you've just posted, idiot. Go play with yourself,
keep the computer off and you'll have a more idealistic existance and
everyone will be happier, jerk. Net nannies went out of fashion a long
time ago, moron.

dennis
in nca

rigger

Aug 11, 2006, 11:36:33 AM8/11/06

Gunner wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:25:02 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" <gash...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Andrew VK3BFA" <abl...@alphalink.com.au> wrote >
> >> Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
> >> doesn't detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human
> >> beings who would be welcome in your home....
> >>

> >Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
> >Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)
>

> Do you have a large chipper/shredder? I can make your compost heap
> everso much more productive if you do..if he shows
>
> Gunner

Oh, come on now Gunner, fess-up. You know you're even afraid to read
his posts.

dennis
in nca

Dave Hinz

Aug 11, 2006, 12:31:20 PM8/11/06
On 10 Aug 2006 08:52:19 -0700, ninthst <clem...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I log on to this group to find messages relating to metalworking that
> might interest me instead I find war , politics , religon , etc.
> I don't know if anyone monitors this group .

We all do.

> if they do they must be
> asleep.
> All these off topics have many other web sites catering to their views.
> How about getting the hell off of our metalworking site.

How about posting with OT in the header if you're going to post OT?

> Moderator [ if any ] how about doing your job ?

...and how bout getting a clue about how Usenet works.

Dave Hinz

Aug 11, 2006, 12:32:32 PM8/11/06
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:10:28 -0400, Glenn Ashmore <gash...@cox.net> wrote:

> A mix of red neck bigots, long haired revolutionaries and thankfully a bunch
> guys just trying to do their jobs, raise a family and hope their kids get
> left with a better world.

And, the benefit of being a known group of people who you don't have to
worry about hunting you down in real life for an online disagreement.
the *.advocacy groups? Not so much.

Dave Hinz

Aug 11, 2006, 12:34:28 PM8/11/06
On 10 Aug 2006 20:40:23 -0700, Weldman <wrenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think some of you guys are missing the original poster's point.
> Sure, there may be some off-topic chatter in a thread, but the posters
> who start a new threat with the OT.....my neighbor won't mow his lawn
> on Sundays..... threads are clogging up the forum. Even with the OT
> subject line, it still has to be waded through.

Only if you choose to not filter on that. That's why it's there.

> Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about else is going on in the
> world when I come here to read about metal working. We're choking on
> all the other crap going on in the world 24/7 these days. Isn't there
> somewhere where we can go to not be assaulted with off-topic posts?

Sure. Right here. If your newsreader doesn't support killfiles based
on text in the Subject: line, let us know what kind of system you're
running and I'm sure someone here can suggest an appropriate newsreader
which does.

Dave Hinz

Aug 11, 2006, 12:35:15 PM8/11/06
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 04:39:37 GMT, Gunner <gunner...@lightspeed.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:25:02 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" <gash...@cox.net>
> wrote:

>>Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
>>Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

> Do you have a large chipper/shredder? I can make your compost heap
> everso much more productive if you do..if he shows

Shame, gunner...you know you shouldn't put meat byproducts in a compost
heap. Makes 'em stinky.

Gunner

Aug 11, 2006, 1:51:00 PM8/11/06

Afraid? Is one afraid if one choses not to fish around in an open
latrine bare handed?

Gunner

Aug 11, 2006, 1:51:50 PM8/11/06

I figured that amount of bullshit would enhance the pile emensely

Bruce L. Bergman

Aug 11, 2006, 4:29:53 PM8/11/06
wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:25:02 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore" <gash...@cox.net>
>wrote:
>>Andrew VK3BFA" <abl...@alphalink.com.au> wrote >

>>> Well said Glen - your right, sometimes the bullshit just happens - that
>>> doesn't detract from the opinion you have of people as decent human
>>> beings who would be welcome in your home....
>>
>>Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting
>>Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

I can see this - and I already know the outcome...

There once were two cats from Kilkenny, who though that two cats
were too many...

"Oh My GOD, they killed Kenny! You Bastards!"

>Do you have a large chipper/shredder? I can make your compost heap
>everso much more productive if you do..if he shows

That reminds me, Halloween is coming. I should duplicate the prop
tree chipper I built for a Haunted House many moons ago...

I think we set the "NHJC Factory Of Nightmares" record for faints
and serious freak-outs, not to mention bail-outs through the
"Emergency Exit". Even had a few jocks thinking it was real trying to
run onstage and "rescue" the audience plant being 'shredded'.

--<< Bruce >>--

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 11, 2006, 8:50:05 PM8/11/06
Weldman wrote:

> I think some of you guys are missing the original poster's point.
> Sure, there may be some off-topic chatter in a thread, but the posters
> who start a new threat with the OT.....my neighbor won't mow his lawn
> on Sundays..... threads are clogging up the forum. Even with the OT
> subject line, it still has to be waded through.
>
> Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about else is going on in the
> world when I come here to read about metal working. We're choking on
> all the other crap going on in the world 24/7 these days. Isn't there
> somewhere where we can go to not be assaulted with off-topic posts?
>
> Let's keep it on subject for Christ's sake!

Get a real news server and news reader, then you can kill filter all
of the idiots, and filter out threads starting with OT:, or just kill
any thread you don't want to read.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

rigger

Aug 12, 2006, 4:45:10 PM8/12/06

Gunner wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2006 08:36:33 -0700, "rigger" <dg...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> >Gunner wrote:

> >> Do you have a large chipper/shredder? I can make your compost heap
> >> everso much more productive if you do..if he shows
> >>
> >> Gunner
> >
> >Oh, come on now Gunner, fess-up. You know you're even afraid to read
> >his posts.
> >
> >dennis
> >in nca
>
> Afraid? Is one afraid if one choses not to fish around in an open
> latrine bare handed?
>
> Gunner

This makes no sense at all. You both deal with the subjects the same
way, or hadn't you noticed people comparing you two? As far as I can
tell you both swim in the same latrine trying to scoop up the big ones
for your own use. You both bow down to your own gods of course but
yours is looking a little shopworn about now; how's his vacation going
by the way?

After the next round of major elections I expect your positions will be
reversed (again) and we'll all have a big laugh. In fact at that time
you can probably just use each others old posts (minus the comtemporary
content of course). LOL

dennis
in nca

Gunner

Aug 12, 2006, 10:03:14 PM8/12/06

Ah Dennis? Cliff lies. I dont.

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

rigger

Aug 13, 2006, 12:29:43 PM8/13/06

Cites? ;)

dennis
in nca

Gunner

Aug 13, 2006, 5:12:41 PM8/13/06

I dont need any. Its a subjective opinion and one that Im sure other
posters will strongly disagree with, considering how often Ive refuted
their world views.

rigger

Aug 14, 2006, 11:22:59 AM8/14/06

Gunner wrote:

> >> Ah Dennis? Cliff lies. I dont.
> >>
> >> Gunner
> >
> >Cites? ;)
> >

> I dont need any. Its a subjective opinion and one that Im sure other

> posters will strongly disagree with, considering how often Ive refuted
> their world views.
>
> Gunner

Before anyone jumps in here with comments about "opinions" I'll agree
subjective opinions are of importance, but ignoring others opinions
doesn't seem your modis operendi (sp?), and also you often address
Cliff's opinions when they accompany other's posts (the reason I
brought this up).

Never mind, it just seemed like an anomaly when compared with your
usually unflinching manner.

dennis
in nca

jim rozen

Aug 14, 2006, 1:43:49 PM8/14/06
In article <1155568979.7...@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>, rigger
says...

>Before anyone jumps in here with comments about "opinions" I'll agree
>subjective opinions are of importance, but ignoring others opinions

>doesn't seem your modis operendi (sp?), ...

Operandi?

Anyway, that's exactly what he does. His famous sig line: "your opinion
has been noted and discarded."

Translation: ignored.

Gunner

Aug 14, 2006, 2:15:16 PM8/14/06

Dennis..I can say with a clear conscience that I dont lie. And I dont.
Ive made a point of it for most of my life. Ever since I discovered its
far far to difficult to remember which lies one tells which person and
it comes back and bites you in the ass. I think that was about 7 or 8
yrs of age. Mom used a chunk of broom handle, and her feet and fists,
emphasise her anger. Same reason I dont steal. The two are intertwined
and had its basis in trying to be a big man and buy candy for all my
friends after lifting $5 from my moms purse. Know how much "penny candy"
you could buy in 1960 with a sawbuck? Then I lied about it for a week
until it all caught up with me. That it happened to be the only money my
mom had for us to eat on for the next week (times were hard) added some
Chi to her blows Im sure.

An educational experience that has lasted for 40 odd years. In fact..Im
simply pyschologically incapable of stealing. Ive been known to drive
30 miles back to a client when I realized Id walked off with one of
their allen wrenchs by accident. I get jumpy and nervous and my stomach
gets upset at the mere thought of having something that belongs to
another without permission. Ive found a $20 in a store and turned it
into the manager (got a really wierd look) and told him to hold on to it
in case the person comes looking for it. Not something I chose to do..I
HAD to do it. Shrug..I guess if someone has to have issues..there are
far worse ones than the inablity to steal. Shrug Hell..I cant even pick
up change in a parking lot. Its not mine..so I leave it.

I dont lie, but I have been wrong about things I was sure were factual
which turned out later to be wrong. Not often, but it has happened. And
to the Leftards..thats the same as a lie. Unless of course one is a
Democrat..then its simply "misspeaking". Hence my qualification.

When I give my "opinion" its based on the best set of facts I can find.
When I dont "know" something..Ill either research and then comment, or
keep my mouth shut. On the rare occasion..the research Ive done lead me
to a flawed conclusion, and hence a flawed opinion. Both politically,
and in the real world of nuts, bolts and hardware.

Yes I do on the rare occasion, cherry pick to prove a point I KNOW to be
true (taking a cue from the Left..leave out the true part for them
though) and hell yes, I use bombast (another cue)..this is entertainment
afterall. But unlike Cliff..I NEVER claim something I know to be untrue.
Nor do I use wishful thinking as a data set.

From my point of view..its a fact. From the twisted viewpoint of my
detractors..its a subjective opinion. Because Im of course..not a
Democrat. I could argue the run rises in the east, sets in the
west..and the Left will argue that its a subjective opinion and then
start babbling about "well if you are facing east and the sun rises it
goes over head and of course anything goes overhead has to be coming
North and South because all maps are laid out that way so the sun rises
in the north and sets in the south..and that has to be the truth cause
thats how we Feel about it."

Shrug

*

Aug 30, 2006, 4:48:20 PM8/30/06
HEY MEGPA !!!!!!!

Would you PLEASE correct your computer's calendar?

Everything you post is dated exactly one month forward into September. so
when I open my newsreader, the first several messages are old messages that
won't disappear until one month from now.

I have to scroll down further and further to get to "TODAY" instead of the
future?!?!?!?!

jim rozen

Aug 30, 2006, 5:09:27 PM8/30/06
In article <01c6cc74$defc7f00$5595c3d8@race>, * says...

>HEY MEGPA !!!!!!!
>
>Would you PLEASE correct your computer's calendar?

Yeah, correct it back into the 1850s maybe.

Ned Simmons

Aug 30, 2006, 6:07:50 PM8/30/06
In article <ed4uq...@drn.newsguy.com>, jim_m...@newsguy.com says...

> In article <01c6cc74$defc7f00$5595c3d8@race>, * says...
> >
> >HEY MEGPA !!!!!!!
> >
> >Would you PLEASE correct your computer's calendar?
>
> Yeah, correct it back into the 1850s maybe.

I thought megpa might be *, or perhaps the anti-Cliff.

Ned Simmons