Bar-end or Downtube shifters?

Paul Myron Hobson

May 10, 2007, 1:40:47 AM5/10/07
I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.

Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
potentially more convenient location? (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at
nashbar, btw)

\\paul

Ozark Bicycle

May 10, 2007, 7:14:02 AM5/10/07
On May 10, 12:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.
>
> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location?

Darned if I can think of one....

> (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at nashbar, btw)

Hmmm.....the diff was larger than that in the past.

andre...@aol.com

May 10, 2007, 8:12:31 AM5/10/07

Also, if you ever want to fix, swap, do stuff to the handlebar or
stem, you don't have to remove or replace so much stuff.

Andres

Andy M-S

May 10, 2007, 8:21:59 AM5/10/07

I don't think you're missing anything. For some people, that location
is important; I prefer the aesthetics and peformance/feel of DT
shifters, myself...

larrylike...@yahoo.com

May 10, 2007, 8:29:25 AM5/10/07
On May 10, 1:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:

> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location?

Strike potentially and you have the reason that bar ends have an
advantage. Bar ends mean never having to take your hands of the bars
when shifting; nice for racing, not a big deal for just riding.

Qui si parla Campagnolo

May 10, 2007, 8:32:02 AM5/10/07

Nope..

RonSonic

May 10, 2007, 9:47:28 AM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:40:47 -0400, Paul Myron Hobson <pho...@gatech.edu>
wrote:

You can shift without having your knees in the way.

Ron

russell...@yahoo.com

May 10, 2007, 9:59:48 AM5/10/07
On May 10, 12:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.
>
> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location?

Not potentially more convenient location. Actual, real more
convenient location. No potential to it. Cable routing is easier on
downtube. So what. You only redo the cables a couple times a
decade. The downtube bosses are used by the bar end shifters for the
cable stops. They won't be left uncovered.

Sir Ridesalot

May 10, 2007, 10:40:36 AM5/10/07

Hi there.

In my opinion the answer is yes and no.

Once upon a time in a bicycle world far away down tube shifters were
touted as giving faster crisper shifts than bar ends due to their much
shorter cable runs, less cable housing and lack of long looping curved
cables from the bar ends.

Of course this was in the same era where a well known bicycling mag
bemoaned the increasing popularity of 15 gear bikes. Their mantra was
that 10 gears were plenty.

If you take a bar end equipped bike onto narrow trails there is a
potential for a cable to snag.

Many people still prefer down tube shifters. For some it is because of
their aesthetically clean look. Some of those who like index shifting
buy the bar ends and mount them on the down tube. Weight concious
riders might like the down tube shifter because their is only the
short section of cable housing at the rear deraileur.

Many others still prefer the location of bar ends. They can be used
with out removing your hand from the bar. They were very popular on
touring bikes at one time because of that. Some people also like the
look of the loops of cable housing.

Oh, here is a thought. If you ride a big frame you might find the
reach to a down tube shifter awkward. Bar ends *might* be better for
large riders.

Down tube shifters have an advantage if you change from drop to
upright bars becayse you can still use the same shifters. I have known
people who have switched their bar temporarily due to a slight, bot
necessarilly a bicycle related, injury where the upright position
allowed them to ride while recovering.

What it all boils down to is what you find most comfortable and/or
aesthetically pleasing for you.

Cheers from Peter

Ryan Cousineau

May 10, 2007, 11:09:28 AM5/10/07
In article <1178800165.1...@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
larrylike...@yahoo.com wrote:

Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?

Because your competitors could shift for you.

A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
happened,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

frkr...@gmail.com

May 10, 2007, 11:39:55 AM5/10/07
On May 10, 1:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:

I think the more convenient location is by far the biggest
difference. In some cases, bar end shifters have cables flying out in
front of the head tube, which I don't like. But I fixed that by
running my shifter cables under the handlebar tape to a location close
to the stem.

Removing handlebars is slightly easier with downtube shifters, if
that's an issue for you.

On the balance, the more convenient location wins easily for me.
After years of down tube shifters, I got tired of doing a mini-one-
hand-pushup every time I wanted to shift. I fell in love with bar
ends as soon as I tried them.

How much this matters probably depends how often a person likes to
shift. Some folks shift rarely. I shift a lot.

BTW, if you don't mind reaching down, there's always the choice of an
old direct-lever-actuated front changer. No cable run at all!

- Frank Krygowski

Dave Reckoning

May 10, 2007, 11:50:07 AM5/10/07
"RonSonic" <rons...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Or with bar end you can shift with your knees...

Dave

Hank Wirtz

May 10, 2007, 12:47:51 PM5/10/07

Back in the day, there was the "DTs have better shifting" argument,
but that's been mooted by compressionless housing.

BCDrums

May 10, 2007, 1:30:06 PM5/10/07

I got bar-ends in the late '70s and have had them to this day. I found
them way better than downtube shifters. Maybe it's just me, but I always
had to look for the DT shifter to grab it. Not so with BEs. Just slide
my hands along the bar, eyes stay on the road.

Hands never leave the bar; better control.

BC
shifty

Ozark Bicycle

May 10, 2007, 1:32:43 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 10:09 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> In article <1178800165.155355.207...@e51g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> larrylikesthecir...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > On May 10, 1:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> > > potentially more convenient location?
>
> > Strike potentially and you have the reason that bar ends have an
> > advantage. Bar ends mean never having to take your hands of the bars
> > when shifting; nice for racing, not a big deal for just riding.
>
> Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?
>
> Because your competitors could shift for you.
>
> A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
> happened,

ISTR that one of the earliest racing caveats regarding DA SIS was that
others would know when you were shifting from hearing the clicks. That
didn't slow the Indexed Shifting Revolution much, did it?

Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.

Jay Beattie

May 10, 2007, 1:49:16 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 10:32 am, Ozark Bicycle
> Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.- Hide quoted text -

But with SIS, you got the shift! IME, I only got pounced when I was
fussing around with friction shifting.

As far as someone shifting bar-ends for you, see Breaking Away -- it
can happen with DT shifters too, particularly if you race against the
unscrupulous Cinzano team.

I have a somewhat dissenting view on bar-ends. I used them on my
touring bike for many years but never did like the fact that I could
whack them with my knees when climbing out of the saddle. I didn't
like them on my tandem because when pulling up on the non-indexed
front shifter, I tended to swing the bar a little and steer the bike
(a peculiarity of the stiff FD and the cable run on that tandem). I
went to STI on the touring bike and first gen Sachs Ergo on the
tandem. -- Jay Beattie.

Clive George

May 10, 2007, 1:44:02 PM5/10/07
"Ozark Bicycle" <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote in message

>> Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?
>>
>> Because your competitors could shift for you.
>>
>> A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
>> happened,
>
> ISTR that one of the earliest racing caveats regarding DA SIS was that
> others would know when you were shifting from hearing the clicks. That
> didn't slow the Indexed Shifting Revolution much, did it?
>
> Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.

I've had it done to me and done it to others, though we weren't racing, just
being silly. Dropping you into either granny from big ring or top gear from
bottom while climbing is remarkably effective at slowing you up :-)

cheers,
clive

Sir Ridesalot

May 10, 2007, 1:52:30 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 1:32 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.- Hide quoted text -

Hi.

I remember hearing that too. I also remember hearing that some riders
would fool their opponents by shifting with the index feature to get
them used to hearing a click and then later shifting with the friction
option engaged thus catching t he opponent unawares.

Cheers from Peter

Ryan Cousineau

May 10, 2007, 1:57:56 PM5/10/07
In article <F4SdnQ--R7-tot7b...@insightbb.com>,
"Dave Reckoning" <Jo...@smith.com> wrote:

You're not trying hard enough. When I feel like it (this is purely a
stunt, not a something I do on a daily basis) I can bang out some shifts
with the DT shifters on my commuter using my knees.

I think the one semi-useful circumstance is one corner on my commute
which combines a descending approach with a sharp uphill after the
corner. Since I'm braking on the approach to the corner, if I have
forgotten to drop to the middle ring before I get to the corner, I may
have a problem. A well-placed knee has been the solution once or twice.

I'm 5'6" and ride 52-54 cm frames. I would not be surprised to find this
was a morphologically specific stunt.

Ozark Bicycle

May 10, 2007, 2:03:45 PM5/10/07

You Canadians are more devious than we in the US! ;-)

Booker C. Bense

May 10, 2007, 2:22:03 PM5/10/07

Aeek

May 10, 2007, 5:56:53 PM5/10/07
On 10 May 2007 10:49:16 -0700, Jay Beattie <jbea...@lindsayhart.com>
wrote:

>I have a somewhat dissenting view on bar-ends. I used them on my
>touring bike for many years but never did like the fact that I could
>whack them with my knees when climbing out of the saddle.

That's down to the bars. My new bars solved that problem, um, as
standard on a built Surly Crosscheck. Wider at the bottom.

frkr...@gmail.com

May 10, 2007, 6:08:37 PM5/10/07
On May 10, 5:56 pm, Aeek <aeeee...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> On 10 May 2007 10:49:16 -0700, Jay Beattie <jbeat...@lindsayhart.com>

> wrote:
>
> >I have a somewhat dissenting view on bar-ends. I used them on my
> >touring bike for many years but never did like the fact that I could
> >whack them with my knees when climbing out of the saddle.
>
> That's down to the bars. My new bars solved that problem, um, as
> standard on a built Surly Crosscheck. Wider at the bottom.

The other solution is to saw an inch or two off the ends of the drop
bars before installation. This should solve the problem, unless your
knees hit the handlebar plugs when you have no shifters there.

And just think of the grams you'll save!

- Frank Krygowski

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 6:26:04 PM5/10/07
On 10 May 2007 05:29:25 -0700, larrylike...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Bar ends mean never having to take your hands of the bars
>when shifting; nice for racing,

? What about if your hands are on the hoods or tops? Do you slide
them along the bar? That doesn't sound wise. I imagine you'd have to
take your hands off the bars.

--
JT
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 6:29:14 PM5/10/07
On Thu, 10 May 2007 15:09:28 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@sfu.ca>
wrote:

>Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?
>
>Because your competitors could shift for you.
>
>A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
>happened,

I don't believe this was at all common. It would have resulted in
fights, protests, etc. Plus crashes.

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 6:30:38 PM5/10/07
On 10 May 2007 10:32:43 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>ISTR that one of the earliest racing caveats regarding DA SIS was that
>others would know when you were shifting from hearing the clicks. That
>didn't slow the Indexed Shifting Revolution much, did it?
>
>Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.

Is it mythology if almost no one cares about it?

Message has been deleted

Booker C. Bense

May 10, 2007, 7:21:04 PM5/10/07
In article <1a874351efq7b045n...@4ax.com>,
still me <wheel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 May 2007 18:26:04 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
><usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:
>
>>? What about if your hands are on the hoods or tops? Do you slide
>>them along the bar? That doesn't sound wise. I imagine you'd have to
>>take your hands off the bars.
>>

>ALong those same lines, if your hand is on the drop bars near the bar
>end (rare for me) then you are not very far from the downtube shifter
>anyway. If you are crouched and in the curve of the drops, then it
>actually seems more natural to reach the downtube as your body is
>curled tight. Getting to the bar ends is a crunch.
>
>I see an advantage to bar ends with an all rounder type bar as you are
>likely upright, or maybe with mustache bars where you lean forward
>rather than downward (although I still can't figure out why you'd need
>mustache bars).

_ IMHO, the one advantage of bar ends is that you can easily
shift while steering in rough terrain where you don't want to let
go of the bars. That's something that I never figured out with
downtube shifters.

_ Booker c. Bense

BCDrums

May 10, 2007, 7:39:17 PM5/10/07
Jay Beattie wrote:

> I have a somewhat dissenting view on bar-ends. I used them on my
> touring bike for many years but never did like the fact that I could
> whack them with my knees when climbing out of the saddle. I didn't
> like them on my tandem because when pulling up on the non-indexed
> front shifter, I tended to swing the bar a little and steer the bike
> (a peculiarity of the stiff FD and the cable run on that tandem). I
> went to STI on the touring bike and first gen Sachs Ergo on the
> tandem. -- Jay Beattie.

I have never hit a bar-end with my knee while riding. It sounds
difficult, but I guess you managed!

BC
wide bar

Jay Beattie

May 10, 2007, 8:15:20 PM5/10/07

Not difficult if you are tall and have long thighs, and in fact, this
was a common gripe back when fingertips were more popular. -- Jay
Beattie.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

May 10, 2007, 8:45:07 PM5/10/07
John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

>> Bar ends mean never having to take your hands of the bars when
>> shifting; nice for racing,

> What about if your hands are on the hoods or tops? Do you slide

> them along the bar? That doesn't sound wise. I imagine you'd have
> to take your hands off the bars.

The way you say that it sounds like one cannot reasonably ride unless
both hands are securely on the bars and that shifting is something
that becomes necessary suddenly and spontaneously... and that we are
all top class racers in contention for some huge gain.

I don't buy it.

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

May 10, 2007, 8:50:02 PM5/10/07
John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

>>Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?

>>Because your competitors could shift for you.

>> A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
>> happened,

I see you'll believe any lore that gets retold, like ranchers shooting
trespassers with rock salt shotgun loads. How many times have we heard
that one?

> I don't believe this was at all common. It would have resulted in
> fights, protests, etc. Plus crashes.

We've done that for kicks (on downtube shifters) but not in a race.
Let's keep the BS down to a bearable level!

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

May 10, 2007, 8:53:29 PM5/10/07
John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

>> ISTR that one of the earliest racing caveats regarding DA SIS was that
>> others would know when you were shifting from hearing the clicks. That
>> didn't slow the Indexed Shifting Revolution much, did it?

>> Lotsa mythology in the ol' peleton, IMO.

> Is it mythology if almost no one cares about it?

That no one cares about it may be one thing but no one cares what gear
you are in. If you watch videos you will note that the riders are not
pedaling synchronously in the same gear. Why do type of gear shift
levers raise so much BS?

Jobst Brandt

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 9:06:04 PM5/10/07
On 11 May 2007 00:45:07 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson writes:
>
>>> Bar ends mean never having to take your hands of the bars when
>>> shifting; nice for racing,
>
>> What about if your hands are on the hoods or tops? Do you slide
>> them along the bar? That doesn't sound wise. I imagine you'd have
>> to take your hands off the bars.
>
>The way you say that it sounds like one cannot reasonably ride unless
>both hands are securely on the bars

No, the person I quoted said that. I'm asking how that is so with bar
ends.

> and that shifting is something
>that becomes necessary suddenly and spontaneously...

It can in bike races when someone does something to surprise you.

>and that we are
>all top class racers in contention for some huge gain.

The person I'm quoting referred to racing, so I'm interested in that.
If you're not intereted in racing, ignore the discussion.

Also, here I am with one hand off the handlebars on a bike -- you
might want to imagine that I'm gesturing at you

http://www.jt10000.com/team/tgal/ssfloyd00jt.htm

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 9:08:34 PM5/10/07
On 11 May 2007 00:50:02 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson writes:
>
>>>Do you know why racers basically never used bar end shifters?
>
>>>Because your competitors could shift for you.
>
>>> A friend with racing experience from back then swears this actually
>>> happened,
>
>I see you'll believe any lore that gets retold,

Who is the "you" to which you are referring?

> like ranchers shooting
>trespassers with rock salt shotgun loads.

WTF are you talking about?

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 10, 2007, 9:13:24 PM5/10/07
On 11 May 2007 00:53:29 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>That no one cares about it may be one thing but no one cares what gear
>you are in. If you watch videos you will note that the riders are not
>pedaling synchronously in the same gear. Why do type of gear shift
>levers raise so much BS?

Jobst, I know you are a hammer on the bike and a great engineer. But
you have demonstrated, repeatedly, profound ignorance and
misconceptions about bike racing (I assume that is what you mean by
watch videos). You refer to lore and bad practice from years ago, and
singular anecdotes, to make pronouncements about bike racing. Often
flawed.

If you watch bike racing, there is relatively little variation in
cadence among riders in similar situations at the high end of the
sport. And even where there is variation among riders, most riders
follow the same patterns of when they shift up or down. And those
same riders tend to perform best within relatively narrow bands of
cadences.

If you're not racing and just want to not shift, more power to you.
But simply becuse cadence doesn't matter to you, or even, perhaps, to
most people, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to anyone.

RonSonic

May 11, 2007, 10:14:27 AM5/11/07
On 11 May 2007 00:53:29 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

That original line came from one of the Cycling mags of that day - I remember
reading it and snorting. Roughly contemporaneous with Calvin's subscription to
"Chewing: the magazine."

The idea was to write a sentence that was critical of this new product in a way
that did nothing to discourage anyone from shelling out money for it. After all
the writer should be even-handed and this proves it.

It's just wordplay and marketing. Nobody except the most completely mag-fed Fred
ever worried for more than a moment about that. In reality they simply didn't
see the advantage of clicky DT shifters.

Ron

Camilo

May 11, 2007, 12:22:23 PM5/11/07
On May 9, 9:40 pm, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.
>
> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location? (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at
> nashbar, btw)
>
> \\paul

Back in the day, a looong time ago, the "conventional wisdom" I heard
(urban legend?) was that down tube shifters would produce quicker,
crisper shifting because there is so much less cable length than bar-
end shifters. FWIW. I haven't had bar-end shifters since my Windsor
was stolen in 1978, but I rode with down tube shifters until this
spring when I finally acquired an STI bike.

I can't really remember the bar-end shifting except that it was so
much better than the POS bike it replaced (a late 90s Gitane w/ Huret)
that I was very happy at the time. I do know that I always felt very
comfortable with downtube. THink of it this way: until a few years
ago, almost every serious cyclist and racer in the world used down
tube shifters.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

May 11, 2007, 4:47:58 PM5/11/07
Camilo who? writes:

>> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
>> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.

>> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
>> potentially more convenient location? (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at
>> nashbar, btw)

> Back in the day, a looong time ago, the "conventional wisdom" I

> heard (urban legend?) was that down tube shifters would produce
> quicker, crisper shifting because there is so much less cable length
> than bar- end shifters. FWIW. I haven't had bar-end shifters since
> my Windsor was stolen in 1978, but I rode with down tube shifters
> until this spring when I finally acquired an STI bike.

> I can't really remember the bar-end shifting except that it was so
> much better than the POS bike it replaced (a late 90s Gitane w/
> Huret) that I was very happy at the time. I do know that I always

> felt very comfortable with downtube. Think of it this way: until a

> few years ago, almost every serious cyclist and racer in the world
> used down tube shifters.

I think you missed something there. To shift a bar-end shifter you
must first grasp the bar-end and then use your little finger or the
heel of your hand to move the lever. You cannot just hit the lever
into top gear, for instance, as one could with a DT lever, or for that
matter kick it down a gear without grasping the downtube.

I don't know anyone who rides grasping the tail end of drop bars, but
that is the position required for shifting bar-end levers. If you
don't, you'll wobble all over the road when shifting by introducing
steering motions.

You must have forgotten about that effect.

Jobst Brandt

Dane Buson

May 11, 2007, 6:18:09 PM5/11/07
jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> I think you missed something there. To shift a bar-end shifter you
> must first grasp the bar-end and then use your little finger or the
> heel of your hand to move the lever. You cannot just hit the lever
> into top gear, for instance, as one could with a DT lever, or for that
> matter kick it down a gear without grasping the downtube.

Well, for upshifting, I do have to grasp the lever or bar I'll admit.

For downshifting, I do that without grasping the bar all the time.
Though you do get better control grasping it.

> I don't know anyone who rides grasping the tail end of drop bars, but
> that is the position required for shifting bar-end levers.

Actually, I see people doing that all the time here in Seattle. I just
write it off to a poorly fit bike.

> If you don't, you'll wobble all over the road when shifting by introducing
> steering motions.

Eh, I've never noticed it, but I'm not going to say you're wrong.

> You must have forgotten about that effect.

Rather, it's so trivial to shift without wobbling that even the least
accomplished cyclist probably doesn't do it after a short while of using
barcons. I generally only shift with one hand at a time, so the other
hand steadies the bar. [0] YMMV, OVWP, IANAL, PDSICE [1].

Also, the old trope [2] about not being able to shift while standing
with bar-cons is not true. Oh, it's not as easy as I'd like, but it's
certainly doable. I spent about 15 miles doing it last summer when I
broke my seatpost bolt.

[0] If I double shift, I do drop my hands down to the end of the drops.
[1] CQFVPR - Cyrnfr Qba'g Fubbg, V'z Pnanqvna. Ru?
[2] Yes, I know noone has brought it up, but why not throw some fuel on
the fire? Didn't the last bar-con thread blow up to 1000 posts or
something ludicrous like that?

--
Dane Buson - sig...@unixbigots.org
"The trouble with getting a life is making the payments."

frkr...@gmail.com

May 11, 2007, 6:19:54 PM5/11/07
On May 11, 4:47 pm, jobst.bra...@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> I think you missed something there. To shift a bar-end shifter you
> must first grasp the bar-end and then use your little finger or the
> heel of your hand to move the lever. You cannot just hit the lever
> into top gear, for instance, as one could with a DT lever, or for that
> matter kick it down a gear without grasping the downtube.

Well, on my bar-end bikes, I never shift while grasping the
downtube. ;-)

> I don't know anyone who rides grasping the tail end of drop bars, but
> that is the position required for shifting bar-end levers. If you
> don't, you'll wobble all over the road when shifting by introducing
> steering motions.
>
> You must have forgotten about that effect.

I have _certainly_ forgotten about that effect!

Admittedly, I haven't ridden one of my bar-end bikes since yesterday.
But I don't think my memory is that bad yet!

Anyone capable of riding one-handed should be able to shift a bar end
with no extra wobble, just as I do. Anyone who can't ride one-handed
should learn that easy skill.

- Frank Krygowski

Günther Schwarz

May 11, 2007, 6:35:18 PM5/11/07
frkr...@gmail.com wrote:

> Anyone capable of riding one-handed should be able to shift a bar end
> with no extra wobble, just as I do. Anyone who can't ride one-handed
> should learn that easy skill.

Well spoken, but this applies to down tube shifters also. Plus they
allow for shifting both front and rear with just one hand.
As for the OP, I can see only little reason not to use brifters on a
road bike. They are convenient and work well. No need to buy the
overpriced top class models.

Günther

Peter Cole

May 11, 2007, 7:00:02 PM5/11/07
Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.
>
> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location? (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at
> nashbar, btw)
>
> \\paul

I hate DT, love BE, YMMV.

Peter Cole

May 11, 2007, 7:05:10 PM5/11/07

I'm somewhat of a long thigh expert, and have always used bar ends. I
haven't had this problem since I retired my 70's style fashionably
narrow bars.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

May 11, 2007, 7:15:16 PM5/11/07
Günther Schwarz writes:

>> Anyone capable of riding one-handed should be able to shift a bar
>> end with no extra wobble, just as I do. Anyone who can't ride
>> one-handed should learn that easy skill.

You may say that but I've ridden with enough guys who had bar-end
shifters to recall that they didn't just hit the lever, but grasped
the bar before moving to another gear. That one can ride standing
while grasping the bar-ends is no proof that it is convenient or
analogous to shifting STI while standing.

> Well spoken, but this applies to down tube shifters also. Plus they
> allow for shifting both front and rear with just one hand. As for
> the OP, I can see only little reason not to use brifters on a road
> bike. They are convenient and work well. No need to buy the
> overpriced top class models.

On the other hand, we have handlebar controls of various kinds because
too many riders cannot ride with only one hand on the bars.

No hands... no way!

Jobst Brandt

John Forrest Tomlinson

May 11, 2007, 8:03:51 PM5/11/07
On 11 May 2007 23:15:16 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> On the other hand, we have handlebar
> controls of various kinds because
> too many riders cannot ride with only one hand on the bars.

I like integrated shifters because I can shift while out of the
saddle. I couldn't do that when going hard with downtube shifters.

I'm not sure you're interested in doing that with downtube shifters,
but if you wanted to, could you?

G.T.

May 11, 2007, 10:51:36 PM5/11/07

<jobst....@stanfordalumni.org> wrote in message
Günther Schwarz writes:

>> Anyone capable of riding one-handed should be able to shift a bar
>> end with no extra wobble, just as I do. Anyone who can't ride
>> one-handed should learn that easy skill.

> You may say that but I've ridden with enough guys who had bar-end
> shifters to recall that they didn't just hit the lever, but grasped
> the bar before moving to another gear.

BS. My Ultegra bar-end shifters are so light action that I absolutely do
not need to grab the bar to shift. I can shift them just like downtube
shifters.

Greg
--
Ticketbastard tax tracker:
http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

RonSonic

May 13, 2007, 8:53:47 AM5/13/07

And it is still one hell of a lot easier than shifting DTs while standing.

>[0] If I double shift, I do drop my hands down to the end of the drops.
>[1] CQFVPR - Cyrnfr Qba'g Fubbg, V'z Pnanqvna. Ru?
>[2] Yes, I know noone has brought it up, but why not throw some fuel on
> the fire? Didn't the last bar-con thread blow up to 1000 posts or
> something ludicrous like that?

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

dusto...@mac.com

May 13, 2007, 11:12:09 AM5/13/07
On May 10, 12:40 am, Paul Myron Hobson <phob...@gatech.edu> wrote:
> I'm leaning towards downtube shifters b/c the cable routing seems
> simpler and the frame already has the bosses for them.
>
> Am I missing anything advantageous about bar-ends besides the
> potentially more convenient location? (DTs are $20 cheaper than BEs at
> nashbar, btw)

After the dis-cuss-shun...

Buy some. Get them set up correctly, and spend some time riding them.
Then you can have your own expert opinion.

Boy, that was easy, wasn't it? <g>

As with many things in life, some find bar-ends to be wonderful. Some
really don't like them. Whatever, it's a wonderful world when you can
get your transportation and/or toys set up to suit yourself.

I didn't see brifters mentioned in the dis/cuss/shun. Brifters? same
thing. Some like, some don't.

The brifter shifting position is IMHO optimal for bike control--
having the hands wrapped around hoods, palms facing in offers a lot of
leverage, personally where I feel the most "powerful" for balance and
grip, including lifting the front wheel. With Campy (the system I ride
and know), at least, you (can) shift/brake while in that position, or
very close to it. "That's why I like it", in addition to good shifting
performance. --D-y