Fixed Gear Pedal Question

Powaba

Dec 30, 2001, 1:11:15 AM12/30/01
Hello all...

The last couple of fixed gear threads have been particularly amusing in
terms of their "tone." I hope the following newbie question doesn't cause a
ruckus.

Here goes:

What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

Keep in mind, I am very new to fixed gear riding (I don't even have a frame
yet...sigh), and I'm interested to hear how the experts weigh in on this
topic.

Once again, thanks in advance.

David "Can't Quote Like Sheldon Brown" Warren

Tim McNamara

Dec 30, 2001, 1:40:30 AM12/30/01
"Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> writes:

> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

I like clips and straps, but that's because I like clips and straps.
Having said that, I think that for the beginner fixed gear rider
clipless pedals are the ticket. If you're using clips and straps,
you're to be trying to flip the pedal over to get your foot in while
it's moving (one foot anyway; you've probably put the other one in
while stopped). This repeats itself every time you have to take a foot
out of the pedal. If you're fluent with toe clips it's not much of a
stretch; if you grew up with clipless pedals, OTOH, then it can be a
problem. I have found that SPDs, Speedplay X/2 and Frogs work just
fine and dandy on a fixed gear.

I will modestly refer to my somewhat tongue-in-cheek article on my
first fixed gear ride, which can be found on Sheldon Brown's Web site,
for a discussion of this skill:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/mcnamara.html#cold

Tom Paterson

Dec 30, 2001, 2:46:20 AM12/30/01
>"Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> writes:

>> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
>> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

Use the pedal/shoe combo you are most comfortable with, so when you need to get
out, you can do it by reflex (fast). Probably best to equip your "fleet" with
all the same pedal/shoe. As has been pointed out in this NG inre track pedals,
there is no type/brand that is 100% foolproof--i.e., anything can let you out
at the wrong time. Use what you know, avoid the "hard right turn".
--Tom Paterson

Tony Raven

Dec 30, 2001, 4:26:13 AM12/30/01

"Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message

> Hello all...
>
> The last couple of fixed gear threads have been particularly amusing in
> terms of their "tone." I hope the following newbie question doesn't cause
> ruckus.
>
> Here goes:
>
> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

Definitely clipless. I have ridden clips and its satisfying when you can
flip the turning pedal over and slip into the clip in one movement but its
too much of a faff for general riding, especially in traffic. Clipless are
easy to get into and out of if you are used to them. For starting off its
definitely worth having them to keep you feet on the pedals in those moments
you forget you are riding a fixed.

Tony

peter.kidwell

Dec 30, 2001, 7:13:29 AM12/30/01

"Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message

I use toe clips and straps on fixed and I have never tried
clipless.
A thought just occured to me are clipless OK for holding back on
the pedals as you are tending to put force on the back location
of the pedal not the front as in normal pedaling.
I love SPD & Look on some of my non fixed bikes so I shall have
to try them on my fixed.

PK

Pete Geurds

Dec 30, 2001, 9:11:21 AM12/30/01
The bottom line is use the pedals you are most adept at getting in and out of.
Be it clips and straps or clipless of some kind.
I do get kind of tired of the clipless guys bad mouthing the old clip and strap
pedals.
If you ride clipless, fine.
If you're not good or comfortable with clips and straps doesn't mean they are a
problem for everyone.
I've seen more clipless riders flop to the pavement then have seen me do
likewise.

Pete Geurds
Douglassville, PA

Peter Cole

Dec 30, 2001, 9:31:19 AM12/30/01
"Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message
> Hello all...
>
> The last couple of fixed gear threads have been particularly amusing in
> terms of their "tone." I hope the following newbie question doesn't cause
> ruckus.
>
> Here goes:
>
> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

Clipless, definitely. When riding a fixed gear, you will encounter
(frequently) the extremes of cadence. At low cadences, you need to get the
max duty cycle, and may need to pull up. At high cadences, you need to keep
your feet on the pedals. I think both of those scenarios rule out plain
platforms. As for straps, I'd be concerned that you couldn't release in an
"over-spin" situation (not uncommon when you're learning) if the straps were
tight enough to keep the feet securely attached.

I just standardize on clipless for all my bikes/shoes, including fixed, much
easier.

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Dec 30, 2001, 9:57:45 AM12/30/01
DBWarren-<< What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...? >>

I use old, old Mavic clipless pedals(made by LOOK).
The easiest solution is to use platform pedals but you foot may slip, forward
and off and using the fixed wheel to slow you down can be tough. Toeclips can
be a bear to get into(at leats one that is, as you start moving).
I recommend a large clipless platform or speedplay would work well as they are
two sided and 'step on a bug' entry..I guess SPD as well...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl ST.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

dmgatti

Dec 30, 2001, 5:29:53 AM12/30/01
Powaba wrote:
> Here goes:
>
> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?
>
> Keep in mind, I am very new to fixed gear riding (I don't even have a frame
> yet...sigh), and I'm interested to hear how the experts weigh in on this
> topic.

Ah, you want expert advice! Well, since I've been riding
fixed for about 3 weeks, so that makes me an expert. :-)

I really like toe-clips and I have great toe-clip pedals on
all of my bikes... except the fixed gear. With toe clips,
I'm used to putting one foot in, cinching down, coasting a
little and cinching the other foot and then really taking
off. On my fixer, I found that with the constant motion of
pedals, this turned into a little game to see if I could
grab the strap fast enough as the pedal came around to cinch
it. And to see if I could get the tension right without
cutting off blood flow to my foot. And remember, I ride with
toe-clips on *every* other bike I have. So I put some old
SPD's on and they work really well. I just snap in and go.
So far I've been up to 30mph with no unexpected releases
while spinning. And no problems standing on the hills.

Straight platforms sound like a bad idea because you could
get spun off of the pedals and you can't pull up while
riding.

Theodore Heise

Dec 30, 2001, 10:39:58 AM12/30/01
On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:11:15 -0600,
Powaba <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com> wrote:

> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?
>
> Keep in mind, I am very new to fixed gear riding (I don't even have a frame
> yet...sigh), and I'm interested to hear how the experts weigh in on this
> topic.

First, I'm no expert. That said, I do have some experience--I commute
on a fixed gear, and sometimes take it out just for the fun of it.

I use clips and straps on mine for several reasons:

* I have experience with them
* it lets me commute wearing my work (dress) shoes
* I get to use the old Campy Super Leggero pedals a friend gave me

When I began it was tricky getting both feet in, even with some
experience using clips. It seems to work best for me to start with
just enough speed to stay upright--this can be surprisingly slow and
makes it easy to get the foot into the moving target.

--
Ted Heise <the...@netins.net> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Frank Cooley

Dec 30, 2001, 10:45:22 AM12/30/01
I use spd's. When I first started I was too clumsy to get into clips and
straps. Even though I use looks for my road bike, I like the spd's on the
fixed. I use MTB shoes, so I can walk around because I use the fixed on
bike paths from work a lot and it's nice to just put on the shoes and walk
through the lobby like a normal person.

Frank

Sheldon Brown

Dec 30, 2001, 11:17:12 AM12/30/01
David Warren had the unmitigated temerity to write:

> Hello all...
>
> The last couple of fixed gear threads have been particularly amusing in
> terms of their "tone." I hope the following newbie question doesn't cause a
> ruckus.

Hah! Fat chance! ;-)

> Here goes:
>
> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

I used to reccomend platform pedals (using the term in its traditional
sense.) My favorites for years were the Lyotard #23s, later the Shimano
PD-T100s. These days, there's only one choice left for platforms, the MKS
GR-9s, which are also pretty nice.

Platforms have several fixed-gear specific advantages over quill type pedals:

髭asiery entry (a BIG plus on a fixed gear.)

稗etter ground crearance.

謬he abilitiy to move your foot back and forth. I found it helpful to be
able to pull my foot back a bit and pedal more toward my toes for
high-cadence spinning, but to pedal at or behind the ball of my foot for
low-speed slogging.

I'm not convinced that this last is all that important, and for the past
several years I've been firmly in the SPD camp. SPDs beat platforms on the
first two points hands down.

I also ride with plain pedals, no retention at all. My snow bike is set up
this way, as is my old Rudge go-to-the-grocery-store clunker. I consider
riding fixed gear with plain pedals (especially if they're as sharp and
pointy as those on my Rudge) to be an advanced fixed-gear skill, and don't
recommend if for beginning fixed-gear riders.

My current advice is to use whatever pedals you are most used to and most
comfortable with. The ability to engage the pedal quickly while it is in
motion is the main issue with pedals for fixed gear use.

Sheldon " http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#platform" Brown
| Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it |
| all over, before he is born and long after he learns to use |
| sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it. |
| Keep your children short on pocket money--but long on hugs. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772, 617-244-1040 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

David L. Johnson

Dec 30, 2001, 1:17:35 PM12/30/01
Powaba wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> The last couple of fixed gear threads have been particularly amusing in
> terms of their "tone." I hope the following newbie question doesn't cause a
> ruckus.

Just wait.

> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?

I recommend you use what you use on your other bike(s). I really like Frogs,
and use them on both my road and track bikes. But use what you like.
Obviously, if you have the same pedals on all bikes, you will know how to deal
with them, and you can use the same shoes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Phil Brown

Dec 30, 2001, 1:52:13 PM12/30/01
Clipless pedals are the best thing to happen to fixed gear riding since, well,
fixed gears.
Phil Brown

A Muzi

Dec 30, 2001, 4:40:37 PM12/30/01
Powaba wrote:

> -snip-

> What type of pedals should I use on my fixed gear for urban
> commuting...straps, clipless, platforms...?
>
> Keep in mind, I am very new to fixed gear riding (I don't even have a frame
> yet...sigh), and I'm interested to hear how the experts weigh in on this
> topic.

There are no wrong answers but personally I like toeclips and straps.
Lets me use waterproof shoe covers in the slop and thick sox with heavier shoes
in the bitter cold.

Andrew "Everyone has an opinion" Muzi
--
Yellow Jersey, Ltd
http://www.yellowjersey.org

Steven Woo

Dec 30, 2001, 6:31:52 PM12/30/01
On Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:11:15 -0600, "Powaba" <dbwa...@rcnchicago.com>
wrote:

>Hello all...

I'm not an expert but I use MTB SPD's on my fixed gear because it's
generally idiot proof, I can clip in without much effort since they
are doublesided (havent' unclipped unintentionally but thats just me)
and I can walk in the shoes, barring mud to screw up re entry. Plus,
they are relatively cheap ( have a bunch of 5-10 year old ones in my
closet) and if I scrape one up I don't care.

Steven Woo

Dec 30, 2001, 6:32:02 PM12/30/01
wrote:

>Hello all...

Forgot to put this in my last post, I've used clips and straps and
it's probably my lack of coordination but screwing up a track stand at
a stop sign/light in the middle of traffic in clips and straps is
pretty embarrassing -> I've fallen and I can't get up!

Craig Brozefsky

Dec 31, 2001, 10:12:38 AM12/31/01
"peter.kidwell" <peter....@ntlworld.com> writes:

> I use toe clips and straps on fixed and I have never tried clipless.
> A thought just occured to me are clipless OK for holding back on the
> pedals as you are tending to put force on the back location of the
> pedal not the front as in normal pedaling. I love SPD & Look on
> some of my non fixed bikes so I shall have to try them on my fixed.

I am using SPDs, Rockwerks (sp?) ATB pedals with both new and worn
cleats, and have found that accelerating is more prone to result in an
unintended unclipping than resisting the pedals on my fixee.

The reason being that when I am resisting heavily with the forward
foot, where there is a lot of force pulling the pedal away from the
cleat and my shoe, my legs and feet are aligned pretty much straight
forward and do not rotate much at all. When accelerating, as my
rearward foot is pulling up, I have a tendency rotate my feet a bit if
I'm pulling hard or putting a little body english into my stroke. I
have come unclipped in this situation a few times.

The most annoying SPD incident I've had on my fixee was not a surprise
unclipping, but having one of the screws for the cleat drop out and
being unable to unclip since the cleat would just rotate. It was late
at night and I had a long ride across the city to visit with freinds
so I rode it like that for about 10 miles. The next morning I had to
do the same thing again since none of the bike shops along my route
were open.

--
Craig Brozefsky <cr...@red-bean.com>
http://www.red-bean.com/~craig