SRAM 5.0 and XT shifter

Paul Keating

May 10, 2002, 1:11:51 PM5/10/02
Hey folks.

I recently bought a set of used Deore XT shifter/brake lever pods from
a buddy who upgraded to disk brakes....to replace my SRAM Gripshift
shifters.

My bike is a 99 Fisher Marlin with SRAM 5.0 rear derailleur and Alivo
front. I put the shifters on yesterday....the front 3 position front
shifter shifts like magic....much better than the old gripshift that
had about 9 detents, but the rear is causing me problems.

the new and old shifters are both 8 speed, and the rear cassette is
8-speed.
I can adjust the cable a little tight and only get the lower 6 gears
or adjust it loose and get the higher 6 gears.....and the 8 selections
on the shifter don't match well with the 6 cogs it's spanning on the
rear.

SO....my question is this....
do I need a new cassette with narrower spacing between the cogs
(probably requiring a narroer chain and replacing the front
chainrings) or is the problem that the range of the shimano shifter
isn't matching the actuation ratio of the SRAM deraileur and I need a
Shimano derailleur to match the shifter....the derailleur has "1:1
actuation ratio" marked on it, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul

Mike Jacoubowsky

May 10, 2002, 3:57:01 PM5/10/02
SRAM odd-numbered gear systems cannot be interchanged with Shimano rear
derailleurs. It's a special setup that pulls considerably more cable per
click than a Shimano derailleur wants to see. Even-numbered SRAM gear
systems are fully Shimano compatible. Please note that, as you found out
already, this applies only to the rear derailleur. SRAM front shift systems
are fully compatible with Shimano front derailleurs.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReaction.com

"Paul Keating" <p...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

May 10, 2002, 4:49:31 PM5/10/02
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> SRAM odd-numbered gear systems cannot be interchanged with Shimano rear
> derailleurs. It's a special setup that pulls considerably more cable per
> click than a Shimano derailleur wants to see.

True so far. Sram has its proprietary ESP system where 1 mm of cable
pulled equals 1 mm of derallieur cage lateral movement. In Shimano this
ratio is about 0.6.

> Even-numbered SRAM gear
> systems are fully Shimano compatible.

It was true some years ago. Today Sram offers 4.0 derailleur (ESP),
which is doesn't work well with Shimano shifters. After buying Sachs,
Sram produce(d?) derailleur line that was Shimano compatible. They were
(from the cheapest): Centera, Neos, Quartz, Plasma.

--
Pozdrawiam!
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

Bluto

May 10, 2002, 8:06:10 PM5/10/02
p...@rogers.com (Paul Keating) wrote:

> I recently bought a set of used Deore XT shifter/brake lever pods from
> a buddy who upgraded to disk brakes....to replace my SRAM Gripshift
> shifters.
>
> My bike is a 99 Fisher Marlin with SRAM 5.0 rear derailleur and Alivo
> front. I put the shifters on yesterday....the front 3 position front
> shifter shifts like magic....much better than the old gripshift that
> had about 9 detents, but the rear is causing me problems.

The SRAM rear derailleur is designed to work only with its dedicated
shifter. The system will work fine with a Shimano rear derailleur, or
with a SRAM Plasma/Quarz/Neos derailleur, but otherwise you're limited
to a SRAM shifter with cable pull matching your current derailleur.

Other incompatible shifter & derailleur combinations can often be
coaxed into working by modifying the cable attachment point, but in
this case the ratios are dramatically different, and I doubt they can
be made to work together at all.

Chalo Colina

Jamie

May 11, 2002, 10:18:17 AM5/11/02