bottom bracket problems

1 view

rtaa

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

I hear a clunck every five or six revolutions from the bottom bracket. I'm
going to rebuild but would like any insight as to possible problems. The
pedals spin smoothly and seem fine until I put a few miles (less than five)
on the bike.

Thanks

Rick

William R. Platt

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97
to rt...@csiway.com

I, too have had my share of BB problems. Just replaced a 1982 Sugino that finally wore out. Wear
or pitting of the races, on spindle or cups, leads to sloppy tolerances (thousandths of an inch)
and eventually bearings actually crack, split, or wear into oblate shapes. Sometimees a
climactic a event that sounds like a load crak!, followed by a crunching walnut ssound eensues.
What you find are broken ball bearings. The only fix if you have wear is to replace the BB.
However, I got an extra 10 years out of mine by changing bearings and grease every 5000 miles,
until finally this year, the spindle was just too beat up, and I could't tighten the cups enough
to take out the wobble, without binding.

I replaced it with a Campy Athena, but found I damaged the spindle bolt threads removing the arm
for BB adjustment! The new Campy spindles do not have a chamfered seat for a crankk pulling
stud. You need a new puller to remove new Campy Cranks!

I would like to sell my athena--it is a nice crank, but I am very big, and it flexes more tahn I
hooped, and it puts my pedals further apart than my old crank. For many riders, this is not
objectionable.

Hope this was of help.

Bill Platt sg96...@post.drexel.edu

MikeYankee

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

For the noise, I'd also say looked for a cracked, broken or chipped ball;
or perhaps some piece of solid debris. Check the integrity and fit of
your grease guard.

Someone recommended cleaning out HEADSETS and reassembling them with
toothpaste (mild abrasive) instead of grease. Then ride about 100 miles
and overhaul he headset properly (with new balls).

Seems to me this would work on a BB except that you'd only have to ride
1-2 miles. It is worth trying on an old BB. I have a conventional Sugino
on my beater bike that is at least 10 years old and probably 25,000+
miles. Despite some slight pitting on the spindle, it is silky smooth and
trouble-free. I overhaul it every year (new balls, of course). If it
every gives me trouble I am going to try the toothpaste trick. If that
fails, I'll replace it with a cartridge BB.