24h

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2007, 4:37:35 PM1/21/07
Hi All,

What is considered a good distance for a first time 24 hour road race?
I'm not talking about top level, I'm talking about good to pretty good.

Joseph

Steven Bornfeld

Jan 21, 2007, 6:45:47 PM1/21/07

What do you mean by "top level"--is this a TT? Years ago there was a
24 hour Pepsi ride in Central Park every Memorial Day weekend. It
wasn't a kosher TT (the top riders had a support team to draft), and as
it got bigger the riders really in contention made it less and less
TT-like. AFAIK, the record was held by John Howard, who did somewhere
over 500 miles. But the earlier winners such as Billy Bauer rode with
less support, and still managed something like 400 miles.
I'm guessing JT will remember a lot more about this ride than I do.

Steve

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 21, 2007, 7:05:01 PM1/21/07

Well, I did 250 miles in that event on a bike 2 inches for me in
sneakers and cut-off shorts, when I was in high school.

Yeah, John Howard rode over 500 miles. Some guys who aren't all that
great in the big scheme of things did close to that distance with
other people pacing them.

I'd speculate that about 400 miles is a reasonable but had hard goal
to aim for assuming there is a big pack and drafting is easy.
--
JT
****************************

ST

Jan 21, 2007, 9:53:35 PM1/21/07
On 1/21/07 1:37 PM, in article
1169415455.6...@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com,
"joseph.sa...@gmail.com" <joseph.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you bringin the Ole Lady so she can drive the 18 wheeler while you sleep
a few times? I think the Snowman did pretty good on "Smokey & the Bandit"
in 24hrs.

Randy Beaver

Jan 21, 2007, 11:16:42 PM1/21/07
It depends.

<joseph.sa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 3:16:04 AM1/22/07

This is not a TT. Aerobars are not allowed, drafting is. The only
people to draft are the other folks in the event. There will be about
200 people at the start I'm guessing. So it should break up into
suitable groups pretty fast, but I suspect the majority of the time I
will be alone and sometimes with 1-5 others.

As for what top level means, the world record is 608 miles for this
type of event.

This event is flat. Perhaps even flatter that Central Park.

Joseph

RonSonic

Jan 22, 2007, 10:56:04 AM1/22/07

I believe the winners at 24 hour races down here in Florida run about 400 miles.

Ron

Dan Connelly

Jan 22, 2007, 11:33:44 AM1/22/07

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 2:26:19 PM1/22/07

There is plenty of good stuff there, but nothing to help me calibrate
myself so I can come up with a meaningful goal for myself.

Joseph

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 2:41:41 PM1/22/07

400 it is! Sounds doable, yet still a big stretch. If I manage it I'll
be supremely pleased, and if I don't I won't be too disappointed.

If I figure on 20 hours of riding time, that's 20mph average while
riding. A flat course (it's in Denmark) helps me with my 215lbs. If I
can draft for even just 1/3 of the time I should be able to manage it.

20mph is about 210W for me which occurs at about HR 125-130. That is a
nice low intensity that I should be able to maintain for a long time
and won't deplete my glycogen faster than I can eat. Anything faster
while drafting is a freebie.

Joseph

Dan Connelly

Jan 22, 2007, 2:53:14 PM1/22/07
joseph.sa...@gmail.com wrote:

> There is plenty of good stuff there, but nothing to help me calibrate
> myself so I can come up with a meaningful goal for myself.
>
> Joseph

I'm looking at Cycling Weekly, 28 Dec 2006. Some results are listed
from the "Veterans TTA Best All-Arounder". Mike Shacklock did the
following:

25 miles: 55:53 26.83 mph
50 miles: 1:52:17 26.71 mph
100 miles: 3:55:09 25.52 mph
12 hours: 251.23 miles 20.94 mph

I did a regression of log distance versus log time on these data, and
got the following fit:

ln distance/miles = 3.3231 + 0.90097 * ln time/hours

(note: the semilog slope fitting the 25-100 miles would be less ...
the points are not exceptionally well fit by the model... nevertheless...)

Thus, if I predict his 24 hour and 6-minute distances, I get:

6 minutes: 3.49 miles
24 hours: 486 miles

The model predicts if you increase the duration of the exercise by a
factor 240, you get an increase in distance of 240^0.9.

So, for example, if you can ride 2.00 miles in 6 minutes (20 mph), then
you can ride 15.9 mph for one hour, and for 24 hours, you get:

(2 miles) * 240^(0.9) = 278 miles

If instead you can go 20 miles in 1 hour, for 24 hours you get:

(20 miles) * 24^(0.9) = 349 miles

Of course, your mileage may vary....

Dan

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Jan 22, 2007, 2:59:44 PM1/22/07
joseph.sa...@gmail.com wrote:

Central Park has at least enough change in profile to shift gears
occasionally.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Dan Connelly

Jan 22, 2007, 3:08:05 PM1/22/07
Dan Connelly wrote:

> (note: the semilog slope fitting the 25-100 miles would be less ...
> the points are not exceptionally well fit by the model... nevertheless...)

Whoops... I meant "more". For the 25, 50, and 100 mile data the slope
was 0.96. If speed is independent of distance, it would be 1.

Dan

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 3:18:46 PM1/22/07

Excellent! I love that sort of thing.

This means I can count on 378 miles! I have proof!

400 is perhaps too ambitious anyway. Particularly if that is a common
winning number at FL races.

I hereby declare that my official goal for the 2007 Melfar 24 is 600km
(373 mi). No turning back now!

Joseph

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 22, 2007, 6:39:18 PM1/22/07

The bike I did the 24 on when I was a kid had a 14-32 5-speed
freewheel, with, I believe, 52 and 40 upfront. I'm pretty sure I used
a lot of the gears. For sure I used the 40x26 and maybe a little
40x32.

joseph.sa...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2007, 5:34:46 AM1/23/07

I was just kidding about how flat Central Park is. And for sure on a
long ride there when trying to keep the intensity level even there will
be a fair amount of shifting going on.

It seems I was mistaken about how flat the race in Denmark is. I asked
the arrangers they had a profile and they dug one up and put it online.
It is much hillier than Central Park. It's still no mountain stage, but
there will certainly be some shifting.

This shows only the big loop, but the others are more or less the same:

http://www.melfar24.dk/Ruter/Forste/hojde.aspx

Joseph