Autodark helmet failure - repair attempt, need battery & holder advice

ari...@c3net.net

Aug 2, 2010, 8:21:42 AM8/2/10
First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.

My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old. I Googled
autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread/thread/d5797c5c51780adf/365364320493c325?lnk=gst&q=Auto+dark+welding+helmet+failure#365364320493c325
Hence the cross posting. Summary of which is: all autodark helmets
w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have capacitors,
batteries,…blah, blah, blah….Store your helmet in the sun to extend
the battery life. The advice was a bit late but I placed the autodark
module in a southern facing window for 9 weeks. On the first strike
the autodark was noticeable slow, but was OK for the following
restrikes. After a 5+ minute pause, the first strike was once again
slow.

With not too much to loose, I used an Exacto knife and cut open the
case seam: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkopenedcr2330batt.jpg
Two CR2330 batteries soldered to the board. I found a replacement
battery w/ the solder leads attached
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1250-battery-lithium-coin-23mm-w-legs-br-2330-vcn.html
but then I thought why not mount the batteries on the outside of the
case as in this simulation
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkmodulew-externalbatt.jpg
There is plenty of room between the module and my forehead for the
batteries.

So should I stay w/ the 0.255mAh CR2330 battery or go with something
else since I am no longer constrained by the package space? If so
what? I found this puppy w/ a much higher capacity
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1210-battery-lithium-3v-24mm-w-pcterm-cr-2477-hfn.html
but it also has a higher self discharge rate.

SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components
today? In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for
parts. I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of
12). I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP
(guess) case of the autodark module. Who are some good vendors that
are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous
shipping rates?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Aug 2, 2010, 8:40:16 AM8/2/10
ari...@c3net.net fired this volley in news:08af0138-3abe-47af-a681-
9e9943...@k8g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

> SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components
> today?

mouser.com They will sell you 5MM or 1 of just _about_ anything they carry
(not tape-mounted parts, usually, but any bulk stuff for sure).

LLoyd

Pete C.

Aug 2, 2010, 9:23:41 AM8/2/10

Digi-Key tends to be easier to deal with and have great customer
service.

Ignoramus18921

Aug 2, 2010, 9:27:32 AM8/2/10

I use digikey a lot.

Winston

Aug 2, 2010, 10:10:30 AM8/2/10
On 8/2/2010 5:21 AM, ari...@c3net.net wrote:
> First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.
>
> My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062254

"This item is available at most stores."

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Eagle-Plastic-Devices/12BH441P-GR/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv6woHFcLwJZkVi7UY5ULaa
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=2482K-ND

--Winston

Ned Simmons

Aug 2, 2010, 10:40:42 AM8/2/10
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:23:41 -0500, "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net>
wrote:

I use both, but prefer Mouser. Shipping is usually faster and cheaper
than Digi-Key, especially if your order fits in a USPS flat rate box.

--
Ned Simmons

Denis G.

Aug 2, 2010, 10:45:06 AM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 7:21 am, arib...@c3net.net wrote:
> First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.
>
> My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old.  I Googled
> autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for this thread:http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread...

> Hence the cross posting.   Summary of which is:  all autodark helmets
> w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have capacitors,
> batteries,…blah, blah, blah….Store your helmet in the sun to extend
> the battery life.  The advice was a bit late but I placed the autodark
> module in a southern facing window for 9 weeks.  On the first strike
> the autodark was noticeable slow, but was OK for the following
> restrikes.  After a 5+ minute pause, the first strike was once again
> slow.
>
> With not too much to loose, I used an Exacto knife and cut open the
> case seam:http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkop...

> Two CR2330 batteries soldered to the board.  I found a replacement
> battery w/ the solder leads attachedhttp://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1250-battery-lithium-coin-23mm-w-leg...

> but then I thought why not mount the batteries on the outside of the
> case as in this simulationhttp://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkmo...

> There is plenty of room between the module and my forehead for the
> batteries.
>
> So should I stay w/ the 0.255mAh CR2330 battery or go with something
> else since I am no longer constrained by the package space?  If so
> what?  I found this puppy w/ a much higher capacityhttp://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1210-battery-lithium-3v-24mm-w-pcter...

> but it also has a higher self discharge rate.
>
> SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components
> today?  In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for
> parts.  I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of
> 12).  I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP
> (guess) case of the autodark module.  Who are some good vendors that
> are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous
> shipping rates?

You could also try yard sales. Kids toys and cell phones are common
discards.

Don Foreman

Aug 2, 2010, 11:59:36 AM8/2/10
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 05:21:42 -0700 (PDT), ari...@c3net.net wrote:

>SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components
>today? In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for
>parts. I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of
>12). I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP
>(guess) case of the autodark module. Who are some good vendors that
>are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous
>shipping rates?

Digi-Key
Mouser
Jameco
Newark

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 2, 2010, 4:27:48 PM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 6:21 am, arib...@c3net.net wrote:
> First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.
>
> My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old.  I Googled
> autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for this thread:http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread...

> Hence the cross posting.   Summary of which is:  all autodark helmets
> w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have capacitors,
> batteries,…blah, blah, blah….Store your helmet in the sun to extend
> the battery life.  The advice was a bit late but I placed the autodark
> module in a southern facing window for 9 weeks.  On the first strike
> the autodark was noticeable slow, but was OK for the following
> restrikes.  After a 5+ minute pause, the first strike was once again
> slow.
>
> With not too much to loose, I used an Exacto knife and cut open the
> case seam:http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkop...

> Two CR2330 batteries soldered to the board.  I found a replacement
> battery w/ the solder leads attachedhttp://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1250-battery-lithium-coin-23mm-w-leg...

> but then I thought why not mount the batteries on the outside of the
> case as in this simulationhttp://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/aribert/machining/Autodarkmo...

> There is plenty of room between the module and my forehead for the
> batteries.
>
> So should I stay w/ the 0.255mAh CR2330 battery or go with something
> else since I am no longer constrained by the package space?  If so
> what?  I found this puppy w/ a much higher capacityhttp://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1210-battery-lithium-3v-24mm-w-pcter...

> but it also has a higher self discharge rate.
>
> SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components
> today?  In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for
> parts.  I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of
> 12).  I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP
> (guess) case of the autodark module.  Who are some good vendors that
> are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous
> shipping rates?

Same as the others, plus http://www.allelectronics.com and http://www.halted.com
for surplus. Also, http://www.sciplus.com sometimes has electric/
electronic goodies for cheap, worth going to it for the
entertainment. Herbach and Rademan lean more towards
electromechanical stuff. With any of the surplus stuff, buy if you
see what you want, it may not be there much longer.

Radio Shack has a bunch of stuff on their web site, sometimes they
even have it in their stores. Most components and loose parts have
been moved to a couple of sets of drawers in a dusty corner, you'll
have to ask. Helps to look it up on the site first, then take the
part number in, all of the places are arranged according to part
numbers.

If your batteries are connected in series, you might look for a holder
for a CR123, it's 6 volts out of the package, might last longer.
Both Mouser and Digi-key have battery holders for both coin and
tubular lithium batteries.

Stan

Leo Lichtman

Aug 2, 2010, 6:09:00 PM8/2/10

<sta...@prolynx.com> wrote: (clip) Helps to look it up on the site first,
then take the
part number in, all of the places are arranged according to part
numbers. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think most of the training that Radio Shack provides their clerks is on
selling cell phones. If you try to explain something technical, or describe
a needed part, you probably won't get very far. Good advice to go in with
the part numbers.

JR North

Aug 2, 2010, 6:53:41 PM8/2/10
I got 10 CR2025 shipping incl for $1.95 on Ebay. Good batts too.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Comrade technomaNge

Aug 2, 2010, 8:21:53 PM8/2/10
On 08/02/2010 07:21 AM, ari...@c3net.net wrote:
> First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.

> SO where does one go to buy a very small qty of electrical components

> today? In my youth I stopped by Radio Shack or Olsens Electronics for
> parts. I found a nice looking battery holder online (in min qtys of
> 12). I need a battery holder that I can bond or screw/rivet to the PP
> (guess) case of the autodark module. Who are some good vendors that
> are willing to deal in small qty orders and don’t have outrageous
> shipping rates?

I buy lots of stuff from BG Micro.

http://www.bgmicro.com

One battery holder, not necessarily the one you want:

http://www.bgmicro.com/BAT1053.aspx

technomaNge
--
"gormless fuckchop" in residence.

whit3rd

Aug 2, 2010, 10:11:13 PM8/2/10
On Aug 2, 7:40 am, Ned Simmons <n...@nedsim.com> wrote:

> I use both, but prefer Mouser. Shipping is usually faster and cheaper
> than Digi-Key, especially if your order fits in a USPS flat rate box.

But, this is about batteries; those can't be shipped USPS.

Some of the solder-in cells are lithium primary cells, and
others are lithium rechargeable cells (VL2330 is rechargeable
and BR2330 is not). Make sure you aren't using an incompatible
cell to do the replacement.

Ned Simmons

Aug 2, 2010, 11:06:05 PM8/2/10
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:11:13 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 2, 7:40 am, Ned Simmons <n...@nedsim.com> wrote:
>
>> I use both, but prefer Mouser. Shipping is usually faster and cheaper
>> than Digi-Key, especially if your order fits in a USPS flat rate box.
>
>But, this is about batteries; those can't be shipped USPS.

Sure they can. USPS even gives advice on how to ship battery operated
devices...
http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/packagingtips.htm

--
Ned Simmons

Jon Danniken

Aug 2, 2010, 11:08:14 PM8/2/10
Comrade technomaNge wrote:

> One battery holder, not necessarily the one you want:
>
> http://www.bgmicro.com/BAT1053.aspx

I always wonder why companies provide a link on an image to open up another
window showing the same size image.

Jon

Don Foreman

Aug 3, 2010, 12:00:36 AM8/3/10
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:27:48 -0700 (PDT), sta...@prolynx.com wrote:

>If your batteries are connected in series, you might look for a holder
>for a CR123, it's 6 volts out of the package, might last longer.

CR123 is 3 volts.

Stormin Mormon

Aug 3, 2010, 9:43:14 AM8/3/10
Since a welding hemlet protects your eyes from serious risk. Is it
worth saving a few bucks by doing home repair? And what happens if the
protection fails? Mass doses of UV? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned
for your eye sight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<ari...@c3net.net> wrote in message

First posting in joining.welding, I hang out over rec.metal.

My cheapy autodark helmet quit recently, about 3 years old. I Googled
autodark helmet repair and did not find much, except for this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.joining.welding/browse_thread/thread/d5797c5c51780adf/365364320493c325?lnk=gst&q=Auto+dark+welding+helmet+failure#365364320493c325
Hence the cross posting. Summary of which is: all autodark helmets
w/ solar cells also have batteries, not they have capacitors,

batteries,.blah, blah, blah..Store your helmet in the sun to extend

Jon Danniken

Aug 3, 2010, 9:49:48 AM8/3/10
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Since a welding hemlet protects your eyes from serious risk. Is it
> worth saving a few bucks by doing home repair? And what happens if the
> protection fails? Mass doses of UV? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned
> for your eye sight.

Provides UV and IR protection when off. It is the visible light that it
shades against.

Jon

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 3, 2010, 12:42:31 PM8/3/10
On Aug 3, 7:43 am, "Stormin Mormon" <cayoung##spambloc...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Since a welding hemlet protects your eyes from serious risk. Is it
> worth saving a few bucks by doing home repair? And what happens if the
> protection fails? Mass doses of UV? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned
> for your eye sight.
>
> --
> Christopher A. Young
> Learn more about Jesus
>  www.lds.org
> .

The glass in the hood provides the UV protection, with or without the
electronics, the electronics just cuts the dazzle down to an accepable
level. Hoods are expensive enough that refurb/repair is viable. If
the filter were cracked, that would be an item for concern. But it's
not.

Stan

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 3, 2010, 12:47:23 PM8/3/10

Yup, you're right. Thinking of this pup:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-28l.html
Briefly had a green laser that used it.

Stan

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 3, 2010, 10:07:55 PM8/3/10

Some open a smaller photo, which is even worse! I'm in the middle of
fixing a website with a lot of broken links, and trying to clean up the
images. All have been reduced several times, and have a lot of
artifacts which make most of the thumbnails useless. They didn't keep
the original photos, and some were taken with a cell phone and emailed
by their customers.

Stormin Mormon

Aug 4, 2010, 9:50:42 AM8/4/10
Now, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks, I am learning from you and
others.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<sta...@prolynx.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Aug 4, 2010, 9:53:07 AM8/4/10
When I was a kid, a RS opened within bicycle distance of me. I loved
that store, and shopped there often. Anyone remember the battery of
the month cards?

I bought a cell phone with a $40 rebate. The rebate never arrived. I
wrote, and followed up, and still no rebate. Over the years, I've
spent buckets of money at RS, but not any more. I havn't been in a RS
in a couple years. They lost my trade.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Leo Lichtman" <leo.li...@att.net> wrote in message

Gerald Miller

Aug 5, 2010, 1:07:57 AM8/5/10
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:53:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
<cayoung##spamblock**@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I was a kid, a RS opened within bicycle distance of me. I loved
>that store, and shopped there often. Anyone remember the battery of
>the month cards?
>
>I bought a cell phone with a $40 rebate. The rebate never arrived. I
>wrote, and followed up, and still no rebate. Over the years, I've
>spent buckets of money at RS, but not any more. I havn't been in a RS
>in a couple years. They lost my trade.

Last time I was in a RS I asked the person in charge for "two double A
Ni-Cads" his reply "what's that" Haven't seen a RS around here for
several years, they changed to "The Source" then disappeared.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Message has been deleted

Wes

Aug 5, 2010, 6:46:27 PM8/5/10
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung##spamblock**@hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I was a kid, a RS opened within bicycle distance of me. I loved
>that store, and shopped there often. Anyone remember the battery of
>the month cards?
>
>I bought a cell phone with a $40 rebate. The rebate never arrived. I
>wrote, and followed up, and still no rebate. Over the years, I've
>spent buckets of money at RS, but not any more. I havn't been in a RS
>in a couple years. They lost my trade.

When I need a diode or cable today instead of tomorrow, I visit the place. Otherwise I
use Newark or Digikey and next day air. The last time I visited, I needed a 25A full wave
bridge to repair a back gage in a press brake.

Anyone remember Lafayette Radio? Link below before my time.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_radio_catalog_no_53_named_1933.html

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

DoN. Nichols

Aug 5, 2010, 8:40:11 PM8/5/10
On 2010-08-05, Wes <ClutchAtL...@Gmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

> Anyone remember Lafayette Radio? Link below before my time.
>
> http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_radio_catalog_no_53_named_1933.html

Yep! My first experience with them was about 1960 in the Boston
area. I still have a nice (Japanese made) log-log slide rule from them
from that period.

And my last was about 1977 or a bit after that, in the
Washington DC area.

During that period, my saying was "Lafayette mean Japanese".
Apparently from the earlier catalogs, that was not always the case. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: <BPdnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 6, 2010, 5:31:19 AM8/6/10

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

> On 2010-08-05, Wes <ClutchAtL...@Gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > Anyone remember Lafayette Radio? Link below before my time.
> >
> > http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_radio_catalog_no_53_named_1933.html
>
> Yep! My first experience with them was about 1960 in the Boston
> area. I still have a nice (Japanese made) log-log slide rule from them
> from that period.
>
> And my last was about 1977 or a bit after that, in the
> Washington DC area.
>
> During that period, my saying was "Lafayette mean Japanese".
> Apparently from the earlier catalogs, that was not always the case. :-)

My last order to Lafayette was in in the late '60s. I ordered some
transistors and 6 12" * 18" sheets of single sided phenolic PC boards.
A 6"*6"*6" box arrived, and the invoice was marked "Shipped complete".
They refused to admit they had short shipped, so I sent all my future
orders to Allied or Digikey. I laughed when they went bankrupt a few
years later.

ari...@c3net.net

Aug 6, 2010, 8:28:21 AM8/6/10
On Aug 5, 2:49 am, Thor <T...@nospam.net> wrote:

> I had the same problem with my Harbor Freight helmet. One of the rechargeable's
> in it went bad and one is fair. I removed the bad one and unsoldered two coin
> cell holders from old motherboards. A little bit of wire, cut a notch to let the
> case close and it works like new. When the other battery goes bad I will do the
> same thing.
> The batteries in the helmets, if I recall correctly, have opposite polarities
> for the tabs than what you can readily order. I do remember the one on the right
> side with the case open has the tabs in a non-standard arrangment and that is
> why I went the external coin cell holder route. I am using a 2032 lithium. Being
> that I had the motherboards with batteries and holders it cost me nothing but
> saved me $50.
>
> Thor- Hide quoted text -

Thor: Thanks for the heads up as to polarity. It is likely that I
would have checked the polarity on one side and not checked the
other. I'm a bit surprised that you put a time limit on your posting
- this is the kind of info I was searching for a few months ago with
minimal success.

Thanks to every one else on recomended sources for small qty of
electical components. Having a good picture or dwg available for a
battery holder is a plus since I want to mount it to the outside
surface of the autodark module instead of the typical (on board)
location.

Joe

Aug 6, 2010, 2:18:15 PM8/6/10
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:46:27 -0400, Wes
<ClutchAtL...@Gmail.com> wrote:

>"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung##spamblock**@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>When I was a kid, a RS opened within bicycle distance of me. I loved
>>that store, and shopped there often. Anyone remember the battery of
>>the month cards?
>>
>>I bought a cell phone with a $40 rebate. The rebate never arrived. I
>>wrote, and followed up, and still no rebate. Over the years, I've
>>spent buckets of money at RS, but not any more. I havn't been in a RS
>>in a couple years. They lost my trade.
>
>When I need a diode or cable today instead of tomorrow, I visit the place. Otherwise I
>use Newark or Digikey and next day air. The last time I visited, I needed a 25A full wave
>bridge to repair a back gage in a press brake.
>
>Anyone remember Lafayette Radio? Link below before my time.

My TV (anyone still call 'em that?) still feeds my very first stereo
system - a Lafayette receiver with the original speakers (LR44?).
Works quite well, although I did have to do some work on the controls.
The BSR turntable is long gone, though.

Circa 1971 (ish).

(My TV resides in the bedroom, so it needed its own system.)

Joe

>http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_radio_catalog_no_53_named_1933.html
>
>Wes

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 6, 2010, 5:58:49 PM8/6/10
On Aug 5, 4:46 pm, Wes <ClutchAtLycosDot...@Gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone remember Lafayette Radio?  Link below before my time.
>
> http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/lafayette_radio_catalog_no_53_named_...
>
> Wes
> --
Sure, used to do a LOT of business with them. Were originally radio/
TV parts and secondarily hobbiest/ham stuff. Had some of the first
inexpensive ham and CB gear on the market. They started opening local
stores ala Radio Shack in the early '70s, carried about the same type
of stuff except better. Had one in the college town. Kind of dried
up and blew away in the mid '70s, about when ham started going to
appliance-operators and consumer electronic repair started dying with
the switch to solid-state gear. No battery card, though.

Stan

Message has been deleted