Ilan what's a good e-mail for you?

TritonRider

Nov 6, 2003, 10:32:59 PM11/6/03
My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.
Bill C

Kurgan Gringioni

Nov 7, 2003, 12:20:05 AM11/7/03

"TritonRider" <trito...@aol.com> wrote in message

> My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

Ewoud Dronkert

Nov 7, 2003, 4:16:53 AM11/7/03
On 07 Nov 2003 03:32:59 GMT, TritonRider wrote:
> My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

Google: http://cf.geocities.com/ilanpi/

Robert Chung

Nov 7, 2003, 5:04:48 AM11/7/03
TritonRider wrote:
> My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There must
be less extreme ways than that.

h squared

Nov 7, 2003, 6:38:16 AM11/7/03

how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the
main reason being that liking math and being good at math are not
exactly the same thing.

(a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely
keep up with the correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that
there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest person on rbr))

heather

Kurgan Gringioni

Nov 7, 2003, 11:12:14 AM11/7/03

"h squared" <peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > "TritonRider" <trito...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.
> >
> > Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.
>

> how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

You told me you were a math major via email.

TritonRider

Nov 7, 2003, 3:05:17 PM11/7/03
>From: h squared peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com

>ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the
>main reason being that liking math and being good at math are not
>exactly the same thing.
>
>(a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely
>keep up with the correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that
>there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest person on rbr))
>
>heather

How are you at discussing the various algorithms and approaches aimed at
finding the highest prime number. That was more or less what he "needed" to
discuss at 9pm last night while I was happily killing off brain cells by
watching the idiot box. Other times it's Fermat's last theorem, or "Goedel,
Escher, Bach", etc.. It's always vitaly important that we have these
discussions immediately when he comes up with an idea too. You never know where
they're going to go either, ususally I can follow about the first 5 minutes of
the conversation, then I end up saying OK a lot.
Gotta love today's teenagers.
Bill C

Peter Allen

Nov 7, 2003, 7:12:28 PM11/7/03

> >From: h squared peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com
>
> >ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the
> >main reason being that liking math and being good at math are not
> >exactly the same thing.
> >
> >(a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely
> >keep up with the correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that
> >there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest person on rbr))
> >
> >heather
>
> How are you at discussing the various algorithms and approaches aimed at
> finding the highest prime number.

I really hope you misunderstood what he was saying. Or that he was referring
to a particular finite subset of the primes.

> That was more or less what he "needed" to
> discuss at 9pm last night while I was happily killing off brain cells by
> watching the idiot box. Other times it's Fermat's last theorem, or
"Goedel,
> Escher, Bach", etc.. It's always vitaly important that we have these
> discussions immediately when he comes up with an idea too. You never know
where
> they're going to go either, ususally I can follow about the first 5
minutes of
> the conversation, then I end up saying OK a lot.
> Gotta love today's teenagers.
> Bill C

Point him at a website discussing Ramsey theory. If he's really interested
in maths he'll spend the next several days reading it and googling for more.

Peter

h squared

Nov 7, 2003, 7:08:59 PM11/7/03

but that was almost 3 years ago now. it's sweet you remember (not meant
to be sarcastic).

hh

h squared

Nov 7, 2003, 7:23:56 PM11/7/03

TritonRider wrote:

> >From: h squared peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com
>
> >ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the
> >main reason being that liking math and being good at math are not
> >exactly the same thing.
> >
> >(a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely
> >keep up with the correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that
> >there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest person on rbr))
> >
> >heather
>
> How are you at discussing the various algorithms and approaches aimed at
> finding the highest prime number.

terrible. i never studied any number theory at all, and now that i'm
old, i'm too dumb to learn it (i can learn new stuff, but it just flys
right out again after a day or two, and then i don't know it anymore).

(aside- there is no absolute highest prime number, as the number of
primes is
infinite, but i don't think that's what you meant anyway)

That was more or less what he "needed" to
> discuss at 9pm last night while I was happily killing off brain cells by
> watching the idiot box. Other times it's Fermat's last theorem, or "Goedel,
> Escher, Bach", etc.. It's always vitaly important that we have these
> discussions immediately when he comes up with an idea too. You never know where
> they're going to go either, ususally I can follow about the first 5 minutes of
> the conversation, then I end up saying OK a lot.
> Gotta love today's teenagers.
> Bill C

does he post to any math groups or anything like that? it's cool he gets
excited about that kind of stuff. hopefully ilan will drop you a line. i
haven't done any math since 1992, so it ain't false modesty when i say
that i'm no good at it.

heather

TritonRider

Nov 7, 2003, 8:17:41 PM11/7/03
>From: h squared peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com

>does he post to any math groups or anything like that? it's cool he gets
>excited about that kind of stuff. hopefully ilan will drop you a line. i
>haven't done any math since 1992, so it ain't false modesty when i say
>that i'm no good at it.
>
>heather

Not really that I know of, he does a lot of stuff with and for the Freenet
Project folks. They seem to be a similar lot. I was hoping that Ilan could
point him at some good boards and groups.
Bill C

TritonRider

Nov 7, 2003, 8:36:26 PM11/7/03
>From: "Peter Allen" petero...@hotmail.com

I really hope you misunderstood what he was saying. Or that he was referring
to a particular finite subset of the primes.

Point him at a website discussing Ramsey theory. If he's really interested

in maths he'll spend the next several days reading it and googling for more.

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure he'll be interested I'll send him to:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RamseyTheory.html
to start.
I guess what triggered last night had something to do new a new genetic
algorithm for discovering high primes efficiently
I think this is one of the studies he was looking at:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V0F-3VVCJW6-H&_
coverDate=07%2F22%2F1996&_alid=126056693&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&
_cdi=5645&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid
=10&md5=012fee36af66f0ad5a65abed75186405
and this site:http://www.geocities.com/arhuaco/gaca_interesting.html
Bill C

Tom Kunich

Nov 8, 2003, 12:01:25 AM11/8/03
R not

"h squared" <peckledoggyr...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

enoch

Nov 8, 2003, 5:14:40 AM11/8/03
trito...@aol.com (TritonRider) wrote in message news:<20031107201741...@mb-m28.aol.com>...

I'm not Ilan, but I do some math. Show him
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/riddles/intro.shtml

this is a page dedicated to riddles, general, from mathematics and
from CS. It has a forum with really bright people on it (last I saw).
The riddles are categorized, the general one into easy, medium and
hard. The hard ones should get him working for a while, there is at
least one or two which turned out to be equivalent to still unsolved
mathematical problems. ;)

It's not all mathematics, but I like the variety there.

TritonRider

Nov 8, 2003, 9:44:26 AM11/8/03
>From: en...@gmx.net (enoch)

I'm not Ilan, but I do some math. Show him
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/riddles/intro.shtml

Really cool page thanks.
Bill C

Ilan Vardi

Nov 8, 2003, 10:17:50 AM11/8/03
trito...@aol.com (TritonRider) wrote in message news:<20031106223259...@mb-m18.aol.com>...

> My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.
> Bill C

Math geek sounds a little redundant to me.
My e-mail is ila...@mail.com, check out my webistes at
http://cf.geocities.com/ilanpi
and for more math stuff
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Ilan.Vardi/
My dots page
http://cf.geocities.com/ilanpi/dots.html
is probably the most accessible stuff I've done and most
appropriate for High School students. The most appropriate to r.b.r.
is my complete solution to the Condom Problem: "M men and N women
must complete all heterosexual encounters. Each has a different
communicable disease, what is the minimum condoms that they can use?
You are allowed to reuse condoms, nest them, and turn them inside
out, but once a surface is contaminated, it stays contaminated."

-ilan

Ilan Vardi

Nov 8, 2003, 10:20:03 AM11/8/03
"Robert Chung" <inv...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<3fab6e43$0$13290$626a...@news.free.fr>...

Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this.

-ilan

Robert Chung

Nov 8, 2003, 10:38:29 AM11/8/03
Ilan Vardi wrote:
> "Robert Chung" <inv...@nospam.com> wrote

>> TritonRider wrote:
>>> My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.
>>
>> Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There
>> must be less extreme ways than that.
>
> Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this.
>
> -ilan

When my son was 9 we were standing in line at the supermarket when out of
the blue he said, "Dad, what would you think if I became a mathematician?"
I was floored. I put my basket down, got down on one knee so that I could
look him directly in the eye, pulled him into the circle of my arms and
said, "Well, first and most importantly, whatever you do, as long as it's
honest work and you do your best, I'll be proud of you. Second, there is
no finer profession, no higher calling, no better combination of
creativity and rigor than mathematics. Third, if you do go into math, it
might be wise to pick up a secondary skill, like maybe welding."

TritonRider

Nov 8, 2003, 10:56:30 AM11/8/03
From: il...@tonyaharding.org (Ilan Vardi)> The most appropriate to r.b.r.

>is my complete solution to the Condom Problem: "M men and N women
>must complete all heterosexual encounters. Each has a different
>communicable disease, what is the minimum condoms that they can use?
>You are allowed to reuse condoms, nest them, and turn them inside
>out, but once a surface is contaminated, it stays contaminated."
>
>-ilan

LOL!
Thanks for the link, and the protection problem is definitely relative to rbr.
Bill C

Howard Kveck

Nov 8, 2003, 3:46:01 PM11/8/03
In article <3fad0dfa$0$246$626a...@news.free.fr>,
"Robert Chung" <inv...@nospam.com> wrote:

That's good. It kind of reminds me of a joke from school (that was many
years ago, so the details could be a bit fuzzy):

The engineering major asks, "How does that work?"

The physics major asks, "Why does that work?"

The philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

--
tanx,
Howard

"Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
"No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"
Firesign Theatre

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

TritonRider

Nov 8, 2003, 4:24:51 PM11/8/03
>From: Howard Kveck YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com

>That's good. It kind of reminds me of a joke from school (that was many
>years ago, so the details could be a bit fuzzy):
>
>The engineering major asks, "How does that work?"
>
>The physics major asks, "Why does that work?"
>
>The philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
>
>--
> tanx,
> Howard

That pretty much sums up my comments on our "new" particle accelerator that
was half built and is now being used to grow mushrooms.
Let's all have a cheer for short sightedness!
Bill C

Richard Adams

Nov 8, 2003, 6:15:39 PM11/8/03

Damn. That could have been one heck of a velodrome!

Robert Chung

Nov 8, 2003, 7:34:47 PM11/8/03
Howard Kveck wrote:
> The engineering major asks, "How does that work?"
>
> The physics major asks, "Why does that work?"
>
> The philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

My brother, who is an engineer, once told me that engineers think that
equations are an approximation of reality, while physicists think that
reality is an approximation to an equation.
He paused for a bit to let me ponder that before finishing,
"Mathematicians haven't made the
connection yet."

Gerard Lanois

Nov 8, 2003, 7:48:15 PM11/8/03
trito...@aol.com (TritonRider) writes:

My dad guided me toward the local state university's concurrent admissions
program (which lets high school take college classes for credit).

Between math and any possible exposure he might have to cycling, you may
have sentenced him to a lifetime of virginity.

-Gerard

PS: I'll admit to finishing G.E.B.

TritonRider

Nov 8, 2003, 8:16:45 PM11/8/03
>From: "Robert Chung" inv...@nospam.com

>My brother, who is an engineer, once told me that engineers think that
>equations are an approximation of reality, while physicists think that
>reality is an approximation to an equation.
>He paused for a bit to let me ponder that before finishing,
>"Mathematicians haven't made the
>connection yet."

This is also the issue between academic engineers and the people who have to
make it work in a real world environment. While I was at Kellogg Brush we had a
couple of really good hands on engineers that I worked with to bring new
manufacturing machines on-line. These new proprietary machines were in large
part responsible for Kellogg being bought out by Ekco. A lot of times the ideas
that look great on paper just don't work in the real world.
Bill C

TritonRider

Nov 8, 2003, 8:32:27 PM11/8/03
>From: Gerard Lanois gerard...@netscape.net

>Between math and any possible exposure he might have to cycling, you may
>have sentenced him to a lifetime of virginity.
>
>-Gerard
>
>PS: I'll admit to finishing G.E.B.

Given my past behavior I sure as hell hope so! I was a decent athlete, played
middle linebacker, catcher and third base. There was no cycling support here
then.
Today this area is incredible for young riders.
Check:http://usacycling.org/cx/U23%20Men%20Individual%20Standings.pdf
We've got 3 of the top 5 U-23s and that is just an indication of how much
support there is here now.
Now if I could just get him to train.
He finished GMSR on less training than the road stage. The talent and athletic
ability is incredible, but the focus now is getting into MIT. He is taking all
the A.P. math he can get now, and playing guitar.
The killer was that just when he was coming around after a rest period last
year, and becoming competitive in 'Cross he broke his collarbone and was done.
His friend Tucker Olander ended up 5th at Nat's. Tucker is stronger, Robert has
better bike handling skills. It would've been interesting to see where he
would've finished in that mess.
Bill C

Donald Munro

Nov 10, 2003, 3:10:25 AM11/10/03

Richard Adams wrote:
> Damn. That could have been one heck of a velodrome!

Never mind velodrome, you could have had a multiple lap indoor road race
around such an accelerator (I think the latest CERN accelerator is 27Km
long). Probably not to many hills but you could always simulate
resistance by increasing the magnetic field :-)