Who needs glue?

1 view

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 24, 2007, 3:33:04 PM6/24/07
The solid tire was the high-quality red-rubber version and originally
tightened onto the rim a core wire at the splice, but it's shrunk
enough to leave a huge tire-splice gap at about 11 o'clock.

Every fourth spokes, you'll see a wire holding the tire to the rim:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5mv0TWCr7/velomania_isop_det.jpg

As you can see, the rear wheel has two problem spokes:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5mZAghh7P/velomania_isop.jpg

Solid red rubber tires in better condition:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nNEFdmqB/velo_19.jpg

New-fangled pneumatic tires for comparison, with gratutious wooden
rims, block chain, and possibly replaceable front chain-ring:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nOVg6UuZ/velo_17.jpg

Given these Finnish water bottles, it's no wonder that they're lying
in a tangled heap by the side of the road:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nHLxcgmJ/velo_6.jpg

Angry villagers chasing highwheeler:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nHM34RgZ/velo_13.jpg

The Sawyer quadricycle that I was looking for when I stumbled over the
other pictures. Note the early clipless pedals and the elegant seat
bag:

http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nNBHwXwt/velo_3.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 24, 2007, 7:40:24 PM6/24/07

That silly thing has a 34-spoke radial front wheel:

http://i19.tinypic.com/6bwj72t.jpg

I counted the oddball 34 spokes twice before I gave up and numbered
them in a paint program. The rear wheel is a decent 36-spoke radial.

The dingus hanging below the far side of the hub is probably a
highwheeler-style mounting pedal, which was popular on early safeties,
just like the highwheeler-style adjustable-slot crank pedals.

Everyone was used to the highwheeler custom of pushing from the side
to get going, stepping up, sitting, and _then_ putting the feet on the
pedals. Similarly, everyone was used to adjusting the pedal length,
not the seat height--like a highwheeler, this frame doesn't have a
seat post.

Note the highwheeler-style curve of the down-tube, hugging the arc of
the front fender and tire.

The thingies on the fork near the axle are fixie coasting pegs.

The spoon brake has way too many adjustment holes.

CF

Hank Wirtz

Jun 24, 2007, 8:02:08 PM6/24/07
On Jun 24, 4:40 pm, carlfo...@comcast.net wrote:

Maybe the manufacturer REALLY didn't want anyone respoking it with a
crossing pattern...

A Muzi

Jun 24, 2007, 11:01:24 PM6/24/07
carl...@comcast.net wrote:
> That silly thing has a 34-spoke radial front wheel:
> http://i19.tinypic.com/6bwj72t.jpg
> I counted the oddball 34 spokes twice before I gave up and numbered
> them in a paint program. The rear wheel is a decent 36-spoke radial.
> The dingus hanging below the far side of the hub is probably a
> highwheeler-style mounting pedal, which was popular on early safeties,
> just like the highwheeler-style adjustable-slot crank pedals.
> Everyone was used to the highwheeler custom of pushing from the side
> to get going, stepping up, sitting, and _then_ putting the feet on the
> pedals. Similarly, everyone was used to adjusting the pedal length,
> not the seat height--like a highwheeler, this frame doesn't have a
> seat post.
> Note the highwheeler-style curve of the down-tube, hugging the arc of
> the front fender and tire.
> The thingies on the fork near the axle are fixie coasting pegs.
>
> The spoon brake has way too many adjustment holes.

Cool photo.
Wouldn't the brake adjusting holes correlate with stem height?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 24, 2007, 11:18:11 PM6/24/07
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:01:24 -0500, A Muzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>
wrote:

Dear Andrew,

I think that you're right. There's what looks like a huge set-screw
for raising and lowering the handlebar.

But it implies--gulp!--about half-a-foot of stem adjustment, judging
by the two bolts, the 7 holes, and the handy scale provided by the
inch-pitch teeth on the front sprocket.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

waxbytes

Jun 24, 2007, 11:38:35 PM6/24/07

I guess that this bicycle would not be UCI legal since it's a
"non-traditional" design with no seatube?

--
waxbytes

Sir Ridesalot

Jun 25, 2007, 3:29:59 AM6/25/07
On Jun 24, 3:33 pm, carlfo...@comcast.net wrote:

> Given these Finnish water bottles, it's no wonder that they're lying
> in a tangled heap by the side of the road:
>
> http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5nHLxcgmJ/velo_6.jpg
>

> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Hi Carl. Great images.

Wow! Check out the bladed front fork on the bike at the extreme left
of the photo. I wonder if it was faster being more aero than the other
two? VBG

It is interesting just how little is truly new.

Cheers from Peter

DougC

Jun 25, 2007, 1:26:32 PM6/25/07
carl...@comcast.net wrote:
> The solid tire was the high-quality red-rubber version and originally
> tightened onto the rim a core wire at the splice, but it's shrunk
> enough to leave a huge tire-splice gap at about 11 o'clock.
>
> Every fourth spokes, you'll see a wire holding the tire to the rim:
>
> http://www.tampere.fi/kuvat/5mv0TWCr7/velomania_isop_det.jpg

Do we have any evidence that the wires tying the tire on now were
actually used when the bike was new?

It looks like perhaps something that may have been done for display
purposes, considering that the original tire was no longer supple enough
to mount normally.
~

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 25, 2007, 2:22:51 PM6/25/07

Dear Peter,

Well, some things change.

http://i13.tinypic.com/5495f0p.jpg

Most riders worried about aerodynamics no longer wear watch chains,
use squeeze-bulb horns, add mud-flaps to their fenders, ride on
treaded tires, carry frame pumps, or smoke.

They do use half-inch chain and sprockets, cable-controlled gears,
cotterless cranks, and new-fangled air-valves on their tires.

One out of three probably tries to fend photographers off with a
stick.

More seriously, the middle bike is probably faster than the left-hand
bike, since it has hub gearing and top-tube mounted friction shifter.

The bladed fork on the left bike is just simpler and cheaper to
manufacture. Here's an 1885 patent (U.S. 313083) showing the steps
needed to make a more complicated tubular fork:

http://i16.tinypic.com/5zmrqtl.jpg

Cheers*,

Carl Fogel

*Or Kippis, as those three Finnish riders might have said. The entry
for Finland dwarfs all other entries in this list of translations for
"Bottoms up!":

http://www.awa.dk/glosary/slainte.htm

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 25, 2007, 2:56:07 PM6/25/07
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:26:32 -0500, DougC <dci...@norcom2000.com>
wrote:

Dear Doug,

I suppose that the museum might have put twenty or so wire loops on
the tire to hold it in place for display purposes, but it seems
unlikely--the two wires at the tire splice would have held it in
place. Or even a zip tie or two.

Note that most (but not all) of the wires have shifted around until
they fetched up against a spoke, always in the same direction, counter
clockwise in this view, which is the way that constant acceleration
would drag them. (A few remain in the middle between two spokes, and
the two at the splice are a special case.)

Note the two tire-wires on the upper right of the small rear wheel.
They look battered, not like something added long after the bike was
no longer being ridden.

Note on the large wheel how some wires are digging into the rubber
quite noticeably, while others don't--this looks like the effects of
either deterioration over the years, riding causing different wear
rates, or someone twisting some wires tighter than a museum worker
concerned only with keeping a display neat.

Loose highwheeler tires were indeed wired in practice. Karl Kron
mentions using some fine wire just to tie loose splice ends down:

"I may as well say here that I have driven my second set of tires
4,700 miles, and that I think that at least another 1,000 miles will
be required to 'pound them to rags.' The splice in the big tire worked
loose in this second set, just as the splice in the little one worked
loose in the first, though not until I had driven it some 2,500 miles,
or more than ten times as far as in the first case. After two or three
unsatisfactory experiments with cement, I had the loose end of the
splice sewed down with fine wire; and this improvement lasted for 500
miles, or until the tip of the splice broke off."

--"Ten Thousand Miles on a Bicycle," Karl Kron, p. 37-8

In fact, Kron used string instead of the heavy wire seen in the museum
picture:

"On the following day the little tire worked loose, for the first time
in its history; and, for the first time in my experience, I made use
of cemnent in re-setting it. I was obliged to ride ten miles before
reaching the cement, however, and as the tire had been literally worn
to shreds, and as my supply of string was rather limited, the tattered
india-rubber would occasionally bulge out from the im far enough to
strike the fork, and thus call my attention to its sad condition. In
the large tire, also, an indentation, at the point where the two ends
had been worn away [the splice gap], caused a definite jar at each
revolution of the wheel during the last 600 miles."

--"Ten THousand Miles on a Bicycle," Karl Kron, p. 47

Kron rode a small 46-inch highwheeler, so his Pope cyclometer ticked
over roughly every 144 inches, a jar every 12 feet, or 264,000 jars in
that 600 miles. That many bumps wears a noticeable hole in even a tiny
gap where the tire ends meet.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

A Muzi

Jun 26, 2007, 1:54:10 AM6/26/07
-snip-
carl...@comcast.net wrote:
> http://i13.tinypic.com/5495f0p.jpg

> More seriously, the middle bike is probably faster than the left-hand
> bike, since it has hub gearing and top-tube mounted friction shifter.

Looks like a Sturmey Archer K series quadrant to me.

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 26, 2007, 2:38:23 AM6/26/07
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:54:10 -0500, A Muzi <a...@yellowjersey.org>
wrote:

>-snip-

>carl...@comcast.net wrote:
>> http://i13.tinypic.com/5495f0p.jpg
>> More seriously, the middle bike is probably faster than the left-hand
>> bike, since it has hub gearing and top-tube mounted friction shifter.
>
>Looks like a Sturmey Archer K series quadrant to me.

Dear Andrew,

If a date is any help, the Finnish caption suggests that the photo was
taken around 1920 to 1930:

"Pyörästä tuli kaiken kansan kulkupeli 1920–1930-luvulla. Polkupyörä
avasi nuorille maaseudun miehille laajemmat ympyrät. Pyörillä
liikuttiin kotikylistä kaupunkeihin, naapuripitäjiin, tansseihin ja
muihin rientoihin. Kuva: M. Luhtala / Vapriikin kuva-arkisto."

http://www.tampere.fi/vapriikki/media/kuvia/index.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

A Muzi

Jun 26, 2007, 11:58:08 AM6/26/07

carl...@comcast.net wrote:
> If a date is any help, the Finnish caption suggests that the photo was
> taken around 1920 to 1930:
>
> "Pyörästä tuli kaiken kansan kulkupeli 1920–1930-luvulla. Polkupyörä
> avasi nuorille maaseudun miehille laajemmat ympyrät. Pyörillä
> liikuttiin kotikylistä kaupunkeihin, naapuripitäjiin, tansseihin ja
> muihin rientoihin. Kuva: M. Luhtala / Vapriikin kuva-arkisto."
> http://www.tampere.fi/vapriikki/media/kuvia/index.html

The "K" shifter is distinctive and it's period-correct.
I can't make anything of that Suomi caption. (AltaVista'a translator
skips from Dutch to French)

A R:nen

Jun 26, 2007, 12:59:15 PM6/26/07
carl...@comcast.net writes:

> If a date is any help, the Finnish caption suggests that the photo was
> taken around 1920 to 1930:

> "Pyörästä tuli kaiken kansan kulkupeli 1920–1930-luvulla. Polkupyörä
> avasi nuorille maaseudun miehille laajemmat ympyrät. Pyörillä
> liikuttiin kotikylistä kaupunkeihin, naapuripitäjiin, tansseihin ja
> muihin rientoihin. Kuva: M. Luhtala / Vapriikin kuva-arkisto."

Very much "around" if the bottles contain what I think they do,
Finland had prohibition from 1919 to 1934...

"The bicycle became the people's favoured vehicle in the 1920s/30s.
It opened a broader world for the young men of the countryside. Bikes
were used for going from the home village to towns and neighbouring
parishes, to dances and other activities. Photo: M. Luhtala /
Vapriikki photo archive."

carl...@comcast.net

Jun 26, 2007, 3:24:54 PM6/26/07
On 26 Jun 2007 19:59:15 +0300, oron...@ling.helsinki.fi (A R:nen)
wrote:

Dear A,

Thanks for the translation.

Horrifyingly, many Finns defied their country's laws against liquor:

"Finland. Prohibition is enacted (1917), but quickly fails as illicit
distribution overly burdens police and smuggling becomes widespread
(1919-1920)."

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/centers/cifas/drugsandsociety/background/chronologydruguse.html

"Based on the report of a Wickershamian commission which recently
probed Finnish prohibition, the preamble to the Government bill
declared: "In the past twelve years Prohibition has not produced the
changes in the nation's habits which were expected. . . . On the
contrary, the law has been openly and persistently violated.'"

Monday, Dec. 14, 1931 Time magazine

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,930037,00.html

Cheers,

Alphonse Capone

Michael Press

Jun 26, 2007, 7:25:46 PM6/26/07
In article
<tep28357if6ijrc6g...@4ax.com>,
carl...@comcast.net wrote:

I once heard it asserted that in the interval when the
eighteenth ammendment was enforced, the per-capita
amount of alcohol consumed in the USA decreased, and
after it was repealed the consumption remained
considerably lower than before the enactment, but that
seems to be erroneous.

<URL:http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-157.html>

Nineteenth century temperance movements were very effective.
<URL:http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/ssb/index.cfm?CollectionID=64>

One USA gallon of absolute alcohol is about 10 quarts
of whisky. There is nothing to be gained by reducing
per-capita consumption from 1.8 US gallon/ year, and no
effective way to do it. The per-capita is computed from
a drinking age of 15 years.

--
Michael Press

Johnny Sunset

Jun 26, 2007, 9:26:07 PM6/26/07
On Jun 26, 6:25 pm, Michael Press wrote:

> I once heard it asserted that in the interval when the
> eighteenth ammendment was enforced, the per-capita
> amount of alcohol consumed in the USA decreased, and
> after it was repealed the consumption remained
> considerably lower than before the enactment, but that
> seems to be erroneous....

But hey, Prohibition was greatly profitable for organized crime, and
the profits were used to invest in legitimate businesses for money
laundering purposes.

Of course, the process has been repeated for the last 3½ decades
starting with "Nixon's War on Drugs", a plan that makes aluminium
alloy, titanium alloy and carbon fiber composite spokes look simply
brilliant.

Michael Press

Jun 27, 2007, 1:27:01 AM6/27/07
In article
<1182907567.1...@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>
,
Johnny Sunset <sunset...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 6:25 pm, Michael Press wrote:
> > I once heard it asserted that in the interval when the
> > eighteenth ammendment was enforced, the per-capita
> > amount of alcohol consumed in the USA decreased, and
> > after it was repealed the consumption remained
> > considerably lower than before the enactment, but that
> > seems to be erroneous....
>
> But hey, Prohibition was greatly profitable for organized crime, and
> the profits were used to invest in legitimate businesses for money
> laundering purposes.
>

> Of course, the process has been repeated for the last 3? decades

> starting with "Nixon's War on Drugs", a plan that makes aluminium
> alloy, titanium alloy and carbon fiber composite spokes look simply
> brilliant.

It is simple, properly viewed. Let us be literal. The
war on drugs is literally a drug war. The
pharmaceutical companies purchased a franchise to sell
drugs, and they expect the US government to live up to
the terms of the franchise by putting out of business
all competitors to the franchise holders. Walk into any
pharmacy. Look at the shelves and shelves of
pharmaceuticals available for immediate purchase. Those
shelves turn over like a clock. Look at the lines of
people at the dispensing pharmacy, waiting to have
their prescriptions filled. Ka-ching.

--
Michael Press

A R:nen

Jun 27, 2007, 4:52:40 AM6/27/07
carl...@comcast.net writes:

> Horrifyingly, many Finns defied their country's laws against liquor:

> "Finland. Prohibition is enacted (1917), but quickly fails as illicit
> distribution overly burdens police and smuggling becomes widespread
> (1919-1920)."

Certainly, but posing for self-incriminating photos in such a context
does seem a bit over the top. (The law was originally approved already
in 1907 but it didn't enter into force until 1919. Also, of course it
ended on 5 Apr 32 at 10 o'clock, not 1934 as I wrote earlier.)

Jasper Janssen

Jul 1, 2007, 6:43:48 AM7/1/07

The Prohibition law may have been exactly why they were showing off so --
if it wasn't illegal, would *all three* have a liquor bottle and be
defiantly showing it to the photographer?

Jasper

RBrickston

Jul 1, 2007, 7:03:37 AM7/1/07
> On 27 Jun 2007 11:52:40 +0300, oron...@ling.helsinki.fi (A R:nen) wrote:
> >carl...@comcast.net writes:
> >
> >> Horrifyingly, many Finns defied their country's laws against liquor:
> >
> >> "Finland. Prohibition is enacted (1917), but quickly fails as illicit
> >> distribution overly burdens police and smuggling becomes widespread
> >> (1919-1920)."
> >
> Certainly, but posing for self-incriminating photos in such a context
> does seem a bit over the top. (The law was originally approved already
> in 1907 but it didn't enter into force until 1919. Also, of course it
> ended on 5 Apr 32 at 10 o'clock, not 1934 as I wrote earlier.)

Self-incriminating? Pictures of liquor bottles are just that and only
that. The contents of the liquor bottles would be impossible to prove.