Cooler Helmet?

Samatha

Apr 24, 2006, 11:27:11 AM4/24/06
In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
exhaustion quite so quickly?

JeffWills

Apr 24, 2006, 11:39:56 AM4/24/06

More expensive helmets generally have more, larger vents. It would be
helpful to know what kind of helmet you have now.

Also, I find that wearing a cotton bandana under my helmet helps keep
my head cool. Wetting the bandana down periodically helps even more.

Jeff

Samatha

Apr 24, 2006, 11:55:25 AM4/24/06
I think what I have now is a Giro Eclipse. I haven't been really happy
with it; it's only three weeks old and the rear adjustment wheel slips
out instead of holding tight enough to keep the helmet from sliding
back too far. I am considering taking it back to the bike shop to see
if they'd do a swap for something better with me.

Samatha

POHB

Apr 24, 2006, 12:04:25 PM4/24/06
"Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote

How about one of these?
http://www.villagehatshop.com/pith_helmet.html

russell...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2006, 12:10:16 PM4/24/06

As already mentioned, more expensive helmets usually have more and
bigger vents to let in the air. And are generally lighter in weight.
I've never been fond of Giro's Roc Loc systems. They attach to the
inside of the helmet with velcro. So when you squash the helmet down
onto your head or over a headband or bandana, the velcro comes loose
and the helmet is not tight and can easily be pushed back. I like
Bell's GPS system as found in their Sweep, Ghisallo, Alchera, Delirium
models. Its mechanically attached to the inside of the helmet and will
not come loose like the Giro Roc Loc velcro attachments. Other helmet
makers may or may not use velcro to attach the rear sizing system to
the inside of the helmet. Find one that does not use velcro and fits
your head shape.

Samatha

Apr 24, 2006, 12:30:38 PM4/24/06
Thank you; I'll go check those brands out to see if I can find
something better. As for cost, well, I only have one head, and it's not
replaceable, so spending some cash to make it safer is okay by me. If I
can be safer and not drop over from heat exhaustion, so much the
better.

Samatha

Michael Press

Apr 24, 2006, 12:43:25 PM4/24/06
In article
<1145892431....@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Must ... resist ... must ... resist

--
Michael Press

russell...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2006, 12:45:07 PM4/24/06

I like Bell because its helmet shape fits my head best. Giro fits sort
of OK too. Limar does not fit me well. Other brands I've tried fit or
did not fit. I'm not really suggesting a particular brand of helmet.
Just look for one that has the rear sizing system attached to the
inside of the helmet securely. Not velcro. You want it to stay in
place when you shove your helmet down over headbands, bandanas, etc.
And generally the more expensive helmets have more vents and are
lighter. So they should be cooler. But I'm sure there is some sort of
venting and wind flow principles involved that might allow big vent
helmets to actually be hotter than closed up helmets with minimal
vents.

You can almost always find an older model of a very high end helmet for
about the same cost as a current cheap helmet model. So price isn't
really a factor. Unless you have to have the newest style. Nashbar
has last year's Bell Ghisallo helmets for $40 before using a 10%
discount coupon. Size small only and limited colors. But there are
other sales, closeouts, etc.

G.T.

Apr 24, 2006, 12:48:41 PM4/24/06
Samatha wrote:
> In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
> plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it.

Need to know your current helmet. I have a basic Bell and have never
even noticed it when riding in 105 degree temps.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T.

Apr 24, 2006, 12:52:21 PM4/24/06

She should just ride without one when it's hot, or when it's cold, or
when it's in between. Helmets do nothing except protect one from minor
injuries such as cuts and bruises.

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 1:01:06 PM4/24/06
G.T. wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article
>> <1145892431....@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> "Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
>>> plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
>>> recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
>>> exhaustion quite so quickly?
>>

>> Must ... resist ... must ... resist
>>

> She should just ride without one when it's hot, or when it's cold, or
> when it's in between. Helmets do nothing except protect one from
> minor injuries such as cuts and bruises.

I don't recall ever seeing you ride without one.

Bill "enfant provocateur" S.

Pat Lamb

Apr 24, 2006, 1:04:58 PM4/24/06

Get a white one:
http://tinyurl.com/z36ad

sp...@sucks.com

Apr 24, 2006, 1:16:56 PM4/24/06
Samatha <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think what I have now is a Giro Eclipse.

The next models up have a better Roc Loc system and bigger vents. I just
got a white Atmos...don't think it's possible to get anything cooler.
It's pricey but comes with a carrying case.

Helmet fit is the first criteria. After that ventilation, then color.
Spending more doesn't increase protection, just comfort.

Hank Wirtz

Apr 24, 2006, 1:21:45 PM4/24/06

"POHB" <newswit...@hayward.uk.net> wrote in message

If you were to ride wearing one of those, I think you'd have to claim the
route you're riding as a Colony of the Crown.

Samatha

Apr 24, 2006, 1:39:54 PM4/24/06
It's a Giro Eclipse cheapie model (that was still $38 not well spent);
I went home and checked at lunch after posting up above that I thought
it was this model.

Samatha

russell...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2006, 2:42:17 PM4/24/06

Clarence Pickard wore a pith helmet in 1973 on the first RAGBRAI.

http://www.ragbrai.org/ragbrai-history.html

Among the many interesting people the ride attracted was Clarence
Pickard of Indianola. This 83-year-old gentleman, who hadn't ridden a
bicycle much in recent years, showed up for that first ride with a used
ladies Schwinn and rode all the way to Davenport, including the 100
degree plus day from Des Moines to Williamsburg, a 110-mile trek.
Pickard's attire for the ride was a long-sleeved shirt, trousers,
woolen long underwear and a silver pith helmet.

frkr...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2006, 4:04:30 PM4/24/06

sp...@sucks.com wrote:

> Helmet fit is the first criteria. After that ventilation, then color.
> Spending more doesn't increase protection, just comfort.

Right. In fact, spending more almost always gets you _less_
protection. More holes, less styrofoam, less impact protection. The
most expensive helmets are the ones that barely pass the already low
certification standards.

Not that the advertisements will ever make _that_ clear!

- Frank Krygowski

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 4:28:10 PM4/24/06

Not to mention the fact that "more holes" doesn't necessarily equate to
better ventilation when actually riding (i.e., when there is actual
airflow). Nor does it necessarily equate to lighter weight (styrofoam
is pretty darn light, and the high-end, minimalist helmets are
necessarilly reinforced with heavier materials for structural reasons).

Helmets have become a fashion statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
ride?". And a conspicuous consumption issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
did yours cost?".

IMO, spending close to $200 for a styrofoam and thin plastic shell
bucket that costs ~$10-15 (at most!) to manufacture and package is the
height of consumer suckerism.

IMO, YMMV (especially if you bought a "high-end" helmet ;-> ), etc.,
etc., etc.

mrbubl

Apr 24, 2006, 4:34:27 PM4/24/06
atmos or pneumo, have both with a coolmax headwrap in Texas too. very
good but more $$$$

Rik O'Shea

Apr 24, 2006, 4:46:53 PM4/24/06

I had a Specialized and used to get a bit of a hot head when racing. I
changed it for the top of the range Giro Atmos - expensive but lot of
vents, good air flow, very cool.

G.T.

Apr 24, 2006, 4:46:11 PM4/24/06

"Sorni" <soryousucknyour...@san.rr.com> wrote in message

That's cuz we haven't ridden on the road. Yet. I hit too many low bridges
off-road so wear a helmet.

Sometimes I take hand held photos while riding one handed off-road with no
helmet:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/2002trip/ugly_mug1.jpg

Greg

data...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2006, 6:13:32 PM4/24/06
experiment with louvered aluminum foil/mylar held off the helmet
surface.
try sitting under cardboard with foil on the cardboard's sunside

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 6:24:04 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>Helmets have become a fashion statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
>ride?". And a conspicuous consumption issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>did yours cost?".

You are so obsessed with money and marketing it's remarkable.

Have you honestly heard people comparing helmet prices in a way that
shows off how much they spent? Honestly? If you have, you're hanging
around with the wrong people.

>IMO, spending close to $200 for a styrofoam and thin plastic shell
>bucket that costs ~$10-15 (at most!) to manufacture and package is the
>height of consumer suckerism.

I've got a couple helmets that retail for over $100 and one that
retails for $40. The former is way way better than the latter in
terms of adjustablilty and ventilation. The cheap one doesn't fit so
well, or at least can't as easily be changed to deal with hats, etc.
It is warmer, and *perhaps* sturdier (it's got more material, so I'm
just guessing on the sturdiness). Other than that, it's worse.

But I'm a sucker.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 6:26:59 PM4/24/06

What about lettuce?

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 6:20:23 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

<snipped>

-on consumer suckerism-

> But I'm a sucker.

You just can't resist, can you?

I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?

Or would you like to have another go? You decide.

Zilla

Apr 24, 2006, 7:52:41 PM4/24/06
"Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Generally, more expensive helmets are not necessarily
"safer" than less expensive ones. ALL helmets have to
meet a safety standard regardless of price. You pay for
looks and comfort as you spend more as others have
pointed out.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 8:03:09 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:23 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
><snipped>
>
>-on consumer suckerism-
>>
>> But I'm a sucker.
>>

>You just can't resist, can you?
>
>I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?

I don't understand what you mean.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 8:06:29 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

> And a conspicuous consumption
> issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
> did yours cost?".

Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 8:05:59 PM4/24/06

Dude, he was totally respectful and civil. "Can't you reciprocate?"

(PeteCresswell)

Apr 24, 2006, 8:06:12 PM4/24/06
Per data...@yahoo.com:

>experiment with louvered aluminum foil/mylar held off the helmet
>surface.
>try sitting under cardboard with foil on the cardboard's sunside

Kind of like those vehicles in very hot climates where they have an outer roof
standing off the real roof by an inch or two...
--
PeteCresswell

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 8:07:07 PM4/24/06
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:13:32 -0700, data...@yahoo.com wrote:

>> experiment with louvered aluminum foil/mylar held off the helmet
>> surface.
>> try sitting under cardboard with foil on the cardboard's sunside

> What about lettuce?

Five bucks, max.

Jeff Starr

Apr 24, 2006, 8:15:30 PM4/24/06

Are you sure that it is the Eclipse model? Does it say it on the
helmet, or just the box?

The new Eclipse retails for, I believe $75, and when it was the second
best below the Pneumo, it retailed for $100.

Now in road models the Giro Atmos is the top of the line, with the
Pneumo second.

Both the Atmos and Pneumo have some sort of cage construction that
does give them better protection in spite of their lightness and many
vents.

Either you got a super deal at $38, or you have adifferent, basic
model. We don't have quite the temps you do, but on the hottest days
that I have ridden, my helmet was not an issue.

I own three Giro helmets a Pneumo, an Eclipse, and a Stelvio. I bought
the Stelvio first, now that was a lower priced model. I went up to the
Eclipse, bought on sale, to lower wind noise, and better comfort. I
bought the Pneumo about a year and a half ago, because I wanted a
tighter fit. When I bought my Eclipse, it was when they still only had
two sizes S/M or L. The Pneumo comes in a least three sizes. I now
use the Eclipse when I need to wear any kind of ear or head covering.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 8:36:35 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>
> > And a conspicuous consumption
> > issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
> > did yours cost?".
>
> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?

Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 8:38:14 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:23 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> ><snipped>
> >
> >-on consumer suckerism-
> >>
> >> But I'm a sucker.
> >>

> >You just can't resist, can you?
> >
> >I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?
>
> I don't understand what you mean.

Given your two digit IQ, I'm not surprised.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 8:51:39 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:36:35 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
>> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And a conspicuous consumption
>> > issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>> > did yours cost?".
>>
>> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
>> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?
>>

>Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?

I asked a simple question. I've never seen/heard someone acting the
way you describe, and given your seeming obsession with people
spending too much money and with things that are heavily marketed,
it's seems to me to be likely that you are exagerating or making the
story up.

But rather than say that earlier, I just asked about it, to give you a
chance to say something like "Well, I was sort of exagerrating to
demonstrate a point." Or maybe what you heard/describe actually
happened. If so, it's wild stuff. But I don't know if it's true or
something you're just making up, so that's why I asked about it.

So again, have you really heard someone bragging about their helmet
costing a lot, as if that's a good thing?

It's a simple question. If the answer is yes, I'd love to hear more
about who/where, but for now I'd just like an answer to the question.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 8:55:02 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:38:14 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:23 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
>> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>>

>> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> >
>> ><snipped>
>> >
>> >-on consumer suckerism-

>> >You just can't resist, can you?
>> >
>> >I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean.
>
>Given your two digit IQ, I'm not surprised.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. What are you asking me to do when you say
"can't you reciprocate? And what is "my stuff"?

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 8:46:14 PM4/24/06

Oh, really? By saying that I am "obsessed", "deluded", "a liar",
"deceptive", etc., whenever I express an opinion contrary to his?

Tell ya what, if you treat me with the same resprct Tomlinson does,
I'll do the same to you, Sorni.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 8:56:41 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:36:35 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
>> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And a conspicuous consumption
>> > issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>> > did yours cost?".
>>
>> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
>> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?
>>

>Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?

I think I've been very straightforward in this thread -- there is no
pretending on my part. And I don't think what I've said is lame. I've
just asked you some questions.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 8:52:44 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 17:36:35 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
> >> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?
> >>

> >Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?
>
> I asked a simple question.

No, I think you are playing a kind of Usenet stalking game. You do this
whenever I espress an opinion you oppose. Kinda like the Beam/Brandt
thing. Fair warning: two can play and I am better at that kind of thing
than are you.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 8:56:30 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 17:36:35 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
> >> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?
> >>

> >Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?
>
> I think I've been very straightforward in this thread -- there is no
> pretending on my part. And I don't think what I've said is lame. I've
> just asked you some questions.

Sure, right after the opening comments about being obsessed, etc. You
are the worst kind of coward: making a comment/accusation and then
failing to stand behind it.

IOW, you are full of shit.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 9:07:14 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:46:14 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>Sorni wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>> > John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> >
>> > <snipped>
>> >
>> > -on consumer suckerism-

>> > You just can't resist, can you?
>> >
>> > I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?
>> >
>> > Or would you like to have another go? You decide.
>>
>> Dude, he was totally respectful and civil. "Can't you reciprocate?"
>

>Oh, really? By saying that I am "obsessed", "deluded", "a liar",
>"deceptive", etc., whenever I express an opinion contrary to his?

In this thread, I only used the word obsessed and none of the others
you mention, and I think Sorni was only commenting on that.

That said, it's remarkable how you so often drag Lance Armstrong and
marketing into discussions of cycling products. It really seems like
an obsession. We're just talking about helmets. No one said "Buy
what Lance rides." Some people have said that more expensive helmets
tend to have more ventilation, and other people said that's not always
true. That's a normal discussion. Dragging Lance Armstrong in is odd.
You keep bringing heavy marketing up. It's strange.

b...@mambo.ucolick.org

Apr 24, 2006, 9:01:47 PM4/24/06
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:13:32 -0700, data...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >experiment with louvered aluminum foil/mylar held off the helmet
> >surface.
> >try sitting under cardboard with foil on the cardboard's sunside
>
> What about lettuce?

It always wilts after you line your helmet with it, even if you
wrap it (the lettuce) in tinfoil. Then it's no good to put on your
sandwich at the lunch stop. OTOH, if you wrap the _helmet_
in tinfoil, it keeps away harmful Mind Control Rays.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 9:15:17 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:56:30 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

I do stand behind it -- I think you're obsessed with money and
marketing -- you bring them up very often. Sorry if i did not repeat
that in every post I make to you. But I do think it a lot and say it
often.

I hope that is straightforward enough.

>IOW, you are full of shit.

And I am serious about my question -- have you actually heard people
bragging about spending a lot of money on a helmet?

I am genuinely curious about that, and about the circumstances.

If it is true, can you at least say "yes I have"?

Michael Press

Apr 24, 2006, 9:05:14 PM4/24/06
In article <HJd3g.8925$543....@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
"Sorni" <soryousucknyour...@san.rr.com>
wrote:

You grasped the wrong end of the stick. OB posted a reply
to the OP. JT attacked OB. Game on. Try to keep keep up.

--
Michael Press

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:07:15 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 17:46:14 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >Sorni wrote:

> >> Dude, he was totally respectful and civil. "Can't you reciprocate?"
> >

> >Oh, really? By saying that I am "obsessed", "deluded", "a liar",
> >"deceptive", etc., whenever I express an opinion contrary to his?

So you stipulate to using the other terms in the past, in other
threads, when I have espressed opinions with which you differ?

No snipping, Tomlinson....the Google record stands to prove the truth.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:17:00 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 17:56:30 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think I've been very straightforward in this thread -- there is no
> >> pretending on my part. And I don't think what I've said is lame. I've
> >> just asked you some questions.
> >>

> >Sure, right after the opening comments about being obsessed, etc. You
> >are the worst kind of coward: making a comment/accusation and then
> >failing to stand behind it.
>
> I do stand behind it -- I think you're obsessed with money and
> marketing -- you bring them up very often.

I have opinions, Tomlinson. I'm not asking you to agree. I do think
people should be free to express *opinions* in a public forum wihout
being personally attacked. Expressing your differing opinion is fine;
personal attacks are not.

If you continue, I promise to return very heavy fire. You decide.

G.T.

Apr 24, 2006, 9:17:14 PM4/24/06

"John Forrest Tomlinson" <usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote in message

> On 24 Apr 2006 17:38:14 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >Given your two digit IQ, I'm not surprised.
>
> Perhaps I wasn't clear. What are you asking me to do when you say
> "can't you reciprocate? And what is "my stuff"?

And they're off and running!

Greg

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:21:43 PM4/24/06

I'd rather not, Greg, but Tomlinson persists in his personal attacks
against those with differing opinions. Sad....

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 9:52:22 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 18:07:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

Right -- no need to repeat that stuff -- what I said is easily found.

I was just pointing out what Sorni was commenting on here.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 9:54:12 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>Helmets have become a fashion statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
>ride?". And a conspicuous consumption issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>did yours cost?".

Ozark, I am asking the following question as simply as I can:

What were the circumstances in which you heard someone bragging about
paying that much for a helmet?

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:46:11 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 18:07:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >So you stipulate to using the other terms in the past, in other
> >threads, when I have espressed opinions with which you differ?
> >
> >No snipping, Tomlinson....the Google record stands to prove the truth.
>
> Right -- no need to repeat that stuff -- what I said is easily found.
>
> I was just pointing out what Sorni was commenting on here.

And, in an earlier age, you would have been "The Compleat Ass". ;-)

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:48:07 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >Helmets have become a fashion statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
> >ride?". And a conspicuous consumption issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
> >did yours cost?".
>
> Ozark, I am asking the following question as simply as I can:
>
> What were the circumstances in which you heard someone bragging about
> paying that much for a helmet?

You really don't get it, do ya?

Try, try, try.........

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 9:58:02 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 18:21:43 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>I'd rather not, Greg, but Tomlinson persists in his personal attacks
>against those with differing opinions. Sad....

Ozark, you may take this as a personal attack -- I guess that my
daring to ask you a question about something that seems implausible
offends you.

But could you please just answer this question:

Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
helmet?

I'm asking because it seems, to me, very unlikely to have happened. If
it did happen, I'd love to know the circumstances of it.

Or were you just exagerrating to make a point that helmets are
overpriced? If so, I agree with the general point -- that's a lot of
money for a bike helmet.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 10:02:28 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 18:48:07 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
>> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Helmets have become a fashion statement: "What does Lance (etc.)
>> >ride?". And a conspicuous consumption issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>> >did yours cost?".
>>
>> Ozark, I am asking the following question as simply as I can:
>>
>> What were the circumstances in which you heard someone bragging about
>> paying that much for a helmet?
>>

>You really don't get it, do ya?

I don't. That's why I asked.

Could you please just answer my question or explain what I'm missing
about the conspicuous consumption and helmets.

You may think I'm stupid, but if I don't "get it" there are likely at
least a few other readers who are similarly confused or unbelieving
about what you wrote. So I think you should back up and/or explain
your comments.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 9:54:47 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 18:21:43 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

The "Compleat Ass" comes to Versailles:

> >I'd rather not, Greg, but Tomlinson persists in his personal attacks
> >against those with differing opinions. Sad....
>
> Ozark, you may take this as a personal attack -- I guess that my
> daring to ask you a question about something that seems implausible
> offends you.
>
> But could you please just answer this question:
>
> Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
> helmet?
>
> I'm asking because it seems, to me, very unlikely to have happened. If
> it did happen, I'd love to know the circumstances of it.
>
> Or were you just exagerrating to make a point that helmets are
> overpriced? If so, I agree with the general point -- that's a lot of
> money for a bike helmet.

Geez, are you dense, oppositional, or just plain ol' fashioned 'toopid?

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 10:09:52 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 18:54:47 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>Geez, are you dense, oppositional, or just plain ol' fashioned 'toopid?

I'm not being oppostional about this. You described something that is
outside my experience and seemed exaggerated at best and possibly
untrue.

I don't know if you're exagerrating to make a point, or lying to make
a point, or telling the truth about bragging on spending so much on a
helmet (note -- I am not accusing you of lying here -- I'm saying that
I'm considering it. But I don't know. Maybve you actuall heard this).

And because I don't know, I've just asked you to confirm what you
said, and perhaps, if it's true, give some more information. If it is
true, it's very interesting and thought-provoking.

Other things I have said may have offended you, but this is actually a
question. I don't understand why you won't or can't answer it.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 10:02:21 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

<snipped>

-simple is......-

> You may think I'm stupid,

How did you know.....:-)

> but if I don't "get it" there are likely at
> least a few other readers who are similarly confused or unbelieving
> about what you wrote. So I think you should back up and/or explain
> your comments.

Sure, Tomlinson, just as soon as you back up/prove your allegations of
"deceptive", "liar" , etc., re: my preference for bar end shifters. No
changing of terms permitted: prove or withdraw.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 10:18:54 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 19:02:21 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

Wow, I ask you a question at least tangentially related to this thread
(if you have ever really heard someone bragging about spending a lot
for a helmet) and you think that not answering that is some sort of
tactic or bargaining chip in an ongoing war/negotiation between us.
Odd.

Well, I can hope that perhaps someone else will ask you about that at
some point, and you won't hold out from responding just to "screw" me
-- it's an interesting comment you made about that expensive helmet
and people probably want to know more, or at least know if it's true.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 24, 2006, 10:24:10 PM4/24/06
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:18:54 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

> So I think you should back up and/or explain
> your comments.

I may have put that in a tone that sounds too accusatory. Sorry. So
how about this as a nicer attempt at the question:

You said something very interesting and to some readers, novel, about
people bragging about spending a lot of money for a helmet. Could you
perhaps tell us more about where/who said that?

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 10:22:35 PM4/24/06
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>>>
>>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> -on consumer suckerism-

>>> You just can't resist, can you?
>>>
>>> I've stayed out of your stuff, can't you reciprocate?
>>>
>>> Or would you like to have another go? You decide.

>> Dude, he was totally respectful and civil. "Can't you reciprocate?"

> Oh, really? By saying that I am "obsessed", "deluded", "a liar",
> "deceptive", etc., whenever I express an opinion contrary to his?

Wow, you read a LOT in to things. (Yes, he said you seem to be obsessed
with money re. bike fashion trends, but he inquired about YOUR opinion, not
vice versa; and none of those other words were raised AFAIR.)

> Tell ya what, if you treat me with the same resprct Tomlinson does,
> I'll do the same to you, Sorni.

Man, mix in some decaf. Really.

Bill

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 10:24:14 PM4/24/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 19:02:21 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> ><snipped>
> >
> >-simple is......-
> >

> >> You may think I'm stupid,
> >
> >How did you know.....:-)
> >>
> >> but if I don't "get it" there are likely at
> >> least a few other readers who are similarly confused or unbelieving
> >> about what you wrote. So I think you should back up and/or explain
> >> your comments.
>
> >Sure, Tomlinson, just as soon as you back up/prove your allegations of
> >"deceptive", "liar" , etc., re: my preference for bar end shifters. No
> >changing of terms permitted: prove or withdraw.
>
> Wow, I ask you a question at least tangentially related to this thread
> (if you have ever really heard someone bragging about spending a lot
> for a helmet) and you think that not answering that is some sort of
> tactic or bargaining chip in an ongoing war/negotiation between us.
> Odd.

Odd??? Not a bit. Your prior behavior/tactics define you, at least in
this forum. If you want fair treatment, give fair treatment. Continue
to be an ass and I will treat you as such.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 24, 2006, 10:27:25 PM4/24/06

There's a history here; perhaps a little knowledge of that would
benefit you.

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 10:31:52 PM4/24/06

I guess we have different definitions of "attack". I'm aware of the
contentious history between these two, but I didn't think JT's reply /in
this thread at least/ was abusive or even personal (save for the word
obsessed, maybe?).

If JT goes around humping every single post of OB, then that's one thing.
If he comments about an isolated post here and there and OB goes off the
deep end almost every single time, then perhaps that's another.

Whatever.

Bill "have my own experience with this crap so should have stayed out of
this one" S.

Sorni

Apr 24, 2006, 10:32:36 PM4/24/06

I know. Forget I said anything.

Mark H.

Apr 24, 2006, 11:26:57 PM4/24/06
It also depends on your stance on the bike. If you're riding in an upright
position, even if there are a lot of vents on the helmet, you won't get as a
great a cooling effect as if you are tilting your head slightly forward,
such as when you're in the drops on a road bike. If this is the case, you
may want to look for a helmet that has large vents in the very front of the
helmet, low on the brow. Some helmets have what could be termed a "scoop"
right at the front browline. Some Specialized helmets have this feature; go
to its website and have a look-see. And a solid color white, or light
silver, does make a difference over a darker color in reflecting the sun.

Best wishes.

> It's a Giro Eclipse cheapie model (that was still $38 not well spent);
> I went home and checked at lunch after posting up above that I thought
> it was this model.
>
> Samatha

Jeff Starr

Apr 24, 2006, 11:35:22 PM4/24/06
On 24 Apr 2006 17:36:35 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 24 Apr 2006 13:28:10 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"

>> <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And a conspicuous consumption
>> > issue: "Mine cost $189.99, what
>> > did yours cost?".
>>

>> Have you ever actually heard someone saying this about a helmet? Or
>> bragging that their helmet cost a lot, as if that's a good thing?
>>

>Are you really this numb/lame? Or do you just pretend?

Well, could you answer the question, for the rest of us?

Jeff

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 7:18:57 AM4/25/06

Samatha wrote:
> I think what I have now is a Giro Eclipse. I haven't been really happy
> with it; it's only three weeks old and the rear adjustment wheel slips
> out instead of holding tight enough to keep the helmet from sliding
> back too far. I am considering taking it back to the bike shop to see
> if they'd do a swap for something better with me.

You should loosen the head clamp at the back so it has no effect, then
adjust the straps so that the helmet stops sliding back too far. Once
the straps are properly adjusted, you can then tighten the head clamp
to your comfort. The head clamp is just for comfort and offers minimal
security in a crash.

The job of keeping the lid on your head in a crash belongs to the
straps. When properly adjusted, you should be unable to roll the helmet
off your head to the front, back, or sides. When doing this test, pull
hard. Think about how hard the road will pull on your helmet when you
crash.

The head clamps do almost nothing in this test.

Oh, yeah, and larger vents help, but they let in the sun too. Remember
that shade reduces heat too. I also live in Texas, and the best thing
you can do is get used to the heat. You're going to be hot, and in a
couple of months, you're going to be even hotter. I just get out and
ride in it.

-Mike

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 7:25:59 AM4/25/06

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
> helmet?

If anyone mentions that they spent a lot of money on something, they
are bragging.

"Nice helmet."

"Thanks, it better be. Damn thing cost me $189." <====BRAGGING

There's no classy way to bring up the cost of something unless you're
asked.

> I'm asking because it seems, to me, very unlikely to have happened. If
> it did happen, I'd love to know the circumstances of it.

It's happened to me about short, helmets, socks, all sorts of stuff
over my 15 years in this sport.

-Mike

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 7:33:31 AM4/25/06
Specificallly, I've found the Specialized helmets with the larger
horizontal vent across the forehead to be cooler than others I've had.
That vent seems to start off the air movement for me.

Here's an example (look right above the forehead):
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14210

-Mike

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 25, 2006, 8:13:35 AM4/25/06

Someone else has already done so:

http://tinyurl.com/pgjnv

Have you never experienced the scenario that Mike Reed outlines in his
post?

Earl Bollinger

Apr 25, 2006, 8:17:46 AM4/25/06
> In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
> plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
> recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
> exhaustion quite so quickly?

What is your fitness level?
When I first started, the heat really cooked me good.
I am finding that the heat this year isn't affecting nearly as much as it
did a couple of years ago when even 85 degree temps would do me in.
So it may not be the helmit per se, but a good fitting helmit is a big plus
though.
Another subtle thing is helmit color, darker colors aren't good, neither is
wearing darker riding clothes either.
I wear a wet bandana around my neck when it is up near or over 100 degrees
too. that helps a lot.
Some people with really long hair have problems as all that hair can keep a
lot of heat in too.

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 8:29:40 AM4/25/06

Earl Bollinger wrote:

> Another subtle thing is helmit color, darker colors aren't good, neither is
> wearing darker riding clothes either.

I've never seen any data, but I would think that the inch of styrofoam
between your mellon and a dark helmet shell would insulate really well
from any heat transfer due to dark colors.

All helmets seem to have dark styrofoam, which sees the sun on the
sides, and also shouldn't appreciably effect heat inside the helmet.

-Mike

jtaylor

Apr 25, 2006, 9:15:51 AM4/25/06

"Ozark Bicycle" <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote in message

a) That post is dated 25 Apr 2006 04:25:59 -0700; you started this topic
much before that; so your use of "...already..." is misleading

b) the post referenced is not an answer to the question - YOU have not
replied whether YOU have ever heard someone say that about their helmet.

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 25, 2006, 9:28:42 AM4/25/06

jtaylor wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <bicycle...@ozarkbicycleservice.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Jeff Starr wrote:

> > > Well, could you answer the question, for the rest of us?
> > >

> > Someone else has already done so:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/pgjnv
> >

> a) That post is dated 25 Apr 2006 04:25:59 -0700; you started this topic
> much before that; so your use of "...already..." is misleading

Depends on how you look at it: by the time I saw Jeff's post/query,
Mike Reed had already made his post.

> b) the post referenced is not an answer to the question - YOU have not
> replied whether YOU have ever heard someone say that about their helmet.

Well I have seen people behave this way, and not just about helmets but
about many things both bicycle related and non-bicycle related. Are YOU
saying YOU haven't?

IMO, conspicuous consumption is the driving force behind the "logos
galore" phenomenon that is everywhere in today's marketplace. (How else
to explain, for example, the $50 Tommy Hilfiger T-shirt other than a
"$5 shirt with a $45 logo"?)

Joel Bierling

Apr 25, 2006, 9:34:42 AM4/25/06
Mike Reed wrote:
> I've never seen any data, but I would think that the inch of styrofoam
> between your mellon and a dark helmet shell would insulate really well
> from any heat transfer due to dark colors.

Indeed. Not only that but since you should have good airflow while
biking, I suspect the helmets external temp should be very close to the
ambient air temp regardless of how much sun energy it was absorbing due
to its color.

-Joel

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 9:39:56 AM4/25/06
jtaylor wrote:
> b) the post referenced is not an answer to the question - YOU have not
> replied whether YOU have ever heard someone say that about their helmet.

This double-ended trolling is quite entertaining. Some are trolling by
trying to get somebody to answer a question whose answer has no value,
and some are trolling by refusing to answer said question.

Just this Sunday I met a guy whose helmet came with a soft case. He
said "I guess I better use this case after all the money I spent on the
helmet." He was bragging. He didn't tell me how much he spent, but it
wouldn't take me 2 minutes to figure out which Giro helmets come with a
case and how much they cost (00:00:47 to find it's a Giro Atmos for
$130).

-Mike

Werehatrack

Apr 25, 2006, 10:17:35 AM4/25/06
On 24 Apr 2006 08:27:11 -0700, "Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In South Texas, the sun is broiling my brain in the styrofoam and
>plastic helmet I bought despite the air vents through it. Can anyone
>recommend a different helmet that won't have me struggling with heat
>exhaustion quite so quickly?

Get one that's a larger size if possible, and put the least number of
foam pad strips inside as possible, as thick as will comfortably fit,
to hold it away from your head and provide some air flow space. I
find that a short haircut also helps. Lots of vent holes can also
mean sunburn on the scalp if the hair's too short (or missing); using
a wicking do-rag under the helmet may help with both the heat and the
UV in such circumstances.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Samatha

Apr 25, 2006, 12:16:49 PM4/25/06
My fitness level? Probably somewhere between 'My, that's pathetic!' and
'Wow, you're REALLY red.' Due to an unfortunate chemical accident, I've
got damage to my lungs the doctors call chemical asthma. My new doc put
me on Singulair, which actually has me able to breathe again.
Unfortunately, in the three years in between, my life has been pretty
much the Couch Potato standard.

I'm working to change this - and I'm sure there is adjusting to the
heat I need to do, and better conditioning will help. I just noticed
that I overheat much faster with the helmet than without it, so I was
trying to help myself as much as I can, so I can stick to the workouts
and commuting.

Sam

Samatha

Apr 25, 2006, 12:24:00 PM4/25/06
Hi Werehatrack!

I'm taking it back to the bike shop tomorrow night - I'll let them work
with me, since I might be adjusting it wrong. I thought it worked more
like a hardhat than a strap-down mechanism. The foam pads that came
with it fell out immediately upon use, so I've been riding with it
splat 'gainst my head. I've got a lot of hair, true, and even
French-braided, it's hot - but not as bad as a sun-burnt scalp. If need
be, I'll locate more foam and superglue some strips in to get some air
flow.

Although I also like the idea of getting some artificially cooler head
wraps, too. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I know how dangerous overheating is -
especially when you're riding out by yourself.

Sam

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 25, 2006, 12:37:24 PM4/25/06

Samatha wrote:

<snipped>

> I just noticed
> that I overheat much faster with the helmet than without it, so I was
> trying to help myself as much as I can, so I can stick to the workouts
> and commuting.

I rode for many years without a helmet before a clueless driver forced
me off the road in the spring of 1990. That incident led me to buy a
then-new-to-the-market microshell styrofoam helmet (a Bell Image). One
of my fears was that the helmet would be hot, but I found this not to
be the case. In fact, I am now of the opinion that when the sun is
beating down fiercely hot, the helmet actually keeps my head a bit
cooler, much as a hat might were one walking or hiking.( I think really
high humidity, which can be a real factor here in the Ozarks, changes
things a bit.) So, perhaps your current helmet is really poorly
ventilated (although I can't imagine it would be less ventilated than
that first Bell Image I owned), or perhaps it just fits really poorly,
rendering the vents useless(?).

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 12:58:02 PM4/25/06

Samatha wrote:
> Hi Werehatrack!
>
> I'm taking it back to the bike shop tomorrow night - I'll let them work
> with me, since I might be adjusting it wrong. I thought it worked more
> like a hardhat than a strap-down mechanism. The foam pads that came
> with it fell out immediately upon use, so I've been riding with it
> splat 'gainst my head. I've got a lot of hair, true, and even
> French-braided, it's hot - but not as bad as a sun-burnt scalp. If need
> be, I'll locate more foam and superglue some strips in to get some air
> flow.

I would recommend that you read on Giro's web site about helmet fit and
adjustment. A lot of the salespeople at shops give bad advice in this
respect. Temper what Giro says with the advise in this thread, then you
can critically evaluate the advise at the shop.

I had a sales guy at a very large LBS tell me that modern helmets are
supposed to be strapped looser than they used to be, and that the head
clamps were to do all the work keeping the lid on. I shared an email
with the store manager and he's going to make sure everyone is
reeducated on helmet fit.

> Although I also like the idea of getting some artificially cooler head
> wraps, too.

I haven't tried one of these yet, but I have friends who love them here
in Austin and down in Houston.

-Mike

G.T.

Apr 25, 2006, 1:26:10 PM4/25/06
Mike Reed wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
>>Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
>>helmet?
>

> If anyone mentions that they spent a lot of money on something, they
> are bragging.
>
> "Nice helmet."
>
> "Thanks, it better be. Damn thing cost me $189." <====BRAGGING

In my 20 years of wearing helmets and riding with those who wear helmets
I have NEVER witnessed that conversation. Not once.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 1:41:51 PM4/25/06
G.T. wrote:
> Mike Reed wrote:
>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>>
>>> Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
>>> helmet?

>> If anyone mentions that they spent a lot of money on something, they
>> are bragging.
>>
>> "Nice helmet."
>>
>> "Thanks, it better be. Damn thing cost me $189." <====BRAGGING

> In my 20 years of wearing helmets and riding with those who wear
> helmets I have NEVER witnessed that conversation. Not once.

More common in my (11-year) experience is bragging about a DEAL one got.
For example, Miles got an expensive ($150+) helmet for, like, $40 due to his
membership in SDBC. It was blingy, that's for sure.

(And yes, I think it was the very same helmet that "saved his friggin' life"
when he took that infamous tumble off the cliff -- immortalized in Bill
Porter's video, and As Seen On TV!).

I have a bunch of helmets, but my favorite is still the Bell I got for ~$59
a few years ago. Light; fits right; looks decent...

Bill "would rather crack the bucket" S.

Michael Press

Apr 25, 2006, 2:22:57 PM4/25/06
In article
<1145972396.0...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>,
"Mike Reed" <waterr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> jtaylor wrote:
> > b) the post referenced is not an answer to the question - YOU have not
> > replied whether YOU have ever heard someone say that about their helmet.
>
> This double-ended trolling is quite entertaining. Some are trolling by
> trying to get somebody to answer a question whose answer has no value,
> and some are trolling by refusing to answer said question.

If a party is trolling by asking a question whose answer
has no value, then you must allow for a refusal to answer
as recognition of this aspect of the question. Yes?

--
Michael Press

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 2:43:46 PM4/25/06

But only if the non-answerer remains otherwise un-trolled as well. Yes?

Michael Press

Apr 25, 2006, 2:58:02 PM4/25/06
In article
<1145981809.2...@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
"Samatha" <daras...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Samantha, please carry out another risk analysis. Contrast
the risk of overheating with the risk of not using a
helmet. Perhaps a sunshade type headgear with good airflow
will suit you better. Yes, all the professionals wear
helmets. But they ride at 20+ miles / hour. You ride with
much less wind cooling, but with an equivalent level of
effort compared with the professionals and other highly
adapted bicyclists.

As we can dump heat through expiration, and as your lung
capacity is compromised, you _might_ be less able to
manage heat than others.

Superficial blood flow to the head is four times that
elsewhere. We can lose, or build up, a great deal of heat
at our heads.

--
Michael Press

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 3:10:00 PM4/25/06
Hey, wait just a second, are you guys trolling?

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 3:15:38 PM4/25/06

Michael Press wrote:
> Samantha, please carry out another risk analysis. Contrast
> the risk of overheating with the risk of not using a
> helmet. Perhaps a sunshade type headgear with good airflow
> will suit you better. Yes, all the professionals wear
> helmets. But they ride at 20+ miles / hour. You ride with
> much less wind cooling, but with an equivalent level of
> effort compared with the professionals and other highly
> adapted bicyclists.

That's a good point, but let's not forget that forward motion is only
one component of melon velocity in a bike crash. If you collapsed from
a standstill, you could still sustain a critical injury just from the
acceleration of gravity.

Moving forward fast will add additional significant impacts, but that
first one is pretty much just a function of falling over/sliding
out/going over the bars/etc.

-Mike

Mike Reed

Apr 25, 2006, 3:20:24 PM4/25/06

G.T. wrote:
> Mike Reed wrote:
> > John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> >>Have you actually heard someone bragging about spending $189 for a
> >>helmet?
> >

> > If anyone mentions that they spent a lot of money on something, they
> > are bragging.
> >
> > "Nice helmet."
> >
> > "Thanks, it better be. Damn thing cost me $189." <====BRAGGING
> >

> In my 20 years of wearing helmets and riding with those who wear helmets
> I have NEVER witnessed that conversation. Not once.

With only 15 years under my lid, you have me outdone on experience.
Still, I've witnessed similar conversations a handful of times -- one
was the day before yesterday.

-Mike

Samatha

Apr 25, 2006, 3:34:47 PM4/25/06
I appreciate the concern. I know I do have more trouble cooling than
the Average Joe, so that's why I'm taking the trouble to ask for ideas.
Y'all have given me some really good pointers, too. Not sure I'm really
putting out as much effort as the professionals, but it's a lot for
-me- right now.

I'm going to make sure I'm wearing the silly helmet right, using a wet
bandana, and so on. Given that I'm cautious about over-extending
myself, particulary overheating-wise, I think wearing a helmet is
better than not. While it might only save me once in a long while, the
consequence of a head injury is generally very severe. If I keep having
marked difficulties with overheating, I'll cut my hair a lot shorter
before I'll toss the helmet. I'm riding in one very high-traffic road.
It has bike lanes, but the cars actually are CLOSER with the bike lane
than they *usually* buzz by without. But I still almost got
clothes-lined by someone's guidebar on a boat trailer on my first ride
of the commute distance. I am also going to add another bottle and
rack, too.

I'll get there. It'll just take some patience and a bit slower pace.

Sam

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 4:19:42 PM4/25/06
Mike Reed wrote:
> Hey, wait just a second, are you guys trolling?

We're not going to answer that question. (See below.)

That's the answer to that question. (See above.)

Pete Grey

Apr 25, 2006, 5:07:55 PM4/25/06
Myself as well. This is a conversation that comes up in various forms.
Just the other day someone was complaining about ceramic bearing set prices
and how little the improvement for the cost was. Yet they still had a set.

I think it depends on one's cylcing crowd. I ride with a group that's
largely composed of Cat 3-4-5 and masters riders. The type that aren't
struggling to survive and race, but have decided to race as a hobby.

For most of my cycling stuff I'm on the other end; I get strange looks when
someone asks about a new helmet and I reply that I got it for $50 ;-]

-pete

"Mike Reed" <waterr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Chalo

Apr 25, 2006, 5:17:29 PM4/25/06

Mike Reed wrote:

> That's a good point, but let's not forget that forward motion is only
> one component of melon velocity in a bike crash. If you collapsed from
> a standstill, you could still sustain a critical injury just from the
> acceleration of gravity.

Need I observe that such a thing could happen any time you are running?
Walking? Standing around?

Chalo

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 5:44:38 PM4/25/06

Most people are at least a little more likely to lose their balance on a
bike (whether through clumsiness, carelessness or just plain bad luck with
an obstacle or blowout) than when perched upon two big slabs of feet meat.

Percentages.

BS

data...@yahoo.com

Apr 25, 2006, 5:50:05 PM4/25/06
what about lettuce?

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 5:51:34 PM4/25/06
data...@yahoo.com wrote:

> what about lettuce?

it's getting stale.

carl...@comcast.net

Apr 25, 2006, 6:06:49 PM4/25/06

Dear Bill,

Actually, deaths from pedestrian falls are far more common
than bicycle deaths, partly because of the much larger
number of pedestrians, partly because of the greater amount
of time that we spend on our hind legs instead of two
wheels, and partly because far more elderly folk prone to
dying from falling accidents are walkers instead of
bicyclists.

Browse down in the link below to the "TYPES OF ACCIDENTAL
DEATHS" for USA 2002, and you'll find that #1 was motor
vehicle accidents at 44.3%, #2 was falls at 17.8%, and down
at #7 was other land transport at 1.5%, presumably including
bicycles as well as horses, skateboards, and rickshaws.

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/causes.html

Chee--well, that's not quite appropriate, is it?

Carl Fogel

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 25, 2006, 6:17:17 PM4/25/06
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:41:51 GMT, "Sorni"
<soryousucknyour...@san.rr.com> wrote:

>G.T. wrote:
>> Mike Reed wrote:

>>> If anyone mentions that they spent a lot of money on something, they
>>> are bragging.
>>>
>>> "Nice helmet."
>>>
>>> "Thanks, it better be. Damn thing cost me $189." <====BRAGGING
>
>> In my 20 years of wearing helmets and riding with those who wear
>> helmets I have NEVER witnessed that conversation. Not once.
>
>More common in my (11-year) experience is bragging about a DEAL one got.

I've heard that kind of thing about bike stuff. Or evasion about high
prices paid, with the person being embarrassed.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson

Apr 25, 2006, 6:21:21 PM4/25/06
http://www.jt10000.com/team/tgal/rg97.htm

Tommy Hilfiger clothes, obtained for free. Don't know what he paid
for the helmet.

Sorni

Apr 25, 2006, 7:24:56 PM4/25/06

Dear Carl,

Good to know you haven't changed! :)

I still maintain that MY chances of falling in a manner that would cause me
to hit my head on a hard and quite possibly sharp object are much greater
when I'm suspended 4+ feet off the ground on a fast-moving thin-framed
skinny-tired vehicle (controlled by...ME!) than when I'm JWA or going down
stairs or driving or whatever. Therefore, I wear a helmet when engaging in
the former activity and don't when I'm not.

YMMVWV.

Bill S.

It is loading more messages.