RAAM on tv

blan...@total.net

Jan 23, 2005, 12:46:26 AM1/23/05
did anyone watch any of it? I watched some, about the first hour. I
wouldn't have minded seeing some actual riding but that's what I
expected from NBC.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 6:15:27 AM1/23/05

I happened across the second half. What a bad sporting event to show
people -- it was embarassing. The only people that seemed admirable
were the two young/fast relay teams plus the old guys relay team, plus
the indiidual winner. Everyone else seems like total nerds, fred,
people with death wishes or losers. "Rocket Mullet Head"? WTF? I guess
the Italian guy seemed pretty neat, but the phrase from teh
commentator "One of Italy's greatest cyclists" was a total lie.

I don't want images of people riding at 40rpm with their heads held up
by bungees cords to represent "my sport."

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Callistus Valerius

Jan 23, 2005, 7:30:59 AM1/23/05

> I don't want images of people riding at 40rpm with their heads held up
> by bungees cords to represent "my sport."
>
> JT

people that haven't had years of doping treatments are a little scary,
no?

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 8:19:12 AM1/23/05

It's not the lack of dope. Local cat 2 and 3 races would seem less
freaky than some of those guys.

psycholist

Jan 23, 2005, 9:22:51 AM1/23/05
"John Forrest Tomlinson" <usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:46:26 -0500, blan...@total.net wrote:
>
> I happened across the second half. What a bad sporting event to show
> people -- it was embarassing. The only people that seemed admirable
> were the two young/fast relay teams plus the old guys relay team, plus
> the indiidual winner. Everyone else seems like total nerds, fred,
> people with death wishes or losers. "Rocket Mullet Head"? WTF? I guess
> the Italian guy seemed pretty neat, but the phrase from teh
> commentator "One of Italy's greatest cyclists" was a total lie.
>
> I don't want images of people riding at 40rpm with their heads held up
> by bungees cords to represent "my sport."
>
> JT

I agree with John completely. I saw the whole show. It was like watching
suicide by bicycle. It was a terrible representation of what cycling is
about for most people. It was a profile of a bunch of lunatics. I couldn't
believe the monumental stupidity of it all.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

B Lafferty

Jan 23, 2005, 10:00:21 AM1/23/05

"psycholist" <tech...@wctel.net> wrote in message

IMO, Lamply's 1986 show was much better. It was joyous at times watching
Vance Vaughn and crew supporting what's her name--Mariolle?. There was also
an interesting women's field.
It seems that as the times have decreased since '86, the tenor of the race
has changed dramatically. More abject suffering and the difference between
the top two or three riders and those who don't make it is more pronounced.
I was interested to see several of the riders pulling out due to
liver/kidney failure. The guy with the helmet crane was a bit much but he
did do what he set out to do.

amit

Jan 23, 2005, 10:23:02 AM1/23/05

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:46:26 -0500, blan...@total.net wrote:
>
> >did anyone watch any of it? I watched some, about the first hour. I
> >wouldn't have minded seeing some actual riding but that's what I
> >expected from NBC.
>
> I happened across the second half. What a bad sporting event to show
> people -- it was embarassing. The only people that seemed admirable
> were the two young/fast relay teams plus the old guys relay team,
plus
> the indiidual winner. Everyone else seems like total nerds, fred,
> people with death wishes or losers.

dumbass,

i watced the first hour as well. the riders were super-fredly, and it
does boil down to a sleep-deprivation and discomfort tolerace contest,
but it was interesting to watch. i don't think watching the 'riding'
would be as interesting as watching the human drama.

those riders were suffering more than people ever do in a typical bike
race, and you had to feel something for that. but suffering of the
participants isn't enough to make it an elite athletic event.

david

Jan 23, 2005, 11:24:51 AM1/23/05
> were suffering more than people ever do in a typical bike
> race, and you had to feel something for that. but suffering of the
> participants isn't enough to make it an elite athletic event.

I beg to differ, I would call this a elite level event. In my opinion, if
you took any pro rider out there, 80 percent of them could not complete this
race due to their bodies breaking down. The remaining 20 percent would
finish in decent time but would not win. The thing about the RAAM is that it
takes unreal amounts of stamina and sleep dep. I have only stayed up a few
times for 36-48 hours and I bonked. Imagine riding for 36-48 hours! I call
that elite. If you a burning a minimal of 500 cal/hr that's nearly 20,000
calories. That is difficult to put into oneself when one is biking.

david

psycholist

Jan 23, 2005, 12:21:31 PM1/23/05
"david" <gte...@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message

> The thing about the RAAM is that it takes unreal amounts of stamina and
> sleep dep. I have only stayed up a few times for 36-48 hours and I bonked.
> Imagine riding for 36-48 hours! I call that elite.

Is that what you call it? I call it suicidal and stupid. Granted, the top
two guys crossed the line looking like they could have kept right on going.
Everyone after that looked near death. That guy who ended up in the
hospital for 3 days with kidney failure and swollen extremities ... as he
was holding that guard rail and trying to launch himself in those last
feeble attempts, I kept thinking he could just push off, take a couple
pedals and fall out to the left in front of a car or truck. It was just
senseless. And the morons in his support car ... GEEEZ ... couldn't they
see they were pushing the guy towards death!!!!!

It does seem that, in the last decade, it was a more sensible exercise in
who could lay out the best strategy and timetable for maximizing bike time
while still allowing for the minimum essential physical recovery time. I
used to be able to get some inspiration from watching coverage of those
competitions. I got no inspiration from watching yesterday's coverage.
That was just freaks, freds and suicidal maniacs.

mbowe...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2005, 12:50:43 PM1/23/05
Sounds like you have succumbed to the well-earned, stereotypical,
elitist, roadie attitude that does "our sport" no good.

psycholist

Jan 23, 2005, 1:00:15 PM1/23/05

<mbowe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Sounds like you have succumbed to the well-earned, stereotypical,
> elitist, roadie attitude that does "our sport" no good.

Sounds like you didn't see the show. ;-)

Carl Sundquist

Jan 23, 2005, 1:09:55 PM1/23/05

"david" <gte...@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message

Much of your post is utter nonsense.

But your timing is nice: if we tie this is with both the "cadence/tt" and
"How fucked am I threads", with Coggan burning 300 w @ 28 mph, we can
conclude that RAAM riders either ride at phenomenal rates of speed or are
horrifyingly inefficient.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 1:15:23 PM1/23/05
On 23 Jan 2005 09:50:43 -0800, mbowe...@gmail.com wrote:

>Sounds like you have succumbed to the well-earned, stereotypical,
>elitist, roadie attitude that does "our sport" no good.

Dumbass.

Sounds like you are a doofus. I have no problem with film of people
having fun going slow on a bike -- touring, or mountain biking or
commuting, racing, acrobating cycling, whatever. I have a big problem
with people doing the sport badly -- those people's bodies and minds
were so f*cked that they were an exihibit of how not to ride a bike.

I've toured across the US and ridden a couple of 24 hour races. been a
messenger, etc, etc. I appreciate people either having fun on the
bike, using the bike for a purpose, or riding it well.

mbowe...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2005, 1:44:54 PM1/23/05
You make my point exactly. Such arrogant intolerance! Loser.

mbowe...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2005, 1:58:40 PM1/23/05
The people you should be heaping your scorn upon, are not those who
choose to exercise their mind & body (even if in a manner you deem
inappropriate), but those 60% of Americans who are obese, couch-potato
indulgers of fat-laden fast food delights or the 22% who keep the
tobacco companies in business. direct experience & knowledge (
http://www.jt10000.com/aboutme.htm ) and your wrath towards the
"heathen" and leave "the choir" alone.

blan...@total.net

Jan 23, 2005, 2:06:49 PM1/23/05
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:15:27 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenet...@jt10000.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:46:26 -0500, blan...@total.net wrote:
>
>>did anyone watch any of it? I watched some, about the first hour. I
>>wouldn't have minded seeing some actual riding but that's what I
>>expected from NBC.
>
>I happened across the second half. What a bad sporting event to show
>people -- it was embarassing. The only people that seemed admirable
>were the two young/fast relay teams plus the old guys relay team, plus
>the indiidual winner. Everyone else seems like total nerds, fred,
>people with death wishes or losers. "Rocket Mullet Head"? WTF? I guess
>the Italian guy seemed pretty neat, but the phrase from teh
>commentator "One of Italy's greatest cyclists" was a total lie.

Well to be fair we can't all be Lance, but I agree that it was kind of
embarrassing. As for 'italy's greatest cyclist' I think maybe he's a
big amateur hero in italy but do dumb NBC morons know the difference?
If you mentioned Gilberto Simoni, they'd say, Huh? Does he play for
the Packers?

blan...@total.net

Jan 23, 2005, 2:11:31 PM1/23/05

THere's a point there. It's like kids BMXing. THey may get hurt but
it's a lot better to endure a few bruises or injuries than it is to
sit in the house all day eating Rolos and playing videogames for hours
on end. There was this kid who lived upstairs from us who was in the
house ALL day even in summer-just bouncing off the walls. Poor kid had
a stupid lazy mother. He wasn't fat, but skinny and pasty. I kept
thinking get the kid a bike! Maybe these guys are psychos but at least
they aren't eating themselves into early graves like most americans.
Still, kiling yourself for fitness is wack. Even in the grand tours
you're allowed to sleep!

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 2:22:53 PM1/23/05
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:11:31 -0500, blan...@total.net wrote:

>On 23 Jan 2005 10:58:40 -0800, mbowe...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>The people you should be heaping your scorn upon, are not those who
>>choose to exercise their mind & body (even if in a manner you deem
>>inappropriate), but those 60% of Americans who are obese, couch-potato
>>indulgers of fat-laden fast food delights or the 22% who keep the
>>tobacco companies in business. direct experience & knowledge (
>>http://www.jt10000.com/aboutme.htm ) and your wrath towards the
>>"heathen" and leave "the choir" alone.
>

>THere's a point there. It's like kids BMXing. THey may get hurt but
>it's a lot better to endure a few bruises or injuries than it is to
>sit in the house all day eating Rolos and playing videogames for hours
>on end.

Theres' some truth in that. I don't actually have anything against a
bunch of weirdos going out and riding themselves into the ground in
their wobbling mulleted style while. At least they are trying. But
the producers of that show have (whether on a conscious or
subconscious level) a desire to make cycling out to be a freakshow,
and it's not. The existance of that show (not the participants) is
worse for the sport than not having it on TV at all.

Laz

Jan 23, 2005, 4:27:51 PM1/23/05

"david" <gte...@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message
I appreciate your point of view. I tended to the ultra-marathon type cycling
myself- the longest I rode was 30 hrs ( quad century ); the following day I
had to go out and do about 80 miles just to feel "normal". Going out for
400kms- was a nice ride on a day off work- now I don't even drive the route
because it's way too long.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 5:03:09 PM1/23/05
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:27:51 -0500, "Laz" <raa...@snotmail.com>
wrote:

>I appreciate your point of view. I tended to the ultra-marathon type cycling
>myself- the longest I rode was 30 hrs ( quad century ); the following day I
>had to go out and do about 80 miles just to feel "normal". Going out for
>400kms- was a nice ride on a day off work- now I don't even drive the route
>because it's way too long.

There's a huge difference between skipping one night's sleep and
skipping several. I've done two 24hr events and it's not a big deal.

david

Jan 23, 2005, 5:33:53 PM1/23/05

> Theres' some truth in that. I don't actually have anything against a
> bunch of weirdos going out and riding themselves into the ground in
> their wobbling mulleted style while. At least they are trying. But
> the producers of that show have (whether on a conscious or
> subconscious level) a desire to make cycling out to be a freakshow,
> and it's not. The existance of that show (not the participants) is
> worse for the sport than not having it on TV at all.
>
> JT

I guarantee you that the top 5 riders on the RAAM could beat the shit out of
most of us in any ace. Even the guy with the mullet. He was cruising along
at 25 mph after 3 days of riding, right before he had to drop out with a
deadly 20 mph headwind. Perhaps NBC missed some of the point, but these
wierdos are still decent to good cyclists. Unless you are CAT 1 or pro, you
cannot really say shit.

david

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 5:53:52 PM1/23/05
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:33:53 -0500, "david" <gte...@mail.gatech.edu>
wrote:

>I guarantee you that the top 5 riders on the RAAM could beat the shit out of
>most of us in any ace. Even the guy with the mullet.

Not the guy with the mullet.

Bleet Norf

Jan 23, 2005, 7:22:44 PM1/23/05

The best part was how the Robic crew was unsuccessful in their mind
games against Mike Trevino.. that is, until that wipe Danny Chew drove
up alongside Trevino and confronted him about cheating allegations.

"Do you have any comment about people saying you're cheating?" Knowing
full well that Chew's question was going to be the first Trevino had
heard anything about these allegations. Jeez, Chew has a nice career in
front of him as journalist scum.

blan...@total.net

Jan 23, 2005, 6:56:28 PM1/23/05

I have to agree, they did make it look like a freak show- here's a
bunch of crazy eccentrics with wacky getups, etc (and of course their
supportive wives), more than it was a show about race. And the musical
soundtrack and all the upclose and personals, oy. ANd I knew at least
one of them would do his tribute to god at some point. Phew, at least
you never see sappy crap like that during coverage of the tour. It was
coverage for people who know nothing about cycling at all and who
probably already think of it as a freak show. Lilke when one of them
mentioned falling on the railroad tracks and having a huge bruise. Big
deal- that's happened to everyone I know including me! And yes, I had
a humongous bruise that covered my entire right hip- pretty hideous,
actually,but let's face it par for the course.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 23, 2005, 8:18:33 PM1/23/05

There is an appeal going around Chew asking for people to contact NBc
to get more coverage of this event, and I sort of want to write to
them and say "Please, no."

amit

Jan 23, 2005, 9:04:47 PM1/23/05

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:33:53 -0500, "david" <gte...@mail.gatech.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >I guarantee you that the top 5 riders on the RAAM could beat the
shit out of
> >most of us in any ace. Even the guy with the mullet.
>
> Not the guy with the mullet.
>
> JT

dumbass,

some of the greatest bike racers had mullets.

Howard Kveck

Jan 23, 2005, 9:07:36 PM1/23/05
In article <g4e8v0pdf0kf2qcct...@4ax.com>,
blan...@total.net wrote:

> It was coverage for people who know nothing about cycling at all and who
> probably already think of it as a freak show.

It also seems like coverage *by* people who know nothing about cycling
at all and probably already think of it as a freak show.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

B Lafferty

Jan 23, 2005, 9:19:23 PM1/23/05

"amit" <am...@physics.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
Laurent Brouchard

B Lafferty

Jan 23, 2005, 9:26:58 PM1/23/05

"Howard Kveck" <YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message

> In article <g4e8v0pdf0kf2qcct...@4ax.com>,
> blan...@total.net wrote:
>
>> It was coverage for people who know nothing about cycling at all and who
>> probably already think of it as a freak show.
>
> It also seems like coverage *by* people who know nothing about cycling
> at all and probably already think of it as a freak show.

Lamply did a fine job, IMO, on the 1986 RAAM. The nature of the race and
the cast were much more interesting back then and made for a better film.
Where the hell is Vance Vaughn and friends when you need them? Anyone know
what he and Mariolle are up to. Elaine did ride Paris-Brest-Paris in the
'90s.

Carl Sundquist

Jan 23, 2005, 9:31:13 PM1/23/05

"B Lafferty" <Ma...@Italia.com> wrote in message

> Lamply did a fine job, IMO, on the 1986 RAAM. The nature of the race and
> the cast were much more interesting back then and made for a better film.
> Where the hell is Vance Vaughn and friends when you need them? Anyone know
> what he and Mariolle are up to. Elaine did ride Paris-Brest-Paris in the
> '90s.

IIRC, the link to a magazine article that Bruce posted recently on the Longo
nice/not nice thread was written by Mariolle.

Howard Kveck

Jan 23, 2005, 9:33:37 PM1/23/05
In article <1106532287.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"amit" <am...@physics.utoronto.ca> wrote:

And one recent world champion: Laurent Brochard.

Raptor

Jan 23, 2005, 9:42:01 AM1/23/05
psycholist wrote:

as he
> was holding that guard rail and trying to launch himself in those last
> feeble attempts, I kept thinking he could just push off, take a couple
> pedals and fall out to the left in front of a car or truck.

What's the big deal anyway? That's just the first ride of the typical
season for me.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

B Lafferty

Jan 23, 2005, 10:06:49 PM1/23/05

"Carl Sundquist" <car...@cox.net> wrote in message

Here's a mention of here:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/eltour/48066.php

An enduring athlete

Elaine Mariolle first rode in El Tour in 1986, and she's taken part every
year since then - usually as a rider but sometimes helping stage the event.

Mariolle's devotion to the tour might have to do with the fact that she got
off to a memorable start: She finished in first place among women riders in
1986.

Earlier that year, she had won the women's division of the prestigious Race
Across America cycling competition.

Mariolle, 47, a program director for a Santa Cruz County work-force
development program in Nogales, says she rides in El Tour every year because
"there really is something in it for everyone."

"Everyone's accomplishment is acknowledged," says Mariolle, who plans to
ride this year on a tandem bike with a friend. "There's a spirited race out
front with Olympic athletes and other top riders, and there are people in
the back who are just hoping to finish before the sun goes down."

For her, the race is "a vehicle for exploring all kinds of frontiers -
internally and externally."

Howard Kveck

Jan 23, 2005, 10:42:26 PM1/23/05
In article <S1ZId.8673$rp1....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"B Lafferty" <Ma...@Italia.com> wrote:

Even at the very low level that I pay attention to it, the race seems to
have evolved (well, 'mutated' might be a better word to describe it) a bit
in the last few years. It did seem more like a real bike race back then. It
sure doesn't interest me now.

blan...@total.net

Jan 23, 2005, 11:12:37 PM1/23/05
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:07:36 -0800, Howard Kveck
<YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote:

>In article <g4e8v0pdf0kf2qcct...@4ax.com>,
> blan...@total.net wrote:
>
>> It was coverage for people who know nothing about cycling at all and who
>> probably already think of it as a freak show.
>
> It also seems like coverage *by* people who know nothing about cycling
>at all and probably already think of it as a freak show.

Yeah,that too for sure, LOL.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 24, 2005, 6:53:21 AM1/24/05
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:19:23 GMT, "B Lafferty" <Ma...@Italia.com>
wrote:

So let me get this straight. Because Laurent Brochard won the World
with a mullet, the guy with the mullet in RAAM this year is a good
bike racer?

B Lafferty

Jan 24, 2005, 6:53:50 AM1/24/05

"Howard Kveck" <YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message

Mutated is a good word for it. I hope they don't give it any more coverage.

Luke

Jan 24, 2005, 7:45:18 AM1/24/05
In article <1106506719.9...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<mbowe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there not a reasonable mean between utter sloth and obsessive
exertion to the point of collapse or organ failure? To my mind both
propositions deserve scorn.

I've always found well staged athletic competitions more compelling
than senseless exercises in masochism--much of what constitutes
'X-treme' sports qualify as these.

luke