Charter: rec.collecting.coins

Jon Hamkins

Aug 22, 1994, 2:17:11 PM8/22/94
Welcome to rec.collecting.coins! Thanks go out the many people who
helped make this group possible. We couldn't have done it without
you.

Eventually, I would like to get a FAQ list in gear for this group. At
this time of year I really don't have time to organize anything, but
the coins mailing list FAQ would be a good starting place, I think.

For general information, I have included the charter for this group, as
I originally submitted it. In a nutshell, if your discussion has
anything to do with coin collecting or related topics, this is the
group for it.

----Jon

----included file----
Purpose
-------
rec.collecting.coins will be for the discussion of all things related
to coin collecting, including but not necessarily limited to currency,
medal, token, and pattern collecting. It will be unmoderated, and
distributed worldwide.

Rationale
---------
Currently, there is no newsgroup devoted to discussion of coin
collecting. rec.collecting is too general a forum to hold the interest
of many coin collectors. A mailing list with 240 subscribers already
exists: co...@cobra.uni.edu. (Send subscribe notices to
coins-...@cobra.uni.edu.) It is not unusual for up to 10 messages
a day or more to be posted to the mailing list, and several people have
unsubscribed because handling the mail became too burdensome.

Given the success of similar groups rec.collecting.stamps and
rec.collecting.cards, we believe that rec.collecting.coins also
deserves its own group.

Charter
-------
rec.collecting.coins will be for the discussion of all things related
to coin collecting. Suitable topics will include:

o Tokens, currency, pattern, medal collecting
o News relevant to coin collecting
o Grading
o Cleaning
o Upcoming coin shows/programs
o History behind coins
o How not to get ripped off by dealers, mail order places, etc.
o Book reviews
o Rare finds in circulating currency
o Questions about particular coins-- identifying, appraising, etc.
o Offers for trades, price lists, auctions

Misc
----
If created, a gateway to/from the mailing list may be established.
Currently, there is a gateway from the the mailing list to
rec.collecting. The gateway could be bidirectional on
rec.collecting.coins, but this would be up to the subscribers on the
list.
----end of included file----