Front mounted baby carriers

Frank Krygowski

Mar 14, 2012, 11:34:22 AM3/14/12
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 14, 2012, 1:33:13 PM3/14/12
On Mar 14, 11:34 am, Frank Krygowski <frkrygowREM...@gEEmail.com>
wrote:
I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
child is doing at all tmes.

Cheers.

AMuzi

Mar 14, 2012, 1:38:50 PM3/14/12
Seem to work well in that I know a few couples who bought
these in Holland and liked them.

I have no idea whether this is useful or not:
http://totcycle.com/blog/all-about-front-child-bike-seats.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Lou Holtman

Mar 14, 2012, 2:24:20 PM3/14/12
Op 14-3-2012 16:34, Frank Krygowski schreef:
That is the preferred way of carrying a young child here in the
Netherlands. Much more fun for child and (grand)parent. More interaction
with you child. Knee clearance can be a problem with short top tubes.
There are dedicated bikes just for that over here. For instance:

<http://www.moederfiets.nl/default.asp?pid=-1201&fs=114&catid=1>

Seating a child: no problem. It is easier IMO.
Age weight: I don't know 1-3?
Road bikes? Serious?

You worry too much
Lou

Frank Krygowski

Mar 14, 2012, 5:32:40 PM3/14/12
Yep. My daughter and son-in-law have road bikes. (Well, she's got a
3-speed shopping bike, but would prefer fitting it to a road bike.)

> You worry too much

?? I thought I worried less than most anybody posting here!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 14, 2012, 7:36:34 PM3/14/12
On Mar 14, 11:34 am, Frank Krygowski <frkrygowREM...@gEEmail.com>
wrote:
Hey Frank.

I just searched Wee Ride on You Tube and there are a lot of videos
showing that seat in use. Here's one but the bike doesn't appear until
about 20 seconds into the 59 second video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjLzzjx6cmM&feature=related

Hope the videos help.

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 14, 2012, 7:42:09 PM3/14/12
On Mar 14, 11:34 am, Frank Krygowski <frkrygowREM...@gEEmail.com>
wrote:
Sorry Frank.

Should type in WeeRide as one word.

Here's another video but with the seat on a hybrid bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbXFpT-N1A&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Cheers

datakoll

Mar 14, 2012, 8:52:00 PM3/14/12

datakoll

Mar 14, 2012, 8:55:41 PM3/14/12

datakoll

Mar 14, 2012, 9:04:16 PM3/14/12
a third of killed and maimed children are so done when the bike is standong still, falls over, chrushing them against the curb or under a passing cement truck.
Which is cool right ? like this happens to we older folk.
other two thirds are the usual unforeseen disasters cawsed by manufacturing defects. As long as its not your fault. I guess when yal ask little Byron if he wants to ride on Daddy's bike like what can he say ? "That's stupid" ?

When was the last time you were turned down when offering little Suzie aride on your Norton ?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&tok=ar_DRqHWSetcFYdiBVLUbw&cp=12&gs_id=91&xhr=t&q=children+injured+from++bicycle+carriers&pq=children+killed+or+injured+bicycle+carriers&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=children+injured+from++bicycle+carriers&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fb2e33546f0a907c&biw=960&bih=555

Dan O

Mar 14, 2012, 9:22:05 PM3/14/12
On Mar 14, 2:32 pm, Frank Krygowski <frkrygowREM...@gEEmail.com>
wrote:
You ascribe "worry" to people who don't bury their heads in the sand -
even if they, themselves, are not worried in the least.

datakoll

Mar 14, 2012, 9:32:09 PM3/14/12
yup a front mounted baby carrier is better than a rear because......ou prob know its the baby

A) the baby cushions impact

B) when you forget to load the baby....

C) when you hear thud whump whump with a rear carrier, you'll need to stop and check.

D) if the baby falls out from a front carrier and goes thud whump whump you'll prob know its the baby.

E) the baby cushions a frontal impact

F) with a front carrier, assessment of the baby's continuing good health is viewable as long as the baby stays in the carrier.

G) on the negative end, if the baby pukes in terror. you're in the stream.

H) if you crash, a front mounted baby is more quickly diagnosed than a rear mounted baby.

I) a front mounted baby gives better grip for those fast downhills on a loose or muddy surface.
Message has been deleted

Chalo

Mar 15, 2012, 3:26:17 AM3/15/12
Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
> bike between the rider and the handlebars?

You're talking about duct tape, right? Gene was on a similar drift
about his suspicious white van recently.

Chalo

Chalo

Mar 15, 2012, 4:13:34 AM3/15/12
From the Brooklyn Chunkathlon 2003 "Baby Rescue" event:

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/operations/chunkathalon2003brooklyn/image/hires/furrygirl.jpg

Chalo

sms88

Mar 15, 2012, 4:35:31 AM3/15/12
On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

<snip>

> I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
> them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
> big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
> should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
> that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
> lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
> trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
> child is doing at all tmes.

My next door neighbor has this one <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A>
which attaches to the stem, not the top tube.

You want to install it on a bicycle with as long of a wheelbase as
possible. He's got it on a Schwinn city bike and it's crowded. His kids
have just about outgrown it as well, it's for babies, not toddlers.

Ben Pfaff

Mar 15, 2012, 12:50:53 PM3/15/12
sms88 <scharf...@geemail.com> writes:

> On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>
>> I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
>> them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
>> big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
>> should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
>> that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
>> lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
>> trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
>> child is doing at all tmes.
>
> My next door neighbor has this one
> <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A> which attaches to the stem, not
> the top tube.

I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
least two different owners. When I ask the owners about them,
they say that they like them. (I know that it's this brand
because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

I haven't used anything like this myself.
--
"Now I have to go wash my mind out with soap."
--Derick Siddoway

Mike Causer

Mar 15, 2012, 4:17:50 PM3/15/12
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:34:22 -0400
Frank Krygowski <frkrygo...@gEEmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
> bike between the rider and the handlebars?

Answering a question you didn't ask (but this is Usenet, right?), there
is a European Standard that includes such seats, with dimensions, strength
requirements, etc. EN 14344:2004

If you want to see it but can't get a copy let me know.

Mike

Message has been deleted

Chalo

Mar 15, 2012, 6:13:08 PM3/15/12
Ben Pfaff wrote:

> sms88 writes:
> >
> > My next door neighbor has this one
> > <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A> which attaches to the stem, not
> > the top tube.
>
> I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
> least two different owners.  When I ask the owners about them,
> they say that they like them.  (I know that it's this brand
> because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
have been no complaints (and almost no sales).

Chalo

Dark Helmet

Mar 17, 2012, 12:47:01 AM3/17/12
That's kind of what I though: a childy bicycle ejection seat. How
handy.

Dan O

Mar 17, 2012, 1:27:36 AM3/17/12
On Mar 16, 9:47 pm, Dark Helmet <dark.hel...@spaceballs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
>

> <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Ben Pfaff wrote:

> >> I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
> >> least two different owners. When I ask the owners about them,
> >> they say that they like them. (I know that it's this brand
> >> because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)
>
> >My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
> >have been no complaints (and almost no sales).
>

> That's kind of what I though: a childy bicycle ejection seat. How
> handy.

I've followed this thread with some interest. My state recently
debated a bill that would have banned hauling kids in trailers - a lot
of sentiment (almost entirely from know-nothings) who felt it was too
dangerous, and there was a lot of heated passion about implying that
parents were being irresponsible and endangering their kids by
embracing a better lifestyle.

I think the top-tube mounted carrier probably is best. It makes me
think about the riding, though. Some say that I am irresponsible
riding hard, but however I ride, wherever I ride, whoever I may ride
with, all that comes into account for how my level of caution. I ride
hard, but when I do, I rely on skill and smarts to see me through. In
some circumstances, I can't push it the way I would otherwise. With a
kid in abucket on the top tube, I'd be riding super-cautiously -
probably just about as cautiously as those who say there's no
significant danger in the activity (something they seem to dismiss is
my ability to do this when circumtances call for it,a nd the fact that
I *do* do this all the time - it's just a matter of degree).

John B.

Mar 17, 2012, 7:49:30 AM3/17/12
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:27:36 -0700 (PDT), Dan O <danov...@gmail.com>
wrote:
They are fairly common over here. In fact I noticed one today. With
the common "Walmart bike" they usually result in a rather straddled
stance but the bike I saw today came down the street and executed a 90
degree turn into a gate so obviously they are still fairly
maneuverable. Most of the kids you see riding in them are at the "just
walking" stage, maybe a year old.

I also saw one chap carrying his small "just walking" kid in one arm
while driving with the other hand on the bars. I thought the spare
seat looked a safer option.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Ben Pfaff

Mar 17, 2012, 12:20:55 PM3/17/12
Dark Helmet <dark....@spaceballs.com> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
> <chalo....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ben Pfaff wrote:

>>> I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
>>> least two different owners.  When I ask the owners about them,
>>> they say that they like them.  (I know that it's this brand
>>> because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)
>>
>>My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
>>have been no complaints (and almost no sales).
>
> That's kind of what I though: a childy bicycle ejection seat. How
> handy.

When I see people with these, they are not riding at 30 mph along
El Camino Real. They are not jumping curbs and dodging traffic.
They are on my neighborhood streets riding at 10 mph.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Peter Cole

Mar 17, 2012, 1:33:44 PM3/17/12
On 3/17/2012 1:27 AM, Dan O wrote:
> On Mar 16, 9:47 pm, Dark Helmet<dark.hel...@spaceballs.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
>>

>> <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
>>> have been no complaints (and almost no sales).
>>

>> That's kind of what I though: a childy bicycle ejection seat. How
>> handy.
>
> I've followed this thread with some interest. My state recently
> debated a bill that would have banned hauling kids in trailers - a lot
> of sentiment (almost entirely from know-nothings) who felt it was too
> dangerous, and there was a lot of heated passion about implying that
> parents were being irresponsible and endangering their kids by
> embracing a better lifestyle.

My daughter started on a trailer bike at 4. We did some street cycling,
but mostly off-road, steep, rocky single track often. I took some crap
from my friends about reckless endangerment, and occasional stink-eye
from other adults we encountered. My daughter was never injured and
developed super MTB skills when she switched to her own bike at age 9.

On the other hand, I did briefly haul my son on a rear rack seat. I
hated it, it felt unsafe. I gave it away after using it only a few
times. Most of my reaction is to the age of the child, children seem so
fragile during the baby and toddler times. I'm not sure I would have
been comfortable even with a Burley style trailer.

AMuzi

Mar 17, 2012, 3:37:40 PM3/17/12
Name your poison.
The classic stamped steel Leco model was fondly called 'the
baby biter' because of it's sharp hinge points.

Tom $herman (-_-)

Mar 17, 2012, 8:54:48 PM3/17/12
Gene is still a genius!

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Tom $herman (-_-)

Mar 17, 2012, 8:55:21 PM3/17/12
The Duck rules!

Tom $herman (-_-)

Mar 17, 2012, 8:57:06 PM3/17/12
Duct tape the infant in place?

Tom $herman (-_-)

Mar 17, 2012, 8:59:35 PM3/17/12

Tom $herman (-_-)

Mar 17, 2012, 9:15:59 PM3/17/12
One can now buy a new Norton Commando: <http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/>.
Message has been deleted

Chalo

Mar 18, 2012, 3:13:03 AM3/18/12
Ŧőɱ Ƨħəɍʍɑƞ wrote:

> Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
> >
> > Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >>
> >> I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
> >> least two different owners.  When I ask the owners about them,
> >> they say that they like them.  (I know that it's this brand
> >> because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)
> >
> > My shop has those.  The sales rep calls them "baby launchers".  There
> > have been no complaints (and almost no sales).
>
> Duct tape the infant in place?

That's what I suggested a couple days ago! Obviously good solutions
are obvious, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/512fe5e8034f7681

Chalo

James

Mar 19, 2012, 11:14:02 PM3/19/12
On 15/03/12 02:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
> bike between the rider and the handlebars?

I saw a different kinda tandem last night. The child was sitting up
front, with pedals and seat appropriately configured for his size, and
the adult stoker had steering control.

Not sure how the steering linkage worked, but they were upright on two
wheels, so presumable it "worked" well enough.

Technically, there was a youngster (perhaps you wouldn't call him a
baby) between the rider and the front set of handlebars ;-)

--
JS.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 20, 2012, 12:24:21 AM3/20/12
Interesting! As Mr. Fogel can probably show, that configuration or
something similar was quite common in 1890s tandems. Back then, it
was apparently polite to let the woman be in front. Yet the strong
male had to have control.

Seems like it would have some advantages. For example, male captains
are typically taller than female stokers. So the female stoker gets
an excellent view of the captain's back. Put her in front, and in
many cases, both could see ahead. Also, the higher torque of the
captain would be better resisted by the frame if it were applied to
the rear bottom bracket.

But the couple I'm asking for isn't likely to get a custom designed
bike to carry their kid.

Oh, and speaking of stokers: Check out "Shovelin' Coal" at
www.bicyclinglife.com/NewsAndViews/BikePoetry.htm

- Frank Krygowski

James

Mar 20, 2012, 1:21:32 AM3/20/12

datakoll

Mar 20, 2012, 1:31:41 AM3/20/12
a trailer is safe(r) than front basket ok but the airborne particulate at the asphaltosphere is heavy, injurious to a kid's lungs.