broken spokes

dc

Sep 26, 2002, 10:08:51 PM9/26/02
I just had a spoke break on my rear wheel of my infamous schwinn
frontier mountain bike. I don&'t know how long it was broken but I
noticed the wheel was slightly warped when I was riding. I have been
riding 26 miles most days in order to prepare for the ms150 charity
ride.

So I brought it in to my "trusty" bike shop where they informed me
that I could pay $ 20.00 to repair the spoke or...since, in the words
of the mechanic, once one spoke goes the others will soon follow, I
could spend $ 45.00 to replace the wheel.

I am thinking what a crock. In my many decades of riding, I don't
think I ever had a spoke break.

I opted for the replacement spoke. I don't know what kind of wheel he
was going to put on my bike but I like the old one fine.

How often do spokes break? I have a feeling that this one was helped
along by one of my kids' bikes' pedals smashing into it.

david

Sep 26, 2002, 11:31:37 PM9/26/02
$20 FOR A SPOKE! ?
now that was way overcharged. Go back there and get atleast $10 back.
The spoke most likily is $.50, and to install a spoke and retrue
depending on servitiy is $10.
I have yet to come across, if that idea is correct. I have had people
tell me that before also.

David

"dc" <the1eave...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

kh6...@pe.net

Sep 27, 2002, 12:44:44 AM9/27/02
david <gte...@prism.gatech.edu> wrote:
: $20 FOR A SPOKE! ?

: now that was way overcharged. Go back there and get atleast $10 back.
: The spoke most likily is $.50, and to install a spoke and retrue
: depending on servitiy is $10.

It may be a little high priced, but not an overcharge. The high price of
wheel repair by pros is good incentive to learn how to do it yourself.

:> of the mechanic, once one spoke goes the others will soon follow, I

:> could spend $ 45.00 to replace the wheel.
:>
:> I am thinking what a crock. In my many decades of riding, I don't
:> think I ever had a spoke break.

When the second spoke breaks you may be convinced that changing all the
spokes would be a good thing. I would.

Bob Masse' kh6...@PE.NET

Keith

Sep 27, 2002, 5:49:14 AM9/27/02
I had a couple of spokes break last January (my first ever also) and over
the course of the next few months I went through half the spokes on my back
wheel.
I replaced them, one at a time, with the intention of rebuilding my wheel
this winter.
I haven't had any break for quite a few weeks now( about 2000 miles) but I
still am going to rebuild the wheel as I want the experience.
I do know others who have had my experience.
Keith
PS Changing a spoke wasn't a biggy, just had to get the correct freewheel
tool.

Doug Huffman

Sep 27, 2002, 7:20:54 AM9/27/02
Read, understand and practice the technology of Jobst Brandt's The Bicycle
Wheel pub'd by Avocet of PaloAlto, CA.

Harris

Sep 27, 2002, 8:07:49 AM9/27/02

"dc" wrote:
> I just had a spoke break on my rear wheel of my infamous schwinn
>
> So I brought it in to my "trusty" bike shop where they informed me
> that I could pay $ 20.00 to repair the spoke or...since, in the words
> of the mechanic, once one spoke goes the others will soon follow, I
> could spend $ 45.00 to replace the wheel.
>
> I opted for the replacement spoke. I don't know what kind of wheel he
> was going to put on my bike but I like the old one fine.
>
> How often do spokes break? I have a feeling that this one was helped
> along by one of my kids' bikes' pedals smashing into it.

The $20 price is not extreme IF they did more than just replace the spoke.
They should have checked the tension of all spokes, trued, and stress
relieved. If other spokes are close to failing, stress relieving would
likely weed them out.

Replacing the wheel with a $45 machine built wheel probably isn't the
geatest idea either. If you continue to break spokes (and the rim and hub
are OK), I would just rebuild the wheel with all new stainless steel, butted
spokes. Be sure the wheels are properly tensioned and stress relieved.

Art Harris

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Sep 27, 2002, 9:15:13 AM9/27/02
david-<< $20 FOR A SPOKE! ?

now that was way overcharged. Go back there and get atleast $10 back. >>

<< The spoke most likily is $.50, and to install a spoke and retrue
depending on servitiy is $10. >>

For the rear, removing the tire/tube, taking off the cogs, replacing the
spokes, 'properly' tensioning the wheel, dishing, truing, rounding...About
$15-$20 is about right for a job well done.

If the knucklehead used the old nipp, kept the tire on and just messed with it,
even $10 is too much.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl ST.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Peter Cole

Sep 27, 2002, 10:57:59 AM9/27/02
"dc" <the1eave...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Look up the rec.bicycles FAQ, read the sections on wheels & spokes & you'll
have a better understanding of things.

bran.eve...@sk.sympatico.ca

Sep 27, 2002, 11:17:32 AM9/27/02
kh6...@pe.net spake thusly on or about Fri, 27 Sep 2002 04:44:44 UTC

-> When the second spoke breaks you may be convinced that changing all ->the spokes would be a good thing. I would.

Rule of thumb I have used is if i break one and remember the last two
breaks clearly its time for a rebuild. I may have to reconsider this as my
memory fades.

--
bran.eve...@sk.sympatico.ca

g.daniels

Sep 27, 2002, 11:40:39 AM9/27/02
******Try killing a , sprinkle blood over the hub chicken (squeeze
chicken from bottom to neck several times) then dance counterclockwise
holding a new bag of spokes and some lube for the hub. This could be
done to music, something from the '90's?

Jon Isaacs

Sep 27, 2002, 11:54:19 AM9/27/02
It is possible that you will continue to break spokes. Your spokes may have
broken because fatigue cracks which have been slowly growing final reached the
critical point and the spoke failed. If the wheel was not properly stress
relieved when built, it is certainly possible that soon other spokes will begin
to fail.

If that begins to happen, it will be necessary to either buy a new wheel or
rebuild this wheel. If rim and hub are in reasonable condition, then
rebuilding the wheel with stainless steel spokes is probably the best way to
go.

If the bearings are in poor shape or the rim has problems then a new wheel is
likely your best bet.

However, that $45 wheel is not likely to be the sort of wheel designed to be
ridden 25 miles a day or ridden on your 150 mile ride. If the shop did indeed
take the time to properly tension the wheel and stress relieve the wheel it
could provide good service, though the bearings are probably of marginal
quality.

It is possible to build or retension the wheel yourself, either by reading
Jobst's book "the Bicycle Wheel" or by following Sheldon Brown's instructions
at www.sheldonbrown.com.

Good wheels are the single biggest factor in making a bike reliable and trouble
free.

jon isaacs

Mike Jacoubowsky

Sep 27, 2002, 1:11:12 PM9/27/02
My rule of thumb is that it's OK to replace a couple of randomly-broken
spokes in a wheel (spokes with no evidence of impact etc) but when you get
to #3, you can assume that you're heading for one spoke failure after
another. Since you're preparing for a major ride, could be the shop judged
the condition of your wheel and figured you'd be best off not taking the
chance and going for a new one.

$20 isn't unreasonable at all for replacing a broken spoke and truing the
wheel in most cases. There's a fair amount of time spent in removing tire,
tube, rimstrip and freehweel/cassette, replacing the spoke, bringing it to
tension and then truing the wheel (and subsequently reinstalling
everything). It could easily run $20 in time to simply retension and true
a rear wheel that's not in very good shape. Plus, they're probably going to
touch up the rear shifting a bit because, even if you didn't ask to have it
done, you can't believe the number of people who would claim that everything
on their bike was working perfectly until they brought it in for some minor
thing (with the list of things that no longer work correctly including
things that are not even remotely touched while doing the servicing).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

dc

Sep 27, 2002, 1:46:31 PM9/27/02
>$20 FOR A SPOKE! ?
>now that was way overcharged. Go back there and get atleast $10 back.
>The spoke most likily is $.50, and to install a spoke and retrue
>depending on servitiy is $10.
>I have yet to come across, if that idea is correct. I have had people
>tell me that before also.

>David

My thoughts exactly... But I did have a 20% off coupon for service
from that bike shop issued by the ms150 organization. So I ended
paying $16.00. It didn't seem as bad.

>When the second spoke breaks you may be convinced that changing all

the
>spokes would be a good thing. I would.

>Bob Masse'

Yeah, I took a gamble. I hope that it doesn't happen. My main concern
was that the shop would put on an inferior back wheel as a
replacement. As I have said in the past, I don't know that much about
bike repair.

>I had a couple of spokes break last January (my first ever also) and
over
>the course of the next few months I went through half the spokes on
my back
>wheel.
>I replaced them, one at a time, with the intention of rebuilding my
wheel
>this winter.
>I haven't had any break for quite a few weeks now( about 2000 miles)
but I
>still am going to rebuild the wheel as I want the experience.
>I do know others who have had my experience.
>Keith
>PS Changing a spoke wasn't a biggy, just had to get the correct
freewheel
>tool.

Sheesh..I hope my wheel doesn't go popping spokes now. I don't have
any spoke wrenches or tools nor do I have any experience balancing a
wheel. Since I wanted to get the bike back as soon as possible so I
could continue riding, I thought that a profession installation would
be best. I guess I wimped out on that. But next time, I promise to try
it myself.

Thanks

Deb C

Paul Kopit

Sep 27, 2002, 2:55:22 PM9/27/02
If it costs $35 to build a wheel from components, how can $20 be
justified for a single spoke?

On 27 Sep 2002 13:15:13 GMT, vecc...@aol.com (Qui si parla

Bill Lloyd

Sep 27, 2002, 4:30:41 PM9/27/02
He told you why.

Building the new wheel doesn't have to remove the tire, rim strip, cogs,
etc.

If it's a drive-side spoke on the rear and you replace the nipple, the whole
process can easly take 20 minutes. If the shop has any kind of "minimum
labor" rates (this isn't uncommon) then it could certainly be 15 or 30
minutes labor.

You expect it to be $5.00, then fix it yourself. It's what I do.

-B

"Paul Kopit" <p.k...@verizon.net> wrote in message

A Muzi

Sep 27, 2002, 8:29:28 PM9/27/02
> On 27 Sep 2002 13:15:13 GMT, vecc...@aol.com (Qui si parla
> Campagnolo) wrote:
>
> >For the rear, removing the tire/tube, taking off the cogs, replacing the
> >spokes, 'properly' tensioning the wheel, dishing, truing,
rounding...About
> >$15-$20 is about right for a job well done.
> >
> >If the knucklehead used the old nipp, kept the tire on and just messed
with it,
> >even $10 is too much.

"Paul Kopit" <p.k...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> If it costs $35 to build a wheel from components, how can $20 be
> justified for a single spoke?

Because adjusting the hub bearing, removing and remounting the tire and the
freewheel/cassette, lubricating the nipples, getting a reasonable tension,
making the wheel true and round, removing the dents and checking the brake
and gear systems afterwards takes that much time. Hard to get out of that
for less than $15 worth of shop time. It is usually about half as long as
the time required to build a good wheel.

And yes I can sneak a spoke into a cruiser with the old nipple and the wheel
still in the bike, touch up the rim and be happy with a couple of dollars.
Different expectations on the customer side, too.
--
Andrew Muzi
http://www.yellowjersey.org

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Sep 28, 2002, 9:17:25 AM9/28/02
paul-<< If it costs $35 to build a wheel from components, how can $20 be

justified for a single spoke? >>

We charge $40 and like car repair, it's based on time and the hourly rate.

Does it take 30 minutes to change a spoke in a rear wheel, completely-sure .
How long does it take to build a wheel after laying out the spokes and hub.
About 45 minutes...