DIY Computer Interface to HF cheapo Caliper?

mike

Nov 29, 2004, 6:32:15 PM11/29/04
The Harbor Freight digital calipers got down to $12, so I sprung for
one. Only took three tries to get one that worked.
This is the best example of "no-name" I've ever seen. Only clue
to what it is is "made in china".

I'd like to experiment with transferring data to the computer.
Has the 4-pin interface.
Googling spc has let me down.
Anybody have specs on the hardware interface and data format.
Please save me the hassle of getting logic analyzer out of the attic.

Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

Rick

Nov 29, 2004, 6:42:52 PM11/29/04

"mike" <spa...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> The Harbor Freight digital calipers got down to $12, so I sprung for
> one. Only took three tries to get one that worked.
> This is the best example of "no-name" I've ever seen. Only clue
> to what it is is "made in china".
>
> I'd like to experiment with transferring data to the computer.
> Has the 4-pin interface.
> Googling spc has let me down.
> Anybody have specs on the hardware interface and data format.
> Please save me the hassle of getting logic analyzer out of the attic.
>
> Thanks, mike

Try www.tinaja.com and search for SPC

Spehro Pefhany

Nov 29, 2004, 7:07:17 PM11/29/04

The China caliper output is not the same as Mitutoyo.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Rick

Nov 29, 2004, 7:00:01 PM11/29/04

"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:42:52 GMT, the renowned "Rick"
> <no...@goodone.com> wrote:
>

> >"mike" <spa...@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >> The Harbor Freight digital calipers got down to $12, so I sprung for
> >> one. Only took three tries to get one that worked.
> >> This is the best example of "no-name" I've ever seen. Only clue
> >> to what it is is "made in china".
> >>
> >> I'd like to experiment with transferring data to the computer.
> >> Has the 4-pin interface.
> >> Googling spc has let me down.
> >> Anybody have specs on the hardware interface and data format.
> >> Please save me the hassle of getting logic analyzer out of the attic.
> >>
> >> Thanks, mike
> >>

> > Try www.tinaja.com and search for SPC
>
> The China caliper output is not the same as Mitutoyo.

Figures. Oh well-he still may be able to pick up a few things...

keith bowers

Nov 29, 2004, 7:16:25 PM11/29/04

Greg

Nov 29, 2004, 7:27:06 PM11/29/04

mike

Nov 29, 2004, 9:19:48 PM11/29/04

Thanks guys, for the links.
Found lots of (hopefully) useful data.

Fred Splittgerber

Dec 1, 2004, 8:07:05 AM12/1/04
Mike,
go to this site
http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm
for the most thorough info on this subject.
Have fun,
Fred

Fred Fowler III

Dec 17, 2004, 1:49:44 PM12/17/04
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:32:15 -0800, mike <spa...@netscape.net>
scribed:

Hi Mike:

I don't know how far along you got, but this guys site has it all,
even how to build a DRO unit with 3 axis inputs and a spindle RPM
unit, complete schematics, PCB layouts, micro assembler code, etc...

Good luck!

Fred III

Jim Wilson

Dec 17, 2004, 2:03:59 PM12/17/04
Fred Fowler III offered...
> ...this guys site has it all,

> even how to build a DRO unit with 3 axis inputs and a spindle RPM
> unit, complete schematics, PCB layouts, micro assembler code, etc...

Which guy's?

Jim

J. Mark Wolf

Dec 17, 2004, 3:46:44 PM12/17/04

He's talking about the Shumatech site below.

http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm

--
J. Mark Wolf

Fred Fowler III

Dec 21, 2004, 3:20:17 PM12/21/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:46:44 +0000, J. Mark Wolf

Also found one here:

http://users.skynet.be/peter.smolders/

Best,

Fred