CO2 Used To Fill Tube with Slime

1 view

Speed

Nov 9, 2003, 1:51:14 PM11/9/03
Are there any considerations in using one of the small CO2 devices to
fill a tube that has Slime in it? I did so the other day and it
sounded like the Slime was cracking inside the tube. Someone I work
with told me that the coldness of the CO2 was not good for the Slime
or the tube.

Thanks,

Speed

Carl Fogel

Nov 9, 2003, 8:27:17 PM11/9/03
Speed <Sp...@speed.com> wrote in message news:<nq2tqvkpbck4bhfhp...@4ax.com>...

Dear Speed,

Slime tubes, as far as I know, are pretty much
normal tubes. The only difference is that their
valves unscrew to allow filling at the factory.
So the tubes themselves wouldn't be any more prone
to cold damage than normal tubes. If anything, the
extra mass of several ounces of ambient temperature
slime would prevent the tube from getting as cold
when the CO2 expanded to fill the tube.

As for the Slime and temperature, the web site says:

SLiME has been tested in temperatures as low as
–40°F and is able to withstand temperatures of up
to 220°F due to its ingredient, Propylene Glycol.
Propylene Glycol helps to maintain SLiME's stability
under extreme conditions.

http://slime.com/qanda.htm

Somewhat appallingly, the same site reveals:

Q: SLiME claims to be non-toxic and non-hazardous.
What is it made of?

A: Both SLiME and Super Duty SLiME are Propylene
Glycol based sealants. Propylene Glycol is a
"food-grade" anti-freeze found in many common
household products including food (keeps ice
cream from freezing and maintains ketchup's
creaminess), as well as cosmetics.

Presumably, Super Duty SLiME has more calories.

The cracking that you heard might have been the bead
of your tire popping into place against the rim, but
mysterious noises seem to be a whole field in themselves
on rec.bicycles.tech.

Carl Fogel

Ron Hardin

Nov 10, 2003, 4:35:29 AM11/10/03
Carl Fogel wrote:
> SLiME has been tested in temperatures as low as
> –40°F and is able to withstand temperatures of up
> to 220°F due to its ingredient, Propylene Glycol.
> Propylene Glycol helps to maintain SLiME's stability
> under extreme conditions.

I wonder why they added F after -40
--
Ron Hardin
rhha...@mindspring.com

Per Elmsäter

Nov 10, 2003, 9:41:49 AM11/10/03
Ron Hardin wrote:
> Carl Fogel wrote:
>> SLiME has been tested in temperatures as low as
>> -40°F and is able to withstand temperatures of up

>> to 220°F due to its ingredient, Propylene Glycol.
>> Propylene Glycol helps to maintain SLiME's stability
>> under extreme conditions.
>
> I wonder why they added F after -40

Well, otherwise it would imply Kelvin I suppose.
--
Perre

Carl Fogel

Nov 10, 2003, 12:30:09 PM11/10/03
Ron Hardin <rhha...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<3FAF5B...@mindspring.com>...

> Carl Fogel wrote:
> > SLiME has been tested in temperatures as low as
> > ?40°F and is able to withstand temperatures of up

> > to 220°F due to its ingredient, Propylene Glycol.
> > Propylene Glycol helps to maintain SLiME's stability
> > under extreme conditions.
>
> I wonder why they added F after -40

Dear Ron,

Best physics joke I've seen.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Ted Bennett

Nov 10, 2003, 4:56:52 PM11/10/03

> Ron Hardin wrote:
> > Carl Fogel wrote:
> >> SLiME has been tested in temperatures as low as
> >> -40°F and is able to withstand temperatures of up
> >> to 220°F due to its ingredient, Propylene Glycol.
> >> Propylene Glycol helps to maintain SLiME's stability
> >> under extreme conditions.
> >
> > I wonder why they added F after -40
>
> Well, otherwise it would imply Kelvin I suppose.
> --
> Perre

Hmm. I wonder how cold it is at -40 Kelvin. Almost unimaginably cold,
I'd guess.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Rick Onanian

Nov 10, 2003, 5:19:36 PM11/10/03
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:56:52 GMT, Ted Bennett
<tedbe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Hmm. I wonder how cold it is at -40 Kelvin. Almost unimaginably cold,
>I'd guess.

-313 celsius, -531.4 fahrenheit. Except for the fact that 0 degrees
Kelvin is IIRC absolute 0. Absolute 0, IIRC, is the point at which
there is NO heat energy whatsoever (heat energy is, IIRC,
microscopic vibration of molecules, so abs 0 is when the molecules
are completely still relative to eachother).
--
Rick Onanian

Ted Bennett

Nov 10, 2003, 5:25:13 PM11/10/03

Rick, your humor sensor is in need of some calibration.

David Reuteler

Nov 10, 2003, 6:16:45 PM11/10/03
"Per Elmster" <perDOTe...@telia.com> wrote:
:> I wonder why they added F after -40

it's especially strange since -40F == -40C

for some of us -40C isn't theoretical. i've actually biked in it. just
not terribly far. on the scale of expletives to place in front of cold
-40C ranks near the worst and requires multiple instances.

it is not enough to say, "my god, it is fucking cold today." something closer
to "holy shit. (shiver) people are not meant to live like this. jesus
christ, this is really, really fucking damn cold." is needed. the truly
astute participant would be making escape plans.
--
david reuteler
reut...@visi.com

Per Elmsäter

Nov 10, 2003, 6:20:01 PM11/10/03

Zero degrees Kelvin is only the absolute Zero. Virtually you can go much
farther. Especially on rbt ;)

Ron Hardin

Nov 10, 2003, 7:30:14 PM11/10/03
Rick Onanian wrote:
> -313 celsius, -531.4 fahrenheit. Except for the fact that 0 degrees
> Kelvin is IIRC absolute 0. Absolute 0, IIRC, is the point at which
> there is NO heat energy whatsoever (heat energy is, IIRC,
> microscopic vibration of molecules, so abs 0 is when the molecules
> are completely still relative to eachother).

I think you can get negative absolute temperatures; it's when most of
the particles are in their highest energy state, so increasing energy
increases order. dU = TdS, U goes up, S goes down, so T is negative.

Most things don't have a highest energy state so you don't see it much.

If 1/T were the temperature things would be less paradoxical; it would
go from plus infinity to minus infinity when this happens rather than
just drifting innocently through zero.

David Kerber

Nov 10, 2003, 8:06:37 PM11/10/03
In article <3fb01c5d$0$75891$a186...@newsreader.visi.com>,
reut...@visi.com says...

> "Per Elmster" <perDOTe...@telia.com> wrote:
> :> I wonder why they added F after -40
>
> it's especially strange since -40F == -40C
>
> for some of us -40C isn't theoretical. i've actually biked in it. just
> not terribly far. on the scale of expletives to place in front of cold
> -40C ranks near the worst and requires multiple instances.

I haven't been out in -40, but I have been out in -33F, and ridden my
bike to school in -25F and below (it was either that or walk, and the
bike got me there a whole lot faster). That's actual temperature, BTW,
not wind chill. I've been skiing several times in wind chills below -
40F with no major problems.

> it is not enough to say, "my god, it is fucking cold today." something closer
> to "holy shit. (shiver) people are not meant to live like this. jesus
> christ, this is really, really fucking damn cold." is needed. the truly
> astute participant would be making escape plans.

If possible; sometimes you just have to put up with it...

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

David Kerber

Nov 10, 2003, 8:09:08 PM11/10/03
In article <oi30rv8fqhqrhnuju...@4ax.com>,
spam...@cox.net says...

Almost, but not quite. The energy is never zero; just at its absolute
minimum value, which is not quite zero due to quantum effects (which I
don't understand; I'm just repeating what I've read).

> --
> Rick Onanian

David Kerber

Nov 10, 2003, 8:09:40 PM11/10/03
In article <tedbennett-6EA2E...@news02.west.earthlink.net>,
tedbe...@earthlink.net says...

*Impossibly* cold would be quite accurate!

David Reuteler

Nov 10, 2003, 11:38:34 PM11/10/03
David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
: I haven't been out in -40, but I have been out in -33F, and ridden my
: bike to school in -25F and below (it was either that or walk, and the
: bike got me there a whole lot faster). That's actual temperature, BTW,
: not wind chill. I've been skiing several times in wind chills below -
: 40F with no major problems.

i can't find it. the day i'm remembering was in january 1995 or 1996 -- arne
carlson (this was minnesota before jesse the body) closed the university of
minnesota for only the second time while i was there (the first was the
legendary halloween 1991 blizzard -- which was also fun to bike in!). he
was mocked in the press for closing everything, tho. sturdy minnesota
kids gotta learn sometime.

since the coldest all time minneapolis temperature is -34F (01/22/1936) i'm
apparently wrong. i remember the quoted wind chill was ca -60F. that may
also suffer from grade inflation.

my ride that day was from the como neighbourhood to the west bank (12th &
washington) where i worked. probably under 1.5 miles. one eye froze shut.
i was shaking so badly i had a hard time keeping my stroke steady on the ice.
i stopped for coffee in dinkeytown. and on the west bank. i was wearing
all my long underwear, two sweaters, a windbreak and a sweatshirt, jeans,
3 gloves and a pair of red wing work boots with thick wool socks.

my feet were not cold. i can't recommend those boots enough.

:> astute participant would be making escape plans.

: If possible; sometimes you just have to put up with it...

yea, i used to think that. :-)
--
david reuteler
reut...@visi.com

Carl Fogel

Nov 11, 2003, 1:03:48 AM11/11/03
Ted Bennett <tedbe...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tedbennett-6EA2E...@news02.west.earthlink.net>...

Dear Ted,

Runner-up for best physics joke.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Rick Onanian

Nov 11, 2003, 12:15:20 PM11/11/03
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:30:14 GMT, Ron Hardin
<rhha...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Rick Onanian wrote:
>> -313 celsius, -531.4 fahrenheit. Except for the fact that 0 degrees
>> Kelvin is IIRC absolute 0. Absolute 0, IIRC, is the point at which
>> there is NO heat energy whatsoever (heat energy is, IIRC,
>> microscopic vibration of molecules, so abs 0 is when the molecules
>> are completely still relative to eachother).
>
>I think you can get negative absolute temperatures; it's when most of
>the particles are in their highest energy state, so increasing energy

What? Wouldn't that be the previously questioned absolute upper
limit?

>increases order. dU = TdS, U goes up, S goes down, so T is negative.

This may be the key to why my above statement is invalid.
Unfortunately, this is beyond me. Increased order == molecules
vibrating in sync with eachother or some such?
T must be temp.
S and U, however, I don't know.

>Most things don't have a highest energy state so you don't see it much.

I'm usually in a pretty low energy state, myself. My highest energy
state may be during sex.

>If 1/T were the temperature things would be less paradoxical; it would
>go from plus infinity to minus infinity when this happens rather than
>just drifting innocently through zero.

No temperature is innocent! They're all guilty of something!
--
Rick Onanian