When did tires get so expensive?

SMS

Jan 2, 2011, 9:58:08 PM1/2/11
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

Chalo

Jan 2, 2011, 10:53:45 PM1/2/11

It is strange in a not-good way that bicycle tires cost almost as much
as car tires.

To answer your initial question, it was probably about the time the US
dollar fell in the toilet and nobody bothered to fish it out.

Chalo

kolldata

Jan 2, 2011, 11:14:33 PM1/2/11
Cugnot's complaint

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 2, 2011, 11:51:12 PM1/2/11
"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

A combination of absurd increases in several chemicals used in bicycle
tires did things in. A veritable perfect storm. I had this exact
conversation last week with Al Clark, the guy at Trek in charge of
all-things tires. He's been in the business for years and hasn't seen
anything like it, not even the run-up in commodity prices just prior to
the recession. The price you got it for was really good, all things
considered. If they have more, buy more. I can't touch it; I'm operating
off recently-purchased inventory (those tires turn relatively quickly).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dan O

Jan 3, 2011, 12:03:29 AM1/3/11

$20? With an affinity for high thread counts and Italian racing
mystique, I had to have a pair of Vittoria's new Randoneeur Hyper at
around $40 each. (They felt very good under the bike, BTW.) With
less than a couple thousand miles on them, though, I rode over
something nasty while wiping my glasses and ruined the rear tire :-(

Bill Sornson

Jan 3, 2011, 1:38:31 AM1/3/11
?"SMS" wrote in message news:4d213b40$0$44013$742e...@news.sonic.net...

##

##

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
(Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

BS (not)

slide

Jan 3, 2011, 9:55:38 AM1/3/11

There has been a huge run up in commodity prices due to many factors
relating to worldwide shortages due both to production issues and wider
demand (see BRIC).

kolldata

Jan 3, 2011, 12:12:42 PM1/3/11

AMuzi

Jan 3, 2011, 12:45:00 PM1/3/11

Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Lou Holtman

Jan 3, 2011, 1:21:20 PM1/3/11
Op 3-1-2011 7:38, Bill Sornson schreef:

16 dollar for a Tom Slick is a bargain.
Gas at the moment is 1.67 euro/liter, or 8.44 dollar/gallon.

Lou

kolldata

Jan 3, 2011, 1:36:52 PM1/3/11
ANSWER 10

NOT more expensive on any scale.
For example, near here there's a Fogel History Post on costs for
English hi-risers. I can't find it this morning. I'll ask Sachs.
Costs were astronomical worked out to today's exchange rates -$14000
for the rig and snot a Shimano wear factor in there fersure.
Anyway $15 tires are toys for children. Your children.

landotter

Jan 3, 2011, 2:30:50 PM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 11:45 am, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > ?"SMS"  wrote in messagenews:4d213b40$0$44013$742e...@news.sonic.net...

Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.

AMuzi

Jan 3, 2011, 2:41:26 PM1/3/11

David Scheidt

Jan 3, 2011, 3:16:14 PM1/3/11
AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

Cry, at your thorough, and often repeated, innumeracy?

--
sig 7

bfd

Jan 3, 2011, 3:55:00 PM1/3/11
On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:

These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

If you want to make your tires last, read Sheldon Brown's article on
"rotating" tires:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

Good Luck!

Chalo

Jan 3, 2011, 4:01:40 PM1/3/11
AMuzi wrote:

> landotter wrote:

> > AMuzi wrote:
> >>
> >> Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
> >> Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.
>
> > Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.
>
> Laugh or cry:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

Ds and Rs have been equally complicit in meddling with the CPI to
obscure the real cost of living "because those prices are volatile".
Ha! Excluding the "volatile" food and energy sectors basically means
that increases in prices of necessities (food, clothing, shelter, and
transportation) are not taken into account. They even shift the
goalposts around (which they call "hedonic regression") so that if
manufacturers add a new button to your TV, then CPI says it doesn't
cost any more, even if it does.

This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
people. (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

Here's a good place to get those statistical numbers calculated down
the old way, like the government used to do in the '60s and '70s:

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

Chalo

James

Jan 3, 2011, 4:47:50 PM1/3/11
bfd wrote:
> On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
>> daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
>> bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
>> Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
>> having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
>> the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
>> high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
>> $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
>> 26" x 1.25".
>
> These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
> are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
> expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

In most bike shops I've visited around Melbourne, the Michelin Krylion
tyres I use are priced at almost $100 AUD ea. I've seen them on the
shelf for $110. These links are typical of the lower prices.

http://www.freedommachine.com.au/Parts/Road/Tyres/Michelin-Krylion-Carbon.asp?Category=119
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/100004177-michelin-michelin-krylion-tyres

Online shopping brings that down to about $37 AUD ea.

Someone here in the retail bike industry told me that the manufacturers
have 'B' grade tyres that get sold by online bike shops. If there is a
difference, I can't detect any.

Regardless, I cannot remember the last puncture, but it must have been
well over a year ago (10,000km+). I replaced the rear tyre on the
weekend. The threads were beginning to show. Better late than never!

JS.

landotter

Jan 3, 2011, 4:53:26 PM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 3:01 pm, Chalo <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AMuzi wrote:
>
> > landotter wrote:

> > > Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.
>
> > Laugh or cry:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf
>
> Ds and Rs have been equally complicit in meddling with the CPI to
> obscure the real cost of living "because those prices are volatile".
> Ha!  Excluding the "volatile" food and energy sectors basically means
> that increases in prices of necessities (food, clothing, shelter, and
> transportation) are not taken into account.  They even shift the
> goalposts around (which they call "hedonic regression") so that if
> manufacturers add a new button to your TV, then CPI says it doesn't
> cost any more, even if it does.
>
> This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
> people.  (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
evidence...

Chalo

Jan 3, 2011, 4:59:30 PM1/3/11
landotter wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
> > people.  (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)
>
> And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
> simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
> evidence...

Man, we should have nationalized the banksters after what they did.

landotter

Jan 3, 2011, 5:00:38 PM1/3/11

But that would have been Staliny!

bfd

Jan 3, 2011, 6:34:36 PM1/3/11
On Jan 3, 1:47 pm, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> > On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
> >> daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
> >> bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
> >> Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
> >> having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
> >> the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
> >> high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
> >> $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
> >> 26" x 1.25".
>
> > These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
> > are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
> > expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!
>
> In most bike shops I've visited around Melbourne, the Michelin Krylion
> tyres I use are priced at almost $100 AUD ea.  I've seen them on the
> shelf for $110.  These links are typical of the lower prices.
>
> http://www.freedommachine.com.au/Parts/Road/Tyres/Michelin-Krylion-Ca...http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/100004177-michelin-michelin...

> Online shopping brings that down to about $37 AUD ea.

Don't know about AUD prices, but UK prices can be found pretty cheap
on Michelin tires.

For example, chainreactioncycles in the UK sells Michelin Krylion for
$27.50US each:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20460

Further, if you buy $275 worth of products (or 10 tires), you get free
shipping too! You may want to look into what it these tires in AUD
currency.

> Someone here in the retail bike industry told me that the manufacturers
> have 'B' grade tyres that get sold by online bike shops.  If there is a
> difference, I can't detect any.
>
> Regardless, I cannot remember the last puncture, but it must have been
> well over a year ago (10,000km+).  I replaced the rear tyre on the
> weekend.  The threads were beginning to show.  Better late than never!

As I stated earlier, if you want to make your tires last, read Sheldon

James

Jan 3, 2011, 6:47:13 PM1/3/11

Indeed, for this reason I buy from online shops like CRC, ProBikeKit,
Wiggle, Ribble, etc.

>> Someone here in the retail bike industry told me that the manufacturers
>> have 'B' grade tyres that get sold by online bike shops. If there is a
>> difference, I can't detect any.
>>
>> Regardless, I cannot remember the last puncture, but it must have been
>> well over a year ago (10,000km+). I replaced the rear tyre on the
>> weekend. The threads were beginning to show. Better late than never!
>>
> As I stated earlier, if you want to make your tires last, read Sheldon
> Brown's article on
> "rotating" tires:
>

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

From that page:
"Well-meaning cyclists, even some mechanics who don't know any better,
sometimes try to deal with this by swapping tires, putting the less worn
front tire on the back wheel, and moving the worn-but-usable rear tire
to the front. The idea is to equalize the wear on the two tires, but
this is a serious mistake, don't do it!"

And then:
"The only time tire rotation is appropriate on a bicycle is when you are
replacing the rear tire. If you feel like taking the trouble, and use
the same type of tire front and rear, you should move the front tire to
the rear wheel, and install the new tire in front.

The reason for this is that the front tire is much more critical for
safety than the rear, so you should have the more reliable tire on the
front."

I didn't feel like taking the trouble because my front tyre is still
just fine, IMHO.

Regards,
James.

Martin Riddle

Jan 3, 2011, 7:36:27 PM1/3/11

"Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote in message

Are old tires worth any carbon credits?

Cheers

SMS

Jan 3, 2011, 8:19:20 PM1/3/11
On 1/3/2011 12:55 PM, bfd wrote:
> On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS<scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
>> daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
>> bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
>> Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
>> having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
>> the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
>> high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
>> $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
>> 26" x 1.25".
>
> These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
> are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
> expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

Sounds like Performance was a deal then. Maybe I'll go back and buy some
more Ritchey Tom Slick tires.

I had a choice of four places close enough to go to buy a tire on
Sunday, REI, Wal-Mart, Off Ramp, and Performance. REI was the closest,
but I remembered that REI had a limited and expensive selection of tire.
Off Ramp and Performance are on the same block, and I've had good
experiences with both of these companies, but I recalled that
Performance had a very large tire selection, including their own brand
of CCTs (cheap Chinese tires).

If I had to pay $80 for a 700x23 tire, I wouldn't. I usually buy tires
at brick and mortar stores, but if the least expensive B&M store tire
were $40 then I'd find another B&M store or order online. There's 11
different Panaracer 700-23 tires from $17-35 at ebikestop.com, and some
even less than that (out of 98 different 700-23 tires).

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 9:25:30 PM1/3/11

The Big Lie in the Consumer Price Index (not counting food and energy)
predates Obama. These type of things happen when the oligarchs take
over government.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
"I still call myself a communist, because communism is no more

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 9:27:24 PM1/3/11
On 1/3/2011 12:36 PM, kolldata aka AVOGADRO IV wrote:
> ANSWER 10
>
> NOT more expensive on any scale.
> For example, near here there's a Fogel History Post on costs for
> English hi-risers. I can't find it this morning. I'll ask Sachs.[...]
^^^^^

Hans?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007

I am a vehicular cyclist.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 9:29:30 PM1/3/11

But Stalin gets the best music:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTXIUNEtw8Q>.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 10:14:19 PM1/3/11
On 1/3/2011 3:01 PM, Chalo Colina wrote:
> [...]

> This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
> people. (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)[...]

By any rational standard, the Democrats are a right-wing party.

Simon Lewis

Jan 3, 2011, 10:19:12 PM1/3/11
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> writes:

> I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
> daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
> bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
> Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
> having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
> the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
> high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
> $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
> 26" x 1.25".

You think thats expensive for a premium product?

Christ on a bike. Where have you been hibernating?

The Q is more how she blew a tire. It#s almost unheard of. Is she fat?

kolldata

Jan 3, 2011, 10:30:29 PM1/3/11
THE BANKING PROB is an attempt by BUSHITES now Tea What at building a
boom carrying over into the next election after 8 prior.
A cyclic prob. The bankers said 'no way Jose caws you one bug fuckup'
Basically the bankers were saving your ass while sacking dinero.

Chinese inflation is going at a stated rate of 5% and up. Chinese are
upset, mlostly looking up from the bottom. So maybe 7% real stats.

The Us has gas. Gotta bring gas into the Euro Zone, unsupported.
Butbutbut you see how gas pigdom is hard to eradicate once
'entrenched' (impacted) as gas drove veggies up caws we are bound to
shjipped winter vegggies. I'm in winter veggies land now for uh 23
years and in Cal this is impressive. The yellow boxcar may return.

Back to the original post: I propose killfilling the next and
allposters bleeding abt $15 tires. Unless urine grade school and then
youd need ur parents IRS.

I HAVE SPOKEN

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 10:39:42 PM1/3/11
When did Trotsky become a pejorative?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007

¡EL PUEBLO UNIDO JAMÁS SERÁ VENCIDO!

AMuzi

Jan 3, 2011, 11:19:50 PM1/3/11

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> By any rational standard, the Democrats are a right-wing party.

I don't care about them enough to discuss it but I parted
with the Republicans when they turned left wing.

Are we both Tea now?

AMuzi

Jan 3, 2011, 11:22:05 PM1/3/11

I think he would win if he appeared on a ballot in any local
election here. Dead or not.

SMS

Jan 3, 2011, 11:22:08 PM1/3/11
On 1/3/2011 9:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:

> Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie Department, Stalin
> and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

The official inflation rate is often a very bad indicator of inflation.

This is not the fault of the Obama administration, it predates Obama by
decades. There have been various attempts to fix it, often politically
motivated. I.e. when housing was going up at a high rate, they took out
housing because they claimed that if you owned a home, your housing
costs were really not going up. They did this because companies who gave
raises partially based on the cost of living were objecting to the
inflation rate being so high, and SSI payments were going up too fast.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 3, 2011, 11:33:14 PM1/3/11
On 1/3/2011 10:19 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
>> Chalo Colina wrote:
>> > [...]
>>> This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
>>> people. (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)[...]
>
> T�m Sherm�n� �_� > wrote:
>> By any rational standard, the Democrats are a right-wing party.
>
> I don't care about them enough to discuss it but I parted with the
> Republicans when they turned left wing.

When did socialism for the rich and social Darwinism for labor become
left-wing?

> Are we both Tea now?

Coffee.

--
T�m Sherm�n - 42.435731,-83.985007

SMS

Jan 4, 2011, 12:01:53 AM1/4/11

LOL, no not fat at all. The old tire was a Nashbar Streetwise 26 x 1.25.
The sidewall failed in two places. I don't remember how old the tire
was, but I think it was at least eight years old, and maybe the rubber
just deteriorated. Still plenty of tread left. The bicycle is used
pretty much every day to go to school, but only for maybe 4 miles a day.
I changed the front tire today as well to another Ritchey Tom Slick 26"
x 1.4" and it was a good time to put on the new front wheel with a
Shimano dynamo hub.

Bill Sornson

Jan 4, 2011, 6:07:53 PM1/4/11
?

> If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,

> then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
> regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
> hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
> (Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)
>
> BS (not)

***

"Are old tires worth any carbon credits?"

OMG! I have a HUGE pile of twisted old relics in my garage (OK, in the
dining room too).

Gore owes me!!!

SMS

Jan 4, 2011, 7:55:02 PM1/4/11
On 1/3/2011 12:55 PM, bfd wrote:

> These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
> are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
> expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

Think about a complete bicycle that sells for around $500. The tires on
that bicycle almost certainly cost the manufacturer only a few dollars
each. These are not fancy tires of course, but neither are they the
bottom of the line tires found on a $69 WalMart bicycle. I suppose $16
was a fair price for the Ritchey Tom Slick tires considering the various
mark-ups along the supply chain, but don't fall into the trap of
believing that a product that often sells for wildly inflated prices is
a huge bargain when it sells for a reasonable price.

It's too bad that the whole bike shop business model is so screwed up.
Bicycles, which require assembly, fitting, unsubsidized warranty
repairs, and which are expensive to stock in so many different sizes,
have a relatively small mark-up, while parts and accessories and
clothing, which require less labor to sell, and which you can charge
customers labor charges if the item requires installation, have very
large mark-ups.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 4, 2011, 9:20:02 PM1/4/11
On 1/4/2011 5:07 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:

> "Are old tires worth any carbon credits?"
>
> OMG! I have a HUGE pile of twisted old relics in my garage (OK, in the
> dining room too).
>[...]

You can tack them to the wall to make the Olympic symbol or the Auto
Union symbol.

Dan O

Jan 9, 2011, 10:27:36 AM1/9/11

I was just out in the garage looking at the Miyata on the stand
(recent quill stem thread had me checking for corrosion). (That's a
sweet hadlebar stem on that bike, BTW.) It has 700x23 Vittoria Rubino
Pros (the rear has a nasty cut that holds with a foil boot). I so
want to try 700x25 Vittoria Diamontes (or whatever they're called) on
it, but that's gonna be at least a 'C' note. (Maybe I get a pair of
Corsa's for about the same someday.)

(Do I win the parenthesizing contest? :-)

Dan O

Jan 9, 2011, 10:29:11 AM1/9/11

If I was fast enough I wouldn't pay anything for tires, but I'm not.

Dan O

Jan 9, 2011, 10:32:25 AM1/9/11

Which is something I wondered about tires and why they're so
expensive: Ever seen the trucks full of racing tires at the
racetrack? Who do you think pays for those? I realize thay're a
small % of overall production, but I imagine they cost a lot more to
make than the runs destined for retail. Just wondered.

Nate Nagel

Jan 9, 2011, 11:33:28 AM1/9/11

I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
of the B&M stores around here. Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
but just barely. This is why I order my tires online.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Tad McClellan

Jan 9, 2011, 12:09:25 PM1/9/11
Dan O <danov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Do I win the parenthesizing contest? :-)

Not even close when compared to the Strategic Defense Initiative:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.humor.funny.reruns/2006-04/msg00014.html

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"

SMS

Jan 9, 2011, 2:32:26 PM1/9/11
On 1/9/2011 8:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

> I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
> of the B&M stores around here. Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
> but just barely. This is why I order my tires online.

Well Performance has a bunch. That's why I went there, along with the
fact that it was open on Sunday and it was close enough to ride to with
a half-inflated tire!

SMS

Jan 9, 2011, 3:23:36 PM1/9/11
On 1/9/2011 7:32 AM, Dan O wrote:

> Which is something I wondered about tires and why they're so
> expensive: Ever seen the trucks full of racing tires at the
> racetrack? Who do you think pays for those? I realize thay're a
> small % of overall production, but I imagine they cost a lot more to
> make than the runs destined for retail. Just wondered.

Tires are an extremely high profit item for vehicles, and I imagine the
same holds true for bicycles. It's not the cost of manufacturing, it's
that they're priced at what the market will bear. My son's latest new
bicycle cost less than two high end bicycle tires, and it's not from
Wal-Mart or Target!

Chalo

Jan 9, 2011, 6:34:58 PM1/9/11
Nate Nagel wrote:

> I don't think there's too many tires available for less than $40 in any
> of the B&M stores around here.  Maybe the wire bead, non-belted Paselas,
> but just barely.  This is why I order my tires online.

That would not fly with my customers, though it is probably the case
at other local bike shops here.

We sell a lot of $12 Cheng Shin and Kenda tires; quite a few $20-22
tires like the Vittoria Zaffiro, Conti Ultra Sport, and a slew of
options from CST; and a handful of over-$40 tires like Conti
Gatorskins, Soma Everwears, and Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. Our most
popular single model in the 26" size is the CST Cyclops, which we sell
for $17 last I checked. It's an outstanding tire for the price.

Non-folding, non-Tour Guard Paselas cost $26 in my shop. We like
them, but we don't sell very many of them. Most folks want to pay
less than that, and many others want more puncture protection. It's
hard to sell them on their sweet ride alone.

Chalo

RobertH

Jan 9, 2011, 8:23:01 PM1/9/11
On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:

> If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
> then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
> regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
> hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
> (Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)
>
> BS (not)

Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
to government regulations.

AMuzi

Jan 9, 2011, 8:52:23 PM1/9/11
RobertH wrote:
> On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:
>
>> If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
>> then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
>> regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
>> hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
>> (Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

> Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
> to government regulations.

Which part of the last 30 years would you like us to expand
upon?

kolldata

Jan 9, 2011, 9:10:13 PM1/9/11

If a person or group attempted implementation of a rational
transistion from A to B,
he would be summarliy terminated. It/they don't fit into an unbalanced
economic scheme.

RobertH

Jan 9, 2011, 11:24:17 PM1/9/11
On Jan 9, 6:52 pm, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> RobertH wrote:
> > On Jan 2, 11:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:
>
> >> If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
> >> then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
> >> regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
> >> hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
> >> (Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)
> > Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
> > to government regulations.
>
> Which part of the last 30 years would you like us to expand
> upon?

Whichever part you think supports a view that energy prices have been
rising primarily due to govt. regulation.

That would be a hilarious view. Is that the view you hold, for real?

Bill Sornson

Jan 10, 2011, 12:13:46 AM1/10/11
?"RobertH" wrote in message

Imply? Hell, just come out and say it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4

(Money quote, in more ways than one: "Under my plan of a cap and trade
system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket."

HTH!

RobertH

Jan 10, 2011, 12:46:53 AM1/10/11

You do realize that no "cap and trade" legislation has been passed, no
energy bill at all has been passed, and none seems to be on the
horizon, the whole idea is basically dead, yet energy prices have been
going up for many years and continue to?

But somehow "cap and trade" is the reason that energy prices are
rising?

That is some serious indoctrination.

Bill Sornson

Jan 10, 2011, 3:18:17 AM1/10/11
?"RobertH" wrote in message

Drilling moratoria, EPA regulating carbon emissions instead of elected
representatives passing legislation, no new refineries in over 30 years,
more money per gallon of gas going to taxes than producers, distributors or
retail dealers, rules, restrictions, fees, tariffs. Even windmills and
solar stymied over transmission lines. Nah, nothing to do with guvment.

BTW, there was a huge outcry years ago when gas /approached/ $3 a gallon.
Now there's silence. Hmmmm....what could be different?!? (Same goes for
war casualties, but no one cares about them any more.)

BS (known when seen)

Anton Success

Jan 10, 2011, 5:27:31 AM1/10/11
On Jan 3, 7:03 am, Dan O <danover...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
> > daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
> > bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
> > Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
> > having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
> > the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
> > high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
> > $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
> > 26" x 1.25".
>
> $20?  With an affinity for high thread counts and Italian racing
> mystique, I had to have a pair of Vittoria's new Randoneeur Hyper at
> around $40 each.  (They felt very good under the bike, BTW.)  With
> less than a couple thousand miles on them, though, I rode over
> something nasty while wiping my glasses and ruined the rear tire :-(

Be sure to post a single star review on amazon. I read them reviews
until the first
"I had a flat in the first X00 miles", then the tire is off my
wishlist/cart.
Negative reviews are really helpful. I'm spoiled by the flat free
performance of late
on my RR2Ps (thus RR3Ps are not in the picture)

Chalo

Jan 10, 2011, 10:43:37 AM1/10/11
RobertH wrote:

> Bill Sornson wrote:

> > RobertH wrote:
> > >
> > > Your post seems to imply that energy prices are going up primarily due
> > > to government regulations.
>
> > Imply?  Hell, just come out and say it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlTxGHn4sH4
>
> > (Money quote, in more ways than one:  "Under my plan of a cap and trade
> > system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket."
>
> > HTH!
>
> You do realize that no "cap and trade" legislation has been passed, no
> energy bill at all has been passed, and none seems to be on the
> horizon, the whole idea is basically dead, yet energy prices have been
> going up for many years and continue to?
>
> But somehow "cap and trade" is the reason that energy prices are
> rising?
>
> That is some serious indoctrination.

Bill still thinks Gee-dub was awesome. He's not a rational player.

RobertH

Jan 10, 2011, 11:58:56 AM1/10/11
On Jan 10, 1:18 am, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:

> Drilling moratoria,

Number of rigs and wells in the US has risen as price has gone up.

> EPA regulating carbon emissions instead of elected
> representatives passing legislation,

Oh yearh, the EPA are real ball-busters...

> no new refineries in over 30 years,

This one always gets me. ..Bill, do you think building more chair
factories would lower the cost of wood? Why do you think building more
refineries will lower the cost of the raw material that is fed into
it? For gods sake thimk.

> more money per gallon of gas going to taxes than producers, distributors or
> retail dealers, rules, restrictions, fees, tariffs.

The average tax on a gallon of gas in the US is about 50-cent (fitty
cent), including state and federal taxes. So what the heck are you on
about. In Holland the tax is roughly 3.50 per gallon. Even Norway
taxes their fuel heavily, though, in sharp contrast to we here in the
US, they EXPORT the hell out of it.

Your narrative, which is quite common among a certain set, has no
basis in reality.

RobertH

Jan 10, 2011, 1:21:15 PM1/10/11
On Jan 10, 8:43 am, Chalo <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bill still thinks Gee-dub was awesome.  He's not a rational player.

At least GeeDub told us what he was going to do before he did it. New
guy says one thing, then does what GeeDub would have done.

Chalo

Jan 10, 2011, 1:54:23 PM1/10/11
RobertH wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > Bill still thinks Gee-dub was awesome.  He's not a rational player.
>
> At least GeeDub told us what he was going to do before he did it. New
> guy says one thing, then does what GeeDub would have done.

Yep. But in Bill's view, somehow that makes him not only a leftist,
but a socialist.

Duane Hébert

Jan 10, 2011, 2:00:07 PM1/10/11

What, like "Mission Completed" ?

Although being a NOLA boy, the "Good job Brownie" one was my favorite.
New guy at least gives the impression that he's thinking first.

AMuzi

Jan 10, 2011, 2:44:30 PM1/10/11

That's funny.

Not as funny as Crazy Uncle Joe Biden, but still.

Duane Hébert

Jan 10, 2011, 3:10:30 PM1/10/11
On 1/10/2011 2:44 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> Duane Hébert wrote:

>>> At least GeeDub told us what he was going to do before he did it. New
>>> guy says one thing, then does what GeeDub would have done.
>>
>> What, like "Mission Completed" ?
>>
>> Although being a NOLA boy, the "Good job Brownie" one was my favorite.
>> New guy at least gives the impression that he's thinking first.
>
> That's funny.
>
> Not as funny as Crazy Uncle Joe Biden, but still.

LOL. But GW's dad perfected the art of picking a running mate to take
the heat.

Well maybe you could argue that Spiro was the best at diverting
attention but it apparently didn't work out as planned in that case.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 10, 2011, 7:32:15 PM1/10/11
On 1/10/2011 1:44 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> Duane Hébert wrote:

>>> At least GeeDub told us what he was going to do before he did it. New
>>> guy says one thing, then does what GeeDub would have done.
>>
>> What, like "Mission Completed" ?
>>
>> Although being a NOLA boy, the "Good job Brownie" one was my favorite.
>> New guy at least gives the impression that he's thinking first.
>
> That's funny.
>
> Not as funny as Crazy Uncle Joe Biden, but still.

What about Crazy Uncle Joe Jughashvili from Georgia?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007

RobertH

Jan 10, 2011, 8:16:45 PM1/10/11
On Jan 10, 11:54 am, Chalo <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > At least GeeDub told us what he was going to do before he did it. New
> > guy says one thing, then does what GeeDub would have done.
>
> Yep. But in Bill's view, somehow that makes him not only a leftist,
> but a socialist.

Yes. Unfortunately it's not just the teabaggers, a whole cross-section
of society including neo-liberal buffoons seem to be completely
deluded as to what O. is really about. To them, O. is a "centrist" who
is tryin real hard to create "consensus," for the good of the nation.

RobertH

Jan 10, 2011, 8:24:11 PM1/10/11

Yes, the new regime is an order of magnitude more sneaky than the
last. but they serve the same masters.

Bill Sornson

Jan 11, 2011, 12:12:03 AM1/11/11
?

"RobertH" wrote in message

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You guys probably think the Arizona Shooter was a right-winger, too.

BS

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 11, 2011, 1:10:43 AM1/11/11
On 1/10/2011 11:12 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
> ?
> [...]

¿

Dan O

Jan 11, 2011, 1:15:20 AM1/11/11
On Jan 10, 9:12 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:
> ?

<snip>

> ... Shooter was a right-winger, too.
>
> BS

Bowling for Columbine

!Jones

Jan 11, 2011, 8:54:39 PM1/11/11
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:14:19 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech Tºm Shermªn™
°_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote:

>By any rational standard, the Democrats are a right-wing party.

OMG, how do you get away from this shit? I'm so sick of libs arguing
with consies and visa versa that I could barf. Brainless lot, all of
'em, I say!

Jones

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 11, 2011, 9:05:12 PM1/11/11

kolldata

Jan 11, 2011, 9:59:25 PM1/11/11
lets blame this one on Carmichael.

Friar Broccoli

Jan 12, 2011, 12:39:44 PM1/12/11

.

> And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
> simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
> evidence...

If anyone wants to avoid Hitler and Goebbels pejoratives, I simply
ask: name one senator who's not been bought by industry as evidence ...

AMuzi

Jan 12, 2011, 2:02:21 PM1/12/11

on what planet? elections are expensive to finagle.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 12, 2011, 2:05:42 PM1/12/11
On 1/12/2011 11:39 AM, Friar Broccoli wrote:
> [...]

> If anyone wants to avoid Hitler and Goebbels pejoratives, I simply
> ask: name one senator who's not been bought by industry as evidence ...

The few of them that have come around are gone. With the SCOTUS
defining corporations as people and corporate campaign advertising as
free speech, there will never be another, unless the system is reformed
to become a true democracy instead of a de-facto plutocracy.

Jay Beattie

Jan 12, 2011, 2:36:44 PM1/12/11
On Jan 12, 11:05 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 1/12/2011 11:39 AM, Friar Broccoli wrote:
>  > [...]
>
> > If anyone wants to avoid Hitler and Goebbels pejoratives, I simply
> > ask: name one senator who's not been bought by industry as evidence ...
>
> The few of them that have come around are gone.  With the SCOTUS
> defining corporations as people and corporate campaign advertising as
> free speech, there will never be another, unless the system is reformed
> to become a true democracy instead of a de-facto plutocracy.

The ruling also applies to trade unions, so the commies can buy their
advertising, too. The fascists and commies can hash it out for us in
their ad campaigns.

I like Pluto http://connect.in.com/disney-character-pluto/photos-1-1-1-8ac3b8798d6ee9fb11bef84e46d0c0a5.html
So I don't have a problem with a plutocracy. -- Jay Beattie.

!Jones

Jan 12, 2011, 4:19:06 PM1/12/11
Brainless idiot!

Friar Broccoli

Jan 12, 2011, 5:57:19 PM1/12/11

.

.

.

> elections are expensive to finagle.

I agree completely. Could that be why it costs a candidate for the
House of Representatives 30 times as much to run his campaign as it
does a Canadian Member of Parliament?

http://www.elections.ca/res/eim/article_search/article.asp?id=135&lang=e&frmPageSize=

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 12, 2011, 6:30:39 PM1/12/11
On 1/12/2011 1:36 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
> On Jan 12, 11:05 am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
> $southslope.net"> wrote:
>> On 1/12/2011 11:39 AM, Friar Broccoli wrote:
>> > [...]
>>
>>> If anyone wants to avoid Hitler and Goebbels pejoratives, I simply
>>> ask: name one senator who's not been bought by industry as evidence ...
>>
>> The few of them that have come around are gone. With the SCOTUS
>> defining corporations as people and corporate campaign advertising as
>> free speech, there will never be another, unless the system is reformed
>> to become a true democracy instead of a de-facto plutocracy.
>
> The ruling also applies to trade unions, so the commies can buy their
> advertising, too. The fascists and commies can hash it out for us in
> their ad campaigns.[...]

The corporations have much more money. Money = Advertising = Votes.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 12, 2011, 6:33:15 PM1/12/11
On 1/12/2011 3:19 PM, !Jones wrote:
> Brainless idiot!

What are you writing about?

Usenet includes a quoting feature.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ731aR_SBY>

Bill Sornson

Jan 12, 2011, 11:16:01 PM1/12/11
"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" wrote in message

On 1/10/2011 11:12 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:

> ?
> [...]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/11/AR2011011106068.html

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 12, 2011, 11:29:10 PM1/12/11
On 1/12/2011 10:16 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
> [...]

The leading question mark disappeared.

Bill Sornson

Jan 14, 2011, 7:09:44 PM1/14/11

On 1/12/2011 10:16 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
> [...]

> The leading question mark disappeared.

I noticed that, too. Think it's because you don't post in "plain text"?
(It's always much smaller print than nearly all others.)

Maybe I'll fool around with that on my end...but I don't think it'll fix the
funky (non) quoting issue. (I manually added the '>' to your one-line
remark, but far too lazy and forgetful to do it for lengthy posts.)

Bill "why, Mr. Gates, why?!?" S.

Bill Sornson

Jan 14, 2011, 7:27:01 PM1/14/11
"Bill Sornson" wrote in message news:4d30...@news.x-privat.org...

***

Nope. Server or whatever won't let me post in HTML, which did at least show
new text different from quoted (using a solid sidebar); the quest
continues...

BS (courtesy of MS)

kolldata

Jan 14, 2011, 8:58:49 PM1/14/11
MY OPNION IS: TIRES ARE CHEAP FOR THE VALUE AND THE VALUE/EXPENSE GOES
TO one as prices rise toward $50.
good tires makes even a Fiat smell good.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 15, 2011, 1:18:06 AM1/15/11
On 1/14/2011 6:09 PM, Bill Sornson wrote using Microsoft Windows Live
Mail 15.4.3502.922:

> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" wrote in message
>
> On 1/12/2011 10:16 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
>> [...]
>
>> The leading question mark disappeared.
>
> I noticed that, too. Think it's because you don't post in "plain text"?
> (It's always much smaller print than nearly all others.)

Unicode (UTF-8).

> Maybe I'll fool around with that on my end...but I don't think it'll fix
> the funky (non) quoting issue. (I manually added the '>' to your
> one-line remark, but far too lazy and forgetful to do it for lengthy
> posts.)
>
> Bill "why, Mr. Gates, why?!?" S.

What's the word?

THUNDERBIRD!

Mozilla Thunderbird, that is:
<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/>, and not Gallo
Thunderbird [1].

Yours for the low, low price of $0.00. Use it for just Usenet, if for
some reason you want to keep using Windows Live Mail for regular email.

[1] <http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html>. [2]

[2] How's it sold? Good and cold!

(PeteCresswell)

Jan 15, 2011, 9:55:34 AM1/15/11
Per Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net">:

>What's the word?
>
>THUNDERBIRD!

What's the price?
--
PeteCresswell

AMuzi

Jan 15, 2011, 10:58:34 AM1/15/11

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> What's the price?

Usually under $3
To select a fine establishment near you:
http://www.bumwine.com/buy.html

Alternate product from that site, "Wild Irish Rose:
Preferred "wine" to buy for women of questionable morals "

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 15, 2011, 11:14:34 AM1/15/11
On 1/15/2011 8:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Tºm Shermªn™ °_°<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net">:
>> What's the word?
>>
>> THUNDERBIRD!
>
> What's the price?

Thirty twice!

Dan O

Jan 15, 2011, 12:38:38 PM1/15/11
On Jan 14, 4:27 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" wrote in messagenews:4d30...@news.x-privat.org...
>
> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" wrote in messagenews:iglv2n$7tk$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> On 1/12/2011 10:16 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > The leading question mark disappeared.
>
> I noticed that, too. Think it's because you don't post in "plain text"?
> (It's always much smaller print than nearly all others.)
>
> Maybe I'll fool around with that on my end...but I don't think it'll fix the
> funky (non) quoting issue. (I manually added the '>' to your one-line
> remark, but far too lazy and forgetful to do it for lengthy posts.)
>
> Bill "why, Mr. Gates, why?!?" S.
>
> ***
>
> Nope. Server or whatever won't let me post in HTML, which did at least show
> new text different from quoted (using a solid sidebar); the quest
> continues...
>
> BS (courtesy of MS)

http://www.debian.org/

landotter

Jan 15, 2011, 3:55:02 PM1/15/11

I like the Meerkat flavor.

Duane Hebert

Jan 15, 2011, 5:20:49 PM1/15/11

"Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net"> wrote in message

> On 1/15/2011 8:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>> Per Tºm Shermªn™ °_°<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI$southslope.net">:
>>> What's the word?
>>>
>>> THUNDERBIRD!
>>
>> What's the price?
>
> Thirty twice!

Was just going to say "Fifty twice!"
Must have been more expensive in the crescent city.

Bill Sornson

Jan 15, 2011, 9:13:23 PM1/15/11

> Mozilla Thunderbird, that is:
> <http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/>, and not Gallo
> Thunderbird [1].

I downloaded Firefox long ago, but didn't really care for it. I'll have to
check out T'bird.

> Yours for the low, low price of $0.00. Use it for just Usenet, if for
> some reason you want to keep using Windows Live Mail for regular email.

I actually like the e-mail interface. Few quirks, but the Calendar sidebar
feature is proving useful. I'll investigate using Mozilla for Usenet only
(if I ever take the time).

Thanks.

> [2] How's it sold? Good and cold!'

High-class lowlifes USED to drink Boones Farm Strawberry Wine. But that was
38 years ago or so.

BS

Dan O

Jan 16, 2011, 12:56:55 AM1/16/11
On Jan 15, 6:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <as...@askme.net> wrote:
> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" wrote in messagenews:igre70$d6p$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Night Train for me. (The Bules Brothers being my favorite movie.)

Let me mail you a copy of Learning Red Hat with a pair of CD's inside
the covers. You start reading the book, stick in the CD, turn on the
computer, click next a bunch of times, and voila! Up-and running a
free system. Send your ship to my gmail.

Duane Hebert

Jan 16, 2011, 9:08:49 AM1/16/11
Changing your OS to get you news groups working seems radical.

Duane Hebert

Jan 16, 2011, 9:11:54 AM1/16/11
On 1/15/2011 9:13 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
> "Tºm Shermªn™ °_°" wrote in message
>
>> Mozilla Thunderbird, that is:
>> <http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/>, and not Gallo
>> Thunderbird [1].
>
> I downloaded Firefox long ago, but didn't really care for it. I'll
> have to check out T'bird.
>
>> Yours for the low, low price of $0.00. Use it for just Usenet, if
>> for some reason you want to keep using Windows Live Mail for regular
>> email.
>
> I actually like the e-mail interface. Few quirks, but the Calendar
> sidebar feature is proving useful. I'll investigate using Mozilla for
> Usenet only (if I ever take the time).
>
> Thanks.

At the office, I'm forced to use Vista, Windows Mail was so buggy that I
switched to WLM. After the latest version, I installed Thunderbird.

At home, I run XP Pro and I don't mind OE too much for email. I
installed Thunderbird for NNTP for testing but having decided which one
I like best yet.

Not too wild about Firefox. Seems much slower than IE.

Nate Nagel

Jan 16, 2011, 9:42:50 AM1/16/11

I like t'bird, I like firefox, the lightning add on has been problematic
but I think that's a problem with the official Ubuntu repositories not
any Mozilla product.

I just wish that I didn't also have to install Seamonkey (duplicating
the mail/newsreader and web browser) just to get the HTML editor, which
I also use. I know it's probably not the best tool for the job, but for
maintaining my small personal web space it's perfectly adequate... I
could probably do the editing in a text editor, but the WYSIWYG of a
real HTML editor is nice.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel

Jan 16, 2011, 9:44:57 AM1/16/11

but whatever gets people off Windows and onto anything else is a
positive step, IMHO.

Every time I think Windows couldn't get any worse, it does, meanwhile
Linux keeps getting better and better. Can't speak to MacOS as I
haven't used one in about 15 years.

landotter

Jan 16, 2011, 9:46:59 AM1/16/11

Indeed. Most of the Mac users I know suggest changing not only OS, but
hardware--and even putting a smug decal on the back of the Subaru, as
a solution to problems on computers running anything other than OSX.

Dan O

Jan 16, 2011, 1:32:12 PM1/16/11

It is, but in a good sort of way. Bill has a history of his "buggy
computer" (his words) not allowing him access to usenet. Now messing
up internet convention with their buggy beta commercial software, he
was fussing about the evil empire earlier in the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/89ac85a97c1dad1b

http://www.debian.org/

Beside, it's easy as pie to split a hard disk with something like
gparted and dual boot M$ Windblows and Debian with something like
grub. Heck, I have a very old slow laptop running RH in a VM under
Windows 2000. I think that Red Hat Book I offered to mail him even
tells you how. (I got three or four for a few bucks apiece to give
friends. ISTR it's RH 8 or so - still all free. It installs easily
and runs great in like 64 MB RAM, and comes up connected to the Web if
you have TCP/IP to a gateway. Debian, too. I mean, really, with
Google you don't hardly need anything else 98% of the time, and Debian
loads you up with state of the art internet applications - all free.

People ask me for adivce about their buggy computers. I would tell
them to stick that bootable RH 8 disk 1 in their computer, power it
up, and follow the directions (how cool that it comes with the book
Learning Red Hat). So far I only gave out one, so I'm sure there's
one around here for my good friend Bill (who really needs to see the
light :-)

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Dan O

Jan 16, 2011, 1:35:26 PM1/16/11

WYSIWYG on the monitor connected to your terminal displaying the
output of your system. When typing the code you pick the "standard".
HTML 2.0 or so isn't that tough to type out.

It is loading more messages.