Chad Gerlach

GoneBeforeMyTime

Oct 9, 2009, 3:29:18 PM10/9/09
Comeback cyclist returns to the streets..
http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294.html

Response of Cristian Fanini, in IE-8 the translate button renders pretty
good english.
http://www.ciclonews.it/news_scheda.php?id=19739

Tom Kunich

Oct 9, 2009, 3:46:20 PM10/9/09
"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroForums.com> wrote in message

How do you get this "translate button"?

GoneBeforeMyTime

Oct 9, 2009, 5:36:01 PM10/9/09

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

When you install IE-8, it will prompt you to add the function, or you can
add it later. When you enter a page that is not English, the buttons appear
to translate the page. It seems to work pretty good in Italian, better then
what translations sites offer. Google has the best rendition of the Italian
language I have seen. Usually babel translators do a very poor job of
rendering Italian, but they usually do French pretty well.

Translated from Ciclonews...

Dear Director,

as I have done with the site www.tuttobiciweb.it please publish this letter
because the story Gerlach is close to my heart since I have not been asked
before you put online news so delicate, I would now explain some important
moments of relapse of Chad Gerlach.

First the news that you have posted is incomplete, not because of you but of
Gazzetta.it which in my opinion deliberately omitted the entire section on
the position of our team and myself in this sad story (which at present is
that cyclingnews.com the Sacramento Bee, U.S. newspaper where the news was
taken).

I would like therefore to explain everything because I know I'm doing
everything in my power to help Chad.
It all started in early September when he should have been a regular at the
start with our team Univest Grand Prix in Pennsylvania. However, just three
days before our departure I received a e-mail in which he asked me to stay
home because his first daughter was born soon after. Since my time father of
a child of two and a half, I went in his shoes and I've no intention to
force him to run, so I told him that I disagreed with his own family.

I could never imagine that I was already lying and now I no longer even
since. At that moment because Chad had already left home, had already left
his girlfriend about to give birth and have lived under a bridge.

I have always believed that everything was fine because I was sending
constant e-mails in which even asked me to extend my contract for next year
because it had also received proposals from other teams not only attractive
American (something which I was very proud of it) . Again, everything went
according to our programs and he would have had to run to Las Vegas in the
U.S. Final Crit (race spectacular that closes the show each year Interbike).
About ten days before this race I try to call him repeatedly to tell the
program but the phone was constantly switched off. Then I try with the mail,
addressed to both him and his girlfriend, sends the ticket to Las Vegas,
hotel and car vouchers, pay the registration, in fact I do everything I've
always done the normal administration . Even in this case, however, no one
answered. Trial and error like a madman, asking him to contact me.

Especially the fact that even his girlfriend did not answer puzzles me. My
concern to be honest was not addressed to Chad, because I never believed
such a thing because I repeat never gave us signals, even small, of a
relapse. I was worried because I was afraid that something bad had happened
to the child at that time was already due to be born.

Eventually, when most did not know what to think, I get (in the very same
day that should have been at the start of the criterium) a phone call from
our ds Gaggioli (which being his friend EC had proposed last October) and as
I had done in four to help him and similarly in those days had done
everything to find him, who tells me he received a short message on Facebook
mate Chad from which we stated that Chad had abandoned them, was again
depressed and relapsed into drugs and alcohol. At that moment, I collapsed
the world on him.

You can not imagine. I immediately put in touch with the leaders of the
television show Intervention last year Chad had taken off from the street
and taken to a detoxification clinic to see if they were aware of what had
happened but they were all in the dark . So I immediately put in telephone
contact with his father and with the family. His sister and brother told me
that Chad with his behavior has destroyed their family and they now no
longer intend to do anything for him.

But his father, as you can imagine desperate, I said that Chad had lied to
them all for months and none of them, although they had noticed his behavior
was not the same anymore, he thought the situation had degenerated until
after the day drunk had been stopped by police. After this incident Peter
Gerlach, her father tried to convince him to return to the community, but
after having initially accepted, only two days after he escaped and never
returned home. Will not talk to anyone, even it is not even gone to witness
the birth of his daughter and the only way to find it is to turn the streets
of Sacramento. Aware of all this my father told me and Gaggioli to fly the
United States to immediately return it to Italy, but not because we want to
retrieve the athlete, cycling has nothing to do with this thing and when
they hired a year ago we did so only to give him the chance to do the thing
I loved most, because this would certainly away from certain temptations.
Our goal was and still is to help the human being. Despite our insistence,
but Gerlach's father thanked us but asked to remain for the time in Italy
because Chad is in a psychological situation so critical that it could also
make things serious.

At this moment needs psychiatric care and to return to the community to
clean up. Our position at this moment is to help in any way Chad, with all
our might. Are in daily contact with his father, the only one that still
manages to communicate with him, which I shall regularly monitor his
condition. Again, I have spent entirely at the disposal of Gerlach family
for any kind of help you may need to save Chad and I am ready anytime to go
to Sacramento.

I respect the decision of Peter Gerlach and will be asked until I'll stay in
Italy, inter alia, by the news he gave me seems to have voluntarily decided
to return to this community and for the moment is the most important
victory. After that, I and Gaggioli fly in any case in America and try to
bring back to Italy. I know he wants to go racing again next year but now is
not important, we just want it back here, do it live in our retreat with the
other kids, making him stay away from anything that is permanently
destroyed, making him work with us regardless of the tasks and giving all
our moral and psychological support. Just as we have done until June, when
all was well. However to do this we need a sign of his good will would not
think it will be easy to recover this time.

Dear Editor, if I have not spoken to the press first the situation in Chad
Gerlach was solely to protect it. This is not about cycling, this is a man
fighting for his life and that is in a psychological situation so delicate
that it could degenerate at any one time. Chad is a very sensitive person,
perhaps the most sensitive I've ever known, is fragile, very intelligent,
and despite the situation in which it is informed. He did not even want to
talk to reporters of his city much less with the TV people who saved his
life, so what would think if I went out with a press release that he was
concerned? We do not know how he could react, to be honest do not even know
at this time.

Like all those who are in these situations, could also make something silly,
so why worsen a situation that in itself is already desperate? And if I
decided to respond right now is because the Sacramento Bee published an
article which you have published a part. Chad understands well enough the
Italian and continuously monitor all sites including ciclonews.it cycling,
so I hope you read this letter understand even more that we all, including
his teammates, the neighbors and we are ready for anything help in every
way.

Strength not to give up Chad!

We thank you for your cooperation and I offer cordial greetings to you and
all the editors ciclonews.it the signs of my highest consideration.
Cristian Fanini

PS -- We join the call by Cristian Fanini confident second miracle.
If we see Chad, strength, not give up now that the Gpm tree More than uro of
life is near. All you expect in Italy to continue to help. Do not throw away
your life!

Tom Kunich

Oct 9, 2009, 5:48:12 PM10/9/09
It looks like Chad prefers his own lifestyle. Whatever sort of hate these
people develop for themselves is entirely beyond me. One of my brothers had
the same problem and it ended the only way those things can - he developed
liver failure and eventually succumbed.

I would like Chad to recover but it doesn't sound likely to me.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Oct 9, 2009, 6:28:59 PM10/9/09

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Well, he did say one thing that makes sense. He said there was no money in
cycling, which I take to mean unless you are at the top levels. Most men and
women in cycling make nothing at all. Only the top players make good money,
and how many men and women is that really compared to thousands and
thousands who race worldwide. Its a very select group of players. However
since he finished fifth to Lance and lapped the fields in other races, it
sounds like the guy could make it into good earnings if he stuck with it.
Panhandling and living on the streets isn't much of a lifestyle, but that's
easy access to drugs and booze. He said he had one hell of a summer, but
Sacramento is hardly a great place to hang out. I once knew a rich guy who
lived in Montecito. I was over his house one day when he pulled a fist full
of change out of his pocket and flung it across the street. He remarked, I
would rather be a bum in Seaside Santa Barbara then a bum in the Central
Valley any day.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Oct 9, 2009, 6:42:27 PM10/9/09
"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroForums.com> wrote in message

That is one sad story. And there are so many ways to look at it. The
harshest being that Chad has manipulated his environment and sucked a lot of
people in, good people, who are throwing good efforts and money into a
cesspool from which there is no escape. But to give up on Chad, after all
this, is to give up hope. How do you know when the right time comes to give
up hope? Is there ever a right time?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

GoneBeforeMyTime

Oct 9, 2009, 9:03:42 PM10/9/09

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message

Unless he has it in his genes. I recently saw a report about how genes
change depending on how we live and what we eat and drink. I have an adopted
cousin back east who could never stop drinking. Turns out his original
parents were alcoholics but he never knew this, so he had this unseen force
in him driving him to drink whenever he could get his hands on the stuff.
Since Chad is a legend in his hometown as both a great bike rider and
someone who threw his racing career away on drugs and booze, its possible
that he got some bad genes handed to him, along with the bike racing genes.
I don't know his family history, but its just a guess. People born with that
can't just walk away or say no, its goes much deeper.

The sad part or the unfairness that comes to mind for me, is that Chad could
easily make much more money then Evelyn Stevens ever will, yet Stevens seems
to be having a great time, but with little pay to show for it.

P. Chisholm

Oct 10, 2009, 8:18:53 AM10/10/09

I think all of us probably have a friend or relative that has been in
this boat. They HAVE to want to get better before they will. I hope
for the best for Chad and others in this state but some will end up in
the obits, sad.

Anton Berlin

Oct 11, 2009, 11:09:31 AM10/11/09
On Oct 9, 5:28 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <F...@EuroForums.com> wrote:
> "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I think a lot of bums go to Utah and why not. If people are gullible
enough to believe that Joseph Smith crap they're pretty much suckers
for everything.

Terry

Oct 11, 2009, 11:16:40 AM10/11/09
Anton,

Unless you clean up your room you will not be going to Disneyland. Be sure
to recycle all those empty plastic lube containers. And put all the stacks
of pornography in the recycle bin too unless there's too much spunk on/in
them. By the way, your mother was going through your stuff and she found a
love letter with the following return address:

B--33920
P.O. Box 3476
Corcoran, CA 93212

Sincerely,
Your Father

Uncle Dave

Oct 11, 2009, 11:39:08 AM10/11/09
On Oct 9, 11:42 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "GoneBeforeMyTime" <F...@EuroForums.com> wrote in message

> > Comeback cyclist returns to the streets..
> >http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294.html
>
> > Response of Cristian Fanini, in IE-8 the translate button renders pretty
> > good english.
> >http://www.ciclonews.it/news_scheda.php?id=19739
>
> That is one sad story. And there are so many ways to look at it. The
> harshest being that Chad has manipulated his environment and sucked a lot of
> people in, good people, who are throwing good efforts and money into a
> cesspool from which there is no escape.

Actually, modern cesspits can be drained, so there is an escape. I
don't know about you, but I would have to be pretty fucking desperate
before I went looking for that escaped money...

UD

Oct 11, 2009, 11:52:12 AM10/11/09

I think Anton's room is in Texas.

Nick

Oct 11, 2009, 12:14:55 PM10/11/09
B-33920
P.O. Box 3476
Corcoran, CA 93212

This is the address for Charles Manson!

Donald Munro

Oct 11, 2009, 12:31:42 PM10/11/09
Nick wrote:
> B-33920
> P.O. Box 3476
> Corcoran, CA 93212
>

> This is the address for Charles Manson!

And just who did you think Magilla was ?

Anton Berlin

Oct 11, 2009, 12:42:44 PM10/11/09

Wow! you mormons really take it personally.

Paul G.

Oct 11, 2009, 12:48:19 PM10/11/09

Well said. That sums up the situation.
-Paul

Paul G.

Oct 11, 2009, 12:57:17 PM10/11/09
On Oct 9, 2:36 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <F...@EuroForums.com> wrote:

> I would like therefore to explain everything because I know I'm doing
> everything in my power to help Chad.
> It all started in early September when he should have been a regular at the
> start with our team Univest Grand Prix in Pennsylvania. However, just three
> days before our departure I received a e-mail in which he asked me to stay
> home because his first daughter was born soon after. Since my time father of
> a child of two and a half, I went in his shoes and I've no intention to
> force him to run, so I told him that I disagreed with his own family.
>
> I could never imagine that I was already lying and now I no longer even
> since. At that moment because Chad had already left home, had already left
> his girlfriend about to give birth and have lived under a bridge.

So- his relapse had nothing to do with racing, it had to do with being
at home. Eat my shorts, Schwartz.
-Paul