LeMond is lazy

Callistus Valerius

Dec 11, 2005, 7:45:10 AM12/11/05

Notice on this pic of Greg in 2004, that he isn't carrying anything on
his bike. Does he still expect someone to carry a spare tube for him? He's
in his 40's, but he looks like he's in his 60's. I've seen guys his age,
that look like Lance.

http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/Photos/RAMROD-2004/Greg%20LeMond%20at%20RA
MROD/slides/P7290006.html

Roy Scherer

Dec 11, 2005, 10:17:45 PM12/11/05
That boy be big ! Must be at least 210 lbs. I saw a "similiar" picture of
Ron Keifel. Mmmm Donuts.
"Callistus Valerius" <jazz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Scott

Dec 11, 2005, 10:28:04 PM12/11/05

Geez, the guy spend his entire teens and early adult years starving
himself (with the exception of a little ice cream that he was rumored
to enjoy from time to time) to maintain a competitive weight as a
competitive cyclist, and you expect him to worry about his weight now,
as if he's some blundering masters' fattie chasing after a delusion of
cycling greatness???

I don't give a damn if he hits 300#.

RicodJour

Dec 12, 2005, 12:48:37 AM12/12/05
Scott wrote:

> Geez, the guy spend his entire teens and early adult years starving
> himself (with the exception of a little ice cream that he was rumored
> to enjoy from time to time) to maintain a competitive weight as a
> competitive cyclist, and you expect him to worry about his weight now,
> as if he's some blundering masters' fattie chasing after a delusion of
> cycling greatness???

There's no middle ground? It's an either/or situation?

> I don't give a damn if he hits 300#.

Probably a good thing, at this rate.

Kurgan Gringioni

Dec 12, 2005, 12:51:41 AM12/12/05

Scott wrote:

> Geez, the guy spend his entire teens and early adult years starving
> himself (with the exception of a little ice cream that he was rumored
> to enjoy from time to time) to maintain a competitive weight as a
> competitive cyclist, and you expect him to worry about his weight now,
> as if he's some blundering masters' fattie chasing after a delusion of
> cycling greatness???
>
> I don't give a damn if he hits 300#.

Dumbass -

Ya, that's fucking great, the way so many of us Americans can't control
our appetites.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Scott

Dec 12, 2005, 7:57:16 AM12/12/05

Restated, I don't give a damn if he hits 300#, because it means nothing
to the relevancy of his cycling legacy. Doesn't really mean much about
how lazy, or not, he is, either.

B. Lafferty

Dec 12, 2005, 8:15:29 AM12/12/05

"Scott" <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Good point. Charlie Gaul was a bit rotund when he resurfaced and his legacy
was none the worse for it.

RicodJour

Dec 12, 2005, 10:16:31 AM12/12/05
Scott wrote:

> Restated, I don't give a damn if he hits 300#, because it means nothing
> to the relevancy of his cycling legacy. Doesn't really mean much about
> how lazy, or not, he is, either.

You don't believe there is a correlation between activity and the
amount of calories burned? One could say he's too lazy (inertia) to
stop the fork from hitting his mouth.

Tom Kunich

Dec 12, 2005, 12:21:23 PM12/12/05
You mean like you can't control being gay?

RicodJour

Dec 12, 2005, 1:22:22 PM12/12/05
Tom Kunich wrote:
> You mean like you can't control being gay?

No, being an optimist and striving to be happy is a conscious decision.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Diablo Scott

Dec 12, 2005, 1:52:10 PM12/12/05
Looks like an "EATSTRONG" bracelet he's wearing... possibly edible.

Tom Kunich

Dec 12, 2005, 2:40:00 PM12/12/05
For some reason Google seems to have ceased referencing the posting
you're responding to so you can't see that I was taking a pot shot at
Henry.

Marlene Blanshay

Dec 12, 2005, 2:56:10 PM12/12/05

I don't think he looks that bad... listen, he has nothing left to prove.
He won three tours, world champ, let the guy stuff his face if he wants.

RicodJour

Dec 12, 2005, 3:12:35 PM12/12/05
Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> I don't think he looks that bad... listen, he has nothing left to prove.
> He won three tours, world champ, let the guy stuff his face if he wants.

Where's the fun in that?

It's the contrast between the ultra-lean, ultra-fit person we all
remember and whoever the new guy is.

When I was a young punk (20-mumble-mumble-years-ago) I once encountered
a couple of older guys out for their Sunday ride. These guys were in
their sixties at least, fit and lean, tricked out with beautiful bikes,
jersies and effortless pedaling style. At that age I was thinking
people over thirty were getting ready to die (or should), then I saw
these guys. It filled me with joy to think that there was a chance
that I could be as cool as those guys when I was their age.

I think it's called a role model.

mrsixtypercent

Dec 12, 2005, 3:30:23 PM12/12/05

Looks like he found something edible stuck to his shoe -
http://tinyurl.com/bnana

But seriously, I'm happy that he's happy in his retirement.

Kurgan Gringioni

Dec 12, 2005, 4:24:01 PM12/12/05

Dumbass -

Racers who are happy in retirement don't talk about virtual victories.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

ronaldo_jeremiah

Dec 12, 2005, 5:38:07 PM12/12/05
Dumbass -

I know how antifat you are and I tend to agree with you. But can't you
distinguish between someone who takes the liberty of gaining a little
weight because he likes the finer things in life (and maybe also
because he spent most of his life pursuing an athletic ideal and
welcomes the change in lifestyle), and the 270-lb secretary who eats a
bag of pork rinds for lunch because they are Atkins-legal?

-RJ

B. Lafferty

Dec 12, 2005, 6:04:17 PM12/12/05

"ronaldo_jeremiah" <ronaldo_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Don't forget the pickled pig lips.

Phil Holman

Dec 12, 2005, 9:52:08 PM12/12/05

"mrsixtypercent" <mrsixty...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Looks like he found something edible stuck to his shoe -
> http://tinyurl.com/bnana

Great signature photo with the tongue stuck out (for balance?).

Phil H

Roy Scherer

Dec 12, 2005, 10:02:44 PM12/12/05
Let us know how you control it, Thomas.
"Tom Kunich" <cycl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Förster vom Silberwald

Dec 13, 2005, 5:01:22 AM12/13/05
Last year I saw a picture of the great Eddy Merckx. What to say he
looks similar to Greg.

It is not uncommon for famous athlets to get bigger in diamter when
time passes by.

Schneewittchen

Steven L. Sheffield

Dec 13, 2005, 8:01:09 AM12/13/05
On 12/13/2005 03:01 AM, in article
1134465899....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Förster vom
Silberwald" <chain...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yeah .. Eddy's freakin' huge!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/mar05/coppibartali05/st
age1a/36

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/jul05/neuss05/EK_nuess_
eddy

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=photos/2005/news/nov05/nov13news/giro
_pres005

He's almost in racing trim ... like Felice Gimondi ...

Hmmm ... Be interesting to see the two of them come back and show the
young'uns a thing or two ...

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Victor Kan

Dec 13, 2005, 8:03:28 AM12/13/05
Förster vom Silberwald wrote:
> Last year I saw a picture of the great Eddy Merckx. What to say he
> looks similar to Greg.

You're probably thinking of this Eddy:

http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tmoteam/de/property=blobBinary/id=16284.jpg

But I believe Eddy's lost the beer gut and now looks more similar to
Lance than Greg:

http://morgenpost.berlin1.de/images/2005/07/25/sport/103973_normal.jpg

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

Bob Schwartz

Dec 13, 2005, 9:09:06 AM12/13/05
It's hard to believe a fatty master troll could have
this much success. But then it is the off-season.

It's too bad I didn't think of this earlier, I could
have posted a picture of the Fatty Master Breakfast of
Champions, leftover pizza (pepperoni and feta).

Bob Schwartz

John Rees

Dec 13, 2005, 12:01:53 PM12/13/05
Scott wrote:

> Geez, the guy spend his entire teens and early adult years starving
> himself (with the exception of a little ice cream that he was rumored
> to enjoy from time to time) to maintain a competitive weight as a
> competitive cyclist, and you expect him to worry about his weight now,
> as if he's some blundering masters' fattie chasing after a delusion of
> cycling greatness???
>
> I don't give a damn if he hits 300#.

I guess, to me, the shock is the overall fredliness the champ has taken
on. It looks like he even was wearing mtb shoes for chrissakes. Of
course, I guess it makes sense for a social ride of that type, but it,
the fred jersey, the fred shoes the fredly looking helmet and the spare
tire just make me wish I had never seen those photos. I need to hit
google images for a nice shot of the champ putting the hurt on his
rivals in the alps.

Tom Kunich

Dec 13, 2005, 3:28:27 PM12/13/05
Try pricing one of those "fred" helmets. It's a Catlike.

Greg is getting fat. No doubt about it. So what? Did you see Eddy
Merckx a couple of years ago before the docs told him he better lose
weight or turn the business over to Axel soonest? Give Greg a chance to
look in the mirror and actually observe what 20 years of Minnesotta
food is doing to him. Remember that he's a California boy and used to
eat healthy food before having his head turned by a bossy and pretty
woman.

Carl Sundquist

Dec 13, 2005, 3:42:52 PM12/13/05

"Tom Kunich" <cycl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Give Greg a chance to
> look in the mirror and actually observe what 20 years of Minnesotta
> food is doing to him. Remember that he's a California boy and used to
> eat healthy food before having his head turned by a bossy and pretty
> woman.

Are you actually blaming his wife for his girthiness?

Mad Dog

Dec 13, 2005, 6:41:30 PM12/13/05
Tom Kunich says...

>Give Greg a chance to look in the mirror and actually observe what
>20 years of Minnesotta food is doing to him.

Is Minnesotta a combination of Minnesota and Serotta?

>Remember that he's a California boy and used to eat healthy food before
>having his head turned by a bossy and pretty woman.

Ha! In his prime he talked about how he could eat anything - hot dogs, burgers,
tacos, etc. - and none of it affected his performance (or so he said). I still
have a few Lemond Taco Hell water bottles.

Phil Holman

Dec 13, 2005, 7:27:44 PM12/13/05

"John Rees" <jr...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

> Scott wrote:
>
>> Geez, the guy spend his entire teens and early adult years starving
>> himself (with the exception of a little ice cream that he was rumored
>> to enjoy from time to time) to maintain a competitive weight as a
>> competitive cyclist, and you expect him to worry about his weight
>> now,
>> as if he's some blundering masters' fattie chasing after a delusion
>> of
>> cycling greatness???
>>
>> I don't give a damn if he hits 300#.
>>

> I guess, to me, the shock is the overall fredliness the champ has
> taken on. It looks like he even was wearing mtb shoes for chrissakes.
> Of course, I guess it makes sense for a social ride of that type,

It was RAMROD: Ride Around Mt Rainier in One Day. 140 miles and 10,000ft
of climbing. If he did the whole ride, it ain't no social outing.

Phil H

William Asher

Dec 13, 2005, 7:51:00 PM12/13/05
Phil Holman wrote:

<snip>

RAMROD is 154 miles for the "original" course up to Paradise and then over
Cayuse Pass. The idiot option includes a short side trip up Chinook Pass
once you get to the top of Cayuse. But it is not a trivial one-day ride.

Besides, he doesn't look all that bad in some of the other pictures.

--
Bill Asher

William Asher

Dec 13, 2005, 7:52:37 PM12/13/05
William Asher wrote:

Phil:

After re-reading my post, I just want to make it clear I am agreeing with
you, not arguing.

--
Bill Asher

Bill C

Dec 13, 2005, 8:05:55 PM12/13/05
Bill, I'd bet that a 100lbs overweight Lemond could still ride just
about everybody here off his wheel if he wanted to. I just wish he
didn't seem to be so jealous and bitter. Shit you can't change what the
other guys do, especially after you're done competing. Greg had to put
up with some real shit, and handled it pretty well IMO despite what
seems to be the prevailing Euro opinion that he's a whiner. He's not
helping wipe out that impression.
Bill C

William Asher

Dec 13, 2005, 8:22:47 PM12/13/05
Bill C wrote:

Yeah. He looks happy riding around though. And even if the general public
doesn't know who he is or remember the Lemond Screaming photo finish,
cycling folks do. Maybe he'll realize that as he gets older, that to those
who know cycling, he was great (at least to us Americans, you euro-folks
can go on thinking some guy with a name like Marcellielo Fanceepants was
better if you want to, but you're all essentially asian and living in
Paris).

--
Bill Asher

Tom Kunich

Dec 13, 2005, 10:30:27 PM12/13/05
"Carl Sundquist" <car...@cox.net> wrote in message

No, I'm blaming mid-western food and a good wife.

Tom Kunich

Dec 13, 2005, 10:30:27 PM12/13/05
"Bill C" <trito...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Bill, I'd bet that a 100lbs overweight Lemond could still ride just
> about everybody here off his wheel if he wanted to. I just wish he
> didn't seem to be so jealous and bitter. Shit you can't change what the
> other guys do, especially after you're done competing. Greg had to put
> up with some real shit, and handled it pretty well IMO despite what
> seems to be the prevailing Euro opinion that he's a whiner. He's not
> helping wipe out that impression.

Yeah, my only complaint about Greg is that he did seem to be upset a lot
about Lance. But we have to remember that Greg was a HUGE whiner from the
beginning. You just have to like him in spite of that flaw.

John Everett

Dec 14, 2005, 1:47:46 PM12/14/05
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:17:45 -0500, "Roy Scherer"
<h90...@hotmail.commie> wrote:

>That boy be big ! Must be at least 210 lbs. I saw a "similiar" picture of
>Ron Keifel. Mmmm Donuts.

Anyone else notice that he appears to be totally cross-chained?

Diablo Scott

Dec 14, 2005, 4:11:11 PM12/14/05
"Tom Kunich" <cyclin...@yahoo.com> wrote

Try pricing one of those "fred" helmets. It's a Catlike.

Looks like a Briko to me. Cipo used to wear one like that on Acqua e
Sappone

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2002/mar02/milansanremo/FScipowin2.jpg

Tom Kunich

Dec 14, 2005, 4:54:16 PM12/14/05
Mea Culpa - you're right.

Tom Kunich

Dec 14, 2005, 4:54:20 PM12/14/05

Donald Munro

Dec 15, 2005, 3:10:14 AM12/15/05

Diablo Scott wrote:
> Looks like a Briko to me. Cipo used to wear one like that on Acqua e
> Sappone

I used to have one of those Briko twinner helmets until I totally
totalled it in a crash and the section around the ear splintered and ended
up cutting off half my ear.

Bob Schwartz

Dec 15, 2005, 11:07:07 AM12/15/05
Donald Munro wrote:
> I used to have one of those Briko twinner helmets until I totally
> totalled it in a crash and the section around the ear splintered and ended
> up cutting off half my ear.

So you're saying the helmet made your head more aero?

Bob Schwartz

Philip W. Moore, Jr.

Dec 16, 2005, 12:24:55 AM12/16/05

"Scott" <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Restated, I don't give a damn if he hits 300#, because it means nothing
> to the relevancy of his cycling legacy. Doesn't really mean much about
> how lazy, or not, he is, either.

Well, we've got a Lemond fan in the midst, and a rational one at that. I
remember reading in Velonews somebody complaining about how fat Merckx was.
I remember thinking "who the hell cares?" The man won nearly a third of all
races he entered as a pro, IIRC. Lemond was no Merckx, but he was awesome,
and that's all that matters.

Bill C

Dec 16, 2005, 10:03:27 AM12/16/05
Damnit
You mean that you think it's OK to go ahead and relax, enjoy beer and
good food, and rest everything that aches and hurts after you got done
kicking ass for years? They're all supposed to stay focused, weigh and
plan all the food, maybe cut back to only 3 hours a day of training but
that's pushing it.
Living surrounded by great beer, pastries, food, and a culture based
on quality of life it's no real surprise that Eddy put on some pounds
for a while. What's more surprising to me is that more riders don't
struggle the way Jan does, especially right after retirement. After a
couple of decades of denying yourself all that stuff and working your
ass off it makes perfect sense to me that you would enjoy all the
things you'd missed, and so what if it packs on some pounds.
Bill C

Kyle Legate

Dec 17, 2005, 3:34:28 AM12/17/05
Carl Sundquist wrote:

> Are you actually blaming his wife for his girthiness?

I think he's just belly breathing in those photos.

Phil Holman

Dec 17, 2005, 12:01:35 PM12/17/05

"William Asher" <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

OK Bill. The year I did it the course was less than 150. IIRC the route
from the Enumclaw to the park was revised.

Phil H

don...@tricom.co.za

Dec 19, 2005, 9:20:28 AM12/19/05

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> So you're saying the helmet made your head more aero?

Only on one side. I considering adopting the Mancebo style to optimize
my
aerodynamics.

don...@tricom.co.za

Dec 19, 2005, 9:22:02 AM12/19/05
Bill C wrote:
> Living surrounded by great beer, pastries, food, and a culture based
> on quality of life it's no real surprise that Eddy put on some pounds
> for a while.

You forgot the waffles and the freedom fries with mayonnaise.

William Asher

Dec 19, 2005, 12:38:54 PM12/19/05
Phil Holman wrote:

Yeah, every so often they diddle the route. For a couple of years 410 was
closed and those years it was around 190 miles and 160 miles. The standard
course, starting from Enumclaw, through Orting, up to Paradise, and then
over Chinook and past Mud Mountain dam, is 155 miles.

It also is no longer run as a timed event. There were too many bozos doing
things like taking craps in yards along the way and abusing the national
park because they felt it was important to finish in 11 hours 15 minutes
instead of 11 hours and 40 minutes.

Did you see the guy with the croquet mallet on the way up to Paradise?

--
Bill Asher

Tom Kunich

Dec 19, 2005, 1:24:08 PM12/19/05
As I recall while Eddy DID put on a little weight it wasn't until he
hit his 50's that it got out of control and then his doctor stepped in
and he's a much smaller man now.

Greg will end up the same way. He's too much of an egotist to allow
himself to look like Porky Pig for too long.

Howard Kveck

Dec 19, 2005, 8:49:36 PM12/19/05
don...@tricom.co.za wrote:

You're afraid to go the full Pantani, aren't you?

--
tanx,
Howard

The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.