Your kickstand: What & Where?

Ablang

Jul 5, 2008, 11:43:24 PM7/5/08
Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Stabilizer-Mount-Alloy-Kickstand/dp/B000AOA434/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215315140&sr=8-2

Tom Reingold

Jul 5, 2008, 11:57:29 PM7/5/08
On Jul 5, 11:43 pm, Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> where did you buy it?
>
> I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
> mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
> the rear?
>
> A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
> ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Stabilizer-Mount-Alloy-Kickstand/dp/...

Kickstands tend to mar paint jobs and sometimes even crush frame
tubes. They also are not so great at stabilizing bikes. I find it best
to do without a kickstand. I lay my bike down or lean it against a
fixed object.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy

landotter

Jul 6, 2008, 1:03:42 AM7/6/08

Millions of people would find your conclusions pretty funny. While
mounting a stand on a sporting bike would be silly in the first place
and may indeed crush thin tubes on such a ride, and indeed you might
mar a bit of paint with a mounting plate--if you have the proper
clearances for it, a regular Greenfield BB mounted stand torqued none
too aggressively and the leg sawed just so, is a wonderful addition to
a utility bike. I use mine countless times per day and love it.
Splurge and get the rubber foot for 99c more. Most of the small shops
around here let me bike inside as I my bike is free standing with the
kickstand.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 6, 2008, 6:15:03 AM7/6/08

Sometimes that's not a good idea - such as in a city very crowded with
other bikes and people.

I used a kickstand for awhile that fit into the read dropout. Worked
pretty well. The kickstand on Amazon is similar in location and
should work well, but I'm not sure about the trailer issue..

mjenk...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2008, 8:36:30 AM7/6/08
On Jul 5, 10:43 pm, Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> where did you buy it?
>
> I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
> mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
> the rear?
>
> A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
> ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Stabilizer-Mount-Alloy-Kickstand/dp/...

For utility bikes with brazed-on mounting plates, I like

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/223322096_669dbace4d_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/118155401_dd1007fbf2_b.jpg

I purchased two or three from Andrew Muzi at yellowjersey.org

Very stable even if I don't get the saddle bags all that balanced or
the front wheel is flopping all over.

Another alternative is a stay mounted stand. The stays are well
padded and taped prior to mounting. The fasteners are only hand tight
plus half a turn. After two years, I checked for damage and found
none.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=KI1002
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/449752282_0e9c218d60_b.jpg

Mike Jenkins
Barrington, IL

* * Chas

Jul 6, 2008, 2:13:44 PM7/6/08

"Ablang" <ron...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Folks who use kick stands have their reasons.

I had kick stands on several 10 speeds in the 1960s and early 70s. Many of
the less expensive Bike Boom models from the early 70s came with a flat
plate brazed on the chainstays at the bottom bracket for mounting
ESGE/Pletscher or similar kickstands. Some even came from the factory with
that style kickstand.

I stopped using kickstands myself in 1973 after having bikes fall over
from careless people bumping into them or a gust of wind blowing them
over. Besides there was no need for a kick stand if the bike was locked to
a solid object.

I worked at a bike shop near a college campus during the 1970s and saw
more bikes damaged from falling over while on a kickstand than by any
other cause. I've also seen riders get hurt when they got a loose kick
stand caught in their left crank arm or pedal (inexperienced riders who
didn't know better).

Kickstands seemed to have encouraged people not to properly secure their
bikes. We had quite a few people come into the shop for new bikes because
their old ones had just been stolen when they left them sitting locked up
on a kick stand but not locked to a bike rack or anything solid. The
thieves just picked up the bikes and walked away!

Touring with loaded panniers were some of the few times when I would have
liked to have had a good light weight kickstand otherwise I saw no need
for carrying around 1 to 1 1/2 Lbs. of extra weight on the bike.

Chas.

Peter Cole

Jul 6, 2008, 3:19:50 PM7/6/08

I use the method I learned from Sheldon Brown -- toe strap (Christophe,
of course) on the front brake lever.

Werehatrack

Jul 6, 2008, 11:08:09 PM7/6/08
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:43:24 -0700 (PDT), Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> may
have said:

> Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
>where did you buy it?

On the bike ridden most often: Greenfield 305mm conventional, mounted
in the usual aft-of-BB area. Can't recall where I got it.

Dan O

Jul 6, 2008, 11:46:38 PM7/6/08
On Jul 6, 8:08 pm, Werehatrack <raul...@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:43:24 -0700 (PDT), Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> may
> have said:
>
> > Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> >where did you buy it?
>
> On the bike ridden most often: Greenfield 305mm conventional, mounted
> in the usual aft-of-BB area. Can't recall where I got it.

My son really wanted kickstand on his Trek Mountain Lion 80 (20"
wheels). I, too, clamped a basic Greenfield to the chainstays behind
the BB - didn't even have to trim the leg down (!) He really likes
it.

Chalo

Jul 7, 2008, 4:17:52 AM7/7/08
Ablang wrote:

>  Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> where did you buy it?

I use a Pletscher two-leg stand on one of my bikes (special ordered
from my local bike shop), and a Greenfield on another one (was on the
frame when I got it). Two of my more fanciful bikes are old Schwinns
with brazed-on kickstands, and the rest of them-- most of them by
far-- have no kickstands.

I like having those kickstands, but I often forget to use them since
I'm not really in the habit.

Chalo

Ted Mittelstaedt

Jul 7, 2008, 6:01:15 AM7/7/08

"* * Chas" <verkt...@aol.spamski.com> wrote in message

> I stopped using kickstands myself in 1973 after having bikes fall over
> from careless people bumping into them or a gust of wind blowing them
> over. Besides there was no need for a kick stand if the bike was locked to
> a solid object.

And how do you secure the bike in your garage?

My wife's bike came with no kickstand due to bass-ackwards
conclusions like this being adopted by the bike makers (or more
likely a chance to save $5 on manufacturing the thing)

She has busted off at least 3 LED lights when the bike has fallen over in
the garage because it was leaned against some object, or more often,
against my bike (which has a kickstand). There is no convenient
wall available to screw in bike hooks or some such rubbish to
pick up the bike and hang it on.

None of the other bikes owned by other members of the family
(all of which have kickstands) have this problem.

I've never had any of my motorcycles (all of which have kickstands)
fall over when on the kickstand.

> I worked at a bike shop near a college campus during the 1970s and saw
> more bikes damaged from falling over while on a kickstand than by any
> other cause. I've also seen riders get hurt when they got a loose kick
> stand caught in their left crank arm or pedal (inexperienced riders who
> didn't know better).

OK so because people are stupid and leave a bike parked where it can
be easily pushed over that is the fault of the machine?

What, you blame your computer when it gets a virus?

> Kickstands seemed to have encouraged people not to properly secure their
> bikes. We had quite a few people come into the shop for new bikes because
> their old ones had just been stolen when they left them sitting locked up
> on a kick stand but not locked to a bike rack or anything solid. The
> thieves just picked up the bikes and walked away!

These are college students, right?

Perhaps having their bike stolen was part of their "education" I know
what I would have said to my son or daughter if they had called
me asking for money to replace a bike stolen because of doing
something this stupid. Too bad the parents of the fools coming
into your shop didn't do the same.

I will submit that bike makers should not make bikes designed
for the lowest common denominator in intelligence.

Ted

mike.a...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2008, 12:51:48 PM7/7/08
On Jul 6, 7:36 am, "mjenk20...@gmail.com" <mjenk20...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 5, 10:43 pm, Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> > where did you buy it?
>
> > I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
> > mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
> > the rear?
>
> > A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
> > ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Stabilizer-Mount-Alloy-Kickstand/dp/...
>
> For utility bikes with brazed-on mounting plates, I like
>
> http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/223322096_669dbace4d_b.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/118155401_dd1007fbf2_b.jpg

> I purchased two or three from Andrew Muzi at yellowjersey.org
>
> Very stable even if I don't get the saddle bags all that balanced or
> the front wheel is flopping all over.
>
> Another alternative is a stay mounted stand.  The stays are well
> padded and taped prior to mounting.  The fasteners are only hand tight
> plus half a turn.  After two years, I checked for damage and found
> none.
>
> http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=KI1002http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/449752282_0e9c218d60_b.jpg
>
> Mike Jenkins
> Barrington, IL

I would like to get a replacement kickstand for my Burley Django. The
rear triangle won't work since I have one oversize tube. I need a
kickstand with a plate that goes under the QR handle and aligned by
the screw for the rear rack.

Any ideas where I can get one.

Forbes B-Black

Jul 7, 2008, 7:48:53 PM7/7/08
On Jul 5, 8:43 pm, Ablang <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
> where did you buy it?
>
> I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
> mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
> the rear?
>
> A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
> ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Stabilizer-Mount-Alloy-Kickstand/dp/...

Yup. I use a good ole Greenfield on my Bridgestone/Kabuki Skyway 12.
I pulled it off another bike I bought. It works flawlessly. Note
that the frame has a kickstand plate instead of a chainstay bridge,
which makes things easy and non-marring. BTW, Rivendell will build
you a frame with a kickstand plate if you ask nicely.

Bike can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclesvalhalla/1010967182/

Yours,

FBB

Mark

Jul 8, 2008, 12:06:44 AM7/8/08
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> My wife's bike came with no kickstand due to bass-ackwards
> conclusions like this being adopted by the bike makers (or more
> likely a chance to save $5 on manufacturing the thing)
>
> She has busted off at least 3 LED lights when the bike has fallen over in
> the garage because it was leaned against some object, or more often,
> against my bike (which has a kickstand). There is no convenient
> wall available to screw in bike hooks or some such rubbish to
> pick up the bike and hang it on.

[...]

> I will submit that bike makers should not make bikes designed
> for the lowest common denominator in intelligence.

Ted, what stopped you from buying and installing a kickstand when the
bike arrived, or after LED #1 broke? or #2?

Mark J.

Dan O

Jul 9, 2008, 12:19:11 AM7/9/08
On Jul 7, 3:01 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <t...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> My wife's bike came with no kickstand due to bass-ackwards
> conclusions like this being adopted by the bike makers (or more
> likely a chance to save $5 on manufacturing the thing)
>
> She has busted off at least 3 LED lights when the bike has fallen over in
> the garage because it was leaned against some object, or more often,
> against my bike (which has a kickstand). There is no convenient
> wall available to screw in bike hooks or some such rubbish to
> pick up the bike and hang it on.
>
> None of the other bikes owned by other members of the family
> (all of which have kickstands) have this problem.

In this case I'd say she should have a kickstand then, too.

> I will submit that bike makers should not make bikes designed
> for the lowest common denominator in intelligence.

I agree that a good kickstand can be quite convenient for parking.
When riding, though, a kickstand is just something extra to go wrong,
get hurt on, and carry around. Riding, after all, is what bikes are
for, and - just speaking for myself - I choose to accept some
inconvenient parking situations in exchange for a more optimum riding
configuration.

Ted Mittelstaedt

Jul 9, 2008, 3:09:48 AM7/9/08

"Mark" <mandml...@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >

> > I will submit that bike makers should not make bikes designed
> > for the lowest common denominator in intelligence.
>
> Ted, what stopped you from buying and installing a kickstand when the
> bike arrived, or after LED #1 broke? or #2?

My wife complaining that she didn't want the extra weight of the
kickstand on the bike. Apparently she was impressed by the bike
salesman who explained that this is why all the bikes they sold
didn't have kickstands. (eyeroll)

I suppose one of these days after enough stuff has broken off
the bike she might see through the bullcrap. Oh well, if it keeps
her riding, I'll live with it.

Ted

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 9, 2008, 1:25:54 PM7/9/08

Dear Ted,

This sounds ominous.

First, your wife rejected a kickstand because it was heavy.

But now she's using the missing kickstand as an excuse to break off
those little LEDs.

Once could have been an accident, but twice is suspicious.

Soon you may catch her trimm off "excess" handlebar tape.

You'll need to get help if she starts "accidentally" scratching decals
off to get her bike down to fighting weight.

Be firm. Bicycle bulemics are usually in denial.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo

Jul 9, 2008, 5:07:08 PM7/9/08
Dan O wrote:

> I agree that a good kickstand can be quite convenient for parking.
> When riding, though, a kickstand is just something extra to go wrong,
> get hurt on, and carry around.  Riding, after all, is what bikes are
> for, and - just speaking for myself - I choose to accept some
> inconvenient parking situations in exchange for a more optimum riding
> configuration.

Water bottles are not for riding. Pumps don't yield a more optimum
riding configuration. Fenders are something extra to go wrong, get
hurt on, and carry around. Bags and racks are definitely not for
riding.

A bike is a practical machine. I rarely get on my bike anymore except
to go somewhere for some purpose other than pushing pedals. There are
lots of things that I prefer to have on my bike, that I even consider
essential, that don't make it ride any better.

Chalo

Tom Kunich

Jul 9, 2008, 6:29:33 PM7/9/08
"Chalo" <chalo....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I rarely get on my bike anymore except
> to go somewhere for some purpose other than pushing pedals.

Sorry to hear that. Cycling is something that can relieve a lot of
frustrations.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 9, 2008, 8:57:27 PM7/9/08
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:25:54 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:

>First, your wife rejected a kickstand because it was heavy.

Carl, did you ever add that seven pound weight to your bike? No? Then
shut up.

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 9, 2008, 10:51:11 PM7/9/08

Dear John,

Er, yes, I did. Apparently you missed lots of posts.

Let us know when you catch up.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo

Jul 10, 2008, 12:12:36 AM7/10/08
Tom Kunich wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > I rarely get on my bike anymore except
> > to go somewhere for some purpose other than pushing pedals.
>
> Sorry to hear that. Cycling is something that can relieve a lot of
> frustrations.

I know that. But it works even if you come back with groceries.

Night before last, I moved a 4' x 12' chicken coop and ten flustered
chickens to my new house on a pedal trike-trailer combo. It would be
very difficult to have more fun than that on a silly road bike with no
accessories.

Chalo

Tom Sherman

Jul 10, 2008, 12:37:36 AM7/10/08
Chalo Colina wrote:

> Night before last, I moved a 4' x 12' chicken coop and ten flustered
> chickens to my new house on a pedal trike-trailer combo. It would be
> very difficult to have more fun than that on a silly road bike with no
> accessories.

Do not leave bicycle drive train parts and other materials lying around,
or the chickens might build a pedal powered airplane and fly off. ;)

Joel Mayes

Jul 10, 2008, 2:39:47 AM7/10/08
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 21:12:36 -0700 (PDT)
Chalo <chalo....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Night before last, I moved a 4' x 12' chicken coop and ten flustered
> chickens to my new house on a pedal trike-trailer combo. It would be
> very difficult to have more fun than that on a silly road bike with no
> accessories.
>
> Chalo

Nice paragraph! Me thinks that would make a nice .sig

Cheers

Joel

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 3:22:33 AM7/10/08

Dear Chalo,

Well, I count 14 mostly alert-looking chickens here, and a rider who
seems to be reasonably content:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Bike_with_chickens.jpg

:-)

The bike is an Eastman, with an interesting rear side-box. No idea
what kind of chickens.

If this elicits comments on Eastman bikes, chicken breeds, or a photo
of a tall RBT poster with ten flustered chickens and a coop, everyone
comes out ahead.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 10, 2008, 8:00:57 AM7/10/08
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:51:11 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:57:27 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
><usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:25:54 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>First, your wife rejected a kickstand because it was heavy.
>>
>>Carl, did you ever add that seven pound weight to your bike? No? Then
>>shut up.
>
>Dear John,
>
>Er, yes, I did. Apparently you missed lots of posts.

Deal Carl,

Er Carl,

Dear Carl,

I saw when you claimed that the stuff you normally ride with was the
extra weight, but that's not what I was asking.

Dear Carl,

Er Carl,

Dear Carl,

With cheers regards I am asking you to just add 7 pounds more. If I
missed that Dear Carl Cheers Carl Err Carl, then you have my sincere
apologies.

Cheers Dear Carl

JT

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 10, 2008, 8:01:58 AM7/10/08
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:51:11 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:

Dear Carl Er Carl Dear Carl,

It is quite easy for readers to miss what you write since you instead
of writing "Yes" or "No" you prefer multiple paragraphs.

Dear Carl with Cheers JT

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 12:24:49 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:00:57 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:51:11 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:57:27 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
>><usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>>>Carl, did you ever add that seven pound weight to your bike? No? Then
>>>shut up.
>>
>>Dear John,
>>
>>Er, yes, I did. Apparently you missed lots of posts.
>
>Deal Carl,
>
>Er Carl,
>
>Dear Carl,
>
>I saw when you claimed that the stuff you normally ride with was the
>extra weight, but that's not what I was asking.
>
>Dear Carl,
>
>Er Carl,
>
>Dear Carl,
>
>With cheers regards I am asking you to just add 7 pounds more. If I
>missed that Dear Carl Cheers Carl Err Carl, then you have my sincere
>apologies.
>
>Cheers Dear Carl
>
>JT

Dear John,

And you obviously missed all the posts and pictures with the 7 pounds
of steel rods added to the top tube.

They were in the same thread.

Let us know if you ever catch up.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 12:25:53 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:01:58 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:51:11 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:57:27 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
>><usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>>>Carl, did you ever add that seven pound weight to your bike? No? Then
>>>shut up.
>>
>>Dear John,
>>
>>Er, yes, I did. Apparently you missed lots of posts.
>>
>>Let us know when you catch up.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel
>

>Dear Carl Er Carl Dear Carl,
>
>It is quite easy for readers to miss what you write since you instead
>of writing "Yes" or "No" you prefer multiple paragraphs.
>
>Dear Carl with Cheers JT

Dear John,

Let us know when you can handle posts with more than one-word posts.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

A Muzi

Jul 10, 2008, 12:29:12 PM7/10/08

carl...@comcast.net wrote:
> Well, I count 14 mostly alert-looking chickens here, and a rider who
> seems to be reasonably content:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Bike_with_chickens.jpg
> :-)
> The bike is an Eastman, with an interesting rear side-box. No idea
> what kind of chickens.
> If this elicits comments on Eastman bikes, chicken breeds, or a photo
> of a tall RBT poster with ten flustered chickens and a coop, everyone
> comes out ahead.

You _counted_ the chickens?
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 10, 2008, 1:06:58 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:24:49 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:

>And you obviously missed all the posts and pictures with the 7 pounds
>of steel rods added to the top tube.

If that is true, I apologize, but frankly I got tired of reading your
persistent dodges and fluff and left the thread. Your fault entirely.

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 1:14:38 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:29:12 -0500, A Muzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>
wrote:

Dear Andrew,

Surely you realize after all these years that the details are what
matter on RBT?

Not having Chalo's experience in such matters, my first impression
after google images produced thousands of pictures of bicycles and
chickens was no better than this:

"Boy, that guy has a _lot_ of chickens on his handlebar!"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Bike_with_chickens.jpg

But this is RBT, where inaccuracy and carelessness are ruthlessly
exposed through the ever-friendly peer process.

What if Chalo had given the tethered flock a practiced glance, honed
by years of transporting chickens (both his and otherwise), and
announced that the load might look like a lot to an amateur like me,
but that he carries that many chickens just for company on short rides
down to the store?

So yes, I counted--twice, in fact, which raised what I thought at
first in my inexperienced haste was only twelve to fourteen. (It's not
a low-chicken-count bicycle.)

Interestingly, I count eight chickens on one side, but only six on the
other, which may be the chicken-hauling equivalent of half-radial
lacing.

Furthermore, it is obvious even to the layman that the chickens are
tied, though not soldered, and have emphatically _not_ been
stress-relieved, though some chicken experts do indeed wring the necks
of their cargo before transport, claiming that it produces a smoother
ride.

Heads-out is clearly favored by chicken-builders.

The rider himself may spark ugly controvery--he has the coolest helmet
that I've ever seen, he favors treaded tires, and he wears the dread
pants and loose shirt that some believe will cost a rider a minute per
mile.

Those who think that raising and transporting chickens is a subject
unworthy of its own technical group should read this and reconsider
their position:
http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/1556/

I have no doubt that Chalo has absorbed the lessons of the master and
that Twain would approve of Chalo's technique.

For further information, consult Wodehouse's canonical text:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3829

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 2:08:30 PM7/10/08

Dear John,

If?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo

Jul 10, 2008, 2:35:18 PM7/10/08
Carl Fogel wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
>
> >Night before last, I moved a 4' x 12' chicken coop and ten flustered
> >chickens to my new house on a pedal trike-trailer combo.  It would be
> >very difficult to have more fun than that on a silly road bike with no
> >accessories.
>
> Well, I count 14 mostly alert-looking chickens here, and a rider who
> seems to be reasonably content:
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Bike_with_chickens...

>  :-)
>
> The bike is an Eastman, with an interesting rear side-box. No idea
> what kind of chickens.
>
> If this elicits comments on Eastman bikes, chicken breeds, or a photo
> of a tall RBT poster with ten flustered chickens and a coop, everyone
> comes out ahead.

I had to traumatize the chickens late at night, when they were snug in
their roosting boxes and the streets were suitable for the passage of
a large, slow-moving chickenmobile. Thus, alas, the available photos
are rather lousy. But here are a couple anyway.

The trike and trailer were built by my friend Jeremy Rosen of Austin
Bike Zoo. I had intended to use the similar but much larger combo
that he and I built to carry my wife's eight-piece band in the New
Year's parade, but trees would have fouled its canopy at both ends of
the voyage. Jeremy's smaller, lighter rig is faster and easier to
ride anyway. It turned out that the load platform was _exactly_ the
right size for the width and length of the chicken house.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#5221449220143358498

Here is a picture of the beleaguered pullets peering out from their
huddled nighttime configuration:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#5106782846418368274

Chalo

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 2:47:41 PM7/10/08

Dear Chalo,

Thanks!

I see that your chickens favor white colored tread for climbing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#5221449220143358498

And in the other photo, the coop's spokes are clearly tied or twisted
in an elaborate wire pattern:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#5221449222027715954

I look forward to pictures of you transporting the eight members of
your wife's band in the same coop.

After all, if Hitchcock felt that actors should be treated like
cattle, then musicians . . .

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Winston

Jul 10, 2008, 3:38:16 PM7/10/08
Say Chalo,

> http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#5221449220143358498

I noticed that picture 4 of 4 shows bash guards on both
sides of a single speed chainring.
Was that full custom or can I purchase those guards somewhere?

Thanks

--Winston

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jul 10, 2008, 3:40:25 PM7/10/08

Dear Er Carl,

I am not about to wade through your bloated nonsesne to track down
that fact, so I'll use "if".

Dear Er Carl Dear Cheers,

If you had answered the question in a straightfoward manner the first
or second time I'd asked it I'd feel some repsonsiblity for a possible
error. But given your writing style Dear Carl, I don't

Er cheers Dear Er

JT

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 10, 2008, 4:40:11 PM7/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:40:25 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:08:30 -0600, carl...@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:06:58 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
>><usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>>>If that is true, I apologize, but frankly I got tired of reading your
>>>persistent dodges and fluff and left the thread. Your fault entirely.
>>
>>Dear John,
>>
>>If?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel
>

>Dear Er Carl,
>
>I am not about to wade through your bloated nonsesne to track down
>that fact, so I'll use "if".
>
>Dear Er Carl Dear Cheers,
>
>If you had answered the question in a straightfoward manner the first
>or second time I'd asked it I'd feel some repsonsiblity for a possible
>error. But given your writing style Dear Carl, I don't
>
>Er cheers Dear Er
>
>JT

Dear John,

So you just kept asking me to add 7 pounds to my bike, but you never
noticed that I did it and posted pictures and details?

Let us know when you catch up.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Chalo

Jul 10, 2008, 5:16:12 PM7/10/08
Winston wrote:

> >http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#522144922014...

> I noticed that picture 4 of 4 shows bash guards on both
> sides of a single speed chainring.
> Was that full custom or can I purchase those guards somewhere?

I machined the chain guides, spider, chainring bolts, and bottom
bracket in that photo.

You can get this system, but it tops out at 30t:
http://www.danscomp.com/512029.php
http://www.danscomp.com/458044.php

Other BMX rings are available with an integrated outside guard, in
sizes up to at least 39t. But you'd have to get creative about
mounting a guard ring on the inboard side.

If you use a 130mm BCD "road" or "road triple" crank, you can use
these guards:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/130.html#cyclocross

You can also use them (with appropriate spacers) in the 130mm pattern
of a 110/130 chainring like this:

http://www.danscomp.com/459030.php

The most economical way to do what you're talking about is to get a
couple of old chainrings about half a dozen teeth bigger than the one
you want to use, and clip-file-grind the teeth off. Then use long
chainring bolts and spacers to mount them.

Note that any time you mount a large plate inboard of the chainring,
you'll have to run the cranks further outboard than would otherwise be
necessary. That might take a longer BB spindle, or it might not be
feasible for some up-to-date 2-piece cranks or those with a limited
selection of BB lengths.

Chalo

Winston

Jul 10, 2008, 6:03:06 PM7/10/08
Chalo wrote:
> Winston wrote:
>
>>>http://picasaweb.google.com/chalo.colina/BikeStuff/photo#522144922014...
>>
>>I noticed that picture 4 of 4 shows bash guards on both
>>sides of a single speed chainring.
>>Was that full custom or can I purchase those guards somewhere?
>

> I machined the chain guides, spider, chainring bolts, and bottom
> bracket in that photo.

(...)
> Chalo

Thanks!