Re: Want to be hit by a car while riding a bicycle? Wear a helmet!

1 view

carl...@comcast.net

Sep 11, 2006, 11:27:37 PM9/11/06

Kenny wrote:
> > Found this by way of Digg. http://tinyurl.com/m92br
>
> Forgot about this link.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/odxv3

Dear Kenny,

Thanks--interesting article technical article, so I'll shamelessly
hijack it to rec.bicycles.tech.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

carl...@comcast.net

Sep 11, 2006, 11:31:22 PM9/11/06

And here's the link to Dr. Walker's pdf, with oodles of graphs:

http://www.drianwalker.com/overtaking/overtakingprobrief.pdf

It's mentioned at the end of the other articles, but somehow I suspect
that some posters may not read that far.

CF

Ed Pirrero

Sep 11, 2006, 11:52:55 PM9/11/06

No, they'll get to the part where he says helmets are useful in
low-speed crashes, and could be a benefit for children, then dismiss
the rest out of hand.

E.P.

Chris Neary

Sep 12, 2006, 12:12:44 AM9/12/06

>>> Forgot about this link.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/odxv3
>>
>>Dear Kenny,
>>
>>Thanks--interesting article technical article, so I'll shamelessly
>>hijack it to rec.bicycles.tech.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel
>
>And here's the link to Dr. Walker's pdf, with oodles of graphs:
>
>http://www.drianwalker.com/overtaking/overtakingprobrief.pdf
>
>It's mentioned at the end of the other articles, but somehow I suspect
>that some posters may not read that far.

Interesting research, though I'd love to see the raw data rather than the
few summarized graphs provided.

I would point out that all the provided average passing distances exceed the
minimum legal distance used in some states (3 feet). It would be valuable to
see standard deviations for the various datasets to determine what portion
of the different vehicle classes failed to meet the legal standard.

The other aspect that jumps out at me is the results are apt to be
culturally influenced, so it would be unwise to expect the same results
(good or bad) elsewhere.

Chris Neary
diabl...@tcsn.net

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

jta...@nospam.hfx.andara.com

Sep 12, 2006, 6:35:45 AM9/12/06

No, they'll get to the part where it is mentioned that the article has
been accepted for publication in the journal Accident Analysis &
Prevention, and then they'll say that you can prove anything with
statistics, and that the author clearly has never ridden a bicycle,
and that if he had he most assuredly would have had an accident that
proves his study "innacurate".

landotter

Sep 12, 2006, 10:12:37 AM9/12/06

Where can I get a Bell(tm) brand Rapunzel Wig? Always looking for that
safety edge!

RonSonic

Sep 12, 2006, 10:45:46 AM9/12/06

Lucky, there ain't a wig I could wear that'd fool 'em.

Ron

ycle...@cs.com

Sep 12, 2006, 3:33:08 PM9/12/06
Some very amusing blog entries from the Guardian on topic:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2006/09/12/on_their_heads_be_it.html

It's heartening to see that civil discourse is international.

Now all I want to know is how were the measurements made.
Cheers,
MD

Chalo

Sep 12, 2006, 4:18:14 PM9/12/06
RonSonic wrote:

> Lucky, there ain't a wig I could wear that'd fool 'em.

Aye-- if drivers ever mistook me for a woman, they might be inclined to
run me over as an act of mercy.

Chalo

Wayne Pein

Sep 12, 2006, 4:28:00 PM9/12/06
He rode between 0.25 meters (10 inches; a real “gutter bunny”) and 1.25
meters (4 feet 1 inch; about the location of a typical US bike lane
stripe) from road edge. This is not sufficient distance to effect
positive change in motorists. He merely used up some of the passing
clearance that UK motorists typically afford a bicyclist riding such
distance from the side. I also would like to see his data cross
tabulated for distance from edge, passing distance, and lane width. It
would be interesting to see if his data are skewed.

I surmise that there is a tipping point at which a bicyclist uses enough
of available lane width that it compels motorists to give considerably
more clearance. That is my experience here in the US anyway.

Wayne

carl...@comcast.net

Sep 12, 2006, 4:31:47 PM9/12/06
On 12 Sep 2006 12:33:08 -0700, "ycle...@cs.com" <ycle...@cs.com>
wrote:

Dear YC,

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/691047edda1c010e

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

ycle...@cs.com

Sep 12, 2006, 4:33:57 PM9/12/06
But did he use a ruler? Laser range finder? Or just eyeball it?

RonSonic

Sep 12, 2006, 8:51:31 PM9/12/06

And risk that much damage to the vehicle?

I remember riding along on a paved trail and approaching this alarming figure
from behind. Huge bulky shoulders over bikini straps, short shorts and shaved
legs. Turned out to be a serious clydesdale tri guy with a HRM strap and a water
bottle hanging around his neck.

Ron

Marlene Blanshay

Sep 12, 2006, 10:04:26 PM9/12/06
i have noticed in the last few weeks that american drivers have a
tendency to drive VERY CLOSE to the curb. A few times I've been
practically grazed by cars passing me and noticed they were from the US.
This on a designated shared road that has millions of signs saying, "in
a hurry? Take the highway!"

it's like they have no concept of a shared road or simply begrudge
yielding any space. Other people have noticed this as well, and I've
seen it in american cities. Cars drive by like 2 inches from the
sidewalk. No wonder i hear so many horror stories from cyclists... as
bad as drivers here are, they at least give you some leeway even if they
honk or yell at you.

(PeteCresswell)

Sep 12, 2006, 11:38:29 PM9/12/06
Per Marlene Blanshay:

>i have noticed in the last few weeks that american drivers have a
>tendency to drive VERY CLOSE to the curb. A few times I've been
>practically grazed by cars passing me and noticed they were from the US.
>This on a designated shared road that has millions of signs saying, "in
>a hurry? Take the highway!"
>
> it's like they have no concept of a shared road or simply begrudge
>yielding any space. Other people have noticed this as well...

What country are you in?

One thing to bear in mind is that, as far as I know, there is no compulsory
driver training in the USA. Driving here (USA), and driving in Germany my
take is that in Germany almost everybody is playing by the same set of rules...
but here in the USA few are.

To wit, try starting a thread on the proper way to enter a controlled access
highway. The result will be a very long series of contradictory rants.
--
PeteCresswell

41

Sep 12, 2006, 11:54:38 PM9/12/06

But do you really think that guy who did wear the wig was mistaken for
a woman either? I bet when they came up behind him, it was more like,
blimey, a bloody trannie, stear clear!

Paul Hobson

Sep 13, 2006, 12:24:00 AM9/13/06

ycle...@cs.com wrote:
> But did he use a ruler? Laser range finder? Or just eyeball it?

Sonic/doppler thingamabob[1]
--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

Dane Buson

Sep 13, 2006, 8:19:37 AM9/13/06

Oh, I don't know. I'm a fairly big fellow, and I have quite a bit of
body hair, but I also have long hair. I've been on the receiving end of
a few wolf whistles from passing cars. Of course when I turned towards
them as they passed, they looked awfully sheepish.

It can be hard to pick out the smaller details when you're passing
someone in a car.

--
Dane Buson - sig...@unixbigots.org
`They didn't call him Erik Bloodaxe because he was good with children.'

swiftcycler

Sep 13, 2006, 8:25:23 AM9/13/06
I disagree with that observation totally. I find as a motorists that
Americans drive too close to the center line. I think that mainly
there are a lot of lonely people out there who both think that they own
the road and also want to let anyone coming against them that they are
willing to assert their claims. However, this would be an indication
that the driver would be male. I have also observed that many women
won't cross the yellow line even when they are endangering a pedestrian
coming against the traffic. They have this asnine view of toeing the
line, strictly adhering to the law, which can be rather annoying. I
find on these narrow country roads I ride that men in their pick-ups
will not only speed but cross the yellow lines when passing. Women
will speed but rarely cross the yellow lines even with a clear view of
the empty road ahead. However, of course there are exceptions.

ycle...@cs.com

Sep 13, 2006, 10:21:46 AM9/13/06
Thanks Carl. Although I'm somewhat disappointed. I was hoping it was
done with two insert cars fitted with theodolites.

oldhickory

Sep 13, 2006, 1:29:57 PM9/13/06
A former riding partner of mine used to ride with a 9mm shoved down the back
of his shorts, the butt of the gun exposed enough for overtaking vehicles to
see. Said it brought the near-miss rate with vehicles down considerably. I
think it was when he rode in AZ where exposed side arms were legal.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

<ycle...@cs.com> wrote in message

Espressopithecus

Sep 13, 2006, 2:24:36 PM9/13/06
In article <peXNg.831$vD2...@tornado.texas.rr.com>, inb...@yahoo.com
says...

> A former riding partner of mine used to ride with a 9mm shoved down the back
> of his shorts, the butt of the gun exposed enough for overtaking vehicles to
> see.

Too subtle for the kind of drivers I'm most worried about. It's hard
for them to see the road (let alone a cyclist, or whether that cyclist
is carrying) with the competing demands of dialing the cell phone,
drinking their Starbucks Venti and applying makeup.

Rick

Dane Buson

Sep 13, 2006, 3:12:09 PM9/13/06

Well that, and how can you possibly expect them to pay attention to the
road with all the racket the kids in the back on the SUV are making? [1]
Also it's patently unfair to expect them to share the road with scruffy
cyclists. After all, you can pick one up at Wally world for $69 bucks,
so you should make way for their $60,000 life necessity.

[1] Behind carefully tinted windows. Wouldn't want anyone to think
you're not a sexy successful single. [2]
[2] http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0212.mencimer.html

--
Dane Buson - sig...@unixbigots.org

"Why would you want to be born again? Didn't you get it right
the first time?" -Angela

* * Chas

Sep 13, 2006, 3:35:17 PM9/13/06

<carl...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Carl,

How can you apply his test results worldwide when he gathered his data
in a country where they drive on the WRONG side of the road!

Also, drivers in the UK play a lot more "who's going to blink first",
for example in round-abouts, they try to avoid eye contact.

Chas.

(PeteCresswell)

Sep 13, 2006, 4:50:49 PM9/13/06
Per Espressopithecus:

> It's hard
>for them to see the road (let alone a cyclist, or whether that cyclist
>is carrying) with the competing demands of dialing the cell phone,
>drinking their Starbucks Venti and applying makeup.

And don't forget text messaging and checking eMail....-)
--
PeteCresswell

oneup...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2006, 11:42:18 AM9/14/06
Brucie, I'd cross the yellow line to run you down.

Are you as obnoxious on this forum as yuo are everywhere else? As
usual, you disagree with someone here.

I love your alias --- it goes along with swiftsurfer, swiftsailor,
swiftprofitmaker, swiftskier, swiftmouth. How 'bout swiftidiot and
swiftmoron as your next two aliases?

Bill Sornson

Sep 14, 2006, 11:46:14 AM9/14/06
oneup...@gmail.com wrote:

> Brucie, I'd cross the yellow line to run you down.
>
> Are you as obnoxious on this forum as yuo are everywhere else? As
> usual, you disagree with someone here.
>
> I love your alias --- it goes along with swiftsurfer, swiftsailor,
> swiftprofitmaker, swiftskier, swiftmouth. How 'bout swiftidiot and
> swiftmoron as your next two aliases?

Top-posting anonymous moron makes threats while exhibiting hypocrisy at its
most ironic.

Doesn't get much better than that...

*******

> swiftcycler wrote: