Childhood TV Memories...

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 9:08:32 AM3/4/10
As rec.boats is no longer a newgroup devoted to discussions about boats,
boating and related subjects, I thought it might be fun to intro
a new topic that hopefully will not become "bait" for the usual
collection of thread destroyers here.

So...

When you were a little kid (say, five to 10 years old), what were your
favorite TV shows, or, at least, shows that were shown on TV? (That
would allow inclusion of that "B" movies that were serialized for the
small screen.)

For a little while, I liked Howdy Doody, but I never had the patience
for the slow movement of the show.

I loved Kukla, Fran and Ollie; the Lone Ranger; Hopalong Cassidy; Tom
Corbett, Space Cadet; Mr. Wizard, and a few others. When I was a bit
older, I watched the Mickey Mouse Club. I thought the show was inane,
but I had the pre-teen hots for Annette, the first girl I "saw"
regularly who had tits.

Also listened at night to my little radio to tune into The Lone Ranger.
Now *that* was a great radio show.

What were your favorites?

anon-e-moose

Mar 4, 2010, 9:40:21 AM3/4/10
Odd. If my dad owned a boat yard and shop, I'd spend all my waking hours
there. TV was for rainy days when you couldn't be outside doing things.

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 9:43:15 AM3/4/10

Well, well, well...it didn't take you long to try to trash the
discussion, did it? It's too bad you're hiding behind that skirt of
anonymity.

anon-e-moose

Mar 4, 2010, 10:10:44 AM3/4/10
Trash! In what way tubby? I just have a different prospective on things
than you do.

jpj...@psbnewton.com

Mar 4, 2010, 10:40:13 AM3/4/10
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry <naled...@mypacks.net>
wrote:

"Supercar."

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 10:47:06 AM3/4/10

Not a show with which I have any familiarity. It does have a google
page, though. :>)

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 10:48:00 AM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 9:40 am, jpj...@psbnewton.com wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry <naled24...@mypacks.net>
> "Supercar."- Hide quoted text -

On Tuesday and Wendsday night. Batman, and always Soupy Sales, and
sometimes we could get "Cowboy Bob" in Indianapolis on Channel 4.

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 10:57:07 AM3/4/10

Soupy Sales was *the* big hero in Huntington, West Virginia. He lived
there for a while. Don't ask me how I know that.

Cowboy Bob is another show with which I have no familiarity.

Are you familiar with the radio personality, Ed Walker? He has a
syndicated public radio show called the Big Broadcast, on which he plays
radio comedy and drama shows from the 30's, 40's and 50's. It's fun to
visualize in your mind's eye what only your ears are picking up.

jpj...@psbnewton.com

Mar 4, 2010, 11:11:34 AM3/4/10
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:57:07 -0500, Harry <naled...@mypacks.net>
wrote:

William Conrad was another ubiquitous radio personality. I think his
most notable radio role was as Matt Dillon on "Gunsmoke."

"The Time Tunnel" was another show that I enjoyed. It lasted only a
season, I believe. And then, there was "The Man from U.N.C.L.E..."

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 11:20:32 AM3/4/10

Everything seemed to stop on campus the night The Man from Uncle was on.
Huge crowds wherever there was a big screen color tv.

I didn't think much of that series, though I don't remember why. I did
like Mission Impossible. A distant cousin or uncle of my first wife was
a regular in the series in its early years, but I never met him.

Conrad was great on the radio. He had a voice you could not forget.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 12:00:07 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 10:11 am, jpj...@psbnewton.com wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:57:07 -0500, Harry <naled24...@mypacks.net>
Also the nararator for Rocky and Bullwinkle!

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 12:05:52 PM3/4/10

If we are reaching back that far, I remember Crusader Rabbit. The
original, not the re-intro... Yikes!

jpj...@psbnewton.com

Mar 4, 2010, 12:17:41 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:00:07 -0800 (PST), Tim <tsch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

You did it too me again, Tim! That's another fact I wasn't privy to.
I know it might seem a bit clich�; but, I was, and ever will be, a fan
of the Looney Tunes cartoons. So many of those were commendably well
done. Foghorn Leghorn was my favorite.

Arbiter

Mar 4, 2010, 12:26:12 PM3/4/10
In article <1M-dneveAfHsdRLW...@earthlink.com>, naled24511
@mypacks.net says...

Question raised evocatively by Tim and H. Krause, titled,
"Rocky and Bullwinkle, Crusader Rabbit - their value."
Arbiter includes Clutch Cargo in this group of "cartoon shows."
The finding is that most single Bugs Bunny Looneytune cartoons contained
more art and wit than than the sum of all episodes of the above, and
that the introduction of the above presaged a coarsening of American
culture.
The finding is binding.
Recess.

The Arbiter

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 12:47:50 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 11:26 am, Arbiter <a...@boatingpro.com> wrote:
> In article <1M-dneveAfHsdRLWnZ2dnUVZ_vmdn...@earthlink.com>, naled24511

But you left out "Space Ghost' Which was inovative because they
actually paired the cartoons characters with the movement of human
lips.

And don't forget Captain Kangaroo with "Fred who lived on channel1"

Fred was like amoving etch-a-sketch drawing on a television.

jpj...@psbnewton.com

Mar 4, 2010, 1:05:00 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:47:50 -0800 (PST), Tim <tsch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<<snipped for context>>

>And don't forget Captain Kangaroo with "Fred who lived on channel1"
>
>Fred was like amoving etch-a-sketch drawing on a television.

Wasn't "Tom Terrific" like that?

Arbiter

Mar 4, 2010, 1:17:50 PM3/4/10
In article <d76599d7-4c99-4781-8a45-30cf560f0a35@
15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, tsch...@gmail.com says...

The Arbiters recollection is that Clutch Cargo pioneered the utterly
horrible "technique" of putting moving human lips behind crude drawings
with a hole cut in the mouth, the lips mouthing unsychronized peurile
dialogue. As I said, a coarsening of the culture.
Sold a lot of Sugar Corn Pops though.
This is not a binding finding.

The Arbiter

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 1:19:19 PM3/4/10
Harry wrote:

>>> William Conrad was another ubiquitous radio personality. I think his
>>> most notable radio role was as Matt Dillon on "Gunsmoke."
>>>
>> Also the nararator for Rocky and Bullwinkle!
>

> If we are reaching back that far, I remember Crusader Rabbit. The
> original, not the re-intro... Yikes!

Oy. I almost forgot. My all time favorite, Mr Rodgers.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 1:26:34 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 12:05 pm, jpj...@psbnewton.com wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:47:50 -0800 (PST), Tim <tschna...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> <<snipped for context>>
>

> >And don't forget Captain Kangaroo with "Fred who lived on channel1"
>
> >Fred was like amoving  etch-a-sketch drawing on a television.
>
> Wasn't "Tom Terrific" like that?

No, Tom Terrific with 'Mighty Manfred the wonder dog', was actualy a
seperate cartoon but was also shown on the same TV on the Captains
desk.

'Fred' was a silent character that would jsut sort of weave back and
forth at the knees and when CK would talk to him, he'd turn his head
an blink and nod occasionally. He really was unique for the technology
they had in the late 50's.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 1:29:01 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 12:17 pm, Arbiter <a...@boatingpro.com> wrote:
> In article <d76599d7-4c99-4781-8a45-30cf560f0a35@
> 15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, tschna...@gmail.com says...
> The Arbiter  - Hide quoted text -

Come to think of it that was done with "Clutch' and that very well may
have been the first, but I do rememeber that technique also used with
Space Ghost as well.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 1:31:36 PM3/4/10
Well, those who developed Rocky and Bullwinkle, were probably the only
people at the time to be contacted by the CIA to eliminate characters
from their program. Mr. Big, Boris Baddenoff and Natasha, not counting
other assorted spies ( BTW, did you ever notice that the jet that Mr.
Big flew in looked stragly a kin to a Mig fighter?) were seen as a
threat to peace negotiations with the Russians during the "cold war"
and though ficticious, the CIA thought those characters might be
making fun of the Rooskie's and wanted them removed from the show so
the Rd's wouldn't get hacked off.

Then here comes some of the shows that had a mysterious hat clled the
"Kerwood Derby" which was a play on Gary Moore's side kick named
"Derwood Kirby" . Kirby didn't like it and had his lawyers contact
the creators of Rocky and gave them a cease letter threatening a
lawsuit over the mis-use of the name. They wrote back and said, "Go
ahead and sue us, we need the publicity!" which incidently would have
made Kirby look like an idiot for suing a well-liked cartoon for
defamation.

BTW, in the short-cuts between the feature cartoons, Rocky would walk
out on stage and Bullwinkle would be sitting there in some wizard hat
and gazing into a crystal ball. Then Bullwinkle would say; "Eenie
Meenie, Chilli Beanie. The spirits are about to speak!"

Did you ever figure out that line? Yes, it does have a meaning....

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 1:41:44 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 12:17 pm, Arbiter <a...@boatingpro.com> wrote:
> In article <d76599d7-4c99-4781-8a45-30cf560f0a35@
> 15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, tschna...@gmail.com says...
> The Arbiter  - Hide quoted text -

I'll say I don't really remember that much about Clutch Cargo except
the show had some wierd, yet soft bongo drums playing in the
background, and he spoke barely above a wisper.

Message has been deleted

jps

Mar 4, 2010, 1:47:42 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:17:50 -0600, Arbiter <a...@boatingpro.com> wrote:

>In article <d76599d7-4c99-4781-8a45-30cf560f0a35@
>15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, tsch...@gmail.com says...

The only thing I find binding about your analysis has to do with your
writing style.

Do you have some binding agent that's preventing you from taking a
crap or do you always write in the manner of a 50's tin robot with a
tight lower sphincter?

Do you need to dislodge a stick, branch or root of some kind? Can
John Herring lend you a hand? Maybe Jim the arsehole from lower
Alabama?

Message has been deleted

jps

Mar 4, 2010, 1:50:25 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:31:36 -0800 (PST), Tim <tsch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Well, those who developed Rocky and Bullwinkle, were probably the only

>people at the time to be contacted by the CIA to eliminate characters
>from their program. Mr. Big, Boris Baddenoff and Natasha, not counting
>other assorted spies ( BTW, did you ever notice that the jet that Mr.
>Big flew in looked stragly a kin to a Mig fighter?) were seen as a
>threat to peace negotiations with the Russians during the "cold war"
>and though ficticious, the CIA thought those characters might be
>making fun of the Rooskie's and wanted them removed from the show so
>the Rd's wouldn't get hacked off.

That was probably a valid concern on behalf of the CIA. Look at
Putin's behavior a week ago when their star skater wasn't awarded the
gold.

Russians don't take loses or ribbing easily.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jpj...@psbnewton.com

Mar 4, 2010, 2:00:42 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:43:57 -0500, gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry <naled...@mypacks.net>

>wrote:
>
>>As rec.boats is no longer a newgroup devoted to discussions about boats,
>>boating and related subjects, I thought it might be fun to intro
>>a new topic that hopefully will not become "bait" for the usual
>>collection of thread destroyers here.
>>
>>So...
>>
>>When you were a little kid (say, five to 10 years old), what were your
>>favorite TV shows, or, at least, shows that were shown on TV? (That
>>would allow inclusion of that "B" movies that were serialized for the
>>small screen.)
>>
>>For a little while, I liked Howdy Doody, but I never had the patience
>>for the slow movement of the show.
>>
>>I loved Kukla, Fran and Ollie; the Lone Ranger; Hopalong Cassidy; Tom
>>Corbett, Space Cadet; Mr. Wizard, and a few others. When I was a bit
>>older, I watched the Mickey Mouse Club. I thought the show was inane,
>>but I had the pre-teen hots for Annette, the first girl I "saw"
>>regularly who had tits.
>>
>>Also listened at night to my little radio to tune into The Lone Ranger.
>>Now *that* was a great radio show.
>>
>>What were your favorites?
>>

>We didn't have a TV when I was 10.
>
>I did like an old show called "Life with Elizabeth" with Betty White
>that was around about that time but I saw it at a neighbor's.
>Of course there was Disney with Davy Crockett. I never watched any of
>the kid zoo shows like Kookla, Capt Kangaroo or Buffalo Bob.

Anyone remember "The Beany and Cecil Show"?

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 2:08:07 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 12:51 pm, I am Tosk <justwaitafrekinminu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In article <62e02db7-eb78-4750-a4af-443ab4a25...@g7g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> tschna...@gmail.com says...
> Well, fill us in then man...
>
> Scotty
>
> --
> Can I haz Cheezeburger?- Hide quoted text -

OK, the key to the phrase is "Chilli - Beanie"

Then comes "The Sprits are about to speak!"

In other words?

"Pull my finger"

?;^ )

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

UglyDan®©™

Mar 4, 2010, 2:49:37 PM3/4/10
Mr. Ed

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 2:56:44 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 1:22 pm, I am Tosk <justwaitafrekinminu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <0q00p5119e1pjveus5v7b5pq0ekr94n...@4ax.com>, jpj...@psbnewton.com
> says...
>

> > On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 13:43:57 -0500, gfretw...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > >On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry <naled24...@mypacks.net>
> Yes I do.. And who could forget sunday morning boredom with Timmy (was it) and
> his talking dog? The early claymation type thing where Timmy always did the
> right thing with help from his dog;)
>
> Scotty

> Scotty
>
> --
> Can I haz Cheezeburger?- Hide quoted text -

Kind of a play o "lassie"

'Gumby and Pokey' was cool!

The guy that developed gumby just passed away recently.

?;^ (

Message has been deleted

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 4:23:56 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 1:20 pm, I am Tosk <justwaitafrekinminu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <c3135255-349c-47d0-ab26-5c6865ea1...@f8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
> tschna...@gmail.com says...
> Ok, got it.... 45 frekin' years later;)

> Scotty
>
> --
> Can I haz Cheezeburger?- Hide quoted text -

That's about as long as it took me to figure it out, too!

Bill McKee

Mar 4, 2010, 4:52:42 PM3/4/10

<gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:08:32 -0500, Harry <naled...@mypacks.net>

We had one of the first TV's on the block. Lots of the kids would come over
and watch the TV on Saturday mornings with my brother. I still do not watch
a lot of TV, but as a kid, I would rather go ride my bike and play at the
creek.

John H

Mar 4, 2010, 4:57:51 PM3/4/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:52:42 -0800, "Bill McKee" <bmckee...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

We were probably the last on the block to get a TV. Wonder if it was your house
I'd spend Saturday mornings at.
--
John H

All decisions are the result of binary thinking,
which is why conservatives can see in black and white.

Steve B

Mar 4, 2010, 5:54:18 PM3/4/10

Ehhhhhhhhh Cissssssssssssssssco!

Ehhhhhhhhh Pannnnnnnnnnnnnnnncho!

I recently went to the Leo Carillo museum and property in North San Diego
County. Very enjoyable. I never realized the depth of the man as an actor.

Steve

Steve B

Mar 4, 2010, 5:56:44 PM3/4/10
The Whirlybirds

Sea Hunt ( I learned to dive from the guy that taught Lloyd Bridges. He
could not scuba dive at the beginning of the show)

The one where Festus from Gunsmoke was a skydiver.

Gunsmoke

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 6:04:26 PM3/4/10

Fucking Racist. When I was a kid, we never watched any TV shows where
they use racial stereotypes. I am sure all of the d.f.'s in rec.boats
enjoyed them, and wish they were back on TV.

On Saturday's Lawrence Welk was one of my favorites. Damn that guy
could play an accordion and the bubbles gave it a certain je ne sais quoi.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 6:20:36 PM3/4/10

The show where he was a sky diver was "Rip Cord"

Interestinng thing about Ken Curtis (Festus Hagen). He was origionally
a singer with big bands, and I don't know which one it was but he
later quit a big named band and was replaced by Frank Sinatra.

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 6:21:20 PM3/4/10

Oh, yeah...I remember that one, but probably from Saturday afternoons at
the all-day movie marathons at our local theater or from the radio. A
quarter got you in from 10 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. Great
place to be on a winter's weekend day... :>) Movies, cartoons,
serials, contests...

Anyone else remember...Lash LaRue? :>)

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 6:22:10 PM3/4/10

No recollection of whirlybirds, but I did like Sea Hunt.

Tim

Mar 4, 2010, 6:27:06 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 4:56 pm, "Steve B" <deserttra...@fishymail.net> wrote:

Speaking of... We enjoyed "Sky King" too! I never could understand
flying around in a twin engined plane every episode looking for
trouble. But it was intertaning.

I liked The lone Ranger. Jay Silverheels was my hero. And as kids
playing "cowboys and indians" I didn't mind playing "Tonto." because
I sort of looked the 'red man' part. Ad there's a reason for that.

?;^ )

Harry

Mar 4, 2010, 6:37:57 PM3/4/10

Wow. Silverheels was my hero, too. What a stalwart man! And the strength
of their voices and the quality of the character actors.

Message has been deleted

Bill McKee

Mar 5, 2010, 12:53:26 PM3/5/10

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 13:52:42 -0800, "Bill McKee"
> <bmckee...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>> We didn't have a TV when I was 10.
>>>
>>> I did like an old show called "Life with Elizabeth" with Betty White
>>> that was around about that time but I saw it at a neighbor's.
>>> Of course there was Disney with Davy Crockett. I never watched any of
>>> the kid zoo shows like Kookla, Capt Kangaroo or Buffalo Bob.
>>>

>>We had one of the first TV's on the block. Lots of the kids would come
>>over
>>and watch the TV on Saturday mornings with my brother. I still do not
>>watch
>>a lot of TV, but as a kid, I would rather go ride my bike and play at the
>>creek.
>
> My grandfather had a 1946 Dumont (the one with the little 8" screen in
> a huge box with about a dozen knobs on it)
> My mother thought it separated the family, cut into what we now call
> "quality time" and she didn't want one in the house.
> In retrospect I do think it was a good decision. We spent our evenings
> playing games, doing puzzles or reading stories from those things we
> used to have called books. My father even set up a little BB gun range
> in the basement and we would have "shooting night".
> I did see TV at other kid's houses but it was still fairly rare. "go
> outside and play" was pretty much every mom's rule in those days if it
> wasn't raining. .

Ours was a Magnavox. And we got it about 1948. Admitted the TV was better
in those days. Was aimed at people above the 18-25 age range and those who
had money as it cost a lot for a TV. The poor did not own them. One of
favorites later was Palidin "Have gun, will travel". Saw one the other day
on one of the Dish channels. Still hold up. Definately not a PC correct
show these days.

Wayne.B

Mar 5, 2010, 5:20:37 PM3/5/10

Yes, sometime around the fall of 1958. Peter Gunn also debuted that
season with sort of an edgy (for 1958) plot line and some cool jazz.

Wayne.B

Mar 5, 2010, 5:27:41 PM3/5/10
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:27:06 -0800 (PST), Tim <tsch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I liked The lone Ranger. Jay Silverheels was my hero.

As hundreds of "native americans" ride over the ridge, clearly on the
warpath, the Lone Ranger says: "Hmmm Tonto, we in big trouble" !

Tonto replies: "What do you mean, we, kemo sabe" ?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John H

Mar 5, 2010, 7:43:59 PM3/5/10
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:50:37 -0500, I am Tosk <justwaitafr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <j013p5pg364kde3on...@4ax.com>,
>waynebatr...@hothail.com says...

>He was just pissed because every time Tonto take out garbage Lone Ranger sit
>around and sing "Ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump dump dump"!
>
>Scotty

Did you like that music? Did you ever listen to the William Tell Overture?

http://www.classicsforkids.com/shows/showdesc.asp?id=40

Click on 'Listen to the Show'.
--

"Your honor can never be taken from you. Cherish it, in yourself and in others." (Unknown)

John H

Harry

Mar 5, 2010, 7:53:38 PM3/5/10
On 3/5/10 7:43 PM, John H wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:50:37 -0500, I am Tosk<justwaitafr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In article<j013p5pg364kde3on...@4ax.com>,
>> waynebatr...@hothail.com says...

>>> As hundreds of "native americans" ride over the ridge, clearly on the
>>> warpath, the Lone Ranger says: "Hmmm Tonto, we in big trouble" !
>>>
>>> Tonto replies: "What do you mean, we, kemo sabe" ?
>>
>> He was just pissed because every time Tonto take out garbage Lone Ranger sit
>> around and sing "Ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump, ta-da-dump dump dump"!
>>
>> Scotty
>
> Did you like that music? Did you ever listen to the William Tell Overture?
>
> http://www.classicsforkids.com/shows/showdesc.asp?id=40
>
> Click on 'Listen to the Show'.

Keee-rist. Did *you* ever listen to the opera, William Tell?
I doubt it.

--
Which one is the girl?

http://tinyurl.com/ycpsnzz

Wayne.B

Mar 5, 2010, 7:59:29 PM3/5/10
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:43:59 -0500, John H <salmo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Did you like that music? Did you ever listen to the William Tell Overture?
>
>http://www.classicsforkids.com/shows/showdesc.asp?id=40
>
>Click on 'Listen to the Show'.
>--

The mark of a real culture maven is someone who can listen to the
William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maven

Message has been deleted

Tim

Mar 6, 2010, 12:39:03 AM3/6/10
On Mar 5, 6:59 pm, Wayne.B <waynebatrecdotbo...@hothail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:43:59 -0500, John H <salmonb...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Did you like that music? Did you ever listen to the William Tell Overture?
>
> >http://www.classicsforkids.com/shows/showdesc.asp?id=40
>
> >Click on 'Listen to the Show'.
> >--
>
> The mark of a real culture maven is someone who can listen to the
> William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maven

OK, that's easy. "Lark:" brand Cigarettes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCrcCqiSM0

mgg

Mar 6, 2010, 12:54:39 AM3/6/10

"Tim" <tsch...@gmail.com> wrote in message

LOL! That's the brand my mom used to smoke. She was the only person I ever
knew that smoked Lark. Luckily, she gave it up 30 years ago.

--Mike

Message has been deleted

John H

Mar 6, 2010, 12:41:00 PM3/6/10
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:59:29 -0400, Wayne.B <waynebatr...@hothail.com>
wrote:

Then I don't qualify.

When the chase starts, I see the Lone Ranger galloping along.

Bill McKee

Mar 6, 2010, 6:45:23 PM3/6/10

"Wayne.B" <waynebatr...@hothail.com> wrote in message

And the early Richard Diamond, Private Eye. Mr. Lucky, before they became
PC, and he ran a gambling ship were both good series.

Bill McKee

Mar 6, 2010, 6:47:05 PM3/6/10

"Wayne.B" <waynebatr...@hothail.com> wrote in message

And the reason the William Tell Overture was used, was because it is a great
sounding overture and there were no copyrights in effect when the radio show
started.

Tim

Mar 6, 2010, 7:50:36 PM3/6/10
On Mar 6, 5:45 pm, "Bill McKee" <bmckeespam...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> "Wayne.B" <waynebatrecdotbo...@hothail.com> wrote in message

When I was quite small, dad and I would stay up and watch "The
Untouchables" Also another favorite drama was "The Naked City" with
Rod Cameron. I don't remember much about it, though. But "The
Millionaire" was a really interesting study about people. Sometimes he
couldn't even give away a million bucks!

Besides the game shows What's my Line, and To Tell The Truth, remember
the game show "Beat the Clock" with Bud Collyer?

Message has been deleted

Wayne.B

Mar 7, 2010, 12:41:04 AM3/7/10
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 16:50:36 -0800 (PST), Tim <tsch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Besides the game shows What's my Line, and To Tell The Truth, remember

>the game show "Beat the Clock" with Bud Collyer?

I was an "imposter" on To Tell The Truth back in the early 70s, got
one wrong vote from Peggy Cass.

Message has been deleted

Wayne.B

Mar 7, 2010, 6:59:13 AM3/7/10
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 01:41:32 -0500, I am Tosk
<justwaitafr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <0te6p5t4r6m84mu5p...@4ax.com>,
>waynebatr...@hothail.com says...

>Very cool, weren't you sort of in the industry?

No, I was never in the TV industry. The guy that I "imposted" was a
fellow named Ken Brock whose claim to fame was flying a gyrocopter
across the country. A gyrocopter looks something like a go cart with
a rotor blade on top. and a pusher prop on the back. They picked me
because I knew a little about flying.

<http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Brock%20KB-2%20Gyroplane.asp>

Steve B

Mar 7, 2010, 11:26:56 AM3/7/10

"Wayne.B" <waynebatr...@hothail.com> wrote in message

I thought that was you. ;-) Very interesting. I think the best one was
Frank who they went on to make Catch Me If You Can based on his life. Who
was the real character in your threesome, and what was he known for?

Steve

Steve B

Mar 7, 2010, 11:37:58 AM3/7/10

"Wayne.B" <waynebatr...@hothail.com> wrote in message

I was on several episodes of Vegas with Dan Tanner, Robert Urich. Got paid
for several episodes where I was there, and they filmed or not. Spoke in
one. "Sure thing, Dan." I said as he tossed me the keys. I was a parking
attendant at the DI at the time.

The T Bird they used was such a POS that most of the scenes that weren't
blue screened the Bird had to be towed. You'd think they'd at least buy a
running car. The building they showed at the beginning as his was actually
a gardener's storage building. All gone now.
Ahhh. The old days.

It was right at $100 to be an extra. I forget what it was for speaking.
But they had the best catering, and you could eat all you wanted for free.
And you got to be on the INSIDE of the ropes. They used so many doubles for
him, I think I saw him only once.

Filming is like watching water evaporate. It is slow. Do the same little
thing twenty times, and then it gets edited. Wait, wait, wait.

Worked with Eric Estrada in Last Rider. He was polite, unlike a lot of
celebs, and a jokester. My big part was to clean up the mess when they blew
up the trailer. $3000 for two days work wasn't bad. I had some teens I
knew, they were thrilled to do it, ate a lot, drank a lot of soft drinks,
and each got two Franklins for two days work. Got to talk to the pyro guys
a lot and see a lot of stuff being blown up. Still, S-L-O-W ! But when
they get ready to leave, they're like ants. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Bill McKee

Mar 7, 2010, 12:42:49 PM3/7/10

"Steve B" <desert...@fishymail.net> wrote in message

You are correct on slow. Used to see a lot of film shoots when I worked
nights in San Francisco. Was actually interesting to see the film Towering
Inferno. As watched the filming for weeks, and nothing ever seemed to move.
My claim to fame in the movie industry, is I am in the original Herbie
movie. About 10 seconds of me and my Corvette racecar at Laguna Seca.