Glimmer of hope - more human racing ?

Keith

May 25, 2008, 4:09:55 PM5/25/08
Is it me or does the field look more "human" on this year's giro,
apart from Sella maybe...

There is certainly no leader able to blow up the field like the Lance
"the man who ruined everythin" Armstrong could...and what's his name,
Rasmussen in the 2007 TDF and Basso in the 2006 Giro...

Seems to be a more even fight these days, with tough guys like Simoni
holding their own.

Ted van de Weteringe

May 25, 2008, 4:21:01 PM5/25/08
Keith schreef:

> Is it me or does the field look more "human" on this year's giro,
> apart from Sella maybe...

The Belgian commentators were talking about it: Menchov rode the fastest
ascent yesterday in 25:something, while Tonkov set the record in the
90s: quite a few minutes faster, 18:something if I remember correctly,
although that sounds a bit too much.

Keith

May 25, 2008, 4:25:48 PM5/25/08

Tonkov was certainly a big doper, but that sounds to be a very big
difference indeed ! Come to think of it last year's Giro was a bit
similar, the leaders were pretty close. The TDF would likely have been
the same if not for that asshole who got kicked out.

Message has been deleted

Keith

May 25, 2008, 6:39:37 PM5/25/08
>>Tonkov was certainly a big doper, but that sounds to be a very big
>>difference indeed ! Come to think of it last year's Giro was a bit
>>similar, the leaders were pretty close. The TDF would likely have been
>>the same if not for that asshole who got kicked out.
>
>And to think he will probably be riding the Olympics this year. Gotta
>love Kazakhstani nationalism.

Actually I was referring to Rasmussen, the Kazakh dopers of the 2007
TDF didn't really blow up the field, other than Vino on the ITT

Fred Fredburger

May 26, 2008, 12:54:58 PM5/26/08

Thanks for the memories. You're channeling Lafferty, circa July of 2006.
Good times!