100% Wooden Bicycle

Anthony DeLorenzo

Jan 23, 2008, 1:06:46 PM1/23/08
Wow... Everything is made from only wood and glue, including the chain
and even a freewheel:

http://www.leevalley.com/newsletters/Woodworking/2/3/article1.htm

Probably not a practical bicycle but quite a piece of woodworking for
a 16-year old.

Regards,
Anthony

lime...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2008, 1:33:17 PM1/23/08
On Jan 23, 12:06 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo <anthony.delore...@gmail.com>
wrote:

That is a young man that really has the potential to go somewhere with
his life.

I enjoyed reading the writeup, too.

Thanks.

Lewis.

*****

carl...@comcast.net

Jan 23, 2008, 2:21:03 PM1/23/08

Dear Anthony,

A previous 25-cent version of the wooden bicycle was built in 1896 by
a 14-year-old boy with less impressive woodworking tools and skills.

A perforated leather belt and some sort of sprockets had to be added,
but otherwise the two-bit bike pleased the editors of "Scientific
American," who rode it up and down the office:
http://i15.tinypic.com/6jyivz4.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Ron George

Jan 23, 2008, 2:50:20 PM1/23/08
On Jan 23, 2:21 pm, carlfo...@comcast.net wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:06:46 -0800 (PST), Anthony DeLorenzo

Carl,

I'm amazed that they used leather belts back then... belt drives are
slowly creeping into the industry in single speed applications.
However, this looks more sound than having a wooden belt in the
previous case. I wonder how much Marco Facciola (sounds Italian) rode
on it.

Ron
http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com

Ron George

Jan 23, 2008, 2:54:43 PM1/23/08

Not to forget mentioning that the boy must have been really skilled to
crave the chain links to dimension, and replicate a lot of them.
Cool...

Tom Nakashima

Jan 23, 2008, 3:10:00 PM1/23/08

"Ron George" <ron.r....@gmail.com> wrote in message

I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.
-tom

Leo Lichtman

Jan 23, 2008, 3:42:40 PM1/23/08

"Tom Nakashima" wrote: I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Come on! If you want to start a war, why don't you ask whether he wore a
wooden helmet?

Tom Nakashima

Jan 23, 2008, 3:56:44 PM1/23/08

"Leo Lichtman" <l.lic...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Did he wear a wooden helmet?
Don't take any wooden nickels Leo ;-)
-tom

A Muzi

Jan 23, 2008, 5:04:12 PM1/23/08

Tom Nakashima wrote:
> I take it chainlube wouldn't work in this case.

Is there a 12-step program for those who crave chain links?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

sergio

Jan 23, 2008, 6:59:44 PM1/23/08
On 23 Gen, 20:50, Ron George <ron.r.geo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder how much Marco Facciola (sounds Italian) rode
> on it.

Yes, it is an Italian name.

I wonder what woodworking tools, what woods and what glues he has
used. Is there a more detailed account of it, or Marco's @-mail
address to ask him?
And, boy, that bike has got to be noisy to ride.

By the way, what brake blocks, or coaster brake, did he install?
Have I missed the details.

Just prior to WWII a very expert cabinet maker in my hometown made an
(almost all) wooden bike which he actually rode around town quite a
while, as my father told me. I have been able to admire that bike a
few years ago: a wonderful achievement, but he was a very refined
professional of the art.

Sergio
Pisa