cycling and hearing damage?

Matthew Thomas

Apr 8, 2004, 12:49:26 AM4/8/04
Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
damage? And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
wind noise while still being alert to traffic?

thanks,
Matt

salsashark88 "at" hotmail "dot" com

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 8, 2004, 1:00:30 AM4/8/04
> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
> between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
> damage? And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
> wind noise while still being alert to traffic?
>
> thanks,
> Matt

Matt: Is the noise while cycling really that bad? Curiously, I notice
silence more than anything. Wind noise is rarely much of an issue, even at
relatively high speeds (when descending). I'll pay a bit more attention to
this tomorrow morning. Could be I'm way-wrong, but it seems to me that
things are quieter when I'm out riding than when I'm in a car.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

Apr 8, 2004, 1:37:55 AM4/8/04
> does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
> wind noise while still being alert to traffic?

I've seen molded soft-vinyl ear covers that were streamlined in front,
and open to the rear, designed for this purpose; but I don't remember
the brand name, sorry.

carlfogel

Apr 8, 2004, 1:44:20 AM4/8/04

Dear Matt,

At typical bicycling speeds, the wind noise allows conversation with
nearby riders, admittedly punctuated by puffs and gasps.

Racers worry about being heard shifting gears as they attack and losing
the element of surprise.

The noise of the wind turbulence around Mr. Spock's pointy ears at
20-30 mph is roughly comparable to the conversation in a modestly
busy restaurant overlaid with whatever radio station strikes the
manager's fancy.

Modern noises can indeed deafen us, but our hearing is not so delicate
that the wind will deafen us.

Hearing loss is generally due to infections, age, and enormously louder
noises, such as over-amped modern music, badly muffled engines, gunfire,
and factory machinery.

Another way to look at it (one of my better mixed metaphors) is to
remember that the same noise level as the wind while you're bicycling
will lulll you to sleep if it comes from a fountain or the ocean. It's
the music that deafens surfers, not the sound of the waves.

Any simple ear plugs that shut out the wind noise directly (instead
of reducing the turbulence that causes it) would also shut out
traffic noise.

Be glad you're not a basset hound.

If you're having hearing problems, see an oto-rhyno-laryngologist, the
ENT or ear-nose-throat doctor. If the noise of the wind while you're
bicycling is bothering you, it's likely that something else is wrong.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Mike Beauchamp

Apr 8, 2004, 1:21:18 AM4/8/04
I've only noticed the noise of wind when I'm wearing a helmet....

I'd be curious too..

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mik...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Fredzep

Apr 8, 2004, 2:14:30 AM4/8/04
On 7 Apr 2004 21:49:26 -0700, bigma...@hotmail.com (Matthew Thomas)
wrote:

I have wondered this same thing myself particularly after
being passed by one of those loud pipes clowns or a truck. My solution
is to ride where or when there less traffic or preferably off
road(conditions permitting).

Fredzep

anonymous coward

Apr 8, 2004, 3:26:42 AM4/8/04
Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
> between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
> damage?

Do you also ride motorbikes - or did a motorcyclist ask you? I was bemused
when I first saw your question, but there seem to be a few web-pages
suggesting motorcyclists might suffer hearing-loss from the wind noise.

One of them also seemed to suggest that wind noise increased exponentially
with speed (100 dB at 30mph - seemed high to me; 115 at 60mph) - which
suggests to me that most cyclists are likely to be quite safe. Maybe
someone here knows differently, though?

AC

carlfogel

Apr 8, 2004, 3:03:04 AM4/8/04

Dear Matt,

Serendipity:

http://www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1993/04/08/

or

http://tinyurl.com/3y94x

Why are you all looking at me bug-eyed?

Carl Fogel

MSeries

Apr 8, 2004, 5:03:49 AM4/8/04
Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> I've only noticed the noise of wind when I'm wearing a helmet....

Me too.

Han

Apr 8, 2004, 5:09:20 AM4/8/04
anonymous coward <anonymou...@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message news:<c52rcv$gsp$1...@ucsnew1.ncl.ac.uk>...

> One of them also seemed to suggest that wind noise increased exponentially
> with speed (100 dB at 30mph - seemed high to me; 115 at 60mph) - which
> suggests to me that most cyclists are likely to be quite safe. Maybe
> someone here knows differently, though?

On my motorbike I use hearing protection on the longer distances. ( >
20 minutes).
On shorter distances I rely on my helmet itself. Yes some helmets
provide some protection. On the other hand, some helmets are noisier
than other.

Whem I am self-propelled bicycling I do not need protection although
also here some helmets are noisier than other.

Han

Elmo Spam King

Apr 8, 2004, 5:50:13 AM4/8/04

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 02:14:30 -0400, Fredzep wrote:
> I have wondered this same thing myself particularly after
> being passed by one of those loud pipes clowns or a truck. My solution
> is to ride where or when there less traffic or preferably off
> road(conditions permitting).

How do you get anywhere useful? I mean, mostly, I go to places where
other people are to socialize, work, trade, or share. Most of those
places are deep within the motor vehicle infrastructure and see quite a
bit of traffic (including transit buses and other large service vehicles).

So do you just not go out where other people are or what?

Elmo.

Elmo Spam King

Apr 8, 2004, 5:58:22 AM4/8/04

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:49:26 -0700, Matthew Thomas wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link between
> the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing damage?

I would be suspicious of such a link. Wind noise usually just SEEMS loud.
I've never been unable to hear traffic over the wind and that implies to
me that the wind is not as loud as traffic and therefore cycling puts you
at not much more risk for hearing damage than walking on the sidewalk.
(Though I do my best to always plug my ears when passing sirens on
emergency vehicles.)

> And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce wind noise
> while still being alert to traffic?

If you want to cut down on ear turbulence and also decrease the amount of
cold air blowing into your ears (which could promote infection and other
hearing risks), get yourself a very thin ear warmer. Mine is a relatively
fine lycra knit headband that pulls down over my forehead, covers both
ears, and goes around the base of my skull. It streamlines the head to
reduce wind noise and traps the warm air around your ears.

Elmo King

Patrick Hansmeier

Apr 8, 2004, 7:08:35 AM4/8/04
Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
> between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
> damage?

Has anyone researched if drivers of cars, let alone lorries or trucks,
are deafened permanently by the noise of their vehicles?

> And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
> wind noise while still being alert to traffic?

Compared to cyclists, passengers of cars hear virtually nothing when it
comes to 'alertness to traffic'. Maybe you are bothered personally by
wind noise, but I don't see a reason why one should really care for this.
However: A wad of cotton wool will supposedly do the trick for you.

Patrick

William Holiday

Apr 8, 2004, 7:30:25 AM4/8/04
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mik...@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

<it seems to me that
<things are quieter when I'm out riding than when I'm in a car.

...until you turn off the Tchaikovsky ;-)

Mark

Apr 8, 2004, 11:39:27 AM4/8/04
Hello Matt.

The human ear does have a certain amount of recoverability when
exposed to moderately loud noises for short periods of time.

I have a profound hearing loss in both ears, and wear a Hearing Aid in
one ear all the time. Wind noise does become aggravating, and quite
annoying, but my Hearing Aid does have a volume control. Amplifing
wind noise like this could perhaps be a detriment to us hearing aid
users, as the noise may be amplified to levels hovering at, or
slightly exceeding 100db.

If wind noise somehow bothers you, or you have concerns, and would
like to do all that is possible to protect your hearing, there are ear
plugs that are placed within the ear canal, that drop volume levels
perhaps 20-30db, are virtually unnoticeable, not all that
uncomfortable, or stupid looking, can be worn in any weather, and
permit unhindered normal conversation,etc.

Generally, gun shops, and I even think places like Wal-Mart will carry
units such as these in stock in the sporting dept. I can remember one
plug that was called "Hearos" Thier range of sophistication can cost
between a few dollars to perhaps $20-25 for a pair. Hope this helps,
Mark D.

Werehatrack

Apr 8, 2004, 11:49:53 AM4/8/04
may have said:

>Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
>between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
>damage?

The noise level from that cause is so low that I seriously doubt that
anyone would ever fund such a study.

>And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
>wind noise while still being alert to traffic?

A do-rag tied so that it goes over the ears should do nicely. You
might even start a fashion trend...

Remember; the wind will never be as loud as the Harley that just went
by with straight pipes. If you want to look for a road-noise-related
hearing hazard, look at the motorized traffic, not the wind.

Werehatrack

Apr 8, 2004, 11:50:54 AM4/8/04

But why would you do that?

Werehatrack

Apr 8, 2004, 11:54:26 AM4/8/04

Not everyone lives in an urban metropolis. Some actually reside in
places where interesting activities abound within a radius easily
reached by a bike rider, often via routes that are fairly free of the
need to dodge Kenworths and Excursions. Take me, for example...in
Houston.

Pete Biggs

Apr 8, 2004, 1:14:21 PM4/8/04
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
>> between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
>> damage? And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to
>> reduce wind noise while still being alert to traffic?
>

> Matt: Is the noise while cycling really that bad? Curiously, I
> notice silence more than anything.

It's the kind of thing you're so used to that you don't notice it. I
usually wear a balaclava or hat over my ears during the winter months.
Wind noise is highly noticeable when I then occasionally go out with a
naked head. But during the summer, I'm totally oblivious to the noise
after the first couple of rides without hat.

There's probably no scientific evidence yet but I suspect this constant
high frequency noise could damage hearing to some extent. On busy roads,
noise from car tyres and engines is also a worry (fast roads re tyres;
inner cities re engines).

~PB

carlfogel

Apr 8, 2004, 3:23:44 PM4/8/04

Dear Matt and A.C.,

Street motorcycles are a different kettle of fish than bicycles because
the speeds are much higher and the exhaust noise is added. A typical
bicycle is going to roll at only about 15 to 25 mph, a sedate stroll
for a street motorcycle, and the only engine noise is the panting of
the rider.

Hearing loss from noise is the result of decibel level, or energy, but
this is not actaully a very good measure for this particular situation.

The trouble is that absolute sound energy is usually measured for sounds
at a reasonable distance--five feet away, within a room, inside a car.

This makes sense for normal sounds, but not for what we're calling wind
noise on a bicycle. There is practically no wind noise produced by a
bicycle, as anyone can prove by listening to a bicycle roll past.

The noise that we're talking about is the turbulence as our pointy ears
hit the wind stream at an angle--we can hear it, but no one else can.
It's an absolutely tiny, trivial noise (you'd have to be Dumbo to make
a noise audible to anyone else by turning your head in the wind), but
it's occurring right next to your ear drum. The huge leverage of
proximity is what magnifies the tiny noise of the breeze rustling past
your ear-lobes.

This is why bicycle helmets can make an audible difference, even though
they don't cover our ears. Things may sound different because the helmet
changes the air flow around your head--just as turning your head
slightly to one side or the other will change the noise.

As a rough guide, however, notice that you can easily talk to other
bicycle riders over this noise. It's no worse than standing on the deck
of a ferry boat, enjoying the breeze, and chatting with a friend.

But just as wind drag increases exponentially with speed, so will wind
noise right in a rider's ear increase as speed rises. This is one
reasons why motorcycle fairings are popular--they cut the wind speed and
reduce the noise. But most bicyclists don't reach 50 mph often enough to
worry about this.

The same is true of headphones on planes. The music may be playing, but
they still muffle some of the roar of the engines.

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel

Apr 8, 2004, 5:23:23 PM4/8/04
Patrick Hansmeier <pha...@despammed.com> wrote in message news:<c53brk$ha5$1...@nx6.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE>...

Dear Patrick,

Truck drivers do indeed suffer hearing problems, but this
is the result of engine noise, not wind noise. Aircraft and
helicopter pilots have the same problem. High-frequency
hearing loss is common around heavy engines, whether they're
cars, planes, motorcycles, lawn mowers, or boats. You can
often spot victims of this damage--they're the fellows who
keep chatting with you, obviously following every word that
you say, but serenely unconscious that their wrist watch
alarms are emitting high-pitched beeps.

(Whether such fellows are married more often than not is an
ugly side of acoustic research that we decline to delve into.)

A vanishing variant of such damage is sometimes called tractor
ear. Farmers with open tractors tend to steer with one hand on
the wheel while half-turned to look over their shoulders
at the plow behind them. One ear is aimed at the noisy tractor
engine for hours, while the other ear is turned away and shielded,
so these fellows sometimes wear a single hearing aid.

Wind noise alone (the turbulence as the air thrashes around
the complicated shape of the ear) isn't likely to be damaging
until you move up in speed to motorcycles--and add the extra
noise of the motorcycle engine on top of the wind.

Carl Fogel

Jeff Starr

Apr 8, 2004, 8:33:13 PM4/8/04
bigma...@hotmail.com (Matthew Thomas) wrote in message news:<6c99a27b.0404...@posting.google.com>...

Hi, I'm reasonably careful with my hearing, I wear earplugs when I mow
the lawn, but I don't worry about noise levels when I'm riding.

But on the subject of ears, mine do get cold easily. Anything below
the mid 50s with a 10mph wind and I need to wear an earband. Same with
my foot, I'm in booties and full gloves, while some guy rides by
wearing shorts. Is anyone else more bothered by the cold, than their
riding buddies? Personally, I'd rather be warm than cool[fashionable].
Life is Good!
Jeff

William Holiday

Apr 8, 2004, 11:55:17 PM4/8/04
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:50:54 GMT, Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net>
wrote:

<On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:30:25 -0400, William Holiday
<<hatte...@yahoo.com> may have said:
<
<>On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mik...@ix.netcom.com>
<>wrote:
<>
<><it seems to me that
<><things are quieter when I'm out riding than when I'm in a car.
<>
<>...until you turn off the Tchaikovsky ;-)
<
<But why would you do that?

Wagner ;-0

carlfogel

Apr 9, 2004, 12:44:31 AM4/9/04

Dear Matt,

Here's an article with exciting graphs of motorcycle helmet noise:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP150.html

Points to remember are that the study, such as it is, is about 13 years
old, doesn't seem to address how much of the noise is from wind and how
much from engine, and adds that motorcycle helmets can actually make
wind noise worse--they're much more cumbersome than bicycle helmets.

In any case, the first graph is for 30 mph, well above what most
bicyclists experience (no details on apparent wind speed, such as
heading into a wind). And it shows levels for different helmets around
88 to 98 db, Take away an engine and 5-10 mph speed and things are
likely to drop to under 80 db, what the article suggests for a noisy
restaurant.

Before getting excited about how close 80 db seems to 90 db, keep in
mind that it's a logarithmic scale for bels using decibels (0.1 bel),
meaning that a sound 1 decibel louder is 1.26 times as powerful, so
going up from 80 db to 90 db is far more than a power increase of 1/8th
or 12.5%. It's a ten-fold increase (1 bel), which we would normally
think of as going from 80 to 800.

A dial tone is about 80 db. OSHA and audiologists worry about noises at
around 90 db.

Carl Fogel

Fredzep

Apr 9, 2004, 1:40:33 AM4/9/04
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 02:50:13 -0700, Elmo Spam King
<elsp...@bitmine.net> wrote:

Yeah if I can. I don't ride to get to work or for transportation. It
is my main source of recreation. Everywhere I live is in the in the
MVI but I try to minimalize it. I'm not trying to get any place
useful,I just enjoy riding. If I can I won't ride during rush hour or
I'll ride off road, wherever it is least crowded. That is just my
preferance.

Fredzep

Fredzep

Apr 9, 2004, 1:44:52 AM4/9/04
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:40:33 -0400, Fredzep <fredze...@nac.net>
wrote:

Forgive me I don't have a spellchecker.
Fredzep

dvt

Apr 9, 2004, 12:16:46 PM4/9/04
carlfogel wrote:
> The noise that we're talking about is the turbulence as our pointy ears
> hit the wind stream at an angle--we can hear it, but no one else can.
> It's an absolutely tiny, trivial noise (you'd have to be Dumbo to make
> a noise audible to anyone else by turning your head in the wind), but
> it's occurring right next to your ear drum.

You're right on in this part. But the next part is slightly off...

> The huge leverage of
> proximity is what magnifies the tiny noise of the breeze rustling past
> your ear-lobes.

Proximity is a factor. But what makes this turbulence inaudible at
distances of, say, a meter or so? Lack of coherence. In pretty loose
terms, the turbulence makes a bunch of little tiny sound sources. When
your sensor (your ear) is in the middle of those sources, some pressure
fluctuation is sensed as noise. When the sensor is away from those
sources, the lack of coherence in the sources makes them tend to cancel.

That's why a windscreen on a microphone works. A naked microphone out in
the wind has turbulence right near the sensor surface. The wind screen
makes a small difference in the distance from turbulence to the sensor,
but since the sources don't tend to add, it makes a big difference in
the measured pressure fluctuation.

The upshot: if you want to reduce the wind noise experienced while
riding a bicycle, a more aerodynamic head (ear, helmet, etc) might
reduce the turbulence. Failing that, put a little bit of foam over your
ear to push the turbulence a little ways away from your eardrum. Just
don't let Fabrizio see you.

> As a rough guide, however, notice that you can easily talk to other
> bicycle riders over this noise. It's no worse than standing on the deck
> of a ferry boat, enjoying the breeze, and chatting with a friend.

I agree that the wind noise experienced while cycling is rarely strong
enough to pose a health hazard, although I don't have any hard data to
back me up on this claim.

I don't always find conversation easy on a bicycle. It's pretty easy to
hit 30 mph on a descent, and I find that conversation is limited to
shouting at my fellow cyclists at speeds at and above that level. This
may be due to the broad spectrum of wind noise, which creates a pretty
effective mask to vocal communication.

The other clue to this neat little puzzle is observation of cyclists
having a conversation as they ride past. If you stand near a quiet
country road, you can hear cyclists talking loudly from quite a
distance. They are speaking much louder than they would if the masking
of the wind noise were not present. But they are not shouting, as would
probably be necessary if the wind noise were enough to cause potential
damage.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

(Pete Cresswell)

Apr 9, 2004, 7:53:45 PM4/9/04
RE/

>wind noise experienced while cycling is rarely strong
>enough to pose a health hazard,

My biggest problem is that when I'm wearing a helmet, the wind noise masks the
sound of approaching cars....
--
PeteCresswell

Tom Sherman

Apr 10, 2004, 8:00:15 AM4/10/04
carlfogel wrote:

> The same is true of headphones on planes. The music may be playing, but
> they still muffle some of the roar of the engines.

Dear Carl,

Are you referring to open or closed headphones, and with or without
active noise cancellation?

Tom Sherman

Apr 10, 2004, 8:07:19 AM4/10/04
Mark wrote:

> Generally, gun shops, and I even think places like Wal-Mart will carry
> units such as these in stock in the sporting dept. I can remember one
> plug that was called "Hearos" Thier range of sophistication can cost

> between a few dollars to perhaps $20-25 for a pair....

There are musician’s earplugs which reduce volume level overall by about
15 dB (compared to about 25 dB for plain cylindrical foam plugs) and
much more evenly with respect to frequency than earplugs intended for
occupational use. These would appear to be a better choice for reducing
noise while cycling while still maintaining enough hearing for safety.

TBGibb

Apr 10, 2004, 8:30:47 PM4/10/04
In article <6c99a27b.0404...@posting.google.com>,
bigma...@hotmail.com (Matthew Thomas) writes:

>Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link

>between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing

>damage? And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
>wind noise while still being alert to traffic?

It helps a lot to take the baseball cards off the stays.

Tom Gibb <TBG...@aol.com>

Pastor Eyesed

Apr 12, 2004, 4:10:56 AM4/12/04

Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any research that has found a link
> between the wind noise experienced while riding and permanent hearing
> damage? And if so, does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce
> wind noise while still being alert to traffic?
>

> thanks,
> Matt
>
> salsashark88 "at" hotmail "dot" com

Damn.
Over 3 years ago I overcame noticing this all the time and obsessing about
it.
Got it out of my head and it went right away.
Nice quiet peaceful riding these years
Now this...........

SmartyPants

Apr 12, 2004, 12:29:48 PM4/12/04
does anyone know of a practical solution to reduce wind noise while still
being alert to traffic?

I never tried them while biking, but I find the sponge type inside the ear
noise protectors cut down ambient noise well while only slightly minimizing
voices.

Elmo Spam King

Apr 13, 2004, 5:47:35 AM4/13/04

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:44:52 -0400, Fredzep wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:40:33 -0400, Fredzep <fredze...@nac.net>
> wrote:
>>On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 02:50:13 -0700, Elmo Spam King
>><elsp...@bitmine.net> wrote:
>>>How do you get anywhere useful?
>>>So do you just not go out where other people are or what?
>>
>> Yeah if I can. I don't ride to get to work or for transportation. It
>> is my main source of recreation.

If cycling is your main source of recreation, you should DEFINITELY be
cycling to work and for regular transportation. Imagine how much
recreational opportunity you're wasting!

It's like those crazy people you see running on treadmills in the display
windows at health clubs after work. If they just ran home, they could
save time, money, and resources.

Worst, of course, is those people who put their bicycles on top of their
cars to take them out to "rides" every weekend.

>> Everywhere I live is in the in the MVI but I try to minimalize it.

I have no idea what an MVI is.

>> I'm
>> not trying to get any place useful,I just enjoy riding.

Again, if you enjoy riding, you would be maximizing your time to do things
you enjoy if you rode everywhere you went.

>> If I can I won't ride during rush hour or I'll ride off road, wherever
>> it is least crowded. That is just my preferance.

Rush hour would be less crowded if you weren't out there in your car.

> Forgive me I don't have a spellchecker.

Is that a physiological defect?

EK -- sleepless

Jeff Starr

Apr 13, 2004, 11:26:16 AM4/13/04
Elmo Spam King <elsp...@bitmine.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.04.13....@bitmine.net>...
<Snipped>

> If cycling is your main source of recreation, you should DEFINITELY be
> cycling to work and for regular transportation. Imagine how much
> recreational opportunity you're wasting!
>
> It's like those crazy people you see running on treadmills in the display
> windows at health clubs after work. If they just ran home, they could
> save time, money, and resources.
>
> Worst, of course, is those people who put their bicycles on top of their
> cars to take them out to "rides" every weekend.

<Snipped>

> >> not trying to get any place useful,I just enjoy riding.
>
> Again, if you enjoy riding, you would be maximizing your time to do things
> you enjoy if you rode everywhere you went.
>
> >> If I can I won't ride during rush hour or I'll ride off road, wherever
> >> it is least crowded. That is just my preferance.
>
> Rush hour would be less crowded if you weren't out there in your car.

Ok, I have to ask, what is so bad about taking your bike to a place to
ride? I refer to:

>> Worst, of course, is those people who put their bicycles on top of
their
> cars to take them out to "rides" every weekend. <<

What I think is "worst" is when people want to dictate on how and
where others ride. You know when I see some guy out on a 30 year old
road bike, with the dropbars turned up, with accessories all over the
bike, it would be easy to critize them. Instead, I give anyone credit
who is out riding. They are getting some exercise and are enjoying
bicycling, in their own way.
When I started riding, after parking the the bike for 25 years, I
wasn't very comfortable riding in traffic. I still prefer not to be in
traffic. So I put the bike on a car rack and drive to a nearby
parkway, that then gives me many options on route and distance.
Occasionally I drive the bike quite a distance to take advantage of a
paved trail that goes for over 30 miles, the Ozaukee Interurban Trail.
I have my limitations and first having to ride through the city to get
to this ride, would sure limit how far I could go on it.
I guess the point is, rather than find fault in anothers riding habits
or dictate how and when they should ride, show some tolerance for
others. We aren't all commuters, for me anyway, I bike for recreation,
exercise, and because it is fun. I get a great deal of satisfaction
out of riding 15-20 miles, 5 or 6 days a week, weather permitting.
That's right, I'm a fair weather rider.
Life is Good!
Jeff

Elmo Spam King

Apr 13, 2004, 12:28:09 PM4/13/04

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:26:16 -0700, Jeff Starr wrote:
> Ok, I have to ask, what is so bad about taking your bike to a place to
> ride? I refer to:
>> Worst, of course, is those people who put their bicycles on top of
>> their cars to take them out to "rides" every weekend.

Well, why bother taking your bike out on your car when you can take your
body out on your bike? It's like putting a tent up over your house to
keep it dry.

The only reason to put a bicycle on or in a motor vehicle is if you're
transporting more vehicles than people or either the rider or bike are
somehow broken.

> What I think is "worst" is when people want to dictate on how and where
> others ride.

I don't see much of that going on.

> You know when I see some guy out on a 30 year old road bike, with the
> dropbars turned up, with accessories all over the bike, it would be easy
> to critize them.

Huh? On what grounds would you criticize the guy? He's got some unusual
tastes, certainly, but if he's got a bike that's 30+ years old and still
ridable, I give him big props.

> Instead, I give anyone credit who is out riding. They are getting some
> exercise and are enjoying bicycling, in their own way.

Phew, while you've totally won that battle, the war against straw is not
over! The straw men MUST be destroyed! Keep stuffing!

Sorry, but who the heck would do anything BUT give that hypothetical guy
credit?

> When I started riding, after parking the the bike for 25 years, I wasn't
> very comfortable riding in traffic. I still prefer not to be in traffic.

You ARE traffic.

> So I put the bike on a car rack and drive to a nearby parkway, that then
> gives me many options on route and distance. Occasionally I drive the
> bike quite a distance to take advantage of a paved trail that goes for
> over 30 miles, the Ozaukee Interurban Trail. I have my limitations and
> first having to ride through the city to get to this ride, would sure
> limit how far I could go on it.

Well, keep at it. Keep riding out to the trail and one day you'll be able
to make the full circuit. Sounds like a good motivator!

But really, you're not going to get over your fears by avoiding them. And
this particular fear has negative impact on everybody not just you.

> I guess the point is, rather than find fault in anothers riding habits
> or dictate how and when they should ride, show some tolerance for
> others.

Do you show tolerance for smokers that stand next to you while you're
eating or next to your newborn baby? Do you show tolerance for public
drunkenness?

Sure, in the situation, you show tact and appropriate respect for the
individuals you must confront, but you can't just sit back and let other
people's laziness and hedonism (and if you're able-bodied and driving a
car, 99 times out of 100 that's what's making you do it) degrade people,
society, and the entire planet.

> We aren't all commuters,

You work at home? I do that several days a week, but it's not an option
every day. When I can't work at home, I commute.

> for me anyway, I bike for recreation, exercise, and because it is fun.

Me, too! I love riding my bicycle and I try to put as much physical
effort into it as I can in order to maximize the exercise I get. I
capitalize on my need to travel in my daily life by using that time for
recreation, exercise and fun!

> I get a great deal of satisfaction out of riding 15-20 miles, 5 or 6
> days a week, weather permitting.

If you used your bicycle instead of your car for daily travel, you'd have
more time either on the bike or doing something else you love.

> That's right, I'm a fair weather rider.

It's like magic. The weather's always fair in a good rain suit. Just
pretend it's a very small, flexible car or a house you can wear.

> Life is Good!

Imagine how much better it could be!

EK

(Pete Cresswell)

Apr 13, 2004, 8:52:49 PM4/13/04
RE/

>The only reason to put a bicycle on or in a motor vehicle is if you're
>transporting more vehicles than people or either the rider or bike are
>somehow broken.

Road situations vary greatly from place-to-place. It may sound improbable from
the perspective certain less-hostile locales, but there really are places where
you wouldn't live through a whole year if you rode regularly on certain roads.
--
PeteCresswell