Beer me Floyd

1 view

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 21, 2006, 9:21:39 AM7/21/06
Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??

Now this is important TdF tech!!!!

Michael Warner

Jul 21, 2006, 10:11:18 AM7/21/06
On 21 Jul 2006 06:21:39 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
> Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??

After a ride like that, I wouldn't care (as long as it wasn't American
beer).

Mark Hickey

Jul 21, 2006, 10:18:28 AM7/21/06

I'm not sure what kind of beer he drank, but if the name gets out,
it's going to be the recovery drink of choice after yesterday! ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

M-gineering

Jul 21, 2006, 10:38:12 AM7/21/06
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
It wasn't beer but Amstel, according to Belgian TV

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Todd Tracy

Jul 21, 2006, 11:27:24 AM7/21/06

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
respect for Levi's choice.

Ted Bennett

Jul 21, 2006, 11:53:50 AM7/21/06
Michael Warner <s...@homepage.com> wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2006 06:21:39 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
> > Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??
>
> After a ride like that, I wouldn't care (as long as it wasn't American
> beer).

There are some very good beers made in the U.S., despite what Aussies
say about them. And there are some piss-poor beers made too, sorta like
Fosters.

--
Ted Bennett

G.T.

Jul 21, 2006, 12:08:37 PM7/21/06
Ted Bennett wrote:
> Michael Warner <s...@homepage.com> wrote:
>

>>On 21 Jul 2006 06:21:39 -0700, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>

>>>Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
>>>Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??
>>
>>After a ride like that, I wouldn't care (as long as it wasn't American
>>beer).
>

> There are some very good beers made in the U.S., despite what Aussies
> say about them.

Aussies don't have any room to talk. Their beer sucks as bad as
mainstream American beer and I sure as hell couldn't find any microbrews
the last time I was there.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

lick...@lickbike.com

Jul 21, 2006, 1:02:40 PM7/21/06

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote:
>
> >Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
> >Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??
> >
> >Now this is important TdF tech!!!!
>
> I'm not sure what kind of beer he drank, but if the name gets out,
> it's going to be the recovery drink of choice after yesterday! ;-)

Why, hasn't it always been so?

> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Robin Hubert

D'ohBoy

Jul 21, 2006, 5:33:43 PM7/21/06

Shiner Bock ain't no Bock. Get yerself a DoppelBock or a real German
Bock and a Shiner and side-by-side 'em.

Shiner is cheap mass-produced-tasting beer labeled Bock that sure ain't
no Bock.

D'ohBoy, who, if he knows anything, knows beer.

dusto...@mac.com

Jul 21, 2006, 5:34:43 PM7/21/06

Todd Tracy wrote:

> Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
> lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
> of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
> respect for Levi's choice.

Shiner "Bock" is reported (by Shiner) to be the #4 best-seller by some
category or another in the USA. This is good as it means it's more
likely the S-N shelf still has some Pale on it when I get there, which
is not always the case (ahem) here deep in the heart of Tejas.

Let's put it this way: when you go to the Shiner Hospitality Room,
you'll probably drink the Bock (""). Available year 'round.

Amazing, both Shiner and S-N start out with, like, water... --D-y

Mark Hickey

Jul 21, 2006, 6:04:25 PM7/21/06
"G.T." <getn...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>Ted Bennett wrote:

>> There are some very good beers made in the U.S., despite what Aussies
>> say about them.
>
>Aussies don't have any room to talk. Their beer sucks as bad as
>mainstream American beer and I sure as hell couldn't find any microbrews
>the last time I was there.

I had to laugh - it was quite common to see a large percentage of the
Aussie yuppies standing around in a pub drinking Budweiser.

OTOH, I don't think I ever saw one drinking a Fosters.

I guess beer tastes better when you sell it halfway around the world,
eh?

SYJ

Jul 21, 2006, 7:40:37 PM7/21/06

My old man grew up in TX...after he saw me sucking down a Shiner Bock
one day (pre Armstrong TdF era), he told me that he and his buddies
drank Shiner back in the day - but only if they couldn't afford Lone
Star (This is much funnier if you've ever had the misfortune of tasting
Lone Star in a can).

SYJ

Kevin

Jul 21, 2006, 8:06:43 PM7/21/06
SYJ wrote:
> My old man grew up in TX...after he saw me sucking down a Shiner Bock
> one day (pre Armstrong TdF era), he told me that he and his buddies
> drank Shiner back in the day - but only if they couldn't afford Lone
> Star (This is much funnier if you've ever had the misfortune of tasting
> Lone Star in a can).
>
> SYJ

This one time, at a chili cook off in La Grange, I remember digging thru
the cooler HOPING to find a Lone Star Light! (Light is MUCH worse than
regular Lone Star). The only other choice was Buckhorn. If you haven't
tasted either imagine Pabst/Iron City/Falstaff that had been sitting in
a hot warehouse for a couple of years.

Hey, it's their own fault for letting (making) a broke guy (me) buy the
beer.

I apologized for years, I don't think the rest of the cook off team ever
forgave me.

Victor Kan

Jul 21, 2006, 8:41:42 PM7/21/06
Mark Hickey wrote:
> I had to laugh - it was quite common to see a large percentage of the
> Aussie yuppies standing around in a pub drinking Budweiser.
>
> OTOH, I don't think I ever saw one drinking a Fosters.
>
> I guess beer tastes better when you sell it halfway around the world,
> eh?

Maybe it was black market, imported Czech Bud.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Michael Warner

Jul 21, 2006, 9:51:37 PM7/21/06
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:08:37 -0700, G.T. wrote:

>> There are some very good beers made in the U.S., despite what Aussies
>> say about them.
>
> Aussies don't have any room to talk. Their beer sucks as bad as
> mainstream American beer

I've lived in the US, and no, it doesn't. Fortunately I live in the state
where Coopers is brewed :-)

Todd Tracy

Jul 21, 2006, 10:42:16 PM7/21/06

You are correct, sir. I first tasted Shiner "Bock" years ago on a
business trip to Dallas. I went out to dinner with some guys from the
company I was dealing with. One guy, who knew I liked good beer,
seemed especially proud of SB and ordered me one. "Great!", I said, "I
like a good bock." I was horrified at what the Texans' considered good
beer. Reminded me of the quote from the late Chicago Tribune columnist
Mike Royko. Describing a particularly bad beer, he said it "tasted
like it was brewed through a horse."

fred....@yahoo.com

Jul 21, 2006, 10:42:48 PM7/21/06

It was PBR! That's right, Cool Blue!

Go Floyd, Go USA! Rednecks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer!

Fred

dusto...@mac.com

Jul 22, 2006, 1:20:47 AM7/22/06

Todd Tracy wrote:

> You are correct, sir. I first tasted Shiner "Bock" years ago on a
> business trip to Dallas. I went out to dinner with some guys from the
> company I was dealing with. One guy, who knew I liked good beer,
> seemed especially proud of SB and ordered me one. "Great!", I said, "I
> like a good bock." I was horrified at what the Texans' considered good
> beer.

Please. *Those* Texans? Just those few you went to dinner with?

This obviously is something of a sore point with me, but I'll just
repeat that S-N Pale sells out (supplies somewhat limited) in my orbit.
I don't know about the Shiner, Bock or other, since I don't look there.
I guess I could make some secret marks on the cartons and see if anyone
actually buys the stuff.

> Reminded me of the quote from the late Chicago Tribune columnist
> Mike Royko. Describing a particularly bad beer, he said it "tasted
> like it was brewed through a horse."

My "tasting (arrrrgh!) room" comment IRT the Shiner brewery, "you'll
drink the Bock" was meant to indicate that the Bock is far, far better
than the normal Shiner offered from the next tap over. Sure enough,
going through a horse is better than other choices in the animal
kingdom.

I guess when I first moved here I had hopes that were dashed. It's a
taste that's hard to forget. But I have. Almost.

I think the Lance-SB thing was actually kind of a joke, meant to lure
the unsuspecting.

OK, on to more pleasant subjects. --D-y

R Brickston

Jul 22, 2006, 1:36:39 AM7/22/06
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:04:25 -0700, Mark Hickey <ma...@habcycles.com>
wrote:

Foster's is the Budweiser of down under.

Ron Ruff

Jul 22, 2006, 2:05:46 AM7/22/06

Mark Hickey wrote:
> I'm not sure what kind of beer he drank, but if the name gets out,
> it's going to be the recovery drink of choice after yesterday! ;-)

My choice is Spatan Optimator (and vanilla soy milk... uh, not
together)... very glad they sell it in Kauai...

Yes... Aussie beer generally sucks (or it did last time I was there).
It's as bad as idiots in the US thinking there is a substantial
difference between Coors, Bud, Miller, etc...

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 22, 2006, 4:35:13 AM7/22/06
In article <etKdnZOjopCL8VzZ...@giganews.com>,
Kevin <bigta...@netscape.net> wrote:

http://ratebeer.com/Ratings/TheWorstBeers.asp

Discounting the non-alcoholic beer and malt liquor at the very bottom of
the ranks, this (erm, Canadian) brew is the worst actual beer on the
list:

http://ratebeer.com/Brewers/Beer/Beer-Reviews-32779.htm

Shiner Bock is in the 21st percentile, meaning that fully 20% of the
beers on that site rate as worse-tasting:

http://ratebeer.com/Beer/shiner-bock/909/

They can't all be non-alcoholic,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/

* * Chas

Jul 22, 2006, 4:49:46 AM7/22/06

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote in message

> Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
> Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??
>
> Now this is important TdF tech!!!!

Yuengling - from Eastern PA. America's oldest beer, since 1829.

Chas.

* * Chas

Jul 22, 2006, 4:53:58 AM7/22/06

<fred....@yahoo.com> wrote in message

No! It's Green Grass, Blue Skies and Pink Floyd!

PBR? For my part, you can pour it back in the horse! ;-)

Chas.

* * Chas

Jul 22, 2006, 5:07:40 AM7/22/06

"Kevin" <bigta...@netscape.net> wrote in message

You're forgetting one other choice brew in the Lone Star State: Pearl -
great for blowing chunks!

Over in AZ they used to make A-1 beer.

The label suggest that it was best consumed at 31° F. It really should
have been more of a warning label than a suggestion.

Bear Whiz Beer!

RonSonic

Jul 22, 2006, 8:11:52 AM7/22/06

They've opened a brewery here in Tampa. Good stuff. Probably my favorite
American brew.

Ron

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 22, 2006, 9:05:08 AM7/22/06

What people may or may not like is like whether or not somebody likes
how a frameset rides-VERY subjective. What is amazing to me is how
liking/disliking one beer or another somehow translates into something
more than if ya like the taste. Seems like yer not 'cool' unless ya
like some 'tastes like piss to some', small, industrious micro-brew or
another or some kinda of silly laced with wheat or something small
little beer. geeezzz, I like Mikeys and Rolling Rock and even Molsons
and Fosters and Peroni. Can't stand just about every 'micro brew'
available around here, starting with th Belgium Brewing/Left hand
brewing stuff...Just doesn't seem right to have fruit or chocolate in a
beer...

But don't like the ride of aluminum either......

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 22, 2006, 9:08:16 AM7/22/06

See my post...doin't mind SB...Sierra Nevada makes me gag.....

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 22, 2006, 9:20:40 AM7/22/06

Beer snobs. I lived in South Texas for 14 months and had many Pearl,
LoneStar and didn't mind them at all...while guys would travel up to CO
with an empty trailer, fill it with Coors and come back and sell it in
a parking lot...for lots of $$-

G.T.

Jul 22, 2006, 10:53:07 AM7/22/06

Are you really a chick?

Aeek

Jul 22, 2006, 11:32:18 AM7/22/06
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:38:12 +0200, M-gineering
<ikmotg...@m-gineering.nl> wrote:

>It wasn't beer but Amstel, according to Belgian TV

so a touch under 5%, not around 10% like real BELGIAN beer.

Tim McNamara

Jul 22, 2006, 11:54:02 AM7/22/06
Lots of the microbrews just try too hard to be innovative and different,
and end up spoiling the product IMHO. Far too many US microbrews are
treacly sweet, which is just wrong in a beer.

Gimme a Guinness. Or a Stella Artois. I'm happy.

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 22, 2006, 1:25:48 PM7/22/06
On 22 Jul 2006 06:20:40 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<pe...@vecchios.com> wrote:

>Beer snobs. I lived in South Texas for 14 months and had many Pearl,
>LoneStar and didn't mind them at all...while guys would travel up to CO
>with an empty trailer, fill it with Coors and come back and sell it in
>a parking lot...for lots of $$-

Dear Peter,

Never touch the stuff myself, but "beer snob" rings true . . .

Whenever I visited my sister in Massachusetts in the 70's, I was
instructed to stuff as many cans of Coors as possible in my suitcase.

Radcliffe girls knew what Harvard boys really wanted.

Nowadays, I have friends who moved to Utah and were
shocked--shocked!--to find Mormons living there, as well as some odd
liquor laws. They're delighted with kind of stuff:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20020801/24464.html

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-001614.php

The ban against liquor ads with religious themes (aimed obviously at
Polygamy Porter) by the five Mormon members of the Utah Department of
Alcohol Beverage Control was reversed not because of any pesky First
Amendment conflict, but because the ban was voted on in a telephone
call, which violated Utah's open meetings law:

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen4/gen02319.htm

Polygamy Porter--Why Have Just One?
Honeys, Hand me a Polygamy Porter!
Take One Home for the Wives! [six-pack ad]

I don't drink, but I did get a handsome t-shirt out of it:

http://www.garypaulson.net/archives/polygamy-porter-why-have-just-one

None of my friends ever mentions how the stuff tastes, but I gather
that taste is not really the key point here.

Cheers (in a slightly different way),

Carl Fogel

G.T.

Jul 22, 2006, 4:24:54 PM7/22/06
Tim McNamara wrote:
> Lots of the microbrews just try too hard to be innovative and different,
> and end up spoiling the product IMHO. Far too many US microbrews are
> treacly sweet, which is just wrong in a beer.

There are not that many breweries doing fruit or sweet beers as their
main beer. At my local liquor store there are usually around 15 IPAs
and only 1 framboise. The rest are regular pale ales, brown ales,
porters, stouts, wheat beers, lagers, bocks, marzens, pils, and others.

If I can at least find Stone IPA or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I'm happy.

Patrick Lamb

Jul 22, 2006, 8:10:37 PM7/22/06
wrote:

>I guess beer tastes better when you sell it halfway around the world,
>eh?

Probably why Coors started selling to the east coast...

Email address works as is.

SYJ

Jul 22, 2006, 11:59:33 PM7/22/06

carl...@comcast.net wrote:

---snip---

> Polygamy Porter--Why Have Just One?
> Honeys, Hand me a Polygamy Porter!
> Take One Home for the Wives! [six-pack ad]

---/snip---

> Carl Fogel

Dear Carl,
Reading your post at the exact moment I was taking a pull off a
recently opened bottle of polygamy porter nearly caused me to spew said
beverage through my nose.

For the record, it's a pretty good porter - could be a bit smokier &
with just a hint more carmel (sweetness), but I'll drink it (in fact, I
just did).

SYJ

PS, this is the same company that dedicated 1st amendment lager to the
beer bilboard fiasco Carl noted, and came out with 'Unofficial 2002' to
protest IOC/Budweiser's hard line on claiming that anything claiming to
be the 'official beer' of games must indeed be paying for the
priviledge (as a further protest, the beermeister would follow the
clydsdales up & down main street in Park City with a wagon full of
beer, pulled by his dog).

carl...@comcast.net

Jul 23, 2006, 12:58:16 AM7/23/06

Dear SYJ,

"Utah brewer protests Clydesdale appearance "

A scheduled appearance by the Anheuser-Busch Cydesdales in Park City,
UT, recently incensed Greg Schiff, founder and president of the Schirf
Brewing Co. and operator of the Wasatch Brew Pub.

"It's a slap in our face," Schirf told the local media. Schirf has
been a visible local critic of what he sees as the corporatization of
the coming winter Olympics, and in particular, the dominant presence
of major sponsor Anheuser-Busch.

Schirf has also continued to bottle his "Wasatch Unofficial 2002 Amber
Ale", over the objections of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee.

"Yes, I realize the reality is that [Anheuser-Busch] is going to help
pay for the [Olympics] party," Schirf told the local press. "It is
just unfortunate that the city feels like they're obligated to let the
world's largest brewer pull off a publicity stunt outside the fence of
the Olympic venues. We provide jobs, we donate to nonprofits, we've
been here for years and now this huge competitor of ours is going to
come by our pub and leave horse manure on the doorstep. It adds insult
to injury."

Schirf attended a recent Park City Council meeting to object to
Anheuser-Busch's request for a permit to trot the Clydesdales and
their 100-year-old Studebaker delivery wagon through town. The Council
approved the allowance unanimously, but not before Schirf brought his
two Labrador dogs into the hearing, suggesting they be allowed to pull
a microbeer-laden toboggan up and down Main Street during the Games.
The council acceded to this request.

[A little wordplay follows, involving "dry run" and not allowing A-B
to "trample" on the local merchants.]

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_9_52/ai_71969348

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 23, 2006, 10:12:11 AM7/23/06

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Todd Tracy wrote:

> >>Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
> >>lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
> >>of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
> >>respect for Levi's choice.
> >

> > See my post...doin't mind SB...Sierra Nevada makes me gag.....
> >

> Are you really a chick?

Well I guess I'm a pussy for not being a freak about this or that
stoopid micobeer.. I guess I could hold my nose and choke down some of
the crappola you probably like to 'drink'...

I bet you ride an aluminum bike with package wheels and shitmaNO

Victor Kan

Jul 23, 2006, 10:15:57 AM7/23/06
Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:04:25 -0700, Mark Hickey <ma...@habcycles.com>
> wrote:
>>I guess beer tastes better when you sell it halfway around the world,
>>eh?

> Probably why Coors started selling to the east coast...

Can't have folks "bootlegging" it a la Smokey and the Bandit too often,
lest someone really get hurt out on the road.

G.T.

Jul 23, 2006, 12:59:30 PM7/23/06

I'll bet you love Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, and american cheese. In
fact, I'll bet that that's your favorite sandwich.

> I bet you ride an aluminum bike with package wheels and shitmaNO

Not entirely:

http://www.2fortheroad.net/soma3.jpg

Mark Hickey

Jul 24, 2006, 12:22:39 AM7/24/06
"Ron Ruff" <rruff...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yes... Aussie beer generally sucks (or it did last time I was there).

I'd tend to disagree with that statement, at least from my limited
perspective (I'm sure I left more than a few of the Aussie brews
unsampled). Toohey's (sp?) old style was one of my favorites, and
ranked right up there with some of my favorite beers.

Aussie wine was also a very pleasant surprise. I found that if I
spent the equivalent of US$5 on a bottle, it was a nice bottle of
wine. US$10 and it was a really nice bottle. US$15 and it would
bring a tear to my eye.

>It's as bad as idiots in the US thinking there is a substantial
>difference between Coors, Bud, Miller, etc...

Well, there IS the color of the can (and the race cars they sponsor).
That should count for something!

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 24, 2006, 9:15:55 AM7/24/06

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:

> >>Are you really a chick?
> >>

> > Well I guess I'm a pussy for not being a freak about this or that
> > stoopid micobeer.. I guess I could hold my nose and choke down some of
> > the crappola you probably like to 'drink'...
>
> I'll bet you love Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip, and american cheese. In
> fact, I'll bet that that's your favorite sandwich.
>

> > I bet you ride an aluminum bike with package wheels and shitmaNO
> >

> Not entirely:
>
> http://www.2fortheroad.net/soma3.jpg
>
> Greg

What's wrong with Wonder Bread and american cheese?? Helps build strong
bodies 12 ways ya know....I like it with Kraft sandwich spread
tho...and chase it with a Fosters, 3-X, Peroni or Mickeys' big
mouth.......Hope ya ride yer rig tho...not just pose with it....Nice
SUV BTW-how do ya like the price of gas???

Mark Hickey

Jul 24, 2006, 9:53:51 AM7/24/06
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote:

>What's wrong with Wonder Bread and american cheese?? Helps build strong
>bodies 12 ways ya know....I like it with Kraft sandwich spread
>tho...and chase it with a Fosters, 3-X, Peroni or Mickeys' big
>mouth......

I hear that's what Landis had for breakfast before his Stage 17
comeback.

G.T.

Jul 24, 2006, 4:07:17 PM7/24/06

> What's wrong with Wonder Bread and american cheese?? Helps build strong
> bodies 12 ways ya know....I like it with Kraft sandwich spread
> tho...

Yum.

> and chase it with a Fosters, 3-X, Peroni or Mickeys' big
> mouth.......

Even yummier.

> Hope ya ride yer rig tho...not just pose with it....Nice
> SUV BTW-how do ya like the price of gas???

It's fine. I ride my bike to work and use the SUV to get away from work on
the weekends as in that picture.

Greg

data...@yahoo.com

Jul 24, 2006, 6:00:29 PM7/24/06
gerolsteiner!

Jay Beattie

Jul 24, 2006, 8:03:31 PM7/24/06

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

<snip>

> I bet you ride an aluminum bike with package wheels and shitmaNO

I ride a CanNOndale with ShimaNO components. I used to ride CampagNOlo
components on a custom ReyNOlds frame, but it broke -- so did my custom
SP frame(s). Don't you have a NObilette frame with CampagNOlo
components? No? -- Jay BEattie.

Michael Press

Jul 25, 2006, 12:02:51 AM7/25/06
In article
<1153746955.8...@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote:

> What's wrong with Wonder Bread and american cheese?? Helps build strong
> bodies 12 ways ya know....I like it with Kraft sandwich spread
> tho...and chase it with a Fosters, 3-X, Peroni or Mickeys' big
> mouth.......Hope ya ride yer rig tho...not just pose with it....Nice
> SUV BTW-how do ya like the price of gas???

You have no use for the micro breweries, while I have.
Still, I think that Mickeys' is better than most beers,
regardless of origin, price, or reputation. It is a good
honest pilsner with a respectable alcohol content.

--
Michael Press

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 25, 2006, 8:45:49 AM7/25/06

hmmmm, i ride my bike on the weekends to get away...not in a great big
gass guzzling vehicle first.....are you sure you aren't a RN???

G.T.

Jul 25, 2006, 1:40:30 PM7/25/06
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Registered Nurse?

You must have an awfully myopic view of our great country if you're
limited to a 200 mile radius of your hometown on the weekends.

yoBob

Jul 25, 2006, 6:27:41 PM7/25/06

 A guess from a micro-loving, suburban-Philadelphian: something from Stouts Brewery which is not far from Floyds' Lancaster County home.

And for once and for all...Mennonite not= Amish.  They are ethnically, culturally and religiously similar.  However, Mennonites are generally more permissive (modern) than the Amish.

R Brickston

Jul 25, 2006, 8:03:53 PM7/25/06
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:27:41 GMT, "yoBob" <peda...@verizon.net>
wrote:

> A guess from a micro-loving, suburban-Philadelphian: something from
>Stouts Brewery which is not far from Floyds' Lancaster County home.
>
>And for once and for all...Mennonite not= Amish. They are ethnically,
>culturally and religiously similar. However, Mennonites are generally
>more permissive (modern) than the Amish.

I know they have cars, but IIRC, they had to be black and they painted
all the chrome and other shiny parts to match.

Jay Beattie

Jul 25, 2006, 10:40:14 PM7/25/06

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >>"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote in message

> >>Yum.

> >>Even yummier.

> >>It's fine. I ride my bike to work and use the SUV to get away from work on
> >>the weekends as in that picture.
> >>
> >>Greg
> >

> > hmmmm, i ride my bike on the weekends to get away...not in a great big
> > gass guzzling vehicle first.....are you sure you aren't a RN???
>
> Registered Nurse?
>
> You must have an awfully myopic view of our great country if you're
> limited to a 200 mile radius of your hometown on the weekends.

Listen, Jesus never rode more than 30 miles from Nazareth. Are you
calling Jesus myopic?

A 200 mile radius will get me to the coast and back, to the top of the
Cascades, down the Columbia Gorge -- a lot of incredible scenery. That
is not to say that I do not take my car and bike places -- particularly
since a 200 mile radius is more than I want to do these days.

BTW, in a ten mile radius, I have probably 20 microbreweries. See
http://www.oregonbeer.org/mapport.html . They might not be up to
Peter's standards, but they are pretty good. -- Jay Beattie.

PS -- Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale. The best. Taking my bike to the
coast this weekend in a car with my family to get it on tap at the
brewery in Newport.

G.T.

Jul 26, 2006, 12:10:02 AM7/26/06

But you don't have the Rockies, the Sierras, or Utah in that radius.

> BTW, in a ten mile radius, I have probably 20 microbreweries.

That's probably a better criteria.

> See
> http://www.oregonbeer.org/mapport.html . They might not be up to
> Peter's standards, but they are pretty good. -- Jay Beattie.

Beer lovers paradise, at least in the States.

> PS -- Rogue Brewery Dead Guy Ale. The best. Taking my bike to the
> coast this weekend in a car with my family to get it on tap at the
> brewery in Newport.

Nice. Definitely one of the ales I pick up now and then.

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 26, 2006, 8:48:02 AM7/26/06

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >>"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote in message

> >>Yum.

> >>Even yummier.

> >>It's fine. I ride my bike to work and use the SUV to get away from work on
> >>the weekends as in that picture.
> >>
> >>Greg
> >

> > hmmmm, i ride my bike on the weekends to get away...not in a great big
> > gass guzzling vehicle first.....are you sure you aren't a RN???
>
> Registered Nurse?
>
> You must have an awfully myopic view of our great country if you're
> limited to a 200 mile radius of your hometown on the weekends.
>
> Greg

20 years as a USN fighter pilot, 17 address in 20 years. have lived on
both coasts, including gulf coast, including 30 months in Japan...don't
need to drive around to see what a 'great; country it is...The
"Republic of Boulder' and it's county suits me fine plus I can use that
$30 for a tank of gold to buy a new tire.

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 26, 2006, 8:48:49 AM7/26/06

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >>"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <pe...@vecchios.com> wrote in message

> >>Yum.

> >>Even yummier.

> >>It's fine. I ride my bike to work and use the SUV to get away from work on
> >>the weekends as in that picture.
> >>
> >>Greg
> >

> > hmmmm, i ride my bike on the weekends to get away...not in a great big
> > gass guzzling vehicle first.....are you sure you aren't a RN???
>
> Registered Nurse?

Red Neck

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 26, 2006, 8:50:29 AM7/26/06

Yep, I fond that out 5 times last night....

> --
> Michael Press

bdb...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 9:56:16 AM7/26/06

Kevin wrote:
> SYJ wrote:
> > My old man grew up in TX...after he saw me sucking down a Shiner Bock
> > one day (pre Armstrong TdF era), he told me that he and his buddies
> > drank Shiner back in the day - but only if they couldn't afford Lone
> > Star (This is much funnier if you've ever had the misfortune of tasting
> > Lone Star in a can).
> >
> > SYJ
> >

> This one time, at a chili cook off in La Grange, I remember digging thru
> the cooler HOPING to find a Lone Star Light! (Light is MUCH worse than
> regular Lone Star). The only other choice was Buckhorn. If you haven't
> tasted either imagine Pabst/Iron City/Falstaff that had been sitting in
> a hot warehouse for a couple of years.
>
> Hey, it's their own fault for letting (making) a broke guy (me) buy the
> beer.
>
> I apologized for years, I don't think the rest of the cook off team ever
> forgave me.

It was a great day in the City of Pittsburgh when Tom Pastorius opened
the Penn Brewery (has it been 13 years already?). Microbreweries such
as The Foundry and Valhalla have come and gone, but one can still grab
a fine German meal of and wash it down with copious amounts of Penn
Dark.
Funny how much contract brewing for Sam Adams Iron City used to do.

-bdbafh

bdb...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 10:10:16 AM7/26/06

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Todd Tracy wrote:
> > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > > Ogrady's column reminded me to ask...Floyd said after he popped on the
> > > Wednesday stage, he just wanted a beer...wonder what he prefers??
> > >
> > > Now this is important TdF tech!!!!
> >
> > Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
> > lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
> > of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
> > respect for Levi's choice.
>
> See my post...doin't mind SB...Sierra Nevada makes me gag.....

Dumbass,

A brewery makes you gag?

Might you be referring to their Bigfoot Barleywine?
Porter?
Stout?
Pale Ale?
Brown Ale? (goes great with barbeque)
Celebration Ale? (seasonal)
Wheat?
Summer Ale?

S-N is not my favorite brewery by any means (that would be Stone
Brewery) but they put out decent stuff, across the board.

-bdbafh

bdb...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2006, 11:38:19 AM7/26/06

bdb...@gmail.com wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Todd Tracy wrote:

> > > Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
> > > lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
> > > of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
> > > respect for Levi's choice.
> >
> > See my post...doin't mind SB...Sierra Nevada makes me gag.....
>
> Dumbass,
>
> A brewery makes you gag?

-- A brewery makes you gag?

Actually, the Budweiser plant new Newark Airport makes me gag.

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jul 27, 2006, 9:23:02 AM7/27/06

bdb...@gmail.com wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Todd Tracy wrote:

> > > Don't know about Floyd, but I have heard that Lance Armstrong (like a
> > > lot of Texans) prefers Shiner Bock, while Levi Leipheimer (like a lot
> > > of Californians) prefers Sierra Nevada. I must say I have much more
> > > respect for Levi's choice.
> >
> > See my post...doin't mind SB...Sierra Nevada makes me gag.....
>
> Dumbass,
>
> A brewery makes you gag?

How about anything from the brewery makes me gag...clear it up for
you????

dusto...@mac.com

Jul 27, 2006, 10:34:49 AM7/27/06

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> How about anything from the brewery makes me gag...clear it up for
> you????

My usual is SN Pale. Seems kinda variable; maybe it's just me but there
have been samples where if that had been my first SNP, it would have
been the last. Their Stout, I've tried a couple of times. An insult to
the name.

Mickey's? It's been 20 years, or more. You're up! --D-y

* * Chas

Aug 1, 2006, 12:40:06 AM8/1/06

<bdb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It's 20 years 1986-2006!

My grandfather was a cooper (barrel maker) at the old E&O Brewery
(Eberhardt & Ober Brewing) until prohibition: "Drink E & O Early and
Often".

The E&O Brewery building remained vacant for many years until it opened
in 1986 as Penn Brewery. They are pretty unique among microbreweries as
they produce pilsners vs. ales. They make some very good German style
beers and great food also.

Out here on the left coast Sam Adams ran a bunch of BS ads claiming that
most breweries spill more beer than Sam Adams makes - probably very
true!

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. makers of IRON CITY has produced about 99% of the
blue label Sam Adams Boston Lager. Portland's Henry Weinhard
(Blitz-Weinhard) and Genesee Brewing Company in New York State make the
Sam Adams red and green label beers, I can't remember which is which but
read the labels.

Chas.