Most tasteless jersey ...

Robert McMillen

Jun 19, 2003, 2:28:55ā€ÆPM6/19/03

K. B. Rook

Jun 19, 2003, 3:12:50ā€ÆPM6/19/03

Bet they sell a ton of them....

cat...@hotmail.com

Jun 19, 2003, 3:30:44ā€ÆPM6/19/03
precious

"Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message
news:bcsvaj$h30$1...@nntp.msstate.edu...

xzzy

Jun 19, 2003, 4:00:37ā€ÆPM6/19/03
If Armstrong wins again this year, the USA will have won 8 of 18 starts
since 1986

John Bickmore
www.BicycleCam.com
www.Feed-Zone.com

Stan Cox

Jun 19, 2003, 4:51:24ā€ÆPM6/19/03

"Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message

Now thats one jersey I wouldnt wear in France.

Stan Cox

Robert McMillen

Jun 19, 2003, 4:47:29ā€ÆPM6/19/03
No, the USA has not won a damn thing. LeMond and Armstrong - with a
multinational support team - have won 7 of the last 17 Tours.

-r

"xzzy" <mrbik...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Boyd Speerschneider

Jun 19, 2003, 6:58:41ā€ÆPM6/19/03
"Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> "Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message
>> and the award goes to Nashbar
>>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=

> 1207& sku=9034&brand=

> Now thats one jersey I wouldnt wear in France.
>
> Stan Cox

You can bet your ass some dork will, though.
Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt over
there.
Talk about "the ugly american" ;)

- Boyd S.

Tezza

Jun 19, 2003, 8:40:29ā€ÆPM6/19/03
Robert McMillen wrote:
> and the award goes to Nashbar http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages-
> .cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=http://www.nashbar.co-
> m/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=

"Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"

that jersey design says it all - a little humility goes an awful long
way, particularly when you are on top!!! Tezza:rolleyes:

Jim Martin

Jun 19, 2003, 11:33:46ā€ÆPM6/19/03

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspees...@yahoo.com> wrote

> You can bet your ass some dork will, though.
> Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt over
> there.
> Talk about "the ugly american"

What about the ugly french?

The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

Cheers,

Jim

---

Jun 19, 2003, 11:15:26ā€ÆPM6/19/03
Tezza <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> "Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"
>

> that jersey design says it all - a little humility goes an awful long
> way, particularly when you are on top!!! Tezza:rolleyes:

Y'know, I can't speak for the French, but if a yank was walking around
Australia with US flag/Australia equivalent, I can't honestly say how
long he would survive for..

Imagine a Japanese Tourist in the USA in the 1980's wearing a map of the
USA with the rising sun....

Pete

Jun 19, 2003, 11:21:02ā€ÆPM6/19/03

"Tezza" <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

> Robert McMillen wrote:
> > and the award goes to Nashbar
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages-

.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=http://www.nashbar.co-
> > m/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=
>

> "Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"

Who gives a fuck?

Pete

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 19, 2003, 11:47:29ā€ÆPM6/19/03
In article <TetIa.55641$Io.52...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
" Tim Mullin" <tvph...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message

> > and the award goes to Nashbar
>

> Is the voting over already? Shit! I never got a chance to enter my jersey...
>

> begin 666 Iraq Jersey.JPG
> [Image]
>
> end

Bad form to post a pic to this newsgroup, but that was Fark-tacular!
Good job.

BTW, the _most_ tasteless would be the same "France" jersey, but with
the German tricolour and "GERMAN DOMINATED, 1940-1944"

Though a close second might be the "TEAM PUKE" jersey one guy wore to
last week's Twoonie race,
--
Ryan Cousineau, rcou...@sfu.ca http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

warren

Jun 20, 2003, 12:02:58ā€ÆAM6/20/03
In article <bctrpi$jso$1...@terabinaries.xmission.com>, Jim Martin

<jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote:

> What about the ugly french?
>
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple
question in French? That's rude and presumptious. You got what you
deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting and learn
at least a few words of the language just like you'd expect a French
person to do if they were visiting the US and asking you where the
currency exchange was.

-WG

one of the six billion

Jun 20, 2003, 12:08:08ā€ÆAM6/20/03

"Jim Martin" <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote in message

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspees...@yahoo.com> wrote
> > You can bet your ass some dork will, though.
> > Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt
over
> > there.
> > Talk about "the ugly american"
>
> What about the ugly french?
>
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
(in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

So you have direct experience seeing how ugly nationalism is and you want
to be that way too?

Amit

Jun 20, 2003, 12:50:47ā€ÆAM6/20/03
"Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<onpIa.2131$_C1....@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...

I would.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 20, 2003, 12:52:55ā€ÆAM6/20/03
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

My experience at so-called "information" booths was similar, but not in a
way that was hostile towards Americans, but simply hostile towards anyone
who expected useful information. I witnessed a number of exchanges at the
help booths in the Gare du Nord station between natives that went nowhere
fast.

So I, with my horrific (beyond that, actually) French from a phrasebook, go
up to one of the main ticket windows and had absolutely no problem finding
out exactly what I needed, from a very pleasant Frenchman, who even lied
through his teeth by saying that I spoke French quite nicely!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Stan Cox

Jun 20, 2003, 2:37:05ā€ÆAM6/20/03

"Jim Martin" <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote in message

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspees...@yahoo.com> wrote
> > You can bet your ass some dork will, though.
> > Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt over
> > there.
> > Talk about "the ugly american"
>
> What about the ugly french?
>
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

There are idiots in every country. Bear in mind that the French think that
Parisienes (spelling) are rude. BTW as a brit what is a "Cutters" t shirt.

Stan Cox

Howard Kveck

Jun 20, 2003, 3:13:55ā€ÆAM6/20/03
In article <rcousine-1B8193...@morgoth.sfu.ca>, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> BTW, the _most_ tasteless would be the same "France" jersey, but with
> the German tricolour and "GERMAN DOMINATED, 1940-1944"

In the early eighties I did see a shirt that was done in the style of band tour t-shirts that
read "Adolf Hitler European Tour 1939-1945" on the front. On the back, it had a list of the various
countries that they, um, "visited".

--
tanx,
Howard

Read.
Think.
Type.
Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Jonathan v.d. Sluis

Jun 20, 2003, 5:40:39ā€ÆAM6/20/03
warren <war...@usvh.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
190620032101531015%war...@usvh.com...

> In article <bctrpi$jso$1...@terabinaries.xmission.com>, Jim Martin
> <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote:
>
> > What about the ugly french?
> >
> > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport
information
> > booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
(in
> > English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> > information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> > hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!
>
> You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple
> question in French? That's rude and presumptious.

Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't
speak dutch even without asking. Whatever happened to the simple phrasebook?
It would be so nice if the tourists just tried.

And yes, that is indeed a horrible jersey.

Jonathan.

Ewoud Dronkert

Jun 20, 2003, 5:53:29ā€ÆAM6/20/03
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:40:39 +0200, Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
>Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't
>speak dutch even without asking.

At first I thought they assumed because you're not Dutch and they can
tell by looking at you, but then I realized what you meant. Sorry.

Van Hoorebeeck Bart

Jun 20, 2003, 6:15:59ā€ÆAM6/20/03
you are correct.
fonctionnaries at information booths treat everyone like that. if people
interpret that as anti-americanism they are wrong. it's a cultural thing.

It's the same whether you need info, documents, ... anywhere.
Dealing with Western European bureaucracies is about taking the right , bowing
down approach, and show respect for the system. Americans and most other
foreigners make the mistake of trying to get what they want by being assertive
and push harder. That ends all hope of a positive outcome.

That's the caricature. It still exists widely, but of course you will run into
cooperating people now and then who treat you as a customer . it changes slowly.

G. Focker

Jun 20, 2003, 6:47:43ā€ÆAM6/20/03
warren <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message news:<190620032101531015%war...@usvh.com>...

> You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple
> question in French? That's rude and presumptious. You got what you
> deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting and learn
> at least a few words of the language > -WG

Uh,
Kind like we have expect the many illegal hispanic immigrants to
learn english so much that we've began changing some street signs and
most small signs to bi-lingual? Or how we make excuses for our own
poor education and create optional languages like ebonics. HE never
said he made no effort to
learn any phrase in french, he simply related an experience. Seems
like you're the one being presumtuious and maybe even a little nieve.
Focker

Jay Hill

Jun 20, 2003, 7:16:19ā€ÆAM6/20/03
Can you tell me what he meant?

--
A. Top posters

Ilan Vardi

Jun 20, 2003, 7:28:39ā€ÆAM6/20/03
"Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<onpIa.2131$_C1....@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net>...

Funny you should say that, because I was just about to post a message
about the fact that the frogs seem to be completely oblivious to jerseys.
In the past 5 years, I don't think anyone has ever noticed what jersey
I was wearing, in particular, that they were mostly USA club jerseys,
as could be deduced from the fact that they would just jabber happily away
to me in French, without ever once asking me about cycling abroad.

Moreover, the obliviousness (is that a word?) is quite remarkable. At least
once, I went over to a guy sporting a Stars and Stripes Jersey (a real one,
not the Belgian Brooklyn jersey) and started speaking in English, and he
just looked at me in complete incomprehension. It reminds me now of the
scene in the movie "Guys and Dolls" in which Sky Masterson makes a bet
with Nathan Detroit about what colour tie the latter is wearing. Oh, and
to make things even weirder, that guy wore the US jersey during the Iraq war.

I've been wondering whether this is just a French phenomenon. On at least
two occasions, I've cycled next to Americans here in Paris, and they have
been unable to figure out that I may have lived in the US, despite my
US club jersey.

I am stressing the "club jersey" aspect, as this gives strong indication
of some connexion with the club in question, as opposed to a professional
jersey which, in almost all cases, the rider has bought independently in
some store.

-ilan

Ilan Vardi

Jun 20, 2003, 7:43:13ā€ÆAM6/20/03
"Jim Martin" <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote in message news:<bctrpi$jso$1...@terabinaries.xmission.com>...

> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!

You are correct that this is rude behaviour, but it is also representative
of the French attitude towards their jobs, which is that you don't have
to hide your current emotional state in order to please the customer.
This attitude is a direct consequence of the fact that most people have
absolute job security. Compare this to the USA, where most people in
the service industry, e.g., waiters, get sacked if they do one thing
the boss doesn't like. I prefer the French system, and in any case,
I was fed up with forced servility I observed in the US.

So, it is quite likely that this person would have been just as rude to
a French person. I believe that English has made big inroads in France,
and my father tells me that Parisians are much more willing to speak
English to tourists than 40 years ago. I have also been quite impressed
by the amount of English signs in trains and subway stations, especially
compared to (legally) bilingual Canada. The Paris subway will usually
boradcast PA make announcements in French and English.

I don't believe that tourists should be compelled to learn the local
language, but I think most people would agree that starting a query
with a local phrase is good form. Many people get annoyed because tourists
will immediately start speaking to them in English. Of course, you should
expect this if you're working in an information booth... But such things
happen everywhere. Try calling up information in some Canadian
city speaking the other official language and see what happens. Last
time I did that, the operator hung up on me when I refused to speak
her language.

-ilan

Ewoud Dronkert

Jun 20, 2003, 7:47:24ā€ÆAM6/20/03
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:16:19 -0500, Jay Hill wrote:
>Can you tell me what he meant?

That even though we're in Holland, we are Dutch and speak Dutch,
foreigners almost always start talking to us in English assuming we
will voluntarily and as a matter of course talk English with them, not
Dutch.

BTW, it's not a very strange assumption. But more polite would be if
Johnny would start out with "Meneer, mag ik u wat vragen in het
Engels?".

Ewoud Dronkert

Jun 20, 2003, 7:59:07ā€ÆAM6/20/03
On 20 Jun 2003 04:28:39 -0700, Ilan Vardi wrote:
> they would just jabber happily away to me in French,
> without ever once asking me about cycling abroad.
>
> I went over to a guy sporting a Stars and Stripes Jersey [...]

> and started speaking in English, and he just looked at me in
> complete incomprehension.

Here in Holland too, nobody ever starts to speak in Basque to me :(

Robert Chung

Jun 20, 2003, 8:15:58ā€ÆAM6/20/03

"Ilan Vardi" <il...@tonyaharding.org> wrote in message

> "Jim Martin" <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport
information
> > booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
(in
> > English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> > information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> > hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!
>
> You are correct that this is rude behaviour, but it is also representative
> of the French attitude towards their jobs, which is that you don't have
> to hide your current emotional state in order to please the customer.
> This attitude is a direct consequence of the fact that most people have
> absolute job security. Compare this to the USA, where most people in
> the service industry, e.g., waiters, get sacked if they do one thing
> the boss doesn't like.

As G.W. Bush was quoted as saying, "the problem with the French is they have
no word for entrepreneur."

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jun 20, 2003, 8:31:23ā€ÆAM6/20/03
Jim writes-<< The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport

information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. >><BR><BR>

warren responds-<< You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a
simple
question in French? That's rude and presumptious. >><BR><BR>

Absolutely, the french chick had every right to blow smoke in his face!!! How
dare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!

YGBSM, A person came into the shop that didn't speak english, only spanish. I
went next door and got a guy that could translate...I guess I should have
pissed on his foot or something since he didn't speak english, according to
warren....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Tom Paterson

Jun 20, 2003, 8:39:35ā€ÆAM6/20/03
>From: velo...@aol.com (G. Focker)

(snipped, changed order):

>we make excuses for our own poor education (snip)

>we have expect (snip)

>english (snip)

>we've began (snip)

>in french (snip)

>presumtuious (snip)

>nieve (snip)

And the excuses are? --Tom Paterson

Tom Paterson

Jun 20, 2003, 9:17:25ā€ÆAM6/20/03
>From: vecc...@aol.com (Qui si parla Campagnolo)

>A person came into the shop that didn't speak english, only spanish. Iwent
>next door and got a guy that could translate...

Not surprising given the general tenor and content of your many helpful posts.

>Howdare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!

Well, I dared. I saw some impatience, esp. in Paris (and was guilty of looking
at the pictures on the money) but crap-ometer readings were about the same as
say, Chicago, asking directions for the El. The opening phrase, "seal voo play"
along with an attempt to parlay frawnsay was good enough for starters and if
they answered me in English, I kept on trying French, and there we were,
practicing our foreign language skills with each other. The rudest I ever had
any public servant be to me was an asshole at the TDL desk. She had the
Troopers to back her up, easy bravery. Mail order next time. --Tom Paterosn

Lindsay

Jun 20, 2003, 9:27:47ā€ÆAM6/20/03
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:47:29 -0500, "Robert McMillen"
<robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote:

>No, the USA has not won a damn thing. LeMond and Armstrong - with a
>multinational support team - have won 7 of the last 17 Tours.

The 99 team was a close as we've come to seeing a 'national' team win
the TdF in a very long time. More importantly winning with a several
riders having never ridden in the tour before.

If any French rider for any team had won the TdF just once in that
time frame they would have a national holiday in France. Hell, if a
French rider could just win a stage ...

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free
will and individual responsibility is the difficulty
of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And
when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often
his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

Lindsay

Jun 20, 2003, 9:30:42ā€ÆAM6/20/03
On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:13:55 GMT, Howard Kveck
<YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote:

> In the early eighties I did see a shirt that was done in the style of band tour t-shirts that
>read "Adolf Hitler European Tour 1939-1945" on the front. On the back, it had a list of the various
>countries that they, um, "visited".

Check this one out:

http://store.yahoo.com/victorystore00/buwotot.html

Jun 20, 2003, 9:53:45ā€ÆAM6/20/03
Pete <pete_n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

fuckwit

Van Hoorebeeck Bart

Jun 20, 2003, 9:57:25ā€ÆAM6/20/03

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" schreef:

> Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't
> speak dutch even without asking. Whatever happened to the simple phrasebook?
> It would be so nice if the tourists just tried.

I understand that feels annoying. As if a certain servility is evident as their
presence generates assets for your better-be-humble country.

Commuting by train I speak English, French, Spanish with tourists, asylum
seekers, settled immigrants, whatever. And it's no big deal, if the attitude is
good. Then I'm glad to give some explanations or listen to what they're up to.

And in my street I often have horrible times speaking my own language (elder
people with thick accents, immigrant children not very capable with Dutch yet).

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 20, 2003, 11:10:02ā€ÆAM6/20/03
> YGBSM, A person came into the shop that didn't speak english, only
spanish. I
> went next door and got a guy that could translate...I guess I should have
> pissed on his foot or something since he didn't speak english, according
> warren....

It's a bit more of an issue in our area. The Hispanic population, which has
become "native" over the years, often finds no reason whatsoever to attempt
to learn english, because they have created an almost entirely
self-contained culture. Doesn't do them much good when they venture out
from it, however, and I suspect they get taken advantage of from time to
time. And I'll admit it has become very frustrating to me as well! Perhaps
I should keep a spanish/english phrasebook handy?

I think the key is that one ought to *try* to communicate in the native
language of the culture-at-large, even clumsily through a phrasebook.
People appreciate the effort, but I suspect people (those who'd need the
phrasebook) think it's humiliating. But ya gotta start somewhere!

Reminds me on a project I ought to get around to one of these days,
suggested by a shop on the NBDA email list. A tabloid-sized piece of paper
with a bike on it, and arrows pointing to the relevant parts with both
English & Spanish labels on them. Could save a lot of grief!

Morgan Fletcher

Jun 20, 2003, 11:25:03ā€ÆAM6/20/03
"Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> writes:
> There are idiots in every country. Bear in mind that the French think that
> Parisienes (spelling) are rude. BTW as a brit what is a "Cutters" t shirt.

Cutters was the relay team that raced the "Little Indy 500" in the '70s
movie _Breaking Away_.

_Breaking Away_ that really sold bicycle racing to the American public. It
tells the story of a group of four teenage friends, outcasts, one of whom
is in love with the roadie lifestyle and an Italophile, and naive. He
enters college instead of becoming a road racer full time. The college he
enters has an historic team-relay bicycle race held on a cinder track using
school-supplied fixed-gear bikes. (This part is true, see "Little Indy
500".)

Part of the reason they are outcasts is because they come from
working-class families, and in this town the working class worked in the
quarries, cutting limestone. This industry has died out, leaving the town
depressed. They form a team and choose the team name "Cutters". Only one
can really ride a bike, the rest are misfits who don't have the skills, and
are also challenged by fatalistic attitudes. The race favorites are a
well-honed team from an upper-crusty fraternity. Of course they win, after
a long and harrowing race. It's a good underdog flick.

USPS rider Christian Vande Velde's dad John played a member of the Cinzano
team that puts a pump in the young racer's spokes during a road race in the
movie. The movie also launched Dennis Quaid's career.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078902

Morgan

warren

Jun 20, 2003, 11:59:46ā€ÆAM6/20/03
In article <20030620083123...@mb-m11.aol.com>, Qui si parla
Campagnolo <vecc...@aol.com> wrote:

> Jim writes-<< The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport
> information
> > booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> > English) that she did not speak English. >><BR><BR>
>
> warren responds-<< You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a
> simple
> question in French? That's rude and presumptious. >><BR><BR>
>
> Absolutely, the french chick had every right to blow smoke in his face!!! How
> dare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!
>
> YGBSM, A person came into the shop that didn't speak english, only spanish. I
> went next door and got a guy that could translate...I guess I should have
> pissed on his foot or something since he didn't speak english, according to
> warren....

Peter, et al. Asking for the currency exhange in a foreign country is
one of only 5 or 6 phrases you really need to know. Like where is the
bathroom, where is the metro/bus/train/boat, how much does this cost, I
would like, do you have, etc. This is far different from being fluent
in the language and these few phrases and some basic vocabulary can be
learned during the flight over.

People are generally very helpful and appreciative that you make at
least some effort to speak their language. OTOH, if you're going to
LIVE in the country I think you should be at least close to fluent in
the language.

-WG

Clay Tidwell

Jun 20, 2003, 12:09:00ā€ÆPM6/20/03
"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <jonath...@planet.nlnospam> wrote in message news:<

> It would be so nice if the tourists just tried.

Yeah...the French love it when Americans try to speak their language.

Todd Kuzma

Jun 20, 2003, 12:15:00ā€ÆPM6/20/03
I assume that most Americans here have experienced the joy
of dealing with civil servants in the US. My, how courteous
they can be! Certainly not like those rude French!

Todd Kuzma

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 12:50:52ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Smile when you say that, Pardner!

Steve

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 12:51:34ā€ÆPM6/20/03

warren wrote:
> In article <bctrpi$jso$1...@terabinaries.xmission.com>, Jim Martin
> <jmar...@SPAMxmission.com> wrote:
>

>>What about the ugly french?
>>

>>The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
>>booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in

>>English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
>>information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
>>hostile to Amercians. Gimme that Jersey and I'll wear it!
>

> You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple

> question in French? That's rude and presumptious. You got what you
> deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting and learn

> at least a few words of the language just like you'd expect a French
> person to do if they were visiting the US and asking you where the
> currency exchange was.
>
> -WG

I don't know. I'm in Brooklyn, and almost no one speaks English to me!

Steve

Tom Paterson

Jun 20, 2003, 12:53:24ā€ÆPM6/20/03
>From: cla...@yahoo.com (Clay Tidwell)

>Yeah...the French love it when Americans >try to speak their language.

I'll just repeat, "worked for me". They already know you're American before you
open your mouth. The English/American accent is tough on Gallic ears, brought
home by listening to a native English speaker *loudly* and *slowly* and
*longly* making a hotel reservation at the Hotel Nicolo, Paris.
Admirable restraint shown by all others present, reaction limited to a rolling
of the eyes. Some people just don't handle having a little money very well.
--Tom Paterson

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 12:54:32ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Robert Chung wrote:

(snip)

> As G.W. Bush was quoted as saying, "the problem with the French is they have
> no word for entrepreneur."

That's great! (true or not)

Steve

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 20, 2003, 12:59:40ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <vecc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Jim writes-<< The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the
airport
> information
> > booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said
(in
> > English) that she did not speak English. >><BR><BR>
>
> warren responds-<< You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask
> simple
> question in French? That's rude and presumptious. >><BR><BR>
>
> Absolutely, the french chick had every right to blow smoke in his face!!!
How
> dare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!

The French tend to be polite if the foreigner at least makes an attempt to
speak French. After that, they will switch to English.

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 1:00:01ā€ÆPM6/20/03

G wrote:

> Tezza <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>

>>"Oh,,,, why does the rest of the world hate us so much?"
>>

>>that jersey design says it all - a little humility goes an awful long
>>way, particularly when you are on top!!! Tezza:rolleyes:
>

> Y'know, I can't speak for the French, but if a yank was walking around
> Australia with US flag/Australia equivalent, I can't honestly say how
> long he would survive for..
>
> Imagine a Japanese Tourist in the USA in the 1980's wearing a map of the
> USA with the rising sun....

At least they paid cash.

Steve

st...@printemp.net

Jun 20, 2003, 1:07:16ā€ÆPM6/20/03
On 6/20/03 8:59 AM, in article 200620030858386315%war...@usvh.com, "warren"
<war...@usvh.com> wrote:

> In article <20030620083123...@mb-m11.aol.com>, Qui si parla
> Campagnolo <vecc...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim writes-<< The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport
>> information
>>> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
>>> English) that she did not speak English. >><BR><BR>
>>
>> warren responds-<< You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a
>> simple
>> question in French? That's rude and presumptious. >><BR><BR>
>>
>> Absolutely, the french chick had every right to blow smoke in his face!!! How
>> dare the American not be fluent in french when in france!!!!
>>
>> YGBSM, A person came into the shop that didn't speak english, only spanish. I
>> went next door and got a guy that could translate...I guess I should have
>> pissed on his foot or something since he didn't speak english, according to
>> warren....
>

> OTOH, if you're going to LIVE in the country I think you should be at least

close to fluent in
> the language.

Does not seem to be the case in the US does it.............
If we think like that we are considered "racist" (what a crock!)

> -WG

Boyd Speerschneider

Jun 20, 2003, 2:03:36ā€ÆPM6/20/03
Morgan Fletcher <mor...@hahaha.org> wrote in

> "Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>> There are idiots in every country. Bear in mind that the French think
>> that Parisienes (spelling) are rude. BTW as a brit what is a
>> "Cutters" t shirt.
>
> Cutters was the relay team that raced the "Little Indy 500" in the
> '70s movie _Breaking Away_.

Its the "Little 500" (or "Lil' 5" locally), not "Little Indy 500".
Small point, but one that had to be made.

> _Breaking Away_ that really sold bicycle racing to the American
> public. It tells the story of a group of four teenage friends,
> outcasts, one of whom is in love with the roadie lifestyle and an
> Italophile, and naive. He enters college instead of becoming a road
> racer full time. The college he enters has an historic team-relay
> bicycle race held on a cinder track using school-supplied fixed-gear
> bikes. (This part is true, see "Little Indy 500".)

He doesn't enter college until the end of the movie, well after they had
won the race. BTW, unlike the movie, townies aren't allowed in the race,
only IU students. I never did like the movie, or the race that much for
a number of reasons, this misrepresentation being one of them. Also,
there is still a "Cutters" team. But, they aren't really Cutters (ie.,
there parents didnt' work in the quarries). They are an independent team
(ie., not in a fraternity). These "Cutter" idiots just go to show that
they really didn't pay that much attention to the movie. I'm sure that
fronting to be "Cutters" can really infuriate some of the locals who
actually are.

I know where the swimming quarry from the movie is. If you get caught
swimming there, you will get arrested for trespassing; there is a huge
fence around it. It seems some fraternity idiot went swimming there drunk
and managed to off himself. I'm sure he was at least a runner up for the
Darwin award. Bravo!!! Way to ruin it for everyone. That's all right
though, 'cause its covered in slimy green algae and sea weed anyway :p

Still, there are some scenes in the movie that are classic.

> Part of the reason they are outcasts is because they come from
> working-class families, and in this town the working class worked in
> the quarries, cutting limestone. This industry has died out, leaving
> the town depressed. They form a team and choose the team name
> "Cutters". Only one can really ride a bike, the rest are misfits who
> don't have the skills, and are also challenged by fatalistic
> attitudes. The race favorites are a well-honed team from an
> upper-crusty fraternity. Of course they win, after a long and
> harrowing race. It's a good underdog flick.
>
> USPS rider Christian Vande Velde's dad John played a member of the
> Cinzano team that puts a pump in the young racer's spokes during a
> road race in the movie. The movie also launched Dennis Quaid's career.
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Title?0078902
>
> Morgan

- Boyd S. ex Lil' 5 rider

Kenny

Jun 20, 2003, 2:27:15ā€ÆPM6/20/03
> The one time I was in Paris, I asked the woman at the airport information
> booth were I could change currency. She blew smoke in my face and said (in
> English) that she did not speak English. This was a woman working in the
> information booth at a major international airport and she was openly
> hostile to Amercians.

You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes too far,
especially when it comes to speeking other languages. Because French
is a language that is spoken in so many countries they don't find it
necesarry to learn other languages. French is the most important
language in the world to them. I'm pretty sensitive about that and i
really get mad if a walloon here in belgium doesn't even speak a few
dutch words.
But i guess speaking only their mother tongue is typical to the people
who speak one of the three world-languages: spanish, english and
french. Although i think the french excell in really not (trying to)
understanding any other language.
That's the advantage of speaking a small language like dutch: you have
to learn other languages which is very enriching.

Adam Hodges Myerson

Jun 20, 2003, 2:39:58ā€ÆPM6/20/03
in article 64m5fvknoma1vppfi...@news.xs4all.nl, Ewoud Dronkert
at nos...@invalid.info wrote on 6/20/03 5:53 AM:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:40:39 +0200, Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
>> Where I live, I regurarly am spoken to in english...people assume I don't
>> speak dutch even without asking.
>

> At first I thought they assumed because you're not Dutch and they can
> tell by looking at you, but then I realized what you meant. Sorry.

But I found in Holland that if I asked someone if they spoke English, in
Dutch or in English, before I began to blab away, they were usually offended
that I might think they _didnŔt_ speak English. It was like, "I'm an
Amsterdamer, of course I speak English. Don't be stupid."

When Dutch people found out my wife we taking Dutch lessons and trying to
learn the language, they thought that was the funniest thing they'd ever
heard. "Why on earth would you learn Dutch," one Dutch person asked her.
"It's the most useless language in the world. We all speak English."

I thought that was pretty good stuff.

Adam

Robert Chung

Jun 20, 2003, 4:42:29ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Clay Tidwell" <cla...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This is what I've found.

Robert Chung

Jun 20, 2003, 4:44:04ā€ÆPM6/20/03

> OTOH, if you're going to LIVE in the country I think
> you should be at least close to fluent in the language.

One isn't always given that chance.

Robert Chung

Jun 20, 2003, 4:48:04ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Kenny" <gele...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes
> too far, especially when it comes to speeking other languages.
> Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries
> they don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.

I don't get that feeling at all.

> I'm pretty
> sensitive about that and i really get mad if a walloon here in
> belgium doesn't even speak a few dutch words.

Um, Walloons not speaking Dutch is a different case entirely.

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 5:05:33ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Robert Chung wrote:
> "Kenny" <gele...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes
>> too far, especially when it comes to speeking other languages.
>>Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries
>>they don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.
>

> I don't get that feeling at all.

That their chauvinism goes too far, or that they don't find it
necessary to learn other languages?

Steve

Dashi Toshii

Jun 20, 2003, 5:09:46ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Ilan Vardi" <il...@tonyaharding.org> wrote in message
> "Stan Cox" <stanD...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > "Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message

> > > and the award goes to Nashbar

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&
> > sku=9034&brand=
> > >

> > Now thats one jersey I wouldnt wear in France.
>
> I've been wondering whether this is just a French phenomenon. On at least
> two occasions, I've cycled next to Americans here in Paris, and they have
> been unable to figure out that I may have lived in the US, despite my
> US club jersey.

Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a
painting of a cat on her t-shirt.

The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my
pussy"!

Dashii

Robert Chung

Jun 20, 2003, 5:16:23ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Steven Bornfeld" <mars...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Robert Chung wrote:
> > "Kenny" <gele...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>You got your point there. The chauvinisme of the french goes
> >> too far, especially when it comes to speeking other languages.
> >>Because French is a language that is spoken in so many countries
> >>they don't find it necesarry to learn other languages.
> >
> > I don't get that feeling at all.
>
> That their chauvinism goes too far, or that they don't find it
> necessary to learn other languages?

I think the French understand that it's necessary to learn other languages.
That's why a requirement for the high school degree is two different
foreign languages: 7 years of a primary foreign language and 5 years of a
secondary foreign language.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 20, 2003, 6:16:57ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

>OTOH, if you're going to

> LIVE in the country I think you should be at least close to fluent in
> the language.

Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it take
you to become fluent?

Gerald Mann

Jun 20, 2003, 6:27:16ā€ÆPM6/20/03
velo...@aol.com (G. Focker) wrote in message news:<f11d87e1.0306...@posting.google.com>...
> warren <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message news:<190620032101531015%war...@usvh.com>...

> > You mean you went to France and didn't know how to ask a simple
> > question in French? That's rude and presumptious. You got what you
> > deserved. Have more respect for the country you're visiting and learn
> > at least a few words of the language > -WG
>
> Uh,
> Kind like we have expect the many illegal hispanic immigrants to
> learn english so much that we've began changing some street signs and
> most small signs to bi-lingual? Or how we make excuses for our own
> poor education and create optional languages like ebonics. HE never
> said he made no effort to
> learn any phrase in french, he simply related an experience. Seems
> like you're the one being presumtuious and maybe even a little nieve.
> Focker

What is your first language? Doesn't appear to be English...

Gerald

Dave M Wyman

Jun 20, 2003, 6:42:33ā€ÆPM6/20/03
Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> Probably one of the same dorks that would where a "Cutters" t-shirt over
> there.
> Talk about "the ugly american" ;)

What is objectionable about a Cutters t-shirt to the French?

Dave

--

http://www.davewyman.com

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Carl Sundquist

Jun 20, 2003, 6:43:49ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"Dashi Toshii" <Tos...@Jpn.com> wrote in message

> Happens fairly often in Japan, while there I saw a teenage girl with a
> painting of a cat on her t-shirt.
>
> The words below the painting were in English and read: "Please pat my
> pussy"!
>
> Dashii

Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.

Nick Burns

Jun 20, 2003, 6:43:04ā€ÆPM6/20/03
You don't get it, do you...

"Steven Bornfeld" <mars...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

BW

Jun 20, 2003, 6:54:35ā€ÆPM6/20/03
In article <vf73gj7...@corp.supernews.com>, Carl Sundquist
<car...@cox-internet.com> wrote:

Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 7:06:50ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Nick Burns wrote:
> You don't get it, do you...

Why would you say that?

Steve

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 7:08:14ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Actually, I thought it was Topo Gigio.

Steve

heather halvorson

Jun 20, 2003, 7:40:25ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Lindsay wrote:

> Hell, if a French rider could just win a stage ...

i know you're exaggerating on purpose, but the french do win stages now
and then. for example, they won 2 stages last year. looking at the
results, it's the belgians who are completely missing.

from
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2002/tour02/?id=results/stage00, etc.

usa - 4 stage wins
prologue Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service
st 11 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service
st 12 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service
st 19 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service
------------------------------
australia - 3 stage wins
st 3 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Lotto-Adecco
st 7 Bradley McGee (Aus) FDJeux.com
st 20 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Lotto-Adecco
------------------------------
france, ned, spain, col - 2 stage wins
st 10 Patrice Halgand (Fra) Jean Delatour
st 14 Richard Virenque (Fra) Domo-Farm Frites
st 8 Karsten Kroon (Ned) Rabobank
st 16 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank
st 2 Oscar Freire (Spa) Mapei-Quick Step
st 4 (ttt) Once team, counting it as a spanish win (??)
st 9 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca
st 15 Santiago Botero (Col) Kelme-Costa Blanca
------------------------------
germany, italy, norway, great br, estonia, sw - 1 stage
st 6 Erik Zabel (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom
st 17 Dario Frigo (Ita) Tacconi Sport
st 18 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Credit Agricole
st 13 David Millar (GBr) Cofidis
st 5 Jaan Kirsipuu (Est) Ag2R Prevoyance
st 1 Rubens Bertogliati (Swi) Lampre Daikin
------------------------------
belgium - big ol zero

warren

Jun 20, 2003, 7:44:46ā€ÆPM6/20/03
In article <tJLIa.13617$Jw6.5...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, Kurgan
Gringioni <kgringioni.rem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Less than 2 months. When I was in college the people who went to France
and other countries for junior year abroad spent their first 6 weeks
there learning the language and became fluent during that time.

-WG

warren

Jun 20, 2003, 7:47:28ā€ÆPM6/20/03
In article <3EF3938A...@earthlink.net>, Steven Bornfeld
<mars...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Nick Burns wrote:
> > You don't get it, do you...
>
> Why would you say that?
>
> Steve

Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
IS a French word.

-WG

Stewart Fleming

Jun 20, 2003, 8:22:55ā€ÆPM6/20/03

BW wrote:

Did she actually say it on the Johnny Carson Show (i.e. "Would you like to pet
my pussy?") or is this just urban legend in the same vein as Arnold Palmer's
wife's comments (JC: "What do you do before a tournament?", "I kiss his balls
for good luck"; JC: "I bet that makes his putter stand on end!")
STF

Mark Janeba

Jun 20, 2003, 8:31:20ā€ÆPM6/20/03
warren wrote:
> In article <3EF3938A...@earthlink.net>, Steven Bornfeld
> <mars...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Nick Burns wrote:
>>
>>>You don't get it, do you...
>>
>> Why would you say that?
>>
>>Steve
>

> Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
> IS a French word.
>
> -WG

I thought he meant whether or not it was true that GWB actually said
this. (Completely credible to me, BTW, but that's not the same as
documented as true.)

-Mark Janeba

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 20, 2003, 9:17:39ā€ÆPM6/20/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

Uhhh, I doubt that counts as fluency.

My first language is Chinese, not English, I grew up speaking it at home,
took 6 quarters of it in college, been there 3 times (though for no longer
than 1 month at a time). I'm not even close to being fluent, although I have
no accent.

Your buddies probably think they're fluent just because they can order at a
restaurant, find a bathroom or get laid by foreigners who are interested in
Americans. Being able to hold an in-depth conversation is the true measure
and that takes longer than 2 months.

BTW, do you know any other languages? Because this 2 month thing seriously
smacks of talking out ur ass.

Gerard Lanois

Jun 20, 2003, 9:30:06ā€ÆPM6/20/03
warren <war...@usvh.com> writes:

> In article <3EF3938A...@earthlink.net>, Steven Bornfeld
> <mars...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Nick Burns wrote:
> > > You don't get it, do you...
> >
> > Why would you say that?
> >
> > Steve
>
> Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
> IS a French word.

I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really
said that".

-Gerard
(Notes that both Bart and Ilan have used the word "servility"
in this thread.)

warren

Jun 20, 2003, 9:40:31ā€ÆPM6/20/03
In article <TmOIa.13654$Jw6.5...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, Kurgan
Gringioni <kgringioni.rem...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message
> > In article <tJLIa.13617$Jw6.5...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, Kurgan
> > Gringioni <kgringioni.rem...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

> > > Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it
> take
> > > you to become fluent?
> >
> > Less than 2 months. When I was in college the people who went to France
> > and other countries for junior year abroad spent their first 6 weeks
> > there learning the language and became fluent during that time.
>

> Uhhh, I doubt that counts as fluency.

It did according my French teacher, my brother who lived and raced
there for 4 months, and another French teacher I knew personally who
only spoke French to their daughter from the time she was 2-3 years
old.

> Your buddies probably think they're fluent just because they can order at a
> restaurant, find a bathroom or get laid by foreigners who are interested in
> Americans. Being able to hold an in-depth conversation is the true measure
> and that takes longer than 2 months.

Maybe you just needed a better teacher. :-)

> BTW, do you know any other languages? Because this 2 month thing seriously
> smacks of talking out ur ass.

I had one semester of Italian and my wife is a certified interpreter
for ASL. I know what fluent means to me and it goes far beyond the
examples you gave. I learned all of that stuff in a few weeks of class,
but I never said I was fluent in French.

-WG

Io parlo franglais.

Kyle Legate

Jun 20, 2003, 9:35:31ā€ÆPM6/20/03
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would
> it take you to become fluent?

I'll let you know. I'm moving to Germany in a week.

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 20, 2003, 10:49:28ā€ÆPM6/20/03

Gerard Lanois wrote:
> warren <war...@usvh.com> writes:
>

>>In article <3EF3938A...@earthlink.net>, Steven Bornfeld
>><mars...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Why would you say that?
>>>
>>>Steve
>>
>>Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
>>IS a French word.
>

> I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really
> said that".

That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible to
believe--I've got the book "George W. Bushisms"--wonder if Vol. II is
being readied.
Sorry for the dangling modifier.

Steve

Dashi Toshii

Jun 21, 2003, 12:15:34ā€ÆAM6/21/03

"Stewart Fleming" <stewart...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message

Jack Parr: When live TV was the norm, some guest on his show said something
like: " I would feel silly doing that", Jack said: "Put your hand in my
pocket and you may feel nuts"!

His show was immediately blacked out, or so the legend goes.

Dashii

warren

Jun 21, 2003, 12:57:34ā€ÆAM6/21/03
In article <200620031839199271%war...@usvh.com>, warren
<war...@usvh.com> wrote:

I forgot to add, at the completion of the 6-week intensive French
course the students were then able to take normal college classes at a
French University with no allowances made for the American students.
I'd consider that to be fluent, maybe you wouldn't.

-WG

Robert Chung

Jun 21, 2003, 1:24:56ā€ÆAM6/21/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

You're talking out of your ass. I've seen those college students who spend
their first 6 weeks here learning the language. Affluent describes them more
than fluent.

Robert Chung

Jun 21, 2003, 1:34:03ā€ÆAM6/21/03

> Gerard Lanois wrote:
> > I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush
> > ever really said that".
>
> That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible
> to believe

I agree. The original source of the quote was supposed to be Tony Blair, but
now Tony Blair's spokesman denies that Blair said it. And we all know that
spokesmen never lie.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 21, 2003, 1:37:39ā€ÆAM6/21/03
> I assume that most Americans here have experienced the joy
> of dealing with civil servants in the US. My, how courteous
> they can be! Certainly not like those rude French!

Todd: At the same time, both you & I have probably witnessed a conversation
between one of our staff and a customer in which it really wasn't apparent
to the employee that he/she came across in a way that seemed rather rude &
abrupt.

It's tough to be at your best 100% of the time when you're dealing with a
seemingly-endless number of people, each with their own set of questions,
some of which may require a fair amount of legwork for little financial gain
or purpose. We don't have it so bad, because our days are broken up into
all manner of different activities. But the person who has to sit behind
the counter, all day long, never fast enough to keep the line from getting
longer and longer and longer...

Not an excuse for poor service, just one of those "There but for the grace
of God go I" type of things.

For what it's worth, every shopping experience for me is an opportunity to
see how things we do from the other side of the counter might appear to our
customers. I always try to keep that in mind when things get really crazy
at the shop.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Precious Pup

Jun 21, 2003, 1:28:18ā€ÆAM6/21/03

Steven Bornfeld wrote:

> Gerard Lanois wrote:
> > warren <war...@usvh.com> writes:

> >>Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
> >>IS a French word.
> >

> > I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really
> > said that".
>
> That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible to
> believe--I've got the book "George W. Bushisms"--wonder if Vol. II is
> being readied.
> Sorry for the dangling modifier.

The joke is that it is a french word and the french don't know what it means. It's even more funny because
the statement is attributed to a guy with the language skills of a third grader. So when a "foreign" third
grader knows more in your language than you do, then you're pretty much a dumb fuck.

Com-pre-hen-de mofo's?

warren

Jun 21, 2003, 1:45:42ā€ÆAM6/21/03
In article <3ef3ec2d$0$4611$626a...@news.free.fr>, Robert Chung
<inv...@nospam.com> wrote:

> "warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message
> > In article <tJLIa.13617$Jw6.5...@news1.news.adelphia.net>, Kurgan
> > Gringioni <kgringioni.rem...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

> > > Fluency takes time. If you moved to France tommorrow, how long would it
> take
> > > you to become fluent?
> >
> > Less than 2 months. When I was in college the people who went to France
> > and other countries for junior year abroad spent their first 6 weeks
> > there learning the language and became fluent during that time.
>
> You're talking out of your ass. I've seen those college students who spend
> their first 6 weeks here learning the language. Affluent describes them more
> than fluent.

They are able to take college courses at a French University where
there's no English spoken in class. To me, that's fluent.

-WG

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 21, 2003, 1:46:07ā€ÆAM6/21/03
> I forgot to add, at the completion of the 6-week intensive French
> course the students were then able to take normal college classes at a
> French University with no allowances made for the American students.
> I'd consider that to be fluent, maybe you wouldn't.

I'd consider that very impressive, but not necessarily fluent.

A guy I know at TREK (product manager for wheels) was telling me about how
he lived in France for some time and could speak and understand French
pretty well, but didn't consider himself "fluent" for many years. His
definition of fluency? The ability to take part in a meaningful political
discussion, not just everyday stuff. Makes sense to me. It's one thing to
know and speak the language, it's another to pick up on all the subtle
context.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 21, 2003, 1:51:29ā€ÆAM6/21/03
> The French tend to be polite if the foreigner at least makes an attempt to
> speak French. After that, they will switch to English.

Nearly always the case in the outlying areas and countryside. But in Paris?
Amazing how many times I tried to get by in French (very poor French) and
was answered in English (much better than my French). Many, many times.
Very strange scene... me trying to work on French, placing an order for
something, and them answering in English. I think this happens because
Paris is, after all, a big city with lots of things going on and people are
generally in a rush to get someplace. They don't have time to help teach
you French, nor are they particularly offended that you don't.

Elsewhere, particularly in the South, many find it admirable that you at
least try. It's also been pointed out to me that, even when they do speak
English, they don't think they do so very well and are reluctant to display
what they feel are less-than-stellar skills at our language, until you've
helped to break the barrier a bit by showing your own less-than-stellark
skills at theirs.

Robert Chung

Jun 21, 2003, 2:02:28ā€ÆAM6/21/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

When I arrived in Paris a couple of years ago, I took these classes
alongside these students. I know the abilities of these students after 6
weeks. They're not fluent.

Howard Kveck

Jun 21, 2003, 4:27:49ā€ÆAM6/21/03
In article <FDOIa.455$BC3.1...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Kyle Legate" <leg...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

I've been told that a "berliner" is the name of a pastry in Germany. So Kennedy's famous speech
might have been heard by Germans as: "I am a jelly donut."

--
tanx,
Howard

Read.
Think.
Type.
Send.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

For some people, quantity IS quality...

Robert Chung

Jun 21, 2003, 5:44:02ā€ÆAM6/21/03

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mik...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

I use a similar but more pragmatic litmus test: fluency isn't what you have
when things go well; it's what you need when things go poorly. Thus,
successfully asking for something in a store isn't fluency--it's when you
have to go back and argue for a refund from a recalcitrant clerk that's
fluency.

Alas, I may never be able to pick up on all the subtle context. In the U.S.,
part of what made me valuable was the ability to sit silently in meetings
and pick up on cues, both verbal and nonverbal. Here, all I get is what they
say, not all the stuff they don't.

G. Focker

Jun 21, 2003, 8:45:48ā€ÆAM6/21/03
geral...@cox.net (Gerald Mann) wrote in message > What is your first language? Doesn't appear to be English...

> Gerald

It may not be, you wouldn't know, but you understood what I was saying
didn't you? I'll try to master the keyboard better in the future, so
as not offend your textbook sensibilities. Is calling you a dickhead a
proper closing in english? Just wondering.....

Love anad Kisses,
Focker

Carl Sundquist

Jun 21, 2003, 10:02:37ā€ÆAM6/21/03

> > > Must have been Zsa Zsa Gabor's great granddaughter.
> >
> > Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....
>
> Did she actually say it on the Johnny Carson Show (i.e. "Would you like to
pet
> my pussy?") or is this just urban legend

Dunno for sure, but near the end of his run, Carson had Jane Fonda on the
show as a guest. She quoted the legend and asked him if it was true. In
typical Carson style he just held an expression somewhere between
bewilderment, annoyance, and amusement, without saying anything. In the end,
he neither admitted nor denied that it happened.

Jay Hill

Jun 21, 2003, 12:02:56ā€ÆPM6/21/03
Carl Sundquist wrote:

>>>Carl, that line will be lost on the post-Carson, Jay Leno generation....
>>
>>Did she actually say it on the Johnny Carson Show (i.e. "Would you like to
> pet my pussy?") or is this just urban legend

Yes, she did. His reply was "yes, but you'll have to move your cat."
You can see it on the commercials they run trying to sell video tapes
of his shows.

--
A. Top posters

Dashi Toshii

Jun 21, 2003, 3:15:42ā€ÆPM6/21/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

I think that the only way this would be even remotely possible is if the
person was immersed in the language class 24/7 for six weeks.

I took Japanese I - through IV and in no way was I fluent.

I then went on a 2 week bike trip to Shikoku and started to become fairly
good at the language because I had to, sink or swim.

Dashii

> -WG

Ken Papai

Jun 21, 2003, 3:25:46ā€ÆPM6/21/03

"Robert McMillen" <robert....@ssrc.msstate.edu> wrote in message
> and the award goes to Nashbar

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=137&subcategory=1207&sku=9034&brand=

I would love one of those jerseys.

Steven L. Sheffield

Jun 21, 2003, 3:41:21ā€ÆPM6/21/03

Kennedy's mistake was in saying "Ich bin ein berliner" instead of "Ich bin
Berliner" ...

in article YOURhoward-3A33D...@netnews.attbi.com, Howard Kveck

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 21, 2003, 3:45:12ā€ÆPM6/21/03

> I forgot to add, at the completion of the 6-week intensive French
> course the students were then able to take normal college classes at a
> French University with no allowances made for the American students.
> I'd consider that to be fluent, maybe you wouldn't.

Your standard is very low, Masters Fattie.

www.dictionary.com

fluĀ·ent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flnt) adj.

Able to express oneself readily and effortlessly: a fluent speaker; fluent
in three languages.
Flowing effortlessly; polished: speaks fluent Russian; gave a fluent
performance of the sonata

<snip>

It only takes 2 months to become an proficient bike racer too.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 21, 2003, 3:48:50ā€ÆPM6/21/03

"warren" <war...@usvh.com> wrote in message

Warren, you've got your head up your ass.

I did a similar thing in China, at Bei Da (Beijing University) for 3 weeks.
I'm not fluent, not even close.

2 months to get fluent! I cannot exagerrate how full of shit you are on this
issue.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jun 21, 2003, 3:51:10ā€ÆPM6/21/03

"Kyle Legate" <leg...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Sweet. In two months you'll be fluent.

If you move to 5 other countries in the next year (2 months per country),
you will be fluent in 7 languages. Badass.

Adam Hodges Myerson

Jun 21, 2003, 3:55:39ā€ÆPM6/21/03
Nein. "Ich komme aus Berlin" was what he was trying to say.

It would have only been better if it was warm that day, and he had tried to
translate literally and said "Ich bin heisse". That would have really been
historic.

Adam

in article BB1A10FD.262A%ste...@veloworks.com, Steven L. Sheffield at

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 21, 2003, 4:12:04ā€ÆPM6/21/03
In article <3EF3C7B8...@earthlink.net>,
Steven Bornfeld <mars...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Gerard Lanois wrote:
> > warren <war...@usvh.com> writes:

> >>Saying, "true or not" implies that you don't realize that "entrepeneur"
> >>IS a French word.
> >

> > I interpreted the "true or not" as "true or not that Bush ever really
> > said that".
>

> That is correct. Some Bush quotes are almost impossible to
> believe--I've got the book "George W. Bushisms"--wonder if Vol. II is
> being readied.
> Sorry for the dangling modifier.

W. is one of the more amazing off-the-cuff speakers to become President,
but you should keep in mind that for most public figures, journalists
routinely edit their occasional nonsense quotes to get to the obvious or
intended phrasing.

If they did not do this with Jean Chretien, Canadian Prime Minister and
bilingual master of the malapropism, he would be incomprehensible in
both official languages.

Bill Clinton was a very articulate extemporaneous speaker, something
which had almost no bearing on his policy, suitability for office, or
character. It did give him a firmer command of the bully pulpit, though,
and that is a powerful component of the office.

ObJersey: Nashbar is selling a Quisp Cereal jersey, which is just too
cool.

One of my local clubs, the NSMBA, has what may be the most garish jersey
in history. It has a busy, primarily Agent Orange design, which appears
to be designed so the bodies of errant freeriders can be found when they
disappear into the forest. Unfortunately, this design isn't visible on
their website yet.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos,
--
Ryan Cousineau, rcou...@sfu.ca http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Stewart Fleming

Jun 21, 2003, 5:24:04ā€ÆPM6/21/03

"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:

> Kennedy's mistake was in saying "Ich bin ein berliner" instead of "Ich bin
> Berliner" ...

If Kennedy had been fluent in German, he would have known to use the capital
'B' to denote a noun in both cases.

STF (pronounced differently)

Kyle Legate

Jun 21, 2003, 5:16:47ā€ÆPM6/21/03
If I include Belgium as one of those contries, I can learn two languages at
the same time, to bring my fluency to 8 languages. It's all about being
efficient.

us

Jun 21, 2003, 5:38:32ā€ÆPM6/21/03
this is all effluent to me.................... :p
It is loading more messages.