new years ride anyone in new steel lugged frame?

andre...@aol.com

Jan 1, 2011, 11:51:20 AM1/1/11
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25224248@N05/5312208279/

Its 29 in El Paso, but the sun is out.

Chalo

Jan 1, 2011, 11:38:46 PM1/1/11
andresmuro wrote:

> Its 29 in El Paso, but the sun is out.

Hot damn. Don't forget your gloves.

In the desert, I find both very hot and very cold temperatures are
more tolerable than they are when there is substantial humidity
involved.

Chalo

kolldata

Jan 2, 2011, 12:17:01 AM1/2/11

ITS COMING YOUR WAY

Yes, true on humidity.
In Fla, a place "on the water" is the only way togo caws the water
supplies a breeze.
Here at Blythe, ag not true desert, the dryness is nice but oddly the
river's humidity-I'm abt 250 yards from it, conditions the dryness
giving even more comfort-holds more heat, a regulator.
better paint the frame's ID with Rusto

Dan O

Jan 2, 2011, 1:15:19 AM1/2/11
On Jan 1, 8:38 pm, Chalo <chalo.col...@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course. Here in Eden we have right around 100% humidity a lot of
the time. People may scoff at our lows only around 20 F, but you have
to *feel* it to understand:

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG OVERNIGHT. LOWS IN
THE MID 20S. LIGHT WIND.
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG IN THE MORNING. HIGHS
35 TO 40. NORTHEAST WIND 5 TO 10 MPH.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG OVERNIGHT. LOWS
IN THE MID 20S. NORTHEAST WIND 5 TO 10 MPH IN THE EVENING THEN
LIGHT WIND.
.MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG IN THE MORNING. HIGHS
35 TO 40. NORTH WIND 5 TO 10 MPH.
.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG. LOWS IN THE
MID 20S. NORTHEAST WIND 5 TO 10 MPH IN THE EVENING THEN LIGHT WIND.
.TUESDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. PATCHY FREEZING FOG IN THE MORNING. HIGHS
AROUND 40.

andre...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2011, 10:52:11 AM1/2/11

Oh, sounds like fun. It's 23 here right now. It getting up to 41. I'll
be riding when its around 35. Sun and no wind, which is pretty nice.

andre...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2011, 10:57:20 AM1/2/11

I grew up in buenos aires. I really liked the humidity. I loved it in
the summer when everyone was suffocating. I also love it in the rain
cause it doesn't feel cold when its warm. I love running in the rain
on warm humid places. In El Paso, the rain always feels cold even if
it is warm, because the air is dry.

What the F__K?!?!?! 40-70s in Austin for the week!!!! I hate you
guys!

kolldata

Jan 2, 2011, 11:25:19 AM1/2/11

!If you are physically conditioned for the current location then you
should feel good.
On the EP rain, go with polyester clothing.

Where is the perfect weather ? and no volcano... realtively
flat....no bugs....rec op....well, those places are overpopulated
now...$$$....or no work as FLA...
I was at Laguna Seca near Monterey for a enduro race. Talking to
fencer I mentioned the wonderful weather. He told me the weather there
usually unbearable. Typical California weather comment. Local
historina tells me Spanish missionaries lived the perception eg LA or
San Juan Capistrano WAS heaven.

kolldata

Jan 2, 2011, 11:37:25 AM1/2/11

Dan O

Jan 2, 2011, 2:29:42 PM1/2/11

Good times. Ride Bike.

That freezing fog sure got me once, though - coming across the
overpass in the dark morning, in the left turn lane to the on ramp. A
car at right side waiting at stop sign to cross the overpass and enter
the on ramp, apparently decided I was just a bike and no matter,
proceeded across in front of me. I had to cut the turn sharper,
crossed big paint markings, freezing fog on paint took the wheels out
from under me right alongside the car.

Thinking back on it now, 'twas only Providence kept me out of the
papers as yet another incompetent idiot bicyclist who crashed and went
under a moving car. Surely no fault of the motorist, eh?

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jan 2, 2011, 3:31:00 PM1/2/11
On 1/2/2011 1:29 PM, Dan 0verm­ªn wrote:

> Good times. Ride Bike.
>
> That freezing fog sure got me once, though - coming across the
> overpass in the dark morning, in the left turn lane to the on ramp. A
> car at right side waiting at stop sign to cross the overpass and enter
> the on ramp, apparently decided I was just a bike and no matter,
> proceeded across in front of me. I had to cut the turn sharper,
> crossed big paint markings, freezing fog on paint took the wheels out
> from under me right alongside the car.
>
> Thinking back on it now, 'twas only Providence kept me out of the
> papers as yet another incompetent idiot bicyclist who crashed and went
> under a moving car. Surely no fault of the motorist, eh?

butbutbut, were you wearing a Magic Foam Bicycle Hat™?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

andre...@aol.com

Jan 2, 2011, 5:28:54 PM1/2/11
On Jan 2, 1:31 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net"> wrote:

> On 1/2/2011 1:29 PM, Dan 0verm n wrote:
>
> > Good times.  Ride Bike.
>
> > That freezing fog sure got me once, though - coming across the
> > overpass in the dark morning, in the left turn lane to the on ramp.  A
> > car at right side waiting at stop sign to cross the overpass and enter
> > the on ramp, apparently decided I was just a bike and no matter,
> > proceeded across in front of me.  I had to cut the turn sharper,
> > crossed big paint markings, freezing fog on paint took the wheels out
> > from under me right alongside the car.
>
> > Thinking back on it now, 'twas only Providence kept me out of the
> > papers as yet another incompetent idiot bicyclist who crashed and went
> > under a moving car.  Surely no fault of the motorist, eh?
>
> butbutbut, were you wearing a Magic Foam Bicycle Hat ?
>
> --
> T m Sherm n - 42.435731,-83.985007

> I am a vehicular cyclist.

I hit a car that turn in front of me head on. I was going downhill
probably around 25-30mph. I cracked the helmet in half and woke up
after being unconscious for 2:00 hours. Don't know if the helmet did
anything, but I am still glad I had it. Another time that I fell, I
felt the side of my head bounce on the ground pretty hard. The side of
the helmet cracked. I have no evidence that the helmet prevented
anything, but I'm still glad that I had it on. I don't care if others
don't wear helmets, nor do I preach about them. But, based on my
personal experiences of hitting hard surfaces head first, I rather
have some Styrofoam than nothing at all.

kolldata

Jan 2, 2011, 7:39:55 PM1/2/11

Joy Beeson

Jan 2, 2011, 10:18:46 PM1/2/11

I miss the New Year's Day Breakfast Ride (roll-out at 1:00 p.m.) that
I used to lead in upstate New York. There was always whole-milk
cocoa, real butter, and cinnamon sugar left over. Some years I also
made "pumpkin-pie sugar" with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

One year the guests had to make the cocoa. I'd noticed that my front
tire was in bad shape, but I was taking the bike in for an overhaul in
a few days, so I decided to let the mechanic replace it . . .

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

AMuzi

Jan 2, 2011, 10:42:17 PM1/2/11

Ride our ride for 2012:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny11.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

cyclingthings

Jan 4, 2011, 8:07:11 AM1/4/11
On Jan 1, 11:51 am, "andresm...@aol.com" <andresm...@aol.com> wrote:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25224248@N05/5312208279/
>
> Its 29 in El Paso, but the sun is out.

you got to love steel. i have many vintage steel bikes like pinarello,
masi, colnago, cinellis, guerciottis if anybody is interested

carlos
www.bikingthings.com