Phil Wood bearing replacement

AGRIBOB

Jun 1, 2004, 7:43:59 PM6/1/04
I need to replace the bearings in a Phil FSA rear hub. Can someone provide
directions or a link to the directions to do so.

Thanks in Advance, Bob

Tim McNamara

Jun 1, 2004, 8:27:24 PM6/1/04
agr...@aol.com (AGRIBOB) writes:

> I need to replace the bearings in a Phil FSA rear hub. Can someone provide
> directions or a link to the directions to do so.

1. Buy the correct bearings, either from Phil or from a bearing
supply house (there are numbers on the side of the bearings to
identify the ones you need).

2. Take off the freewheel and take out the skewer.

3. Stick one 5 mm Allen wrench in either end of the axle; unscrew.

4. Pop out the old bearings and put in new bearings.

5. Reverse steps 2 through 4.

6. Ride.

www.philwood.com probably has more information and even diagrams.
Good luck, it's really simple to do. Oddly enough, I've got Phil hubs
that are years old (old enough to be the three piece design) and they
have not yet needed bearing replacements- still smooth as silk. Just
as well, they are not FSA hubs!

AGRIBOB

Jun 2, 2004, 12:01:42 AM6/2/04
> Buy the correct bearings, either from Phil or from a bearing
> supply house (there are numbers on the side of the bearings to
> identify the ones you need).

Thanks,
The hub is apart and the bearings are out. It WAS pretty straightforward.
Now I need some new bearings. Are the Phil's "the best"? I'll see what
(local) Mcguire Bearing has to offer. Any thoughts.

Thanks, Bob

Doug Huffman

Jun 2, 2004, 11:02:24 AM6/2/04
Beyond the marked variations in quality - and those are too technical to
discuss here - there is no difference. Remember that you DO NOT get what
you pay for but only its marketing. A bearing is a bearing and either works
or it doesn't.

"AGRIBOB" <agr...@aol.com> wrote in message

daveornee

Jun 2, 2004, 11:45:20 AM6/2/04

Seal drag and durability are different amongst cartridges of the same
size. Ball bearings used are also different in material and precision.
Phil Wood has the advantage of experience in knowing what works best in
the bicycle hub applications. Initial seal drag may seem like a negative
issue to begin with, but it can change over time and end up being a
positive, if it is more durable to the environment of the hub.