If Star Trek Races Collected Coins...

Michael E. Marotta

Aug 12, 2003, 1:48:12 PM8/12/03
Suppose that numismatics as we know it were woven into the Star Trek
universe.

Ferengis would be coin dealers! As collectors, they would amass the
coins with the highest value-to-weight ratio, collect across all
metals to spread the risks and profits, and be suckers for Franklin
Mint medals honoring American Business Leaders.

Klingons would go for big heavy objects such as Ptolemaic Bronzes and
Swedish Plate Money. They would also collect anything with a War
theme from Eisenhower Dollars and Churchill Crowns to the Marshall
Islands WW II Commems because they have great battle scenes on them.

Romulans would only collect the rare metals, the new coins of niobium
and iridium, etc., with platinum at the bottom. These have high
value, true rarity, and strategic importance as raw materials.

Bajorans collect religious themes. There are some stunning European
thalers and half-crowns with celestial scenes, angels, etc. Tibetan
tangkas would be the Lincoln Cents of their collections.

Cardassians are very happy with the Millennial Dragon coins from all
over, but the Cardassians are never welcome at coin shows because they
are kleptomaniacs.

Vulcans... now there is a tough one... What is there about collecting
that is LOGICAL, and not passionate? How many times have you read
here "I love..." It is illogical for any sentient being to claim to
love an inanimate object. Appreciation of utility is one thing, but
"love"? A Vulcan would never glom a coin. That is the reason why I
infer that Vulcans collect broadly, "one of everything" with phone
cards being their "Lincoln Cents" and checks (bank drafts) being their
"Morgan Dollars." Those are the most logical numismatic instruments.
(Ah! I have it -- and I think I will go for it -- banknotes whose
serial numbers are physical constants, pi, e, G, mu, h, etc.)

The Borg collect all State Quarters. Literally. ALL of them, without
exception, each and every one of the trillions will be assimilated
into folders and albums. State Quarters... Jefferson Nickels... one
series after another until the entire Numismatic Galaxy is stored in
folders and albums. World paper, shot glasses with pictures of coins,
any object with a coinlike name such as the Lincoln Memorial and
everybody on Earth named Hall (or Heller), Cash, Silver, Gold,
Nichols, or, (why stop?) Adler!

Starfleet Command in particular and the Federation Council in general
all collect inflation money, Notgeld, emergency issues, and warrants.
However, none of them actually ADMITS to collecting anything except
the benevolent greetings of the beings they meet formally.

Betazoids ... hmmmm, another tough one... coins that reveal the inner
souls of the people on them, such as many ancient Greeks and oh so
many Roman Imperials but also for instance, a complete set of QEIIs
Queen Elizabeth II of England as she matured from a young woman into a
matriarch, across all artists, British, Canadian, etc., and arranged
three dimensionally as if that were sufficient. Banknotes with
waterfalls, lakes, etc., would be a good Betazoid collection.

Craton

Aug 12, 2003, 4:17:08 PM8/12/03

Not a fan of star trek but your post was entertaining Mike.
Thanks,
--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------

Kyle Mutcher

Aug 12, 2003, 4:56:07 PM8/12/03
Vulcans would collect the French Decimal coins with the weights based on the
metric system, I believe they would consider this the most logical of
currencies :)

K.

"Michael E. Marotta" <mer...@torchlake.com> wrote in message

Davey

Aug 12, 2003, 5:12:57 PM8/12/03

"Michael E. Marotta" <mer...@torchlake.com> wrote in message

Well done Michael! Very entertaining to read......

--
All the Best!
Davey

Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

Aug 12, 2003, 6:47:27 PM8/12/03
mer...@torchlake.com (Michael E. Marotta) wrote in message news:<a0ebae31.03081...@posting.google.com>...

> Suppose that numismatics as we know it were woven into the Star Trek
> universe. [snip]
> Vulcans... now there is a tough one...

I think Vulcans would collect coins depicting great philosophers and
scientists- not for any "glom" value, as you note, but rather to
meditate on previous intellectual giants and thus inspire themselves.

Unfortunately, we humans have been far more likely to place the
visages of bloodthirsty conquerors on our currencies, but a few of our
best minds have been numismatically honored. Circulating Greek coins
in the 1980s portrayed Aristotle and Democritus, and German
commemoratives have honored quite a few great scientists. And Ben
Franklin was no slouch as a scientist, either. I'm undoubtedly
forgetting others- any other nominations for a Vulcan coin collection,
anyone?

Oh, and thanks for the original post, Michael.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

mark

Aug 12, 2003, 7:04:02 PM8/12/03
>From: part...@yahoo.com (Robert A. DeRose, Jr.)

>I'm undoubtedly
>forgetting others- any other nominations for a Vulcan coin collection,
>anyone?

Dante on the Italy 500 lire from the 1960's; Austria recently did a Freud
commem (it's a bi-metalic--is that freudian?); then there's the Newton and
Shakespeare Condor tokens; and of course the coinage of Marcus Aurelius.

--
mark

Doug Andrews

Aug 12, 2003, 8:30:17 PM8/12/03
Michael, wonderful stuff! I offer two comments.

First, Vulcans, logically speaking, would definitely be interested in
the many Municipal Trade Tokens from Vulcan, Alberta (where else) that
feature Vulcan and Federation themes. They are very popular in these
parts of the galaxy, but they go quickly, so everybody should get
their butts to Eligi Consultants Inc. at Warp Factor 9.9. Eligi can be
reached at http://eligi.ca.

Last time I checked, they were still located on planet Earth, although
my information may now be out of date. They were last seen trading
with the Ferengi for pure latnum.

Second, Klingons like everything LIVELY! Even their food sort of
crawls around the plate. So I recommend offering them the African
coins with dinos on them, starting with fighters like Triceratops and
Raptors. If they refuse to take this advice, I suggest you tell them
"Qu'vatlh," and then run like hell.

Doug
________________________

Colin Kynoch

Aug 12, 2003, 8:33:37 PM8/12/03

mark wrote:

Most Australian banknotes (since decimal currency have depicted
scientists or people who have actually made a difference) Also off the
top of my head we have had Florey on our coins.

Colin Kynoch

Joe Schell

Aug 12, 2003, 9:39:52 PM8/12/03
In article <a0ebae31.03081...@posting.google.com>,
mer...@torchlake.com says...

> Suppose that numismatics as we know it were woven into the Star Trek
> universe.

On an individual note:

James T Kirk would collect Greek and Roman coins, simply because of his
middle name (plus he reads Homer).

The gamesters of Triskelon would collect Isle of Man coins for obvious
reasons.

Chekov would collect Soviet Rusian coinage, since coinage was "inwented
in Russia."

Hary Mudd would collect Acccugrade slabs by the score, for resale.

Lazurus would collect Roman coins with Janus on them.

Commisioner Beale (sp) (Frank Gorshen) would collect bi-mettalic coins.

Will (Number One) would collect quarters, but only to use them in condom
machines.

Data would collect silver rounds, as he could not understand the
difference between them and real coins.

Jordi would collect Alabama state quarters.

The Horta would collect Yap stone money.
--
Copper is as copper does.

Craton

Aug 12, 2003, 10:10:07 PM8/12/03

> Klingons would go for big heavy objects such as Ptolemaic Bronzes and
> Swedish Plate Money. They would also collect anything with a War
> theme from Eisenhower Dollars and Churchill Crowns to the Marshall
> Islands WW II Commems because they have great battle scenes on them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=155&item=2187558077

A.Gent

Aug 13, 2003, 3:44:21 AM8/13/03

"Michael E. Marotta" <mer...@torchlake.com> wrote in message

<snip some good stuff...>

> The Borg collect all State Quarters. Literally. ALL of them, without
> exception,

LOL!
Loved that one!

"Mr Worf! Scan that ship!"
"Aye aye Cap'n. 300 d.p.i. ?"

Coin Saver

Aug 13, 2003, 12:54:33 PM8/13/03
>From: prgrmr

>>I'm undoubtedly forgetting others- any other nominations>>

A Gorn might probably be into ancients; Romulans too, if they could stomach
owning Earth coins. Precious metals for a Ferengi. And should he ever want a
coin collection, Q would most likely just take them all away to the continuum.

8-/

Coin Saver

Bruce Hickmott

Aug 13, 2003, 1:05:41 PM8/13/03
On 13 Aug 2003 16:54:33 GMT, coin...@aol.comnojunk (Coin Saver) is alleged to
have written:

Q would collect coins with his portrait on them. And oddly, every planet in the
universe would suddenly start issuing them.

The Borg would collect copper and gold...they are the best conductors and we all
know that resistance is futile!

Bruce (Sorry about that)

Joe Schell

Aug 14, 2003, 7:12:08 AM8/14/03
In article <3f3a6f60.17528464@newshost>, bru...@lexisnexis.com says...
Would the Borg not also collect the As? "You will be As-similated"

Michael E. Marotta

Aug 14, 2003, 10:50:26 AM8/14/03
Joe Schell <joe...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Data would collect silver rounds, as he could not understand the
> difference between them and real coins.

I liked that! It was insightful.

> Jordi would collect Alabama state quarters.

Yeah, I know, that was "insightful" also. (:-)

> The Horta would collect Yap stone money.

Good one!