Solo Canoe recommendations please.

990rick

Oct 2, 2011, 1:30:37 AM10/2/11

I posted this previously in the General forum, which I now know was my
error. I'm looking to get back into solo canoeing and am very much out
of the loop as to what models to consider. I'd mainly be traversing
lakes, but would like a canoe that can handle at least some white water.
One problem I've run into in my search so far is that there are very few
dealerships selling solo canoes in the Pacific Northwest (I include
Northern California). I was very intrigued by the Swift Osprey, but I
can't find anyone anywhere within 500 miles who sells them. The new Mad
River Serenade seems like a possibility, but I'll have to travel 500
miles to Bellingham Washington to try one, once the dealer there has one
in stock. Any recommendations for solo canoes and/or dealers in the PNW
would sure be a big help. Thanks.

--
990rick

pmhi...@myfairpoint.net

Oct 2, 2011, 9:50:08 AM10/2/11
If there are dealers out there for them. the Old Town Discovery 169 is
a standard among guides & outfitters for single paddlers / light loads
in the north woods. You might also consider the slightly longer Old
Town Tripper (17'2") which has a tiny bit of rocker and
proportionately bigger load capacity while retaining the stability &
maneuverability of the Discovery.

Steve

Oct 4, 2011, 11:55:25 AM10/4/11
Had a FG Swift Osprey nice boat but not a dry boat. Recently picked up
a couple of Wenonah Rendezvous'.
http://wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=38&SID=bbb3ac1d69501a83e393d591f487710a

One is Kevlar, which I don't think they offer anymore, with a tractor
seat - very light for my wife. The other is Royalex set up with Mike Yee
outfitting. Nice paddling boats.

http://www.mikeyeeoutfitting.com/o_gallery/outfitting.htm

Steve