Caution signs for cars at Stanford - yellow diamond shape w/bicycle sketch

me

Feb 24, 2010, 10:56:15 AM2/24/10

At this writing, there are no caution signs for cars at Stanford.
They should have been installed long ago. People should really be
shocked at this, given the obviousness of the need. Stanford pays all
kinds of vested interest employees huge salaries, including the
bicycle coordinator, campus police, dean of students, etc. And I'm
out there in the f*ing streets!

I posted the following comment under the Stanford Daily opinion Feb 22
"Befriend Your Brain", involving bicycle helmets. and at
paloaltoonline.com .

-----Forward-----

I am a person who is passing out my discount bike repair flyers to
some of the residences. I’ve worked on campus for many years on and
off, doing bicycle work and other kinds of work, often commuting on
bicycle.

On my bike repair web page, I mentioned that a few years ago I wanted
to get hired as the university’s bicycle coordinator, and that if I
had been hired, one of the things I’d have done would be to put up a
bunch of those yellow caution signs for cars to see with a sketch of a
bicycle. So instead of blaming the victims as a reaction to bike
accidents, let’s look at Stanford bicycle policy and policy makers a
little more critically.

I should say here that I believe students should wear a helmet. I wear
a bike helmet whenever I ride. I agree that a helmet at the bikeshop
for $20, partially subsidized by the university, is a good deal.

But as a homeless guy screwed over in the employment system, I can say
that helmet promotion needs to be something other than occupational
capital to paste over larger corruption. I’m tired of watching
carefully selected employees with prestigious resumes who “got there”
for all the wrong reasons and feel entitled to degrade and push out
others, like me, from the economy.

Here are other points I put on my flat tire web page about what I
would have done if I had been hired as the bicycle coordinator:

- The bicycle coordinator would become responsible for creating
standards for bikeshops doing business on campus.

- The University would not dictate or facilitate bike licensing.

- The cement things in White Plaza would never have been put there.

- The University would have purchased a couple tandem bicycles so the
visually disabled students could ride once in a while.

- I’d move the bicycle coordinator job away from the transportation
department and police department, or at least create a multi-
department standing committee.

Saying these things might not help my new bike repair business, but
it’s a way of opposing the system I disagree with that I’d be
contributing to.

-----End Forward----

jcdill

Feb 24, 2010, 12:24:57 PM2/24/10
me wrote:
> At this writing, there are no caution signs for cars at Stanford.

I find it strange that you think this is necessary.

Stanford is very bike friendly - it's much easier to get around on
campus with a bike than with a car. The campus has many roads that are
closed to cars, ample bike lanes, and a low speed limit for cars. There
is absolutely no need for additional visual litter (more signs),
uglyfying the beautiful campus.

> Saying these things might not help my new bike repair business,

Saying these things will NOT help your new bike repair business!

What will help your new bike repair business is to get that big chip off
of your shoulder. Instead of focusing all your energies on ranting
about the system, focus on providing excellent customer service. The
more you rant about the system the more you drive away people who might
want to be customers because what they want most of all is good service
on their bikes, not to listen to even more ranting about the system.
Someone who focuses on providing excellent customer service will thrive
even in an environment that is fraught with bureaucracy. Someone who
focuses on complaining about the bureaucracy can't also be focusing on
providing excellent customer service.

If you want your bike repair business to thrive, focus on your business.

jc

DougC

Feb 24, 2010, 8:13:39 PM2/24/10
On 2/24/2010 9:56 AM, me wrote:

> Here are other points I put on my flat tire web page about what I
> would have done if I had been hired as the bicycle coordinator:
>
> - The bicycle coordinator would become responsible for creating
> standards for bikeshops doing business on campus.
>
> - The University would not dictate or facilitate bike licensing.
>
> - The cement things in White Plaza would never have been put there.
>
> - The University would have purchased a couple tandem bicycles so the
> visually disabled students could ride once in a while.
>
> - I�d move the bicycle coordinator job away from the transportation

> department and police department, or at least create a multi-
> department standing committee.
>
> Saying these things might not help my new bike repair business, but
> it�s a way of opposing the system I disagree with that I�d be
> contributing to.
>
> -----End Forward----

You suck at bureaucratic jobs.

There's several objectives, in order of importance:
1) identify problems that need budget money to "solve", always ignoring
free or simple solutions
2) hire lots of personnel, and request pay raises because now you're now
managing so many personnel
3) make absolutely certain you /never/ solve any problems, but keep on
finding new ones, so you can keep doing #1 and #2 over and over.

Get it now?
No?
Well then forget it, because you're too honest for bureaucratic work.
;)
~

AMuzi

Feb 24, 2010, 8:38:54 PM2/24/10

"...a man at the Bureau of Indian Affairs crying. Reagan
asked what was wrong and he replied "My Indian died, that's
what's wrong. What the hell am I supposed to do now?"

http://www.scsuscholars.com/2009/02/in-lieu-of-doing-their-jobs-or-looking.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

datakoll

Feb 24, 2010, 9:41:54 PM2/24/10
new for an east coaster:

traffic lights around San Diego mounted 4-5 feet off ground, idea
is...

street signs in Covina mounted 4-5 feet off ground on grave monument
type concrete forms. wierd.
but SD's street's cracks are wicked.

me

Feb 25, 2010, 9:43:10 AM2/25/10

On Feb 24, 9:24 am, jcdill <jcdill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find it strange that you think (that caution signs are) necessary.

> Stanford is very bike friendly - it's much easier to get around on
> campus with a bike than with a car. The campus has many roads that are
> closed to cars, ample bike lanes, and a low speed limit for cars. There
> is absolutely no need for additional visual litter (more signs),
> uglyfying the beautiful campus.
>

> What will help ...... is to get that big chip off
> of your shoulder.....The
> more you rant about the system the more you drive away people Someone who

> focuses on complaining about the bureaucracy

> etc

I think the members of the bicycling newsgroups want a better
discussion than JC Dill wants to drag everyone down to.

If Tim May, the physicist from Intel in the other newsgroup
ba.mountain-folk is correct about her, then JC Dill would have praised
my posting if I were a female. The physicist is also a former
employment director at Intel. He has a lot of Usenet experience.
From my own knowledge, often the least qualified people are the first
to enter a discussion carrying a covert vendetta. When this type of
troll appears, it has a chilling effect on others who would otherwise
want to join an important discussion.

The recent news at Stanford is that a medical researcher from
Singapore died last week when his bicycle was hit by a car at
Stanford. He was thrown 128 feet from the point of impact. When
Singapore reads JC Dill's posting they are going to be horrified by
her callousness over his death, which may require an apology from our
ambassador.

They should be similarly disturbed by apologists for the Stanford
bureaucracy like the response in this thread by Mike Jacoubowsky in
ba.bicycles

Bad Idea

Feb 25, 2010, 2:01:56 PM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 7:43 am, me <dhm_at_best_dot_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the members of the bicycling newsgroups want . . .

I want to know how you know that people "feel entitled to degrade and
push out
others, like me, from the economy." Just curious.

Opus

Feb 26, 2010, 11:17:28 AM2/26/10

I can answer that one. There are people that think if you are in some
kind of group of which they do not approve, that you don't have a
right to earn a living, have health care or basically do anything
except die quietly. We even have people like that here on the
rec.bicycles.soc group. Those kinds of people are actually quite
common, the problem is when they get control of money and access to
employment, i.e. don't put people like that in HR jobs. Especially
don't put people like that in HR where they have final say in hiring
and firing.

In my own case I think people that have more than one DWI or a DWI
wreck with serious injury or fatality can die in jail.

Bad Idea

Feb 27, 2010, 2:46:40 PM2/27/10
On Feb 26, 9:17 am, Opus <opusthep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 1:01 pm, Bad Idea <w...@2die4.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 25, 7:43 am, me <dhm_at_best_dot_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I think the members of the bicycling newsgroups want . . .
>
> > I want to know how you know that people "feel entitled to degrade and
> > push out
> > others, like me, from the economy."  Just curious.
>
> I can answer that one. . .

Then please do.

me

Mar 3, 2010, 2:26:39 PM3/3/10
Usenet readers here may not be familiar with the Stanford campus so
I'll tell you that there are palm trees, bike/pedestrian paths, and
vegetation on both sides of Palm Drive.

Palm Drive heads towards the main campus Quad via "the Oval" where
many cars are parked. Parts of Palm Drive have bike lanes on the main
road. The speed limit is 25 mph.

A few days ago a letter to the Stanford Daily said that "traffic flow
on Palm Drive is an everyday hazard to cyclists." The author said
that last summer he got a broken shoulder from being struck by a car
at Arboretum Dr., and that he experiences many close calls at the Palm
Drive/Museum Way intersection where that other guy on a bicycle was
killed last month.

I posted a response:

-------

ok, there is a major problem with the Palm Drive at Arboretum
intersection.
What needs to be done there is this – cars have to be adequately
informed to yield to bikes and pedestrians on their right turns.
Driving west to the intersection, they have to be cautioned at least
100-200 feet from the intersection.

The pedestrian crosswalk which bikes also use needs a different signal
to replace the present push-button with the flashing hand. It needs to
be replaced with a “walk-countdown” signal, and maybe eliminate the
push-button in favor of an automatic “walk” signal.

Somebody recently put a couple caution signs there but they are
inadequate. The symbols are small, cryptic, and placed much too close
(20-25 feet) to the busy intersection in a way that drivers can not
spend any time deciphering them while entering the intersection.

Cars on Palm Drive that approach the Museum Way intersection should be
cautioned about bicycles with a yellow sign. This is where the student
was hit and killed by a car. There is no stop sign for the Palm
traffic which can go very fast from the east until they enter the
Oval.

Jym Dyer

Mar 4, 2010, 12:08:53 PM3/4/10
> Usenet readers here may not be familiar with the
> Stanford campus so I'll tell you that there are palm trees,
> bike/pedestrian paths, and vegetation on both sides of
> Palm Drive.

=v= The location of the recent fatality is easy to find with
Google Maps, and viewed with its Street View feature:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=palm+drive+and+museum+way,+palo+alto,+ca&sll=37.434488,-122.167025&sspn=0.020991,0.037637&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Palm+Dr+%26+Museum+Way,+Stanford,+Santa+Clara,+California&z=16

> Cars on Palm Drive that approach the Museum Way intersection
> should be cautioned about bicycles with a yellow sign. This
> is where the student was hit and killed by a car.

=v= I don't think signs are adequate. Palm Drive is a wide road
with uninterrupted sightlines, landscaped so as to widen the
vista even further (palms don't calm). Cars leave the freeway
onto a four-lane road for much of its length, which narrows only
slightly at the intersection with Campus Drive. The speed limit
is 25mph the entire way, but the road *appears* to be safer at
higher speeds, and nearly every motorist is going well over the
legal speed.

=v= Some variety of traffic-calming is needed here, particularly
south of Campus Drive where there's more foot traffic. I don't
mean signs and obstructions thrown here and there, that's not
calming; I mean measures to make the road "feel" right at lower
speeds, most particularly at intersections.
<_Jym_>

[I have removed rec.bicycles.tech and alt.society.homeless from
the Newsgroups: header, because this thread is totally off-topic
for them. I mean, seriously, c'mon!]

me

Mar 4, 2010, 2:42:15 PM3/4/10
On Mar 4, 9:08 am, Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
> > Usenet readers here may not be familiar with the
> > Stanford campus so I'll tell you that there are palm trees,
> > bike/pedestrian paths, and vegetation on both sides of
> > Palm Drive.
>
> =v= The location of the recent fatality is easy to find with
> Google Maps, and viewed with its Street View feature:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=palm+driv...

> > Cars on Palm Drive that approach the Museum Way intersection
> > should be cautioned about bicycles with a yellow sign. This
> > is where the student was hit and killed by a car.
>
> =v= I don't think signs are adequate.  Palm Drive is a wide road
> with uninterrupted sightlines, landscaped so as to widen the
> vista even further (palms don't calm).  Cars leave the freeway
> onto a four-lane road for much of its length, which narrows only
> slightly at the intersection with Campus Drive.  The speed limit
> is 25mph the entire way, but the road *appears* to be safer at
> higher speeds, and nearly every motorist is going well over the
> legal speed.
>
> =v= Some variety of traffic-calming is needed here, particularly
> south of Campus Drive where there's more foot traffic.  I don't
> mean signs and obstructions thrown here and there, that's not
> calming; I mean measures to make the road "feel" right at lower
> speeds,  most particularly at intersections.
>     <_Jym_>
>
> [I have removed rec.bicycles.tech and alt.society.homeless from
> the Newsgroups: header, because this thread is totally off-topic
> for them.  I mean, seriously, c'mon!]

I crossposted to rec.bicycles.tech because I know there are folks
there who would be interested in the topic who might not check the
other bicycle groups. I posted to the homeless newsgroup because I
founded it, I'm homeless, and employment corruption is the reason. I
wanted to expose some of the damage.

Back to the main topic, no traffic sign is completely adequate unless
it has an automatic Superman to emerge to prevent an accident.

Palm Drive does not connect to any freeway. It connects to an
intersection at El Camino Real which is 35 mph. Palm Drive used to be
35 mph many years ago. Now it is 25 mph. It is indeed a scenic road
that extends about a mile into the campus.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Mar 4, 2010, 3:59:24 PM3/4/10
"Jym Dyer" <j...@econet.org> wrote in message

>> Usenet readers here may not be familiar with the
>> Stanford campus so I'll tell you that there are palm trees,
>> bike/pedestrian paths, and vegetation on both sides of
>> Palm Drive.
>
> =v= The location of the recent fatality is easy to find with
> Google Maps, and viewed with its Street View feature:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=palm+drive+and+museum+way,+palo+alto,+ca&sll=37.434488,-122.167025&sspn=0.020991,0.037637&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Palm+Dr+%26+Museum+Way,+Stanford,+Santa+Clara,+California&z=16
>
>> Cars on Palm Drive that approach the Museum Way intersection
>> should be cautioned about bicycles with a yellow sign. This
>> is where the student was hit and killed by a car.
>
> =v= I don't think signs are adequate. Palm Drive is a wide road
> with uninterrupted sightlines, landscaped so as to widen the
> vista even further (palms don't calm). Cars leave the freeway
> onto a four-lane road for much of its length, which narrows only
> slightly at the intersection with Campus Drive. The speed limit
> is 25mph the entire way, but the road *appears* to be safer at
> higher speeds, and nearly every motorist is going well over the
> legal speed.
>
> =v= Some variety of traffic-calming is needed here, particularly
> south of Campus Drive where there's more foot traffic. I don't
> mean signs and obstructions thrown here and there, that's not
> calming; I mean measures to make the road "feel" right at lower
> speeds, most particularly at intersections.
> <_Jym_>

Looks to me like a road that begs for traffic circles. It sorta dead-ends
into the mother-of-all circles, but each of those intersections between the
campus and El Camino could easily accomodate one.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

me

Mar 8, 2010, 2:25:37 PM3/8/10
On Mar 4, 12:59 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> "Jym Dyer" <j...@econet.org> wrote in message

> >> Usenet readers here may not be familiar with the
> >> Stanford campus so I'll tell you that there are palm trees,
> >> bike/pedestrian paths, and vegetation on both sides of
> >> Palm Drive.
>
> > =v= The location of the recent fatality is easy to find with
> > Google Maps, and viewed with its Street View feature:
>
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=palm+driv...

> >> Cars on Palm Drive that approach the Museum Way intersection
> >> should be cautioned about bicycles with a yellow sign. This
> >> is where the student was hit and killed by a car.
>
> > =v= I don't think signs are adequate.  Palm Drive is a wide road
> > with uninterrupted sightlines, landscaped so as to widen the
> > vista even further (palms don't calm).  Cars leave the freeway
> > onto a four-lane road for much of its length, which narrows only
> > slightly at the intersection with Campus Drive.  The speed limit
> > is 25mph the entire way, but the road *appears* to be safer at
> > higher speeds, and nearly every motorist is going well over the
> > legal speed.
>
> > =v= Some variety of traffic-calming is needed here, particularly
> > south of Campus Drive where there's more foot traffic.  I don't
> > mean signs and obstructions thrown here and there, that's not
> > calming; I mean measures to make the road "feel" right at lower
> > speeds,  most particularly at intersections.
> >    <_Jym_>
>
> Looks to me like a road that begs for traffic circles. It sorta dead-ends
> into the mother-of-all circles, but each of those intersections between the
> campus and El Camino could easily accomodate one.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

I disagree. I prefer the least distracting, least imposing, least
insulting, least restrictive, and most uniform traffic regulation to
solve the problem.

A traffic circle would require additional lighting and signage anyway,
and I was reading a study that there are still plenty of bicycle
accidents associated with them.

Ben Pfaff

Mar 8, 2010, 3:08:36 PM3/8/10
me <dhm_at_be...@yahoo.com> writes:

> A traffic circle would require additional lighting and signage anyway,
> and I was reading a study that there are still plenty of bicycle
> accidents associated with them.

Palo Alto has a couple of traffic circles that always feel
positively dangerous to me. They have stop signs at two of the
four sides and no sign at all at the others.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Don Freeman

Mar 8, 2010, 3:38:00 PM3/8/10

To me, stop signs at traffic circles seem incongruous, either have one
or the other, but having a stop sign at a roundabout seems to defeat the
purpose.

--
-Don

www.cosmoslair.com

Jobst Brandt

Mar 8, 2010, 5:26:01 PM3/8/10
Don Freeman wrote:

>>> A traffic circle would require additional lighting and signage
>>> anyway, and I was reading a study that there are still plenty of
>>> bicycle accidents associated with them.

>> Palo Alto has a couple of traffic circles that always feel
>> positively dangerous to me. They have stop signs at two of the
>> four sides and no sign at all at the others.

> To me, stop signs at traffic circles seem incongruous, either have
> one or the other, but having a stop sign at a roundabout seems to
> defeat the purpose.

I think some of these road designers work from the following web site:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/523/video/anonuevo2008.asx

Jobst Brandt